New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Any Street Fighter RPG fans in the house?

Keep getting this recurring itch to run Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game. Just wondering if there's anyone on these forums who remembers it fondly.

What kinds of games have you run with it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Any Street Fighter RPG fans in the house?

Still have the books. For the longest time, I thought it was weird that Block let you Dodge and it added to soak, until I re-read a first edition WoD book and recalled that Dodge actually added to soak originally instead of subtracting from attack successes. I also find it a fatal fault of suggested chargen that it keeps you very low, even when there were eventually several high school girls added to the SF setting (Karin, Sakura, Ibuki, Elena, and Makoto... possibly also Ibuki's friend Sarai, eventually) who could slug it out with the original cast on fairly even footing. So that "promising zero to fully realized fighter" arc that they were trying to run doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of enthusiasm for the game.

My group never really had very much success in doing long-term stuff, so attempts at playing SF worked out about that well, with the added distraction of no one taking it particularly seriously and the presence of an SNES, Genesis, or Playstation nearby. I occasionally pondered using it as a replacement for dungeon crawl fantasy games in terms of systems, but don't really have an attachment to those, so I didn't really do much with that, either.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I never played it, but back in the day it was the only WoD game that interested me. My interest was not beloved by the local Vampire/Werewolf wannabees, so I never got to scratch that it.

Surprisingly, I am not a video gamer, so I have no familiarity with the source material beyond some fanfic from an anime author I like.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

This was my introduction to tabletop RPGs, but it wasn't done very well. The DM didn't have dice, so we used some homebrew method I don't remember to handle things, but I think it wound up being higher dice pool always won. He also ran my mentor as the cliche "pervey sage" of some animes, which I didn't care for. He did, however, do a decent job at making a cool plot that led us from one PC's humble dojo to discovering an illegal operation behind a fighting tournament.

I think I recall correctly that Athletics and Dexterity were more important than most other things, due to how it was used to determine speed, initiative, or something similar. I'm now used to Dexterity being one of the most important stats for combat, from other d10-based games, but Athletics mattering a lot is still a oddball thing to me (even if it makes sense thematically.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah. Dexterity was initiative and initiative was God.

Athletics was just movement speed.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    I never played it, but back in the day it was the only WoD game that interested me. My interest was not beloved by the local Vampire/Werewolf wannabees, so I never got to scratch that it.

Surprisingly, I am not a video gamer, so I have no familiarity with the source material beyond some fanfic from an anime author I like.
    It wasn't a WoD game. It just used a similar system, which was partially recycled for WoD: Combat, a setup that didn't get touched again after it was released (mentioned here and there, but never really built upon). The closest you would get to using SF stuff in a WoD game would be if you were using Shih from Demon Hunter X, and you'd need to wing the maneuver conversion a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Yeah. Dexterity was initiative and initiative was God.

Athletics was just movement speed.
    If you were using Focus Maneuvers, things got flipped and Wits became Initiative/Speed. As it probably should have been for everything (that, or have a separate "Alertness" Technique instead of making it an Ability), but what got printed was what got printed.
    Last edited by SaurOps; 2018-04-11 at 07:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I read the book once. I found the system clunky but I was so enchanted that someone had even put together an attempt!

I never got to play. The owner, our usual DM, was a bit of a flake.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Never got it, but I still wonder what kind of campaign you can do with it. What do you do, besides fighting in a tournament? I mean, that sounds like a combat simulator.
    What can change the nature of a man?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn4 View Post
    Never got it, but I still wonder what kind of campaign you can do with it. What do you do, besides fighting in a tournament? I mean, that sounds like a combat simulator.
    Well, you are always going to be combat-heavy, and the rules (overly) towards single-combats versus melees.

But the game has the full selection of Storyteller skills & attributes. My games have always featured lot of investigation, dramatic showdowns (before the punching) and things like that.

One of my favorites is to have the PCs start as youth volunteers, getting drawn more and more into gang warfare... until they eventually play through the events of Final Fight.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

This is the campaign I was in, at least until we stopped playing.

We had 3 PCs. The young owner of a dojo her father left her, a computer hacker/monkish chi-based fighter, and another I don't remember well. It started as a street gang attacking the dojo, leading us to realize they were working for some underground organization. We were tipped off to some fighting tournament they were behind, so we joined in it. As we investigated, we discovered that some of the losing fighters were being captured & experimented on/turned into mindless soldiers.

It wound up being mostly 1-on-1 tournament style fights, with a couple fights against mooks.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Amything you run with it will probably be combat-heavy, but you don't have to do anything with the World Warrior tournament.

The characters are:

1) members of a karate dojo fighting a local gang who have kidnapped one of the PCs' Significant Others.

2) a maverick team of cops fighting crime (Lethal Weapon with added HaDouKen)

3) an investigative reporter and her crew following a lead on the secretive Shadaloo organisation

4) a Special Forces team dropped into hostile territory to rescue a kidnapped scientist

5) high school kids fighting rival schools for the honour of the school.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Wow! It's been decades since I've played this game.

I don't remember much. But I do seem to recall a friend of mine creating a character that had a half dozen legs or more. And we'd travel from location to location with his character secured in the back of a van. We'd open the van when it was time for a fight and we needed "it's" help.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaurOps View Post
    It wasn't a WoD game. It just used a similar system, which was partially recycled for WoD: Combat, a setup that didn't get touched again after it was released (mentioned here and there, but never really built upon). The closest you would get to using SF stuff in a WoD game would be if you were using Shih from Demon Hunter X, and you'd need to wing the maneuver conversion a lot.
    It's a shame they never made a Darkstalkers expansion. :D
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm sorry but it simulates what SF is pretty blazing well. So blame Capcom for not leaving it so shallow.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    It's a shame they never made a Darkstalkers expansion. :D
    Didn't you see the WoD logos on the Darkstalkers 3 machines ads and machines? Or read the special thanks to from the older Stargazers tribebook? (^VVVVVV^)

(I feel dirty now.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Still have all the books. Though the system definitely had its flaws, I still enjoyed it.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

I played this online once. I made badguys to fight that basically mimicked what the CPU did in fights.

Like, I made a Ryu wannabe (training under Ryu!) who had 10 chi, and a combo that was fireball, fireball, fireball (dizzy).

So what did he do?

Exactly what CPU Ryu does on the hardest difficulty.

Throw fireballs. All. Damn. Day. :P

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    I played this online once. I made badguys to fight that basically mimicked what the CPU did in fights.

Like, I made a Ryu wannabe (training under Ryu!) who had 10 chi, and a combo that was fireball, fireball, fireball (dizzy).

So what did he do?

Exactly what CPU Ryu does on the hardest difficulty.

Throw fireballs. All. Damn. Day. :P
    You loose honor for doing the same move over and over again, though. Like repetedly sweeping the leg.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Never played it but sounds interesting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I played in and ran a couple one shots. Combat is crunchy and allows several archetypes. Just ban ice blast.