New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco II: Electric Boogaloo

Avita nods. "Olidar. Don't worry, I keep getting it wrong too. Day before, he and the Church of Pelor had tried to suborn us to be their little pet murderers. Told us the Captain was a Demon and that we should kill him during the battle. Offered only the fishiest of "evidence". We told them to go bless themselves. You were supposed to silence us. Bad look for the servants of the Bright Father, openly calling hits on City officers."

She turns away, eyes downcast. "Of course, the Captain wasn't a Demon, but he was up to something fishy and tried to get us killed as well. And the whole business was already too late. And now we're all yelling and threatening each other about whose fault it is while the Demons laugh at us." She looks up and around, at the sky and the walls of the courtyard, as though wondering where the next blow will come from. Then looks again at Dirk.

"Well. I believe before we had our spirited discussion the Lieutenant said something about letting us have some better gear so I suppose we'd better go to stores and see what that amounts to. Guessing you'd feel better with some steel in your hand. And the lesson of the whole thing: don't just believe what people tell you. I don't believe half the stuff that comes out of my mouth. Of course, that's because I'm still trying to work out what the frell is going on and how to fix it..."

She heads off toward the stores, gesturing for Sarim and Dirk to follow her.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Dirk just listens, and nods apologetically, his expression confused. All he manages to say is: "thank you," before following you to the supply tent.

When you maneuver through the crowd to the other side of the compound, the supply tent is much as you remember it: a large, shapeless mass of blue canvas, dimly lit and filled with tables, barrels, and crates. You get in line, and reach the front after a wait of only a few minutes: the clerk, an elderly gnome with thick glasses and wispy, white hair, looks up from his desk. "What can I help you with?" he asks.

3. - Top - End - #33

Avita gives the Gnome a short nod. "Dirk here will be requiring some studded leather--sorry Dirk,
    I can't afford mail for myself--a shield and a weapon of some description. Preferably of the cold iron description. And the Lieutenant was saying something about the rest of us getting some new gear. Any word on that?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

The clerk glances slowly down at the papers arrayed before him, shuffles through them, then looks back up. "Yeeeessss," he says. "I did just get a message from Lieutenant Kresh." He waves a small piece of parchment, covered on both sides in very large, aggressive writing. "He says to provide whatever gear you require - within reason, of course. I can certainly get you the armour and weaponry requested." He gives Sarim a meaningful look. "But is there anything else I can help you with?"

5. - Top - End - #35

Avita looks at the Lieutenant's handwriting and tries not to smile. "Sir, if it's not too much trouble,
    could we get some kind of hard cash value on "within reason?""

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The old man sighs, takes another look at the Lieutenant's message, sighs again, and tosses it aside. "He doesn't say." Shakes his head disdainfully, as if to say "kids these days." What he really says is: "Whatever you're up to, it must be important. I'm willing to offer the two of you," he nods to Sarim, "one thousand gold pieces worth of equipment from our stores - each." Dirk gasps audibly, eyes wide.

7. - Top - End - #37

Avita speaks quickly. "Sarim, two healing belts. One for Blue-Eyes, one for yourself. Since she won't be in action until the morning, use hers on yourself right now and wear the other. As for me-" she looks down at her rent and bloodstained leathers. "-I need some better armour, but anything I could wear that's any better would seem to exceed "within reason"".

Then she thinks again. "But you know, I could use a wand of Detect Magic. That plus the belts plus Dirk's gear should see us square."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The clerk nods once. "We should have some of those in store. You heard them, Sergei." He gestures to a nearby attendant, leaning against a barrel, who runs off into the back of the tent and begins rooting through the crates and racks of weaponry. As you wait, the clerk returns to his paperwork, occasionally glancing back up at you.

After a couple minutes, the attendant returns, carrying a tray stacked with your new gear: a set of studded leather armour, bearing the Chalice of Senra. A shortsword and similarly marked metal shield. Two simple belts of dark leather, inlaid with small, blood red gemstones. A thin copper stick, no more than a foot long, with a little triangle affixed to one end - the wand.

Dirk takes his new equipment with a nod of thanks, staring at them in wonder. Eventually, he snaps out of it, and looks up, looking rather bewildered. "What now?"

9. - Top - End - #39

Avita slips the wand into the vacant slot in her quiver. "Now we have to go search Parker's residence--it's probably been ransacked already but we have to at least try--go see the Sage's guild about these books of Thaddeus's and hope to frell that they're not bent, go ask the Temple of the Saint of the Cudgel if they've seen Miss Fields and maybe ask their view on matters, go visit her family, go visit the old butler, go back to the Sage's Guild and ask about the books and about this "Kathe" fellow, and hope to the halls of Cabal Macabre all this doesn't turn out to be a waste of time. Some day off, right? And before we do any of that--" She begins walking with a determined tread toward Kresh's office. "--we see the Lieutenant, say thank you for the gear, and tell him what we're doing and see if we can't get at least some of those jobs given to some other team."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

With your new gear, you leave the supply tent and reemerge into the noise, bustle, and bright light of the compound. But before you can head back to the Apple Bush, a two-storey tavern-turned-barracks, the crowd parts to make way for Lieutenant Kresh. The muscular orc strides forward, moustache twitching, and stops right in front of you, arms crossed, brow furrowed. Three people are trailing behind him: two humans, and a goblin. Some people in the crowd stop to watch, but most continue about their business.

"Well Miss Santiago," he growls, "I've given it some thought." He speaks quickly and sharply, carefully enunciating each word. "I don't know what your plan is, but it doesn't look like you're going to be following orders." He hesitates, his teeth audibly grating together. "If I had my way, you'd be spending the next two weeks on latrine duty. But I need all the help I can get, and your team has gotten results in the past. Still, there are, what? Three of you?" He points accusatorily towards Dirk. "Not counting that idiot." He gestures to the people behind him. "These will be your new teammates. I'll leave the introductions to them, but well... you need fresh blood. Or at least a few extra hands."

11. - Top - End - #41

Avita snaps to strict attention and gives the Lieutenant a precise bow. "Sir. Plans for the rest of the day are to search the Captain's residence on the chance there's still some useful material there; then take the books and letters to the Sage's guild and hope to Pandemonium they don't just hand them right over to...other people, then-" she's starting to tick off points on her gauntleted fingers. "-attempt to track down Thaddeus's housekeeper. So that means asking at the Temple of Saint Cuthbert of whom she was-she is-a follower, calling on her family, checking back with the Sage's guild to see if they've got anything interest from the books and to enquire about that Elven sage, and if we're still on our feet after that we might call on Thaddeus's old servant, now retired, and warn him that he might be targeted. Then, I really want that bath."

Another bow. "There are things I'd rather be doing, but it's the best way I can interpret your orders." She stands straight, and looking the Orc in the eye, takes a step toward him. "Also, you should know two things. One is that Thaddeus might be capable of performing the ritual to contact the Wheeler commander. I don't think he's likely to do it or what advantage it would be, but it's a thought.

"Secondly, I just had Mister Cogsworth--Thaddeus's gnomish bodyguard--put into confinement. His testimony was proven to be less than reliable. Very critically less than reliable. When we restrained him he called upon the name of Nerull, the Hater of Life, the Foe of all Good, and Believer that Griffith Did Nothing Wrong before several dozen witnesses. I don't know if that's strictly speaking a crime but I don't want him following us around, or even on the streets, before he can be interrogated."

A step closer, looking the Lieutenant dead in the eyes unblinking. "Does all this meet with your expectations?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

The small goblin looks intensely uncomfortable being the center of attention. It's a quick and easy conclusion that anywhere but the center of attention is where he wants to be, pretty much always.

He is dressed in clothes that are clean, and serviceable, but clearly old and much mended. To the casual observer, he seems unarmed, but the more attentive will notice a rolled-up sling, and an unusual dagger, kept hidden on his person.

I er .... he begins, before immediately faltering. At least one of you is a proper-sized person, and not a giant. And no elves. Old Gods of the Dark Below and Beyond, I guess that's a blessing.

Um,
    he seems to catch himself before going on a long rant about either elves or some vague system of beliefs involving the darkness underground, I'm Rakash. I'm a thief. He seems weirdly honest about his chosen profession, maybe even proud.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-04-22 at 02:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Avita's head turns slowly and stiffly to face Rakash, and now she does blink, once. "We had an Elf.", she says shortly. "I shot him". And then turns back to the lieutenant.

"Now, sir. I'll give you excellent odds that the Housekeeper is already somewhere beyond our reach, so if you'd like to order us-" eyebrows rise briefly. "I remain with the Sages guild until they give us something to go on rather then spend the remains of the days running all about town...well,
    now or never."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Wise. Is all Rakash has to add. Rakash doesn't approve of violence, in general, but with the wickedness of elves being near-enough-universal, he's willing to assume there was ample cause.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Lieutenat Kresh thinks for a moment, face scrunched up with the effort. Eventually, "Yes. Yes, it does. I appreciate your thoroughness. I do." He shoots the goblin, Rakash, a quick look, then continues speaking quickly and quietly. "Go. Find out what you can. Be careful, but remember that time is running out."

He starts to go, then turns back. "Interrogations are scheduled to begin tonight. Thaddeus Broomsmith, the Demonspawn - and now this Cogsworth character - have much to answer for. Gods be with you."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Rakash waits until Krensh's back is turned to poke his tongue at him, then - spotted or not - quickly ducks behind someone else.

17. - Top - End - #47

Avita, keeping her back ruler-straight, visibly sets her jaw and draws thin lips apart from her teeth, but "Sir", is all she says to Kresh's departing back.

She sidesteps to face the newcomers, and holds up a spiked gauntlet in something resembling a greeting, holding her other hand behind her back. "Well, Gentlemen. Welcome to Team Idiot. Members; us. If any of us had any brains we'd have got out of town three days ago. This-" she gestures to the Dworc, "-Is Sarim Blackaxe. This fellow in the bright new leathers is Dirk, and I'm Avita Santiago. Our White Caster, Blue-Eyes--Andras Sunblade--, is off for the day, chasing some help. Now, as you've just heard our cause is just, our leads slim, our orders vague and our time short so shall we get moving and all get acquainted on the way?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Sarim gives a friendly wave to the new people joining the group. "Hello, new teammates, it's good t' meet ya. Hope we c'n work well together." It likely looks a bit jarring, given the dworc's rough appearance, but he's trying to be a friendly sort.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

The man, clad in a gull grey full plate, slides his face guard up, inclines his head to the group and presses his fist to his heart, "I am Captain Fion Mac Roich, Jasidan Cemetery Captain. It will be a pleasure to work with you"

While he's polite he looks like he's eaten something sour, or has a rock in his shoe.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-04-22 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

A handsome, black haired man, wearing a grey and red cloak over finely made banded armour, clenches a fist over his heart and greets the party with a brief bow. There is clearly more than a drop of elvish blood in him. "Sarrazin Montayne, late of the Kingdom of Krios. I am sent by my master to aid the city of Senra in this dark hour."

21. - Top - End - #51

Avita, walking past the newcomers, wheels smoothly toward them and drops a straight-backed bow. "Indeed. Well met, and our thanks. I'm sorry the place is such a mess." She straightens; looking hard at Fion. "Not of the city temple, else I'd know your face..."her eyes fix briefly on Sarrazin, then on Rakast, and then she turns again and strides toward the gates, holding up her gauntleted hand in invitation. "Well, now. Let's go. I can fill you gentlemen in on the way."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"No, i am not from the city..." If you would look close at Fion you'd see a sad look flash across his eyes, before it gets dragged off to a dark corner of his mind and taught the error of its ways and his, seemingly usual, cold, hard look is reinstated. He casually falls into a march just behind Avita. "So ma'am, what is our mission specifically? The Lieutenant was sparse on the details."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Avita doesn't turn around as she walks, but her teeth show. "We are going to search the house of the Lieutenant's predecessor, the Good Captain Parker." An audible snap of teeth. "Parker was carried off by the Wheelers--the Abyssal Invaders--yesterday morning. Seems that was less a kidnapping than extraction of an asset.

"Seems--from what we've been told-- Parker had carried out some dumb-as-jellimeat plan to save us from getting eaten by one pack of demons who want to kill us by obtaining an item that supposedly controls them and handing it over to the Wheelers. Another pack of Demons who want to kill us. Supposedly, this was to save the city. And the church of Pelor seem to be after this same artifact and are prepared to kill to get it. Only they haven't actually gone after anyone who has it and just wound up being a third set of invaders to worry about. And I don't think the item does what we're told it does anyway. And if none of this sounds like it makes any sense it's because none of this makes any sense.

"Well, since I can't make sense of any of this; we're headed for Parker's residence to search it. I'm fairly certain that we're too late, and that's it's probably been ransacked by Wheelers, Pelorites, Guardsmen who may or may not be Pelorite agents, the Girl Scouts of Austrasia, the Red-headed League, and the Royal Society for the Ethical Treatment of Shambling Mounds by now, but we have to go see if there's something they all missed that brings light to the situation.

"Then, we're going to go to the local Sage's Guild and see what they make of what we have. People telling us to go see them for days, except there's always been more urgent things to do. And the last time we did some work for them they treated us as copper-piece whores and didn't even bother thanking or debriefing us, so to speak. And all the people that have advised us to see them have turned out to be traitors. And I suspect they've got someone there giving info to the Sunnyboys anyway. But at this point we're just desperately hunting for some sort of lead and we have to at least try them."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

"So, in short ma'am, we are desperately flailing about in the dark surrounded by incompetence, political infighting, outright treason, and actual denizens of the Hellish realms." Fion lowers his visor, "Once we get to Parker's house, what in particular are we looking for ma'am?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Avita turns her head and her jaw clicks at that "Ma'am". But she responds; "Books, letters.
    Anything magical. There's a certain bronze dagger we could find to corroborate a certain story. The item that appears to be the bone of contention looks like a rod of grey glass, and that won't be there. Rakust-"
    her eyes flicker over to the Goblin. "-Might be able to make himself useful. Parker was a Gnome. There might well be places in his house that the rest of us cannot get to. Places others missed. We're just hoping we'll know something good when we see it."

She whips her bow off her back and notches an arrow. "And everyone keep and eye and ear out on the streets. Wheelers broke our perimeter yesterday and there's still things undealt with. Look around, look to the skies, look to the drains. Wheelers are using the sewers, we reckon."

Spoiler: Spottilistenibalities
    Show
    Spot (1d20-1)[18]
    Listen (1d20-1)[2]

And then she slows her face and falls back closer to the group, her voice going quiet. "Oh...and the Sunnyboys-Pelorites-even though they're invading us too we're apparently trying not to provoke them lest they stab us in the back harder. So if we have to kill another squad of them best do it without witnesses and dispose of the bodies as best we can."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Fion draws his sword and rests it on his shoulder as he scans the streets as the group heads towards Parker's place.

Spoiler: S & L
    Show

Spot: (1d20)[12]
    Listen: (1d20)[18]

At the mention of the Pelorites, Fion raises an eyebrow behind the visor, but decides to keep his mouth shut.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Demons around every corner, I'm working for law grubbers, and I have an elf at my back. I'm doomed. Mopes Rakash.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spot: (1d20+5)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[24]

You know, if it's any use to this no doubt important and noble cause, I could scout about a bit? I'm much better at that than I am at .. um .. direct confrontation with large fanged other-dimensional invaders. A spark of hope glimmers in Rakash' red eyes, and the brighter among the group propably wonder whether scouting is just another word for 'scamper and run'.

Perhaps realising this, Rakash decides to add: I promise I wont just scamper and run. Adding to this a smile, the trustworthiness of which is only slightly marred by the large number of sharp teeth.

28. - Top - End - #58

Avita wheels like a very short grenadier and holds up a hand. "Feel free. To scout, I mean. Not scarper. Although if you should see something while scouting feel free to scarper back and inform us. I fear our previous scout was a little confused on the details of..." her voice trails off, and she resumes walking. "Was a little confused about everything."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Rakash ascends to the rooftops in what can only be described as fairly spectacular manner. In mere seconds he runs - literally - jumps and climbs up walls, across balconies, over clotheslines, until he reaches a satisfactory vantage from where to survey the surroundings.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Jump: (1d20+11)[23]
    Climb: (1d20+9)[24]
    Balance: (1d20+8)[13]
    Tumble: (1d20+13)[22]

I'm sort of assuming the previous rolls for spot and listen will still suffice?

Also, when I roll an entire batch of rolls, it's not so much because I intend to use all of them - but more so that the GM doesn't have to ask for them afterwards. Pick what you feel is appropriate, sir =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-04-23 at 01:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

"Ah", says Avita, raising her head with a smile. "That's already an improvement."