The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1426
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (OOC) New Bedford by Night WtF

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Hmmm... would changing the Aspiration to something like "Forming a closer personal connection with Reveler" make more sense then? Any way that Kara moves towards becoming a better musician will automatically fulfill her goal towards helping the band go platinum.

Again, I think for me it helps if I can see scenes or interactions that would contribute towards the Aspiration, because at the very least I can try to incorporate that. If it's too nebulous, the aspiration may get lost in the fray.

I can see the scene of Reveler riding Kara, and especially if that is taboo that would be pretty dramatic, and I can think of various reasons to let that happen, but things like "helping it become more powerful" I have more trouble with.

Not trying to oppose you, just trying to find a way that I can make the proposed aspiration work, so that it can help drive the story for Kara and get her some beats.

I don't necessarily think the wording on "helping it become more power" would be the best descriptor, to be sure. I do like the idea of forming a closer connection with the Reveler. It strikes me as being really appropriate for the character. I like the idea of having the Reveler ride Kara, but I'm struggling with how to phrase it to be less nebulous. I think we're both on similar pages as far as what I'm looking for.

Just having trouble fine-tuning it.

Maybe: to better her relationship with the Reveler for the betterment of the Pack, the Reveler itself, and the band's career?
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Erulasto: I think that makes more sense. A secondary perusal of the gifts and rites recently brought me upon the rite "Totemic Empowerment" on page 143, which kinda describes the act of letting the Totem ride the player... however, I think we could allow for a less powerful, or potentially more dangerous version of this interaction if the rite is not allowed.

Shall I update your character box with the proposed Aspiration?
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

@Erulasto: I think that makes more sense. A secondary perusal of the gifts and rites recently brought me upon the rite "Totemic Empowerment" on page 143, which kinda describes the act of letting the Totem ride the player... however, I think we could allow for a less powerful, or potentially more dangerous version of this interaction if the rite is not allowed.

Shall I update your character box with the proposed Aspiration?
    Yes, please! That works great.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Updated.

@All: Anyone else want to update aspirations or spend XP???

EDIT: And I guess I should continue holding back to let the group continue chatting. As an aside, there would be plenty of plant based remedies in a hospital, many of the medications we use are derived from plants/herbs, and there are a number of "alternative medicines" kept in hospital pharmacies. Just for what that's worth.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-10-02 at 07:45 AM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So I think things boil down to:

Blaze, and Michael going the Medicine route while Solomon and Bear go after the Harbor Wolf.

What is Kara doing, the hospital, I wasn't sure?

Also, what is Blaze's plan???
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

So I think things boil down to:

Blaze, and Michael going the Medicine route while Solomon and Bear go after the Harbor Wolf.

What is Kara doing, the hospital, I wasn't sure?

Also, what is Blaze's plan???
    Google traditional medicines and get a list, maybe even what modern medicines theyíre used in.

Try to find an appropriate gathra to trade the library spirit to assist.

Break into the hospitalís inventory lists, download a copy, compare, and figure out what we want to take.

Regroup with the pack and figure out if we want to smash and grab, fake an order, pose as paramedics or delivery guys, etc.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I figured the hospital would be a good bet for Kara. Any place where she can use her social mojo. Kara's handy on a pc, though not the best so I figured she could help Blaze with his investigations and they could hit the hospital together. Even if she's just the distraction.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

Int + occult + spec (spirits) + wisdom:
    (11d10)[6][4][6][2][1][10][4][3][1][3][3](43)
    9 again: (11d10)[3][5][4][7][6][8][5][4][10][2][10](64)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Be careful with the hospital, security is high there for a reason, and the stuff we need can be obtained from much lower security places.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wow, that's an impressive dice pool, and impressive bad luck! One success.

Other than telling the spirit some great secret as a Gathra, Blaze could promise to bring more visitors to the Museum, which would increase the Essence in the Museum which sustains the knowledge spirit.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry folks. Got my butt kicked at work across the weekend. Things should be settled now. We had a real shortage of staff. Pulled some double duty.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Can a wolfblooded even enter the hisil? I thought they couldn't
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I also thought they couldn't

new aspirations:

1. Struggle with the Reveler's ban. I mentioned before Solo's not one for excess, at least not the type that satisfies the Reveler. Also not a fan of intoxication. This will be a big adjustment for him
    2. Go get those guys who shot at Bear
    3. Loot the trove we found in the cave, looking in particular for glaives like Juno's

Also spending 3 xp to buy a point of Honour Renown, also comes with a free facet; Hunt as Pack (Evasion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

First off, as mentioned in another thread, my sincere apologies for the delay in my posting. Work problems have kept me particularly busy, and in general Monday and Tuesdays will be bad days for me. However, now that I am through some of the growing pains of transitioning back to the hospital I am at currently, my post rate should be better overall for at least the next couple of weeks.

Second, all Wolf-Blooded get a "Tell" which gives them special traits that either make them more like Uratha or more useful to their pack. There are a couple of Tells that do allow Wolf-Blooded to Reach. That said, E does not have this Tell, though pack members (probably except for Michael) know that she shifts into Dalu when she gets pissed off in a fight! That said, I wasn't so much suggesting the pack brings E along, as I was playing up her naivete and pugnacious spirit.

Third, @Ladorak: I like the proposed aspirations. I will update your character box with the aspiration and the XP expenditure. Please update your character sheet if you have not done so already.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze is gonna head to the library first, he doesnít really have a gathra he can offer the spirit at the whaling museum, but he does have an ability that will help get the minor spirits at the library to help him research what ingredients heís looking for. Iirc.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-10-17 at 06:46 PM.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Sorry everyone for the delays. I was just in the dead center of something called a bomb cyclone (?) which has been terrific fun!

Power is back, and internet more than a trickle, and cellular service (yes, even that for a time!) so...Iíll be looking forward to getting caught up soon.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You were in the middle of that? Fun times. Those suckers are pretty rare. It's not often people experience a drop in pressure so fast that it spontaneously forms a storm cell.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. That sounds right terrifying! Glad youíre okay!

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Apologies to the delay in posts. IC coming now.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Daishain: Sorry if that came off as harsh, but the in the description of dog spirits, the book specifies that they tend to be pretty stand offish towards Uratha in general, and that one would have to do a lot to earn their loyalty.

I'm also putting the onus on Michael, because Izidakh is technically his Touchstone. I think he's been a little busy with RL responsibilities. I will reach out to him, and if he is too busy to respond, I will roll for Michael to keep things moving.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry folks. I've been curled up in bed with a stomach bug. Going to try and get a few posts off before gravol kicks back in and I pass out again.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hope you feel better soon Erulasto!

As previously mentioned, I did reach out to ER, but have unfortunately not heard back from him, though I assume he's got a lot on his plate IRL, which is completely understandable given what happened. To keep things moving, I am going to roll for him this time, and briefly take control of Michael till he is ready to come back.

Presence 2 + Persuasion 2 + Honor 1

(5d10)[4][1][2][9][1](17) and 10 again (5d10)[8][6][9][7][4](34)
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Thank you for the post, Benno. Just running into a few difficulties. I think everything is OK now. Thank you

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Benno!

ER: I'm glad things are okay on your end as well!

And man, I don't think I've ever actually gotten to use Resources before in any WoD game...which is really weird, now that I think about it....

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ya, I think I do a bad job of reminding players what merits they have available to them, but there are a lot that are super useful.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-10-27 at 01:00 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In the interest of indirectly answering the question for what Blaze is up to, that depends upon how far he wants to go. I definitely need to answer this an out of character, because Baier does not know this stuff.

If we are talking about a basic service that doesn't touch the motherboard or CPU , then anybody with a single point in the computer skill should be able to do it by rote. Adding in extra Ram, hard drive space, a new PSU or whatever other Hardware components it might need is not much more than just plug and play so long as you make sure that the components are compatible. After that sort of stuff, the machine is probably choked with dust and the thermal paste in between the CPU and the heat sink probably needs to be replaced. A little bit of work with a vacuum, and then some wiping with Q tips dipped into isopropyl alcohol. The one thing people mess up on along this route is in terms of replacing the thermal paste, and even then only because some people tend to be a little bit ham-fisted when removing a heat sink. After that, performing a reinstall of the operating system is about all you will need to manage.

That would make a pretty big difference, but the degree to which you can improve the performance of an old machine like this is limited without touching the motherboard or CPU, and I would not consider it efficient to mess with it beyond that point given that we are just talking about a multi media library computer. Old refurbished desktop work computers are just too cheap these days. At that level of performance, I could spend three to four hundred dollars on individual components to build/rebuild a system from scratch, or I could just pay two hundred bucks or less for a mostly new Dell that does the same job.

You could go for a laptop instead of a proper PC if you really wanted to, but the library is not going to need the mobility, and going that route can easily double the cost, not to mention reducing the expected lifespan of the donated computer and making it more likely to be stolen
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-10-27 at 02:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have to ask, just what is Blaze trying to accomplish by hacking the library computer? I can't think of any information on there that isn't already freely accessible.

Regardless, if there is something to be gained, you do not need to have previously installed anything on the machine. It's a low security computer that you have physical access to. Just bring a thumb drive loaded with the appropriate tools. Plug the drive in, let the tools do their work, take the drive when you leave.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I have to ask, just what is Blaze trying to accomplish by hacking the library computer? I can't think of any information on there that isn't already freely accessible.

Regardless, if there is something to be gained, you do not need to have previously installed anything on the machine. It's a low security computer that you have physical access to. Just bring a thumb drive loaded with the appropriate tools. Plug the drive in, let the tools do their work, take the drive when you leave.
    He is going to use the library computer to hack into the hospitalís inventory management system and figure out the best way to fake an order/delivery and rip them off.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    He is going to use the library computer to hack into the hospitalís inventory management system and figure out the best way to fake an order/delivery and rip them off.
    The library computer wouldn't be connected to the hospital system in any useful way. If you were to hack the hospital network remotely, all using the library computer would do by comparison to any other random computer is tell investigators that the library probably has some idea who the hacker is.

But given Blaze's level of skill I don't think hacking in remotely is an option anyways. Unless we somehow obtain access to someone's ID and password who is authorized to access the system from offsite, to pull that off he would need to have physical access to a computer that is on the hospital's internal network, and/or make modifications to one of those computers, and even then it could be very difficult and dangerous depending on how good their IT department is.

The hospital is a hard target anyways. Its got all sorts of security. But what we need can be obtained from all sorts of places that have zilch security. So maybe we should focus on them first?

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    The library computer wouldn't be connected to the hospital system in any useful way. If you were to hack the hospital network remotely, all using the library computer would do by comparison to any other random computer is tell investigators that the library probably has some idea who the hacker is.

But given Blaze's level of skill I don't think hacking in remotely is an option anyways. Unless we somehow obtain access to someone's ID and password who is authorized to access the system from offsite, to pull that off he would need to have physical access to a computer that is on the hospital's internal network, and/or make modifications to one of those computers, and even then it could be very difficult and dangerous depending on how good their IT department is.

The hospital is a hard target anyways. Its got all sorts of security. But what we need can be obtained from all sorts of places that have zilch security. So maybe we should focus on them first?
    That's a lot of assumptions. How exactly do you know Blaze can't hack into the hospital remotely, or that what we need can be obtained from all sorts of places, and those places have no security? We haven't yet looked at the list of substances to see what we can best weaponize, or compared the lists of substances and where they're held, or checked out the other targets to see if they have them in the quantity we need and what security they have.

Also are you sure you're looking at the right character sheet? Blaze has 9 dice for hacking, 2 short of max. I guess I could bump it up with a merit or two but honestly if we're going to shy away from something with a pool of 9 dice it's like why even bother attempting anything.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-10-28 at 08:17 AM.
    TC for short