The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: (OOC) New Bedford by Night WtF

Sorry to be that guy but how do you roll on the board and show the individual dice?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    Sorry to be that guy but how do you roll on the board and show the individual dice?
    Same as normal except you use rollv instead of roll.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...he-Dice-Roller
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-09 at 03:39 AM.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

Traveling from dec 11 to Jan 7, posting may be affected.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@TC: Would you include your characterís skill specialties either on your character sheet, or in your first OOC post with your character information. You have which skills have a specialty, but I donít see what the specialties are.

@Madmal: It should be one success. Unfortunately, the wolf senses bonus for Perception is only given in Urhan and Urshal forms (wolf and dire wolf). As far as I can tell, Imago is still in human form. If you want to change into one of those two, you could and re-roll, but remember there are other pluses and minuses to this.Because of this, it drops your roll to six and you lose that last dice that became a 9. That said...

@All: I am assuming all characters are currently in Hishu (human) form. If you wish to change form, please be explicit in this.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-09 at 07:22 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    @TC: Would you include your characterís skill specialties either on your character sheet, or in your first OOC post with your character information. You have which skills have a specialty, but I donít see what the specialties are.

@Madmal: It should be one success. Unfortunately, the wolf senses bonus for Perception is only given in Urhan and Urshal forms (wolf and dire wolf). As far as I can tell, Imago is still in human form. If you want to change into one of those two, you could and re-roll, but remember there are other pluses and minuses to this.Because of this, it drops your roll to six and you lose that last dice that became a 9. That said...

@All: I am assuming all characters are currently in Hishu (human) form. If you wish to change form, please be explicit in this.
    Yes, Kara is presently in Hishu form.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wolf senses can be activated in human form based on what I read. They just aren't on by default. I'll check on the details as soon as I can get to the book if someone hasn't beaten me by then.

And yes, Bear is in human form as well. Also he would be glaring at anyone who was baring the wolf out in full view of the neighbors.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-05-09 at 07:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

All senses can be used in any form with a conscious thought that doesn't require any rolls.

"Uratha have three sets of senses; they have those of a human, those of a wolf, and those of a spirit. Bound together, these three make for an ideal hunter. A werewolf has all her senses in all of her forms. Even when walking in a humanís skin, she can tap into the senses of wolf and spirit."
    Core Rulebook, page 94

"Human senses are considered the werewolfís default senses in Hishu and Dalu form. If she wishes to activate her other senses, she must consciously choose to, though this is a reflexive action that doesnít require a roll."
    Core Rulebook, page 94

As I understand it, you suffer from both the benefits and the drawbacks if you're actively using a different sense. For example, if you're channeling your Wolf Senses, you see less color but your sense of smell in vastly improved.

But I think you go by the modifiers on page 96-97. For example, in Hishu, using Wolf Senses only gives you a +1 to Perception tests while using Wolf Senses in Dalu gives you +2.

EDIT: Ultimately, it's Storyteller fiat though. Heh
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-09 at 08:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Sheet updated: hacking, spirits, and drums

Assume my character is in human form unless otherwise stated by me.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-09 at 09:05 PM.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

Traveling from dec 11 to Jan 7, posting may be affected.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sorry, forget to roll the dice IC

Wits (3) + Investigation (3) + Unrestricted access (2)

Just looking for any recent scents; werewolf, human, rat. Anything recent.

(8d10)[5][3][5][4][3][9][8][9](46)
    10 again (8d10)[7][3][3][9][4][1][1][8](36)
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@All: Regarding the senses rules and rules regarding Perception and Investigation, I simply must apologize since at the end of the day, I read it wrong . However, I do think there is a problem in the vagueness between the difference of when to use a perception roll vs. when to use a Wits/Int + Investigation roll. I think two (to three) arguments could be made regarding the difference.

1. Perception rolls are passive, while investigation rolls are active. So if we wanted to see if the player caught the villian sneaking up on them it would be perception, but if you were trying to find where the villian was hiding it would be investigation. In this example Madmal's roll would actually be an investigation roll.
    2. Perception rolls are anything using the 5 senses, while investigation rolls are anything regarding problem solving/logic. In this example, Ladorak's roll in the post above would actually be a perception roll.
    3. Perception roll is only when there is no logical skill to include. Wits + skill would be used if the the searching task could be modified by a skill. For example, Solomon wants to look for evidence of recent animal activity, he rolls Int +Animal Ken or Wits + Survival. This third interpretation may be correct, but is still the most vague I think.

Now the rules are very vague regarding this (but if anyone wants to find me a quote that clearly deliniates the difference, please do), and based on the fact that the wolf senses apply primarily to perception rolls, I think WtF leans towards the second interpretation.

So, thoughts???
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-10 at 07:20 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's a good question. I don't know if I'm right but I assumed option 1 (Passive vs active) but option 2 also makes sense
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-10 at 07:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So this was my initial interpretation of this rule, and I think that's how it's clearly described in first edition (though don't quote me as I haven't double checked). But in looking at the 2E books, they barely describe what a Perception rule is for. Furthermore, if to gain access to your Wolf Senses in Hishu you have to make an active decision, then you can't really ever get the benefits if Perception is purely a passive roll... right?

This was my initial mistake when interpreting Madmal's roll.]

And I'm not trying to create controversy or put down the rules. I simply think it is worth coming to an agreement on, so that it is clear what everyone should be rolling given the importance senses and investigation/perception play in a werewolf game.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-10 at 07:42 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

@All: Regarding the senses rules and rules regarding Perception and Investigation, I simply must apologize since at the end of the day, I read it wrong . However, I do think there is a problem in the vagueness between the difference of when to use a perception roll vs. when to use a Wits/Int + Investigation roll. I think two (to three) arguments could be made regarding the difference.

1. Perception rolls are passive, while investigation rolls are active. So if we wanted to see if the player caught the villian sneaking up on them it would be perception, but if you were trying to find where the villian was hiding it would be investigation. In this example Madmal's roll would actually be an investigation roll.
    2. Perception rolls are anything using the 5 senses, while investigation rolls are anything regarding problem solving/logic. In this example, Ladorak's roll in the post above would actually be a perception roll.
    3. Perception roll is only when there is no logical skill to include. Wits + skill would be used if the the searching task could be modified by a skill. For example, Solomon wants to look for evidence of recent animal activity, he rolls Int +Animal Ken or Wits + Survival. This third interpretation may be correct, but is still the most vague I think.

Now the rules are very vague regarding this (but if anyone wants to find me a quote that clearly deliniates the difference, please do), and based on the fact that the wolf senses apply primarily to perception rolls, I think WtF leans towards the second interpretation.

So, thoughts???
    I'm in agreement with you that I think the second interpretation is what WtF meant. I googled how to roll perception back when I started in your VtR game and the answers I got from a forum was in line with the second one - passive perception versus actively looking for something.

And no worries on the conundrum. It's good to get these things sorted out and I don't really view it as causing a problem or anything about the rules. Storytellers are only human too, just like players, and the rules can be a bit vague at times.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To offer a counterpoint, perception may be a passive roll, but one can still choose to be particularly vigilant during a certain period of time. If we have chosen to activate the wolf senses, that bonus ought to apply to perception rolls made until the character stops using said senses.

Now, what we shouldn't be able to do is, upon being asked to make a perception roll, spontaneously decide to activate the wolf senses for the bonus.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry guys, I've had a rough couple of days and had to also bow out of a couple of games so i can balance this one and two others with my RL obligations.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Sorry guys, I've had a rough couple of days and had to also bow out of a couple of games so i can balance this one and two others with my RL obligations.
    I hope everything is okay!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

So I learned of something strangely amazing today and while it has no bearing on RP, I felt the need to share it.

Butter in coffee. Yes, you read that right.

A tablespoon and a half of clarified butter and a tablespoon and a half of coconut oil. Toss it into a blender with your freshly brewed, piping hot coffee and blend for 30 seconds. The fat emulsifies to the caffeine and when you drink it, it's thick and rich and tasty - AND the caffeine takes longer to be absorbed into your body, hence prolonging the effect of the coffee and your energy across the day.

Oh, what a world we live in!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Tonberry: As always, please take care of RL first.

@Erulasto: God help us all.

@All: Not that you have to do it, but I havenít described anything in Spirit Senses, because no one has asked. This sense is more active as it takes an action to perform, though I have made it clear the Hisil is very active here. Obviously, if you want to enter the Hisil, you will have to be at the Locus... unless one of you has a special gift.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-12 at 06:16 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This was something I was wondering. We can see through the gauntlet as in oWoD? I couldn't find anything in the rulebook about it.

Assuming we can perception roll:

Wits+Composure

(5d10)[3][10][10][1][1](25)
    10 again:
    (5d10)[8][7][8][2][2](27)

Edit: Just found it on page 94. Casting all my senses
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-12 at 09:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Edit: Itís under the senses rule, probably page 94-95. Essentially, without using a gift or Essence, its an instant action, and your current formís sense is the one sent over; so in Human form, it would be primarily sight only (though if you read, its a little more complicated than that). During this time, you get -2 to perceiving things on your side of the Gauntlet.

And I only count 3 successes. A success is 8 or above in nWoD
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-12 at 11:22 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Itís under the senses rule, probably page 94-95. Essentially, without using a gift or Essence, its an instant action, and your current formís sense is the one sent over; so in Human form, it would be primarily sight only (though if you read, its a little more complicated than that). During this time, you get -2 to perceiving things on your side of the Gauntlet.

And I only count 3 successes. A success is 8 or above in nWoD
    That clarifies things a bunch, thanks.

I think Kara may want to take an attempt at it as well, since she's now just inside with Bear.

EDIT: Does 10 again apply in this case as well? I need to double check the book when I get home today. Hmm. My brain has blanked.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-12 at 11:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Donít mind this roll (1d10)[8](8)

@Erulasto/All: One clarification, you can send only one group of senses; ie wolf or human, but you can send all ď5 sensesĒ tied to human or wolf. Which you send is determined by which form you are in. You donít have to send all 5 senses though. Hope that clarifies.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Donít mind this roll [roll0]

@Erulasto/All: One clarification, you can send only one group of senses; ie wolf or human, but you can send all ď5 sensesĒ tied to human or wolf. Which you send is determined by which form you are in. You donít have to send all 5 senses though. Hope that clarifies.
    So in this case, Kara would be able to send all of her human senses...but not her wolf senses.....since she's in human form, but it'd still mean she could see/hear/smell as well as a human could. Or you can just send smell, or taste. I dunno why you'd want to taste something in the Shadow. That could just end....badly.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quite right, I just picked out the two 8s instead of looking at the first two rolls, my bad, bit of a brainfart. I dont think there's any difference between 3 and 4 successes tho so it doesn't matter.

I think the -2 only applies if you split your senses between two worlds

Edit: What's a Bisugin Lagaha ?
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-12 at 12:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Erulasto: Yes, that is correct. I updated my IC post to include my response.

@Ladorak: That is mostly correct regarding the degrees of success. I just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page regarding rules.

@All: So I have designed a number of potential spirit nemesis and totems. My opinion about spirits is that Spirits are essentially motivated solely by self interest, and therefore, there is no right Totem, and all totems will offer benefits, but also challenges to the group. I rolled to determine which of the spirits would appear at this Locus, so donít think I am trying to force anything on the group.

Also, I have the week off, and am not going anywhere, so I should be able to post a lot more this week. Cheers.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-12 at 12:04 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    Quite right, I just picked out the two 8s instead of looking at the first two rolls, my bad, bit of a brainfart. I dont think there's any difference between 3 and 4 successes tho so it doesn't matter.

I think the -2 only applies if you split your senses between two worlds

Edit: What's a Bisugin Lagaha ?
    Beach Carrion Thieves (Bisugin Lagah) are
    the spirits of gulls, opportunistic hunters who consume smaller spirits along the Shadowed coastline. Because of the proclivity of their physical counterparts to eat anything, these bird spirits can safely consume a wide variety of Essence without becoming magath, meaning they can force other spirits out of their hunting grounds through strength of numbers.

EDIT: This is copied and pasted directly out of the core rule book. That's all I know.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-12 at 12:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

@Benno: That....is an epic post!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Why thank you.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Heh, didn't say I was going Dalu there.

Of course, the first draft of my post did include a transformation sequence to Dalu, but I edited it out in case there was some human squatter in here to see it. So maybe the DM was reading my mind.

Since there apparently weren't any mortal witnesses after all, I'm more than fine with the scene as is.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My apologies. I completely misread your post. I read that you were going into Dalu. If you want to retcon I am okay with it.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Would looking into the ocean could as a reflective surface for the purposes of Reaching?

It's a bit of a stretch, but....thought I'd ask. Hehe