The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: (OOC) New Bedford by Night WtF

Been all afternoon on the phone trying to fix my internet, I'll try to post some aspirations right now.

I Think I'm also missing a trigger, I'll read up on that too.

Edit: Okay, how about these so far?

-Establish a connection to a local
    -Ensure the well-being of the Pack
    -(Long term) Secure enough time for a "vacation" off the human world
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-16 at 11:31 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Madmal: I like the first and the third. The second is rather vague and probably covered by the Pack aspirations. In regards to the third, could we just change it to something like “Go on an extended expedition in the Hisil.” This suggestion is based off of the fact that there isn’t any clear governing rules on when you can “go for a vacation” so to speak. If it’s something you want your character to do, there isn’t anything they have to save up for, just make that the aspiration. Sound good?
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

@TC: That's a hefty chunk of dice.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    @TC: That's a hefty chunk of dice.
    Yeah I wanted to make sure I was good at occult stuff.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #155

I'll review how to explain n°3 better, as for n°2 I was trying to fit something that could work retroactively with the use of my Elodoth gift, but maybe for some other time then.

Also, It seems the Encyclopedic Knowledge merit has been changed multiple times through the editions, since I opened my Core Book file to read it, and it showed me a 2-dot version that only applies to one skill; and I was assuming a 3-dot version from this site that could be applied at any time. Can I get a final say on which one would be valid?

Anyways, rolling ooc to identify the sigils. Int+Occult means 4 dice:

(4d10)[8][7][10][5](30)
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-17 at 09:22 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.

6. - Top - End - #156

2 succeses so far, now the extra die:

(1d10)[3](3)

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Have not yet read through the IC thread closely, but just in response to Madmal’s question about Encyclopedic Knowledge; this is my thought process:

#Is the merit described in the WtF 2E book?
    -No it is not.

#What does it say in the CofD 2E book?
    -It is a two dot merit. The effect is essentially: You don’t have to make rolls to remember past events. When making intelligence rolls to recall minute facts in a swath of information you take a +2 bonus.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-18 at 07:44 AM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quick spirit related questions:

Can Uratha tell what kind of essence a spirit feeds on? Or has fed on recently? Can they identify resonance?

I guess Pequod is feeding on the tourist trade relating to whaling. If not he should be starving.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Both are good questions. Uratha cannot directly tell what Essence a spirit would feed on, but an appropriate Int + Occult roll may yield some information regarding what a specific spirit type generally feeds on.

In regards to Pequod, there is more to it than that, but yes, he is kept alive by the city of New Bedford’s self identity as the whaling city, but he is also starving.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't think we should trust it, at least not to the point of freeing it. For all we know it may have been trapped for good reason
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. - Top - End - #161

I think I can use Strings of the Heart on it? And just outright ask it? Working on finding out it's ban may be a good idea too.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Indeed. It would be very telling if it had cedar wood as it's ban or bane. Just looked up strings of the heart, that's a awesome merit
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-19 at 12:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

If I recall, the Harbour Wolves didn't put in a call for help. They vanished and the nearby packs are the ones who put the call in.

I could be wrong.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

True, but they did contact Knowlton's Protectorate for help I think
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-20 at 05:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Harbor Wolves were discovered missing about three to four months ago. After going radio silent with the surrounding Protecterates it took Knowlton nearly three weeks of arguing with other Pack Leaders before securing the permission to begin running reconnaissance missions into New Bedford (as previously stated, most other Uratha consider New Bedford bad juju).

After running a few missions, confirming the likely destruction of the Harbor Wolves, and the new tide of Beshilu invasion, Knowlton sent out a request for help in re-establishing control of New Bedford/Dartmouth. Given the city’s reputation, it took time before the Uratha in Portland Maine replied and sent you guys, The Anchor Wolves.

@Madmal: You could absolutely use Strings of the Heart on Pequod.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-20 at 08:29 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The Harbor Wolves were discovered missing about three to four months ago. After going radio silent with the surrounding Protecterates it took Knowlton nearly three weeks of arguing with other Pack Leaders before securing the permission to begin running reconnaissance missions into New Bedford (as previously stated, most other Uratha consider New Bedford bad juju).

After running a few missions, confirming the likely destruction of the Harbor Wolves, and the new tide of Beshilu invasion, Knowlton sent out a request for help in re-establishing control of New Bedford/Dartmouth. Given the city’s reputation, it took time before the Uratha in Portland Maine replied and sent you guys, The Anchor Wolves.

@Madmal: You could absolutely use Strings of the Heart on Pequod.
    Was there any hint that anyone other than Knowlton's protectorate sent wolves in to check it all out?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Just so Juno doesn't voice this and make a fool of herself, is there an obvious reason the Harbor Wolves bound Pequod to this place but didn't do the same to King Sky Hunter? I'm slightly hung up on that and am kinda curious.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Just so Juno doesn't voice this and make a fool of herself, is there an obvious reason the Harbor Wolves bound Pequod to this place but didn't do the same to King Sky Hunter? I'm slightly hung up on that and am kinda curious.
    Don't quote me on this, but I got the impression King Sky Hunter was only here because his territory was limited by whatever else is plaguing the city. I think Pequod might've been a target of opportunity and that the big bird spirit wasn't necessarily around here at the time.

Could be wrong.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It might have been Benno misunderstanding but Pequod dodged my question about how many packs have visited since his imprisonment.

We need to make sure he's not Magath. He said he's been feeding on the spirits arising here and that this was his home so it's probably fine, those spirits are probably aligned with his resonance. But if we was hungry enough to start feeding on anything he may be polluted by now. Releasing a bound Magath in Forsaken is very similar to freeing a bound Bane in Apocalypse. It's not going to win us any friends, other Forsaken may even kill us if they find out.

Why is he being polite and answering all questions without asking for anything? That's super suspicious.

It sounds like the magical effect keeping the Beshilu away is a byproduct, that the intended purpose was binding Pequod to the warehouse to keep arising Spirits in line. Combine that with the Locus and it sounds like the warehouse has some historic significance, we should check the whaling museum.

That said I'm picking up hints Pequod is not a fan of the Beshilu.

If he's only been imprisoned for a year he can probably tell us a lot about local spirit politics

If these wards keep the Beshilu and Plague Spirits away and the Harbour Fangs were capable of making them then what happened to them? I get that the Beshilu could tunnel under the ward boundary and then blow it up but wouldn't you have wards like this literally all over the city?

Edit: I think that's right. KSH was here to feed because the Beshilu have messed up hunting elsewhere
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-22 at 08:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you all for your patience in my response.

@Erulasto: The pack is unaware of any other Uratha other than Knowlton’s visiting New Bedford recently.

@Tonberry: No stupid questions. Pequod naturally resides within this building, which fortunately became a warehouse. Therefore, it was natural or easy to bind the ship-spirit here. That said, Erulasto is also correct in that King Sky Hunter has no natural tie to this area, and happened to be on the grounds to hunt other spirits near the locus.

@I did not mistake your question. Perhaps Pequod, or perhaps I am being intentionally evasive . I mean, I don’t want to give too much away yet. But suffice to say, you/your character/the pack has every right to be suspicious.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Ok, let's try these aspirations, going for a little more short-term:
    -Help the pack succesfully make a deal with a spirit (I don't think this would work retroactively?)
    -(Long term) get to know the immediate area surrounding the warehouse

Also, should we approach this as a Social Maneuvering action? To start, I could declare the goal to be "Have Pequod be straight with us about his wants" or something.

While we decide on that, I think Iago will be using Scent beneath the surface to try to clear this:
    Wits(3)+Empathy(3)+Honor(2)+locus(1)

(9d10)[6][8][6][10][8][6][9][5][1](59)
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-22 at 11:20 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

4 succeses so far, extra die:

(1d10)[8](8)

And that's 5. An Exceptional Success. I'm going to type my IC post assuming he is hiding something, then correct depending on Bennosuke's feedback.

Some notes:
    -I can't recall if Pine is fully In-the-know. Iago is pretty much exaggerating to the point of absurdity anyways.
    -"Knocking on the closed door" Is a bit of a weird expression I need to work on. But it relates to Iago's former pack.
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-22 at 11:53 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Nice, that's our first exceptional success I think. Good time for it. Pine is in the know I believe.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Heading back fhroifh the gauntlet: (5d10)[9][2][3][8][4](26)
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Madmal: Regarding your aspirations. The first is very good, though ya, I’d rather not do it retroactively. The second is a bit vague. May I suggest something more specific, such as “Discover a secret about or within the area surrounding the warehouse”, or “Develop a friendship with the neighbors living near the warehouse”? Even if it is to be long term, it is easier for me to add it in if I know specifically what you are thinking.

You also get a third aspiration.

In regards to your question regarding the use of the “social maneuvers rule”, I tend to steer away from it as it clunks things up, though I think it has its utility.

In regards to the above roll, unfortunately the characters in the warehouse are outside of the Locus’ zone of influence, and after taking into account the spirit’s resistance, Iago gets 4 successes. For simplicity sake, I am also going to assume Santiago has been around through the conversation a little bit longer, as a requirement for the Gift is that the character has been engaged in conversation with the spirit or has observed a significant amount of conversation (one turn’s worth ).
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-23 at 06:57 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Aspirations: I was building above what you had previously stated on my first attempt to do the aspirations, So I was assuming one was already done, while the other two needed rework.

And my Strings of the Heart Sympathetic merit seems to be dependent on the Social maneuvers rule so far...

IC: Okaaay...spirit being kind of a drama queen? I mean, I find obvious each spirit will try to manipulate a pack of uratha to help pursue it's goals. Seems to me Pequod just decided to avoid the question by metaphorically slamming the door.

And I seem to be doing too much showing and not enough telling. I had assumed Iago had followed up on the rest of the pack (because why split the party in these circumstances?), hear them talk to Pequod, retire back to the entrance (where Pike adressed them), and then Iago going back inside to confront it. I'm stating this to clarify the order in which I assume things have been happening.
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-23 at 08:30 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In regards to the Aspirations. Would you show me the three working Aspirations that you have going then? Just to save me the leg work?

If you can’t get to it, I will try to scour something together in the AM.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-23 at 08:11 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

Sure, this is it so far, taking into account your last suggestions:

-Establish a connection to a local
    -Help the pack succesfully make a deal with a spirit
    -(Long term) Discover a secret about or within the area surrounding the warehouse

Your first suggestion seemed close to the aspiration I already had noted, so I'm putting your second suggestion.
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-23 at 08:22 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Those look perfect!

Please add it to your OOC character sheet post, and I will add it to my notes.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you with the patience in my response. So is no one going to contact the rest of the Wolf blooded to tell them its safe to come? I am assuming this has to happen that night. After loose ends are tied up, I will be moving things on to the next scene (and give out some beats). Again, thank you for the patience.

@Tonberry: I would say a Wits + Investigation roll than. It isn’t perfect, but that would do. Give Juno a plus 3 to the roll.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-28 at 07:21 AM.
    Show