The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (OOC) New Bedford by Night WtF

@Daishain: Please roll Wits + Survival + Primal Urge +2
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I assume my survival specialty of hunting won't apply, so...

Wits+survival+PM+2 (6d10)[7][3][10][10][7][4](41)

ten again (6d10)[9][6][1][4][8][8](36)

three successes, nice.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-06-01 at 06:42 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    @TC: That is fine. I will amend my last IC post. Sorry, I was simply trying to keep things moving.

@Ladorak: 1. Sure, but at a -3 penalty (it is rather... esoteric ) 2. Yes. As I said during recruitment, this game was going to be heavily influenced by Lovecraft, as I thought millennia old inter dimensional horrors fit very well. And in real life, New Bedford is in many ways like Innsmouth, and I would not be surprised if HP was inspired by a port town like New Bedford if not the very town, and the locals are almost certainly a poorly veiled reference to the Cape Verdians who populate many such towns. Iím glad you got the reference. 3. Perhaps he existed, but this was intended to be a bit of an Easter egg, so I donít think Solomon would be like; ďlook at that so meta reference to HP Lovecraft guysĒ.
    1 just two dice then (2d10)[1][10](11)
    2 I was looking for a Forsaken game anyway but if not you would have had me at lovecraft. There's a lot of dross as well but some real spine chillers in his catalogue. Innsmouth is the only thing I ever read that gave me a nightmare. I was looking forward to seeing what influences came up and was hoping for/dreading this one
    3 that's cool. I can see why most dms just write him out of existence in games with his themes. It's the simplest solution to a lot of potentially derailing problems. But I like the headcanon that he existed and was just some guy, not a mage or anything, who just happened to come up with all this really secret stuff. Secret societies all around the world have been pulling their hair out for decades trying to find out how he knew so much. Sorta like he's the real Mad Arab.

Edit: 1 success on my academics check. I get a 10 reroll too but it doesn't make a difference and I don't want to double post
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-06-02 at 05:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Daishain: See the pending IC post for your results. Nice roll

@Ladorak: Well Iím glad this works for you! Plenty more to come. As far as Solomon knows, The Church of Daigon was an old alternative Christian Church (like Pentecostalism or Jehovaís Witness), that came up in Massachusetts but has been practically dead for at least the last 50 years.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Innsmouth was fantastic but the one that shook me up the most? The Rats in the Walls. That one creeped me the hell out when I was a kid!
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Enter the Beshilu

donít mind me (1d10)[1](1)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Enter the Beshilu

donít mind me [roll0]
    I think Mary is some creature or something...maybe a host...I keep imagining her pulling off her face like a mask.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As always, thank you for the patience with me and my delayed post. We should be moving things along soon.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rolling to avoid soft rage (5d10)[10][3][7][1][3](24)
    ten again (5d10)[5][4][6][6][8](29)

Just one success, that enough?

Actually, come to think of it, doesn't matter. My next action is the same either way.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-06-05 at 09:53 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Impossibly, that wasnít enough dice:
    10 successes plus the first die here, 9 again:

(8d10)[1][6][1][2][6][2][7][5](30)[/spoiler]
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry for the lack of posting this weekend, I'm having a particularly stressful assignment that has mostly been taken care of for now.

Meanwhile, I'm taking that Int+Occult roll: (4 dice)

(4d10)[3][6][3][2](14)

And extras:
    (4d10)[6][5][7][10](28)

I also wonder if there's a chance of her detecting me using the Know Thy prey gift

Edit: Nope, nada here. Iago's lack of "Pedigree" is showing.
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-06-05 at 11:24 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

It would help if I actually used the dice script in my IC post.

Ugh.

Intelligence 2 + Occult 1

(3d10)[4][3][2](9)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Daishain: One success is enough. I am assuming Bear is using a point of Essence to still have an instant action and attack! As per pg 96 of the WtF core book, at Harmony 7, shifting takes an instant action (takes up the chance to attack during a turn), but one Essence can be used to shift as a Reflexive action.

Also, I'm intentionally leaving my description of Bear's attack vague, so that you can fill it in with flavor, should you so desire.

@All others: I will PM you if you had success. I will also hold off on posting IC so that players can respond to Erulasto's last post.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-06-06 at 01:53 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh right, when I looked up how this all fit together I was looking at it from the standpoint of a midrange Harmony. Yes, I'll have to spend another essence to do that then. I have to shift reflexively to make use of that knockdown ability anyways.

and damn, so much for the probability of lunacy taking care of his potential testimony.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-06-06 at 03:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Ladorak: When you have 0 dice, it becomes a chance dice. 1d10, and unless I've truly forgotten, you need a 10 for a success. A roll of 1 becomes a dramatic failure. Players can also turn any roll into a dramatic failure to gain a beat in exchange.

Spoiler: Note to self
    Show
    Why are you reading this??? Bear's attack results in 5 X boxes and one /
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-06-06 at 03:28 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Idk, it feels kinda cheap to take a beat on not noticing something

(1d10)[5]

Spoiler
    Show
    Harmony: 7
    Willpower: 4/4
    Essence: 10/10
    Health: 7/7
    Beats/EXP: 1/1
    Tilts/Conditions: none
    Aspirations: Short Investigate the Beshilu migration
    Short: Take a step toward harmony
    Long: Achieve something of lasting good in the Hisil

When doing my stat block I realised I needed to come up with two new aspirations, not one (I completed one, you rejected one). How's this 'Take a step toward harmony'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-06-06 at 04:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Could you clarify that? Do you mean like balance harmony (closer to 5), or towards spirit or towards flesh?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

He probably meant balanced, since that's the ideal for Uratha. So in his case at the moment, that'd be a step towards spirit.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Could you clarify that? Do you mean like balance harmony (closer to 5), or towards spirit or towards flesh?
    Closer to 5, in this instance toward spirit
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I canít retype / paraphrase this on my phone, so Blaze will tell the rest of the pack when they get a chance alone:

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke
    Wow, 10 freaking successes.

During the tour, the group passes into the Azorean Whaleman's Gallery. The majority of the group seems particularly uninterested in this room, filled with trinkets and pictures of various famous fishers, whalers, and sailors. However, a particular article of jewelry catches Blaze's eye; a golden weaved diadem. The crown is studded with various gems, but what catches Blaze's eye is the odd shapes that the golden metal has been molded to. The weave of gold forms symbols and shapes very reminiscent of various written forms of The First Tongue (The first language used in Pangea, and which the Uratha use to communicate with spirits). Somehow, Blaze is able to recognize the meaning, "Old One" or "Deep One", and a recurrent symbol which Blaze can't quiet trace.

The crown belonged to the wife of one Robert Olmstead. According to the informative text next to his picture, Olmstead was a famous whaler and leader in the New Bedford community. He had gained his fortune by hiring many natives and Cape Verdean slaves aboard his ships, and was known as one of the most successful and productive whalers during his era. He was interestingly hung, then burned at the stake by the locals of South Dartmouth.

I am PMing you this information for Blaze to use anyway you want. If you want to engage the pack in a scene, feel free to Quote this text in an IC post. Otherwise, there are plenty of other ways you could use this information. Given the degree of Blaze's success, he will get a +3 to all research or investigation into this matter.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Daishain: Just a thought; there are long claw marks along the thug's ?chest? (sorry, we never specified). Letting the kid live means he will go telling people about how Bear grew claws and shredded him, and he'll have proof despite the concussion. The other thugs will have seen him get into a fight with Bear, and so it's unlikely people will think he got into a fight with a large clawed animal. Not saying you have to kill him, but I would assume this would be a dilemma that Bear will have to struggle with.

To put it in a mechanical context, killing a human will be a breaking point towards Spirit with no modifier, but I would consider letting him live a Violation of the Oath of the Moon (pg 70, the Herd must not know) which is a breaking point towards flesh with a -2 modifier.

@Ladorak: I'm a little torn on this Aspiration. It technically fits the criteria in that it lets me know something you want for Solomon, but it is not very inspiring in terms of driving the story forward or in a direction you want. Also, since Harmony 5 is mechanically advantageous, you would be gaining XP for changes that would benefit the character anyways. Perhaps you could choose a specific Breaking Point towards Spirit, that you want Solomon to experience??? This would help direct me towards a story driven scene that would help develop Solomon's character, and indirectly get you where you want?
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-06-07 at 07:36 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

How are talens created? Mechanically.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

See page 146-7. Essentially, you can use the Fetish Rite (pg 141) and deal no damage to the spirit you are binding, or you can do it without the Rite but deal damage to the spirit equal to the strength of the Talen you are trying to create.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

See page 146-7. Essentially, you can use the Fetish Rite (pg 141) and deal no damage to the spirit you are binding, or you can do it without the Rite but deal damage to the spirit equal to the strength of the Talen you are trying to create.
    Well... crap, should have taken the fetish rite.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Looking through the breaking points I don't think any would be suitable after all. I'll think about it and get back to you
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forced to eat flesh or spirit for Essence I think could be a good one.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Actually, I had a thought about that, this surely wouldn't be the first time the pack's had to explain claw marks like this. Would it be out of the question for Bear to produce a clawed knuckle duster in response to such questions? Something that would match the pattern, if not the utility, of his own claws.

I realize this would be a bit of a retcon, asking for gear after the event it is for has started. But just a thought.

In any case, Bear would be assessing the thug's condition. Wits+medicine? (3d10)[10][7][2](19)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

ten again (1d10)[1](1)

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm going to say no to the knuckle duster. I think the scene is more interesting if Karl made a relatively rash decision and now has to make a hard choice. I mean, it's pretty much a beat either way this way, right? And that's to reward the dramatic nature of the encounter.

Bear can tell that the kid is not dying but will probably need hospitalization after the fight.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-06-07 at 02:02 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

According to signs of the moon Packs usually get the Irraka to deal with this sort of situation. Get his ID and I'd be happy to have Solomon pay him a visit...

Edit: or just find out what hospital he's going to
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-06-07 at 02:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn