New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

Vershab nods before opening his spellbook. Then, he pauses, frozen in thought. "There won't be enough time..." he mutters as he reviews his notes. Then, turning to his allies he says, "Well, even if I were to use the magic I know, it wouldn't last nearly long enough for a thorough review of the stacks. With other spells I might be able to make something work, but I will need to either research their magic or study with someone who has mastered them. Do we wish to try to research today in any case? My climbing skills are woefully limited and I loath the idea of falling from such heights..."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Turi peers inquisitively at the ladders. "They don't look so bad to me..." he wonders aloud. With a little more care than he normally would, he mounts the nearest ladder, and finds he has no real trouble maintaining his balance. It takes concentration and patience, but fortunately (for now), nothing immediately distracting develops in the stacks.

Spoiler: Climbing
    Show
    I didn't even think about it before, but we should be able to take 10, right? If not, I can write a blurb about feeling uneasy and removing his armor to balance better. That's also not accounting for assists which seem reasonable, given the nature of the check.

From midway up one of the ladders, he looks over his shoulder to the scholar and the rest of his companions on the floor. "Azkin, if you can hold the ladder steady for me? Vershab, what do you need me to grab?"

Spoiler: Research
    Show
    Once more, the same mods will apply, and Turi will "aid" Vershab in the research: (1d20)[6] (+0 for history, +4 for nobility, +5 for local). Other mods will apply if those particular skills don't.

3. - Top - End - #33

Spoiler
    Show
    You can totally take 10. This comes to show that research is less dangerous as a team! I'm not asking you to roll for more knowledge, because your initial results were more than enough to get you this far.

Deftly but cautiously, Turi ascends the ladders. They are well constructed, but the height is impressive, leading to some unsettling oscillations when at the top. Turi, however, remains steady as he grabs books as indicated by Vershab, 60 feet in the air. Multiple ascensions later, a stack of books and scrolls piled between Vershab and Calathon provides ample material for the two scholars to peruse.

Calathon finds a papyrus scroll dating from Osirion’s Second Age, over 6000 years ago, referencing a "lost" pharaoh named Hakotep. The scroll ascribes the epithet of "Sky Pharaoh" to the forgotten ruler, and recounts his ability to "ride the stars by night." The scroll even contains a crude illustration of the Sky Pharaoh, a figure standing upon a dais surrounded by glass and crystal. Looking closer, he notes that the dais and crystals are floating, seemingly part of a vast temple that somehow sits in the night sky.

On a hunch, Vershab looks at a leftover stack of papyrus documents, to find an obscure index, compiled by a previous curator of the library. It lists the scroll referencing Hakotep as one of many that were copied from the personal library of the Sky Pharaoh. The index reveals this collection of scrolls is held in a part of the Great Library's Inner Sanctum called the Spiral Archive, described as a chamber resembling a vertical scroll tube crossed by a latticework of papyrus bridges.

While Turi gets busy replacing all the books in their elevated places, Vershab goes to ask the curator again.

"Indeed, your research is leading you to even more rare and restricted areas of the Library. I have to advise that you seek permission from the haty-a herself. The Inner Sanctum - he points to the enormous bronze door - contains such secrets that it comes under her personal purview to allow access."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

At the revelation of yet another place of research, Turi shrugs. "Kinda figured." He goes about the business of replacing their references with the same caution that has kept him safe on the ladders thus far, and though it takes some time, he alights on the floor before too long, a light sheen of dampness beginning to form on his brow.

He wipes away the sweat with the back of his hand, sauntering up to Vershab just as the scholar receives the curator's response. He frowns in unfeigned concern, taking in the sight of the huge bronze door with a heavy dose of caution for what must be very important- or dangerous- information stored beyond.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti's brows furrow in disapproval of the curator's admission of the missing information, but the vehemence of Vershab's outburst seems to take her wholly by surprise. Momentarily at a loss for words, the paladin notes Turi's proffering of the expected donation with approval. "Nonsense, Turi," she says, "while your generosity is to your credit, this is a shared effort and you will not bear the burden alone." Fishing out a handful of her own coins, she passes a few to the older of the brothers.

The paladin's wonderment at the architectural wonders of the Great Chamber is short-lived; the condition of the ladders inspires a skeptically appraising glare from the paladin. At Turi's request, Azkin moves to steady one of the ladders. With a curt gesture,Lehasti beckons her protege to man one side of the ladder while she herself secures the other with her confident grip. Her expression as she gauges Turi's methodical scaling of each ladder is tinted with a hint of relief, whether concerning the boy's ability to scale the ladders in her (or Vershab's) place or the fact that she is able to assist in the effort without being directly involved with the musty tomes herself.

"Well, " says Lehasti, "our errand is of the utmost import; I don't doubt that we will have the permission we so require. Shall we?" The paladin gestures out toward the main entrance. "I see no reason to tarry."
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2018-07-21 at 10:12 AM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

6. - Top - End - #36

NecromancerGuy

Vershab controls himself, if barely, at the news. "Yes...we must get access. Please lead us to someone who can provide us access. If we must speak with the haty-a personally, lead the way!" he says, his voice nearly choking with emotion as he rubs his hands and picks at his robes in agitation.

7. - Top - End - #37

Toilday, 21 Abadius

Having enjoyed an excellent dinner and spent a comfortable night in the decidedly pleasant Inn of the Desert Winds, the group reconvenes at breakfast. As if by magic, Sabef reappears in their midst, ready to share his knowledge of the local government (and the delicious coffee and date bread, too).

"The haty-a of Tephu's name is Deka An-Keret. She oversees the city and the region in the name of the pharaoh, Khemet III, blessed be his divine name. The seat of government is the Sanctuary of Nethys, across the Plaza of the Bright Horizon on the opposite side from the Great Library. The haty-a is also the High Priestess of Nethys... I'm afraid getting an audience with her is not going to be easy."

Undeterred, the companions make for the Sanctuary. They are met by a veiled priestess who introduces herself as Deaconess Sekek. Indeed, Sabef seems to have been correct in his assessment.

"I welcome you as guests to our Sanctuary. I understand you wish to talk to the haty-a and I do not wish to sound dismissive of your needs. However, the haty-a is kept very busy with both civic and religious duties, as I'm sure you will understand. She has no time for audiences with casual visitors, unfortunately."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-09-11 at 04:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Azkin eyes the deaconess appraisingly, and then prayerfully places the palm of his hand on the shoulder of his mistress. Lehasti turns her head at the touch, and greets the young cleric's serious face with a warm and comforting smile.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Azkin activates Touch of Glory, granting Lehasti a +5 on the next Charisma-based check.

The paladin turns to meet the calm but watchful gaze of the priestess with a disarmingly warm smile of her own. "Allow me to introduce myself, honored priestess- my name is Lehasti Gesmeha, and it is my sacred duty and great honor to represent the Relic Knights, who now stand before you." The paladin steps to the side, gesturing with a wave to the remainder of the party. "I can only imagine that news of the recent... unpleasantness in Wati has reached the ears of your order?" The paladin pauses for a moment, watching for an expression of understanding on the priestess's face.

"While I cannot elaborate at this time, allow me to assure you that our business with Her Excellency is no casual visit or social call. We have the good fortune to become acquainted with your fine city only in pursuit of important business charged to us by the Pharasmin leadership of Wati- and in an effort to prevent similar disturbances beyond its borders." The paladin's warm and welcoming tone fades into one of quiet urgency. "Trust me when I say that the haty-a wants to speak to us, whether or not she yet knows it."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy check to influence attitude and/or make a request: (1d20+20)[32]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The previous night: Turi shrugs, content to accept whatever Lehasti considers as her fair share.

After they've discovered yet another setback: As gently as he can, Turi tries to redirect Vershab's urgency. "Obviously we need to hurry, but we've already made a lot of progress! Look at how much we've discovered already! Besides, I need some sleep," he points at Vershab, "and judging from your eyes and slouch, you do too. Let's head back to the inn for the night and start again first thing tomorrow."

Sabef's warning falls on Turi's deaf ears as the young erstwhile urchin stuffs his face with date bread eagerly. Still unaccustomed to having as much food as he wants, he eats quickly, until more than a little over-full, and finds the journey to the Sanctuary somewhat unpleasant. Uncomfortable and feeling decidedly bloated, the youngster forces quite a few ineffective and quiet burps in an effort to relieve the pressure. His expression at the deaconess is not impolite, but neither is it pleasant. When she seems to summarily deny their audience, it melts into an offended frown.

He's inhaling to give her a piece of his mind when Lehasti steps forward. Remembering his place (and an adage about sugar and ants), he remasters his face and forces a polite and patient (if not precisely happy) expression over his features while the servant of Sarenrae describes their errand.

10. - Top - End - #40

Sekek opens wide eyes, as she recollect the dire news from Wati a few months ago. "Oh. I understand... I shall talk to the haty-a, of course, of course. I apologize for assuming this was just a minor thing, clearly that is not the case. Would you mind telling me what you wish to request of her? If you can let me know that, and come back tomorrow, I shall have an answer for you."

11. - Top - End - #41

NecromancerGuy

Vershab seems to be about to explode in a paroxysm of agitation, but Turi's gentle intervention seems to be enough to keep it contained. The clearly agitated scholar allows the young man to lead him out of the library and to the inn where he eats his meal in a state of something like shock. Going to bed immediately afterwards, he wakes the next morning utterly fixated on getting to the haty-a and receiving permission to review the most controlled of the library's collection.

From the back of the group he watches the exchange until Sekek asks her question, when he pipes up and says, "We require access to the Inner Sanctum in the Great Library. We are researching historic documents that may lead us to an answer vital to the future of our home, if not the entire country. Can you please help us?" His words are clipped and nearly monotone, but polite as he stares into the middle distance from underneath his hooded robe.

12. - Top - End - #42

"I see... That section of the library, indeed, requires the haty-a's specific permission for access. What particular topics are the aim of your research?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

For a moment, Turi just blinks. He looks to Vershab, as he quickly comes to realize that he doesn't really know what it is that they're looking for. I need to pay more attention when we're planning this stuff.... he considers, while desperately hoping for a good answer from his colleagues.

14. - Top - End - #44

NecromancerGuy

Vershab looks at the Deaconess with an expressionless face. After several moments he asks, "Deaconess Sekek, can you be discrete with this information? The enemies of Osirion would be glad to stop our research if they could, and even knowledge of our investigation could put you at great risk..." His warning is not meant to be threatening, but the emotionless way he says it does not reassure anyone listening.

(Upon the expected response of "yes"...)

"We are looking for records of a Pharaoh whose memory has been lost to the sands of time, someone called the 'Sky Pharaoh' with great power," Vershab says in a whisper that can only barely be heard above the ambient noise around the party.

15. - Top - End - #45

Impressed more by Lehasti's speech than Vershab's demeanor, Sesek answers:

"Yes, of course I understand this shouldn't become the talk of the town. I'll speak to the haty-a in confidence. The news of the situation in Wati was rather disturbing. Thank you. Please come back tomorrow, and I shall give you the haty-a's answer."

The discussion ended, the Deaconess politely sees her visitors out, before she goes to her other duties. As they leave, they are joined by Sabef, quietly waiting for them outside the Sanctuary.

Spoiler
    Show
    The group has most of the day left to do anything they want. Tourism?
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2023-11-04 at 11:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti leads the group in their exit from the sanctuary grounds, and greets their young guide with a pleasant smile. "Alas, my friend, it is as you said; our audience with the haty-a will have to wait for the morrow." The paladin turns a furtive, sidelong gaze toward Vershab, and after an appraising pause, she continues, "As we have exhausted the resources available to us at the Great Library, it seems that we have much of the day to pass. What wonders (and pleasures) of the city seem to you most to our liking?"

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

Vershab stops to consider how else to spend the day. To his companions it is clear that he is doing his best to behave in spite of the delay's frustrations, but he seems particularly fixated on the task before them. "Research and study are usually somewhat relaxing and satisfying, but I think if I go to the Library and am prevented from our task it will be worse than staying away," he says, haltingly. "It has been several years since I have visited, and I am not sure if any of the teachers of the arcane arts I knew are still in town...Sabef, do you know of any noteworthy mystics or practitioners in the city? Perhaps ones known for their interest in trading spells, sharing research into artifacts of power, or discussing thaumaturgical theory?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Turi spends several moments looking back and forth between Vershab and Lehasti. He seems stressed, but the scholar's unexpected willingness to not even go back to the library evokes a posture of relief. Having since decided that Sabef is not conspiring to poison them, but rather more interested in bleeding the Relic Knights of their wealth (and both foolish and wealthy enough to not much care), The youngster turns to their guide, eyebrows raised as he awaits the answer to Lehasti's query.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Out of curiosity, are Turi and Sabef fairly close in age?

19. - Top - End - #49

"But most certainly, honored guest!" Vershab remembers that Tephu is known less for its arcane arts prowess than for knowledge of a more universal nature, but this doesn't deter Sabef in the least. "Where shall we begin? The Academy of Scribes, possibly? You must have heard the saying: Nothing ever happens in Tephu without someone writing it down. As such, it befits us to boast the largest such academy in Osirion! Of course, being trained in Tephu is a great honor and badge of respect. "

"You may also wish to visit the Houses of Order and Wisdom - the temples to the old gods. They have a lot of records there too... I am told, however, that they are not nearly as thorough as the Great Library's.

... Or possibly, visit the Eye of the Heavens? It is one of Tephu's oldest buildings, just beyond the wall of the Old City. Here, astronomers plot the movement of celestial bodies and record their measurements. They keep an archive, it is said, that dates back to before the founding of Tephu itself! Those interested in the stars always pay a visit. Pay is the right word, I have to say, for the right to peruse the records kept there doesn't come cheap..."

The rapid-fire speech of the enthusiastic guide picks up more speed still, as he gets enthralled in his favorite subject - his home city! "Naturally, I would be remiss if I failed to show you the Gate of the Moon, and its beautiful bridge, one blessed by Thoth himself! The place attracts the more learned sages, who gather there to exchange ideas and discuss philosophy. It is entirely possible that some of them would be versed in magical mysteries."

Sabef thinks the matter over, and comes up with yet another proposal... "You will most certainly need to record findings, discoveries, and all the wisdom you undoubtedly will gather on the way! For this, nothing beats Tephu papyrus. I happen to know personally some of the finest makers and traders of this precious material! I beg you, do not let that opportunity pass. Just an hour or two in the Medina, and you have my word, you will be all set!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sabef is barely older than Turi, 2 more years of age at most.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

For all his apparent eagerness, Turi once again quickly discovers just exactly how far he is out of his league. The Academy of Scribes seems curious, but not inspiring. Gods old and new hold little interest to Turi, though his eyes glance towards Azkin and Lehasti- willing to humor either or both of the pair.

Before he realizes he's speaking his thoughts, the words "celestial bodies?" escape. There can be no doubt he's unsure about the meaning, but as Sabef elaborates, he consequently elucidates. Turi's confusion blends to realization a few moments after Sabef mentions the stars.

Overwhelmed by the sheer volume of knowledgable pursuits, Turi finds himself glancing once more towards the group's resident academician. He shrugs, eyebrows raised in a nearly totally blank expression.

Show
    While I recognize the possible significance in several of these places, Turi has somewhere between negative and negligible interest in all of them. He's mostly tagging along to make sure his little brother doesn't get into too much trouble- at least, not without Turi to get him out of it!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

Calathon takes another long swig from his waterskin in the desert sun as they speak with Sabef about the possibilities on how to spend their day. The scarred elf's ears perk at the mention of the observatory. "If I have any say in the matter, I would enjoy visiting the Eye of the Heavens. It may not pertain to our current goals, but it seems so strange to think that we are such small things in the grand scheme of the natural order - including that which lay beyond our earthen home." He pats the rough sandstone wall of the building next to him. "Aside from that, I admit a certain level of curiosity about the records at the old temples as well. Since it sounds like a smaller location as compared to the Great Library, I wonder if they might know of anyone else that may have been conducting similar research? Surely, we cannot be the only ones, considering the troubles we ran into in Wati. Plus, if there's time, I would like to rummage around in the local apothecaries and alchemy purveyors to see what can be found." His voice fades as he concludes the last sentence, ashamed to mention his own selfish pursuits.

Show

It doesn't have to be roleplayed out, but the last piece is mostly me wanting to take a moment to resupply Cal's alchemy ingredients for his various abilities.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

Vershab listens attentively and nods at Calathon's words. "I think it would be prudent to see if anyone else has researched the Sky Pharaoh - they might be opponents and I would rather not be surprised or ambushed again. Either the Academy of the Scribes or the other temple libraries could help us be forewarned. I could also see if any of them hold clues we need - Calathon is right, other libraries might hold different knowledge."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    As a player I find the cosmology of Golarion interesting, but not enough so as to use PC-time researching it. Vershab is singularly focused on the party's goal of discovering more about the Sky Pharaoh.

23. - Top - End - #53

The Relic Knights, with the ever-helpful Sabef always at hand, spend four enjoyable days in Tephu. The Eye of the Heavens matches Sabef's awe-inspiring description: A huge marble and sandstone building, it is capped with a massive dome capable of being opened to the night sky. The observatory is built around an incredible device of brass, copper, and sandstone: The Oracle of the Heavens. The Oracle is used to predict the passing of comets, eclipses, the precise time of sunrise and sunset throughout the year, and other celestial events. Calathon inquires about the famed records, and receives a confirmation that they are indeed available for consultation, for a fee that can reach as high as two thousand pharaohs for those older than three millennia.

Talking to scribes from the Academy is also an interesting activity for the group's scholars. It serves as a starting school for both wizards and priests, before they move on to more advanced training in different places depending on their calling. Sabef whispers a funny rumor about Grand Scholar Fatimid, the Academy's head. It seems the kindly old man has recently been suffering from bouts of prolonged forgetfulness, and has been picked up by the watch in various locations about town, partially dressed or spouting mad ravings. The day-to-day running of the academy has fallen to a younger, energetic woman, Scholar Idriss.

A visit to the Houses of Order and Wisdom reveals another large building, which contains two temples - one dedicated to Maat and the other to Thoth. The Houses of Order and Wisdom were built shortly after the founding of Tephu and served as the center for civil administration until Qadira's satraps came to rule Osirion. As worship turned to the modern gods, the Sanctuary of Nethys now overshadows the Houses of Order and Wisdom. The priests of Thoth remain faithful to their religion's ancient role, and so they keep vast records in chambers within and below the House of Wisdom. Talking to them quickly shows that they gaze at the Great Library with envy, feeling that they should have the exclusive right to catalog the wealth of knowledge held within. An accord settled long ago restricts the priests' entry to the Great Library, however - no more than three of them can peruse the library at any given time. High Priest Netukheret takes every opportunity to assign her clergy to study within the Great Library, where they copy and memorize the more valuable information they encounter in order to add to their own sizable collection.

In neither place has anyone heard mention of the Sky Pharaoh or research made about him.

During their days visiting the city, the group finds a lot of opportunities for shopping, fulfilling any need for completing mundane, alchemical or arcane supplies. They also get to learn about Tephu's most famous product, papyrus, including some interesting specialties.

Spoiler: Tephu papyrus
    Show
    In most markets in Tephu, standard grade papyrus costs 4 sp per sheet, but more robust papyrus and sheets with special qualities are also available in the city’s markets and shops.

Impossible Papyrus: Touted by its creator as being so strong that it’s impossible to tear, this papyrus is popular with adventurers, builders, engineers, and others who take books, journals, and maps into difficult places. Impossible papyrus has hardness 1, and tearing it requires a successful DC 24 break check. Impossible papyrus costs 3 gp per sheet.

Set’s Papyrus: Dark papyrus is mixed with a dye made using a secret recipe that gives the papyrus a vague luminescence when pressure is applied via a stylus, rendering whatever is written on it visible even in complete darkness. The writing faintly glows red for 1 hour before fading to normal writing. Set’s papyrus costs 5 gp per sheet.

Sphinx Papyrus: Some merchants claim the process for making this unusual papyrus came from a sphinx, while others say this form of papyrus merely borrows the great river’s name. Sphinx papyrus is thin and light, but surprisingly robust. A full-sized sheet of sphinx papyrus can be folded down to the size and thickness of a copper piece, allowing the message or magic scroll to be hidden within a tiny space. Sphinx papyrus costs 10 gp per sheet.

Tephu Spellbooks: Tephu spellbooks are among some of the finest in the Inner Sea, and are in great demand across Golarion. No two are the exactly the same, and they are often created with a particular type of user in mind. Many of these are lengthy and ornate scrolls, as opposed to bound books. Tephu spellbooks cost 50% more than normal spellbooks, but it’s said that such books can take any amount of abuse and damage. Tephu spellbooks have hardness 2 and 20 hit points.

Every morning, the group visits the Sanctury of Nethys, only to learn that the haty-a isn't available that day. Deaconess Sekek assures the increasingly agitated Vershab that she is doing everything she can to free up the city governor's busy schedule for them, but it has proven impossible yet again.

On the fourth day, while walking between two shops in the bustling commercial maze of Tephu's Medina, the ever-watchful - or paranoid? - Turi gets a feeling that the group is being observed. However, as he scans the crowd, he can't pinpoint to anyone showing particular interest in them.

Starday, 25 Abadius

Once more, the Relic Knights show up, first thing in the morning, to repeat their request to the Deaconess at the Sanctuary of Nethys. This time, their hopes aren't dashed. Sekek informs them that an appointment has been fortunately canceled, and therefore, the haty-a Deka An-KeretA shall see them in the afternoon, in the second hour.

Spoiler: Bureaucracy
    Show
    The unpredictable delay in getting to see an official isn't anything particularly shocking in Osirion's culture. The people are used to such higher-ups having near-absolute power over city life, and the haty-a is accountable to no one except the pharaoh for what she does with her time.

Spoiler: Sabef
    Show
    I'm not detailing that, but during the group's stay, I'm assuming that Sabef gets paid one way or the other - at the very least by buying him meals. He doesn't explicitly asks for it, but subtle clues confirm that for him, this is about him earning a living. We don't need to go into precise accounting for that, I'm chalking it up to the group's general costs for their confortable, if not lavish stay in the city.

Spoiler: What next?
    Show
    Before we move on to the actual meeting, is there anything folks would like to do with 3 days' downtime in Tephu?
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2023-11-04 at 11:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

NecromancerGuy

Vershab dives into the research possible at the other libraries with all of the enthusiasm and energy he demonstrated in the Great Library. He seems less upset by the fact that there is nothing to find than one might expect - it seems to be something that doesn't bother him.

The arcanist seems unfazed by the delays with the haty-a - his many years in Osirion leaves him used to the cultural norm. When they finally receive good news he smiles beneath the hood of his robe and begins to bounce up and down on his heels, clearly excited (to anyone paying attention).

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I don't think Vershab has anything to do other than spending gold on a nice, new spellbook - which he doesn't actually need. For now, I will just have him engage in the research described in the previous post.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti's interest appears to be piqued by Sabef's mention of the beautiful Gate of the Moon, and she opens her lips to speak before pausing, brows furrowed in thought. After a surreptitious glance at Vershab, the paladin masters her features and adopts an expression of placating neutrality, waiting for the scholar to make his expectations known. Nodding her assent to his choice, she beckons Azkin along to follow, and the pair of Sarenites take their places at the fore and rear of the little procession.

As the days pass, Lehasti's boredom with research and impatience at their delay seem to take their toll on the paladin's deliberate facade of feigned interest in their secondary occupations with research. Azkin's equanimity seems to be a calming influence on the more impetuous aspects of his mistress's personality, however, and the pair maintain their composure while supporting (albeit haphazardly) Vershab's efforts to comb through the immense number of records, spanning what seems like an infinite timeline. Each morning, however, Lehasti's patience is tested.

On the fourth morning, the paladin lets out an explosive sigh of relief at Selek's good news. "Excellent! While I do not doubt the seriousness of her excellency's business, our errand grows no less urgent as time passes, and I am eager to see it concluded. We look forward to our meeting."

As the party leaves the deaconess to her business, Lehasti addresses Vershab, "Once more unto the libraries?" The paladin's dearth of enthusiasm threatens to break through the mask of patience on the paladin's face.

26. - Top - End - #56

NecromancerGuy

"Though I am not well-versed in these sorts of things, perhaps it would be wise for us to prepare ourselves and ensure we present our best appearance before the haty-a...? Are there baths, barbers, or perhaps a place to get armor polished and clothing washed? Can we make good use of the morning by ensuring we gain access to the Inner Sanctum?" Vershab replies, his voice uncertain but hopeful.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Turi wanders about almost haphazardly, partaking at whim of the various niceties that Tephu has to offer, and constantly casting a watchful eye over his brother and the perpetually focused Vershab. He makes no particular interest to demonstrate interest in their unrelated pursuits, and quickly becomes bored with the various libraries. Still, Tephu is a big place, and Turi is not about to trust his own blood's safety to the vagaries of chance and the compassion of so many strangers, so he sticks about, mostly bored. Frequently, he finds himself idly twirling or flipping a dagger, or practicing the various manipulations in hiding and subtly producing coinage and other trinkets.

More than a few times, Turi finds himself entertaining a few young urchins not unlike himself in days gone by. The eye of a small storm of amusement, a silver piece disappears into one child's ear, only to reappear from his neighbor's nose. One youngster finds a gull feather under his hat he knows wasn't there earlier in the day. Juggling stones is child's play, but nonetheless giggles of glee echo from the small crowd of children as they glint brilliantly in the midmorning sun.

He's anxiously spinning a pair of colorful rocks in his left hand as they approach the Sanctuary of Nethys on the fourth day. As the deaconess approaches, he narrows his eyes appraisingly- perhaps something is different about her demeanor today? He keeps his peace while the woman explains, his expression quickly coming to mirror Lehasti's. "Finally!" he mutters, before ceding the floor to Lehasti's more placating words. At the news that their audience will still have to wait several hours, he groans. "Guess so," he answers Vershab with a shrug.

28. - Top - End - #58

After such a long wait, it is a hopeful group of companions who walks back to the Sanctuary of Nethys for their audience with the haty-a. Deaconess Sekek takes them to a large, richly appointed chamber, where Deka An-Keret waits to meet them, with her retinue of guards and priests, all of which look at the entering Relic Knights with indifference - yet another group of petitioners, nothing out of the ordinary.

The haty-a is a middle-aged woman, a symbol of Nethys around her neck, wearing white robes. Her sharp, business-like gaze meets each member of the group, registering a quick assessment and filing it to memory. She rises, and incants a quick prayer to The All-Seeing Eye before the meeting begins.

"Good day to you. I am told you wish to peruse records in the Inner Sanctum. Please indicate the topics of your research."

Spoiler: Vershab & Calathon
    Show
    That was a Discern Lies spell.

Spoiler: All
    Show
    Should you wish to utter a lie, roll a DC18 Will save first. If you fail, you are compelled to tell the truth.

Spoiler: Deka An-Keret
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Turi walks in a step behind his companions. His eyes take in the entire room, while his presence quickly takes on an air of a trapped mouse; entirely too many guards and entirely too few exits. He forces his face to remain impassive as they step ever closer, unable to fully shake the sensation that they're somehow decidedly unsafe.

The prayer means little to the non-religious urchin, and fails to interrupt his persistent scanning of his surroundings. As the haty-a opens the floor to proceedings, Turi stands tall, deliberately telegraphing a lack of trepidation he doesn't feel. He keeps his peace, knowing that some combination of Lehasti's knack for delicate persuasion and Vershab's scholarship are what's needed to gain access to their prize.

30. - Top - End - #60

NecromancerGuy

Vershab looks about his allies and states, "Do not try to speak any falsehood - the haty-a has cast a spell to ensure our honesty," before turning to the woman and speaking plainly. "Good day, your excellency. We come from Wati where we fought against the recent undead plague. While the immediate threat has passed, the enemies of Osirion who initiated that dark time are still free. We believe that a forgotten pharaoh of old, known as the 'Sky Pharaoh,' is the key to defeating them. It is this ancient ruler whom we wish to research. There may be more, but until we have discovered something about him...well..."

The arcanist stops his speech abruptly as if about to say more, but instead looks straight ahead at the middle distance between himself and the haty-a. His expression remains wooden and uncomfortable in spite of the relatively verbose answer he gave. An observant witness would note his discomfort from his hands, which shake visibly at his sides.