The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 285
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Here is a pleasant young man, pleasant indeed!"
    The boy blinks. He glances to his left, and right, immediately confirming that he is, indeed, the young man in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Come that I can look at you better."
    His eyes widen outrageously. Of all the things she might have commanded an awkward, uncultured boy, this was not what he expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Do not worry, for I do not bite!"
    He blinks again, more than a little disturbed by the unsure chuckling from the woman's retainers. For another heartbeat or two, his legs still refuse the commands given. He glances uneasily at Lehasti before turning back to her excellence.

    As the youngster's limbs finally subject themselves to the situation, if not his intentions, he lurches, half-walking and half-stumbling, inexplicably enthralled by (and nervous of) the opulent decorations and the woman sitting atop them. He takes several, slow, stuttering steps forward. As he does so, a nervous flush rises from his neck to his cheeks, creeping higher with every step. Only a few feet away from Muminofrah, he remembers his purpose and raises the fan with both hands, inclining his head so that he stares mostly at the deck boards between them. His tongue continues its muntious betrayal, and he stands dumbstruck before the ostentatious display.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Charming, charming..." Her Excellency barely looks at the expensive gift before she nods to a manservant to take it from Turi's numb hands. "I will speak to you later." More courtesans arrive, and Lehasti takes this as a clear cue for the group to step aside, satisfied to have been accepted in this elevated company. Some of Tephu's richest and most important characters are on hand, in the midst of a throng of courtesans, sycophants, all being served exquisite foods and delicate beverages by a small army of servants.

    The companions spend about and hour in pleasantries, gossip, and admiring the sights of the palace in the background. Gardens and water features surround the property, and peacocks pecks at insects in the soft grass. Though this is usually a quiet and peaceful block of Tephu, Muminofrah's presence has turned the Palace of Gentle Reeds into a lively whirlwind of entertainment and commerce as performers and merchants have flocked to the growing collection of tents that have sprung up since her coming. The spontaneous revelry has expanded down the bank of the canal and now winds through neighboring streets.

    Her goal isn't far from Lehasti's mind, however, and when a servant comes towards the group, she steps forward, ready for an audience with the Fan-Bearer on the Right Side of the King. But she's in for a surprise, when the slave instead bows deeply in front of Turi.

    "My mistress wishes to talk to you, Master."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-10-02 at 07:28 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    At first, Turi is a little stunned by their sudden dismissal. He’s led away quietly, before blurting “wait!” to no avail. Over the next hour, his mood ranges wildly, from perceived failure, to amusement and distraction.

    He is relieved when the servant returns, and looks up to Lehasti’s expectantly. When the servant instead bows to him, summoning him personally for an audience, his eyes widen once more. With a nearly audible gulp, he turns to the Paladin. What do I do?!



    Visibly frightened, he almost begs for Lehasti's intervention.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti's eyes flash a moment of irritation as the party's presence is accepted without opportunity being given to discuss their mission. Without missing a beat, the paladin graciously sidles to the side with the remaining members of the party. She pulls Vershab to the side, and in a soft voice addresses him directly, "Friend Vershab- I do not doubt that you are impatient to continue our business, but for the moment we must play the parts that have been assigned to us. Watch and observe what you may."

    The paladin turns to give Azkin a glance pregnant with expectation, eyes darting briefly back toward Vershab and then back to the young cleric. After a moment's thought, understanding flashes into his expression, and he steps forward to stand attentively at the scholar's side. "Yes... politics can be a messy game. At least there are refreshments in the day's heat!" Azkin lifts a finger tentatively toward one of the servants, who skillfully and silently deposits a pair of drinks into the young man's hands. "Here. We're stuck waiting, might as well enjoy the perks!" he says, proffering the libation to Vershab.

    Satisfied with her young protege's efforts, Lehasti begins to circulate among the courtiers, introducing herself with broad smiles and flourishing (but shallow) bows. For once, the paladin listens more than she speaks, hoping to gather any insight into the web of intrigue that naturally follows such a personage in their travels.

    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Hoping to gather more specific information about Muminofrah, what brings her to the city, and etc.
    I'd be happy to stick with the previously-rolled Diplomacy, but if necessary: (1d20+20)[31]





    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "My mistress wishes to talk to you, Master."
    Lehasti's ready smile freezes, and her eyes widen in surprise as the servant addresses Turi. After recovering from the shock, she musters a murmured "I suppose... be yourself?" before the boy follows the servant away to his audience. Lapsing into a confused silence, Lehasti slumps into a nearby chair, chin resting in an opened hand.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab's face flashes with what might be annoyance at Lehasti's efforts to shuffle him to the side, but he says nothing and instead watches and listens silently while she mingles. At Turi's summons he blinks twice and watches Lehasti deflate before shrugs and smiles (woodenly) at the young man.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Nodding, Turi turns back to the servant. "Uh, OK," he stammers. "I guess lead the way?" He looks up to the woman again, and forces a brave face over his temerity. With less uneasy steps, he approaches Muminofrah.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    While Calathon and Vershab, understanding that the setting isn't the most favorable to exercise their special talents, make themselves discreet, Lehasti works the premises, making herself as pleasant as she can, and keeping her ears open. She soon gathers that Muminofrah is in Tephu on some sort of government business, something to do with inspecting the city's accounts of tax collection and possibly replacing a few functionaries. However, the unanimous revelers seem to know little, and care even less, on the details of so tedious a topic. The servant of Sarenrae also hears a number of possibly embellished stories about the evening's host - how she's been married eight times, every one of them out of love, or so the story goes; that her mother was a concubine in the harem of Khemet II, and Muminofrah grew up in the court of Khemet III and quickly made a name for herself as a virtuoso entertainer and a diva, so that she eventually was noticed by the Ruby Prince and made a Fan-Bearer; that she is one of the most powerful nobles in Sothis, and how this prestige extends even into the other cities of the Sphinx Basin and beyond; and how she's had countless lovers. Lehasti even gets a hint from one of the more salacious gossips on board, alluding to a rumored romantic link between Muminofrah and the Ruby Prince himself...

    Meanwhile, Turi appears in front of the noblewoman, blushing and stuttering a little. Muminofrah doesn't seem to notice, and instead beckons to him, an encouraging smile on her face. "Ah, here is my gorgeous visitor! Look at you, such a charmer... And you did bring me such a lovely gift, what was it again? No matter, the pleasure of your company is what takes my fancy tonight! " At a sign, from her, four slaves come to her, to serve a tagine of River Sphinx perch cooked with olives from huge silver tureens, along with grapes, huge loaves of bread, and copious amounts of barley beer and mint tea. Coyly batting her eyelashes, Muminofrah invites young Turi to sit with her.

    "How about you tell me about yourself? Why were you so impatient to visit me? Not about any important business, I hope! Tonight is for pleasure and entertainment, is it not?"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-10-18 at 08:06 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi is actually shocked by the woman's questions, having long-since decided that the erstwhile urchins of Wati are perhaps the least important figures in this whole experience; he's just happy that he's been able to help, so far. "M- me?" he stammers. "I'm just... uh, that is. Well, actually, your excellence, it is pretty important..." He looks almost ashamed to admit it.

    "See, my friends and I are... uh... I guess we're adventurers, huh?" He chuckles a little, having never really considered himself in that light. "And... we're trying to save the world from the-" he looks around, realizing that he's treading into dangerous waters, and surrounded by questionably-friendly ears. He lowers his voice conspiratorially: "the Sky Pharaoh!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If any rolls are relevant, I suspect diplomacy will be one. He's certainly not trying to dupe Muminofrah, and knows better than to risk intimidating tactics. :-P
    (1d20+3)[11]

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As Turi is led away Vershab approaches Lehasti and asks, "Shall I make one of us invisible to follow him? It may prove valuable to know how the interview progresses..."

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Adventurers! How amusing! Surely you will be able to regale me with delicious tales of weird encounters with creatures from other worlds, travels to impossible places, and all that! Although, please keep the bits with bloody fights out. I heard Yermeg Taleh recount some sort of skirmish with rotting undead the other day, that was dreadful. And the details! No, no, we're here to have fun and be merry, are we not... " She lowers her voice and shifts her body in a coquettish manner, beckoning Turi to sit closer.

    "Tell me, how do you think I look tonight? I had this new shade of nail paint mixed precisely to my specifications just last week. Everyone is telling me they match the color tone of my irises perfectly. But you know how these courtesans are, they'll say anything to please! I sooo would love to hear the honest opinion of a young, earnest boy such as yourself, a fresh pair of eyes so to speak... Reaaaally nice looking eyes too, just in case you didn't know..."

    Vershab overhears a courtier next to him, whispering to another: "Here we go, look at her... She goes for baby boys now. That will be fun to watch..."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-10-18 at 08:05 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    After overhearing the courtiers nearby his eyes grow wide with concern. "Lehasti! We must do something! Do you want to go or shall I? I might be quieter - without all that armor you wear - but you could surely provide better guidance to Turi! What shall we do?" he asks, fervently.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    At first, Turi's response is almost that of a giddy child. "Yeah! We were in Wati when the whole city erupted with-" but Muminofrah's apparent dislike for the unpleasantries of violence causes him to come up short. He looks at their would-be patroness askance as she mentions merrymaking. "Actually..."

    Nonetheless, Turi allows himself to be guided by the obviously otherwise-motivated noblewoman. Unwilling to allow his own reservations to interfere with the urgency of their present task, he finds himself cautiously approaching, to sit down as beckoned. He glances over his shoulder, pleading silently for Lehasti or someone else to interfere.

    "I uhhh..." It's obvious Turi doesn't know how to respond to Muminofrah's line of questions. In fact, as the moments pass, it becomes apparent that despite his age, the youngster has perhaps never even considered the appeals of the fairer sex. "You look... uh, nail paint?" He looks down at her hands, no doubt clearly displayed by the careful posturing of her excellency, and stares at them silently for a moment. "It's pretty," he offers, lamely. He looks up into her eyes when she mentions his, confused and uncomfortable by the line of conversation.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti watches Turi approach Muminofrah, brows furrowed in thought and concern, her chin resting on the fingers of one gauntleted fist. "We must tread lightly, Vershab," says the paladin quietly. "We seek a favor from this woman, who has the ear of the Ruby Prince. Subterfuge of any sort would likely be seen as treachery." She lapses into silence, brooding gaze continuing to rest on the young rogue.

    Azkin's gaze mirrors his mistress's, but with stronger notes of confusion and worry. The young cleric fidgets, leaning heavily on his spear as he shuffles balance from one foot to the other nervously. "He doesn't look comfortable... but what's the worst she could do?" he whispers furtively to Lehasti. "She won't eat him or anything, right?" he chuckles weakly, the forced attempt at humor falling somewhat flat.

    "Not in the sense you imagine, Azkin." The paladin murmurs sardonically. Glancing to her side and noting the young cleric's continued confusion, she continues, "Take heart. He is a wily young man, and we are but yards away. If he needs our aid, it will be swift in coming."
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "He is in danger now!" whispers Vershab as he shows uncharacteristic empathy for the young man. "Perhaps it isn't mortal danger, but our entire quest could be derailed if he misspeaks! He needs some help, even if it is in the form of a distraction...what if I were to use my magic to entertain, perhaps with an illusion of fireworks or something...?"

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti grins broadly at the slender scholar. "That sounds like an incredible idea, Vershab! A spectacle to draw both of their attention away from the more... subtle hazards they currently navigate. Fireworks seem a little mundane for such an assemblage- perhaps with your talents, a more exotic display can be accomplished?"
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab nods and begins muttering to himself as he thinks and begins to move his fingers animatedly. After several moments an illusory chalkboard appears to float in front of him and begins to fill with arcane and mathematical figures before he nods with satisfaction and begins weaving his arms dramatically. As he does a cascade of colors and geometric patterns begin to flow from the chalkboard into the air, filling several hundred cubic feet of the air with fractal patterns of light and color.

    The silent display is clearly both a thing of beauty and numeric patterns, flowing in a growing bloom of chaos-theory infused art. This continues for several minutes as the Arcanist continues to perform the complex mathematics and then shifts his results into the air above him. He seems oblivious to the response of others, as if engrossed in his effort. However, the attentive (and familiar) eyes of his allies note that he periodically looks towards Turi and Muminofrah, watching for a reaction from the woman.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Muminofrah's smile turns from seductive to amused. "My young friend, you have a lot to learn... Not to worry, it will eventually occur to you. But if you have no story or any other sort of... amusement... to entertain me, then what shall I do with you? Oh, how hard it is for a noble lady of my stature to find happiness and enjoyment amidst the tedium of this life!" For all her wiles, the noblewoman appears genuinely dismayed at Turi's failure to respond to her advances. She considers the boy, no doubt with the intention to summarily dismiss him, when an explosion of colors appears over her head, and everyone on the barge turns to the incredible display.

    Spoiler
    Show
    This will be a Perform check, with a +5 circumstance bonus for the cool use of illusion magic.
    (1d20+5)[20]


    "Wow, look at that! Now, that's exactly what I was talking about!" Muminofrah exclaims, delighted, while the courtesans stare at the impressive show of abstract rainbows and carefully calculated waves of light interspersed with intricate patterns of multifaceted, gem-like reflections. Everyone applauds heartily, and the evening continues with fresh rounds of drinks as the animated crowd comments on the show with admiration.

    "Young man, surely it is your little friend over there who's the author of this gorgeous piece! Bring him to me, now. I want to speak to him who put such a great display together in my honor!" Imperiously, the noblewoman signals to her servants to summon Vershab to her side.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-10-31 at 08:06 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab continues his display throughout the applause, apparently unaware of the response he is receiving from the crowd. Only when the servants come and distract him (breaking his concentration so that the spell ends) does he realize that he has gained the attention of Muminofrah. "Oh...well...take me to her, then," he says to them after smoothing out his robes carefully. Once in the woman's presence he smiles awkwardly and nods at Turi briefly before bowing at the waist to the noblewoman. "My lady, how can I be of service?"

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Oh, here he is! Come over, come over! Let us share a Lazy River Down in celebration of this gorgeous display!" Muminorah's face lights up at the sight of Vershab, and soon the young scholar finds himself hushed over to sit next to the enthusiastic noblewoman, while Turi appears to have utterly slipped her mind - the boy feels as if he's become suddenly invisible to both the lady and her servants. Seemingly appearing out of nowhere within instants of receiving the order, a slave kneels in front of the couch to present a gold platter with two ornate, wide crystal glasses, full with a bubbling, frothing blue liquid, apparently the aforementioned Lazy River Down.

    "This demonstration you put in my honor greatly flatters me", Muminofrah giggles as she takes her glass. "I had never before seen an illustration of a gentle lady's beauty represented with such a variety of shapes and hues. Tell me, what was your inspiration?"

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    At the sudden change of her attentions Vershab stands woodenly for a long moment - slightly too long to be comfortable - before being guided to sit beside her and saying, "Thank you, my Lady." Sitting with his back as straight as is possible on the opulent cushions he struggles to find a stable posture, moving awkwardly as he constantly shifts and adjusts to try to settle himself. The arrival of the bright blue drinks catches his attention, though, and he stands to hand Muminorah her drink as he takes one in hand. Looking at the serving girl he asks, "What exactly is in a 'Lazy River Down?' Some form of liqueur?" Turning back to the noblewoman he says, "It is a very pretty drink - does it taste good?"

    After taking a sip, he smiles broadly and exclaims, "Oh, it is a bit like the pomegranate drink I had several days ago! How delightful!" Vershab then takes another drink before seeming to realize that he hasn't responded to Muminorah's questions yet. "My Lady, please excuse me - I am not well versed in courtly courtesies. I thank you for your kind words regarding the fractal display several moments ago. Such mathematical sequences can be quite aesthetically pleasing when assigned compatible color schemes. This particular pattern is related to something described in academic circles as 'chaos theory,' though I find the description to be terribly vague. Are you familiar with non-repeating decimal numbers and their interactions with non-Euclidian geometry?" The arcanist takes another drink from his crystal glass as he looks at the noblewoman. From his expression he seems to be surprised at her sudden interest in esoteric mathematics and does not realize that she is looking for a compliment from him...

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Her Excellency's eyes briefly appear to glaze over when Vershab launches into a scholarly summary of his art's mathematical foundations. "Geometry, I hear, is useful for building bridges, but I've never heard of a theory I wanted to hear about", she pouts disdainfully. "Such matters are so horribly, horribly boring! Don't I have enough worries to deal with about administration in these tiny towns?"

    She takes a delicate sip, visibly enjoying the strong, flavor-rich experience of the fruity drink. Vershab feels just a tad light-headed. It might be that the Lazy River Down's sweet, rich taste incorporates a higher alcoholic content than it would seem upon first tasting it.

    "Let's talk about more attractive subjects. Your show was full of delight for me, but one doesn't need to know how the stew is made, as it were. Wouldn't it be more interesting to consider how good my eye color looks under this light tonight?" She gives an appreciative glance into a mirror, held by a slave at the ready for just such an occasion. "Don't you think?" She bats her eyelids, watching for Vershab's reaction.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab sighs at the noblewoman's response, his enthusiasm curbed by her lack of interest. "My Lady, I apologize if I bored you, but am glad you enjoyed the demonstration," he says, not making eye contact. "As for your eye color, I admit to some discomfort with looking directly into another's eyes as they look into mine...Your ensemble is quite pleasant, aesthetically, though. Your turquoise jewelry and nail enamel compliment the crimson of your...wardrobe very nicely. The bright contrast between colors is balanced expertly by the glitter of the gold, which only goes to highlight the healthy...glow of your skin.

    My Lady, I am greatly pleased to see that you are well and healthy and I do appreciate your time this day...So that I do not waste your valuable time by rambling too much, may I present another illusory display? This one of less abstract nature and more dramatic entertainment!?
    "

    Without waiting for an answer he begins to cast another illusion spell, this one appearing as a stage, taking the entirety of the space his spell allows in the air above the assembled nobility and merchants. As he casts he calls out to Lehasti, saying, "Assembled admirers of the great Muminofrah...please direct your attention to the words of my ally, the holy knight Lehasti! With her...assistance I would like to present the tale of recent heroics in and around the city of Wati that led us to this day...and the august presence of our benefactor, the...lovely Lady Muminofrah!" As he speaks, the "stage" begins to be populated with a cast depicting the Relic Knights and their various allies and foes, with names written above each in glowing script. Once Lehasti comes close enough to hear him he says, "I can keep this illusion going as long as I concentrate - tell the story, with a bit more heroics and less grit than truly happened. I will make it as flashy and exciting as I can visually, but we will need your voice to carry the story as we go..."

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As Muminofrah's attention is suddenly turned skywards, Turi starts, having missed the entire display in his uneasy fixation. "Oh?" He turns to see it, pleased to have the woman's attention off of him. Having suddenly become irrelevant and of little interest, he allows himself to ease into the pillows well to the side of her excellency, using every bit of his poise and demeanor to appear as boring and unnoticeable as he can manage.

    For a moment, he turns his attention to Vershab's awkward conversation. Noting the arcanist's social ineptitude (and failing to note the irony), he squirms a little in vicarious embarrassment. As Vershab conjures a stage, complete with images of himself and the rest of the Relic Knights, Turi recognizes an opportunity. Putting the display behind him, he steps out with the confident, but somehow still self-deprecating urgency that helps servants remain unnoticed. Turi follows one of them to wherever these drinks are being crafted. There, while trying to remain inconspicuous, he listens, eager to learn whatever he can from the whispers and idle chatter of the ones who see the most.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure if bluff or stealth is more appropriate (to appear "appropriate" in whatever works as serving quarters):

    (1d20+7)[17] bluff
    (1d20+15)[35] stealth

    Also not sure if diplomacy to gather info or perception to overhear is more applicable:

    (1d20+3)[15] diplo
    (1d20+12)[30] perception

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab's display only momentarily diverts Lehasti's attention from her focused observation of Muminofrah and Turi. As the noblewoman releases the young boy from her clutches, tension begins to dissipate from the paladin's form, only to redouble as she summons Vershab to replace him. Lehasti's stare at the two intensifies, any veneer of casual observation having vanished completely. As Muminofrah begins to bat her eyelashes, Lehasti stands, taking the first few steps to Vershab's relief...

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Assembled admirers of the great Muminofrah...please direct your attention to the words of my ally, the holy knight Lehasti! With her...assistance I would like to present the tale of recent heroics in and around the city of Wati that led us to this day...and the august presence of our benefactor, the...lovely Lady Muminofrah!"
    Lehasti's eyes widen in momentary surprise at Vershab's address, but with the air of a practiced orator, the paladin lifts her voice above the dwindling conversation. "Friends and honored guests, fortunate indeed are we all this day to enjoy the comforts of life. Good food, better drink, and exceptional company mark today's celebration- but ever must these pleasures be earned by the strivings of the steadfast and righteous against the forces of darkness and death! Recall ye the plague of risen dead in the great half-city of Wati? Rumors may say that this is a tale of far-fetched fancy, or a story to cow children into obedience, but I tell you that the tales are true- the restless dead walked among- and preyed upon- the good people of that fair city. We blessed few were gifted with strength to overcome this darkness. Vershab, master of the arcane; Turi of the swift feet; Calathon of the piercing eye; Azkin, petal of the Dawnflower; and lastly, your humble servant, blade of the Everlight." The paladin gestures toward each of the party members in turn. "But that great triumph came not without great price; our hearts ache for the loss of one of our own; Menedes of the stone folk gave his last, full measure of strength to buy those peoples, and our story is his great tale."

    With a quick glance to gauge the crowd's attention (and satisfied in finding them fixed on Vershab's visual display more than upon her own words), the paladin launches into the grand tale of the party's exploits, beginning on the fateful day of the dead uprising. In hushed tones, she describes with wonder the discovery of a dragon, seemingly made of living diamond, right upon the city's doorstep; with grim contempt and disdain the treachery of cultists, misusing magic for their own dark ends; her description of Menedes' death at the hands of a vengeful ghoul manages to skirt the harsh realities of combat while bestowing the dwarf with all the heroic accolades of the most legendary of figures.

    As the last vestiges of the plague are beaten back in her narrative, the paladin skirts the precise nature of their unseen adversary while finishing in rising, climactic voice: "......but lo! Never does evil rest for long, and our quest continues. Strength of arm, quickness of feet and brilliance of mind have conquered thus far, but our hunt to pierce the heart of this great evil brings us here, to the hospitality of our glorious host, Her Excellency, the Fan-Bearer on the Right Side of the King. May the echoes of her praises never fade!" The paladin lifts her goblet in the direction of Muminofrah before drinking deeply of its contents. "No doubt, with her gracious aid, this darkness will be vanquished, and the peace of the realm secured- forever!" Punctuating her finale with the jab of her uplifted fist, the paladin regards the assembled audience with a proud, determined expression.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I'm happy to let the previous nat'l 20 roll on Diplomacy to be recast as a Performance check (+9, untrained but with Azkin's Touch of Glory mod).
    Alternatively: (1d20+9)[14] Performance
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2018-11-12 at 12:25 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    14 Performance, plus 5 circumstance bonus for the great display for a good total of 19.


    Supported by Vershab's impressive illusions, as well as a few strategically placed explosions and smoke clouds from Calathon adding heat and smell effects to the improvised show, Lehasti's epic tale draws great applause from the crowd of courtesans. Muminofrah claps her hands a few times, with a smile that all around her immediately mimic. She gestures to call Lehasti to her side.

    "This was a nice performance, and most pleasing to me. A great tale of victory over evil, and with gorgeous effects! I am... satisfied, this was good entertainment for the afternoon."

    She pauses, eyeing Lehasti's athletic body from head to toe with an appreciative look before turning her attention back to Vershab. "Hopefully, the next great story you present to us will have more comedy in it. I really could do with a good laugh! But for today, I will like to reward your efforts. You may... ask me for a favor."

    Meanwhile, Turi makes himself scarce. Moving discreetly towards the area were servants are busy preparing the foods and drinks a the whims of the great lady and her guests, he only overhears the whispered commands they transmit to one another and notes their stress as they seem as eager to please as worried about the possibility of punishment, should they falter in their task.

    Walking back through the throng of guests to the sound of admiring oohs and aahs while his companions' display is in progress, he hears a voice he can't quite place, but is sure he has heard somewhere before...

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    At Muminofrah's offer of a favor Vershab breathes an audible sigh of relief. Looking to Lehasti he tries to wait patiently but is nearly immediately overcome with his excitement. "My Lady...we beg your assistance securing access to the Inner Sanctum of the Great Library. We have requested access from...the haty-a, but she has refused us and we do not know why. Inside the Inner Sanctum we expect to learn more about...the architect of the undead plague in Wati and hopefully find a way to prevent such a...tragedy from repeating. Will you help us?"

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi stops short on his way back to the party. That voice again! Despite his curiosity and excitement, he tries to maintain his composure as he frantically searches for the source of the inexplicably familiar voice.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Still not sure re bluff (+7) vs stealth (+15). (1d20)[17] + whichever.
    (1d20+12)[18] perception to locate the source?

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti nods her solemn agreement with Vershab's description. "Out of deference for her Excellency's comfort and that of her guests, our tale left out much of the... unpleasantness of our struggle in Wati. Let me assure you, however, that our quest here is of the direst import, with countless lives at stake. The sooner we discern the source of that evil, the more quickly we can render it unable to disrupt the august reign of The Ruby Prince and the prosperity of his people and courts."
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2018-11-15 at 02:21 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Why so serious, my dear friend, why so serious?"Muminofrah laughs, good-naturedly, in answer to Vershab's and Lehasti's earnestness. "You come here with a nice gift, a beautiful bit of entertainment, and above all, your graceful good looks, which I think I will enjoy seeing more of, during my days in this city!" There is little doubt that the paladin's charismatic presence and rugged beauty have struck the great lady's eye.

    "I think your story is great for a theatrical performance, but you seem to think it is actually true. Much less interesting... Nevertheless, I did promise you a favor in return, and a favor shall be granted, lest it be said that Muminofrah isn't a woman of her word! You say Deka didn't grant you access to some Sanctum place? That can readily be arranged. I want to see the haty-ha, at once!" At her words, a slave immediately departs, at a run, to carry the noblewoman's request to the Sanctuary of Nethys. The next half-hour is spent in more pleasantries, drinks, and overall merriment.

    Meanwhile, Turi mixes in with the crowd, trying to place the voice he just heard turning down a slave's offer of a platter of grilled fish. It's a young, feminine voice, pleasant but with a slight tint of harshness. The woman it belongs to is unfamiliar, however. She is elegantly dressed in golden-hued robes, an elaborate headress, and expensive-looking jewelry. Her intent look in the direction of the Fan-Bearer on the Right Side of the King, presently talking to Lehasti and Vershab, indicates more than the usual fawning of a courtesan for the person with the most power in a gathering.

    Then, something clicks inside Turi's mind. The Observatory of Truth and Wisdom... The cultists... "We are the true heirs to the Sky Pharaoh's legacy! When he rises again to reclaim his throne, we will receive Hakotep's blessings, not the likes of you!" ... That same voice.

    After some time, the haty-ha, Deka An-Keret, appears in front of Muminofrah, accompanied by a retinue of scribes, priests of Nethys, and guards. Tephu's governor is decidedly less than pleased with this interruption of her daily activities, but it is apparent she has no choice. Muminofrah deals with her tersely: "These friends of mine require access to the Inner Sanctum of the Great Library. Please give them whatever paperwork is necessary." Deka An-Keret looks like she might argue the case, but thinks better of it, and soon enough, a scribe presents Lehasti with the eagerly desired written permission, valid for three days, to access the Spiral Archive in the Library's Inner sanctum.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab bows to Muminofrah and bobs his head at the haty-a before beginning to walk away. "Three days - that isn't much time and it won't be easy to prepare. I must ensure the spells I prepare are oriented to help speed along our research! My godfather can help and Turi can climb the stacks. Lehasti may be able to help sort through the books and help us find the correct reference..." he mutters as his mind moves towards the task of the next day. Unless someone stops him, he makes his way back to the inn and begins his preparations for the work in the Inner Sanctum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •