The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 285
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Is this one of those moral-issues that I struggle to understand? I certainly mean the curator no harm - only to convince her that we are friends and worth skirting the rules to help..."]
    Lehasti leads the party for several more steps before responding in a soft voice, "Sometimes it is less about "harm" and more about the proper way to do things. I would certainly not appreciate such an intrusion upon my own mind and will, nor do I imagine would you. No, my friend," she continues, "the right thing done the wrong way quickly becomes the wrong thing, and leads toward ill means that become their own ends. No, " she sighs as though steeling her resolve, "it is because the right thing is often the hard thing that it is so seldom done."

    "Well, we must get access to the correct library quickly - the longer we wait the stronger our enemies become! Shall we go straight to the Haty-a tonight, or attempt to sway her superior instead? I don't think the Haty-a likes us and am concerned that she may be helping our opponents...Besides, the Muminofrah seemed to like you, Lehasti! She might be convinced to move this along again!"
    The paladin raises one eyebrow and smiles sardonically at nobody in particular. "Another example, my friend, of the expedient path being the lesser of our choices. No, I think we should seek an urgent audience with the Haty-a, as the rightful authority of this city; perhaps I may impress upon her the sincerity of our intentions, and the immediacy of our task. If she will listen to reason, she may prove to be a valuable ally. That is," she turns to seek a meeting of Vershab's eyes, "unless you have reason to doubt her good intentions?"
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "She has already given us reason to doubt - she dismissed us out of hand after hearing our very valid reasons before. She also appears to be a worshipper of Nethys - whose followers are not known for their benevelance but are known for coveting magic power and causing destruction with it. We have already fought members of Nethys' church! What other reason could she have for turning us away before?" Vershab asks, his calm, precise tone at odds with the passionate words.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Previously quiet- though the canny observer would note no small regret as they leave, an opportunity lost to play the decoy- Turi speaks up at Vershab's objection. "I think he's right," the youngster states, simply. "I don't trust this Haty-a lady one bit. I think every time we tell her of our plans, it only helps those cultists that have been following us!"

    "But if we go to Muminofrah..." The boy falls into an uneasy silence as he considers another audience. As the moments tick by, it quickly becomes apparent that he's uncomfortable just talking about the noblewoman- much less venturing into her presence once more. Finally, after a time, he shrugs unhappily.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Well, I am confident that a powerful noblewoman of Muminofrah's stature will expect more from us in exchange for her favor. We need to bring something - or someone - to her that will confirm the worth of her investment in us. My skills do not tend towards entertaining nobles with somewhat vacuous airs...shall we look into another gift of some sort? Or would the most fair of our number be willing to sit with her again in exchange for further assistance? Lehasti, while there is some similarity between a military chain of command and the interactions between nobles, it is not necessarily expedient or expected that gentry such as ourselves speak to the immediate-most noble first each time! If you insist that we attempt to follow the customs of the Church of Nethys and go through their official channels, at least begin your efforts at the point most likely to aid us!" Vershab entreats, his voice still using the cadence of an academic lecture instead of the heartfelt plea he voices.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "She has already given us reason to doubt - she dismissed us out of hand after hearing our very valid reasons before. She also appears to be a worshipper of Nethys - whose followers are not known for their benevelance but are known for coveting magic power and causing destruction with it. We have already fought members of Nethys' church! What other reason could she have for turning us away before?"
    Lehasti's brows furrow as she considers the arcanist's words.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Well, I am confident that a powerful noblewoman of Muminofrah's stature will expect more from us in exchange for her favor. We need to bring something - or someone - to her that will confirm the worth of her investment in us. My skills do not tend towards entertaining nobles with somewhat vacuous airs...shall we look into another gift of some sort? Or would the most fair of our number be willing to sit with her again in exchange for further assistance? Lehasti, while there is some similarity between a military chain of command and the interactions between nobles, it is not necessarily expedient or expected that gentry such as ourselves speak to the immediate-most noble first each time! If you insist that we attempt to follow the customs of the Church of Nethys and go through their official channels, at least begin your efforts at the point most likely to aid us!"
    "To Turi's concern, I like not the idea of subjecting any of you to the... apparent appetites of our current benefactor, nor do I think myself suited to the sort of entertainment she may most desire. The paladin's slightly pursed lips evince her distaste for the seemingly carnal foibles exhibited by Muminofrah at their last meeting. "To Vershab's, I do not think it fully proper to paint the entire church of Nethys with the brush of the cultists we have fought in the past, and even if the haty-a should be counted among their number, she deserves the same opportunity as any to repent of wickedness and be redeemed. Perhaps my reappearance as a supplicant will move her to consider such things." The paladin appears resolute in a fashion that it seems only such paladins can be.

    She turns to give Vershab and Turi a look as they continue to walk. "Were I not concerned for your safety, I would not ask that you join me in such a meeting, but it may be true that enemies lurk behind every veil. However, the haty-a's schedule may not permit a speedy meeting, and with what time we have already lost, I am prepared to pursue other avenues if we must."
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab looks at Lehasti expressionlessly for several breaths. Finally he responds, saying, "If the Haty-a will see us and grant us access immediately , then we can go that way. If not, we should first approach Muminofrah and suffer her advances as necessary to get into the Dark Depository right away - there is too much at stake to allow our personal hesitation to slow us down. If she doesn't help us I think we must be prepared to break into the library and get access that way. With time to prepare and plan it should not be too difficult...invisibility spells will allow us past the mortal guards, we can dispose of the daemon and elementals if necessary, and neutralize any other threats as they come, I am sure. Tonight I will spend some time preparing for that course - Turi, can you help me in this endeavor? Your experiences on the street could give me insights I might otherwise lack..."

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perhaps over Hangouts we can work out the details, but I think it is time to plan a break-in, even if we don't commit it. Anyone opposed to the course of action Vershab describes above?

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti's troubled expression deepens as Vershab continues, culminating in a slack-jawed expression of shock at the arcanist's nonchalant suggestion. After a few visible attempts to being speaking, the paladin masters herself and says, "I... we... should, nay, must ensure that such drastic measures are required before stooping to burglary under cover of darkness! The Great Library is a sacred space to the faithful of Nethys, and under lawful purview of the haty-a! Although..." the paladin's expression grows thoughtful for a moment. "If I may seek, even briefly, an audience with the haty-a, perhaps I can determine with aid from Sarenrae," the paladin reflexively raises her face upward as though toward a rising sun, "whether she is in league with our enemies, or simply a disinterested bureaucrat. Should I confirm that the lawful authorities have been subverted to dark ends..." with a clenched jaw and a narrow-eyed, grim expression, she continues, "...our hand may be forced."

    The paladin turns to meet Vershab's eyes with her own, resolve evident on her face. "Accompany me to see the haty-a, and perhaps by some spell you can also seek to penetrate any mask she might wear and see to her heart's true motives. Then we will know what we must do."
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Wealday, 29 Abadius

    After a comfortable night at the Inn of the Desert Winds, the companions take the now familiar path to the Sanctuary of Nethys. Their guide Sabef, after spending two long days waiting for them in front of the Great Library, evidently had hopes for some more exciting activity today, but he recognizes the purposefulness in Lehasti's demeanor, and follows cheerfully enough, continuing his ever-present commentary of the sights of the City of Reeds.

    At the Sanctuary, they meet Diaconess Sekek again. The veiled priestess listens to them in a somewhat guarded manner "I understand, and I remember the urgency of your need. I will convey your request to the haty-a promptly."

    Spoiler: Vershab
    Show
    (1d20+13)[29]
    Vershab gets a definite impression of Sekek's utter lack of enthusiasm with what she just promised.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-02-27 at 09:07 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi watches with more than a little reservation as the two more senior Relic Knights discuss their options. Though originally intrigued by Vershab's suggestion of subterfuge, and he's more than a little eager to ply his skills once more, Lehasti's insistence of granting the proper, legal channels one more try ultimately proves difficult to argue with. Other than the question of efficacy, which doesn't seem to faze the stoic servant of the dawnflower, the youngster is forced to admit that the potential for immediately life-ending consequences is doubtless lesser in the haty-a's court than sparring toe-to-toe with demons...

    He follows with his now-pervasive suspicious glances for every corner, covered window, and awning- seeing enemies and spies in almost every unfamiliar face.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab watches Seles leave before saying, a little too loudly to be subtle, "She is not looking forward to the task we have just given her - I do not know why, though. Perhaps Diaconess Sekek is an ally and the Haty-a has made it known that we are not in her favor...or Sekek too may be opposed to our efforts. I doubt this will go well."

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "I do not doubt that she anticipates a somewhat less than pleasant reception from her mistress at the news that we seek audience; it could be as simple as that. We must be alert for what sense we may make of her response, and prepared for the worst." The paladin closes her eyes prayerfully and breathes deeply for a moment before opening eyes that seem to shimmer with a golden fire. Turning her blazing eyes to meet that of her young protege, the paladin nods expectantly at Azkin, who meets her intense gaze with a serious one of his own. The two incline their heads prayerfully, and the young cleric intones, "Healing Flame, burn bright through your servant, revealing in Your light those things that hide in the darkness, and healing any division between those of good will."

    A sudden zephyr tugs at one of the window coverings, and for a few moments the sun shines unhindered on Lehasti; even after the curtains settle, the paladin of the Dawnflower seems to glow, her eyes radiating both warmth and confidence, and her posture easy and relaxed.

    Having made their preparations, the servants of the Dawnflower turn, resuming their patient watch for news of the hate-a's response to their petition.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Lehasti activates Detect Evil to scrutinize the haty-a; Azkin activates Touch of Glory to add +5 to Lehasti's next Charisma-based skill check.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Suddenly, Sekek returns, and something in her step lets Vershab know that perhaps he should have kept his voice lower. In spite of the veil, her gaze pierces him as she addresses him directly, with a desert-dry tone. "I heard that, and I don't appreciate your speculation over my motives."

    She turns to Lehasti. "Your friend is boorish, but he's at least correct on one thing, Stewardess of the Dawnflower. I do not enjoy the prospect of requesting an audience to the haty-a on your behalf. Care to guess why?" She doesn't really wait for an answer, and goes on. "Because I know she will say no, and she will be annoyed at me just for asking. Did you think she appreciated the little stunt you played with this noblewoman from the court of the Ruby Prince? Getting her summoned her like some lowly servant, interrupting her work? In the best of times, no one gets an audience with the haty-a in less than three or four days at least, as you noticed the first time you asked for one. At times like this? Don't expect any until at least three times as long, if ever."

    "Oh, and I would advise against using divination magic against any official of the haty-a's rank. Especially right here in the heart of the Sanctuary of the god of Magic. Did you think no one would notice?" She pauses. "Scrying on her in such a crude way could well get you sent to a dungeon, to be forgotten for a good while. Oh, and... The haty-a is not an evil person, just so you know."

    "Why am I telling you this and not just ignoring you? Well, when you visited last week, you had me convinced that your cause is important, maybe vital. So, I want to help you. But with the haty-a? I cannot. So my help shall take the form of advice: Look for another way into the Dark Depository."

    With that, she turns on her heels, and storms out of the room without another look at the startled companions.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you ask: Sekek isn't evil.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-03-11 at 06:14 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab stares at Sekek walking away without expression, before saying, quietly, "I'm boorish? Should I apologize? It wasn't intentional..." He allows himself to be led out of the building and back to the inn before engaging the others in discussion again.

    After some time in quiet reflection, the scholar turns to Turi and says, "Well, I think Sekek's advice was an invitation to attempt to utilize your skills, augmented by my magic. Perhaps it will not be distasteful to Lehasti or your brother since we have been invited into the Depository - in a sense - and thus it won't be...unlawful...? Between my arcane magic turning you invisible and letting you fly, do you think that will be sufficient to effectively scout the Library by dark without being seen by the human guards? I can use a magical disguise and similar spells to attempt my own exploration - perhaps even by appearing to be the Haty-a herself! Wouldn't that be something...exciting? Is that the right emotion? Obviously I still struggle with this sort of thing - not the larceny and illicit activities, but the emotional response to them. Am I on the right track here?"

    Spoiler: Spells up for use in casing the library
    Show
    Cantrips - All available, plus clerical Orisons cast by Azkin
    1st - Charm Person (vs guards or curators), Disguise Self (as the Haty-a?), Obscuring Mist (to hide an escape), Silent Image (distraction or to provide an illusion to hide behind), Vanish (duh)
    2nd - Cat's Grace (+2 to Dex checks), Glitterdust (throw it in their eyes to blind them and get away), Invisibility (you have to ask...really?), Knock (the arcane lockpick)
    3rd - Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (Divination to watch an area for patrols), Dispel Magic (remove their magical protections), Fly (cause walking is for losers), Stinking Cloud (better than Obscuring Mist and it smells!), Summon Monster III (more scouts, distractions, spells - a Lantern Archon, Grig, Blink Dog, Nosoi, Silvanshee - we probably cannot use it's Commune SLA due to the 10 minute casting time, but it would be cool if we could! - or Small Elemental are the most interesting options, though a herd of 1d4+1 celestial ponies randomly showing up would be interesting too!)

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi stands stock still as Selek makes her irritated return. He finds his voice as the woman turns away, and calls out "but! Wh-" He pauses, unsure if it's wise to continue. Almost under his breath, he finishes, "Why would she say no?" To the active observer, it's obvious the young man is both genuinely curious and somehow disappointed. He doesn't really expect an answer from Selek, and instead of waiting for one, turns away to listen to Vershab.

    Perhaps inexplicably, the youngster doesn't seem as excited as he was before at the prospect of breaking in. Whether the thought of demonic resistance has grown on him, or some other unvoiced concern, Turi is obviously uneasy. After listening to Vershab's ramblings, he asks, "but where is it? We'll have to find it first, and for that we'll need.... help? Or we'll have to find out from someone who knows..." He shrugs, clearly at a loss.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Our guide, the young boy...named...Sabef....I think - he might know. And if he doesn't he can direct us to someone else who might. There are many sages in this city, surely one of them is at least familiar with its whereabouts," answers Vershab. "I would go out and speak to the locals, but me speaking seems to be getting us into more trouble than it is helping. Listening, though, that I can do! Let us go out and see what we can learn. If all else fails, I can charm one of the curators at the main library and they can help us..."

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Diplomacy checks to gather information from the locals (presumably by Lehasti and/or Turi)? If not, Charm Person? DC of either 16 or 17, if I invest Arcane Pool points.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi quickly realizes that his lack of knowledge of Tephu's markets puts him at a disadvantage when it comes to fishing information out of the locals. He wisely decides to ask for help from the one expert the group thinks they can trust - their guide, Sabef. The enthusiastic youngster readily accepts the mission. "Of course, Master Turi, it will be my pleasure! Indeed, you have been visiting many of the most classic sights of Tephu by now, it stands to reason that you would wish to discover things off the beaten path. To my unending shame, I must confess I do not know the answer to your question!" The boy looks as if he's personally offended by the existence of a Tephu locale he can't immediately guide his charges towards. But his crestfallen face soon turns into an easy smile. "But, never fear! Maybe I don't know, but I will, soon. In fact, I know someone who knows someone who...Well... I shall be back promptly!" Sabef swiftly runs away, before Turi can ask if he could join him on the search.

    A few hours later, Sabef reappears at the Inn of the Desert Winds. He makes straight for Turi, and takes him to the side. The smile is gone, replace by a serious, even anxious look in the young man's eyes as he lowers his voice to a whisper. "Master, I have to say... This is an unusual place, what you seek. Not for visitors, not at all. Are you really, really sure?" As Turi nods, indicating that the request is not by any means frivolous, Sabef sighs. "All right. But the one who knows, he told me not to go. It's not just... on the edge of the law. Although, it is, for sure. You'd have to go at night, not to be seen. But that's not all. The place is dangerous. The priests, they really don't want anyone to visit, ever. I would hate to see you enter, never to be seen again. He told me... The knowledgeable person told me... You shouldn't. But if you insist... He will tell me how to get there. For a... Well, a price. He wants... five hundred gold pharaohs!" Sabef barely dares utter the words of such outrageous terms. "He said there is danger to him, giving this information. And... To me, as well."

    Turi notices a slight coating of sweat on the youngster's brow.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti watches Sekek's second exit in stunned silence, blinking twice as the flaming sheen dissipates from her eyes. the paladin rubs her eyelids in annoyance and disappointment as Vershab and Turi discuss the effort to move forward.

    "As disheartened as I am by the situation with the haty-a, I am not yet convinced that we should flout what law remains surrounding this Dark Depository," begins Lehasti, "but it seems prudent to gather what knowledge we may about its whereabouts, and to determine what hurdles may remain before us, should we be forced to take more drastic measures. Such an undertaking would indeed be 'exciting'," the paladin's eyebrow rises, one corner of her mouth rising in a sarcastic but amused smile, "but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing."

    Lehasti nods her assent to Vershab's suggestion, and leads the way out to seek their young guide and what direction he might be able to provide.




    Lehasti notes the distinct change in Sabef's posture as he pulls Turi to the side, and wordlessly she steps forward to listen to his remarks, meeting the obviously discomfited boy's glance with a reassuring smile and nod; as he looks away, however, the paladin's expression shifts into one of concern. As he concludes his message, she closes the remaining distance and reaches out her hand to rest it gently on the young man's shoulder. "My young friend... it has been our good fortune to have found so capable and determined a guide, and it seems that we have repaid you by entangling you in the dark strands of the plot we ourselves seek to unravel. I can only offer you both my most heartfelt thanks and my deepest apologies." The paladin's voice is a pensive murmur in the suddenly quiet room.

    "I cannot ask that you further endanger yourself on our account, but we must move forward however we may. If you can lead us to your source, I would be happy to provide you with coin enough to buy your safety until we can end the looming threat, gods willing, and then I will ask no more of you." The paladin's serious face rests on that of their young guide.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Please, my Lady, don't ask me to do that. The person... who knows someone knowledgeable... Won't allow this. Just... Er... You'll have to entrust me with the gold. Then, that person... Er, will let you know where to find what you seek." The boy's unease is apparent, his usually confident demenaor replaced by anxious looks around, in fear that someone might overhear the conversation.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi listens attentively, his face growing ever more serious and concerned with each uneasy statement. He looks up to Lehasti's solid gaze and- finding it a reflection of his own, nods somberly. "I think we have little choice," he admits, begrudgingly. "Though I hate to ask you to endanger yourself on our behalf, if your source will not meet us directly, it remains necessary- our interest is indeed one of necessity." He looks ashamed to have this burden fall on an otherwise uninvolved citizen, but with a shrug conveys his assent.

    "We have the coin, and will give whatever is needed to protect you."

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "All.. All right... Can we go to a place out of sight?" A visibly nervous Sabef follows Turi, and as the two boys of a similar age go into that transaction, it is apparent that neither is used to seeing this much gold in one place. Sabef carefully splits the coin into several piles - Turi notes how that gives him an opportunity to recount quickly and without fuss - and hides them into multiple pockets that somehow exist in numerous points on his outfit. And then, he sets off, running.

    The rest of the day passes quietly, and the companions begin to wonder if they trusted the right person.

    After dinner, Turi goes back to his room. A small papyrus roll lays on his bed - a simple map, with the words "Wadjet's Walk" at the top, and a dark squarish sign in the middle of one of the area's smaller alleys. By now, Turi knows enough of he city to recognize the reference to Tephu's canal, named Wadjet's Walk in honor of the goddess of the Sphinx River, that runs through the district that shares its name.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi quickly snatches up the map and reviews the lines indicating various alleys and waterways. For several minutes, he stands in silence, committing the scribbles too memory. After doing so, he carefully roll the papyrus again, and tucks it into his boot. The sensation is a little irritating as it scratches gently against his ankle, but he's confident he'll notice if it goes missing. With near-silent steps, he leaves the room in search of his companions. As if his expression is not enough to announce the discovery, he simply states "I found something." Without reaching for the papyrus, he relates the discovery of the map, and his concern that Sabef never returned to deliver it personally.

    "I think we have no choice but to assume it legitimate, but... we should tread carefully nonetheless." As they begin to discuss their plans to move forward, he mutters, "I hope Sabef is OK..."

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti sighs heavily at Turi's revelation. "Everlight illumine his steps," breathes the paladin prayerfully, and Azkin inclines his head in an echo of his mistress's benediction, the boy's somber face looking much older than usual.

    "I hope that our path soon crosses with that of our young guide, but in the meanwhile we must at least honor his efforts. I see no reason to wait for the morning to investigate this lead. What say you?" The paladin turns to meet the eyes of her companions, one by one.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The night is cold and dry, a follow-up to the scorching sun of daytime that is typical of Osirion's climate. The Relic Knights cautiously wander through the streets of Wadjet's Walk.

    This is a district populated by merchants, traders, and the wealthier artisans of Tephu, living in colorful riads with lush green courtyards and beautiful arched doorways. Others make do with simpler dwellings, generally mud brick or sandstone compounds and apartments. Mausoleums, souks, and even fortified communal granaries are crammed side by side with temples, small palaces, papyrus mills, and warehouses. Through it all flows the eponymous canal, wide enough to carry all but the largest vessels. In the distance, the group notices Muminofrah's barge, berthed at quay next to the Palace of Gentle Reeds.

    The streets of Wadjet's Walk are mostly dark or empty, although the group encounter the occasional passerby or city guard patrol. Their map leads them to one of the more narrow streets, and after some searching, they find that their goal is what appears to be an old, abandoned well, closed with a rusting iron grate, chain and lock.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Keep going," Turi mutters, deliberately striding past the well, as if his wandering hasn't come to its end. "Nothing has felt right, since before we came here. I don't trust that we're not being followed, again." He leads the party onward, continuing to periodically check the various alleys and walkways for a tail, before ducking into an alley, several blocks past the well. With his companions gathered in relative seclusion he adds, "Best to be cautious. I'm tired of being surprised. Let's go back this way, just to be safe."

    Taking a different road, he leads them back to the well, eager to find some answers.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    First, I suppose bluff might be in order to fool a prospective tail:
    (1d20+7)[18] bluff
    Then, as per the usual, hoping to find nothing, I guess:
    (1d20+12)[18] perception.

    Then, assuming we have no conflict and return to the well without incident, perception to inspect for traps, and disable device to do away with any:
    (1d20+12)[16] perception
    (1d20+8)[24] disable device. Calathon is more capable, with a +10, but I forget whether he's traveling with us or not.

    Assuming we successfully bypass the chain and lock, Turi will cautiously descend.
    (1d20+15)[18] stealth
    (1d20+12)[19] perception
    If it's applicable, use a rope and climb:
    (1d20+4)[14] hopefully the DC is low enough this roll doesn't matter.

    Edit: I have no answer for seeing in darkness. If this is a factor, we'll have to discuss how to proceed.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi brings his extensive experience as a junior street criminal to bear, and comes back satisfied that no one is tailing the group - at least, unless the follower's ability to hide far exceeds the young Wati native's own prowess in such things.

    The rusty lock is no match for his tools, and the heavy grate can be shoved aside without too much fuss and noise. Beyond, a deep shaft plunges into the earth, iron rungs allowing descent into the darkness. A gesture from Vershab conjures up four sparkling globes of light, and, thus equipped the group climbs down. And down. And down... The well seems to be incredibly deep.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti eyes the deep, dark well with naked distrust. After a few long seconds, she shrugs, and nonchalantly says "Well, nothing for it." Swinging one leg awkwardly over the well's rim, the paladin rests her foot on one iron rung, pushing it gingerly with her heel to test its surety, and begins her steady descent. "Azkin, to the rear if you would..." Her young protege nods, stepping aside and gesturing the remainder of the company to the fore.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As the rest of the party files into the well, taking to the rungs one by one, Turi turns to his younger brother. "You go. I'd rather climb in the dimness, where it's easier to hide." At the youngster's dubious look- after all, Lehasti told him to take the rear, he snickers. "What, you think I'm gonna stab you? Or let someone else do it?" With a playful shove, the older urchin watches his brother begin to descend. Pausing to give one last look to his surroundings, Turi steps onto the first rung. Still suspicious of the night, he pockets the rusty lock and pulls the grate back into position over the well's lid.

    At least they'll have to look closely to notice it's been moved....

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The descent feels interminable. One step down the rung, another, and another... After long minutes climbing down, the companions finally reach the bottom of the shaft. Turi estimates that the depth is at least four or five hundred feet! Not a glimpse of light comes from the sky so far above, and Vershab suspects that even during daytime, darkness must be near complete. The well ends in a circular room wider than the shaft, its floor littered with the debris of small objects that must have fallen all the way down, over the years. It is immediately apparent that no one has set foot in this place in years.

    To the side, a double bronze door stands, decorated with a large engraving of a human face. It is highly symmetrical, with the exception that the half-face on the door to the left is notably darker than the right half.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-04-16 at 10:17 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi eyes the facade dubiously. "Does this mean anything to you, Vershab?" he utters quietly, shattering the silence. He cringes with an almost fearful expression as the quiet words reverberate in the depths.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab readily identifies a symbol of Nethys, and with his magically enhanced sight, notices the faint glow of abjuration magic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •