The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 283
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab breaks his long silence with few words, saying, "Nethys. It is protected with magic. One moment, please..." He then spends several long moments attempting to analyze the abjuration effects on the portal before reporting his findings to the party.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+15)[17] vs DC (15 + spell level, or 15 + 1/2 caster level for a nonspell effect)
    Additional checks, if necessary: (1d20+15)[35], (1d20+15)[22], (1d20+15)[21]

    If the spells are harmful and can reasonably be Dispelled, Vershab will announce as much and offer to remove them.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti stands tersely as Vershap analyzes the situation, reaching up over her shoulder toward the hilt of her flaming sword.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Haven't rolled the puzzle sword for today: (1d20+1)[16]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab is unable to figure out the precise nature of the spell, but it clearly is a ward of some kind.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab shakes his head. "The magic wards the door, but that is not a surprise. It may simply alert someone to the door opening, or it could be a trap. Let me point out the lines of magic to you, Turi - some enterprising trapfinders have been known to be able to disable even magical traps, despite lacking any formal training in the Arts..." he says, quietly, before beginning to point and gesture at the various flows of dweomer.

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi's eyes widen at the suggestion, but he looks back to the arcanist with a respectful expression. He follows Vershab's indication, and puts his tools to work.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Disable Device: (1d20+8)[17]

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Guided by Vershab's tracing of the magical lines, Turi tries to makes sense of the patterns. Maybe by pressing here... or here... He makes several moves of his deft hands, but something feels off. At that moment, a cloud of greenish, acrid, pungent gas expands, hissing out of the giant face's nose! In instants, it fills up the bottom of the well. Their skin, eyes and lungs burned by the caustic vapors, the companions fall back. That's when they notice the gas is so thick that it slow down movement, hampering their retreat.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, even counting Vershab's guidance as a successful aid another, Turi's result is still a large enough miss to trigger the trap.

    Acid damage (2d6)[9]. All movement in the cloud is done at 1/2 speed, and it obscures vision beyond 5 ft.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-05-15 at 09:14 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "This acid will keep burning until the cloud clears! I will try to dispel it, but get out if you can!" Vershab says as he begins the gestures to cast Dispel Magic.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cast Dispel Magic - (1d20+7)[26] caster level check vs DC 17 (Acid Fog is sixth level, DC = 11+spell level)

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Concentration Check
    Show
    (1d20+12)[15] vs DC 17 or lose the spell

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi wastes no time following the arcanist's advice. He thrusts the pick back into his pocket with a quiet curse of its worthlessness and lays hands to the rungs, quickly ascending to make space for his companions following behind.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mechanically, accelerated climbing. I'm assuming the DC is less than 0 (a knotted rope with a wall to brace), so my +4 mod should still be a guaranteed success at -5.


    Several paces after he feels the acid stop assaulting his lungs, he turns to look over a shoulder. "Come on! Get out of it! he calls down, usefully.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The companions scramble to get out of the deadly vapors. The heavy, sticky nature of the cloud weighs on their every move, and it takes each of them a few precious instants to find the iron rungs as the acid burns their eyes and chokes their breathing. Then begins a half-blind, mad climb through a fog that feels a thick as mud, but a lot more toxic, until they safely reach high enough to be outside the deadly zone.

    A minute or two later, the cloud slowly dissipates, leaving them worse for the wear but free to continue their exploration.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception checks to determine how fast each team member reaches the rungs, then Climb check to determine how fast they climb up.
    DC is 15, success means the task is done in 1 round, failure = 2 rounds if missed by less than 5, 3 rounds if missed by 5 or more.

    Vershab Perception (1d20+18)[36] Climb (1d20-1)[1]
    Turi Perception (1d20+12)[13] Climb (1d20+4)[24]
    Lehasti Perception (1d20+5)[23] Climb (1d20+3)[17]
    Azkin Perception (1d20+8)[9] Climb (1d20+1)[17]

    Characters take acid damage according to how many rounds total it takes them to get out:
    2 rounds (4d6)[16]
    3rd round, add (2d6)[7]
    4th round, add (2d6)[7]
    5th round, add (2d6)[10]
    6th round, add (2d6)[3]

    (I'm going to leave Calathon benched for the time being, unless someone wishes to play him).

    Outcome:

    Vershab: 4 rounds total, 30 damage
    Turi: 3 rounds total, 23 damage
    Lehasti: 2 rounds total, 16 damage
    Azkin: 3 rounds total, 23 damage

    Adding the 9 to everybody for the time the trap sprung, that's serious damage. Enough to kill a low level intruder, but not you guys.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-05-20 at 09:47 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Ow...I am sorry, everyone - that was at least partially my fault. Shall we settle down, heal, and see if the trap reset itself?" Vershab asks, as he begins to climb down from his point nearest the bottom of the ladder. He gets to the floor again and casts Detect Magic again, scanning the area for the magical trap's arcane signature...

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Gingerly, Vershab climbs back down to examine the giant face again. Ignoring the lingering acrid smell, he concentrates to detect traces of magic, and can't find any. It appears the trap was a one-off spell.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "The trap's magic has dissipated - after we are healed we should be able to continue safely," Vershab reports before waiting patiently for the party to decide how to proceed with the healing.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    We never seem to have gotten enough to manage a wand of Cure Light Wounds - shall we use channeling positive energy?
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-05-22 at 12:24 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti turns toward Vershab from helping the sputtering Azkin up the last few rings of the ladder, the worry for her young student lessening as she notes the entirety of the party in comparative safety. "I suppose you are allowed a single mistake per day, my friend," she says in a tone that somewhat effectually masks her concern for the party and irritation at the unexpected hazard of the trap behind a layer of humor. "Azkin, if you would...?" she gestures toward the young cleric, who continues to breathe heavily from pain and exertion.

    After a few deliberate breaths to steady himself, Azkin inclines his head and opens the palm of his free hand upward prayerfully; a burst of energy that somehow feels like light washes over the party, and their pain and fatigue ease.

    Spoiler: Channeled energy
    Show
    Placeholder for OOC rolls


    "Now, then... let us continue." Lehasti strides toward the ladder.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Having tended to their burns, the companions valiantly continue their exploration. The door with the giant face, once the trap is no longer there, opens to the push, without too much effort. It allows access to an interestingly shaped, cruciform chamber, one of its branches being the corridor they enter into. It is a steep climb up over the fairly smooth floor, and in fact quite an exertion to get to the elevated center. There, a heap of skeletons, motionless, topped with a crocodile skull, sits in the intersection. Three other corridors slope down, away from the center in a symmetric, cross-shaped pattern, each ending at a wall with a large, carved stone face - one frightened, one sad, and one angry. Tablets, statues, icons, and carvings cram the corridors' walls on either side.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm having trouble with my image hosting solution right now, so you don't get a picture yet. Basically the place is cross-shaped, you enter at one end, all 4 branches have a steeep slope down from the center.At the center (which is also the highest position).

    Acrobatics DC10 every round to move at 1/2 speed, hitting DC15 allows full speed movement.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi hacks phlegm from his irritated throat as he carefully climbs down at Vershab's heels. "Don't much like trying to take down traps I can't see," he grumbles. "Maybe next time, you guys can at least back up? No sense in killing everyone, when it could just be me!" With a tone that reveals no hint of whether his words are intended in jest, he steps through the doorway.

    Spoiler: Skillz
    Show
    (1d20+12)[26]


    Taking to the slope, he climbs fairly easily, and stops just short of the crest, with an expression of confusion. "Uhhh... Crocodile skulls mean anything to you all? Other than Sebti?" Glancing past, he notes the emotive visages and gestures towards them. "and I can't tell what this guy thinks about our intrusion, but I'm pretty sure he's not happy about it."

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab looks at his healed acid-burns and winces as the skin remains red and dry. "If we can spare it, I would appreciate additional healing. I would not survive a second experience like that without significantly better luck," he says with a grimace.

    Spoiler: Vershab's HPs
    Show
    Vershab is at 35/51 HPs currently. He took 39 damage over the course of that trap...

    Looking into the room ahead, the arcanist immediately scans for magic auras while gripping one of his scrolls loosely in his hands where it would be ready to use. "Interesting...where have I seen something like this before...?"

    Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    Acrobatics (1d20+1)[18] and Knowledge (Religion?) (1d20+18)[32] for a clue...

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti retrieves her wand from her pack and proceeds to apply its healing energies to Vershab.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    CLW: (1d8+1)[3]


    Giving Turi somewhat more space, the paladin and her protege follow him back down the ladder, and into the chamber that follows. Lehasti eyes the slope to the center with apprehension before noting the heap of skeletons with a dark look of suspicion. She and Azkin eye the macabre sight and its reptilian crown appraisingly.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Vershab probably has it, but:
    Lehasti's Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+4)[19]
    Azkin's Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+5)[19]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    To Turi and Lehasti, this looks like nothing more threatening than a pile of old bones haphazardly arranged, the only odd feature being the crocodile skull atop the stack of humanoid remains. Vershab's mind, however, remembers that schools of magic other than necromancy can also find uses for dead bodies... This is not an undead, but a golem, made of bones. It radiates strong magic, but the bones remain inert on the floor, even when the young mage comes up to examine them closely.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Vershab knows that this is a bone golem, a construct that is impervious to most magic. Healing magic has the effect of making it slow momentarily.

    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-06-02 at 01:11 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "This may be the most fearsome individual threat we have ever faced," Vershab says solemnly. "Bone golems, such as this, are highly magic resistant - virtually immune - and reinforced against most attacks. I can provide beneficial magic to all of you and conjure some magical effects that will effect the golem, but I am entirely unable to influence it directly. On the other hand, Azkin could invoke the healing magic of his deity to effectively slow it, with a touch. We should strongly consider attacking and destroying it before it attacks us..."

    Vershab then steps to the back and opens his spellbook, refreshing his prepared spells to better combat the threat.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Going to use several Arcane Reservoir points to apply "Quick Study" and prepare the following spells:

    2nd level - Acid Arrow (instead of Glitterdust)
    3rd level - Summon Magic III (instead of Dispel Magic)

    "I will hasten everyone's movements, enlarge Lehasti to the same size as the golem, summon an extra-planar ally to flank it, and then try to conjure grease underneath it. After that I may be able to do some damage with conjured acid, but it will be best if you all have largely destroyed it by then. Shall we begin?"
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-06-11 at 11:12 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The bone heap doesn't move, leaving the companions free to strike at leisure.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Should you decide to attack, all of you get a surprise round. Then I'll roll to determine what happens next.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi lets out a short bark of a laugh. He turns back to Vershab- and with the aid of his expression, quickly recalls the arcanist's complete inability to understand, much less produce, humorous banter. "I- you're- uh... That is to say, you're telling me this thing is more dangerous than a mummy and a whole slew of cultists, and you want us to piss 'im off?" He laughs again, this time less humorously, and more sarcastically. "That's cra- how much did you have to drink?"

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti's expression of suspicion intensifies at Vershab's description. "Better to face the threat prepared than to find it at our backs, Turi. We do not know what contingency might rouse it, and if Vershab considers it to be that great a danger, I am inclined to trust his judgment." The paladin nods gravely toward Azkin, who intones a short prayer to their shared deity; the party feels a warmth wash over it despite the cool of the underground passage and its earth and stone walls.

    Meanwhile, the paladin draws her flaming sword and closes her eyes for a moment; the flaming falchion's tongues burst into greater light, and the curved edge glimmers despite the comparative absence of sources of light nearby. Murmuring her own intoned prayers, the paladin's visible skin seems to toughen, taking on a metallic sheen.

    With her falchion at the ready, Lehasti nods toward Vershab. "Shall we?"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Azkin casts Bless, 5 minute duration.
    Lehasti Activates her Divine Bond to grant her weapon the Keen quality, 7 minute duration (minus 2 rounds)
    Lehasti casts Ironskin, 7 minute duration (minus 1 round)
    Lehasti casts Divine Favor, 1 minute duration

    Puzzle Falchion roll: (1d20+1)[16]

    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Spoiler: Lehasti
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 83/85, Speed 20
    AC 23, Touch 11, Flat-footed 22, CMD 23, Fort 12, Ref 7, Will 8, CMB +14, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +13 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, +5 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Divine Bond: Keen to weapon, 68 rds
    Ironskin: +4 natural armor, 69 rds
    Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 50 rds
    Divine Favor: +1 luck to atk/dmg, 10 rds
    Spoiler: Azkin
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 40/49, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 17, Fort 8, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 50 rds
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-06-11 at 02:48 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "To be clear, I consider this the most dangerous enemy individually that we have encountered, not necessarily in the totality of the circumstances. Part of my assessment lies in its significant resistance to my own powers as well, but I digress..." Vershab says as he prepares to cast his spells. He moves to the rear of the party, by the door to the chamber, and attempts to time his spells for maximum effect...

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    First, Vershab casts Enlarge Person on Lehasti (changing his stats significantly - I would encourage you to update them, JWallyR). This lasts seven minutes. Vershab then uses his wand of Shield on himself, lasting one minute. He then follows with Grease under the squares of the golem before the surprise round (also a 7-minute duration). During the surprise round he will caste Haste on the party (for seven rounds).

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 35/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours), Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs
    Bless (+1 morale on attacks and saves, not included in stats)
    Shield (+4 AC, INCLUDED IN STATS, 1 minute)
    Haste (7 rounds, beginning at the start of combat)

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The youngster looks back and for between the paladin and arcanist, looking for all the world like he's the butt of a joke he doesn't get and doesn't like. Blinking repeatedly, he tries in vain to make sense of Vershab's words, but cannot deny his sincerity when Lehasti suddenly springs to twice her normal height. "Oh boy. Oh boy, oh boy," he mutters as his begins fishing through his pockets. He pulls out a fat-looking leather bag, tied with a greasy cord as one of his blades all-but appears in his other hand. He moves his hand up and down to get a feel for the bag's heft, and takes a step or two around, putting the oddly-shaped pile between himself and Lehasti. "Uhh, say when?"

    Spoiler: Turi, surprise round
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 4 (Knife master), Level 5, Init +5, HP 54/54, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 14, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 9, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor (+5 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural, +*1* Misc)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (21) vs attack with light blades
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 2/2 (CL 4)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist

    (1d20+10)[27] tanglefoot bag. Up to (2d4)[7] rounds of effect.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Magic fills the air a the group prepares for a tough battle, but the heap of bones remains immobile on the floor - that is, until Vershab's spell covers the floor underneath it with a large patch of a slippery, greenish substance. At that instant the bones animate, fly in the air, and assemble in a twirl of ancient dust until a vaguely humanoid-shaped being stands in front to Vershab. As it attempts to strike, however, it slips, falls, and slides all the way down the steep slope to the end of the corridor. Turi throws his leather bag at it. The bag opens on contact, showering the bones in a goo that instantly hardens, restricting the golem's motions.

    Spoiler: Preparation, surprise round, beginning of round 1
    Show
    The golem reacts to the Grease spell, so the time this spell is cast becomes the surprise round. Everybody was able to cast their planned spells, with the exception of Haste.

    Reflex DC16 (1d20+3)[12]

    Initiative
    Golem (1d20+6)[11]
    Azkin (1d20+2)[12]
    Lehasti (1d20+1)[5]
    Turi (1d20+5)[11]
    Vershab (1d20+12)[14]

    EDIT

    Reminding myself about group initiative: Those who beat the enemy's initiative (that's only Vershab in this case) get a round 0, then round 1 begins with the enemy action, then the PCs can act in round 1 in any order.

    Actions during the surprise round:
    Vershab casts Grease
    Turi throws the tanglefoot bag and hits
    Azkin and Lehasti can take a standard action if they wish to

    Round 0: Vershab casts Haste.

    Round 1: The golem rises and falls prone at the lower, far end of the corridor.
    Then, group's actions in any order.


    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-06-17 at 06:32 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    When the construct suddenly begins moving, Turi doesn't wait for the call. He nods with no small satisfaction as the gooey bag bursts, leaving tendrils of sap-like ichor all over their bony foe. Careful to mind his footing, he steps forward and down a bit of the ramp to the left. Both knives held ready, he closes his eyes to focus and disappears from view.

    Spoiler: Turi, round 1
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 73/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 9, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 1/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge
    Invisible, 5 rounds

    Move 2 right, 1 up. Can't fail acrobatics with a +12 modifier, and more than plenty of time to move at half speed.
    Standard action to use 1 of my 2 vanish SLAs. Invisible for 4 rounds.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 1
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 35/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours), Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs
    Bless (+1 morale on attacks and saves, not included in stats)
    Shield (+4 AC, INCLUDED IN STATS, 9 rounds)
    Haste (6 rounds, not included in stats)

    "With my spell hastening your actions, you should still be able to reach and attach the golem now - go quickly!" says Vershab with only a hint of excitement in his voice. "I am dismissing the grease so as not to trip any of you up."

    He then tries to step around the corner carefully to get out of the way of his allies but struggles with the difficult terrain...

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard action to dismiss Grease.
    Acrobatics DC 10 (1d20+1)[2] (Failure)
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-06-19 at 08:22 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The enlarged Lehasti winds up for a titanic sweep of her blade, timed to coincide with Vershab's casting of Grease. As the latter's spell takes effect, the paladin purses her lips in distinct annoyance, but with a nod to Azkin attempts to creep up the slope to position herself opposite the direction taken by Turi, adopting a ready posture; the young cleric advances warily, longspear readied against a reappearance of the golem.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Surprise round action: Power Attack!

    Attack: (1d20+15)[27]
    CC: (1d20+15)[20] for x2 on 30+
    Damage: (2d4+15)[18] slashing damage plus (1d6)[6] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+15)[19] slashing damage

    Azkin readies an attack during the surprise round? But he's not close enough so w/e

    Round 1 actions:
    Azkin: Activate Touch of Good on Lehasti for +2 atk/skill/ability checks/saves for one round, then move forward 2 squares.
    Spoiler: Azkin's AoO, if applicable
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    CC: (1d20+7)[18] for x3 on 27
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6] piercing
    Crit damage: (2d8+6)[11] piercing


    Lehasti:
    Acrobatics check at +0 to move at half speed: (1d20)[6]
    If successful, move up the ledge, and down to the branch opposite Turi. (By my math a single Hasted move action at half speed will allow this; otherwise move as much as is possible) and ready an attack.

    Spoiler: Lehasti's readied attack
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+17)[32]
    CC: (1d20+17)[35] for x2 on 30+
    Damage: (2d4+15)[23] slashing damage plus (1d6)[5] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+15)[18] slashing damage

    Spoiler: Lehasti's AoO, if applicable
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+17)[37]
    CC: (1d20+17)[37] for x2 on 30+
    Damage: (2d4+15)[20] slashing damage plus (1d6)[5] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+15)[21] slashing damage


    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Spoiler: Lehasti
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 83/85, Speed 40
    AC 23, Touch 11, Flat-footed 21, CMD 26, Fort 14, Ref 10, Will 10, CMB +19, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +13 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Falchion is Flaming (1d6 fire damage) today.
    Enlarge Person: Large size, +2 Str, -2 Dex, 68 rds
    Ironskin: +4 natural armor, 68 rds
    Divine Bond: Keen to weapon, 67 rds
    Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 49 rds
    Divine Favor: +1 luck to atk/dmg, 9 rds
    Haste: +20 ft mvmt, +1 atk, +1 dodge AC/Reflex, xtra atk, 6 rds remaining
    Touch of Good: +2 atk/skill/ability check/saves, 0 rds remaining
    Spoiler: Azkin's stats
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 40/49, Speed 60
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 8, Ref 6, Will 9, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 49 rds
    Haste: +30 ft mvmt, +1 atk, +1 dodge AC/Reflex, xtra atk, 6 rds remaining
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As the golem falls, Lehasti's falchion swing catches the side of its head, such as it is. It is only ther sheer weight of the blade that crushes some bones, but this still is a significant blow. Unfortunately, the servant of Sarenrae is unable to keep her footing as she tries to get up the corridor, and slides down towards the door, to land on her enormously enlarged bottom. Azkin narrowly escapes being crushed by his mentor. Soon enough, the paladin is followed by Vershab, landing on her as he falls as well. The arcanist makes an arcane gesture from where he lies, causing the grease to disappear... Soon after, Turi also vanishes from view.

    From the far end, some noises can be heard, but only Turi has a chance to see what's going on.

    Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    The Grease disappears. Turi vanishes. Lehasti and Vershab are both prone.

    The golem tries to break free (1d20+4)[12]


    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-07-15 at 07:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •