The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 285
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 2
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 35/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours), Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs
    Prone
    Bless (+1 morale on attacks and saves, not included in stats)
    Shield (+4 AC, INCLUDED IN STATS, 9 rounds)
    Haste (6 rounds, not included in stats)

    "All right - let's get some aerial assistance," mutters Vershab as he begins casting a spell from his position, prone on the floor.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Full round action to cast Summon Monster III. I'm planning to summon a (Celestial) Dire Bat unless someone has a better idea.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Though neither ally nor for can see it, Turiís Face scrunches into a scowl when the golem goes scuttling down the steep ramp away from him. Peering around the corner, he eyes up the struggling construct, ultimately deciding that patience is the wiser course. Though he feels the magic urging his body to greater feats of speed and strength, he wills himself to stillness. Much like the crouching cat, he waits for his prey to arrive.

    Spoiler: Turi, round 2
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 73/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 9, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 1/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge
    Invisible, 4 rounds

    Ready an action to shank if the golem approaches a flammable position, regardless of whether the initial attack is actually flanking.
    (1d20+12)[21] kukri attack (vs flat-footed because vanish)
    (1d20+12)[13] CC (30-32, x2)
    (1d4+6)[8] base damage
    (1d4+6)[7] crit bonus
    (3d8)[12] sneak stab (because vanish)

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Azkin disentangles himself from his fallen, hulking giant of a mentor. "Sarenrae, grant her the blessing of your dawn!" He touches her shoulder, and Lehasti instantly feels buoyed by the goddess' support. She stands up and moves back uphill in the corridor, stepping over Vershab as the young mage, lying down, utters his incantation. As she arrives at the top of the slope, she sees the bone golem break free and stand up. It turns to her, still covered in Turi's gooey paste.

    Spoiler: round 3
    Show
    Azkin uses Touch of Good, +2 to attacks, saves and checks for 1 round.
    Lehasti stands up and tries not to fall, Acrobatics (1d20+2)[22] - success!
    Vershab's summon will end next round, and Turi waits.
    The golem tries to break free (1d20+4)[22] it succeeds and can move, but is still entangled.



    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-07-15 at 08:12 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 3
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 35/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours), Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs
    Prone
    Bless (+1 morale on attacks and saves, not included in stats)
    Shield (+4 AC, INCLUDED IN STATS, 8 rounds)
    Haste (5 rounds, not included in stats)

    Without flash of light or sound a large, strangely handsome, bat appears in the air between the prone arcanist and where the golem fell. Speaking in the lilting tongue of good outsiders, Vershab cries,

    Spoiler: Celestial
    Show
    "Attack the bone golem! Get around it and flank with my allies!"

    Then he tries to stand again to get a better view of combat...

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Finish casting Summon Monster III to summon a (Celestial) Dire Bat. The bat will fly in to attack the golem before trying to fly around so that it can follow it as the automaton attacks the party.

    Vershab tries to stand, using two move actions if necessary...Acrobatics DC 10 (1d20+1)[10], (1d20+1)[13]

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi dances in place, hopping from one foot to the other and back repeatedly, anxious to enter the fray, proper. He groans silently when the creature breaks free of his tanglefoot bag, but writes off the loss as a necessary inconvenience. "Bring him back," he mutters under his breath, waiting for Lehasti to engage the monstrosity in earnest.

    Spoiler: Turi, round 3
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 73/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 9, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 1/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge
    Invisible, 3 rounds

    Still waiting. Hopefully next round, Turi can move into position to flank.

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Grimacing in general annoyance, her hair disheveled from the fall and subsequent recovery, Lehasti glares her ire at the construct. "Azkin... if you would?" she growls through gritted teeth without looking at the priest.

    Azkin reaches one hand, resting it on the paladin's calf (roughly at his eye level, due to the terrain and her enlarged state). With a silent prayer, light seems to pulse into the warrior woman, who explodes into action, her blade lashing out toward the construct much faster than her increased stature would seem to allow, in a series of savage strikes!

    Spoiler: Stats/Actions
    Show
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Spoiler: Lehasti
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 83/85, Speed 40
    AC 23, Touch 11, Flat-footed 21, CMD 26, Fort 14, Ref 10, Will 10, CMB +19, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +13 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Falchion is Flaming (1d6 fire damage) today.
    Enlarge Person: Large size, +2 Str, -2 Dex, 66 rds
    Ironskin: +4 natural armor, 66 rds
    Divine Bond: Keen to weapon, 65 rds
    Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 47 rds
    Divine Favor: +1 luck to atk/dmg, 7 rds
    Haste: +20 ft mvmt, +1 atk, +1 dodge AC/Reflex, xtra atk, 4 rds remaining
    Touch of Good: +2 atk/skill/ability check/saves, 0 rds remaining
    Spoiler: Azkin
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 40/49, Speed 60
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 8, Ref 6, Will 9, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 47 rds
    Haste: +30 ft mvmt, +1 atk, +1 dodge AC/Reflex, xtra atk, 4 rds remaining


    Azkin uses Touch of Good on Lehasti, taking a move action if necessary to touch her.

    Lehasti uses a Full-Round attack (including the extra attack from Haste) with Power Attack active for -2 atk but +4 (x1.5) damage:

    Hasted Attack: (1d20+17)[34]
    CC: (1d20+17)[23] for x2 on 32+
    Damage: (2d4+17)[24] slashing plus (1d6)[4] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+17)[22] slashing

    Attack 1: (1d20+17)[23]
    CC: (1d20+17)[36] for x2 on 32+
    Damage: (2d4+17)[24] slashing plus (1d6)[3] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+17)[22] slashing

    Attack 2: (1d20+12)[15]
    CC: (1d20+12)[26] for x2 on 27+
    Damage: (2d4+17)[24] slashing plus (1d6)[1] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+17)[23] slashing

    Spoiler: AOO
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+17)[33]
    CC: (1d20+17)[19] for x2 on 32+
    Damage: (2d4+17)[19] slashing plus (1d6)[2] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+17)[20] slashing


    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti's enormous falchion strikes the golem again and again. Bones fly everywhere, and for an instant it looks like this might be enough to down this unexpected foe, but the bones are surprisingly strong, and when the dust settles, a somewhat diminished pile of bones is still standing. Unable to get a good angle of attack, Turi bites his tongue, but his frustration turns to amazement when he sees a bone detach from the golem's body and fly at Lehasti: Right in the air, the bone splits in two full-size bones, which split into four, then eight, then more! The bones fly around and assemble to form a large cage around the paladin. Azkin tries to climb the steep slope to reach his mentor, but stumbles and falls.

    Then, flying above it all, the giant bat invoked by Vershab comes at the golem, dodging a bony punch to its wing as it dives for the attack. It bites, and spits out a small bone that clatters to the ground.

    Spoiler: Round 4
    Show
    Azkin - acrobatics to get in contact with Lehasti (1d20)[5]. Regardless of that result, Lehasti's rolls are good enough for one hit and one confirmed critical even without Touch of Good.

    Golem AoO on the dire bat (1d20+10)[11] damage (2d6+4)[9] cc(30) (1d20+10)[30] extra damage (2d6+4)[13] - got that wrong, it was +12, but the natural 1 makes this moot.

    Dire bat (1d20+5)[21] damage (1d8+4)[9] cc(30) (1d20+5)[11] extra damage (1d8+4)[6] - hit - some of this goes through the golem's DR for a bit of damage.

    Golem ranged touch attack, Bone Prison on Lehasti (rolled 25 in OOC). Lehasti is stuck in the cage and grappled.



    I didn't picture the bat. It's in the same squares as the golem, hovering above it.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-07-30 at 06:15 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 4
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 35/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours), Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs
    Bless (+1 morale on attacks and saves, not included in stats)
    Shield (+4 AC, INCLUDED IN STATS, 7 rounds)
    Haste (4 rounds, not included in stats)
    Summoned Celestial Dire Bat Round 6/7

    Standing carefully, with one hand against the wall for balance, Vershab sees the bone prison form around Lehasti and grunts in annoyance. "Hmmmph! I'm not actually sure it would help, but in several moments I can try to dispel this effect, Lehasti. Can you break it instead? I suggest a mace to try and smash it...

    While you decide, I will try to do some damage to the golem itself...
    " Without further preamble, the robed arcanist summons a streaking shot of acid, hurling it at the golem.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cast Acid Arrow at the Golem: Ranged Touch (1d20+4)[20] to hit Touch AC, (1d20+4)[5] (20/x2), (2d4)[8] acid damage (ignores spell resistance/immunity due to being actual acid conjured), (2d4)[4] critical strike damage. Note: if hit, the acid will deal damage for two more turns at the same rate of 2d4.

    The Dire Bat will attack again, trying to be a distraction and allow Turi a chance to attack - can the Rogue get flanking bonuses if the bat is attacking from above and behind the golem?

    Dire Bat attack: (1d20+5)[15] (not counting flanking), (1d20+5)[15] (20/x2), (1d8+4)[7] damage, (1d8+4)[5] critical strike damage
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-07-29 at 07:57 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Turi, round 4
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 73/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 9, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    sneak stab: 3d8/3d4
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 1/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge
    Invisible, 2 rounds

    If the summoned bat is able to provide flanking bonuses to Turi (and he can tell), he will approach and attack. If not, he will wait.

    He can't fail the acrobatics to move on the slope.

    (1d20+13)[27] kukri (vs flat-footed)
    (1d20+13)[33] CC (31+, x2)
    (1d4+6)[8] damage
    (1d4+6)[7] crit bonus
    (3d8)[11] sneak stab- using the bewildered effect of debilitating attack to reduce it's AC by 2 (4 for Turi's attacks next round)

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti snarls out a wordless response to Vershab's suggestion, and the enlarged paladin begins to batter at the bony cage, both with the hilt of her enlarged falchion and the spiked gauntlet on her other hand.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Combat Maneuver check to break grapple?(1d20+17)[28]

    She doesn't want to move, so I guess that's it?

    An AoO:
    Attack: (1d20+15)[32] (with Power Attack)
    CC: (1d20+15)[30] for x2 on 30+
    Damage: (2d6+17)[22] slashing plus (1d6)[6] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d6+17)[22] slashing damage

    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 83/85, Speed 40
    AC 23, Touch 11, Flat-footed 21, CMD 26, Fort 12, Ref 8, Will 8, CMB +17, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +13 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, -1 Size, +5 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Falchion is Flaming (1d6 fire damage) today.
    Enlarge Person: Large size, +2 Str, -2 Dex, 66 rds
    Ironskin: +4 natural armor, 66 rds
    Divine Bond: Keen to weapon, 65 rds
    Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 46 rds
    Divine Favor: +1 luck to atk/dmg, 6 rds
    Haste: +20 ft mvmt, +1 atk, +1 dodge AC/Reflex, xtra atk, 3 rds remaining


    Meanwhile, Azkin tries once again to make his way up the slanted surface to reach and aid his mistress.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Acrobatics check: (1d20)[14]

    If successful, he will reach adjacent with Lehasti and apply Touch of Good.

    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 40/49, Speed 60
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 8, Ref 6, Will 9, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Bless: +1 morale to atk/saves vs fear, 46 rds
    Haste: +30 ft mvmt, +1 atk, +1 dodge AC/Reflex, xtra atk, 3 rds remaining
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab's yellow-green projectile arcs over the cage, to hit the golem's midsection. Hissing acid immediately starts to eat into the bony structure. Lehasti gives a mighty shake a the cage, and several bars fall off, allowing her to escape. Meanwhile, the bat's attacks are mostly ineffectual, but they provide an opening for Turi to sneak by and strike a vulnerable articulation. His kukri hits true: The golem collapses. Odds and ends of various skeletons are all that remains, littering the floor.

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    With a glance upwards to the summoned bat ally, Vershab says, "Thank you, friend. Go in peace." Then he carefully makes his way over to the remains of the golem, intent on studying the construct. "I have never seen one of these in person...such a fascinating discovery..." After taking anything interesting (as well as several small pieces of bone) for further study he turns to his allies and waits patiently for them to recover and begin searching for any additional threats in the room. From the center of the room he gazes fixedly at the faces on each end of the cross-shaped room, wracking his brain for any indication of what they could mean.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Search (Perception) (1d20)[19]
    Knowledge (Religion?) (1d20)[13] (I am unsure of Vershab's modifiers right now and cannot access my character sheet from work - will update when I can)

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "I-" For a long moment, Turi is dumbstruck. He seems to not believe what he's seen, and almost frantically scans the room looking for another threatening figure to plunge his knives into. Instead, he sees only the hulking form of Lehasti, until Vershab begins pushing past her. The arcanist's ever-awkward fascination with things that want them dead stirs the youngster from his momentary revery.

    "You said this thing was gonna be tough!" he demands, indignantly. Almost pouting, he sheathes his blades, and begins to inspect the faces. "Other than apparently having very different faces, does anyone notice anything useful about all this?" His hands wander the frescoes gently, searching for some sort of hidden switch or trap sensor.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Given long enough, Turi would like to search all three new faces for traps. Let's go clockwise: (3d20)[17][18][2](37) (+12 for perception, 8 for DD, if applicable.

    Edit: that's 29 for Angry
    30 for sad
    and 14 for scared

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Looking at the faces on the walls, Vershab concludes they don't have any hidden symbolism of a religious or arcane nature. They're just straightforward representations of the depicted feelings. Maybe this is intended to portray the lore-keepers' reactions at the idea that intruders would come in and steal their secrets?

    Turi comes to examine all three faces closely, and finds a number of interesting mechanisms. The three faces are carved over three identical, perfectly round, 3-feet diameter stone disks:
    - The disk with the sad face can pivot over a vertical axis. However, doing so will likely trigger a trap that is magical in nature.
    - The disk with the scared face can pivot over a horizontal axis and is likewise trapped.
    - The third face, on a closer look, seems to be disgusted, more so than angry. It can slide to the right, and doesn't appear to be trapped.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As Turi inspects the doors for taps and mentions signs of magical traps, Vershab waits until the youth has stepped away before scanning each door with Detect Magic and focusing on any auras he discovers until he has learned all he can.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) x3: (1d20+15)[30], (1d20+15)[22], (1d20+15)[32]

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Vershab finds a faint aura of illusion over the frightened face, and a moderate aura of abjuration and evocation over the sad face. The disgusted face doesn't register as magical.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "This face has an illusion built into its trap," Vershab reports, while standing beside the fearful face. "The aura is faint, so the impact would likely only be dangerous when combined with the golem we have already dispatched..." After carefully walking to the sad face he warns, "On the other hand, the magical trap here is likely to be quite dangerous - the spells woven into it are significantly stronger and include magic that evokes raw energy, probably in an arcane attack of some kind. We should either steer clear of it or be very careful while disabling the trap."

    Once it becomes clear that the path through the disgusted face is clear of magical or mundane traps, the arcanist recommends that way, saying, "Ah! This way will be much easier. I advise we explore here first. Shall we continue?"

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "You said this thing was gonna be tough!"
    Lehasti relaxes with an audible sigh as the golem collapses. "Indeed, a pleasant surprise." The paladin raises one wry eyebrow at the young man before brushing the remnants of the bony cage from about her feet. Azkin cautiously makes his way up and over the slope to inspect his companions for wounds, and, finding none, begins to eye their surroundings with mingled curiosity and suspicion.

    "Other than apparently having very different days, does anyone notice anything useful about all this?" His hands wander the frescoes gently, searching for some sort of hidden switch or trap sensor.
    "'Useful'? Not for my purposes. The sooner in our past, the better."

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Ah! This way will be much easier. I advise we explore here first. Shall we continue?"
    "Perhaps you should all stand back, nonetheless." After giving her companions some time to step back, Lehasti advances towards the door and reaches to rotate the apparent handle.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-08-16 at 12:41 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi shrugs. "Fine by me." He crawls up the slope and around the nearest corner. Unsure precisely what to expect, he keeps his attention trained to their rear for the moment.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti has no difficulty sliding the stone disk bearing the disgusted face rightwards as indicated by Turi. This reveals a narrow opening into another dark room. After Vershab allows her to revert to her human size and sends one of his sparkling globes to light the way, the paladin engages into the opening. She discovers a 20-foot square room, its ceiling just as high as the room is wide, and in it, a vast collection of scrolls, clay tablets, and stone carvings, the records neatly stored on shelves and haphazardly scattered across the floor.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Here we go!" exclaims Vershab, pleased to find something that might prove helpful. He quickly scans the room for magic threats before diving into the party's desired research...

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Detect Magic, focusing and trying to learn anything he can about any auras found (+15 modifier on Knowledge (Arcana) checks).

    Knowledge (Nobility) (1d20+9)[19] for the Sky Pharoah, etc...
    Intelligence Check for progress (1d8+5)[7]

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi files in behind Lehasti, relieved to find nothing animate immediately seeking their deaths. "How can I help?" he asks Vershab, before setting himself to the task, retrieving and returning scrolls and various records as directed.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If applicable, Turi will assist with the research. (1d20+4)[20] nobility

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti eyes the neat arrangement of scrolls and tablets on the walls and then those haphazardly strewn about the floor. "This... strikes me as strange. Presumably the keepers of this place think highly of its contents, maybe even as sacred objects... and yet these many are discarded like so much refuse. I wonder if we aren't the first to intrude upon this sanctum..."

    Azkin turns to look questioningly at the paladin, who gestures towards the discarded items, Dutifully, the young priest stoops, supporting himself with one hand on the haft of his spear, and begins to gather the records on the floor and attempting to make some sense of their disposition. Meanwhile, Lehasti looks for any other doorways, crevices, or other routes by which an opponent might unexpectedly appear.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Not sure what sort of action would be appropriate for Azkin trying to figure out if there's some significance to the records that were left on the floor vs. the shelves, assist with the search for useful stuff, etc.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The companions enter the room, and Vershab detects faint magical auras in many places. Mostly, these seem to be protective spells placed on the document centuries ago, meant to protect them from decay. Try as they may, they don't find any pattern to the documents lying on the floor. It's as if someone had been searching through them and got frustrated at the lack of progress, but there's no way to know if this was a recent event or not.

    Vershab then starts his search. His companions attempt to help, but the fact that nearly all documents are written in Ancient Osiriani hyeroglyphs makes this task very tedious.

    Spoiler: research
    Show
    All right, it's been a while. For context over what you're searching for, see post #145. For research rules, see post #20.

    We've left Calathon aside for a while. I could make him reappear now, as he could help. Let me know how you'd like to handle this?

    The Dark Depository's complexity is 20 (DC of the roll) and its Knowledge bonus is +4. It deals with topics that fall under Knowledge(local), (religion) or (arcana) meaning you can pick the skill you'd like to use among these 3. But non-Ancient-Osiriani speakers need to first pass a Linguistics check, which is DC20 is you speak modern Osiriani (I take it it's the case for the whole group). This makes it a hard proposition for folks with a +0 Int modifier:

    Turi (1d20)[1]
    Azkin (1d20)[16]
    Lehasti (1d20)[13]

    With his roll, Vershab's result is 32 when I use the Knowledge(religion) modifier + the library's bonus. This is a success by a margin of 10+, so that's 9 (Vershab's roll of 7, plus 2) knowledge points off the library's total. This is enough to learn the information below.


    Vershab digs deep in the documents, and the hours left in the night aren't nearly enough for him to review the mass of writings stored in this dark undergound place. He finds that the Dark Depository primarily contains knowledge deemed too dangerous for general use. Numerous references to interrogations can be found, including mentions of the Scrolls of Inquiry, recording the confessions of members of the Sacrosanct Order of the Blue Feather, a sect of Nethysians who were questioned immediately after the death and burial of Hakotep I. The fact that the members of the sect were priests and priestesses of Nethys was kept secret, as Nethys was much revered in Ancient Osirion. Hakotepís successor, Djederet II, was a priest of Nethys himself, and he deemed that the potential backlash of such information becoming public could lead to dangerous civil unrest.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-08-21 at 07:17 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "...so Djederet ordered the records purged and the secret kept close with his most personal advisers.

    Unfortunately, that is all we can tell from what we have found. I need more time, my friends. Perhaps we can camp down here tonight so we can begin early and find the rest of the story? What do you all think?
    " asks Vershab, looking to his allies. "If not, we must return tomorrow, and we should try to secure the library in the interim so that we do not risk this research being disturbed."

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi groans quietly. He looks around the floor of the stony chamber, wishing he had brought a cot, or at least a bedroll.

    "I suppose if we have to. How bad will it be to come back tomorrow night? That golem out front isn't going to remake itself, is it?"

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "I cannot guarantee anything - it could be restored or not. I can only confirm that we are onto something here, and I need more time. Leaving risks any number of problems, not the least of which is someone else coming and sabotaging our efforts here...if they didn't already..." responds Vershab without looking up from the scroll in his hands.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti purses her lips at Vershab's suggestion. "On the one hand, this place has clearly been kept safe from at least cursory passers-by. On the other hand... I fear that the illusory spell trap that we triggered may have had effects beyond our current vision, and by staying the night we invite the guardians of this place to pin and trap us. "

    The paladin falls silent, brows furrowed in thought and concern. Azkin fidgets with the haft of his staff before getting up and pacing the borders of the room.

    "I... I think it might be best to retreat to a place that is at least more public, where those who might wish to silence us permanently will have to do so in the public view. We can return on the morrow." She looks at Vershab with an expression that leaves no doubt about her expectation of a response.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Very well. Let's at least do what we can to secure the library and prevent easy entry by an enemy. Turi - can you jury-rig the door and attempt to bar entry? I will review my spells to see if I can assist you in any way..." responds Vershab, placing the scroll carefully back on the table and pulling his spellbook from his pack, reviewing his options carefully...

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Turi could use a Disable Device check to try and jam the door, perhaps taking 20 to ensure a high DC to open it...?

    "Alright, I will cast a spell to alert me if anyone passes this way, but I must be within one mile for it to work. In addition, an abjured door will be harder to bypass, so I can lock it with a spell. I will then open the way to an extraplanar space where we can rest, though there will be a rope visible to anyone who looks for it. Where shall I cast the spell so we may rest?"
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-08-27 at 02:11 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi nods along, grabbing a few stones and preparing to damage the door's hinges. "Wait. I'm not sure it'll be any easier for us to get back in, if I do this. If you think your wards are good enough, we should probably just do that."

    Though it's clear Turi doesn't understand everything Vershab has suggested, he finds the idea of camping in a hidden space perfectly reasonable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •