The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 285
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti looks similarly nonplussed at Vershab's technical verbiage, but after blinking past the confusion she says, "Spells to guard against casual interlopers and to alert us to more... sophisticated efforts should be sufficient for the moment. If those who wish to keep this knowledge secret bring their full efforts to bear, it may be of little use to deny their entry."

    "If we can find another apparently deserted space, perhaps that would be a good place to hide the rope? An alleyway where it blends into the construction nearby?" the paladin shrugs noncommittally.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    It's hard to find a deserted place in the middle of a major city. The best bet would be inside the library, or inside the well. I'm going to assume you settle on either of those.


    Oathday, 30 Abadius

    After a restful, undisturbed night spent in Vershab's small but comfortable extra-dimensional room, the group gets back to the Dark Depository, their minds on research. It appears nobody has come around the place in their absence, and the arcanist's wards are still in place. After dismissing them, he gets back to work.

    Spoiler: research
    Show
    Vershab is the only one with a change to do anything really.
    Knowledge(religion) including library bonus (1d20+22)[27]


    Vershab ends up finding scraps of a personal journal, by a priest of Nethys named Khnenti, who clearly became obsessed with the mystery of the Sky Pharaoh. One extract reads, “The Mask of the Forgotten Pharaoh is said to contain a portion of Hakotep’s soul, his ka, which gives the mask its magical abilities.” The document details the magic abilities of the mask, confirming the information the group uncovered in Wati. Khnenti seems to have set out upon some sort of quest to unravel these mysteries. There is also brief mention of the Sacrosanct Order of the Blue Feather hoping to commune with the Sky Pharaoh to learn his “darkest secrets,” but with ambiguous results.

    Vershab concludes that he's found everything he could in this room.

    Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show
    These are scrolls of animate dead, contagion, ray of exhaustion, and symbol of pain.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-06 at 08:50 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "There is nothing more to be learned in this room," says Vershab as he pockets the magical scrolls. "I will do what I can to help search for more secret chambers, but I think we should start with the trapped passageways where we fought the golem..."

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    I can use Mage Hand to manipulate a lever or other switch to try and trigger a trap from a distance or use Summon Monster III to have the summoned creature suffer the ill effects of any spells attached to the traps. I could also Dispel Magic them from range to mitigate the risks of setting them off. The least use of resources is the Mage Hand cantrip. From there we are talking third level spells... If we had any undead minions to use as meat-shields it would help too.

    If any doors are locked we can let FarmerBink try first, but if it is also (still?) trapped a Knock spell can be cast at range.
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-09-06 at 03:08 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti nods impassively at Vershab. "I suppose the passage with the illusory "trap" may be our next best bet. Aside from harmless images or sound, what sorts of dangers might an illusion pose? Might it warn the caster of our attempt to bypass it?"
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "The aura of illusion was faint, so it is unlikely that it could do much beyond images and sounds. It is possible it could stun or knock someone out - which would be a problem while fighting the golem - but that is most likely the extent of the threat," responds Vershab. "Unless an enemy was close enough to hear sounds from such an illusion it couldn't warn them with illusion magic."

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi shrugs. "To be honest, some of these traps seem... uh, more complicated? I can handle switches and pressure plates, but when magic gets involved..." It's clear, as the youngster's words fade, that he's disappointed with his apparent inability to make sense of the magical traps. For the time being, at least, such things are beyond him.

    "If you can make them go away with your own magic, that would definitely be fore the best." He pauses again, this time more thoughtfully. "And everyone not directly involved should wait in the next room, at least. That poisonous cloud wasn't any fun at all. No sense in getting other people hurt when they don't even need to be here."

    He turns to Lehasti. "Do you want to watch over him while he does his thing, or should I?" Despite the casual tones, it's clear that Turi feels a sense of obligation to be the one risking himself to protect Vershab. Still, he appears willing to submit to Lehasti's relative authority.

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    "Come on - we can try the illusion trap together. If there is not a door on the other side, then we can deal with it when the time comes," Vershab says, walking out of the room and turning toward the fearful face. Once there he casts Detect Magic and begins a (somewhat academic) explanation of the lines of power woven into the enchantment. The value of such discussion may be lost on the young rogue, but the scholar does his best to provide some support for the efforts to disable the trap.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As he touches the faces, Turi clearly see how he can push it to pivot around its axis, and how this will trigger a scythe trap to cut him to pieces. He steels himself to trust Vershab's insight and proceed nevertheless. He's rewarded when nothing happens, and he can pass, to discover a series of high walls blanketed in hieroglyphs, forming a twisting maze of narrow corridors. Shelves, recesses, cabinets, and cubbyholes crammed with scrolls, stone slates, and wax tablets line the walls.

    Spoiler
    Show





  9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As Turi describes what he sees, Vershab explains that it is clearly an illusion, which proves true. "You seem to have failed to resist the illusion's effects, but do not fear - the scythe you see is not real," he says, confident in his area of expertise.

    Once the door is open the arcanist is immediately pleased. "Ah! Here we go...wait...Perhaps we should ensure these stacks are clear of hostile guardians before we continue our research. Who would like to take the lead? I will continue to scan for magical auras as we go," Vershab says, momentarily excited but then cautious upon seeing the labyrinthian book shelves.

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi lets out a low whistle at the sight of all the documents. He winces in the dim light of the arcanist's incantation as he loudly announces their presence to any unseen guardians. "Well, usually I would offer, but my strengths tend to lie in... more discretionary tactics. Lehasti?" As the paladin tromps past, he turns to Vershab, "Try to be quieter in places like this? Could get somebody hurt... and thanks about the.. illusion?" He falls in line behind Lehasti, still trying to clear his head of his apparently figmentary near-death experience.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti fails to hide her amusement at the exchange between the oblivious arcanist and the stealthy young man, a smile working its way across the bronzed woman's expressive features. "Well, it does rather seem that the opportunity for covert tactics has passed. Very well, then!" The paladin steps forward, blade held in a warding position, and she begins to creep into the newly revealed chamber.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Shadows dance around them in the eerie combination of light from Lehasti's flaming scimitar and Vershab's softly glowing globes. The towering paladin and the slim arcanist stand side by side, peering down the corridor between the stacks of age-old, dust-smelling documents. Behind them, Azkin enters the swiveling door, with Turi close behind. The silence weighs heavily on them for a few moments while Vershab concentrates, and Lehasti senses that some danger is nearby...

    That's when a deafening howl echoes from all directions, as if issued directly from the Nine Hells. All the shadows on the walls seem to turn towards the group, and everything around them looks like fangs and claws. His mind suddenly taken over by an irresistible panic, Turi turns on his heels and flees, an abject yell of terror his only explanation.

    Spoiler: Surprise round
    Show
    Will saves DC16 vs fear - Lehasti is immune, and Vershab, next to her, gets a +4 from Aura of Courage.

    Vershab (1d20+10)[26] duration (1d4)[3]
    Azkin (1d20+9)[27] duration (1d4)[1]
    Turi (1d20+6)[13] duration (1d4)[3] - panicked for 3 rounds.

    Initiative
    Vershab (1d20+12)[23]
    Azkin (1d20+2)[10]
    Turi (1d20+5)[22]
    Lehasti (1d20+1)[9]
    Enemy (1d20+6)[18]

    Round 1: Vershab's turn.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-14 at 06:02 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Surprise Round
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 51/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs

    "Steel yourselves! It is using a magical effect to induce terror. Azkin, can you cast Remove Fear on your brother?" asks Vershab as he scans the area for an enemy, the spectacles he wears aiding him as he searches for their opponent(s). "If we can find the enemy I can try to blind it and highlight it for us! Whatever it is, it is using the shadows to hide..."

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception Check (1d20+18)[19] to find our attacker(s)
    Knowledge (?) check to the enemy if seen: (1d20)[9] +18 (Religion), +15 (Arcana), +10 Nature/Planes, +9 all else

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Coming between the stacks, Vershab and Lehasti see a shadow that moves purposefully, among the many aimless others... In fact, it charges in Lehasti's direction! Shaped like a massive dog, the creature has a coat that drinks up the light, drawing shadows in around it. Its maw is full of sharp teeth, and a wisp of shadow drips from its writhing tongue. Even as it is clearly there, it's very hard to make out among the many plays of the flickering lights illuminating the scene. It jumps at the surprised servant of Sarenrae. Its bite leaves a bloody gash on the paladin's arm, and, unprepared for the onslaught, she stumbles and falls flat on her back.

    In a flash of memory, Vershab identifies the creature as a mastiff from the Plane of Shadow...

    ... And then, the howl starts again, in fact it's more than one, pitching over each other in a terrifying harmony. Grinding his teeth, Azkin withstands the assault to his senses, but Vershab, dropping everything, bolts away in sheer panic.

    Spoiler: end of round 1
    Show

    Vershab recognizes a shadow mastiff. With his poor roll, all he knows is that the creature is naturally very hard to see in shadowy environments (technically, it benefits from concealment, 50% miss chance, at all times)

    Two more howls... This means 2 Will saves for Azkin and Vershab!

    Vershab (1d20+10)[13] and (1d20+10)[13]; if at least one is failed, duration (1d4)[1] - failed: panic for 1 round
    Azkin (1d20+9)[28] and (1d20+9)[20]; if at least one is failed, duration (1d4)[2]

    The mastiff charges Lehasti (1d20+12)[31] damage (1d8+6)[9], cc(32) (1d20+12)[13] ed (1d8+6)[10]; if hit, trip attack (1d20+12)[25] - hit for 9 damage, and because Lehasti is still flat-footed, she gets tripped and falls prone, too!

    Round 2 begins, PC turns in any order.



    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-14 at 10:02 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 1
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 51/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 4/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs
    Panicked - 1 Round

    "Hounds, from the Shadowfell...they aren't fully of this world so they can be hard to hit...OH NO!" cries Vershab as he is assaulted by the otherworldly howling. The arcanist turns to follow Turi out the door, running as fast as he can!

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    By the terms found here Vershab must flee. By my math it looks like he ends this round at the bottom of the ladder.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Gritting her teeth through the pain and frustration of her sudden fall, Lehasti murmurs a prayer beneath her breath before springing to her feet with speed that belies her armored bulk! Fixing the shadowy hound with a menacing glare, she snarls out, "Your foul darkness will be cleansed by fire!" as she swings her flaming falchion, aiming a cleaving blow at its concealed shape.

    Azkin's expression of dismay brightens as his armored mistress gains her footing, and the young cleric intones a prayer: "Everlight, strengthen your daughter against the darkness!" He then steps to just behind the paladin's shoulder, spear readied against attackers-yet-unseen...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Spoiler: Lehasti
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 76/85, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 25, Fort 13, Ref 8, Will 9, CMB +12, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +14 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Falchion is Flaming (1d6 fire damage) today.
    Protection from Evil: +2 Deflection, Saves, prevents summoned contact
    Spoiler: Azkin
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 49/49, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 17, Fort 8, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition


    Spoiler: Lehasti's actions
    Show
    Lehasti casts Grace to avoid AoOs. (Swift)
    Move action to rise to feet.
    Standard action to attack (with Power Attack):

    Attack: (1d20+12)[24]; (1d100)[87] against concealment (51+ for success)
    CC: (1d20+12)[20] for x2 on 30+
    Damage: (2d4+11)[17] slashing plus (1d6)[1] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+11)[18] slashing

    Spoiler: AoO, if applicable
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+12)[14]; (1d100)[9] against concealment (51+ for success)
    CC: (1d20+12)[24] for x2 on 30+
    Damage: (2d4+11)[17] slashing plus (1d6)[1] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+11)[14] slashing

    Spoiler: Azkin's Actions
    Show
    Standard: cast Protection from Evil on Lehasti; 5ft step to K,15

    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Terrorized, both Vershab and Turi drop whatever they're holding, and run for it. While the panicked Turi navigates the hard slopes all the faster, Vershab stumbles and falls down, barely stopping his glide down back to the source of his fear.

    Undaunted, Lehasti and Azkin call on the strength of their faith! Even though she can barely distinguish her baying enemy from the shifting shadows all around her, Lehasti's falchion strikes true, and deals the mastiff a deep blow - not enough to make it recoil, though, and it attacks anew. But then, two other hounds from the Shadowfell come out from between the book stacks, and set out against the surprised Azkin. Beset on both sides, the aspiring priest falls on the floor, bleeding from two deep bites.

    Spoiler: end of round 2
    Show
    With the difficult terrain, Turi gets away, but not as far as he otherwise would. Vershab is prone.

    Mastiff #1 vs Lehasti (1d20+10)[20] damage (1d8+6)[13], cc(30) (1d20+10)[19] ed (1d8+6)[7]; if hit, trip attack (1d20+10)[19] - miss
    Mastiff #2 vs Azkin (1d20+10)[18] damage (1d8+6)[14], cc(30) (1d20+10)[26] ed (1d8+6)[9]; if hit, trip attack (1d20+10)[28] - hit
    Mastiff #3 vs Azkin (1d20+10)[27] damage (1d8+6)[11], cc(30) (1d20+10)[24] ed (1d8+6)[14]; if hit, trip attack (1d20+10)[21] - hit

    Azkin takes 25 damage total, and is prone.



    Damage so far:
    S1 - 18
    S2 - 0
    S3 - 0
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-22 at 06:49 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 2
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 51/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 3/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs

    "Well, this is simply not at all conducive to good scholarship..." mutters Vershab from the floor as he rolls onto his back and begins casting a spell. "Lehasti, it is about to get a bit brighter in there - hopefully this won't blind you." After flinging some brightly shining, conjured dust he stands.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard action to cast Glitterdust centered on the corner of J15 and K16. Vershab will use a free action to spend a point from his Arcane Reservoir to increase the DC to 18 to avoid blindness, but their concealment is removed in accordance with our conversation in Discord. The spell effect will last seven rounds, with additional saving throws for the blind every round at the end of the creature's turn.

    Lehasti's Save (1d20+9)[20] vs DC 18 (Pass)
    Azkin's Save (1d20+9)[28] vs DC 18 (Pass)
    S1's Save (1d20+5)[24] vs DC 18 (Pass)
    S2's Save (1d20+5)[8] vs DC 18 (Fail)
    S3's Save (1d20+5)[18] vs DC 18 (Pass)

    Move action to stand.
    Last edited by DarkOne7141981; 2019-09-18 at 10:00 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    A short "yip!" of some indeterminate emotion is the only sign of Turi as he suddenly steps back into the shadows outside the room. He makes no appearance for several seconds, leaving Lehasti and the others to deal with the umbral hounds.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    A cloud of light motes falls down on the scene at Vershab's incantation. This momentarily distracts the dark hounds, but their nature immediately reasserts itself: Much to the arcanist's dismay, the shadows soon take over, hungrily sucking in whatever light he produced.

    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the mastiffs is blinded (it's S2, but it takes a DC15 perception check to notice it). Azkin and Lehasti made their saves.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    As he tries to dodge the bites, Azkin extends a hand towards his mentor, calling on her the blessing of the Dawnflower. Lehasti brings the falchion down on her elusive opponent.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Azkin: Touch of Good
    Lehasti:
    - Attack S1, miss chance (1d100)[59] attack (1d20+14)[17] with Touch of Good, damage (2d4+11)[18], cc(32+) (1d20+14)[21], cd (2d4+11)[16] - miss
    - If S1 is down, 5-ft step to attack S2, otherwise continue on S1
    - Miss chance (1d100)[80] attack (1d20+9)[19] with Touch of Good, damage (2d4+11)[13], cc(27+) (1d20+9)[11], cd (2d4+11)[13] - hit

    Damage so far:
    S1 - 31
    S2 - 0
    S3 - 0
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-22 at 06:50 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti is left facing only one of the ferocious beasts, as the two others gang up on the unfortunate Azkin, even though one is hampered by the luminous dust in its eyes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mastiff #1 vs Lehasti (1d20+10)[12] damage (1d8+6)[9]; cc(30) (1d20+10)[23] cd (1d8+6)[7] - miss
    Mastiff #2 vs Azkin, miss chance (1d100)[39], (1d20+10)[12] damage (1d8+6)[9]; cc(30) (1d20+10)[30] cd (1d8+6)[10] - miss
    Mastiff #3 vs Azkin (1d20+10)[25] damage (1d8+6)[7]; cc(30) (1d20+10)[27] cd (1d8+6)[13] - hit

    Azkin takes 7 damage. The map doesn't change.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-22 at 07:03 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Gasping in pain, Azkin's reaches a grasping hand out once more to his paladin mistress. "Lehasti- strike true for the Dawnflower!" cries out the young cleric in a voice tinged by fear.

    Lehasti spares no effort on words, throwing herself wholly into a savage assault on the shadowy beasts before her.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Spoiler: Lehasti
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 76/85, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 25, Fort 15, Ref 10, Will 11, CMB +14, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +14 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Falchion is Flaming (1d6 fire damage) today.
    Protection from Evil: +2 Deflection, Saves, prevents summoned contact, 48 rds
    Touch of Good: +2 atk/skills/ability checks/saves, 1 rd
    Spoiler: Azkin
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 17/49, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 17, Fort 8, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Prone: -4 atk, +/-4 AC vs ranged/melee

    Azkin: Touch of Good for +2 Attack/Skills/Ability Checks/Resistances for 1 rd.

    Lehasti: Full (Power) Attack on the same Shadow Mastiff. If she downs it she will:
    1) 5ft step to continue the attack to the next-closest Shadow Mastiff
    2) Activate Smite Evil against this Mastiff as a swift action
    3) Continue the FRA

    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[21], (1d100)[71] against concealment (50+ = hit) plus 3 if against a Smite Evil target!
    CC: (1d20+14)[32] for x2 on 32+ plus 3 if against a Smite Evil target!
    Damage: (2d4+14)[18] slashing plus (1d6)[2] fire damage plus 7 if against a Smite Evil target! (plus another 7 if first hit against an evil outsider)
    Crit damage: (2d4+14)[19] slashing plus 7 if against a Smite Evil target! (plus another 7 if first hit against an evil outsider)

    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[16], (1d100)[97] against concealment (50+ = hit) plus 3 if against a Smite Evil target!
    CC: (1d20+14)[22] for x2 on 32+ plus 3 if against a Smite Evil target!
    Damage: (2d4+14)[19] slashing plus (1d6)[4] fire damage plus 7 if against a Smite Evil target! (plus another 7 if first hit against an evil outsider)
    Crit damage: (2d4+14)[19] slashing plus 7 if against a Smite Evil target! (plus another 7 if first hit against an evil outsider)

    Spoiler: AoO if applicable
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+14)[15], (1d100)[14] against concealment (50+ = hit) plus 3 if against a Smite Evil target!
    CC: (1d20+14)[24] for x2 on 32+ plus 3 if against a Smite Evil target!
    Damage: (2d4+14)[17] slashing plus (1d6)[3] fire damage plus 7 if against a Smite Evil target! (plus another 7 if first hit against an evil outsider)
    Crit damage: (2d4+14)[20] slashing plus 7 if against a Smite Evil target! (plus another 7 if first hit against an evil outsider)
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 3
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 51/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 2/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs

    "I really must expand my studies on extraplanar guardians," Vershab grumbles as he pulls a bit of fleece from his spell component pouch. He then spits some arcane syllables as he gestures towards the shadow mastiffs. An instant later it appears that two walls of force similar to one-way mirrors appear, cutting off the enemies from Azkin and Lehasti in a rectangle extending from the double doors into the room. From their side of the glass Lehasti and Azkin can clearly see the hounds, but the hounds might see nothing but their reflections in the dim light between the book stacks. "Please take a moment to recover before breaking the force mirrors - they are as solid as the scythe trap we bypassed a moment ago..."

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard action to cast Silent Image as described above (two illusory, "indestructible" force mirrors along the borders between columns I-J and K-L). Vershab will use a free action to spend a point from his Arcane Reservoir to increase the DC to 17 Will to disbelieve it.

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Under the divine inspiration of the Dawnflower's light, Lehasti's move is akin to a dance. She slices through the first mastiff on one side, felling it, then bounces towards the second one. The falchion flares brightly, its usual flames now a blinding golden color as Sarenrae's blessing descends through it. The second mastiff suffers a grievous blow: Its shadowy substance begins to dissipate in the glow of the paladin's attack.

    Vershab conjures up an illusory mirror, but the remaining two hounds must have noticed a discrepancy in their reflections. Both jump straight through, baying for blood. Azkin takes another nasty bite.

    Meanwhile, halfway up the well, Turi finally manages to get a grip over his magically induced panic.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Both disbelieve the mirror. Mastiff S2's blindness is apparently over.

    Mastiff #2 vs Lehasti (1d20+10)[18] damage (1d8+6)[11]; cc(30) (1d20+10)[21] cd (1d8+6)[14]; if hit, trip (1d20+10)[21] - miss
    Mastiff #3 vs Azkin (1d20+10)[28] damage (1d8+6)[10]; cc(30) (1d20+10)[16] cd (1d8+6)[8]; if hit, trip (1d20+10)[24] - hit

    Azkin takes 10 damage and can't be tripped, since he's prone already.

    Turi is now free from the panic.



    Damage so far
    S1 - dead
    S2 - 37
    S3 - 0
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-24 at 09:19 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Lehasti's fierce assault continues unabated, her flaming blade sweeping once more against the shadowy hound before her, but Azkin's wordless cry of rejoicing is cut short by a yelp of renewed pain as the third creature's jaws sink into his leg. Kicking himself loose from its jaws, the pale-faced cleric clutches his holy symbol and shouts heavenward, "Healing light, shine on us!" A wave of soothing warmth bursts from the cleric, and the blood flowing from the gashes on his legs seems to slow.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Spoiler: Lehasti
    Show
    Lehasti Gesmeha
    F LG Human Paladin, Level 7, Init 1, HP 85/85, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, CMD 25, Fort 13, Ref 8, Will 9, CMB +12, Base Attack Bonus 7
    +1/Flaming/Flaming Burst, Continual Flame Flaming Puzzle Falchion +1 +14 (2d4+7, 18-20, x2)
    Flail, Heavy +11 (1d10+6, 19-20, x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +11 (1d4+4, )
    Breastplate +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition Falchion is Flaming (1d6 fire damage) today.
    Protection from Evil: +2 Deflection, Saves, prevents summoned contact, 47 rds
    Spoiler: Azkin
    Show
    Azkin
    M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init 2, HP 24/49, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 17, Fort 8, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Longspear 5 (1d8+3, x3)
    Dagger +1 6 (1d4+3, 19-20, x2)
    Scimitar 5 (1d6+3, 18-20, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 10
    Condition Prone: -4 atk, +/-4 AC vs ranged/melee


    Lehasti begins a full-round Power Attack, targeting the wounded Hound:

    Attack 1: (1d20+15)[22] (including Smite Evil), (1d100)[36] vs concealment (51+ hits)
    CC: (1d20+15)[18] (including Smite Evil) for x2 on 33+
    Damage: (2d4+21)[29] slashing plus (1d6)[1] fire damage
    Crit damage: (2d4+21)[28] slashing

    Should this attack kill the 2nd mastiff, Lehasti will 5ft step to L15 and attack the final mastiff. If it does not kill the 2nd mastiff, Lehasti will continue to attack the current mastiff.

    Attack 1: (1d20+12)[27] (Not including Smite Evil), (1d100)[94] vs concealment (51+ hits)
    CC: (1d20+12)[17] (Not including Smite Evil) for x2 on 33+
    Damage: (2d4+14)[20] slashing plus (1d6)[4] fire damage (plus 7 vs smite target)
    Crit damage: (2d4+14)[19] slashing (plus 7 vs smite target)

    Spoiler: Lehasti's AoO, if applicable
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+12)[21] (Not including Smite Evil), (1d100)[55] vs concealment (51+ hits)
    CC: (1d20+12)[18] (Not including Smite Evil) for x2 on 33+
    Damage: (2d4+14)[18] slashing plus (1d6)[4] fire damage (plus 7 vs smite target)
    Crit damage: (2d4+14)[22] slashing (plus 7 vs smite target)


    Regardless of the results of these attacks, Lehasti will 5ft step to L15 at the end of her turn if she hasn't already.

    Azkin will Channel Positive Energy to heal for: (3d6)[17]. If somehow both Mastiffs are dead he will stand, but if an enemy continues to threaten him he will remain prone.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-09-24 at 01:15 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Gundwolf for Carrion Crown

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 4
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 51/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 2/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    0/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs

    "Hmmm..." Vershab suddenly stops concentrating on his spell and lunges at the remaining mastiff, a sickly, pale glow barely visible around his hand.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Move adjacent to the remaining shadow mastiff and use Grave Touch to make it shaken for three rounds.

    Grave Touch (touch attack) (1d20+2)[6] to hit touch AC (no save to resist)

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Maryland :(
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Turi regains his senses in the dark. Fortunately, his reflexes tell him to keep hold of what he's holding, and he grips the ladder tightly. He orients quickly, images of shadowy hounds flooding his mind as their bays and snarls echo up through the well. With a short curse, not quite under his breath, he adjusts his grip to the outer rail of the ladders, and hopes for the best. All-but running downhill, he half climbs/half falls before jumping to the floor, landing hard but on his feet- eager to aid his allies.

    Spoiler: Turi, round like forever
    Show
    Spoiler: stats
    Show
    Turi
    Male N Human Fighter 1 / URogue 6 (Knife master), Level 7, Init +5, HP 73/73, Speed 30
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 9, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 4
    +1 Kukri x2 +12 or +10/+10 (1d4+6, 18-20, x2)
    Cold iron dagger +10 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
    Silver dagger +10 (1d4-1, 19-20, x2)
    Trip attempt +16 (assuming +1 kukri)
    Mistmail (mist form- 20% concealment), Amulet of natural armor, Ring of protection (+5 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Nat, +1 Def)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition +1 dmg when flanking
    +1 AC (23) vs attack with light blades
    sneak stab: 3d8/3d4
    Endurance, die hard // Resiliency: 1/1
    Vanish: 2/2 (CL 6)
    -2 skill checks after failure
    ignore first 5' of difficult terrain
    poisons, potions
    Escape artist R's edge


    Mechanically, I would like to accelerated climb down. If possible, depending I think mostly on lighting at this distance, I'd like him to jump the last 20', with an acrobatics check (DC 15) to ignore the first 10 feet, and convert the second 10 feet to nonlethal damage. (1d20+12)[31] vs 15. If pass, (1d6)[3] nonlethal. if fail, add (1d6)[3] and all is lethal (and Turi is prone).

    Depending on his height and how long this takes, he'll start moving into the weird pyramid room. Let me know your take on precise distances.

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    The paladin's second blow fells her shadowy opponent, but Vershab's attempt is unsuccessful. Up the ladder, Turi climbs down as fast as he can, then jumps in his hurry to get back into the fight. Meanwhile, the last hound turns back to bite Vershab, but its teeth fail to find their mark.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Turi went 45' up by my calculation (half speed along the ladder). 1 move action down, then drop and take damage, another move action.

    The last mastiff attacks :
    Bite vs Vershab (1d20+10)[14] damage (1d8+6)[14] ; cc(30) (1d20+10)[22] cd (1d8+6)[7]; if hit, trip (1d20+10)[17]
    Tail slap vs Lehasti (1d20+5)[10] damage (1d6+3)[8] ; cc(25) (1d20+5)[17] cd (1d6+3)[5]


    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-09-28 at 02:17 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

    Spoiler: Vershab' Status, Round 5
    Show
    Vershab Fethi
    Male True Neutral Human Blood Arcanist, Level 7, Init 12, HP 51/51, DR 5/- (vs. Nonlethal), Speed 30 ft.
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort 4, [B]Ref[/B 4, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mage Armor (Extended, 14 Hours)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition 2/9 Arcane Reservoir Available
    1/5 Grave Touch Used
    Draak 25/25 HPs

    Vershab silently reaches out towards the mastiff again, the sickly glow still present around his hand...

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Attempt to connect with Grave Touch again.

    Grave Touch (touch attack) (1d20+2)[22] to hit touch AC (no save to resist)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •