New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in Space

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Lost in Space

So, the new show is on Netflix, does anyone have any thoughts on it?

I am only 2 and a half episodes into the seasons. So far I can't tell if I like it or not. They made some weird changes. I am getting a heavy Iron Giant feeling from Will and the Robot. Although that could be cause, I just watched it recently.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Lost in Space

Well now I wanna watch The Iron Giant again.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    So, the new show is on Netflix, does anyone have any thoughts on it?

I am only 2 and a half episodes into the seasons. So far I can't tell if I like it or not. They made some weird changes. I am getting a heavy Iron Giant feeling from Will and the Robot. Although that could be cause, I just watched it recently.
    I never watched the original, so I can't comment on any changes, weird or otherwise. So far, my biggest issue is Dr. Smith. Not because she is evil (I'm fine with evil characters), but because she's stupid, and every action she makes should have resulted in iher being removed from society one way or another, and yet she keeps getting away with it for no reason other than the writers need an antagonist. She also doesn't seem to have an objective other than screw everyone around her for no significant gain. In short, every minute she is on screen I hate the series.

On the other hand, when she isn't on screen, I quite like the series. Which means that since her presence was blessedly brief in the first few episodes, I quite enjoyed them, but now I'm three or four episodes in, she's a lot more present and I'm having to grit my teeth to get through scene after scene of her. We'll see if I push through. For a brief moment, it seemed like she might steal some stuff and leave, but unfortunately, no luck.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I made it 30 minutes into the first episode before turning it off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm generally known as a massive misery guts. But the trailer looked neat to me for wanting some space survival actiony stuff.
    So what about the show ends up disappointing for a guy who didn't end up watching the show?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I never watched the original, so I can't comment on any changes, weird or otherwise. So far, my biggest issue is Dr. Smith. Not because she is evil (I'm fine with evil characters), but because she's stupid...
    Wow, so many years since the original! Ok your take on Dr. Smith is not suprising (he's a woman now? Sheesh). He was a villian at first who eventually becomes popular as an egotist and , to use one of his pharses, an "incompetent ninny". He and the robot turn into the shows comedy team, with Will as the hero. More of a Jim Hawkins than Wesly Crusher.

The father's are only around to do things the writers didn't think a child can/should do. The mother is a scientist but I don't remember her as other than a cosmic Mrs. Cleaver. Oldest daughter Judy and non- related Don are there for damsel in distress plots, with Penny for middle child angst plots. None of which are particularly memorable.

Still the actors were very good, working with television dialog and plots of their day.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGirl

I, too, never saw the original show. I've only watched the first episode so far. Eesh was this cringeworthy, though. I know family bickering is a thing, but who in their right mind would trust these people with a spaceship? Also, water does not freeze that way. Also, they treat Will like he's 5, even though he's supposed to be 11 or something close to that.

Sadly, maybe infuriatingly, I may keep watching because the robot is interesting. Also, I did want to see Parker Posey as a villain, but from what's been said so far I'm not holding out hope that it will be as interesting as I was expecting.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

8. - Top - End - #8

Well, I only watched Episode 1 and I have seen every episode of the old show many, many, many, many times.

I really don't get this type of reboot that changes things for no reason ''just to change things and be coolz". If your going to take X, and reboot and update X, you want to stay as close to X as possible. You do not just write your own personal space show and just slap ''lost in space'' on it. Really, if your so brilliant and you want to have your own space show...just make one, don't take an old one and change it.

Like really, for silly diversity Judy Roberson is black...yet the family is white. Though, sure, she might have been adopted? I'm not sure the show ever says that though....

I'm fine with DR. Smith being a woman...that is the type of character change that is fine(wish they had pickled a pretty actress though).

The idea of ''families'' of colonists is at best a bit of a weird plot....but the show really goes over board with the unbelievably stupid kids. But, sure Kidz rule the world and ''Kid power" and all. I'm sure lots of kids like watching kids on TV be dumb idiots with coolz kids power!. When you are in a serious life and death situation, you do not act like a dumb spoiled brat idiot kid. If you do...you will die.

The show does the stupid ''lost''(haha) thing of showing them ''in space'', and then giving us the stupid flashbacks. I sure HOPE this is only for the first show. I hope we don't have to sit through endless stupid ''before they were lost in space they had stupid WB drama" in every show.

I wish we could have gotten a show about Earth and the backstory....

So there are evil alien robots? Err, well,,,ok, not so bad....the original show had plenty.

Otherwise it's not so much ''lost in space'' as it is ''Swiss Family Robberson"...it's just a survival show...in space(for all of three minutes).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I never saw the original, either, although I am vaguely aware of it and some of its tropes due to pop culture osmosis. Honestly, I'd be surprised if there are very many people here who are old enough to have seen the original. It went off the air 50 years ago.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I never saw the original, either, although I am vaguely aware of it and some of its tropes due to pop culture osmosis. Honestly, I'd be surprised if there are very many people here who are old enough to have seen the original. It went off the air 50 years ago.

Well, it was in re-runs for years. After all, that is where I saw it.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfClericGuy

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGirl

I only watched the pilot the other day. It wasn't terrible, but nothing in it really wowed me either. I usually watch 2 or 3 episodes of a show before I form my final(ish) thoughts, so I might end up doing that at some point.

There's potential here. And I hope it turns in to something worthwhile, but if I do end up liking it overall I'd say it starts off a bit rocky/clunky.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

I love it. 6 episodes in and counting.

I agree that Smith is simultaneously the most frustrating and most necessary part of the show. But it was also a good evolution of the original's concept.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I agree that Smith is simultaneously the most frustrating and most necessary part of the show
    I'm going to trust you on this, Psyren. But if I end up bashing my head against the desk in frustration over her karma avoidance and stupidity of action, I will hold you personally responsible.

GW

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm going to trust you on this, Psyren. But if I end up bashing my head against the desk in frustration over her karma avoidance and stupidity of action, I will hold you personally responsible.

GW
    My wife dislikes Smith as a villain. Wife's take:" she seems pretty dumb and completely unnecessary. She doesn't add much drama; the environment itself adds more drama than she does, and she seems out of place, honestly."

She still loves the show and Smith doesn't ruin anything for her, so there's still that. I advocate that you still hold Psyren alone personally responsible for any desk/head bashing, or bashing-related activities, of course.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16

GW
    "The foil, I imagine. It'd get terribly dull without a little internal conflict, you know."

I can't guarantee you won't still feel that way, but the karma is definitely building.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17

Daemon

Oh? New Lost in Space show?
    Is Matt leBlanc or Gary Oldman in it?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My wife dislikes Smith as a villain. Wife's take:" she seems pretty dumb and completely unnecessary. She doesn't add much drama; the environment itself adds more drama than she does, and she seems out of place, honestly."
    I concur wholeheartedly with your wife's opinion, and I commend her for expressing it much better than I was able to. Please do pass along my congratulations.

GW

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I watched the trailer, and while i wasnt expecting Lost in Space (as i have seen the original,a and its freaking hilarious) i wasn't expecting it to look like "Lost" in Space. If anything i was expecting it to basically be the series version of the movie reboot.

Also that black girl is Will's sister? How the hell does that work? I thought she was just a random extra girl they added in to expand the cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I watched the trailer, and while i wasnt expecting Lost in Space (as i have seen the original,a and its freaking hilarious) i wasn't expecting it to look like "Lost" in Space. If anything i was expecting it to basically be the series version of the movie reboot.

Also that black girl is Will's sister? How the hell does that work? I thought she was just a random extra girl they added in to expand the cast.
    Judy is Maureen's child from a previous marriage.

Acknowledging that what constitutes "family" as a concept has changed in half a century.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post

Acknowledging that what constitutes "family" as a concept has changed in half a century.
    It is ok for him to feel the way he does. No need to shame him on it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, well that explains it.

Way to judge a guy for being honestly confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Come 'ere ya' whippersnapper and get within cane distance!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Way to judge a guy for being honestly confused.
    I'm not judging you, it's simply what the show's doing. The 60's series was the prototypical American television 50's/60's nuclear family, only IN SPACE! Which feels rather alien to contemporary experiences, as are most of the family dynamics and characterizations from that series.

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

Okay I think I narrowed it down. What is getting to me about the show. It's kind of silly, but not, at the same time.

I am watching the show, and I'm not getting a "lost in space" Vibe. I am getting more of a... "Lost" or.. more accurately. "Terra Nova".

I mean, The Original Show is about a family, singular, lost.. in space. Hoping from planet to planet. I don't know why it doesn't feel the same, now that there is a whole colony there with them.

Which is kind of .. Sad. It seems yet again, the people that make these shows didn't have enough faith in something to come out with it. Instead they had to cash in some Nostalgia coins. Although, this is more of a throwback to old nostalgia. If that makes sense.

I don't know how much press this would have gotten if the show was called.. "Alpha Centuari" Following the exploits of stranded group of refugees. With the Nebula family as the main characters. That is one of my Biggest flaws with the movie. The characters aren't really, the same as they were. Even in the movie, they stayed closer to the characters.

Like, Dr Smith. In the series, I remember him being scared all the time, and doing things to get ahead. I don't remember him being a Sociopath. I mean, this new doctor.. just seems to do things without thinking.

The Changing of the father from being a smart Scientist, to just.. basically a jock. Making Will not the smart person he was suppose to be. I mean, his only function now, is to be the thing that controls the robot. Also, as Cool as the Robot is. He went from being something the Father designed to being some alien attack thing, ala Iron Giant?

However, I like the show. It has some good level qualities, at times I felt like I was watching a movie.

26. - Top - End - #26

I change my mind, the ending was dumb I was willing to stick it out to get there but I think I'll stick with Discovery for my madcap space travel.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly it surprises me to the extent Netflix suffers from filler. They could in theory have episodes of any length and seasons of any length, yet a pretty sizable number of their series are way too long in one structural capacity or another.

Judy is stuck in the ice for something like 130 minutes of the pilot's runtime. I've only watched the first two episodes, but you could have easily hacked both down to 40 ish minutes of network TV appropriate runtimes and the episodes would have been stronger unburdened of all the wheel spinning.

Does this series pull a Sense8 and make slogging through the first few episodes absolutely worth it, or is the rest of the season paced the same way?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I watched the first episode in my friend's house while waiting for the rest of the group to arrive and found it quite boring... Luckily, I was using my friend's account, so it shows up in her "continue watching" list, not mine... XD
    Homebrew Stuff:

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Honestly it surprises me to the extent Netflix suffers from filler. They could in theory have episodes of any length and seasons of any length, yet a pretty sizable number of their series are way too long in one structural capacity or another.

Judy is stuck in the ice for something like 130 minutes of the pilot's runtime. I've only watched the first two episodes, but you could have easily hacked both down to 40 ish minutes of network TV appropriate runtimes and the episodes would have been stronger unburdened of all the wheel spinning.

Does this series pull a Sense8 and make slogging through the first few episodes absolutely worth it, or is the rest of the season paced the same way?
    Honestly I do think it's worth a watch. Everyone in the family (and other major characters like Smith, Don, and Victor) has a genuine arc, and Maureen is fantastic in every way. But the next season is going to need a big wow to get me truly invested, and there are some loose ends/questions in dire need of explaining.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Everything I know of the original is "Danger Will Robinson" and a vague picture of what I think the Robot looks like. I have no idea about the plot, characters, setting, etc.

That said, all my youtube videos lately have been filled with the German speaking trailer for this. And it's utterly attrocious. I've never heard people scream with so little emotion. "Oh. No. It. Seems. We. Are. Lost. ... In. Space."
    Resident Vancian Apologist