New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest I- Who needs Swords OR Sorcerery?

The voting period has begun and no more changes may be made to the base classes.

Welcome to the 1st competition between playgrounders to create a homebrewed base class for Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition. This concept was heavily based around the Base Class Contests for 3.5e on this forum, but they are by no means officially related and this competition runs on slightly a slightly different ruleset. The rules for the contest are as follows.
    1) The class you homebrew should be a non-casting class which doesn’t focus on making weapon attacks either . This does not necessarily mean your class must be non-magical, but it should not cast any spells in the conventional manner. This contest was designed to represent interesting features not constrained to spells, so unconventional casting methods (such as through ki) will be frowned upon too. So long as you can justify that your class follows the theme in anyway it is valid. Although you cannot be punished for making a class which does not follow the theme well, it is unlikely that your work will get voted for if you do so.
    2) You may only create one base class. If you create more than one class then you must choose which one to enter and remove all the others from this thread and the contest (making them invalid) . If you do not specify which one you favor by the time voting begins, all of your content is invalid.
    3) Until the contest is over your homebrew cannot be posted anywhere else except for this thread. If the content has been posted anywhere else before you entered it into the contest (including a previous competition), then it cannot be posted here. Failure to comply to either of the previous two rules will result in disqualification. That being said, you do not necessarily need to write the class on a post in this thread, you may instead post a link to the document which contains the content. This does not mean you can post the document over a medium where others could view it (such as a separate thread in GitP), it just means you can organize it over homebrewery or a google doc instead of a post in the main thread.
    4) You may use other homebrew content (such as feats, spells, magical items and monsters) or even features which you have created elsewhere to supplement your class, but these must be written at least partially by you. Taking a concept from someone else’s homebrew is acceptable, but the exact mechanics cannot be the same. Failure to comply to either of the previous two rules will result in disqualification.
    5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due at 11:59 pm on June May 23rd Eastern Standard Time. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
    6) Any content which has been declared invalid by the rules above cannot be voted for, but you may decide to remove it from the contest and create another class instead. If you are disqualified then you are not allowed to enter any more homebrew for this competition, though you may still vote and later enter the next competition.
    7) Please note that as this is the first competition and misunderstandings can occur, if you break a rule which results in disqualification it might be excused if you can convince the group that it was a result of confusion over the rules.

Chat thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-I-Chat-Thread
    Voting thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Voting-Thread

Keep in mind that this contest is entirely for recreational purposes and there is no reward (aside from bragging rights) for someone who succeeds. Let us begin!
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-05-24 at 01:58 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest I- Who needs Swords OR Sorcerery?

Is it acceptable for a class to cast spells that don't use spell slots? For example, each Monk archetype (in PHB at least), as well as the base Monk class itself, gives the ability to cast certain spells, but no-one would really consider the Monk to be a "real" spellcaster.

On a related note, are spellcasting subclasses okay? In the vein of Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

The Protean
    Why are there (cursing) mutants on my (cursing) material plane?

Updated with minor changes.

Google Docs Link, v2.0

Spoiler: Design Notes
    Show

• Sub-themes: body horror, variable movement options.
    • I tried to be suitably vague about the origins so as not to implicate any particular frog-like creatures that happen to live in Limbo.
    • One sub-class takes cues from the Hulk (green skin and anger issues optional); the other is an infiltrator/assassin.
    • I tried to have a reasonably balanced set of mutations for each body slot--the idea is that each sub-class revolves around one particular mutation for combat but can freely switch out others. Suggestions welcome.
    • Current action economy prevents effective in-combat shifting (generally takes an action). Good, bad, meh?

Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2018-04-22 at 12:38 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The Investigator

I present to you the Investigator. It is now completely finished. The homebrewery or PDF link below will lead you to the class and the google docs link will lead you to my design notes on it.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1ZS3cnznz (Homebrewery)

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/p...nz?dialog=true (PDF)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing (Doc)
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-05-24 at 08:44 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I may participate if I get some inspiration.
    Placeholder thread for my entry if I do.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The Spiritcaller

PDF option

EDIT:
    I think I have finished this class now. I forgot to give Psychopomp a first level non-ribbon feature, and then I had to clean up a bunch of formatting to make the PDF look good. Still not 100% sure on some of the spirit point costs and am curious to hear what people think.

EDIT EDIT: Fixing the link with the updated PDF for version 2 after implementing recommended changes
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-04-26 at 05:22 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Primal Gourmand
    hit points
    hit dice: 1d10 per gourmand level
    hit points at 1st level: 10 + your constitution modifier
    hit points at higher levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your constitution modifier per barbarian level after 1st.

Proficiencies
    Armor: light armor
    Weapons: simple weapons, nets
    Tools: Chef Tools, Camping kit
    Saving throws: strength, constitution
    Skills: choose two from Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Intimidation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival

Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

The Primal Gourmand
    Level Proficiency Bonus Features Bite Damage Adaptive Mutations Residual Mutations 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st +2 Ravenous Hunger, Genetic Assimilation 1d8 3 1 2
    2nd +2 Gourmand Archetype, Consumption 1d8 3 2 3
    3rd +2 Gourmand Adaptation 1d8 4 2 4 2
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement 1d10 5 2 4 3
    5th +3 Extra Attack, Consumption Talent 1d10 5 2 4 3 2
    6th +3 1d10 5 3 4 3 3
    7th +3 Gourmand Adaptation 1d10 6 4 4 3 3 1
    8th +3 Ability Score Improvement 1d10 7 4 4 3 3 2
    9th +4 Consumption Talent 1d10 8 4 4 3 3 3 1
    10th +4 1d10 9 5 4 3 3 3 2
    11th +4 Gourmand Adaptation 2d6 9 6 4 3 3 3 2 1
    12th +4 Ability Score Improvement 2d6 9 6 4 3 3 3 2 1
    13th +5 Consumption Talen 2d6 9 6 4 3 3 3 2 1 1
    14th +5 2d6 10 7 4 3 3 3 2 1 1
    15th +5 Gourmand Adaptation 2d6 11 8 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 1
    16th +5 Ability Score Improvement 2d6 11 8 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 1
    17th +6 Consumption Talent 2d8 12 8 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 1 1
    18th +6 2d8 13 9 4 3 3 3 3 1 1 1 1
    19th +6 Ability Score Improvement, Gourmand Pinacle 2d8 13 9 4 3 3 3 3 2 1 1 1
    20th +6 Perfect Evolution 2d8 13 9 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 1

Class Features
    As a Primal Gourmand, you gain the following class features:

Ravenous Hunger
    You gain a bite attack you are proficient in that deals 1d8 damage + strength modifier. Your extreme hunger has manifested in the ability to enlarge your maw much further then natural for your species. The jaw of the gourmand is able to extend to accommodate swallowing creatures up to 3 sizes smaller whole.

Genetic Assimilation
    You gain a unique sustance form the flesh of others, called essence and you may use it to power your mutation. A creature grants 1 essence per HD. The gormand loses all essence not expended at the end of a long rest. The gourmand heals 1 hp per essence lost due to a long rest. during a short rest they may loose half their current essence to recover 1/4 their max health.

Essence can be used to power mutations listed below. If the mutations cost is paid it becomes a adaptive mutation. Adaptive mutations are lost when making a long rest. As a free action you may dismiss an adaptive mutation. Adaptive mutations can be gaining a adaptive mutation takes 1 round and you must spend the cost provided in the mutation's description.

Residual mutations are mutations that last through a long rest. Thy are not lost unless you fail to consume enough essence with in a week of leveling up to pay the residual cost. You may opt to loose a residual mutation during a short rest. You can only gain residual mutations if you have an open residual mutation slot and enough essence during a short rest.

Gourmand Archetype
    The groumand developes their talents a step further taking them down one of the paths that lead to legend.

Consumption
    Starting at the 2nd level the gourmand gains a new method a inflicting their enemies with harm to facilitate the feast.

Gourmand Adaptations
    Starting at the 3rd level and every four levels after gain an additional benefit form your archetype.

Consumption Talent
    Starting at the 5th level and every four levels after the gourmands method of gaining essence improves as listed in their entries.

Gourmand Pinnacle
    At the 19th level the gourmand gains the final talent that exemplifies their path to power.

Perfect Evolution
    At the 20th level the gourmand no longer loses genetic material upon resting. Residual mutations take 1 round to manifest and cost half as much. Adaptive mutations can be assumed as a free action, regardless of who's turn it is.

Archetype
    Iron Chef
    You are a master of preserving the flavor and taste of the kill, but most of all you have mastered granting your allies the benefits of the kill.
    Spoiler
    Show

Apex Predator
    The primal essence of the hunt pervades your being and you partake in the more primal side.
    Spoiler
    Show

Swallow
    While grappleing a creature 3 sizes smaller than you, you can make a bite attack, if the attack hits, the target takes the bite damage and is swallowed. Swallowing the target ends the grapple. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the tarrasque, and it takes acid 2d6 damage at the start of each of the gourmand's turns. If the gourmand takes 5 times class level damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, the gourmand must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within in the gourmand's reach. If the gourmand dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 30 feet of movement, exiting prone.

The stomach of the gourmand is a strange multi dimensional space and contains acids and enzymes. The gourmand's stomach distends while it contains a creature but only so much as is noticeable, no mechanical change. Any creature inside does not count against their carry capacity. When a creature is swallowed the gourmand can expend a spell slot to empower his acids increasing the damage by 2d6 per slot level. This increase lasts until they either cut their way out or die. If a creature dies in the gourmand's stomach it's genetic material is subsumed by the gourmand and the gourmand may use it to power mutation.

Predator Senses
    Starting at the 3rd level you gain advantage on any check to notice a creature you have met before.

Survival Instinct
    At the 7th level you do not grant disadvantage when your are flanked and on successful dexterity save for half you instead take no damage.

Predator Tracking
    At the 11th level you gain the ability to locate a target you currently are following the tracks of, by expending a 5th level or higher slot as a 1 minute action. This ability allows you to find the shortest, most direct physical route to the target creature on the same plane of existence. If your target is on another plane of existence the ability fails. The effects durration is based on the slot used, 5th last 24 hours,

For the duration, as long as you are on the same plane of existence as the target, you know how far it is and in what direction it lies. While you are traveling there, whenever you are presented with a choice of paths along the way, you automatically determine which path is the shortest and most direct route (but not necessarily the safest route) to the destination.

Huntsmaster
    At the 15th level you gain advantage to all strength and dexterity checks vs a creature you tracked.

Primordial Predator Senses
    At the 19th level your senses are truely extraoridanry finding the smallest changes in enviorment. Your passive perception and survial are 18 + skill bonus.

Primal Gape
    Starting at the 5th level and every four levels after you can effect a creature one size category larger then your previous limit with your swallow ability. At 5th your size -2, at 9th your size -1, at 13th the same size as you, and 17th one size larger then you.

## Mutations

#### Mutation Name
    Short fluff description
    ___
    - **Cost:** Amount of genetic material required for adaptive benefit.
    - **Residual Cost:** Amount of genetic material required each level to maintain a risidual mutation.
    - **Prerequisite:** The creature that was consumed must have had the triats listed for its essence to be used for a mutation.
    - **Benefit:** What the mutation does.
    - **Empower:** How the benefit is changed by adding magical energy via expending slots.
    - **Special:** Any

Spoiler
    Show
    #### Acidborne Bile
    Your skin sethes a sticky slime that neutralizes acid it contacts.
    ___
    - **Cost:** 1/2 class level
    - **Residual Cost:** 4 genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have acid resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain acid resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a acid effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane acid is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Aether Dampening Skin
    Your skin becomes more translucent and has random flows of energ dance through it.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have force resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain force resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a force effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane force is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Badger Claws
    Your front apendates take a wider shape and nails gorw toucher and pointed.
    ___
    - **Cost:** class level
    - **Residual Cost:** 6 genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have a burrow speed
    - **Benefit:** Gain burrow speed 20 ft. Any tunnnel you form maintains its shape and can be used by others of your size or smaller.
    - **Empower:** By expending a slot gain burrow speed equal to 10ft per slot level. Addtionally they can now burrow through solid rock.

#### Blacken Soul
    Your eyes take on a dead light, glowing an unnatural color.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have necrotic resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain necrotic resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a necrotic effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane necrotic is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Breath Gland
    You grow a gland containing elemental energies or gases
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have breath weapon
    - **Benefit:** Gain the breath weapon the genetic material's creature determines damage type and shape. Length is 15ft for cone or 30ft for line. The damage is determined by slot expended.
    - **Empower:** Expend slot to use breath. Breath deals 2 die of damage per level. Every odd level past the 1st the range doubled.

#### Choker's Grasp
    Your arm bones become springy and hands grow larger more able to grasp things.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Grab or special ability to benefit grappling.
    - **Benefit:** Gain proficiency bonus to any check related to grappling.
    - **Empower:** By expending a slot, as a bonus action, to gain a special bonus to your next grapple, effect last to the end of the grapple.
    1st level slot: you may perform a grapple without gaining the grappled condition yourself.
    2nd level slot: As 1st and you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC from the grappled creature.
    3rd level slot: As 2nd but bonus is +2.
    4th level slot: As 3rd and may deal bite damage as bonus action.
    5th level slot: As 4th and damage is doubled for first 4 instances of damage.
    6th level slot: As 5th but doubled damage has no limit.
    7th: As 6th and damage is triple base for first 4 instances of damage.
    8th level slot: As 7th but tripled damage has no limit.
    9th: As 8th and attempt to kill the target they are grappling as an attack action, the target must constitution save vs 10 + your grapple bonus or die instantly.

#### Combat Instinct
    Your body has become abnormally sensitive to danger.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have positive initiate bonus.
    - **Benefit:** Gain initiative proficiency.
    - **Empower:** When initiative is rolled you may instead spend a slot to treat your roll as 6 + twice the level of the slot (max 20).
    If a 8th level slot is spent you negate the surprised condition on you and your adjacent allies.
    If a 9th level slot is used: As 7th and the first round everyone but the gourmand is surprised but they do not lose the surprised condition at the end of the first round. On the second round the surprised condition functions as normal check for surprise if no one was attempting to hide their presence then the second round only the gourmand is not surprised.

#### Draconic Hide
    Your skin grows thick and scaly.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have physical resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain physical resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a physical effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane physical damage is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Eldritch Converter
    ___
    - **Cost:** 2 x class level
    - **Residual Cost:** 8 genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have spell-like abilities, or the abiltiy to cast spells.
    - **Benefit:** Convert 4 genetic material into 1 spell slot level.
    - **Empower:** None
    - **Special:** This can be taken once per bonus action you have.

#### Elastic Structures
    Your rigid internal structure gain a elastic quality reducing the negative effects of sound.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have thunder resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain thunder resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a thunder effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane thunder is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Faceless Stranger
    You mutate into the appearance of another.
    ___
    - **Cost:** 1/2 chosen creatures genetic material
    - **Residual Cost:** All chosen creatures genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** None
    - **Benefit:** You take the likeness of the chosen creature, this change is purely cosmetic and functions solely as a disguise. If taken as adaptive mutation you gain the likeness until the next rest. You cannot benefit from any other mutation while in the form, or from any racial traits you have youself.
    - **Empower:** By expending a slot gain traits based on the creature you have taken the likeness of. If taken as a adaptive mutation the slot is expended when the form is taken. If taken as a residual mutation the slot is spent at the end of every long rest, and last until the end of the next long rest.
    A 2nd level slot grants the benefits of alter self spell, but the form must be that of the creature.
    A 4th level slot grants the benefits of polymorph spell, but the form must be that of the creature.
    A 9th level slot grants the benefits of shapechange spell, but the form must be that of the creature.

#### Fins of the Laviathan
    A dorsal fin and webbing forms between your digits.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have a swim speed
    - **Benefit:** Gain twice your normal athletics bonus for swim checks. Swim checks take the same action as walking.
    - **Empower:** By expending a slot gain swim speed equal to 10ft per slot level.

#### Frightening Presence
    Wicked growths or an imposing form enhance your ability to strike fear in your enemies.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have proficeiny intimidate.
    - **Benefit:** Increase itimidate proficiency by 1 step.
    - **Empower:** By expending one slot you may gain a frightening presence with a range of 5ft times slot level squared. The DC is 8 + your intimidate bonus. Empower benefits last till the next rest.

Spoiler
    Show

#### Legendary Action [Chosen Action]
    Your greatness take form.
    ___
    - **Residual Cost:** 10 genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have legendary actions
    - **Benefit:** Gain the ability to make the chosen legendary action. The action is chosen upon taking this mutation.
    - **Empower:** Utilizing the legendary action requires a sepll slot 1/3 your class level to be expended. Max level 9. Min level 1.
    - **Special:** This can be taken multiple times granting a new legendary action each time.

#### Legendary Reistance [Chosen Action]
    Your perfection is uncathed by the attaks of others.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have legendary actions
    - **Benefit:** As a reaction once per long rest succeed on a failed save.
    - **Empower:** As a reaction on a failed save, expend a slot to succeed on a failed save. You must expend a slot of a level equal to 1/3rd the level/CR of the creature rounded up.

#### Magical Consumption
    You grow organs capable of consuming magical energy.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must magical abilities or spell casting
    - **Benefit:** When you fail to save vs a spell, you may consume the effect by making a dispel check per the spell dispel, as a reaction. The roll is made with just constitution modifier. consumed magic
    - **Empower:** 1st level slot: Use constitution ability check.
    2nd level slot: As 1st and gain a slot 1/2 the level of the consumed effect.
    3rd level slot: As 2nd and applies to magical abilities.
    4th level slot: As 3rd and gain a slot at 1/3th level of the consumed effect.
    5th level slot: As 4th and can be used when anyone in 30ft fail a similar save.
    6th level slot: As 5th and gain a slot at 1/4th level of the consumed effect.
    7th level slot: As 6th and range increases to 60ft.
    8th level slot: As 7th and gain a slot at 1/5th level of the consumed effect.
    9th level slot: As 8th and range increases to 120ft.

#### Magical Rejection Field
    You grow organs capable of repelling magical energy.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must magical abilities or spell casting
    - **Benefit:** Gain advantage on saves vs spells and magical effects.
    - **Empower:** If both rolls would have succeded, you may expend an equal level slot, as a reaction, to reflect the effect back on the source. A magical effect's level is 1/2 the HD of the source creature, to a max of 9.

#### Nails Like Razors
    Your nails grow hard and sharp akin to claws.
    ___
    - **Residual Cost:** 3 genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have a claw attack.
    - **Benefit:** Gain the ability to make 2 claw attacks dealing 1d4 slashing and peircing damage. You have proficiency with the attacks.
    - **Empower:** As a bonus action expend a slot. 1st level slot: Gain advantage on your next attack and is magic.
    2nd level slot: Gain advantage and increase damage die by 1 step, for all claw attacks made until the end your next turn.
    3rd level slot: As 2nd but makes claws +1 and lasts 3 rounds.
    4th level slot: As 3rd but lasts until next rest.
    5th level slot: As 4th but makes claws +2.
    6th level slot: As 5th and damage increase an additional step.
    7th level slot: As 6th but makes claws +3
    8th level slot: As 7th and damage increase an additional step.
    9th level slot: As 8th and double your reach.

#### Powerful Legs
    Your skin becomes scally red and black guarding form the flames.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have athletics proficiency
    - **Benefit:** Your long jump is up to 30 ft. and its high jump is up to 15 ft., with or without a running start.
    - **Empower:** Expend a slot to multiply the distance of the next jump by 2^slot level. Regardless of distance you take no fall damage when landing from this jump.

#### Regal Splendor
    Your form and natural pois breed a air
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have proficeiny diplomacy.
    - **Benefit:** Increase diplomacy proficiency by 1 step.
    - **Empower:** By expending one slot you may gain a regal presence with a range of 5ft times slot level squared. The DC is 8 + your diplomacy bonus. Empower benefits last till the next rest.

#### Salamander Scales
    Your skin becomes scally red and black guarding form the flames.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have fire resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain fire resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a fire effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane flame is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Span of Roc
    Enourmous wings sprout form you back.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have a fly speed
    - **Benefit:** You no longer suffer fall damage and can glide 20ft per 5ft of downward movement.
    - **Empower:** By expending a slot gain fly speed equal to 10ft per slot level.

#### Splendor of the Phoenix
    Your body radiates a glow of purity.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have Radiant resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain Radiant resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a Radiant effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane Radiant is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

Spoiler
    Show

#### Thick Hide
    Your skin thickens, has small plates appear on it, or any number of abnormal coveerings.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have natural armor
    - **Benefit:** While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
    - **Empower:** Increase AC by 1 per 2 slot levels.

#### Thunderbird's Plumage
    Your skin grows magnificent plumage of midnight blue discharging random shocks of lightning.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have lightning resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain lightning resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a lightning effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane lightning is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Towering Form
    You grow in size
    ___
    - **Cost:** 4 x class level
    - **Residual Cost:** 20 genetic material
    - **Prerequisite:** Must be of a size larger than you
    - **Benefit:** Size category increases by 1 step.
    - **Empower:** By spending atleast a 3rd level slot increase in size by 1 step per 3 spell levels.

#### Unassuming Guise
    You become meek unnoticed among those around you.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have proficeiny bluff.
    - **Benefit:** Increase bluff proficiency by 1 step.
    - **Empower:** By expending one slot you may gain a unassuming presence with a range of 5ft times slot level squared. The DC is 8 + your bluff bonus. Empower benefits last till the next rest.

#### Viper's Blood
    Your blood gains a slight green ting as it becomes partially innured from poison effects.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have poison resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain poison resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a poison effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane poison is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

#### Walrus Blubber
    Your body distributes an uncommon amount of fat under your skin forming a protective layer.
    ___
    - **Prerequisite:** Must have cold resistance or immunity
    - **Benefit:** Gain cold resistance.
    - **Empower:** When affected by a cold effect ignore the effect by expending a spell slot matching the level of the effect. A mundane cold is treated as a spell of 1/2 its number of damage die.

## Rule Variants
    ### Universal Material
    With this rule variant any genetic material can be used for any mutation, regardless of original creature traits. While this allows for more freedom of mutations it may require level restrictions on when some mutations can be taken.

DM's applying such limitations should reference similar creatures and when they gain the abilities.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-05-16 at 03:28 PM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The Daredevil
    "Let me guess. You thought I was dead."
    - Ovalchase Daredevil; Magic: the Gathering

Daredevils are not like their other nonmagical brethren, instead they are simply insanely lucky. By rights, they should not be alive, having less actual ability than an ordinary fighter, monk or rogue and yet a grim determination and/or exceptional derring-do which, combined with several hundred times the recommended dose of luck, sees them through.

Adventures: Daredevils are born to adventure, having a natural near-immunity to danger and a healthy dose of sheer dumb luck.

Characteristics: Daredevils have few real abilities, but instead they are always just lucky enough to have everything go the way that they want it to.

Alignment: Any. That said, daredevils tend towards the chaotic in results, regardless of their intent.

Religion: Gods of luck are the most common deities among daredevils.

Background: Daredevils are simply extremely lucky people, who never have to learn to be competent because they have enough luck to see them through either way.

Races: Any.

Other Classes: Daredevils are usually disliked by those who have to work for their talents., though they find some common ground with sorcerers.

Role: A daredevil provides a party with utility abilities, and has a knack with skills as well.

Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per daredevil level.
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier.
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifer for each daredevil level after 1st.

Proficiencies
    Armour: Light armour
    Weapons: Simple weapons
    Tools: Any gaming set.
    Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
    Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Deception, Performance, Religion or Stealth.
    Special: Daredevils are proficient in initiative checks.

Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

a) A handaxe or b) 10 javelins
    a) A dungeoneering kit or b) an explorer's kit
    Any gaming set.
    A handaxe, a dagger and leather armour.

Level Proficiency Bonus Features Tricks Known
    1st +2 Daredevil Tricks, Righteous Desperation, Shrug Off 1
    2nd +2 Just Plain Lucky 1
    3rd +2 Lucky Charm 2
    4th +2 Ability Score Increase 2
    5th +3 Uncanny Dodge 3
    6th +3 Better Lucky than Smart, Lucky Stars (19-20 *3) 3
    7th +3 Evasion 4
    8th +3 Ability Score Increase 4
    9th +4 Charm Feature 5
    10th +4 Better Lucky than Strong, Lucky Stars (18-20 *4) 5
    11th +4 Second Guess 6
    12th +4 Ability Score Increase 6
    13th +5 Charm Feature 7
    14th +5 Better Lucky than Clever, Lucky Stars (17-20 *5) 7
    15th +5 Double Down 8
    16th +5 Ability Score Increase 8
    17th +6 Charm Feature 9
    18th +6 Better Lucky Than Tough, Lucky Stars (16-20 *6) 9
    19th +6 Ability Score Increase 10
    20th +6 Escape Unscathed 10

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the daredevil.

Daredevil Tricks
    Through your learning, experience, or sheer dumb luck, you learn tricks, which are abilities which either give you some benefit or which add new abilities. At first level, and every second level after first, you gain a new trick. You may as a bonus action swap choose a trick you know and replace it with one you don't know, so long as you still meet the prerequisites for all your tricks afterwards. Once you do this, you must complete at least a short rest before you can do so again. Tricks are detailed in their own section below.

Righteous Desperation
    A daredevil is committed to using more traditional means to solve tasks rather than resorting to magic. You must not activate any magical item, equip any magical armour or shield, attack with any magical weapon, use any spell or supernatural abilty, or willingly accept a spell or supernatural ability. If you do, you forfeit all your daredevil class features, and regain them at only one level per day. You must adventure normally to regain your class features.

In return, the daredevil learns to make use of what is available. The daredevil can find an improvised version of any simple weapon in one minute, though the item only lasts for 5 attacks (1 if thrown) before breaking. Similarly, the daredevil can find improvised tools to perform tasks which require tools. The daredevil takes no penalty for using improvised items. Also, the daredevil is completely immune to the Frightened condition.

Shrug Off
    You are able to shrug off abilities which would hinder incapacitate a lesser fighter. This allows you to do one of the following:

- Pay hit points to negate one of the listed conditions. If the duration of the condition is permanent, you must pay double the listed price unless the condition is already one which never has a duration (Dead, Grappled, Petrified, Prone, Restrained, or Unconscious)
    - Pay hit points to negate all of the effects of a spell before any rolls are made for that spell. In this case, if the spell would do more damage than the amount of hit points paid to negate it, it deals that much damage and the rest of its effects are negated.

Shrugging an effect off requires no action - just like deciding who to attack, it's done as part of the resolution of the attack. You must have enough hit points to pay the cost of the shrug off ability.

Effect Cost
    Ability Damaged 5/point
    Blinded 20
    Charmed 10
    Dead 50
    Deafened 10
    Frightened 0 (See Righteous Desperation)
    Grappled 10
    Incapacitated 20
    Paralysed 20
    Petrified 50
    Poisoned 10
    Prone 5
    Restrained 20
    Spell Lv 0 5
    Spell Lv 1 11
    Spell Lv 2 18
    Spell Lv 3 26
    Spell Lv 4 35
    Spell Lv 5 45
    Spell Lv 6 56
    Spell Lv 7 68
    Spell Lv 8 81
    Spell Lv 9 105
    Unconscious and Dying 40
    Unconscious and Stable 30

For example, a daredevil who is subject to a Power Word: Kill spell can either pay 105 hit points, or pay 50 hit points, or die. Of course, if the daredevil has enough hit points to pay 105, the spell wouldn't have any effect anyway!

Just Plain Lucky
    A daredevil has amazing luck when attempting anything exceptionally difficult. You add half your proficiency bonus to all d20 rolls, up to a maximum of whatever bonus would allow you to succeed on a natural roll of a 15. For example, a daredevil with an intelligence bonus of +0 and a proficiency bonus of +4 would add an extra +2 when attempting a DC 20 check they weren't proficient with, but only +1 (enough to pass on a 15) when attempting one they were proficient with.

Lucky Charm
    At 3rd level, a you choose a lucky charm, which gives you a variety of abilities at 3rd, 9th, 13th and 17th level. This lucky charm is the daredevil's source of luck, or at least object of superstition.

Ability Score Increase
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 10th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Uncanny Dodge
    Beginning at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.

Better Lucky than Smart
    Beginning at 6th level, you gain proficiency in intelligence saves.

Lucky Stars
    From sixth level, you score a critical hit on an attack roll of a 19 or 20, and you roll the dice three times instead of twice. Every four levels thereafter, the number you need to roll for a critical hit is reduced by 1, and you roll the dice an extra time.

Evasion
    Starting at 7th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a red dragon's fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Better Lucky than Strong
    Beginning at 10th level, you gain proficiency in strength saves.

Second Guess
    Daredevils are exceptionally lucky, rather than relying on actual skills. From 11th level, you gain advantage on all attack rolls and skill checks while in immediate danger.

Better Lucky than Clever
    Beginning at 14th level, you gain proficiency in wisdom saves.

Double Down
    Daredevils are good at getting out of harm's way. From 15th level, anyone who attacks you gets disadvantage on the attack roll and you get advantage on all saving throws.

Better Lucky than Tough
    Beginning at 18th level, you gain proficiency in constitution saves.

Escape Unscathed
    At 20th level, you take half damage from all attacks, or no damage at all when you use Uncanny Dodge. Your Shrug Off costs are halved.

Tricks

Each trick lists prerequisites, its effect, and any special information about the trick if there is any. The italicised description is not rules text; it's simply a description of what the trick does for roleplaying purposes.

Always Alert
    You're always just alert enough to notice something just before it strikes.
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 5th
    Benefit: Whenever you would enter combat, you can take a full turn before anything else happens in the combat.
    Special: Multiple creatures with this trick take the extra turns in initiative order.

Contagious Luck
    Your capabilities influence your allies too.
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 9th
    Benefit: Allies within 30 feet get a +1 bonus to all d20 rolls, up to a maximum of whatever bonus would allow them to succeed on a roll of a natural 15. Whenever such an ally scores a critical hit, they roll three damage rolls instead of two.
    Special: Your allies still get this benefit if you are helpless or unconscious but not if you're dead.

Daedalus Wings
    You can make better wings
    Prerequisites: Icarus Wings trick.
    Benefit: Your speed with the Icarus Wings improves to 60 feet and they can sustain 60 points of fire damage in a single round before breaking.

Deflecting Fortune
    You are lucky enough that people who attempt to attack you soon regret it.
    Prerequisites: None
    Benefit: Whenever an attack fails to affect you (you save to negate it, the attacker doesn't beat your AC, you're immune to the attack or otherwise the attack intended to have a direct effect on you doesn't), roll a d20 and add your proficiency bonus. If you roll a 20 or more, the attack is returned on the attacker. If it's an area of effect or multiple target attack, it only hits the caster (and other original targets) anyway. For example, if a wizard launches a fireball straight at you, and each of you has an allied fighter behind you, and you save against the fireball, then your fighter ally and the wizard (but not the wizard's fighter ally) are struck and both are entitled to a save as normal.

Escape Death
    You're very hard to kill
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 15th
    Benefit: If you're killed, you turn out not to have been dead and wake up 3d6 minutes later at 1 hit point. To all inspection, you are still dead for those minutes. You must complete a long rest before you can use this trick again.

Find Yourself
    You get lost often, but you often find yourself somewhere unrelated, but useful to where you need to go.
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 7th
    Benefit: When you're in the wilderness or any other location where one could reasonably lose their way, you can get lost and find yourself 10 minutes later in any location within 20 miles, and even you don't know how you got there. From level 9 the limit becomes 200 miles, from 11th level it is removed and from 13th level you can accidentally stumble onto another plane.

Gotta try...
    You can use totally unfamiliar items.
    Benefit: You can operate any item you come across even if its workings are unfamiliar to you, though you take the usual penalty for using a magic item deliberately (but not if you don't know it's magical).

Hidden Talent
    You can use skills you've previously shown no proficiency in.
    Benefit: You can use a skill you aren't proficient in as though you were proficient in it. Once you've done so, you can't do so again until you've completed a short or long rest.

Icarus Wings
    You craft yourself a set of wings that allow you to fly
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 5th
    Benefit: You can craft wings, causing you to get a fly speed of 30. 20 or more fire damage to the wings in a single round destroys them, though it only takes 10 minutes to make a new set. Flying in this way requires both hands, though they can still be used to carry items and even fight.

It's a dud!
    Your opponents find that their equipment malfunctions at the worst of times.
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 11th.
    Benefit: An opponent who tries to use a mechanical piece of equipment or an activated (except use-activated) magic item finds that it malfunctions unless they pass a dexterity save (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier). This effect only takes place when they use the equipment against you, or within 10 feet per level of you. A trap takes a dexterity save with its creator's save bonus unless its own is higher; failure indicates that it too fails to function.

An item that malfunctions is expended (crossbows must be reloaded, traps must be reset through whatever method, and charges of items are lost) but does nothing.

Just as Planned!
    You know where to place a trap to make sure a creature stumbles into it.
    Benefit: Whenever you set a trap, choose up to two locations per level to put it instead of just one. The trap is only actually in one of those locations. Whenever a creature, friend or foe, would discover, or set off, the trap if it were at one of the locations, you have two options: unmark that location as a possible location of the trap, or decide that the trap really is at that location and the creature has just set it off.

For example, the "Razor wire across hallway" trap has triggers in two adjacent squares (because the wire is 10 feet long). It's possible for a second-level daredevil to decide to put razor wire in (0,0) and (0,1) as well as in (0,1) and (1,1), (2,2) and (3,3), and (2,3) and (3,2), even though two of the wires share a space, and the other two cross over. Only one of these locations actually contains the razor wire. For example, if a creature enters (0,1), the daredevil can decide that the first wire is real, in which case the creature takes 2d6 slashing damage and (0,0) - and no other space - still contains wire (and will do 2d6 damage to the next creature to enter whether the daredevil likes it or not), or that the second wire is real, in which case the same is true of (1,1) instead of (0,0), or that neither wire is real and one of the other two is. Therefore, (2,2)-(3,3) and (2,3)-(3,2) are possible wire locations.
    Special: When there's only one possible location for the trap, the trap is in that location and there's no opportunity to decide that you never actually set the trap at all.

DMs should be reasonable about what is and isn't a trap. Caltrops and contact poison smeared on walls or floors are traps; creatures arranged so as to ambush someone, or the arrangement of creatures such that they might ambush someone, aren't (even if they may be a "trap" in common parlance).

One Last Time...
    You can repair something so that it works just one more time...
    Prerequisites: Gotta Try... trick
    Benefit: You can use a broken item, even one which should by all rights not work, such as a vehicle or even a magic item (though you will suffer the effects of your righteous desparation, this hasn't stopped more than one daredevil from using smashed artifacts or loosing rampaging golems and sitting back and watching the chaos unfold as their luck leaves them). Roll a relevant tools check - even without the relevant tools to hand - as an action: the result of the check is the number of hit points you grant to the item, up to its maximum hit points (but see special). However, it takes a single point of true damage every single round from your haphazard job at fixing it. True damage cannot be prevented, resisted or mitigated by any means. You can continue to try to fix the item, but a DC 20 tool check - only restores 1d6 hit points, plus 1d6 per 5 points by which you beat the DC, and only up to its maximum hit points (for real this time). When the item has hit points, it can be operated normally, but once it runs out, it is torn to pieces for real and no amount of nonmagical repair is likely to fix it.
    Special: If you would grant the item hit points in excess of its normal total, you instead restore it to full and give it temporary hit points equal to the difference, which only protect against the true damage and last until they run out - that is, in a number of rounds equal to the number of temporary hit points that remain.

Perfect Weather
    The weather is always in your favour.
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 13th
    Benefit: The weather within 1 mile is always exactly as you choose, except that it must be some kind of weather that normally appears in the region. For example, you couldn't create a blizzard or a sandstorm in a hot region with no deserts nearby. Further, you can't create massive, unnatural gaps in the type of weather available, such as having a hurricane which suddenly dissipates into no wind at all at its edge, or a several-degree temperature drop.
    Special: Two daredevils within 2 miles of each other using this trick choose the weather effects according to which one is closer. Magical control of the weather - indeed, such as using the control weather spell - prevents this ability functioning in that area for the duration.

Signature Gear
    You are inseparable with your gear - literally.
    Benefit: Choose one item. You add half your proficiency bonus to attack rolls with that weapon, or to armour class while using that item or shield, or to skill checks using that tool or kit. Further, if a creature loses that item (that is, misplaces, rather than deliberately surrenders to another creature), it makes its way back to your possession at an average speed of 10 miles per hour, whether by rolling, moving through rivers, or being carried by passersby.
    Special: You cannot choose magic items or items which you cannot actually operate. Ideally, you should choose items which are important to you directly, not just which you are entrusted with.

Spontaneous Combustion
    "By the way, your house is on fire."
    Benefit: You gain the extraordinary ability to make things catch on fire - in reality, everything just happens to go right: you accidentally dropped a cigar in a place which later makes the building catch on fire when you need it; you created a small friction fire walking across something which only became relevant later, or something just caught on fire for a reason which was ostensibly nothing to do with you.

You may cause a fire to break out. The fire is candle-fire-size at first level, about a foot across at third level, and 5 feet across per two levels after 3rd. You needn't create the largest fire available. Once you've done this, you can't do it again until you've completed a short rest (any more often would stretch credibility, even for you).

Irrespective of the fire size, each creature and object in the fire takes 1d6 points of fire damage when it is created. The fire then continues to burn, and flammable creatures and objects in the area catch on fire.
    Special: Due to your immense luck, you aren't caught in your own initial fire, though you might take damage from the normal fire as objects catch on fire.

Trump Card
    Your luck at games of chance or even skill is legendary.
    Benefit: Whenever you play a game with even a moderate element of luck (such as any card game, any game involving dice, and generally a game with randomness beyond simple decisions of, for example, the first player) you add your proficiency bonus to the roll, in addition to the bonus for actually being proficient, and you have advantage on the check.

Unnoticeable
    Creatures don't tend to notice you.
    Benefit: Enemies don't notice your presence - as though you were invisible and inaudible - unless you attack them, they focus on an object that they can't see because you're in their way, another creature points you out, you try to get their attention, or they physically bump into you. When a creature notices you, they continue to do so until you either hide from them successfully or attain total concealment from them.

Wing and a Prayer
    You can give yourself up to luck when a task is beyond you.
    Prerequisites: Daredevil level 15th
    Benefit: Once per hour, you can give your fate up to luck. You double your bonus (from proficiency bonus, ability scores, and so forth) to a single d20 roll, but if you fail that roll, you can't use this ability again until you've completed a long rest.
    Special: You cannot use this on any roll which isn't based on success or failure, such as an initiative check.

Xykon's Gambit
    You can use attacks that would normally catch you in their area without hurting yourself
    Benefit: You are immune to your own attacks (except attacks which deal true damage). If you use an ability which breaks your vow, then you still get immunity from that attack before you lose your class features.
    Special: Unfortunately, you still can't craft yourself a magic item that makes you immune to that sort of damage.

You Know What to Do
    Your relationships can grow so strong that your allies instinctively understand what you would want from them.
    Benefit: Any creature you have met understands what you would want them to do in certain situations - in effect, you are fortunate enough that they realise what you want of them. In practicaly terms, what this means is that you can send a short message every hour to each creature you've ever met. For example, you could send the king of Somewhere a message, then half an hour later send the president of Someplace Else a message because they're two separate creatures. You'd have to wait another half an hour to send the king of Somewhere a second message, or a whole hour to send the president of Someplace Else a message. Essentially, the characters' bond with you isn't strong enough that they constantly know your every desire, only the most important ones.
    Special: Technically, there's no reason why someone would stop knowing what you'd want while you're dead, so you can still use this ability when you are. Your memory will have a lasting impact on the world so long as anyone who remembers you from when you were alive is still there to talk about it.

Lucky Charms

Daredevils are always lucky, but their lucky charms have a luck all of their own. A variety of items are suitable as lucky charms, and they always seem to make their own luck to go with the daredevil's. That said, the daredevil can always find a new one if the old one should be lost - and it always seems to be just as lucky as the previous one. Whether they are mere placeboes or really alter the fundamentals of luck, they are invaluable for a daredevil.

A lucky charm is an actual item which the daredevil steals, is gifted with, inherits, finds by sheer coincidence or otherwise obtains at 3rd level. A daredevil who loses a lucky charm can find a conveniently-located replacement with 1 minute of searching.

The Bag of Useful Items

A bag of useful items is a backpack which you - or someone else - filled up with just the right combination of gear to get you through whatever tasks you're about to face. Only you know what's in the bag, and you're not telling. Instead, you withdraw the items when they're needed, to the great surprise of your allies.

The Right Tools...
    The bag of useful items can contain items in the ordinary manner just as any other container can. However, its real trick is that it has been specially packed to contain just the right combination of equipment for whatever situation you find yourself in. From third level, when you gain the bag, you can withdraw up to the square of your level in platinum pieces' worth of equipment (Remember that 1pp=10gp=100sp=1000cp). However, these items must be items whose use is in some way limited, or they will break after just three uses (or an hour of continuous use), and they are not of high enough quality to sell or use as spell components (material or focus); money withdrawn from the bag is clearly fake when examined closely but could be used as a distraction. Items that couldn't reasonably fit in the bag can't be withdrawn from it, but items whose total weight could not possibly have been carried between them, or which could not collectively have fit in the bag, can be withdrawn separately. Don't ask how you do it. DMs should be reasonable when deciding what can be drawn from the bag and what can't; flooding a room with 1000 cplv-1/2 (unit cancellation is weird) is probably not acceptable.

After a long rest, your bag's ability to produce items is replenished. Items withdrawn from the bag invariably sustain some kind of damage or degrade overnight, making them unusable.

Examples of items which can be withdrawn from the bag include arrows, tools (which will break after 3 uses), weapons (which will break after 3 uses), ropes (which break after an hour's use), grappling hooks, healer's kits, a change of clothes (which will break after an hour wearing them), food or drink, candles, caltrops, blankets, ladders (which break after an hour's use) or locks (which will only hold a door for an hour before degrading, but that might still be of use). This list is by no means exhaustive, and a player who comes up with more inventive ideas ("I pull a sled out of the bag and go sledding down the mountain!") shouldn't be discouraged! Further, just because an item isn't listed in Equipment doesn't mean it can't be pulled out of the bag (or, gods forbid, bought in a town); just be reasonable about the cost.

In Here Somewhere...
    From ninth level, withdrawing items from your bag never takes an action, and never requires you to take actions to use other objects later in the turn.

Resilient Gear
    From 13th level, items withdrawn from the bag last up to 6 uses, or 2 hours of continuous use, before breaking.

Adventurer's Artifact
    From 17th level, as well as its standard contents, your bag of useful items contains one of the following items:

- Alaine's Forcecutter: This dagger is made of nullstone, a substance which naturally destroys magical barriers it touches. Like other items, it breaks after 6 uses.
    - Jonah's Wallbreaker: This small orb is actually a sonic bomb which is harmless to creatures other than constructs, but easily breaks through inanimate objects. When thrown, it explodes on impact, dealing 20d6 points of sonic damage to each object within 20 feet that's part of a structure and 10d6 points of damage to each construct within 20 feet.
    - Morgan's Guide: This scroll contains a comprehensive guide to all information on a single creature or object of your choice.

The Tarot of Secrets

Unlike the Deck of Many Things, the Tarot has no actual magical power. However, it is rumoured that the seventy-eight card deck has some ability to read, or perhaps even determine, the future...

Read the Tarot
    From third level, you may read the tarot and draw three cards from it. If you have an actual tarot deck, you may draw two cards from it. If you don't, roll 1d80 ((1d8-1)*10+1d10-1) and re-roll any rolls of 79 or 80 and any duplicates.

If you draw one of the lesser secrets (the numbered or face cards in one of the four suits) you can, at any point after reading the tarot, replace some kind of roll made by yourself or a creature you can see with the number of the card plus 3. For this purpose, treat the page, knight, queen and king as 11, 12, 13 and 14 (so they replace rolls with 14, 15, 16 and 17). For example, any swords cards allow you to replace weapon attack rolls, so if you draw the 6 of swords, you can replace any weapon attack roll with a roll of a 9. If you draw the king of swords, you can replace any weapon attack roll with a roll of a 17.

If you draw one of the greater secrets (the cards with the individual names) then the effect of the card is clearly written in the entry. In any case, the roll replaced (if any) is the natural result of the roll, before any modifiers. You can use each card once, except for the High Priestess which can be used for every hit die you roll.

Once you complete a long rest, you can draw twice more from the Tarot but any cards drawn must be shuffled back in and you cannot use their effects again until you redraw them.

(1-14) The 1 to King of Swords: You can replace weapon attack rolls or saves against weapon attacks with the value of the card plus three.
    (15-28) The 1 to King of Batons/Wands/Staves: You can replace spell attack rolls or saves against spells with the value of the card plus three.
    (29-42) The 1 to King of Coins/Pentacles/Disks: You can replace skill checks or checks with tools with the value of the card plus three.
    (43-56) The 1 to King of Cups: You can replace any roll which is not a weapon or spell attack roll, a saving throw against a weapon or spell, a skill check or a check with tools with the value of the card plus three.
    (57) The Fool: You may replace the result of any d20 roll with 0.
    (58) The Magician: You may replace the result of any spell attack roll with 20 or any saving throw against a spell with 1.
    (59) The High Priestess: You may replace all of your own hit die rolls today with the maximum.
    (60) The Empress: You may replace any d20 roll made by a female creature with a 20, a d20 roll made by a male creature with a 0, or any other d20 roll with a 10. If a creature is both male and female, you replace their rolls with a 10.
    (61) The Emperor: You may replace any d20 roll made by a male creature with a 20, a d20 roll made by a female creature with a 0, or any other d20 roll with a 10. If a creature is both male and female, you replace their rolls with a 10.
    (62) The Hierophant: You may replace the result of any spell attack roll with 1 or any saving throw against a spell with 20.
    (63) The Lovers: You may replace the result of any charisma check or save with 20.
    (64) The Chariot: You may replace the result of any dexterity check or save with 20.
    (65) Strength: You may replace the result of any strength check or save with 20.
    (66) The Hermit: You may replace the result of any intelligence check or save with 20.
    (67) Wheel of Fortune: You may add (2d10-11) to any d20 roll or damage roll.
    (68) Justice: You may replace the result of any wisdom check or save with 20.
    (69) The Hanged Man: You may replace any damage roll with the maximum roll possible.
    (70) Death: You may replace the result of any death save with a 1.
    (71) Temperance: You may replace the result of any constitution check or save with 20.
    (72) The Devil: You may choose a damage roll and flip a coin. On heads, the damage roll is doubled; on tails, it's reduced to zero. Remember to consider any bonuses to damage separately from the roll.
    (73) The Tower: You may replace any damage roll with the minimum roll possible.
    (74) The Star: You may replace any d20 roll with 21, minus the actual roll.
    (75) The Moon: You may replace any d20 roll with a 20 at night-time or a 1 during the day.
    (76) The Sun: You may replace any d20 roll with a 20 during the day or a 1 during night-time.
    (77) Judgement: You may replace a d20 roll made by any creature sharing your alignment with a 20, a d20 roll made by a creature with an alignment different from yours on one axis with a 10, or a d20 roll made by a creature with an alignment different on both axes with a 0.
    (78) The World: You may replace any d20 roll with 25. If it's an attack roll, the attack is automatically a critical hit.

Extra Draws
    At each of 9th, 13th and 17th level, you can draw an extra card from the Tarot.

Token of Appreciation

A token of appreciation is an item given to someone symbolically to represent love, companionship, or gratefulness. It could be a small necklace, ring, or other piece of jewellery, but it might also be a small ornament or piece of crystal - in whatever case, it has little practical use beyond perhaps acting as a signet. These tokens are said to bless someone with companionship.

Contacts
    You have contacts almost anywhere that you go, and in fact you can almost always count on having someone available for the specific problem that you need solved! Whenever you consult a contact, you cannot consult another until you have completed a long rest.

A contact is an NPC with up to 1 hit die per full 3 daredevil levels you have, and the appropriate social status for a character of that many hit dice (hit dice may be limited by settlement size: a hamlet will not randomly produce 3 different level 6 characters in a day), and can be consulted in any location where it is reasonable to find members of their race and class (you should always be able to consult a contact in any kind of settlement). For example, it is reasonable to consult an elf cleric in a shrine to Larethian, even if that shrine is deep in the woods far from a settlement.

Contacts won't join you on your adventure or do anything with a more than routine chance of causing them harm (A soldier will happily enter a battle he thinks he's prepared for, but a merchant, even one who is uncannily good at combat, won't because they aren't used to putting themselves in harm's way). However, they will happily provide any services they offer, cast spells for you such that their total levels (cantrips count as half) are no more than half your daredevil level, and let you take up to 30 minutes/level of their time.

Here are some examples of possible contacts and the services they might provide:

• A thief you once adventured with (Rogue 3 Daredevil 1) agrees to steal an item you need for your quest.
    • The captain of the guard in a small city (Fighter 5) sends a squad of men (8 Warriors 2) to raid a criminal base after you tip him off.
    • A smuggler (Bard 2 Rogue 1) shows you a selection of wares not normally available in this location.
    • A master smith (Rogue 2) agrees to sell you items that other stores aren't stocking at the moment.
    • A powerful wizard (Wizard 6) agrees to show your party's wizard his spellbook to allow his spells to be copied.

This list is by no means exhaustive.

Remote Contact
    From 9th level, you may consult a second contact before requiring a long rest, and the requirement that contacts be in places where they could reasonably appear is relaxed - contacts instead appear in any place where they could have any reason at all to appear. For example, a merchant would only reasonably be expected to appear in a town, but might have reason to visit a dungeon if they knew there would be adventurers afoot in need of supplies.

Friends in High Places
    From 13th level, you may consult a third contact before requiring a long rest, and once out of these three times, you can call upon a contact with a social standing and prestige that would be expected of someone double their level.

I Know You!
    From 17th level, you may consult a fourth contact before requiring a long rest, and further, you may declare a creature on the spot to be your contact if they are within the level requirement. For example, if you must deal with a frustrating bureaucrat of fifth level, it may turn out that the bureaucrat is actually someone you've dealt with before and have a good reputation with. Doing this still uses one of your contacts for the day.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2018-05-10 at 05:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

The Marshal is made!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Okay this ended up a bit later than I expected, but the Inventor is done!

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkrjzSPnf

This is complex class, but only because of the high versatility and customization it affords! Do you want to build a zip-line to quickly scale cliffs or pull enemies to you? Have you ever wanted to soar through the air on mechanical wings? Do you often think that Dungeons and Dragons could be greatly improved if only it had flamethrowers? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, the Inventor is for you!

The Inventor lets you build gadgets and modify weapons and armor to suit your needs, and at later levels can quickly construct buildings, and even craft complex and powerful prosthetic they can attach to themselves. The three subclasses available to the Inventor are the Alchemist for all of your potion-crafting and bomb-throwing needs, the Black Powder Inventor for when your enemies are starving and the only thing you have for them to eat is lead, and the Physicist, for those who are simply too smart to take damage or miss attacks.

This class is, generally speaking, complete, but if anyone has solid critiques of the class, I'm more than willing to make a change for the better.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The Insurgent
    So, the idea here is that it's basically an anti-rogue. The rogue is all about getting yourself into advantageous situations and then bringing the house down, whereas the insurgent excels when their back is to the wall and the odds are against them. Hope you like it! Apologies about the presentation; I had to hack it together quickly to get it in for the deadline.

Dropbox link.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due at 11:59 pm on June May 23rd Eastern Standard Time. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    The Insurgent
    Apologies about the presentation; I had to hack it together quickly to get it in for the deadline.
    Just FYI, the deadline is a month from tomorrow -- it was previously TWO months from tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reserved for Dragon Disciple Entry

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Posting for a later submission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

I had originally intended to do a direct conversion of the PF Inquisitor class to 5E – it filled a niche in my campaign world. As I started the process, I kept tweaking things to better fit my vision on how the class should interact with my campaign world. The end result is the Seeker and it is very different in both mechanics and “feel” from its original source of inspiration, so much so that it doesn’t remotely resemble the original inspiration class. By happenstance, it fits the requirements for this contest in that it’s not a spellcaster and also is sub-par (in terms of damage potential) when it comes to combat.

So, what is a Seeker then? In short, a hunter of the occult and supernatural… but more so in the sense of identifying and protecting against than in (easily) destroying these foes. To the Seeker, any definition of the supernatural includes those who cast spells or use magic. The class is intended to play as very defensive with strong elements of battlefield control… ribbon abilities are mainly social interactions with some tracking/observation. Something maybe of interest… one of the main (“rock”) features, Baleful Ward, is really a thought experiment on what a passive version of the Rogue’s Sneak Attack would look like.

My class design “style” definitely trends towards gritty and spell-less, with an initial goal of being under-tuned. Inspiration for this class was pulled from a book called the “The Warded Man” by Peter Brett, the PFRPG Inquisitor and Occult classes, and various sources on the interwebz (include various other homebrews).

Please excuse any spelling or formatting issues... normally I just link to Homebrewery but I didn't want to cause any readability issues due to a reader not using the "correct" browser.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Seeker
    Level Proficiency Bonus Features Ward Damage Seeker Bonus
    1st +2 Baleful Ward, Guarding Ritual, Lesser Sigil 2d6 +2
    2nd +2 Declare Anathema 2d6 +2
    3rd +2 Inquisitional Order, Devotion 2d6 +2
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement 2d6 +2
    5th +3 Antediluvian Symbols, Life Burn 3d6 +2
    6th +3 Devotion 3d6 +3
    7th +3 Protective Ward 4d6 +3
    8th +3 Ability Score Improvement 4d6 +3
    9th +4 Purgatorial Rite 5d6 +3
    10th +4 Devotion 5d6 +3
    11th +4 Curse Breaker, Rebuke Anathema 6d6 +4
    12th +4 Ability Score Improvement 6d6 +4
    13th +5 Binding Sigil, Traitor Tongue 7d6 +4
    14th +5 Devotion 7d6 +4
    15th +5 Compelled Oath 8d6 +4
    16th +5 Ability Score Improvement 8d6 +5
    17th +6 Greater Sigil 9d6 +5
    18th +6 Devotion 9d6 +5
    19th +6 Ability Score Improvement 10d6 +5
    20th +6 True Speech 10d6 +6

Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per daredevil level.
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier.
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier for each seeker level after 1st.

Proficiencies
    Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
    Tools: None
    Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
    Skills: Choose three from Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Religion, Stealth, and Survival

Equipment

(a) leather armor or (b) scale mail
    (a) a greatsword or (b) mace and shield or (c) rapier
    (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
    (a) diplomat’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack or (c) a priest’s pack

Feature Ability
    As a seeker, unless otherwise noted, the saving throw difficulty check (DC) for your class features and special abilities is as follows:

Saving Throw DC: 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Multi-Classing
    To multi-class as a seeker, you must have both a Strength and Wisdom of 13 and meet the prerequisite(s) for your current class (as per the PHB, p163).

Class Features
    As a Seeker, you gain the following class features.

Baleful Ward
    The first rite of the seeker, you have been trained to draw upon the energies of primal order and creation to manifest a barrier of psychic energy as a guard against supernatural beings. As an action, you trace protective symbols in the air around you, creating a 5-foot-radius ward centered on you that lasts for 1 hour. These symbols faintly glow for the duration, shedding dim light 5 feet beyond the radius of your ward.

The ward causes extreme pain to creatures of the celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead type, dealing psychic damage equal to your current Ward Damage Die. The amount of damage the ward can inflict increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Ward Damage column of the Seeker table.

Damage is inflicted when a creature moves into the ward’s radius and each round a creature begins their turn within the area of effect. Intelligent creatures that can be affected by the ward are aware of its presence and can sense the boundary.

While your Baleful Ward is active, you can choose to suppress the effects until the start of your next turn by using a bonus action. The ward ends early if you are knocked unconscious.

Each time you activate your Baleful Ward, you reduce your pool of available Ward Damage dice by one. If you have no remaining Ward Damage dice, you can no longer activate your Baleful Ward. Your Ward Damage dice are also used to fuel other features, which may also temporarily reduce the dice available to your ward.

All expended Ward Damage dice are recovered after completion of a long rest.

Guarding Ritual
    You have gained knowledge in the primal symbols of creation, the language of the first born. By blending special salts, rare pigments, and silver with inks, you scribe glyphs into your flesh that serve to protect you from harm. You gain a bonus to your armor class that increases as you gain levels as a seeker, as shown in the Seeker Bonus column of the Seeker table.

Lesser Sigil
    Intended to warning beacon of supernatural danger, as an action you can place a psychic symbol on a creature which manifests as a lightly glowing runic character or image of your choice (though typically the sigil of your inquisition). The target is allowed a Charisma saving throw to resist the placement of the sigil. On a failed save, as long as the sigil is active, you know roughly where the target is within a mile radius. A creature can only be the target of your sigil once in a 24-hour period.

The target creature must be within 30 feet of you and the sigil may be placed on any exposed portion of the creature, though typically the head or a limb. A sigil can be hidden by clothing or removed by damaging the area (causing 1d6 points of slashing damage), though the sigil returns if this damage is healed.

You can have only a single sigil in existence at any one time, which lasts until you take a long rest, select a new target for a sigil, or cancel your current sigil as a bonus action.
    A sigil becomes permanent if it is placed on the same creature every day for a month.

Declared Anathema
    Beginning at 2nd level you have studied the supernatural and occult, gaining a profound insight into a particular group of creatures who you deem particularly evil or unnatural. At the end of each long rest, choose one creature type from the following groups: arcane spellcasters, celestials, divine spellcasters, elementals, fey, fiends, or undead. The selected creature type becomes an anathema for you until you complete your next long rest.

If at least one creature that is an anathema is within 60 feet of you and you are aware of its presence, you can use a bonus action to target the creature, which must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or suffer from the following:

• The anathema is outlined in glowing runes that shed dim light in a 5 foot radius, negating any benefit from being invisible or using the Hide action.
    • Whenever the anathema makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the declaration ends, it must roll a d4 and subtract the number rolled from the attack roll or saving throw.

Each time you use this feature, you reduce your Ward Damage dice pool by one. A declaration lasts for 1 minute and you may only have a single declaration active at any time. If you declare a second anathema, the original declaration immediately ends.

Inquisitional Order
    Starting at 3rd level you join an inquisitional order, a group individuals sharing a common covenant that have chosen to hunt the unnatural creatures that dwell at the edges of civilization, confronting the supernatural and occult. Inquisitional orders are detailed at the end of the class description.

Each of the inquisitional order is identified by a specific symbol or badge and grants you additional features, known as devotions, at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level.

Ability Score Improvement
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Antediluvian Symbols
    Beginning at 5th level, you have gained secret knowledge from when the universe was formed, fragments of the language of creation and the fundamental symbols that underlie the foundations of life and order within your mind.

Using an action, you select a single creature that you can see within 60 feet and trace a series of symbols in the air, which glow as you outline them. The symbols are linked to the targeted creature and have an effect of your choice, selected from the options below.

SYMBOL OF MAKING
    The target must make a Constitution saving throw, taking radiant damage equal to your maximum Ward Damage Dice on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful save. If the target is an anathema to you, this damage is double.

SYMBOL OF UNMAKING
    Any nonmagical objects that aren’t being worn or carried in a 15-foot-radius sphere take force damage equal to your maximum Ward Damage Dice. Objects that are destroyed turn into dark flecks of light before fading from existence.

SYMBOL OF NIHILITY
    The target must make a Wisdom saving throw and becomes frightened for 1 minute on a failed save. While frightened, the target must move at least 30 feet away from you on each of its turns, if able.

SYMBOL OF UNVEILING
    The target must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, the target’s mind becomes overloaded. The creature has disadvantage on Intelligence checks and Intelligence saving throws, and the creature behaves as if under the effects of the confusion spell during combat.

SYMBOL OF DREAMING
    The target must make a Wisdom saving throw or falls into a deep slumber for 10 minutes. A creature awakens if it takes damage or if someone uses an action to shake or slap it awake.

SYMBOL OF ETERNITY
    The target must make a Wisdom saving throw or be phased slightly out of the flow of time. On a failed save, the target acts last in the initiative order each round of the current encounter and cannot use their reaction. Any time the target is damaged or otherwise harmed, it can make an additional Wisdom saving throw to end the effect.

SYMBOL OF CALLING
    The target must make a Wisdom saving throw or feel compelled to approach you. The target must use its movement on each of its turns to move towards you. Once the target has reached you, it can’t willingly move away from you. Any time the target is damaged or otherwise harmed, it can make an additional Wisdom saving throw to end the effect.

The power of the symbols is such that they are banished from memory after using them, requiring you to meditate to regain the knowledge. You can use this feature twice between long rests starting at 5th level, three times between long rests starting at 11th level, and five times between long rests at 17th level.

Life Burn
    You learn to feed your ward with your very life essence. At 5th level when taking a short rest, you can spend one or more Hit Dice, up to half of your current number of Hit Dice. For each Hit Die spent in this way, you regain one of your Ward Damage Die. You cannot exceed your maximum Ward Damage Die in this manner.

Protective Ward
    At 7th level, you can create protective circles on a flat surface that ward against the unnatural. To draw a circle, you must outline the form using special chalks, salt, blood, powdered silver, or some other appropriate substance. Drawing a circle takes 1 minute and consumes one of your Ward Damage die.

Once completed, this circle functions per the magic circle spell with the following exceptions:

• Affected creature type also includes arcane or divine spellcasters as an option
    • The circle can only be used to keep creatures out

The circle remains until its form is physically broken. Only a creature not affected by the circle can break the ward; environmental effects can’t break it. You can have only one circle created in this way at a time. If you create a second circle, the first one loses all its power.

At 11th level, whenever you draw a protection circle, you can instead choose to create a binding circle. A binding circle consumes two of your Ward Damage dice and is intended to trap a creature inside the circle. A binding circle is invisible and if a creature of the corresponding type steps inside it, the circle triggers and binds the creature inside the circle. While it can move freely within the circle, it can’t leave the circle, make attacks against targets outside the circle, cast spells that cross the circle’s boundary (the circle blocks line of effect from the inside), or use any ability that would allow it to leave the circle or disturb the circle in any way. When the circle traps a creature in this way, the creature can attempt a Dexterity save to escape the circle before the binding takes hold.

By 14th level, you have learned to draw protective circles very quickly. You can draw a circle as an action, but any circle drawn in this manner only lasts for 1 minute.

Purgatorial Rite
    Starting at 9th level, you have learned to purify the dark and unnatural energies of those you slay, absorbing and dissipating the evil of their mortal deeds. When you slay an enemy, you may cleanse the corruption of that enemy by spending 1 minute adjacent to its corpse performing a special rite. You can choose to rush this process, performing it as an action, but you only gain half the normal benefit.

Cleansing the enemy heals you of a number of hit points equal to 1d8. The enemy must have been killed by you within the last hour, had an Intelligence greater than two, and at least as many Hit Dice as your Seeker Bonus. You can use this ability once for each enemy you kill.

At 12th level, the healing increases to 2d8; it increases to 3d8 at 15th level, 4d8 at 18th level, and to 5d8 at 20th level.

When you perform this rite a creature that could rise as an undead (such as someone slain by a vampire), you may choose to take 1 level of exhaustion to absorb the taint in the corpse, preventing it from rising as an undead. This also prohibits the body from being animated through such spells as animate dead.

Curse Breaker
    By 11th level you have honed your talents in regards to fighting off the effects of harmful magic used by supernatural foes. You have advantage on all saving throws against magic and, while your Baleful Ward is active, are immune to curses, being possessed, and charm effects.

Additionally, when you activate your Baleful Ward, you may spend additional Ward Damage die to extend the radius of effect. For each additional die you spend, the Baleful Ward’s radius increases by 5 feet.

Rebuke Anathema
    At 11th level, you gain the ability to rebuke creatures that you have declared anathema. As an At 11th level, you gain the ability to rebuke creatures that you have declared anathema. As an action, you present your inquisitional order’s badge or symbol and speak an ancient word of power, inflicting wracking pain on any creature that is an anathema that can see or hear you within 30 feet. All affected creatures must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed saving throw, a creature suffers psychic damage equal to your current Ward Damage dice and gains the poisoned condition for 1 minute.

Starting at 14th level, when an anathema fails its saving throw against your rebuke feature, you can instead opt to drive the creature back to its home plane (if it isn't there already) if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown in the Rebuke table. This does not affect arcane or divine spellcasters, who instead gain the blinded and deafened conditions for one hour.

You can use this feature once between long rests starting at 11th level and two times between long rests starting at 17th level.

Rebuke Table
    Seeker Level Anathema CR
    14th 2 or lower
    16th 3 or lower
    18th 4 or lower
    20th 6 or lower

Binding Sigil
    Starting at 13th level, by spending 10 minutes concentrating on a target marked by your lesser sigil, you gain the ability to perceive through its senses for as long as you actively focus on the link (as if maintaining a spell). As long as the creature is on the same plane of existence as you, you can see what the target sees and hear what the target hears.

While perceiving through the other creature’s senses, you benefit from any special senses possessed by that creature but are blinded and deafened to your own surroundings.

Traitor Tongue
    At 13th level, you are able to draw out hidden secrets from those you converse with. You can spend a Damage Ward die to bend the world around in such a way that you can project an aura that extends from you in a 15-foot radius. For 1 minute, any creature that enters the area or starts its turn there must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, the creature can’t speak a deliberate lie or utter the truth, your choice, while in the radius. You know whether each creature succeeds or fails on its saving throw.

Compelled Oath
    By 15th level your presence can compel creatures with similar ideals to your own to provide aid, giving you advantage on Deception, Intimidation, Investigation, and Persuasion checks as long as the creatures share your base alignment (good, evil, or neutral).

As part of this feature, once per long rest, you can force an oath on a creature with the same base alignment that you can see within 30 feet, forcing it to carry out some service or refrain from some action or course of activity as you decide. If the creature can understand you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become charmed by you for 24 hours. While the creature is charmed , it takes 2d8 psychic damage each time it acts in a manner directly counter to your instructions. A creature that can't understand you is unaffected by the spell.

You can issue any command you choose, short of an activity that would result in certain death. Should you issue a suicidal command, the effect immediately ends and the creature becomes hostile (if it was not already so).

You can end the oath early by using an action to dismiss it. A remove curse, greater restoration, or wish spell also ends it.

Greater Sigil
    At 17th level, your sigils are infused with powerful primal energies, greatly increasing their potency. In addition to the normal effects of your sigil, it now also acts as per the bestow curse spell if the target fails its saving throw.

The greater sigil’s bestow curse is only effective as long as the target is affected by the sigil.

True Speech
    You have heard fragments of the speech used at the dawn of time and can speak certain words of the language of creation perfectly, giving voice to powerful effects. By spending four Ward Damage dice, you can create the following effects, as per the spell of the same name: divine word, power word heal, power word stun, or power word kill.

Inquisitional Orders

Order of the Beacon
    Referred to as Witch Hunters by most commoners, those of the Order of the Beacon seek to contain the use arcane power by the weak willed, impure, or evil. Seeing magic as the primary source of misery in the world, the Order of the Beacon hunts down those who abuse spells and make use of enchanted items; for imprisonment or destruction if they are judged dark (and sometimes even if deemed benign). The great conundrum of this order is the need to understand and sometimes even use arcane power in order to best combat its foes, the temptation of forbidden magic in the eternal war to save.

Occult Lore
    Through your studies, you have accumulated a deep knowledge of the arcane and occult. Starting at 2nd level, you learn your choice of the Arcana, History, or Investigation skills and may choose a single cantrip from the wizard’s class spell list. Wisdom is your casting attribute for this spell.

Arcane Sight
    Starting at 6th level, while your Baleful Ward is active, you can sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.

This vision can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Spell Tracking
    Beginning at 10th level, you learn how to sense unique spell signatures, and can follow the trail of a cast spell or spell effect back to its source. Once per day, when you come into contact with or are exposed to a spell effect or a magic item, you can spend 1 minute examining the spell effect or magic item, you then gain the effect of a locate creature spell. You can do this even if the spell effect was instantaneous, but you must start your examination within 1 round of experiencing the spell’s effect.

Instead of locating a known creature, you locate the caster of the spell effect or magic item you examined. Doing so does not allow you to gain any knowledge in regards to the spell caster other than location.

Spell Breaker
    Beginning at 14th level, as a bonus action, you can augment your Baleful Ward with a shimmering layer of light which remains in effect until the start of your next turn. Any creature damaged by your ward that is concentrating on a spell, has a spell held as a readied action, or has remaining charges of a spell must make a successful Constitution save or lose the spell. This is in addition to any concentration checks required due to damage inflicted.

In addition, any spell of 5th level or lower cast from outside the ward can't affect you, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot. Such a spell can target you within your ward, but the spell has no effect on you. Similarly, you are excluded from the areas affected by such spells.

Augmenting your Baleful Ward in this manner consumes one Ward Damage die and lasts until the start of your next turn.

Bind Arcana
    At 18th level, when you successfully strike a creature capable of casting spells, the creature must make a Constitution save or lose the ability to cast spells until the end of its next turn.

If you strike a Magic item, the item is disabled for 1 hour. If the item has charges, it is not disabled, instead losing 1d6 charges.

Order of the Brand
    Those joining the Order of the Brand are focused on bringing war to the unnatural and heretical; facing the dark forces head-on with weapon and the certitude of belief. Seekers of this order excel in the martial arts, priding themselves on their combat abilities and skillful use of tactics. Often serving as bodyguards for other seekers or those who must confront the dark forces of the occult, those belonging to the Order of the Brand are always willing to shed blood to defend their convictions.

War Trained
    Well trained in the arts of combat, starting at 2nd level you have been taught a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one Fighting Style from the Fighter class. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Doom Ward
    Starting at 6th level, your Baleful Ward also serves as a font of vitality. While within your Baleful Ward, when you take damage that would drop you to 0 hit points, you instead drop to 1 hit point. Each time this effect triggers, your Ward Damage die pool decreases by two. If you do not have enough Ward Damage die in your pool when this feature triggers, it has no effect.

If you are subjected to an effect that would kill you instantaneously without dealing damage, that effect is instead negated and your Ward Damage die pool decreases by two and is extinguished, becoming unavailable until an hour has passed regardless of how many Ward Damage die remain.

Grim Determination
    By 10th level you have learned to greatly bolster a physical attribute of your choice by scribing powerful symbols of augmentation on your flesh. By spending 10 minutes placing these runes, you can increase one of your Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution scores by your Seeker Bonus.

An attribute cannot be increased beyond 22 through the use of this feature.

This effect lasts for one hour. Once you use this feature, you must finish long rest before you can use it again.

Occult Slayer
    Starting at 14th level, you have learned to use your Baleful Ward as a weapon. Once per turn, you can deal extra damage equal to your current Ward Damage Dice to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. When you use your ward in this manner, it dissipates and is unavailable until the start of your next turn.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Bane Weapon
    Beginning at 18th level, using a small amount of your blood mixed with the ashes of a supernatural creature, you perform a ritual and trace sigils of death on your weapon, turning it into a bane weapon. This ritual takes two hours and can be completed during a long rest, during which you choose which type of anathema the weapon is bane against. The bane lasts until such time as you rededicate the weapon to another anathema.

While wielding your bane weapon, you add your Seeker Bonus to all damage rolls with the Bane weapon and, when you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon against a creature that is anathema, the target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, double the damage of your attack against the creature.

In addition, the bane weapon glows brightly when an anathema is within 120 feet, even if the anathema is on another plane of existence or hidden by magical means.

A weapon that is already magic cannot be affected by the Bane Weapon feature. A bane weapon is only effective in the hands of the seeker that created it, to all others it is a mundane weapon.

Order of the Cowl

Necessary Lies
    Trained to infiltrate, deceive, and kill without weapons, you have gained a set of unusual abilities. Starting at 2nd level you learn to speak Thieves' Cant and gain proficiency with your choice of thieves' tools, disguise kit, or the poisoners kit.

In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against abilities that detect lies or reveal or force the truth, such as detect lies and zone of truth. If the feature does not allow a save, you can attempt a save, avoiding the effects on a success.

Hidden Ward
    Starting at 6th level, as a bonus action, you can suppress the outward appearance of your Baleful Ward such that it does not generate any light or have visible symbols. This effect lasts until the start of your next turn. While the ward is suppressed in this manner, creatures that would normally detect its boundary are unable to do so.

While your Hidden Ward is active, you have advantage on Sleight of Hand checks to manipulate or hide small objects.

Relentless Stalker
    At 10th level, you have attuned yourself to the presence of the supernatural, forever binding your senses to the dark and unseen powers that seek to go unnoticed in the world.

You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track Celestials, Elementals, Fey, Fiends, Spellcasters (both arcane and divine) and Undead, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. If you are actively tracking one of these creature types, you cannot be surprised by any creature of that type. You can only be tracking on type of creature at a time.

Obscuring Ward
    Starting at 14th level, you may use a bonus action to cause your Baleful Ward to bend light, making you invisible for 1 minute. This effect functions as per the spell greater invisibility and consumes two of your Ward Damage dice.

Unseen Hunter
    By 18th level, you have modified your Baleful Ward and perfected your talents such that you are a supreme hunter of the occult. When you activate your Hidden Ward, you have advantage on any attempts to Hide, are considered to be lightly obscured, and gain the benefits of Truesight to a distance of 30 feet.

By spending one of your Ward Damage die, you can create an area of darkness, similar to the darkness spell, though you do not need to concentrate to maintain the effect.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Here is a rogue reskin I call The Specialist, less combat oriented with specific subclasses are great for role-play and non-combat situations.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1XQeeBkG

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The Trapper

HIT POINTS
    Hit Dice: 1d10
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + CON
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + CON

PROFICIENCIES
    Armor: Light armor, shields
    Weapons: Simple Weapons
    Tools: Trapper's Tools

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
    Skills: Pick three from these: Animal Handling, Intimidation, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Sleight Of Hand, Stealth, Survival

EQUIPMENT
    -A) 50 feet of rope, or B) 10 1 lb. Rocks
    -A) a dagger, or B) any simple melee weapon
    -A) A light crossbow and 20 bolts, or B) any simple ranged weapon
    -Leather armor and Trapper’s Tools

Level Proficiency Bonus Features Traps Known
    1st +2 Expertise, Trapping 2
    2nd +2 Trapper School 3
    3rd +2 Better Trapping 3
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement 4
    5th +3 Greater stealth 4
    6th +3 Trapper School Feature, Better Trapping Improvement 4
    7th +3 Bigger Traps 5
    8th +3 Ability Score Improvement 5
    9th +4 Trapper School Feature 5
    10th +4 Hide In Plain Sight 6
    11th +4 Better Trapping Improvement 6
    12th +4 Ability Score Improvement 6
    13th +5 Bigger Traps Improvement 7
    14th +5 Trapper School Feature 7
    15th +5 Vanish 7
    16th +5 Ability Score Improvement 8
    17th +6 Trapping Specialty 8
    18th +6 Better Trapping Improvement 8
    19th +6 Ability Score Improvement 9
    20th +6 Bigger Traps improvement, Trapping Mastery 10

Expertise: At 1st level, choose three of your skill proficiencies, or a combination of a number of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with Trapper's Tools or Thieves' Tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

Trapping: At 1st level, you can make traps using your Trapper's Tools. Choose 1 trap from the Traps list at the end of the class description; You can set this trap as long as you have the requisite material components. When setting a trap, roll a dexterity check with your Trapper's Tools. This must succeed the requisite check DC in the trap's description or fail to make the trap. The DC to avoid the effects of or identify the trap is equal to 8 + your intelligence modifier + your proficiency bonus.

You obtain the ability to make more traps at higher levels, as noted in the Traps Known column of the Trapper table.

Trapper School: Starting at 2nd level, you learn to specialize your traps. Choose between the the Naturalist and the Tinker Trapper, both detailed at the end of the class description. You gain features from this school at 2nd level, and again at 6th, 9th, and 14th level.

Better Trapping: At 3rd level, your traps start to get better in a specific way. Choose one of the following effects.

-Bigger Traps: You can add 2 to the DC to set the trap and double the material cost per use: the size of creatures affected by this trap increases by 1 stage (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan). If they do not affect a single creature and instead have an area of effect, this instead increases that area of effect by 5' in every dimension.

-Loud Traps: You can add 2 to the DC to set the trap in order to have every creature within a 15' radius of the trap, upon its trigger, roll a constitution saving throw against your trap save DC or become deafened for the next minute.

-Painful Traps: Add 1 to the set trap DC: Your traps that deal damage deal an extra die of its damage type.

-Quicker Traps: Add 2 to the set trap DC: The time required to set a trap decreases by 1 round (6 seconds)

-Well-Hidden Traps: Add 2 to the set trap DC, and camouflage for the surrounding area to the requisite materials: When a creature rolls a perception check with the goal of spotting your traps, the DC is your trap save DC +1.

At 6th, 11th, and 18th levels, you choose one of these again. You can choose each effect unlimited times, and they do stack.

Ability Score Increase: When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 10th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two Ability Scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Greater Stealth: Starting at 5th level, you have advantage on stealth checks to hide and creatures have disadvantage on perception checks to spot you.

Bigger Traps: At 7th level, You can add 2 to the DC to set the trap and double the material cost per use: the size of creatures affected by your traps increases by 1 stage (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan). If they do not affect a single creature and instead have an area of effect, this instead increases that area of effect by 5' in every dimension. You gain this feature again at 13th and 20th levels (this stacks with the Better Trapping option of the same name).

Hide In Plain Sight: Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute creating camouflage for yourself. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt. plants. soot. and other naturally occurring materials with which to create your camouflage.

Once you are camouflaged in this way, you can try to hide by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks as long as you remain there without moving or taking actions. Once you move or take an action or a reaction, you must camouflage yourself again to gain this benefit.

Vanish: Starting at 14th level, you can use the Hide action as a bonus action on your turn. Also, you can't be tracked by non-magical means, unless you choose to leave a trail.

Trapping Specialty: At 17th level, choose 2 traps you know. You can always set these traps in 1/4 the setup time with half the requisite materials. Any damage they deal is maximized.

Trapping Mastery: Starting at 20th level, your traps are on another level entirely. You can set a trap in a single round that is unidentifiable and undetectable excepting magical means, and when activated any target of its effects suffers to maximum capacity (they take max damage and automatically fail any saving throws). After you use this ability twice, you can’t use it again until you complete a short rest.

The Disarmer: Using thieves' tools to disarm traps, you are an expert at breaking into places devoid of problems with traps- as long as you notice them, that is.

Remove Trap: At 2nd level, you gain proficiency in Thieves' Tools, and expertise in checks using them to disarm non-magical traps.

Keen Eye: Also at 2nd level, when you would roll perception to spot traps, you can have the roll automatically succeed. Once you have used this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Hidden Traps: At 6th level, all traps you set impose disadvantage on perception checks to spot the trap and saving throws to avoid them. This stacks with the Better Trapping option which does the same thing.

Rune Breaker: At 9th level, you gain expertise in checks using your Thieves' Tools to disarm magical traps such as runes.

Rule Breaker: At 14th level, you cannot have disadvantage on perception checks. Perception checks to look for traps even spot well-hidden traps and identify their trigger and effect.

The Naturalist: You make your traps off the land and can track your prey. Snares and pits are your bread and butter, taking out enemies one by one.

Outland Hunter: At 2nd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature skill. Or if you already have it, gain proficiency in any skill from the Trapper list. Also, Naturalist traps listed in the list of Traps have 1/2 the setup time.

Favored Prey: Also at 2nd level, choose a type of creature (for example, Beast). They have disadvantage on any saving throws involved in your traps, as you have made them weak to your traps in some way.

Trapper’s Taming: Starting at 6th level, you can tame the animals you trapped in non-lethal ways. You have advantage on wisdom (animal handling) checks against a beast that you trapped’s wisdom (insight). You can have 1 animal of CR 1 / 4 or lower at a time. This increases to 2 when you reach 12th level, and to 3 when you reach 17th level.

Sniff Out: At 9th level, you have trained your beasts to find traps. If they have the keen smell or keen sight traits, they have 2x advantage (roll 3 dice and take the highest). Otherwise, this is done with 1d20.

Protection Of The Pack Leader: At 14th level, beasts you tamed even seek you for protection. If a tamed beast within 5 feet of you is attacked or affected by a trap that attacks only it, you can use your reaction to direct the attack towards you instead.

The Tinkerer: Using complex machinery and metallic parts to make your traps, you spend a lot of time crafting mechanisms, or upgrading weapons. Not that you'd ever use one yourself. Many of your traps can be carried around.

Metallic Crafter: At 2nd level, you gain proficiency with Smith's Tools. Also, Tinkerer traps listed in the list of Traps have 1/2 the setup time.

Weapon Upgrade: Starting at 2nd level, you can spend 1 hour with a crossbow; it now fires two bolts each round. The second bolt is 1 die lower than normal (i.e. d8 to d6) and takes no bonuses to the attack or the damage rolls.

Self-Disarm: At 6th level, you can disarm any traps you set without triggering them.

Destructive Traps: At 9th level, you can add 2 to the trap setup DC to have the trap you are setting blow up in a ball of fire, hitting every creature in the area and destroying the trap on trigger. Each creature within 20 feet of the trap must roll a dexterity saving throw against your trap save DC or take 8d8 fire damage, and the one who triggered it takes 10d8 instead. Nonmagical flammable objects catch on fire.

The Rube Goldberg: At 14th level, you can spend an hour in a room with a marble or any spherical object, your Trappers' Tools, 20 gp worth of wood, any number of crossbows, and 20 gp worth of nails, to turn it into a deathtrap. When creating this deathtrap, roll a d20. When a creature enters that room, they are are subject a number of crossbow attacks equal to the number of crossbows used to make the trap using your d20 roll from before plus your proficiency bonus and intelligence modifier against their AC.

Traps List

Adhesive Trap
    [I]Naturalist, Tinkerer[/I
    Setup DC: 14
    Setup Time: 1 minute
    Requisite Materials: 1 ounce of sticky resin and 5" by 5" wooden slab
    Trigger: a tiny creature steps on the trap
    Effect: The creature that triggers this trap is restrained.

Bear Trap
    Tinkerer
    Setup DC: 13
    Setup Time: 3 hours
    Requisite Materials: 2 metal blades, 4 gears, and a round metal plate.
    Trigger: a large or smaller, but not tiny, creature steps on the trap
    Effect: The creature that triggers the trap must make a dexterity saving throw, with disadvantage if they could not see the trap. They take 1d8 piercing damage and are restrained. They can make a constitution saving throw to try to escape at the end of each of its turns, if it doesn't die from this.

Box Trap
    Naturalist
    Setup DC: 9
    Setup Time: 2 rounds
    Requisite Materials: a 1' by 6" box, a 1" stick, and any amount of food.
    Trigger: a tiny or small creature walks under the box.
    Effect: The creature that triggers the trap is hit by the stick, taking 1d4 bludgeoning damage, and are covered by the box.

Deadfall Trap
    Naturalist, Tinkerer
    Requisite Materials: 5 rocks or gears, a bag, and a 2' string.
    Trigger: A medium or smaller creature pulls on the string.
    Effect: When triggered, rocks fall on all creatures in a 10' by 15' area behind the triggering creature must roll a dexterity saving throw. On a fail, they take 1d8 bludgeoning damage.

Hypnosis Trap
    Naturalist
    Setup DC: 15
    Setup Time: 2 minutes
    Requisite Materials: a round wooden object, pained in a swirl of black and white sections, and a wind catcher
    Trigger: wind is blowing
    Effect: A creature that looks at this trap while triggered must make a wisdom (insight) check against your trap save DC or become charmed by the trap. While charmed, it cannot move and remains looking at the trap. When it is made to look away, it is no longer charmed.

Leg Hold Trap
    Naturalist, Tinkerer
    Setup Time: 3 minutes
    Requisite Materials: 4' of string and a stick.
    Trigger: When a large or smaller creature that has legs knocks over the stick
    Effect: The creature must make a dexterity saving throw or become restrained by the trap. In later turns, it can attempt a further dexterity saving throw to escape.

Pit Trap
    Naturalist
    Setup DC: 8
    Setup time: 1 hour
    Requisite Materials: A shovel, leaves, and a 15' by 15' tarp.
    Trigger: A creature steps on top of the tarp
    Effect: A creature that steps on top of the tarp falls down the pit.

Poison, Weak
    Naturalist
    Setup Time: 1/2 hour
    Requisite Materials: a piece of wood and mashed up common poison mushroom pieces.
    Trigger: A creature licks the poison
    Effect: The creature must roll a constitution saving throw against your trap save DC. On a fail, they take 1d8 poison damage and are poisoned. On a success, they are not poisoned. At the end of each of its turns while poisoned, the creature must make a constitution saving throw or take 1d6 poison damage.

Poison, Strong
    Naturalist, Tinkerer
    Setup DC: 16
    Setup Time: 1 hour
    Requisite Materials: a piece of wood and mashed up pieces of rare poisonous mushrooms or fragments of dull metal.
    Trigger: A creature licks or swallows the poison
    Effect: The creature must roll a constitution saving throw against your trap save DC. On a fail, they take 3d8 poison damage and are poisoned. On a success, they are not poisoned. At the end of each of its turns while poisoned, the creature must make a constitution saving throw or take 2d6 poison damage.

Rodent Trap
    Tinkerer
    Setup DC: 8
    Setup Time: 2 rounds
    Requisite Materials: a 2" by 4" piece of wood, a bent piece of metal, and a piece of bread
    Trigger: A tiny creature bites at the bread
    Effect: The bent piece of metal comes down and crushes the creature's neck, dealing 1d8 bludgeoning damage.

Scent Trap
    Naturalist
    Setup DC: none
    Setup Time: none
    Requisite Materials: strongly-scented flowers
    Trigger: none
    Effect: Creatures with the keen smell trait are attracted to the scent.

Shrapnel, Carriable
    Tinkerer
    Requisite Materials:1 ounce of gunpowder, metal fragments
    Trigger: The gunpowder is lit
    Effect: 1 round after the trap is triggered, all creatures in a 20' radius must make a dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 piercing damage.

Shrapnel, Floor
    Tinkerer
    Requisite Materials: 3 ounces of gunpowder, metal fragments, metal plate, 2 gears
    Trigger: A large or smaller, but not tiny, creature steps on the trap
    Effect: The creature that steps on the trap must make a dexterity saving throw or take 5d6 piercing damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

Snare Trap
    Naturalist
    Setup DC: 12
    Requisite Materials: 3' of string and a 1' stick
    Trigger: A tiny creature steps on the stick
    Effect: The creature, if it is tiny, dies instantly. Otherwise, they take 1d8 bludgeoning damage and are restrained.

Tripwire Trap
    Tinkerer
    Setup DC: 14
    Setup Time: 1.5 minutes
    Requisite Materials: 3' of string
    Trigger: A small or medium creature picks up its foot from under the taut string
    Effect: The creature must make a dexterity saving throw or fall prone.

18. - Top - End - #18

PirateGuy

Well, terrified to post this, because I've never done something on this scale before, and I haven't quite got an eye for balance yet, but here we go.
    Original (in case the updates are breaking something)
    The Adrenalineer [updated]

The goal was to make a melee combatant who had a way to chew up enemy reactions, while generating a usable resource to inflict more damage, or provide some battlefield control. I had the idea of a fighter who wanted to dip in and out of the fray for awhile, but never had a reason to try to build something until this contest. Even if the class is unplayable, it was a learning experience, so that's a plus for me.

I'll try to update this post with a forum version of the contents of the link when I can.

Update 1 - Realized early that I didn't leave any design space for Subclasses. Carved out a few abilities, and repositioned some others to free up levels for archtype support. Renamed a few abilities.

Update 2 - Correction in wording of the resource. The way it was worded made the class an explosive 1 level dip.

Update 3 - Added starting equipment.

Final Updates - Added additional minor effects for Inspiration usage. Tweaked Desperation Attack, and Peak Performance.

Spoiler: The Adrenalineer
    Show

The Adrenalineer lives for thrills. They are willing to put themselves into situations that would make even seasoned adventurers flinch. After every near death experience, they explode with a surge of energy that allows them to perform daring feats. Foolhardy, brash, and confident, they dive into danger with a singular thought: "I have never felt more alive".

Adventures The Adrenalineer is not one to sit at home and watch the world go by. Adrenalineers make natural adventurers, seeing every task as another opportunity to get their next fix

Characteristics Adrenalineers walk the line of controlled chaos. They may be a little mad, or they just love the rush of energy they get from living on the edge.

Alignment Any. Adrenalineers typically lean Chaotic, but there a few Lawful Adrenalineers, looking to bring some spice to their otherwise buttoned down existence.

Religion Adrenalineers can view religion differently. Some favor the gods of luck and protection, to keep them alive so they can keep getting thrilled, while others are atheists, and view what they do as a self-empowering ritual.

Race Any

Other Classes Due to their recklessness, Adrenalineers find a kind of kinship with Barbarians and some Fighters. They can think Wizards are a bit too stuffy for their tastes, as being cloistered up reading books kills their vibe.

Role The Adrenalineer wants to be in the front lines, taking risks, and feeding their abilities through tenuous situations.

Hit Points

Hit Dice - 1d8 per Adrenalineer level.
    Hit Points at 1st Level - 8 + Constitution Modifier
    Hit Points At Higher Levels 1d8 (or 5) + Constitution Modifier

Proficiencies

Armor - Light armor
    Weapons - Simple Melee Weapons, Martial Melee Weapons
    Tools - Healer's Kit or Poisoner's Kit
    Saving Throws - Dexterity, Constitution
    Skills - Choose two of the following - Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Medicine, Performance, Survival.

Saving Throw
    As an Adrenalieer , unless otherwise noted, the saving throw difficulty check (DC) for your class features and special abilities is as follows:

Saving Throw DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier

Starting Equipment
    • 5 Javalins or any Simple Melee weapon.
    • Leather Armor or a bag with 10 gp
    • Longsword, or Battleaxe, or Warhammer
    • Dungeoneer's Pack or Explorer's Pack

Multi-classing
    To multi-class as an Adrenalineer, you must have a Constitution of 13 and meet the prerequisite(s) for your current class (as per the PHB, p163).

Class Features
    Adrenaline Surge
    Adrenaline is the key component for an Adrenalineer, and fuels most of their abilities. At the end of a short or long rest, your Adrenaline Surge count becomes 1. You cannot have more Adrenaline Surges than your Constitution Modifier Plus the number listed on the class chart under Surge Cap. You receive an Adrenaline Surge under the following circumstances:
    • When you take or score a critical hit
    • The first time you recover from 0 HP per round
    • When you are targeted with an opportunity attack
    • When you use a point of Inspiration

Once per round, during your turn, you may expend an Adrenaline Surge to gain Temporary Hit Points equal to 3x your Proficiency Modifier as a free action. You cannot use this ability if you already have temporary hit points.

Surging Strike
    You expend a sudden burst of energy to attack with surprising strength. Whenever you make a melee attack, as a bonus action, you can spend up to your proficiency modifier + 1 in Adrenaline Surges. You deal an additional 1d8 damage per surge spent this way. The target of the attack has Advantage on any attack rolls made against you, and you have Disadvantage against any saving throws imposed upon you by that enemy, until the end of your next turn.

Eyes on Me
    Your frenzied style and mannerisms can start to get under the skin of your opponents. Starting at level 2, when you are hit by an enemy within 5 feet of you, you can spend a reaction and an Adrenaline Surge to force the enemy to make a Wisdom Saving Throw. On a failed save, the target has Disadvantage on all attacks that don't include you until the end of it's next turn. If the target damages you with an attack while under the effects of Eyes on Me, gain 1 Adrenaline Surge.

Adrenaline Path
    Not everyone gets their rush following the same path. Starting at 3rd level, you start to find your Path. Once you select your Path, you gain the features for that Path at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 18th level. The paths are Daredevil, Bloodthirster, and Masochist.
    (Sample Path Benefits - Daredevil - use bonus action to move half your speed -> gain resistance against Opportunity Atacks, Bloodthirster - Gain Adrenaline Surge for each 8 on Surging Strike, Masochist - Gain Surge whenever you take damage equal to or greater to your Temp Hit Point total)

Ability Score Increase
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

One Track Mind
    As you survive more thrills, you become more daring. Starting at level 5, you may add your Proficiency Bonus to any saving throw against Charm or Fear effects. If you are already proficient in the saving throw, instead gain Advantage.

A Nose For Bull
    People may think you recklessly dive into all situations, not caring for what's going on. And yes, that may be true, but that doesn't mean you don't pay attention. You've learned the tell-tale signs of a liar, and you've gotten especially good at cutting straight to the heart of the matter. Starting at 5th level, if you speak honestly with someone for at least a minute, gain Advantage on all Insight rolls against the subject.

Heightened Stamina
    Your ability to survive this long is admirable. You are more adept at controlling your Adrenaline, and have learned to use it to make you feel invincible. Starting at 7th Level, after a short or long rest, you reset to 2 Adrenaline Surges. Additionally, when you spend an Adrenaline Surge to gain Temporary Hit Points, you now gain 5 times your Proficiency Bonus in Temporary Hit Points, instead of 3, and when you spend Inspiration, you gain two Adrenaline Surges, instead of 1. Finally, as a reaction, you can spend an Adrenaline Surge expend all of your temporary hit points to increase your Armor Class by your proficiency modifier. You must decide to use this ability before damage is revealed.

Threatening Presence
    Your behavior on the battlefield strikes fear into the hearts of your enemies. Starting at 9th level, the range of your Eyes On Me increases to 20 feet, affects any number of hostile creatures in range, and can be triggered by any enemy you can see, rather than any enemy within 5 feet of you. Additionally, any creature who fails their saving throw suffers (Proficiency Modifier)d6 Psychic Damage. On a successful save, they take half damage.

Shake it Off
    As you pump yourself up, you've figured out how to shrug off ailments. Starting at 10th level, when you spend an Adrenaline Surge to gain temporary hit points, the next saving throw you make this turn has Advantage. Additionally, you may spend an additional Adrenaline Surge to recover as many Hit Points as you gained Temporary Hit Points.

Make Your Own Luck
    Starting at 10th level, you can impose Disadvantage on yourself on your next Weapon Attack Roll in order to gain two Adrenaline Surges. This Disadvantage cannot be canceled by any number of instances of Advantage. Additionally, you can spend two Adrenaline Surges to grant yourself Advantage on an attack once on each of your turns as a free action.

Friendly Fire
    You find that your friends are as useful as your foes for your purposes. Starting at 13th level, you generate an Adrenaline Surge when you are hit by a friendly ability that also damages a creature hostile to you. You can spend your Reaction to make a melee attack at a hostile creature within your Reach struck by the same allied ability.

Desperate Attack
    Sometimes, you just need to make something dead, no matter the cost. Starting at 14th level, once per long rest, when you spend Adrenaline Surges to Surging Strike, you can increase the damage die from d8s to d12s. If you do this, you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your own save DC. Add 1 to the DC for each Adrenaline Surge spent. On a failed throw, you fall prone from exerting yourself.

Tough Hide
    Starting at 17th level, you can spend your Reaction to use an Adrenaline surge to give you Resistance to all damage until the end of the current turn.

Peak Performance
    Starting at 20th level, you gain the following benefits when you have at least 6 Adrenaline Surges
    • Resistance to Bludgenong, Slashing, Piercing, Fire, Ice, Thunder, and Force damage.
    • Deal an additional 2d10 on non-Surging Strike attacks.
    • Hostile creatures within 10 feet of you need to make a Wisdom Saving Throw at the beginning of their turn. On a failed save, the creature makes all attack rolls against your allies at Disadvantage.

Level Proficiency Bonus Class Features Base Surge Pool
    1st +2 Adrenaline Surge, Surging Strike 1
    2nd +2 Eyes on Me +1
    3rd +2 Adrenaline Path 1
    4th +3 Ability Score Increase 2
    5th +3 One Track Mind, Nose for Bull 2
    6th +3 Heightened Stamina 2
    7th +3 Path Feature 3
    8th +3 Ability Score Increase 3
    9th +4 Threatening Presence 3
    10th +4 Shake it Off, Make Your Own Luck 4
    11th +4 Path Feature 4
    12th +4 Ability Score Increase 4
    13th +5 Friendly Fire 5
    14th +5 Desperate Attack 5
    15th +5 Path Feature 5
    16th +5 Ability Score Increase 6
    17th +6 Tough Hide 6
    18th +6 Path Feature 6
    19th +6 Ability Score Increase 7
    20th +6 Peak Performance 7
    Last edited by Jama7301; 2018-05-23 at 05:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Homebrewery's formatting seemed to somehow deteriorate, so I switched to DM Binder, which I'm told is somewhat more stable. Same class, new site:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LC7Hhc_Kpwy0ra-68i2

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateWench

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ-jBEBAG

The Channeler is a class with mechanics based on the new "Defect" character from Slay the Spire. Basically, you charge up your character with passive benefits and chain together cantrip-like effects.

Google Drive PDF link for those who can't view homebrewery
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2018-05-15 at 09:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The competition has ended. No more posts may be made in this thread.
    -