New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest I Chat Thread

Insurgent Review

Your creative writing talents really shine! Great job! Do you take commission work as someone’s classes (/cough mine) could really use this level of polish.

The class concept is well stated and the features are well defined through levels 1 to 5. There are ribbons in place to support social interaction though not much for exploration. There’s a power increase at 11th though the traditional bump at 17th is not there… I’ll address this specifically with that feature.

First, some general notes. I’m curious as to the decision behind having the d10 HD? Is this intended as a front line combatant? d8 would “feel” more appropriate but may not provide enough fuel for the Bleed for the Cause feature and would make Underdog perhaps a too dangerous at lower levels?

Multi-classing for Homebrews can be completely problematic (as can feat interactions, but as they are an optional rule, I don’t obsess here). With the Insurgent, a Rogue dip (or Bard to 3rd level I suppose) for grapple/shove shenanigans would be very powerful. In this case, the one level dip in Rogue gets you Expertise (taking either Athletics or Acrobatics). Coupled with Subversive Action (grapple/shove as a bonus) and Bleed for the Cause, an Insurgent at higher levels could have a +21 (+12 from prof/expertise +5 Bleed +4 assumed 18 STR or DEX) to their contested check, almost guaranteeing permanent-grapple or prone of any M or L opponent (boss) without using an action. Maybe this is intended

Adding a level of Insurgent to Barbarian (in particular) or Fighter is very tempting…Underdog has a lot of synergy. Nothing probably too OP, just something to note.

In the end, there’s a lot of potential in the use of disadvantage and HP (damage) as a power source for features. The Insurgent in its current state plays it a little safe I feel… certainly good for not being initially too OP or “out there” but it ends up feeling very vanilla (almost – and saying this makes me want to flog myself – like it’s an archetype of Fighter or Rogue).

I’ll recreate each core class feature for clarity followed by my comments.

Guerrilla Tactics.
    You thrive when the odds are stacked most heavily against you. Once per turn, you can deploy a special technique against one creature you hit with an attack if you have disadvantage on the attack roll. Choose one of the following:

• The target has disadvantage on attack rolls until the start of its next turn.
    • The target's base speed is halved until the end of its next turn.
    • The target cannot take reactions until the start of its next turn.

You don’t need disadvantage on the attack roll if there are no allies or friendly creatures within 30 feet of you and you don’t have advantage on the attack roll.
    Giving disadvantage until the “start of its next turn” as a special technique can be moot if the creature has already attacked during the round. Perhaps change the wording of this bullet to “the target has disadvantage on its next attack roll”?

In a general sense, this makes dropping prone a viable tactic for the Insurgent as this would give disadvantage on attacks as well as providing a defensive buff against reach and ranged attacks (attacks beyond 5 feet). Is this intended or should this feature maybe have a caveat of “when you hit with a melee attack”?

I could see an Insurgent’s turn being always as follows: 1) drop prone 2) make ranged attack and apply special technique 3) stand up and use remaining movement.

Creative use of disadvantage. I think there’s a lot of potential here!

Underdog
    Whenever your current HP is less than half of your maximum hit points, you can deal 1d8 additional damage to a target that you hit with a weapon attack. Alternatively, you can deal this additional damage against any creature that has attacked or damaged you since the end of your last turn, even if you have more than half of your maximum hit points. You can only use this ability once per turn.

The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Underdog Damage column of the Insurgent table.
    Just to be clear, Underdog can trigger when a creature attacks and misses you and any time that a creature damages you?

It’s noted that this can only be used once per turn, but it could be used multiple times in a round (similar to sneak attack), such as part of an Opportunity Attack since this doesn’t occur on your turn?

Fighting Style
    Starting at 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Simple Weapon Mastery. When you wield a simple weapon with two hands, it gains the reach property, and when you wield a simple weapon in one hand, it gains the light property if it does not have it already.
    I’ve removed all the copy-paste fighting styles and am concentrating on the custom (?) one.

Is it DM fiat whether you can realistically wield a weapon with two hands (e.g. dagger)? What happens if you wield a weapon that has the two handed property in one hand (do the rules even allow for this)? How does this style apply to simple ranged weapons (e.g. would a dart thrown in one hand gain the light property)?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for having fighting styles custom for a class and do it quite a bit myself… I just had some questions in regards to this particular style.

Subversive Action
    By 2nd level, you have developed ways of undermining your enemies and leaving them vulnerable to your allies' attacks. You can use a bonus action on your turn to take the Disarm or Help actions, or to shove or grapple a creature.
    Other than Demolition Expert in one of the callings, there is no resource conflict with Subversive Action against your Bonus Action – essentially, you would use this every turn as applicable. Is this as intended? The Disarm and Help certainly fit but I have some concerns about the balance of allowing grapple/shove (as they’re more closely linked to the combat action economy) every turn as a bonus action.

Insurgent's Calling
    At 3rd level, you choose your calling within the insurgency. Select one of the options detailed on the next page.
    Sworn Enemy
    When you reach 3rd level, you develop a deep and abiding enmity towards a certain group or organisation.

Choose a Faction, sovereign government or mercantile organisation. You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures that willingly work for or are allied to that group. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your sworn enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
    As probably argued many times in regards to the Ranger’s Favored Enemy, this feature can either be completely useless or pure gold – depending on the DM/campaign.

What defines a group (could it be a racial group, say goblins) or a faction?

Perhaps to give this some versatility, consider allowing the Insurgent to change this after a long rest – flavored as studying or preparing. Maybe rename to “Rebellious Planning” or “Coup Focus”

Ability Score Improvement
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1.

As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
    Bleed for the Cause
    At 5th level, you think nothing of shedding a little blood if it will bring you closer to victory.

When you make an ability check, you can sacrifice up to 5 hit points. You gain a bonus on that ability check equal to the number of hit points you sacrificed.
    Within combat, is there an action cost to this (e.g. reaction, bonus)? Does this apply when you have advantage or disadvantage – bonus applied to each die roll?

Note that this also becomes a trivial sacrifice at later levels when HP is plentiful or when healing is readily available.

I also worry of the effects that this would have on bounded accuracy even though it is similar to the Paladin’s Aura of Protection (excepting that it consumes a resource (HP) and is self only). Where it greatly deviates from the Paladin’s auras is that at maximum cost you gain benefits as if your fueling attribute was a 20.

Finally, how does this manifest/activated? I’m just curious as you could use it with say Propagandist to get a bonus to Persuasion check. Do you suddenly start to bleed as you’re convincing the poor innkeeper to provide you information? Or is it more abstracted – you exert yourself and get noticeably weaker?

Extra Attack
    Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
    I think there’s design space here (and probably precedence within the concept) to eliminate extra attack and either buff/change Bleed for the Cause or introduce another defining feature that played on the class concept.

Propagandist
    At 7th level, you become an expert in communicating your radical message to the civilian populace. You have advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks when interacting with commoners, peasants and working people. Furthermore, you can always find someone who will provide food, water and shelter when you are in an urban location.
    One of the obligatory ribbon features. Decent, though it suffers from a little ambiguity (or DM interpretation) of what/who can be considered a commoner or (especially) working people.

Let it be Welcome
    By 9th level, you are so dedicated to your cause that you no longer fear death - by sheer force of will, you press on through the most grueling trials.
    Whenever your current HP is less than half of your maximum HP, you have advantage on Constitution and Wisdom saving throws.
    Great feature!

Ready for Anything
    When you reach 11th level, you can use your Subversive Action to ready an action.
    This certainly works though ymmv (I’ve DM’d groups that have never used/don’t know about Readied Actions)… this really allows the Insurgent to control where/when they act during a combat round. I’d almost swap this with Subversive Action which would allay some of the (my subjective opinion) potential balance issues with that feature.

Comrades in Arms
    At 13th level, your presence serves as an inspiration to downtrodden people everywhere. Any NPC allies or hirelings you employ that are within 60 feet of you and can see or hear you can use your proficiency bonus in place of their own, if it is higher, and at the beginning of each of their turns they gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.
    Another niche feature and maybe intended as a quasi-ribbon?. My biggest concern is I’m not sure how often parties employ hirelings – this may be very dependent on the DM/campaign. Perhaps buff this some and make it a 30 foot radius where all allies receive temp HP equal to your Charisma modifier at the start of each round and, as a reaction, they can add your Charisma modifier to a single ability check? Alternately, you could riff of the Bard’s Inspiration to make something more focused as a bonus action – which would compete with Subversive Action for use.

Purgator
    By 15th level, your hatred of your Sworn Enemies is so keen that you can ferret them out no matter how well-hidden they may be. You always recognise a member or ally of your Sworn Enemy organisation, even if they are disguised or in a different form (such as a polymorph). They automatically fail on any Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) or Charisma (Deception) checks they make to deceive you.
    My comment here would be the same as for Sworn Enemy… If you “fix” the first feature, you likely fix this one.

Seditious Rhetoric
    When you reach 18th level, you master several rhetorical tricks to gain the upper hand on your oppressors. You are immune to any magical ability that would compel you to tell the truth or detect when you are lying.
    I guess I’d be looking for the last power bump (traditionally at 17th level) here. I really think this feature could be given much earlier and replaced with something that gives a little more “oomph”… perhaps some improvement/expansion of Bleed for the Cause (such as, if you keep that feature as is, allow the cap to move to +10 at the cost of 1 level of exhaustion or allow HP expenditure to clear adverse conditions?)

Viva la Revolución!
    At 20th level, the spirit of revolution lives in your veins, filling you with vigour that transcends mortality. When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you do not fall unconscious immediately, but instead continue as normal until the end of your next turn, at which point you fall unconscious if you still have 0 hit points.

You have disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks while you have 0 hit points.
    I know capstone features rarely play in campaigns and some of the official classes are lackluster here, but I’d give this a serious buff…for example, an Insurgent does not fall unconscious until they die (fail three death saves). While they are at 0 hp, in addition to the disadvantage (which, in some ways is a benefit), they also have disadvantage on death saves on any turn you take an action other than Move.

I did look at the Callings but didn’t have the time to comment those… I’ll catch them later today.

I hope this didn’t come across as too critical. I realized as I was going through this that I’d never critiqued a full class before and so had to fall back upon my professional experience of “auditing” which, in hindsight, is very dry.

It’s a solid class as is but I think you could do much more with it if you really delve into the two core components (disadvantage, HPs as fuel) and springboard from those to support the three pillars.

Best of luck!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback! I probably won't make any changes for this contest, but I will be going away and re-writing afterwards, possibly with a view to releasing the class under the Mage Hand Press banner. So you've been really helpful.

Spoiler: Responses to comments
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mourne View Post
    Do you take commission work as someone’s classes (/cough mine) could really use this level of polish.
    I really don't have the free time to be taking on that kind of work, sorry!

I’m curious as to the decision behind having the d10 HD? Is this intended as a front line combatant? d8 would “feel” more appropriate but may not provide enough fuel for the Bleed for the Cause feature and would make Underdog perhaps a too dangerous at lower levels?
    You know... I've quite forgotten why I made it d10 HD. d8 does seem more fitting... but yes, it probably doesn't jive with the way this class wants to lost hit points.

Multi-classing...
    Good points. I hadn't given much thought to multiclassing and some of those things do seem concerning. I'll keep an eye on them when I re-write.

Giving disadvantage until the “start of its next turn” as a special technique can be moot if the creature has already attacked during the round. Perhaps change the wording of this bullet to “the target has disadvantage on its next attack roll”?
    Ugh, yeah. This particular feature has been through so many iterations of function and wording that I'm not surprised it's ended up a bit garbled. Your way is better, for sure.

In a general sense, this makes dropping prone a viable tactic for the Insurgent as this would give disadvantage on attacks as well as providing a defensive buff against reach and ranged attacks (attacks beyond 5 feet). Is this intended or should this feature maybe have a caveat of “when you hit with a melee attack”?

I could see an Insurgent’s turn being always as follows: 1) drop prone 2) make ranged attack and apply special technique 3) stand up and use remaining movement.
    Damn, well spotted. Abusing the prone condition is not what I want players to do, and I'll need to find a way to write that out. I don't want to restrict them to melee attacks, though.

Just to be clear, Underdog can trigger when a creature attacks and misses you and any time that a creature damages you?
    Underdog is available if a creature has attacked or damaged you since your last turn, so yes, you can still add it even if they missed. Although maybe that's too generous... my colleague Mike added that clause because he didn't think being under half HP would happen as often as the Rogue gets Sneak Attack.

It’s noted that this can only be used once per turn, but it could be used multiple times in a round (similar to sneak attack), such as part of an Opportunity Attack since this doesn’t occur on your turn?
    Yes, that's the intent.

custom (?)
    Yes, written by me, specifically for this class.

Is it DM fiat whether you can realistically wield a weapon with two hands (e.g. dagger)? What happens if you wield a weapon that has the two handed property in one hand (do the rules even allow for this)? How does this style apply to simple ranged weapons (e.g. would a dart thrown in one hand gain the light property)?
    Well, I was assuming that you wield single-handed weapons in one hand and two-handed weapons in two hands. So a dagger isn't wielded in two hands. Versatile weapons (i.e. quarterstaves) switch which bonus they get when you switch grips. Ranged weapons also benefit, if it makes sense (so a dart does become light, but a shortbow doesn't gain reach. Well, unless you use it as an improvised melee weapon... then it probably does gain reach).

Other than Demolition Expert in one of the callings, there is no resource conflict with Subversive Action against your Bonus Action – essentially, you would use this every turn as applicable. Is this as intended? The Disarm and Help certainly fit but I have some concerns about the balance of allowing grapple/shove (as they’re more closely linked to the combat action economy) every turn as a bonus action.
    It's kind of intended. Certainly from level 11 on, because readying an attack action as a bonus action is the major damage bump at that level. I don't know if BA grappling is that strong. I've seen it given out as a racial before, and this is a core class feature, intended to be comparable in power to Cunning Action.

As probably argued many times in regards to the Ranger’s Favored Enemy, this feature can either be completely useless or pure gold – depending on the DM/campaign.
    Yeah, nothing I can do about that. This feature can't really be changed much, since it's vital to the fluff and one of the few exploration-focussed abilities in the class.

What defines a group (could it be a racial group, say goblins) or a faction?
    No, it can't be a racial/species group. The mechanical part here is the "a Faction, sovereign government or mercantile organisation". Factions are defined by WotC (Hapers, Zhentarim, Lord's Alliance), sovereign governments are usually pretty obvious (Royal family of Cormyr, Masked Lords of Waterdeep, Menzoberranzan's Council of Eight), and mercantile organisations should be well defined in most settings (Iron Throne, Seven Suns Trading Coster, Arcane Bortherhood). Those are your only sworn enemy options at present, for the sake of clarity.

Perhaps to give this some versatility, consider allowing the Insurgent to change this after a long rest – flavored as studying or preparing. Maybe rename to “Rebellious Planning” or “Coup Focus”
    Kind of undercuts the 'single-minded devotion to the cause' angle I've been working, non?

Within combat, is there an action cost to this (e.g. reaction, bonus)? Does this apply when you have advantage or disadvantage – bonus applied to each die roll?
    No action cost, you just lose the HP. At present I'd say it applies to both rolls, but I am thinking I'll put in a specific clause to say you have to spend the HP twice on an advantaged or disadvantaged roll.

Note that this also becomes a trivial sacrifice at later levels when HP is plentiful or when healing is readily available.
    That's fine. You still gotta get down to half HP to activate Underdog, after all. That's what's generating the risk here; Bleed for the Cause is really just a mechanism (that is under the player's control) to get you there.

I also worry of the effects that this would have on bounded accuracy even though it is similar to the Paladin’s Aura of Protection (excepting that it consumes a resource (HP) and is self only). Where it greatly deviates from the Paladin’s auras is that at maximum cost you gain benefits as if your fueling attribute was a 20.
    I'm not too concerned about that... it can't influence saves or attack rolls anyway.

Finally, how does this manifest/activated? I’m just curious as you could use it with say Propagandist to get a bonus to Persuasion check. Do you suddenly start to bleed as you’re convincing the poor innkeeper to provide you information? Or is it more abstracted – you exert yourself and get noticeably weaker?
    Hah! Despite the literal wording, I definitely hope people interpret it in a more abstract way. That said, being covered in your own blood could well make you more persuasive if you're pleading for help!

I think there’s design space here (and probably precedence within the concept) to eliminate extra attack and either buff/change Bleed for the Cause or introduce another defining feature that played on the class concept.
    Maybe. I'll think about it.

Another niche feature and maybe intended as a quasi-ribbon?
    It's intended as a fairly bulky ribbon, yes. I'll think about making it a BA power... but Subversive Action is an important prop for keeping the class competitive. I don't want to take that away too often.

I guess I’d be looking for the last power bump (traditionally at 17th level) here. I really think this feature could be given much earlier and replaced with something that gives a little more “oomph”… perhaps some improvement/expansion of Bleed for the Cause (such as, if you keep that feature as is, allow the cap to move to +10 at the cost of 1 level of exhaustion or allow HP expenditure to clear adverse conditions?)
    That's a very good point. I probably have neglected the high level features a bit. Improving Bleed... could certainly work.

I know capstone features rarely play in campaigns and some of the official classes are lackluster here, but I’d give this a serious buff…for example, an Insurgent does not fall unconscious until they die (fail three death saves). While they are at 0 hp, in addition to the disadvantage (which, in some ways is a benefit), they also have disadvantage on death saves on any turn you take an action other than Move.
    Excellent suggestion. I'll certainly be using that. And yes, the disadvantage is intended to be partly beneficial as well as realistic.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Yeah. I'd like to get more feedback myself, which means I'll have to do more reviews of other work

I've used the same style of feature in a couple other home-brews that never got any commentary before, so anything I learn from this will transfer to those.
    Your Protean seems really good to me. To be honest, when I first saw it like two days after the contest was posted, I immediately lost hope. But there are a few minor nitpicks.

The first is not something I personally take issue with, but that I could see some others maybe having one. The class doesn't focus on attacks, but does rely on them and goes so far as to have Extra Attack on the base class. In a lot of ways, the class feels like a Barbarian, which is in some ways what the contest is meant to avoid. Since the focus on the class isnt the attacks but the mutations, I personally don't mind this as much.

I also want to clarify Persistant Mutation.
    Starting at 10th level, you can keep one mutation active even after you switch it out for another, as long as the body slot is not used by the new mutation. This persisted mutation does not count against your active mutation limit, but you only get the effect of the basic level of the mutation. Starting at 18th level you can persist two mutations in this way.
    So with this feature you can have Four simultaneous Mutations, correct? One from your Strain, two from the base feature according to the table, and one more for Persistant Mutation, but only its basic level? I just want to be sure I understand this correctly. Also, I would probably say "You do not gain the Greater or Perfect Mutations from a mutation kept active this way" rather than "basic level", which is not a mechanically-defined term.

Aberrant Physiology
    Starting at 13th level, you count as an aberration when determining legal targets of spells. You also gain immunity to poison as well as magical effects that change your shape.
    Does this mean you no longer count as Humanoid, or that you count as both Humanoid and Abberation?

Master of Mutations
    At level 20, activating mutations no longer requires an action. Each body part can only be mutated once per turn, and two mutations that share a body part cannot be active simultaneously.
    Maybe a little bit more clarification here? I assume the intent is only on your turn, but it says "once per turn" which theoretically means you could swap out all your mutations on each enemy and ally's turn, which is crazy.

Aberrant Senses (Head)
    Activation: 1 action
    While this mutation is active, you have advantage on any saving throw made against being blinded or deafened and can see in dim light as it it were bright light for 120 feet. If you already have the Darkvision feature, the range of that feature increases to 120 feet.
    Is this meant to grant Darkvision for any distance? Or just purely Dim Light? It feels like it should be Darkvision

Geckos’ Toes (Legs/Feet)
    As long as you are not wearing boots or shoes, you gain a climb speed equal to your regular speed. In addition, you can pick up, hold, and manipulate objects with your feet, as long as you don’t require both feet for balance.
    Seems like a weird restriction. It makes sense to a degree, but Spiderman wears boots, and there's no restriction on gloves. And this excludes anyone who wants this mutation from wearing magical boots, which are some of the best items in my personal opinion.

Leaping Legs (Legs/Feet)
    You can jump vertically as far as you can jump horizontally. When you fall you only take half of the normal falling damage.
    Greater Mutation: You always count as having a running start when jumping. In addition you can perform a leaping attack. When you fall at least 10 feet and make a successful weapon attack against another creature, the target must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If you would have taken falling damage, you take none and the target takes the whole amount as additional damage.
    Perfected Mutation: The falling damage dealt by your leaping attacks is doubled. Jumping only costs 1 foot of movement for every 2 feet jumped and your jump distance is doubled.
    Jumping already costs one foot of jump = 1 foot of move. The Perfected Mutation doesn't grant a benefit in that regard. I would say instead that you become allowed to jump a distance greater than your movement. So if you have a movespeed of 30, normally you can only jump 30 feet. But with this, if you have a movespeed of 30, and you have a high enough Strength, you could jump 35 or 40 feet or something like that.

Tireless Gait (Legs/Feet, visible)
    Activation: 1 minute
    You grow an extra set of legs and your body adapts to this new plan. You can travel at a fast pace for up to 12 hours without suffering any ill effects.
    This.. won't be used. D&D uses adventuring groups and travel pace is for the whole group. Without the entire group being able to travel at a fast pace (which wouldn't be a logical benefit for this class or mutation), this is going to be made almost useless.

Thermal Adaptation (Torso)
    You are now comfortable at all temperatures between -50 and 100 degrees. You also gain resistance to non-magical fire and cold damage.
    In 5th edition, there is no difference between magical and non-magical fire damage. You could keep this in, but it will be a weird outlier and I don't think it will actually help much, as nearly all fire and cold damage an adventurer would usually come across originates from spells.

Additional Proficiencies
    You gain proficiency in light armor and the Deception skill.
    Mutated Charm
    When you choose this Strain, you gain proficiency in Constitution and Charisma saving throws.
    You also gain the Claws mutation; this mutation does not count against your active mutations limit.
    Based on the names of these features, I think the saving throw proficiencies should be in Additional Proficiencies and the Deception should be in Mutated Charm.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by WarrentheHero View Post
    Your Protean seems really good to me. To be honest, when I first saw it like two days after the contest was posted, I immediately lost hope. But there are a few minor nitpicks.

The first is not something I personally take issue with, but that I could see some others maybe having one. The class doesn't focus on attacks, but does rely on them and goes so far as to have Extra Attack on the base class. In a lot of ways, the class feels like a Barbarian, which is in some ways what the contest is meant to avoid. Since the focus on the class isnt the attacks but the mutations, I personally don't mind this as much.
    Yeah, I couldn't think of a way to avoid that. But I think there's enough other going on there to avoid the "I attack" syndrome.

I also want to clarify Persistant Mutation.
    So with this feature you can have Four simultaneous Mutations, correct? One from your Strain, two from the base feature according to the table, and one more for Persistant Mutation, but only its basic level? I just want to be sure I understand this correctly. Also, I would probably say "You do not gain the Greater or Perfect Mutations from a mutation kept active this way" rather than "basic level", which is not a mechanically-defined term.
    Yes. You can always have your Strain's mutation, two "normal" ones at full power, and one more at base level. Thus, you can have 3 or 4 slots filled until level 20, when you can go full out for a bit. I agree about the wording change.

Does this mean you no longer count as Humanoid, or that you count as both Humanoid and Abberation?
    Intent was for the type to actually change completely. It's a minor boost unless your DM is commonly throwing Hold Person or some of the other few type-specific spells at you.

Maybe a little bit more clarification here? I assume the intent is only on your turn, but it says "once per turn" which theoretically means you could swap out all your mutations on each enemy and ally's turn, which is crazy.
    Oops. That's meant to be on your turn only.

Is this meant to grant Darkvision for any distance? Or just purely Dim Light? It feels like it should be Darkvision
    Hmm...I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure what my intent originally was.

Seems like a weird restriction. It makes sense to a degree, but Spiderman wears boots, and there's no restriction on gloves. And this excludes anyone who wants this mutation from wearing magical boots, which are some of the best items in my personal opinion.
    Good point. I was going for flavor (as in physically mutating your feet to grip things should be hampered by boots), but playability is also important.

Jumping already costs one foot of jump = 1 foot of move. The Perfected Mutation doesn't grant a benefit in that regard. I would say instead that you become allowed to jump a distance greater than your movement. So if you have a movespeed of 30, normally you can only jump 30 feet. But with this, if you have a movespeed of 30, and you have a high enough Strength, you could jump 35 or 40 feet or something like that.
    With the perfected mutation, you only cost 1 foot per 2 feet of jump and your jump distance is doubled. Thus, if you have a move of 30 and 20 STR, you can jump 40 feet, using only 20 of your movement.

This.. won't be used. D&D uses adventuring groups and travel pace is for the whole group. Without the entire group being able to travel at a fast pace (which wouldn't be a logical benefit for this class or mutation), this is going to be made almost useless.
    The idea is that if you have to, for instance, run for help or to raise an alarm, you can go straight through. The big part of that one is that you can pull large loads. So you can pull a cart with your buddies in it and they can sleep while you run, covering a large amount of terrain (~3x as much). Niche, but useful IMO.

In 5th edition, there is no difference between magical and non-magical fire damage. You could keep this in, but it will be a weird outlier and I don't think it will actually help much, as nearly all fire and cold damage an adventurer would usually come across originates from spells.
    Good point. I'll change that. I must have misread an item.

Based on the names of these features, I think the saving throw proficiencies should be in Additional Proficiencies and the Deception should be in Mutated Charm.
    Probably true.

Thanks!
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So when specifically is the contest over? The post says the 23rd but Requilac said at one point maybe the 16th? I don't know which

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So when specifically is the contest over? The post says the 23rd but Requilac said at one point maybe the 16th? I don't know which
    It’s still the 23rd. I was contemplating pushing the deadline earlier, but decided not to.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apologies if this was already asked earlier, as I don't have enough time currently to browse all the threads to find the answer to this, but would a class that gained cantrips (not focusing on them, but just getting them as a method of attack) be eligible for the idea?
    Check out my homebrew blog, Bando's Homebrew!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbando View Post
    Apologies if this was already asked earlier, as I don't have enough time currently to browse all the threads to find the answer to this, but would a class that gained cantrips (not focusing on them, but just getting them as a method of attack) be eligible for the idea?
    This paragraph should explain it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    1) The class you homebrew should be a non-casting class which doesn’t focus on making weapon attacks either . This does not necessarily mean your class must be non-magical, but it should not cast any spells in the conventional manner. This contest was designed to represent interesting features not constrained to spells, so unconventional casting methods (such as through ki) will be frowned upon too. So long as you can justify that your class follows the theme in anyway it is valid. Although you cannot be punished for making a class which does not follow the theme well, it is unlikely that your work will get voted for if you do so.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

Investigator Review

Sorry for the lateness! Brief review incoming. I’m only covering the core features as I feel that something needs to be addressed in the defining feature which could potentially alter how the (empirical) archetypes would be constructed/function.

As normal, this is all purely my opinion and is intended as constructive.

I really have a soft spot for Scholar/Academic/Investigator classes. Great pick and a solid start!

I've copied the features in the spoiler for clarity.

Spoiler: Investigator Features
    Show
    Flawless Analyst (level 1)
    Your observational skills have been honed to an uncanny degree of excellency. Even while in the heat of combat you can quickly examine your opponent or obstacle and determine their strengths and weaknesses.

The act of doing so is mentally exhausting though so you can only do it a limited number of times. Your ability to exercise this talent is represented by Analysis Points. You have a number of Analysis Points equal to your intelligence modifier . All uses are restored after you complete a short or long rest.

When you use a bonus action to expend an analysis point, you learn some of the following statistics about one creature or object which you can see. It is impossible for you to use this trait if you are blinded. You learn an amount of statistics chosen from the list below equal to your proficiency bonus each time you use this feature.

• The creature's type (and subtype if applicable) or, if it is an object, what type of material (such as metal, stone or wood) it is made out of.
    • One of the creature's ability scores.
    • Choose any number between 1 and 30. You learn if the creature's/object's armor class is greater than, less than or equal to that number.
    • Choose any number between 1 and 700. You learn whether the creature's/object's current hit points are greater then, less than or equal to that number.
    • What that creature's/object's damage resistances and immunities are.
    • What that creature's/object's damage vulnerabilites are.
    • Choose any number between 1 and 30. You learn if the creature's attack bonus for one attack of your choice is greater than, less than or equal to that number.
    • The damage type(s) of one attack or feature of your choice which the creature/object can peform.
    • Choose any number between 1 and 100. You learn whether the average damage dealt by one attack or feature of your choice which the creature/object can perform is greater then, less than or equal to that number.
    • Choose any number between 1 and 30. You learn if the saving throw DC of one effect which the creature or object causes is greater than, less than or equal to that number.
    • The title of one special feature of your choice and all of the details about it except for the exact numbers of its save DC, damage or similar statistics.
    • All of the additional types of speed that creature possesses. This does not tell you how fast they can move with these different speeds, just if they can move in that manner.
    • Choose a number between 0 and 150. You learn if one of the creature's speeds of your choice is greater than, less than or equal to that number.
    • Choose any number between 1 and 30. You learn If the bonus the creature gets to saving throws tied to a specific ability score of your choice is greater than, less than or equal to that number.
    • All of the creature's skill proficiencies. This does not tell you their proficiency bonus, just which proficiencies they have.
    • All of the condition immunities that creature/object has.
    • All of the special senses which that creature has.
    • Choose any number between 0 and 150. You learn if the radius of one of the creature's special senses of your choice is greater than, less than or equal to that number.
    • All of the languages which that creature knows. If the creature is telepathic, you know that too but you can't determine the exact radius of the telepathy.

Improved Analysis (level 2)
    Your analytical skills have been enhanced and you can now almost instantly detect weaknesses in your foe's offensive or defensive strategy. Whenever you use your Flawless Analyst feature, you may choose any of the following options instead of learning some statistics. If you choose to grant an effect of this feature to an ally instead of yourself (as mentioned in the effect's description), you do so using your Telepathy feature.

• You carefully examine the motions that a creature takes to make its attacks and determine how to best deflect them. You or one ally of your choice can add your proficiency bonus to their/your AC against any attack roll made by that single creature until the end of your next turn.
    • You study the areas of the body which the creature prefers to strike and ascertain how to best avoid taking damage. You or one ally of your choice can decrease the damage roll of any attack made by that single target by your proficiency bonus until the end of your next turn.
    • You look for any less well protected part of the creature and determine how to aim there the best. You or one ally of your choice can add your proficiency bonus to any attack rolls made against that single creature until the end of your next turn.
    • You assess where the vital areas of a creature is and deduce how to best strike them. You or one ally of your choice can add your proficiency bonus to any damage rolls made against that single target until the end of your next turn.

I’m combining my comments in regards to Flawless Analyst and Improved Analysis in one as I believe they should be a single feature as 1) Flawless Analyst alone is (imo) a ribbon which shouldn’t stand alone as the class defining feature, 2) the guessing game with the ranges makes the feature depend a lot on guessing and might slow down the game flow if multiple guesses had to be made and responded to, and 3) it seems odd to have a feature and then give an upgraded feature one level later.

First, general comments in regards to both features… Flawless Analyst notes that it does not work if you are blinded. Does this include not working in darkness (assuming you cannot see – or even if you can, as darkvision only allows for shades of grey)? What about areas of dim light where perception is generally impacted? In regards to Improved Analysis, I would suggest that you don’t tie any of the features to proficiency bonus as this would allow the feature to scale with any class on a (multi-class) dip. Any class would greatly benefit from a 2 level dip in this class as it would allow for a +6 (at upper levels) to either AC, attack roll, or – to a lesser extent – the damage buff or decrease. Consider replacing this with a bonus tied specifically to this class (e.g. Insight Bonus) that scales similarly to something like Barbarian’s Rage bonus.

This is how I would change/combine the two features (noting that it would be the class defining feature given at level 1).

Of course, and this may be a good thing, some design space would open up at level 2. You’d need an additional feature.

Revised Flawless Analysis
    Your observational skills have been honed to an uncanny degree of excellence. Even while in the heat of combat you can quickly examine your opponent or obstacle and determine their strengths and weaknesses.

The act of doing so is mentally exhausting though so you can only do it a limited number of times. Your ability to exercise this talent is represented by Analysis Points. You have a number of Analysis Points equal to your intelligence modifier. All uses are restored after you complete a short or long rest.
    If you choose to grant an effect of this feature to an ally instead of yourself (as mentioned in the effect's description), the ally must be able to see or hear you and uses their reaction to gain the benefit of the feature.

• You draw upon your knowledge and deductive reasoning to discern the strengths and weaknesses of an observed creature. Make an Investigation check against a DC of 10 + the creature’s CR. If you are successful, you learn the creature’s AC, normal HPs, damage resistances and vulnerabilities, attack types, and any special features. A creature is aware of this observation and may react accordingly.
    • You carefully examine the motions that a creature takes to make its attacks and determine how to best deflect them. You or one ally of your choice can add your Insight bonus to their/your AC against any attack roll made by that single creature until the end of your next turn.
    • You study the areas of the body which the creature prefers to strike and ascertain how to best avoid taking damage. You or one ally of your choice can decrease the damage roll of any attack made by that single target by your Insight bonus until the end of your next turn.
    • You look for any less well protected part of the creature and determine how to aim there the best. You or one ally of your choice can add your Insight bonus to any attack rolls made against that single creature until the end of your next turn.
    • You assess where the vital areas of a creature is and deduce how to best strike them. You or one ally of your choice can add your Insight bonus to any damage rolls made against that single target until the end of your next turn.

Expertise (level 1)
    Choose two of your skill proficiencies, two of your tool proficiencies, or a skill proficiency and a tool proficiency. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

At level 10, you choose another two proficiencies to gain this benefit.

I’d like to see this more geared to this specific class rather than a cut/paste. Perhaps re-flavor the feature name and lock in “expertise” with Investigation with one additional skill or tool of choice? It might be also be fun to add the Insight Bonus to passive perception.

Telepathy (level 2)
    You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 120 feet of you.

You don't need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language. Whenever you send a telepathic message to a creature, they can decide to immediately send another message back.

Whenever you use your Flawless Analyst feature, you may also decide to immediately and telepathically send the information you learned to up to ten allies within range.

Is the intent here that you do not need to speak a common language with the targeted creature(s)?

At level 13, You can use your action to establish a telepathic bond with a willing creature that you have been within 120 feet of for at least an hour. A bonded target can telepthically communicate with you beyond any distance so long as you are both on the same plane of existence. A bonded target can send telepathic messages to you at any time and vice versa. You can only be bonded with one creature at a time. This bond ends whenever you use this feature to create a bond with another creature, or if you consciously decide to drop it on your turn (no action required).

I think the addition of “on your turn…” is probably unnecessary.

Unconventional Actions (level 3)
    As an Investigator you have become accustomed to assissting your group fight enemies by performing the activities which others can rarely afford to do. Because of this you can frequently commit to these tasks with more efficiency than ohters. You gain all of the following benefits.

Dodge: While under the effects of the Dodge action you have advantage on all saving throws and the action's benefits cannot end prematurely if your speed is dropped to 0.

Help: If you take the Help action to aid an ally in making an attack roll, then you do not need to be within 5 ft of the target so long as that ally can be affected by your Telepathy and you can see the target.

Search: If you take the Search action on your turn you can use a bonus action to make a single weapon attack.

Use an Object: You can interact with up to five objects on your turn before you must make the Use an Object action to interact with a sixth.

Stabilize: When you use your action to administer first aid to a creature with 0 hit points, you automatically succeed on the check and the target regains an amount of hit points equal to your intelligence modifier.

How is the Use an Object feature intended to interact with things such as drinking a potion? Also, I’m not sure stabilize really fits in the Investigator theme you have going… it’s more a Scholar type niche.

Empirical Archetype (level 3)
    At 3rd level, you choose an empirical archetype. The archetype you choose grants you features at 3rd level and again at 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th and 14th level.

Calculated Strike (level 4)
    You have learned to put all of your focus into carefully measuring out how to best hit your opponent. You may use a bonus action on your turn to target one enemy whithin 150 ft of you that you can see. After the target has been chosen make an Intelligence (Investigation) with a DC equal to 8 + the target's dexterity modifier + the target's proficiency bonus. If you succeed on this check then the next weapon attack you make against that target until the end of your current turn is a critical hit. In additon, if you roll a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll which has the benefit of this feature, you can re-roll the die and must use the new roll.

It might be cleaner to make the DC here equal to 8 + the target’s AC (for example).

Ability Score Improvement (Level 4)
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 17th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Psychic Linguist (level 6)
    You learn an additional two languages of your choice. This can inlcude languages spoken only by one type of creature, such as gnoll or yeti.

In addition to that, you have recieved the ability to telepathically probe the mind of somebody and learn a language which they know. Choose one creature within 120 ft. of you that you have heard speak. The target must then succeed on a wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to your passive Intelligence (Investigation) score. If the target is willing, then they have disadvantage on the check. On a failure you automatically learn one language of your choice that they know, but on a success nothing happens.

Either way, the target cannot tell that you have tried to use this trait on them unless they are proficient with insight . Creatures which have proficiency with insight suffer a harmless migraine if they are subjected to this feature, but cannot pinpoint the exact cause.

You can understand, speak, read and write this language you learned until you complete a long rest, after which it fades from your memory.

Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

At level 16, a target of this feature automatically fails the saving throw unless it is immune to mind reading effects. In additon to that, you learn another two languages.

If the target is willing, I don’t see the need to force a saving throw at all.

Psionic Warcry (level 18)
    Whenver you use your Improved Analysis feature, instead of granting that benefit to one target or yourself, you may instead give that effect to you and up to 10 creatures (using your Telepathy).
    Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

I would consider long rest ONLY as a recovery. A lot of power here (as you’re in the +6 to everything now). If you do make a change to the core feature (such as requiring a reaction on the part of the recipient), you could probably get away with short or long recoveries.

Blindsight (level 20)
    Not only has your ability to observe by sight become unparalleled, but your other senses too have reached a capacity beyond belief. You have blindsight out to a 120 ft. radius. Because of this, you no longer need to see a target to be able to use any feature or spell which requires it. This feature does not work if you are deafened.

I don’t feel the deafened part is needed --– this is a capstone (and, as the first sentence indicates, the other four sense would more than make up for the [temporary] loss of hearing)

In closing, I like the class but there are expected power bumps at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels. The archetypes might cover this at 11th level but it’s certainly not a traditional progression of features.

Again, sorry for the brief review, but I wanted to squeeze in this one (and one additional) before the contest ends.

Best of luck!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

It's the home stretch. Good luck everyone.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alright everyone, the voting period begins in almost exactly 24 hours, so if you have any last minute changes add those in really quick. Once voting begins no changes can be made to the class.
    -

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

@ Mourne

Thank you for giving me such a great review. I will make sure to at least consider all of this.

1) The reason why Flawless Analyst is given at 1st level and the next level I gave Improved Analysis was mainly for simplicity's sake. Although both are fueled by the same points, they have very different effects. I thought that the feature would look too confusing if it was all one massive feature and people might be duanted by it too much. The actual technical difference isn't that much by making two seperate features, but it makes it a lot easier for some people to comprehend. That and I didn't want to frontload the Investigator with such a great feature at 1st level and wanted to spread it out a little more. This decision was made for User Interactivity Simplicity over any sort of in game mechanical reason.

2) The guessing of ranges would indeed take a little bit, but I don't think it would take any longer than casting does. If the person plans out what they want ahead of time it shouldn't take too long. And a lot of time when you are looking for specific distances you would already have a pretty good idea of what something was higher than. The only major reason this process would go slow is if people were doing it inefficiently.

3) For Improved Analysis I think that the proficiency bonus works a lot better than using some sort of die. The way it is currently is a lot simpler and quicker and is more distinguished from the bard's inspiration. I also think that the flat bonus gives a superficial appearance of extra power, though exactly why I can't tell. And really I am not factoring multi-classing into this equation at all, as that is something which is nearly impossible to control well due to the sheer number of different class options.

4) I don't really think it is a good idea to make Investigators have Investigation as one of their expertise options (as odd as that sounds). It devalues the feature a little. And I don't believe I fully understand how exactly one could substitute Passive Perception with Insight, as the two are fairly different things. How exactly does one become so great at telling when someone is lying that they can suddenly detect the presence of traps better? That being said, I don't think it is a great idea to change the name as Expertise is a well recognized name for the mechanism.

5) The main idea of Telepathy was to be an explanation of how you are transmitting the information you got from Flawless Analyst to an ally without alerting the enemy of what you found. I quickly realized that by just verbal speaking, an enemy could hear what you are telling an ally too. That and I think the Telepathy gives Investigators a sort of eldritch flavor which makes them seem more at place in a D&D world.

6) The Uncoventional Action allows you to take the Use an Object Action as described in the PHB. If something states that it takes an action to use, such as drinking or administering a potion, then it is not covered by the Use an Object Action. Ironically, sometimes using an object is not considered part of the Use an Object Action. And the reason stabilize is there is the same reason why Unconventional Actions is there in the first place. You are better at doing what everyone else typically can't afford to do due to action economy. It's not much of a reliable healing system either.

7) I fail to see why the DC of calculated strike should be the target's AC. That feels just sort of weird to me. In the first part of calculated strike you aren't hitting the target with a gaze attack, you are just sort of analyzing them.

8) I still think it makes much more sense for the Investigator to have a chance to fail to pick up the language even if the target is willing. I am willing to bet many would find it weird that it can't fail on a willing target.

9) Psionic Warcry is a level 18 feature, I think it can stand to be a little powerful. Analyst still only lasts one turn and only against one enemy, so I don't see anything terrible with the +6 bonus even then.

10) Yeah, I got rid of the clause that states that being Deafened negates Blindsight. I also made it so that Analyst still works while someone is blinded.

A lot of good stuff here @Morne, thank you for all your help. Sorry I didn't accept many of your changes, I just thought through a lot of this a head of time. If I had the time I would do a review of yours. My apologies once again. And one final time, thank you.
    -

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The competition is now over and the voting period has begun. You have one week to submit your votes. Please go over the rules again before you do so.
    -

14. - Top - End - #134
    Colossus in the Playground

Req, can you edit the first post in the Voting Thread, so people know it's voting time?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Req, can you edit the first post in the Voting Thread, so people know it's voting time?
    Aye. I just took care of that.
    -

16. - Top - End - #136

Aye. I just took care of that.
    Many thanks.

Also, Phoenix, mind if I get a rationale behind your numbers on the Marshal? I totally get 2/5 fluff (I gave virtually none) but I feel it was pretty on-theme. Marshals don't get spells, and you can contribute pretty well levels 1-10 without ever making an attack roll. Levels 11+ you'll start making one a turn, at least, in combat, since you have Swing And 'Spire, but I hardly feel one attack per round starting at Tier 3 of play is themebreaking much.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Many thanks.

Also, Phoenix, mind if I get a rationale behind your numbers on the Marshal? I totally get 2/5 fluff (I gave virtually none) but I feel it was pretty on-theme. Marshals don't get spells, and you can contribute pretty well levels 1-10 without ever making an attack roll. Levels 11+ you'll start making one a turn, at least, in combat, since you have Swing And 'Spire, but I hardly feel one attack per round starting at Tier 3 of play is themebreaking much.
    A 3 for me is normal. I'll go back and look at it. It just didn't strike me when I read it, I guess.

Edit: I'll edit my rankings. The total doesn't change much, but the focus is different. Re-reading, it does fit the theme well, but the mechanics are confusing as heck, mainly due to cryptic writing. You get Extra Attack twice, but don't usually make attacks? Spending a whole round (~1/3 of an average combat) to get back points feels...annoying. I know it's a mechanic from 3e's ToB, but I don't like it.

So that puts it at 5 Theme (good), 2 Fluff (I don't have a mental picture of what he's doing), and 2 Mechanics. Total 9/15.

And I guess I interpreted the theme a bit differently--I was more focused on the "non-overtly-magic" side, and figured as long as you can do something else in combat and elsewhere (the Protean was all about movement, with one that gains lots of benefits to grappling) it would work. I didn't see the theme as being "don't make attack rolls" as much as "do something other than just attack every round." :shrug:
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2018-05-24 at 02:27 PM.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

18. - Top - End - #138

A 3 for me is normal. I'll go back and look at it. It just didn't strike me when I read it, I guess.

And I guess I interpreted the theme a bit differently--I was more focused on the "non-overtly-magic" side, and figured as long as you can do something else in combat and elsewhere (the Protean was all about movement, with one that gains lots of benefits to grappling) it would work. I didn't see the theme as being "don't make attack rolls" as much as "do something other than just attack every round." :shrug:
    I feel like Inspiration meets that pretty well. The Auras are passive (though can be swapped around as needed, for a little active use) but Inspiration is something to do other than attack.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I feel like Inspiration meets that pretty well. The Auras are passive (though can be swapped around as needed, for a little active use) but Inspiration is something to do other than attack.
    Edited with my reread. The theme is fine, but those mechanics...I wasn't sure what I was reading there.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Oh JNA, I believe you said you couldn't acess the homebrewery link for the Investigator properly? Here is a PDF of it.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/p...nz?dialog=true
    -

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alright, here are the points each class has scored so far. You can also find this list in the OP of the voting thread.

Voting Points
    Investigator (By the Messiah): 9,001
    Inventor (By WarrentheHero): 16
    Seeker (By Mourne): 7
    Investigator (By Requilac): 7
    Daredevil (By Jormengard): 6
    Insurgent (By Ninjaprawn): 5
    Spirit Caller (By MoleMage): 5
    Marshal (By JNA productions): 1
    Protean (By Pheonixphyre): 1

Well holy flying cow batman! @ Warren, you could have at least given us a chance.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-05-26 at 04:15 PM.
    -

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

How much longer 'til voting closes? It's pretty close from 2nd down to 6th places, and Jormengand hasn't voted yet so the leaderboard could yet be turned on its head!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    How much longer 'til voting closes? It's pretty close from 2nd down to 6th places, and Jormengand hasn't voted yet so the leaderboard could yet be turned on its head!
    Voting closes on the 30th. We still have a decent amount of time left.
    -

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sorry, It didn't get complete. I also didn't have time to fix formating. Holiday weekend and spontaneous family killed the time.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-05-26 at 08:46 PM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Do we want to continue the discussion of next contest's theme? I floated some ideas from earlier, and there's some good ones from the first discussion. Personally, I don't like Incarnum as an idea, cause I worry everyone is going to end up making "you have X body slots, each slot can hold Y incarnum, here's your list of incarnum options" classes. I worry there won't be enough variety in mechanics. That and I never really got Incarnum from 3.5.

I'm partial to Dragons, in part because I have a class I've been half-working on for a while that is totally Dragons. Failing that, elements can still be cool. I shouldn't have posted my elemental Swordmage in a PEACH thread before knowing the new theme though! I also have a few threads of ideas of Terror and/or Phobia.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I have made some slight rules changes to the upcoming 2nd competition, which you can see below. Most of them were suggested by @WarrentheHero. The biggest change is that you will be allowed (but not required) to make an individual thread for you class.

Spoiler: D&D 5e Base Class Contest II- Submissions Thread
    Show
    Welcome to the 2nd competition between playgrounders to create a homebrewed base class for Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition. This concept was heavily based around the Base Class Contests for 3.5e on this forum, but they are by no means officially related and this competition runs on slightly a slightly different ruleset. Please only place the your class submissions in this thread and leave other comments for the chat thread. The rules for the contest are as follows.
    1) The class you homebrew should follow the theme of X
    2) You may only create one base class. If you create more than one class then you must choose which one to enter and remove all the others from this thread and the contest (making them invalid) . If you do not specify which one you favor by the time voting begins, all of your content is invalid.
    3) When you submit your class you must create a post on this thread which either has the content or holds a link to it. You may also optionally create one other individual thread for your class on the homebrew design sub-forum. If it is found that you have revealed your class on another site or on another thread then one on the homebrew design sub-forum, you will be disqualified. If you do make a specific thread for you class, please mention its involvement to the competition in that thread.
    4) You may use other homebrew content (such as feats, spells, magical items and monsters) or even features which you have created elsewhere to supplement your class, but these must be written at least partially by you. Taking a concept from someone else’s homebrew is acceptable, but the exact mechanics cannot be the same. Failure to comply to either of the previous two rules will result in disqualification.
    5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due at 11:59 pm on June 23rd Eastern Standard Time. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
    6) Any content which has been declared invalid by the rules above cannot be voted for, but you may decide to remove it from the contest and create another class instead. If you are disqualified then you are not allowed to enter any more homebrew for this competition, though you may still vote and later enter the next competition.
    7) Please note that misunderstandings occur, if you break a rule which results in disqualification it might be excused if you can convince the group that it was a result of confusion over the rules.

Keep in mind that this contest is entirely for recreational purposes and there is no reward (aside from bragging rights) for someone who succeeds. Let us begin!

Spoiler: D&D 5e Base Class Contest II- Voting Thread
    Show
    Welcome playgrounders, here is the thread in which you vote for which homebrewed class entered in the current D&D 5e Base Class is the greatest. The voting period will take place between 1:00 am on June 23rd to 11:59 pm on June 30th Eastern Standard time. Votes made outside of that time range while not be included in the total score of each class. It is not necessary for you to compete to vote. If you wish to vote, then give a first, second and third place vote. A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. A person who votes for their own class must change their vote before the voting period ends or be disqualified. It is suggested that you include the reasoning for your votes, but it is not necessary. Let us begin.

Spoiler: D&D 5e Base Class Contest II- Chat Thread
    Show
    Welcome to the chat thread for the Base Class Competitions for D&D 5e. If you wish to say anything about the competition which is neither a submission nor a vote, then it belongs here. You do not need to be a contestant to post here. You are allowed to critique a competitor’s work and offer suggestions on how to improve their homebrew through this thread, but it is preferred if you do so through that class’ specific thread (if applicable). I will also be holding discussions over what the next competition’s theme should be in here. Let us begin.

Do we want to continue the discussion of next contest's theme? I floated some ideas from earlier, and there's some good ones from the first discussion. Personally, I don't like Incarnum as an idea, cause I worry everyone is going to end up making "you have X body slots, each slot can hold Y incarnum, here's your list of incarnum options" classes. I worry there won't be enough variety in mechanics. That and I never really got Incarnum from 3.5.

I'm partial to Dragons, in part because I have a class I've been half-working on for a while that is totally Dragons. Failing that, elements can still be cool. I shouldn't have posted my elemental Swordmage in a PEACH thread before knowing the new theme though! I also have a few threads of ideas of Terror and/or Phobia.
    My personal favorite would have to be terror/fear/phobias too. I was never a big fan of the whole "four elements" system anyhow. It seemed way too unoriginal and inconsistent in nature to me. Dragons are cool and all, but if you ask me, a little overdone. Don't we already have enough dragon themed stuff as is> Terror is a cool subject to go off of and I have got several ideas as to what I could use for that.
    -

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

My personal favorite would have to be terror/fear/phobias too. I was never a big fan of the whole "four elements" system anyhow. It seemed way too unoriginal and inconsistent in nature to me. Dragons are cool and all, but if you ask me, a little overdone. Don't we already have enough dragon themed stuff as is> Terror is a cool subject to go off of and I have got several ideas as to what I could use for that.
    I don't have any good ideas for this one. If terror's the theme, I'll have to sit this one out (at least for now). Can't think of anything and it's well outside my usual wheelhouse.

I would like to see more discussion up front about how people understand the theme and feedback about how well things fit the theme. I can tell I had a very different idea of what the theme was for the last one than most people did. Doesn't really matter, but it was a bit disappointing to reach the voting and realize that it didn't fit very well without having had any feedback to that earlier.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I don't have any good ideas for this one. If terror's the theme, I'll have to sit this one out (at least for now). Can't think of anything and it's well outside my usual wheelhouse.

I would like to see more discussion up front about how people understand the theme and feedback about how well things fit the theme. I can tell I had a very different idea of what the theme was for the last one than most people did. Doesn't really matter, but it was a bit disappointing to reach the voting and realize that it didn't fit very well without having had any feedback to that earlier.
    I think some people didn't like the protean because although it didn't cast any spells, it felt too magical. I am guessing some people were just craving for some non-magical classes too and found themselves disappointed by the magical weirdness of the Protean. I explicitly stated that the class could have magical powers so long as those weren't spells, but I guess some people had other expectations in mind. I didn't think your class breached the theme at least.
    -

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I think some people didn't like the protean because although it didn't cast any spells, it felt too magical. I am guessing some people were just craving for some non-magical classes too and found themselves disappointed by the magical weirdness of the Protean. I explicitly stated that the class could have magical powers so long as those weren't spells, but I guess some people had other expectations in mind. I didn't think your class breached the theme at least.
    The comments I saw mostly addressed the "not a martial" part--they complained about mostly making attacks in combat (which is only sort of true, as one was all about grappling and shoving). :Shrug:

It might be wise to keep the themes to a single word--terror, not "induces fear". Vague but evocative is the sweet spot IMO.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As an outside "neutral" observer (that is, I didn't submit anything but still voted), I thought yours fit the theme pretty well. I liked the concept of it.

I would be concerned that "terror" is pretty narrow for a contest like this (especially with the broad classes of 5e), but it might be interesting to see what people would bring.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"