New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What kind of Niche Would you Give Centaurs in Your Setting?

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Does this work?
    Probably? I mean, it works as well as anything.
    Really appreciate that we know where the thing's penis and testicles are.

Aaracockra are way harder to spec. Where are their breast muscles? Where are their specialized respiratory air sacs that let them maintain aerobic flight? How are they as resilient as other creature when they must have hollow bones?

Admittedly, most of these problems exist for dragons as well.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-04-24 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Does this work?

Spoiler
    Show
    No, it's the exact problem we were discussing earlier - the human torso just doesn't have sufficient volume to accommodate the size of lung you'd need (even if you strip out the other organs, you're still only looking at about 1/5 of the volume you'd need). Hence, the horse body would have to have functional lungs - either in place of the human lungs or in addition to them.

(By the way, I know I'm probably coming across as a pedantic git, but for what it's worth I'm not trying to be. I just find it interesting to consider the internal anatomy of unusual creatures and whether or not it could really work.)

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    Aaracockra are way harder to spec. Where are their breast muscles? Where are their specialized respiratory air sacs that let them maintain aerobic flight? How are they as resilient as other creature when they must have hollow bones?
    Indeed, though these problems are common to most flying fantasy creatures (in addition to having wings that are far too small in proportion to their bodies).

It's a shame because hollow/fragile bones could make for a pretty interesting weakness for a flying race.

Admittedly, most of these problems exist for dragons as well.
    If anything, dragons are even worse - as they're much larger and vastly heavier. Is there anything saying that their movement/flight is aided by magic in some way?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    If anything, dragons are even worse - as they're much larger and vastly heavier. Is there anything saying that their movement/flight is aided by magic in some way?
    A standing D&D assumption is that lots of things (all things?) are magic, but not all magic is the same. That is, there's an in-universe distinction between those things that require the ambient, all-pervasive magical field to work and those that manipulate it in ways that act like spells or other explicitly magical effects.

That is, dragons are magic, even if they don't do magic. And this innate power isn't patterned like a spell, so it's not affected by AMF (for example) but might be by a dead magic zone (where the field just isn't strong enough).
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

The brain/bodymass ratio is still a problem in that model. Here is my solution...

-the lower body is pretty much like a horse, excepting that the connections to the humanish part is distinct
    -the upper body’s skeleton and muscular system are comparable to an adult human, excepting that there is more cartilage to support and protect...
    -the internal system of the human portion is mostly larger-than-it-appears respiratory and digestive opening; with necessary changes to the voice-box/speaking apparatus to accommodate such a change
    -extra brain tissue, perhaps filling much of the human torso or perhaps supplementary elsewhere, exists to coordinate muscle activity in such a large animal that also has manual dexterity and speech motor functions to manage

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's a funny image, but I take serious issue with the assertion that aaracockra physiology makes any kind of anatomical sense.

I mean, sure, in a general sense, that is where the wings go, but that's also where the arms go, so how is this thing sporting both? That's got to be one heck of a complicated collarbone situation. And where are the breast muscles. You know, the muscles that make the wings go flap? With a balor or dragon or equivalently magical species, they at least have a massive chest space that could theoretically contain the muscles necessary... but with aaracockra, they're downright shrimpy!

Centaurs, by comparison actually work pretty well anatomically, even if it seems less organic. A horse is capable of supporting a human body at that joint, after all. The internal organ situation is, complex, sure, but there's no reason he couldn't have two hearts, or some other needlessly complicated situation.
    Aaracockra's aren't realistic but extra limbs still takes a much smaller suspension of disbelief than a whole different ribcage, IMO. Like centaurs aren't a horse-like man thing or a man-like horse thing, they're most of a full horse, then most of a full man. Just seems silly.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Indeed, though these problems are common to most flying fantasy creatures (in addition to having wings that are far too small in proportion to their bodies).

It's a shame because hollow/fragile bones could make for a pretty interesting weakness for a flying race.
    They could have a custom trait in your campaign to give that extra flavour without too much trouble:

Hollow Bones: [creature name] have hollow bones, which allow(ed) flight. As a result, [creature name] are vulnerable to bludgeoning damage when not wearing medium or heavy armor.
    That's even not too critical -- the only ranged weapons that deal bludgeoning damage (aside from monster-specific tactics like chucking rocks at you) are slings, and at least in my experience bows and crossbows are much more common!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Between two sets of lungs, digestive systems, and various organs, it should be possible to cut down a bit on either, and in their place include some nerve centres that can do much of the work of the human-sized brain.
    As for lungs, the distance between horse nostrils and horse lungs on one hand, and centaur nostrils and centaur lungs on the other - not that big a difference. Consider that elephants can breathe comfortably through their trunks while swimming.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

What kind of niche? Hmmmm.

entire race of hulking hurlers

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be tempted to make them almost an equivalent to Driders - in that they weren't born centaurs but rather were made into such as a punishment.
    In one setting I did, this is essentially how they came about. Lolth cursed a bunch of wild elven horsemen for their part in defeating the drow, turning them into centaurs. There, they're a nomadic race of dudebros who party hard and raid the elves less than they do everyone else. The wise do not fight a centaur raid, but instead break out the booze - the horsemen would rather party than fight.

In another setting? Love springs, shamelessly ripped off from the Xanth series.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Centaurs were always like the Mongol Empire, or the Dothraki in my mind. Brutal raiders and talented fighters/archers, who primarily hoard weapons and magical items (what use would they have for gold?) and fight amongst themselves. When they have to, they ally with orcs and ogres, as cavalry and scouts. For me, they are the barbarian-type monsters in the desert or plains, while orcs are in the mountains and goblins are in the forest.
    Last edited by Mad Max; 2018-05-12 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarification