New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RC's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC

DM

Spoiler
    Show
    I think this still counts as knowledge Geography even though it's reasonably close by.

Kaylee could tell you all that Barovia is "West from here, a bit" but before she can the man answers himself:

"Barovia lies to the west, a full day's ride from here. You would be wise to leave at first light. They say the Svalich Woods are not safe at night."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2018-04-18 at 01:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Alice looks at the messenger with excitement. To have such sense of timing, the moment the conversation was getting close so intense... And even have a shady messenger! That was the stuff of legends, truly. The thought of it possibly being a trap didn't really come to her, as she wasn't the type to care. She would happily walk into an ambush if she was able to cut through the culprit...

She appreciated Aliza's reading greatly and then took her turn to take the letter, but instead of reading it, she pulled out a book from her backpack and cast a spell. The content of the letter seemed to copy itself into the blank page of the book. Satisfied with that much, she puts the letter back to the table and stuffs away the book.

"Sounds like we have found the heretical magic you've been looking for, Sir Cedric." She said, smiling wryly, as she looked at the others. That was a good reaction, very earnest. "I'll be in your care!" She declared to nobody in particular, as though it was only natural for her to tag along, that they'll be traveling as a group. She was a poor planner and a worse navigator, and her travel method of choice was to impose on others or offer to guard travelers, especially merchants.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

As the letter is passed around to him, Ekius has to resist the urge to crumple it in disgust. Barovia. It always came back to Barovia.

"Indeed, he speaks the truth. I would not be one to travel these roads after sunset. It's cold, and there are wolves."
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

The sheer giddyness of the young-soul makes the attempt at a polite smile to the messenger that much easier to deliver. "Thank you very much for your information. May you return safely to your home, wherever it may be." Aliza says to the man, bending at the waist to bow to him, her long crimson ponytail brushing against the floor.

Righting herself, she turns to look at the group at large. The measure of a person's worth is in their actions. How will the rest of you choose to act. She wonders, eventually focusing her gaze on Ekius. "If you are familiar with these roads, then perhaps you could find somewhere for those who remain behind to stay. Hopefully they will have a pleasant evening. Good night." she says, keeping her voice a little more monotonous than normal as to avoid insinuating anything with her phrasing.

And with one more nod to the gathering, Aliza turns toward the exit, her long hair all but cracking like a whip, as she takes to the night, in the direction indicated for her, her mind and nerves resolute.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2018-04-18 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to designate Intenral Thoughts.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Alice, as long as we can agree that some tools that some would consider evil can still serve a good purpose and that neither the tools nor the persons that may be forced to rely on them should be outright condemned, I believe we will be able to make common cause. And indeed, looks like we may have found a cause worthy of investigation, though it's quite likely that the 'curse' in this case is nothing more than mundane disease that the local hedge wizard can't cure by shouting at it. However..." Cedric is interrupted by Aliza's hasty departure, and snaps an irritated comment at her: "Oh for crying out loud, at least give anyone who intends to blindly wander around the woods with you a chance to gather up their possessions before rushing off. You're no good for any victim of curse or cold if you get knocked out running into trees." The prospect of adventure having apparently wiped away all attempts at humor, he continues to the still seated members of what is apparently now a party of adventurers: "If we're going to be traveling together, even for a short time, would be wise to quickly account for our abilities, as well as agreeing on the basic rules of this partnership. Poor logistics have laid low mightier armies than ours. As I told you, I'm a wizard, a knight and a priest of Mystra. The lady of magic grants me the power to heal and protect, as well as to break the power of hostile mages and see through their deception. I can also summon many strange and powerful creatures to our aid". Standing up, he reaches for the glaive that was leaning against the wall. "If that doesn't work, I can also poke things with a really big stick! As for traveling together and the rewards that may come from it, I propose a equal share of any rewards for all members of the group, with 10% of total gains set aside for group expenses. Group expenses to be approved by a majority of the group. New members allowed in, or old ones removed, by a two thirds majority vote. Oh, and no running off in the night with no idea how to navigate an unknown landscape in the dark, with no directions beyond 'west' and not knowing if the wolves around here are the kind that eat sheep or the kind that eat sheep herders."

Edit: clarifying why he doesn't favour running off right away.
    Last edited by Sam K; 2018-04-18 at 01:30 AM.
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

As Cedric's barb followed Aliza out through the door, she stopped in her tracks, turning around to listen to his talking to the others. That's his sort, I suppose. She scowls a bit, her arms folded across her chest, shield arm out, as he goes over how rewards and dividends are to be accounted for. As he finishes with his last jeer regarding her, she smiles. "You will forgive my seeming lack of caution. In the past, the direction of fate and the ability to put one foot in front of the other is all I or my allies would require. I should not expect anyone else to be as apt to be prepared, skilled though you all might be, to face evil at the drop of a hat." She sighs deeply, stepping back into the tavern. "I would have moved on tonight, not merely because I can manage through the Darkness just fine, but because of the purpose given to me. To us, if this gathering is to be unified and my presence to be allowed. I for one have faced Evil many times head on, and not only bore witness to, but have directly experienced the consequences of allowing those with wicked intent additional time for their dark designs. Sunset and wolves are the least of my concerns if this is the premonition Tyr bore for me, and other than the viability of the trip, should they concern you as you prepare to rest tonight, please ruminate carefully on whether or not you would risk your lives in the first place. You may not have a second chance to do so."

Aliza allows her shield-arm to hang by her side, and raises the right across her breast in salute, and in that moment, her inner light seems to flow out from her, as the aura of her strength of character exudes forth; as if her sense of duty itself permeated the air, both comforting and yet overbearing. "But The Triad wishes for a powerful injustice to be exposed, for lives to be saved. To that end, they enabled one of their Chosen to task. Not a sheep herder. I have long since given up my right to call myself an adventurer, and care not for the chance to be immortalized in literature or song. I have no desire for glory, or any gain other than what might be needed to stand against evil, no matter what form it may take. And, I must admit, I have little patience for sitting around speaking of means and ends while others less fortunate suffer on my behalf."

Another deep sigh, and as her right hand finds her hip, her powerful radiance seems to dim, her inner light still palpable, yet no longer filling the area with its warmth. "Should this conversation need be held now, so be it. But should the trip be so long as to be reckless as of late, then maybe such talks could be held until later, once we have readied ourselves and prepared to be off?" she asks, the faintest hint of a plea in her voice, as she scanned the group at large, taking care to try to lock eyes with those who had previously been friendly to her, and meeting Cedric last with a look of steely determination.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2018-04-18 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Retcon Complete, me thinks.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Alice claps and cheers as Aliza makes her speech. "Woo Triad!" She lets out.

"I rather leave sooner than later, but that's always the case, so it's not saying much. I keep sticking to those that know travel better than I am, so I'm pretty useless on that count, and I'll agree to most party arrangements... I mostly sword with some pizazz, martial maneuvers you know? Well, I have a bit of a divine gift from the Triad, but my training focused on the stabbing. I can do some healing, but my support magic is on the weak side."

She turns to Cedric. "As expected of a knight, to jump at the first chance to boss people around, hehe!" Alice adds with a snicker.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

8. - Top - End - #38

Cedric winks at Alice. "Some have a talent for swinging swords, some have a talent for getting us to the place where the sword will do the most good." With a hint of cheerfulness, he turns to Aliza. "I understand your motivations better than you may think. Allow me to propose a solution that I believe will satisfy us both. Our destination is a days ride away. Walking, it would be at least two, possibly more if we account for the fact that some of us may be slowed down by heavy loads. We could be further delayed by darkness possible wildlife. On the other hand, if we rent horses and leave at dawn, we would be there before sunset tomorrow: faster than if we set off unprepared tonight, and we will arrive better prepared. Making sure we have a working agreement, including how we split profits and deal with costs ensures that everyone will have a horse even if they cannot afford one. Horses do not travel well at night over rough ground, though, so there is time to work this out before we leave, though we should secure the horses right away.

Finally, we should consider that we may be acting on false information. This letter could well be a decoy from the very witches we are supposed to deal with. Arriving exhausted, ill prepared and with no tactics on how to work together would play right into their hands."

Apparently satisfied with his tirade, for this time, he leans his glaive against the wall and sits down again. That said, I will respect the decision of the majority on this matter. Dragonborn, you seem to know the terrain. How bad is it?"
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Shota

When Aliza locks eyes with Shota you can see the look of someone who eagerly wants to leave with you, but is so fatigued from her travels that she probably wouldn't make it much farther. You guess she's walked far beyond what a halfling would normally walk in a day already (probably from pushing herself to keep up).

Spoiler: Aliza
    Show

You know, because of your awesome wisdom score and ranks in sense motive.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Kaylee clears her throat, the noise cutting through the general chatter. She stands, her cloak flowing around her, and sweeps her gaze over the assembled group. "I would be happy to lend my power to helping these people. I also think that traveling through the woods at night on little sleep is begging for trouble. If the contents of this letter are true, the curse is dangerous, but not so much that the difference of a day will change anything."

She pauses for a moment, marshaling her words, before continuing. "If we set out at dawn, rested, I think it would end up being better for these people. I have enough to get a horse, and I would be more than amenable to splitting whatever is offered for our help, assuming I earn my keep."

Having said her piece, she waits to see what the group's consensus will be.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Patience, Aliza. There is more going on here than you are aware."

Ekius leans back in his chair and orders another mug of mead.

"If you must leave tonight, I will do my best to recover your remains in the morning."

He takes a swig and turns back to the rest of the group.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Trux is somewhat pleased that some of the big smooth-skinned snootless folk speak his native tongue! He's rather more eloquent in Draconic, which he speaks while ducking under Alice's swinging sword: <Oh, yes, the stew is definitely passable. I like the chunks of... stuff. Good chunks.>

But then Alice is sad that they're speaking a language she can't, so he reverts to Common: "Much sorry." He eyes Alice, trying to track her words at length, losing track halfway through, catching only the gist, but then Cedric addresses Trux and the kobold perks up again!

Except Cedric's asking why Trux is alone, and Trux hadn't thought so far ahead as to what he would tell people about his banishment. "A... thing... did a happen?" Eventually he decides some of the truth is allowable: "The elders did me a banish. Much sad. Now I can do you milk-drinkers a shamanry instead! Much useful, very power. But not alone! Doing a travel with..." He looks around. Has he lost track of his traveling companions, because he hasn't been travelling with them long enough to get their face engraved in his memory and all the smooth-skins look alike to him and maybe he has a touch of prosopagnosia? No, there she is, the one who's the closer to the proper size instead of giant! He points a claw at her, "Shota does you smoothskins a great big cute, much distract, very no swords, good."

Then Trux distracts himself from that question by observing that the party is here to fight evil! He bobs his scaly head, "Oh, yes, Bahamut does evil a great big smite!" He does a little kung-fu wa-pow with his fists, almost upending his stew, which he then returns to slurping. Never mind that Tiamat and Kurtulmak do good a great smite; his Mysterious Patron Of Angelic Mystery tells him to follow Bahamut, so he does, even though he was raised to ritually revere the other two, which he also does.

Again with the snootless folk losing him with their discussion of good and evil! He follows along gamely, pondering each side's arguments. He'd never really thought about undead or their use before -- none of his gods/patrons really have a specific opinion on the subject, although, like, two of them dislike them on general principle and the other two do not.

Then all is distracted by the messenger! He listens as Aliza reads the letter aloud, "Ooh, doing us an adventure!" He ponders the task! Undoing a curse? "Witches do a curse? Much ritual, very religion! Will need..." This is the sort of thing he used to do for his community! Never mind that he never successfully removed any curses, he knows the rituals that are supposed to work even though they don't, and that's what's important. He ponders, slipping back into Draconic: <salt, ideally sea salt, always have to trade or raid for that... curry... vervain... ginger... ooh, maybe mallow leaves, if it's a witch curse and not a god curse?> Back to Common: "Maybe can do herbs a collect as we do a travel.

As the party debates leaving sooner or later, he opines, "Fiery skyball does my eyes a great big hurting. Much day, very ow. But! The goggles do my eyes a protect." So he's fine either way, really.

He goes to slurp his stew some more, but finds he has already finished it. He squints at his empty bowl angrily.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

DM

The messenger slips away whilst the party discusses whether to leave now or later.

Having eventually determined that Shota, Ekius and Cedric at least are not prepared to set off into the Svalich woods at night before a good night's rest, daylight and a plan respectively, the party gets a good night's rest in the inn's comfortable beds. The sound of wolves howling in the distance can be heard at several points in the night, but they seem disinclined to venture closer.

In the hour before dawn, Cedric has a quiet chat with the innkeeper who directs him to his stepbrother's stables five minute's walk away. He returns having secured a really quite amazing deal! Four horses and two ponies plus trappings for 35gp per person. The stables would like these animals to be returned within a week (sent back with a reliable messenger is fine). The beasts are insured, but any harm that might come to the creatures or lateness in their return will mean that the party will be sadly unable to do business with this particular stable in future.

Spoiler: Expenses
    Show

35gp for transport, 2gp for a good room at the Inn, 2gp for two good meals and evening drinks. Please debit 39gp from your sheets.

With transport so procured, and a good breakfast under their belts, the party sets out for Barovia! Ekius knows the western road quite well and so the party sets off!

Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors about the muddy roadway. A pall of thick, cold mist spreads over the ground. Giant tree trunks stand guard on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mists. In every direction the fog grows thicker and the forest seems more oppressive.

The party makes good time along the road, held to the speed of Shota's pony. Noon passes by unnoticed in the thick fog and a couple of hours later high stone pillars loom up from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road. Huge iron gates hang from the stonework, dew clinging to their rusting bars. Standing before the pillars are two stone statues of armed guardians armed with wicked polearms. Their carved heads lie among the weeds at their feet, nearly broken from the stone shoulders. As the party approaches within fifty feet the gates screech open slowly.

In the distance wolves howl and the horses shuffle a few steps in place, spooked.
    Spoiler: Barovia
    Show

You approach from the bottom of the image. Note that North is to the right. You are heading West.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2018-04-18 at 09:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

As they head off down the road, Ekius pulls to the side to say a few words before they continue their journey. Having passed this way before, he leads the way. Alas, his memory is somewhat faded from the many years, but he does at least recognize the road and general dangers.

"Stick to the roads. Do not wander afield. Avoid the Mists. If you wish to survive, you would do well to follow these rules."

Upon approaching the gate, Ekius again stops and surveys the area.

"Barovia village. You will never a more wretched land of curs and knavery. We must be cautious."

He turns and rides towards the gates as if he doesn't notice that they were closed.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2018-04-18 at 10:12 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

How I wish you were correct, Ekius. Aliza internally laments, keeping pace with the others as they make their way onwards. Yet still she pauses to stare at the gates once close enough to touch them had they been closed. "This might be like crossing into Baator." she remarks. "From this point on, I get the feeling there won't be any turning back. If you have any reason to value your life, now is last chance to reconsider this journey." With that, she unflinchingly strides through the gates, her gaze focused on the path ahead.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Ekuis smirks at Aliza's comment.

"There is always a way out, young Aliza. You just might not like it very much."

With a dark chuckle, he passes beyond the gate and continues down the road.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Alice looks confused. "You don't value your life?" She asks, looking at Aliza. "I value my life, that's why I'm here. If I didn't, I would probably just stay home at the farm making babies or whatever. Heh, making more life of no value! I didn't train and fight to get here because I don't value my life. That's insane." Alice finishes with a sigh. "That was wrong of me, I'm sorry... Your life has value, mother." She adds quietly, bowing in apology.

18. - Top - End - #48

Cedric rides on, uncharacteristically quiet, seemingly lost in his own thoughts.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

In the morning: Trux can fly, but no faster than he can walk, and he doesn't want to be the one to hold the party up, so he agrees to rent a pony! And thus he joins the party as they set out!

He keeps an eye out for useful uncursing herbs, but he's not actually any good at herbery, it's more the words and the gestures that he's good at, so he's unlikely to find many, especially as he makes sure to follow Ekius's recommendation to stick to the roads and not wander afield.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Survival to identify and harvest any potentially useful herbs we might happen to pass (1d20-1)[14]

He's a bit leery of the creepy gates, but he feels secure in his patron's blessing, and thus passes under them with the party.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Kaylee keeps her eyes on the forest around the group, trusting her horse to follow the others without much guidance from her. The old bay mare had shied away from her, at first, but Kaylee had coxed the horse to her with a bit of apple saved from breakfast. The horse still didn't seem quite comfortable with her, but the journey had gone smoothly so far.

As the group approaches and passes the ancient gates, Kaylee wonders briefly as to their purpose. "It seems odd," she says quietly, "to build such a gate in the middle of the forest, simply to denote where one land ends and another begins."

LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

DM

Trux does in fact find a few plants of Vervain along his route! Together they provide about a half pound of leaves.

In any case it seems the party are suitably genre savvy, because the moment they're through the gates they close with a loud "bang!" that echoes off the forest pressing in on either side of the road. The forest suddenly seems much denser than before, and wispy mist tendrils coil and writhe among the tree roots, appearing repelled by the roadway. The gate posts are indeed freestanding, but going around them would mean venturing into the trees. In the distance more wolves howl, except it's a deeper, basser note that doesn't sound quite right for a wolf. The horses do this a not like. They do this a not like at all, and they start prancing and protesting against the reins until they're brought back under control.

There's only one way to go, and the road continues west before bending south. Though it must still be mid afternoon there's no sign of the sun overhead as the mist and low clouds give the forest road only the light of dusk. Suddenly you notice that apart from the sounds of hooves on the road there's no sound at all - even the wolves or wolf things are quiet for now and would probably have been an improvement. The horses are working themselves into even more of a state - panting, teeth drawn back, eyes darting, flanks lathered despite the easy pace.

Then the road turns west again and the forest recedes into the mist leaving only a few metres of long grass visible to either side of the road.

Tall shapes loom from the dense fog, and the muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick wet cobblestones. A dilapidated wooden sign reads "Welcome to the Village of Barovia." As you grow closer, the shapes resolve into tenements whose windows are boarded, broken, and lightless. Nothing moves nearby though the fog limits visibility. Faint sounds, as of something groaning, echo hollowly from somewhere deeper in the settlement. There doesn't seem to be anyone around. Nor are there any lights lit but that might just be because sunset probably isn't for another three hours or so. It's hard to tell in this mist.

Spoiler
    Show

If the party attempts to go west into town they find that the horses have had it. They utterly refuse to budge a yard further into town and become downright mutinous when urged to do so. Fortunately the first building on the right appears to be a stable with spaces. No stablekeeper around though. It's possible that's strange. Even so the horses and ponies nearly bolt into the perceived friendly cover. A quick search determines they're probably safe here for the moment.

Looks like you'll be heading forward on foot.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2018-04-21 at 12:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Aliza watches the responses of the group's mounts with concern as she walks alongside them. And as the gang settles them into the stables, she raises her free hand into the air, eyes closed. "Please, find peace." she breathes, as a faint pulse of crimson light flows from her palm into not only herself, but every adventurer present, as well as each of their animals. As the others make sure to secure their respective steeds, Aliza keeps watch. "Why is this location so quiet." she asks, her voice a little more soft than normal, betraying her feeling of foreboding, as she looks around with one arm pointing outward.

Show
    It'll probably get replaced in a matter of minutes, knowing our luck, but a Bless effect on all of us lasting 6 minutes seemed semi appropriate. Might -not- help the horses stop freaking out at the aspect of impending doom, but it's the thought that counts.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2018-04-19 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Slight word change. She technically doesn't -know- that it's deserted just yet. And it might not be!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Kaylee's mood grows more and more grim as the group proceeds into the mists. She, more than possibly anyone in the group, knows how dark magic feels. She keeps a hand on her glaive, and her eyes sweep over the empty town with a growing suspicion.

When she recognizes Aliza casting Bless, Kaylee realizes that the situation has gotten serious enough for her to need to tell the group something dangerous. "Many of you seem to be divine spellcasters," she begins, catching the eyes of Aliza, Ekius, Cedric, Alice, and Sylva. "If I get injured, don't try to heal me with positive energy. It... it harms me."

She casts her eyes down, somewhere between ashamed and afraid. "I'm healed by negative energy. I'm not undead, I'm not evil, it's... it's just the way I am. I wanted to tell you before things got serious, because I'm getting a very bad feeling about this town."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft, though she really should recognize it: (1d20+10)[11]

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #54

Securing his horse, Cedric readies his glaive and joins the party outside the stables. "Combat formation, four rows, weapons at the ready. Stay calm, watch each others flanks, and don't get baited away from the group. This might be nothing but a really creepy welcoming party though, so don't get skittish. We don't want to accidentally stab the very people we are supposed to be helping." He glances around, seeming to listen intensely, as he takes up position in the rearguard.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Activating the bolstering voice stance (Talky-man bonuses: everyone gets +2 to will saves, +4 against fear). Also using detect evil.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure it will be fine... I don't think I'm using positive energy to heal." Alice responds to Kaylee as she watches her horse retreat to safety. "Will the lesser vigor spell work on you?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Alice's calm reaction catches Kaylee off guard, but after a moment's consideration, she nods. "Lesser Vigor should be fine, yes. I'm also able to heal myself; I've never found a limit to that ability. Just don't hit me with Cure spells or Close Wounds."

Spoiler
    Show
    She automatically recognizes the spell with Spellcraft.

LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Trux does a little dance and pointing thing in the saddle when he spots the vervain plants, jabbering, "Hold up, doing that a collect!" Once he's harvested the plant, he allows the party to continue on.

Into the town! Except... "The ponies are doing us a mutiny. Much fear, very uh-oh."

In the pony-speech, he soothingly asks the ponies and horses, <What's doing you a spook, friends?>

Show
    Call of the Beast invocation (Complete Mage): 24 hour speak with animals and at-will wild empathy as druid. If Wild Empathy is necessary to calm them down or persuade them to answer, here's the roll: (1d20+10)[13]

Then he helps get the ponies and horses settled in the stable, and Aliza does them all a bless, and Trux, after a bit of discussion with everyone on the best marching order plan, settles into being surrounded and protected by the others.

He blinks owlishly when Kaylee reveals that she's the opposite of an alive person! Not undead, and not evil, but healed by negative energy instead of positive, which means... well, we've already established that Trux isn't too opposed to undead stuff anyway, so he bobs his head in acknowledgement of Kaylee's request.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    In the pony-speech, he soothingly asks the ponies and horses, <What's doing you a spook, friends?>
    DM

"Bad air!" whinnys one.
    "Smell death!" puts in one of the ponies.
    "Place of predators!" complains one of the stallions.

"Frankly I've just found this entire journey extremely unsettling," says Kaylee's bay mare.

The other animals look at her sideways as though they have no idea what she's on about.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Trux nods, petting the ponies and horses (especially Kaylee's bay mare), and helpfully conveys the horses' concerns to the rest of the party in Common, "Much bad air, very death smell, many predators. Journey doing the ponies a real big unsettle. We should do this place a caution." Still, cautious or no, he is ready to proceed into the village.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2018-04-20 at 04:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Walking a little ways back into the group, Aliza takes a moment to lightly shake Kaylee's shoulder. "We gingers do need to stick together." she smiles. "No one should need to restore any of us. Stick together, and we should be fine." Aliza remarks with as much clarity and confidence as she could inject into her voice while not speaking above a normal volume. She moves towards the next nearest house while remaining in full view and relatively short distance of her allies, her right arm still extended as if to grope through the air.

Despite her tone, Aliza now had a brief curiosity to distract her, in addition to her worries about this village. She knew Kaylee wasn't lying about her condition; were Kaylee a Rot, Aliza would have discerned her presence well before either had crossed paths; her training against the undead saw to that. And were Kaylee's soul of a twisted nature, Aliza's touch would have burned her as much as any spell of Positive Energy would have. The nature of the sorceress' soul would be a mystery to consider later, if at all. The state of this village and its community, on the other hand, was far more pressing of a concern, particularly with the... insightful news Trux has obtained, all but confirming Aliza's suspicions. "Ekius, know you anything of this matter?" Aliza asks, still slowly approaching the next nearest building.

Show
    What would the knowledge rolls be to try to see what Aliza might know of someone who was alive, yet injured by the Energy of Creation?

It's -SO- hard to not just walk into one and start the Silent Hill Jumpscare already!