New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1117 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Not sure how large a class that is in French, but certainly there are exceptions in English, e.g. "attorney general," "poet laureate."

Although language does shift: I've seen both "attorneys general" and "attorney generals". I'd guess that "general" used to be adjectival in, say, "brigadier general".
    "Attorneys general" is certainly the technically correct usage; I imagine the "attorney generals" usage comes either from sloppiness or from familiarity with the official title of Attorney General and the corresponding decision to treat the entire term as a noun.

That said, The Onion is way ahead of us as far as being overly pedantic regarding this stuff.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    "Attorneys general" is certainly the technically correct usage; I imagine the "attorney generals" usage comes either from sloppiness or from familiarity with the official title of Attorney General and the corresponding decision to treat the entire term as a noun.

That said, The Onion is way ahead of us as far as being overly pedantic regarding this stuff.
    It's the really small articles like that what makes me really love the Onion.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post

I think it might just be that people are more familiar with term, while also are less familiar with how internal pluralization works. For example, I haven't seen a ton of people botch "solicitors general" yet, since it's a less frequently used term.

Also, I'm totally going to refer to them as Whoppers Junior from now on.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Also, I'm totally going to refer to them as Whoppers Junior from now on.
    While we did warn the honorable tolerable Whoppers about the potential complications of bestowing his own name upon his son, this was not one that we foresaw....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #485
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    I'd guess that "general" used to be adjectival in, say, "brigadier general".
    Yup - it evolved from "captain general" - an army was made up of units commanded by captains, and one captain was given command of the whole army, and the suffix "general". The plural back then, would be captains general.

However, over time, it shifted from being a suffix to being the primary term. For example, the term would be "major generals" not "majors general" in most modern writing.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-04-26 at 08:16 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #486
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Yup - it evolved from "captain general" - an army was made up of units commanded by captains, and one captain was given command of the whole army, and the suffix "general". The plural back then, would be captains general.

However, over time, it shifted from being a suffix to being the primary term. For example, the term would be "major generals" not "majors general" in most modern writing.
    If you have two Stanley's, are they collectively the Models of Modern Major Generals, or the Models of Modern Majors General, or the Model of the Modern Major Generals?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #487
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    EXCELLENT.

And of course this quote must be included.
    Nicoll.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll#1990s

I'm too busy at the moment to quote everyone else (or should be busy!), but....

Whoppers junior is totally something I'd say. :-)

To give a serious answer to a silly question, of course English has a grammar! Or rather, it has hundreds or thousands (or millions to billions(?) if you go the "one per idiolect" route).

There's an enormous book called, I think "The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language" which is a descriptionist, not prescriptionist, grammar[1]. The reason I remembered "poets laureate" in particular is because of a Language Log post mentioning an erratum in which they decided that in fact "laureate" was (or had become) a noun in the phrase "Nobel Laureate."

Thanks for "captains general." I think I knew about that at one point.

[1] Which I crave, but not to the tune of $100 or $200 or whatever it is, or even, sadly, the paperwork and search that would be required for an interlibrary loan.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

What spell is Ponchella casting in the last frame?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #489

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Unknown, of course, but when she cast Greater Dispel Magic the aura was black, not green. Assuming that means anything at all, I think it means a different type of magic; if "utility" is black, icky green may be "attack".

If I have to guess what the best move for Ponchella would be at this juncture, I'd think trying to keep the horde of vampire spawn in the battle might be good, or anticipate that the Order will send more people into the room and have an AoE attack spell of her own ready to go.

I'm going to guess something along the lines of Mass Inflict Light Wounds. Boost the spawn, nick the members of the Order. Burns a level 5 slot for D8 + level hit points per target. Guessing her level is about 10, cures about half the damage done by the Chaos Hammer, puts some hurt on V, Blackwing, and anyone else who comes in before she acts.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

10. - Top - End - #490

If you have two Stanley's, are they collectively the Models of Modern Major Generals, or the Models of Modern Majors General, or the Model of the Modern Major Generals?
    If you have two of them, they are Models of the Modern Major General.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #491

BlackDragon

Unknown, of course, but when she cast Greater Dispel Magic the aura was black, not green. Assuming that means anything at all, I think it means a different type of magic; if "utility" is black, icky green may be "attack".
    I always thought that the colour of the spell matched the aura of the one who cast it? Is there any other example in the comic of someone casting spells with a different aura from one panel to another? If not, I'd say that might just be an art mistake.

12. - Top - End - #492

There is: Tsukiko, who used one color for her arcane magic and a different color for her divine magic. Also, each of them matched one of her eyes.

So yeah. The color-coding is pretty unambiguously by caster, not by spell.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Banned

I'll take "Mr. Burlew didn't put much effort into the color design of what was at the time a bit character" for 500, Alex.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    So yeah. The color-coding is pretty unambiguously by caster, not by spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I'll take "Mr. Burlew didn't put much effort into the color design of what was at the time a bit character" for 500, Alex.
    It's "mostly a matter of choice or personality". I could almost buy that she's had a personality change between being vampirically transmogrified and discovering her host was "repressing some major evil tendencies", resulting in a change of spell color...but I think it's more likely that zimmerwald's getting ahead in Jeopardy!.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

I think green is her color and the Greater Dispel Magic was the goof rather than this one. Black magic has pretty consistently been used for negative energy spells.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #496

It could also be that the Giant decided the previous color didn't show up well enough.

17. - Top - End - #497

SamuraiGuy

I went back and reviewed the big Roy - DurkonT battle, and DurkonT's spells were always red, while his "slams" were black. I'm going to agree that it's most likely that green versus black means nothing.

As to what spell she's about to cast, though, I'm still thinking an AoE that will bolster the spawn horde while nicking the Order (Vaarsuvius if no one else) is likely.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think green is her color and the Greater Dispel Magic was the goof rather than this one. Black magic has pretty consistently been used for negative energy spells.
    I think Xykon's magic colour is pretty definitively black (whether or not he's casting negative energy spells).

19. - Top - End - #499

Yeah, but he's dead. Sorta-dead. Not really living. Rrr, you know what I mean.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    I think Xykon's magic colour is pretty definitively black (whether or not he's casting negative energy spells).
    Looks like you are right. Well,I got nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yeah, but he's dead. Sorta-dead. Not really living. Rrr, you know what I mean.
    So is the Creature Preacher and his spells are red.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Sound lance, it would seem.
    Forum Wisdom