New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1117 - The Discussion Thread

I am loving the profusion of colors in these strips -- something about it feels really cathartic, after all the black and grey of creeping toward this encounter.
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I have to put on an Elan hat for a moment and congratulate the Giant for how smoothly he integrated the "no, the OOTS is not casually herding animals to their death, the giraffes are fine" exposition into the dialogue.
    "The Order of the Stick would like to inform that no summoned creatures were harmed during the drawing of this strip. Vampires were hurt, but they might as well go to Hel!"
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

It's also entirely possible that they wanted to maintain flexibility to respond to Greg's response to the giraffes.

i.e., if it turned out Greg had anticipated them sending in summons and hadn't ordered the vampires to focus-fire Vaarsuvius to the point of ignoring all the others, and there was now (let's say) an enraged fiendish dire elephant bearing down on Elan, Vaarsuvius could have cast Stoneskin on Elan.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    "The Order of the Stick would like to inform that no summoned creatures were harmed during the drawing of this strip. Vampires were hurt, but they might as well go to Hel!"
    "And Vaarsuvius was hurt, but they, as well, can go to--"
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-04-17 at 05:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Seems Greg keeps severely underestimating the Order. Also seems like none or few of the vampires are Chaotic (and at least one is Lawful).
    The vampires are likely ALL lawful. They were dwarves who worshiped Thor in life. If I remember, Thor is LG in the strip. When you get turned into a vampire, your alignment on the Good / Evil axis becomes Evil, but your alignment on the Chaos / Law axis typically doesn't change.

5. - Top - End - #125

Aw, look, you can see the gears in the vampire's head turning as he tries to figure out how this is happening. Silly villain, don't you know what happens to plans when the Order of the Stick is around?

Speaking of plans, I think Hilgya is the second biggest threat to the Order's plans (after the vampires). She's almost certainly not going to just let Durkon be resurrected and go on his merry world-saving way; not when she came all this way to murder him. The Order should make as much use of Hilgya's remaining spells as possible. If she runs out of them, she'll be much less of a threat to Durkon and the Order after the vampire is defeated.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fantastic! Now I'm really curious to see what will be the third wave?
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Prediction: DurkonT or one of his spellcasting minions is going to try Dispel Magic on Vaarsuvius - buffed against mind control, level drain, Bear's Endurance, Stoneskin - just too many buffs. Whereupon we learn that V has Bloodfeast the Extreminator in a pocket of their robe. And then Bloodfeast will proceed to further T-Rex DurkonT's plans. If memory serves, Bloodfeast would also soak up one casting of Dispel Magic and protect V a little longer.
    Considering that the vampire (Ponchula? Is that what we're calling her?) is casting something in the last panel, I think that Dispel Magic is a good bet.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nocoolnamejim View Post
    Wonder if he still has that Girdle of Gender Change anywhere in his saddlebags.
    Now I spit my coffee!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Ponchola <3
    Seems like Stickverse is at same time defying and validating Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus propositions 1. and 1.1. Also, it weirdly confirms proposition 6.44...

10. - Top - End - #130

Elan was right: Roy and the Order acting competently is the only thing Durkula would never see it coming.

Elan was right...
    Elan was right...
    Elan was r....

The world is about to end, isn´t?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Golden-Esque View Post
    The vampires are likely ALL lawful. They were dwarves who worshiped Thor in life. If I remember, Thor is LG in the strip. When you get turned into a vampire, your alignment on the Good / Evil axis becomes Evil, but your alignment on the Chaos / Law axis typically doesn't change.
    Three dwarves worshipped stone, not Thor. And if you can find anything in OotS saying Thor is LG to begin with, please do let me know. And even then, Clerics don't have to share their deity's exact alignment.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    Considering that the vampire (Ponchula? Is that what we're calling her?) is casting something in the last panel, I think that Dispel Magic is a good bet.
    Yeah, she's got some sort of green aura going, which I was taking as "some sort of malevolent spell that does harm", but it could be (Greater)Dispel Magic. She cast Greater against the recalcitrant door, so it's a spell she prepared today. The aura was black that time, though, so maybe that indicates a different spell, or it just indicates artistic choice.

And I still think Durkon had some plan in mind when he directed Team Bloodsucker to this hall, and we're about to discover what it is.

EDIT: Regardless of deity choice, I think a rigidly honor-bound society is likely to be highly Lawful and produce mostly Lawful people.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2018-04-17 at 05:49 PM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1117 - The Discussion Thread

And thus the hammer fell on the vampire era in the dwarven realm.

This page is comedy gold. XD

The heroes plan goes well so far, let's see how the dwarven vampires response to their thwarted trap.
    Last edited by Kuroten; 2018-04-17 at 05:51 PM.
    “A world where you can surrender yourself to sleep on a giant ball of fur is a world where you wouldn’t be able to get any work done. A perfect world.
    Spoiler: Pokemon Info
    Show

FC: 2809 8617 8608
    IGN: Raijin [X] & Akemi [Y] & Gardenia [ΩR]
    Safari: Water|Safari 'Mons: Panpour, Floatzel, Frogadier
    Trades - Go here for viewing a list of the pokemon I have available for trade.

Avatar featuring my poké-trainer, Raijin, drawn by Sajiri. ^_^

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, gorgeous strip! I'm sad to see the giraffes go. Once again, Elan speaks my heart's truth.
    And V and Blackwing's ironic attempt at Bluff. And the Chaos Hammer. Just fabulous. I love everything about it: the visual rendition, the multi-colored WHAM!, the shock wave, the V ways grits their teeth.

It's really nice to see what a long way the art (and story, of course) have come from the first strips in Dorukan's Dungeon. Kudos to you, Giant! Thanks for all those good times with the OotS.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

15. - Top - End - #135

This comic shows the problem with D&D 3.5. The clever tactics at high levels mostly come from spells.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

#ChaosGiraffesAreTheRealHeroes

17. - Top - End - #137

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It's also entirely possible that they wanted to maintain flexibility to respond to Greg's response to the giraffes.

i.e., if it turned out Greg had anticipated them sending in summons and hadn't ordered the vampires to focus-fire Vaarsuvius to the point of ignoring all the others, and there was now (let's say) an enraged fiendish dire elephant bearing down on Elan, Vaarsuvius could have cast Stoneskin on Elan.
    Except the vampires were not given an opportunity to respond - an action - between the summoned creatures going in and V's turn.

So they didn't have an opportunity to summon an enraged fiendish dire elephant (which takes 1 round to summon, but maybe they pre-summoned it) to attack Elan who isn't in the room after everyone already knew the plan was to attack V first anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "And Vaarsuvius was hurt, but they, as well, can go to--"
    Yes, yes, everyone knows you hate V with a passion.
    Last edited by Gusion; 2018-04-17 at 06:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    Yes, yes, everyone knows you hate V with a passion.
    "Passion" is a strong word. That Vaarsuvius ought to be poked with hot irons for some time approaching eternity is just a fact of life that we can but acknowledge.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Golden-Esque View Post
    When you get turned into a vampire, your alignment on the Good / Evil axis becomes Evil, but your alignment on the Chaos / Law axis typically doesn't change.
    Do you have a source for this?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Do you have a source for this?
    The vampire template says that vampires are "always evil,"* and says nothing about the ethical alignment.

* Which means that vampires are all created evil, not that any given vampire you meet will be evil

21. - Top - End - #141

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    So do you do if this joke goes over your head?
    Wear platform shoes?

Still, on the strip itself, have just got to say it is looking awesome for far Frankly, not entirely surprised that the team is rolling over the vamps... but hey, it's not like Vampulon does not have some arrogance and blinders on when it comes to them. Still, shall be looking to see which way the tide turns, if the vamps can pull their act together... or if it shall continue quickly to the Jerry Springer Show, OOTS style.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

22. - Top - End - #142

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    "Passion" is a strong word. That Vaarsuvius ought to be poked with hot irons for some time approaching eternity is just a fact of life that we can but acknowledge.
    All these years I didn't realize kish and zimmerwald were the same person.

23. - Top - End - #143

PirateCaptain

Except the vampires were not given an opportunity to respond - an action - between the summoned creatures going in and V's turn.

So they didn't have an opportunity to summon an enraged fiendish dire elephant (which takes 1 round to summon, but maybe they pre-summoned it) to attack Elan who isn't in the room after everyone already knew the plan was to attack V first anyway.
    Maybe so, but the general idea is pretty good. If something went wrong with the giraffe plan, like not triggering all traps or something, V had an action. They probably had to prepare for this possibility, something like "If all goes well, cast stoneskin and go in, else do X"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Maybe so, but the general idea is pretty good. If something went wrong with the giraffe plan, like not triggering all traps or something, V had an action. They probably had to prepare for this possibility, something like "If all goes well, cast stoneskin and go in, else do X"
    Smarter vampires would have had a low-level Symbol or other trap (Glyph of Warding?) of some sort just inside the door to take out summoned creatures and protect the important symbols. But DurkonT thought he knew exactly what the Order was capable of doing, as shown in the 3rd and final panels, and didn't think to protect his traps from cannon fodder. If they had a trap to protect the other traps, sending V in there alone would have been suicide.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All these years I didn't realize kish and zimmerwald were the same person.
    It is true that we have yet to see Kish and zimmerwald in the same place at the same time.

(It is also, however, true, that neither of them are wrong that Vaarsuvius has pretty decent odds of going to Hell at some point in this story)

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #146

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Three dwarves worshipped stone, not Thor. And if you can find anything in OotS saying Thor is LG to begin with, please do let me know. And even then, Clerics don't have to share their deity's exact alignment.
    Well, the fact that he was responsible for telling the dwarves about the wager with Hel, and then, in her words, engineering their lawful and honor-based society, is at least strong evidence towards his being lawful himself.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Curious: how is V warded from energy drain? I mean, maybe Hilgya just cast death ward off-panel, but is there any other reason we would know of?

28. - Top - End - #148

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Curious: how is V warded from energy drain? I mean, maybe Hilgya just cast death ward off-panel, but is there any other reason we would know of?
    They discussed using it here.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, idiocy generally makes for better comedy. Durkon (speaking as an audience member who hadn't especially noticed nor cared for the OotS planning) did a, "Wuh?!" when the comedy was against him.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    EDIT: (Greater) Dispel Magic targets a creature, and Bloodfeast wouldn't be a target simply by being in V's pocket - unless Rule of Funny triumphs.
    They could maybe try casting it as an area effect to remove the slow on the vampires.