New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1117 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It is true that we have yet to see Kish and zimmerwald in the same place at the same time.

(It is also, however, true, that neither of them are wrong that Vaarsuvius has pretty decent odds of going to Hell at some point in this story)
    But V has already gone to hell. And he is bound by his contract to go there two more times.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Oh my god, I love the effects on Chaos Hammer. And the punchline had me in stitches! With how much Durkon sticks to supporting roles in combat, it's easy to forget how terrifyingly powerful a cleric of their level can be, and this is a great reminder.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Sorry if this was covered, but why didnt varsuvius use one of her own aoe attacks? I mean, she almost has to have at least one available. Now the vamp spawn are all knocked back. Drop a /insert fire spell that hits everything within 30 feet, then have their secret high level cleric hammer them. Double the whump, double the owie.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Sorry if this was covered, but why didnt varsuvius use one of her own aoe attacks? I mean, she almost has to have at least one available. Now the vamp spawn are all knocked back. Drop a /insert fire spell that hits everything within 30 feet, then have their secret high level cleric hammer them. Double the whump, double the owie.
    One standard action to a round, and this round's was Stoneskin.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    One standard action to a round, and this round's was Stoneskin.
    Oh dang, thats right, I wasnt paying close attention. Seems sorta silly to cast that then instead of say, a few minutes ago. Ah well, still an effective start to the battle. traps are blown, spawn are disoriented, somewhat damaged, and in a few cases debilitated.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sienar View Post
    It took me a couple of readings to understand Haley's comment about getting their heads under. So focused on the D&D aspects of this strip that it took me a little while to think about other meanings of the word Limbo.

Giant, your one off jokes make my day!

Thanks for the hint--I didn't get it until I read your comment

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Aw, look, you can see the gears in the vampire's head turning as he tries to figure out how this is happening. Silly villain, don't you know what happens to plans when the Order of the Stick is around?

Speaking of plans, I think Hilgya is the second biggest threat to the Order's plans (after the vampires). She's almost certainly not going to just let Durkon be resurrected and go on his merry world-saving way; not when she came all this way to murder him. The Order should make as much use of Hilgya's remaining spells as possible. If she runs out of them, she'll be much less of a threat to Durkon and the Order after the vampire is defeated.
    Hey, you're getting ahead to strips coming out in 2021! I'm waiting to see what happens in the next few ones.

My prediction:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Order has an early win against the vampires. It looks like Greg will be taken down. Then there's an amazing reversal, possibly involving Xykon or some other DEMs like Hilgya appearing, or Elan doing something stupid. I don't think Belkar bites it just yet, but that could be a curveball.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's all going so well! I'm dreading the inevitable rug pull
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, sending your best offensive weapon first into a room when that room includes several dispel magic casters (who can strip away all of that weapon's defenses) is a bit risky.

I'm enjoying this part of the plot. Since I keep hoping Belkar will just qualify for chaotic neutral before dying, I'm hoping we will see the chaos giraffes during his final cutscene in Limbo.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Well, the fact that he was responsible for telling the dwarves about the wager with Hel, and then, in her words, engineering their lawful and honor-based society, is at least strong evidence towards his being lawful himself.
    Strong evidence towards Good, IMO, not Lawful.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Durkula obviously plans according to the party I'm in
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    So do you win if this joke goes over your head?
    Shoutout to this for making me laugh.

Also, not to start another alignment debate, but do we know for sure that Blackwing is Neutral? Or are we just assuming that because V is? Because honestly, Blackwing being Chaotic does not seem in the slightest bit unbelievable to me if he isn't bound to V's alignment somehow.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

13. - Top - End - #163

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Strong evidence towards Good, IMO, not Lawful.
    I don't see why, when promoting law, more than good, seems to be the point. The dwarven ideal is to die with honor, not to die having done good works.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheKing View Post
    It's all going so well! I'm dreading the inevitable rug pull
    As am I, although we don't know the full details of the Order's plan, so according to Law of Narrative I'm hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Aw, look, you can see the gears in the vampire's head turning as he tries to figure out how this is happening. Silly villain, don't you know what happens to plans when the Order of the Stick is around?

Speaking of plans, I think Hilgya is the second biggest threat to the Order's plans (after the vampires). She's almost certainly not going to just let Durkon be resurrected and go on his merry world-saving way; not when she came all this way to murder him. The Order should make as much use of Hilgya's remaining spells as possible. If she runs out of them, she'll be much less of a threat to Durkon and the Order after the vampire is defeated.
    I long ago gave up trying to predict the Giant (Reason #4912.5 for doing so: Chaos Giraffes) but it does occur to me that if Hilgya tries to outright destroy Durkon (with or without asterisk) or keep him from being rezzed, Belkar might be the only member of the party with the guts, evilness, and self-sacrificial motivation to try to take her out, since she's been so dang helpful everyone else would hesitate. And there would be a certain obvious beauty in Belkar and Durkon both sacrificing themselves for each other, separated by some weeks.

If that plays out, it would basically guarantee that Durkon (the real one) would be resurrected, since I don't see Rich introducing Kudzu just to orphan him. That would, in turn, place him in a great character-forming moment (i.e., a painful one) by bringing him back to life in his homeland with a son on one hand, and the desire to support his friends by going to go save the world on the other. Naturally he'd choose the latter, 'cause: pain.

But now I'm so far out on a limb, I'm already falling, so I'd better quit while I'm ahead.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't see why, when promoting law, more than good, seems to be the point. The dwarven ideal is to die with honor, not to die having done good works.
    Thor saves the dwarves from going to Hel (Good), and cleans up on the bet in the process. If Haley was in Thor's place, good money says she'd also tell the dwarves first thing and construct a system by which the could get out of it. Including gaming the rules so much that fighting trees and dying of cirrhosis count as honorable.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-04-17 at 09:54 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

That was cool and all, but I really would've loved to see a Greater Fireburst from V. What better time than then?

Best part was the Limbo joke.

Also, I have a strong dislike (of the "go away" kind, not the "great compelling villain" kind) towards Durkula, so if it turns out he's the unwitting crash test dummy to demonstrate the OotS finally has their **** together and is ready for the final battle w/ Xykon, I'll be quite pleased that he ended up just being a mook that got curb stomped.
    Definitely hope Belkar gets a chance to shine here after being defeated/humiliated each prior encounter with Durkula.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

This fight is going pretty easy so far... I think the real fight will be at the point when Roy says, "Ok, now we can resurrect Durkon."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Thor is arguably just trying to keeps souls out of Hel's grasp under conditions not of his own choosing. And we don't know that Thor was responsible for how the dwarves built their society to solve the problem.

But if I'm being honest, I think those are nitpicky arguments and the weight of evidence is still strongly for Thor being LG.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    This fight is going pretty easy so far... I think the real fight will be at the point when Roy says, "Ok, now we can resurrect Durkon."
    Yeah.

About the strip:
    1. Yay, a D&D strip.

2. Hilgya and her chaos giraffes demonstrate how you can counter a spell1 without using counterspell.

3. Limbo joke was good.

1(the glyph/symbols that went off)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-04-17 at 10:12 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    "Your lives have been tragically cut short before you could be merchandised"!

Aw, let's not sell the readership short on what they'll buy!
    These could end up being the most popular Order Of The Stick plushies.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

They discussed using it here.
    Ah! thank you.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Seems Greg keeps severely underestimating the Order. Also seems like none or few of the vampires are Chaotic (and at least one is Lawful).
    They are vampires made from clerics - I don't know how much that counts in OOTS universe.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Thor saves the dwarves from going to Hel (Good), and cleans up on the bet in the process. If Haley was in Thor's place, good money says she'd also tell the dwarves first thing and construct a system by which the could get out of it. Including gaming the rules so much that fighting trees and dying of cirrhosis count as honorable.
    Who's for a thread debating whether Thor is Chaotic Evil? Anyone? Anyone?
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Prediction: DurkonT or one of his spellcasting minions is going to try Dispel Magic on Vaarsuvius - buffed against mind control, level drain, Bear's Endurance, Stoneskin - just too many buffs. Whereupon we learn that V has Bloodfeast the Extreminator in a pocket of their robe. And then Bloodfeast will proceed to further T-Rex DurkonT's plans. If memory serves, Bloodfeast would also soak up one casting of Dispel Magic and protect V a little longer.

EDIT: (Greater) Dispel Magic targets a creature, and Bloodfeast wouldn't be a target simply by being in V's pocket - unless Rule of Funny triumphs.
    If we assume Miron was at least CL 21 when he Baleful Polymorphed Bloodfeast (which seems likely), Dispel Magic wouldn't work at all, and whoever casts Greater Dispel Magic needs to be at least CL 11 to even have a chance to succeed with a nat 20 on the dispel check. Even Greg would need to roll, what, 16 or higher? 17? I haven't looked at the class and level geekery thread recently.
    Last edited by Baphomet; 2018-04-17 at 10:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Well, sending your best offensive weapon first into a room when that room includes several dispel magic casters (who can strip away all of that weapon's defenses) is a bit risky.

I'm enjoying this part of the plot. Since I keep hoping Belkar will just qualify for chaotic neutral before dying, I'm hoping we will see the chaos giraffes during his final cutscene in Limbo.
    Chaos giraffes? Nonono, you don't repeat jokes.

We'll get prismatic zebras instead.

26. - Top - End - #176

DwarfClericGuy

I wish there was some way to Photoshop a flumph falling on top of the "you don't repeat jokes" line.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    I long ago gave up trying to predict the Giant (Reason #4912.5 for doing so: Chaos Giraffes) but it does occur to me that if Hilgya tries to outright destroy Durkon (with or without asterisk) or keep him from being rezzed, Belkar might be the only member of the party with the guts, evilness, and self-sacrificial motivation to try to take her out, since she's been so dang helpful everyone else would hesitate. And there would be a certain obvious beauty in Belkar and Durkon both sacrificing themselves for each other, separated by some weeks.

If that plays out, it would basically guarantee that Durkon (the real one) would be resurrected, since I don't see Rich introducing Kudzu just to orphan him. That would, in turn, place him in a great character-forming moment (i.e., a painful one) by bringing him back to life in his homeland with a son on one hand, and the desire to support his friends by going to go save the world on the other. Naturally he'd choose the latter, 'cause: pain.

But now I'm so far out on a limb, I'm already falling, so I'd better quit while I'm ahead.
    We know that there are several bits of information that Durkon(original or imitation) doesn't know.
    1. He was sent a letter that he could come home.
    2. He was sent away from the Dwarven lands because of a cryptic prophecy from Odin that the next time he came home he would bring death and destruction.
    3. He has a son whose other parent is Hilgya.
    4. Hilgya got divorced.

I imagine that these 4 things could result in imitation Durkon having significantly less control over Durkon's corpse than he expects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #178

And this is what's known as build up and pay off. After years of the heroes being strung along or having things blow up in their faces, we get the pay off of seeing the villains on the receiving end of just how clever this band of misfits can be!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Other reasons include the fact that before they entered the room the spawn were spread out, you don't fireball the place you are standing (blast radius is most of the room) without protection from fire and V has not had time to pick up or craft anything like that yet.

Would expect them to do so in the future though, if they get the chance, as the lich demonstrated why being immune to your own AoE attacks is generally a good idea.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aww yeah. Let's keep this momentum going and totally ruin Durkula's night!

A shame he lost evil night out privileges, but that's a fair consequence for the many bad calls he's made.