New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1117 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thurulian View Post
    so ive always wondered why durkon cant break free from gregs control is there some sort of will save he could make? when Durkon sees Hilgya and Kudzu what is his reaction going to be maybe give him a circumstantial bonus to break gregs concentration and cause him to falter as roy rushes him? totally just speculating here i might sounds like an Elan right now but im curious.
    By RAW, there is absolutely nothing Durkon can do to become free, except wait for someone else to destroy the vampire.

I doubt that Durkon's contribution to Greg's fall will involve any such shenanigans, either, since the foreshadowing suggests he will instead exploit Greg's inability to connect memories together.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Strangely enough, Chaos Hammer it better than Word of Chaos against Lawful Vampires, because you can Slow a Vampire but undead cannot by Confused or Stunned. And Chaos Hammer is certain damage.

I guess V just soaks it up. But V is likely to make the Save, and even on a failure Slow hardly matters to a spellcaster who has sufficient meatshields ready to assist.

Getting Greg to targeted Dispel V counts as a tactical victory, regardless of the net effect -- there are far worse things that a high level caster might accomplish with an action. The other spellcasters would probably be throwing their actions away, going head to head with V's caster level.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I'm enjoying the fact that chaos is represented by bright, rainbow colors. Also, watching the Order be competent, that's pretty cool.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

I love the dig against Greg.

Hey, if your host was a total idiot, you are not cool enough to hang with me.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Strangely enough, Chaos Hammer it better than Word of Chaos against Lawful Vampires, because you can Slow a Vampire but undead cannot by Confused or Stunned. And Chaos Hammer is certain damage.

I guess V just soaks it up. But V is likely to make the Save, and even on a failure Slow hardly matters to a spellcaster who has sufficient meatshields ready to assist.

Getting Greg to targeted Dispel V counts as a tactical victory, regardless of the net effect -- there are far worse things that a high level caster might accomplish with an action. The other spellcasters would probably be throwing their actions away, going head to head with V's caster level.
    V's Neutral, not Lawful, and thus is not subject to being Slowed.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post

I think that since V is not Lawful they cannot be slowed; the Chaos Hammer does half damage to neutrals, and no possibility of being slowed. Half damage is automatic, and a Will Save for half again of that, so V probably took about 6 points. The spawn, who all seem to be Lawful and to have missed their saves, are slowed and down ~23 (5d8) HP. A base vampire spawn has 4d12 + 3 (29) hit points, so they are nearly dead and slowed, and several members of the Order get to act before they will. Unless one of the vampire clerics helps them somehow, they are pretty much out of the fight.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'm enjoying the fact that chaos is represented by bright, rainbow colors. Also, watching the Order be competent, that's pretty cool.
    Intriguingly, that's actually the description for the spell effect in the SRD. Id say Rich did it pretty darn well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Everyone suggesting tactics should keep something in mind; Any tactical plan that depends on V is vulnerable because of the deal with the IFCC. Except the one they went with, because they know V is invulnerable if the IFCC intervenes, so V could still aggro the attack.

9. - Top - End - #219

AssassinGuy

I'm enjoying the fact that chaos is represented by bright, rainbow colors.
    Hey, does that mean Law is represented by shades of gray?
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post
    Black and White. Obviously.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Please note the word "joke" (about a character apparently charging into disaster, except that it was actually planned), versus academic criticism. If you're not aware, it's been confirmed that the Leeroy Jenkins video was a staged skit.

(And yes, I just dissected the frog. May it rest in pieces.)
    I am fully aware. Not too concerned about the frog when it was dead to start with.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I am fully aware. Not too concerned about the frog when it was dead to start with.
    Perhaps one day I'll be wise enough to understand how to derive my own happiness from pissing on other people's shoes. For today, I'll just have to smh.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

When the situation gets serious, the Order starts taking things seriously. Why is this such a surprise, HPoH?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Perhaps one day I'll be wise enough to understand how to derive my own happiness from pissing on other people's shoes. For today, I'll just have to smh.
    They can't all be winners. I've had more than a few duds myself, I just like to know what doesn't work so I can tweak accordingly. I could have phrased it much better though. I apologize for that.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Everyone suggesting tactics should keep something in mind; Any tactical plan that depends on V is vulnerable because of the deal with the IFCC. Except the one they went with, because they know V is invulnerable if the IFCC intervenes, so V could still aggro the attack.
    There remains the question of whether the IFCC even wants to stop the Order here. Depending on what their plan is, they could be rooting for the OoTS to succeed so the world doesn't get destroyed, in which case they probably wouldn't pull V out here. Of course, the Order has even less idea what the IFCC's plan is than we do, so they really can't count on that.

So basically, this post was entirely pointless and really just agreed with yours. Sorry?
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Depending on what their plan is, they could be rooting for the OoTS to succeed so the world doesn't get destroyed, in which case they probably wouldn't pull V out here.
    As their goals align with OoTS in one particular -- the world is not destroyed -- pulling V out will likely be delayed until later in this book. The question is, how upset would they be if Xykon wins and gets control of the gate? They seemed to be OK with Tarquin getting ahold of the gate, based when they pulled V out the first time.
    Hmm
    Book V: pull V out once.
    Book VI: pull V a second time
    Book VII: pull V out the final time.

Yeah, that's a little meta-thinking, but seems to fit Rich's general "actions have consequences" theme that has run through this comic pretty faithfully from the beginning.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-04-18 at 01:45 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

I'm enjoying the fact that chaos is represented by bright, rainbow colors.
    That's how chaos hammer is described in the SRD, funnily enough.

(Wow, ninja'd, almost word for word!)

I confess a guilty part of me wishes to see Hilgya and Vaarsuvius light up the night sky with rainbow spells.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-04-18 at 02:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    As their goals align with OoTS in one particular -- the world is not destroyed -- pulling V out will likely be delayed until later in this book. The question is, how upset would they be if Xykon wins and gets control of the gate? They seemed to be OK with Tarquin getting ahold of the gate, based when they pulled V out the first time.
    I don't think this is quite right. The fiends stopped V from stopping Roy from destroying the Gate. That seemed to be their immediate goal based on the panels.

Tarquin was never realistically going to have the Gate - Xykon appeared literally just in time to eat the explosion, which means he was on the scene before Tarquin, who was marshaling his army. Xykon was the more immediate threat to the Gate, and I assume the fiends wanted the Gate destroyed so that Xykon couldn't have it.
    Even the wind will know agony.

19. - Top - End - #229

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hmm
    Book V: pull V out once.
    Book VI: pull V a second time
    Book VII: pull V out the final time.

Yeah, that's a little meta-thinking, but seems to fit Rich's general "actions have consequences" theme that has run through this comic pretty faithfully from the beginning.
    One soul is good; two, is better. Pull V, force Order to retreat, get Roy desperate enough to surrender his soul in order to stop Team Vampire.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    One soul is good; two, is better. Pull V, force Order to retreat, get Roy desperate enough to surrender his soul in order to stop Team Vampire.
    We already have one villain massively failing to take the measure of Roy this book. We don't need another.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    They can't all be winners. I've had more than a few duds myself, I just like to know what doesn't work so I can tweak accordingly. I could have phrased it much better though. I apologize for that.
    You'll make a fine PR executive.

22. - Top - End - #232

Dunno, but grey'd certainly my magic aura color, since it's my favorite color.

23. - Top - End - #233

I just noticed the expression on V's face in the third-to-last panel. It's a nice touch; it shows V reacting to damage, just presumably less than the vampires took.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    That's how chaos hammer is described in the SRD, funnily enough.
    In colour symbolism rainbow is always a symbol of chaos while gray is the colour of order.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I imagine that most dwarf clerics of Thor are lawful for the same reason that most dwarves are lawful - in order to be honourable so as to die an honourable death so as to avoid Hel. Loki's clerics (and presumably followers) could be the only loophole here, and Hel didn't seem to have many souls to torment.

This is independent of whether Thor himself is lawful.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

26. - Top - End - #236

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    We already have one villain massively failing to take the measure of Roy this book. We don't need another.
    If someone could make a plausible case to Roy that the world would be destroyed if he did not obtain the aid of the IFCC, I think he'd think seriously about their offer.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If someone could make a plausible case to Roy that the world would be destroyed if he did not obtain the aid of the IFCC, I think he'd think seriously about their offer.
    That strikes me as rather tautological. "If somebody could convince Roy to do it, he would seriously consider doing it." sort of thing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

Has not Vaarsuvius already told Roy that her soul was taken precisely to make sure Roy destroyed Girard's Gate? How can any plausible case be made that the IFCC is at all interested in saving the world, given that information?

29. - Top - End - #239

The Law counterpart to Chaos Hammer, Order's Wrath, is "a three-dimensional grid of energy".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have not read all the pages on this, but I thought Vampires were Chaotic Evil, and thus would not worry about Chaos Hammer.

V and the familiar might have gotten the benefit of an Aid spell, to help counter the Chaos Hammer effect.