New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Lammasu gestalt ideas

One of my players is getting a cohort. The campaign is gestalt and set in Eberron. Any ideas for what would go well on the other side of the gestalt? The cohort will be a lammasu. The party already has a druid/tashalatora monk, an assassin/wizard, a psion/dervish, a changeling rogue/cleric, and the character taking the cohort is a ranger/scout/order of the Bow initiate.

I was thinking something Wis-based like monk or ninja. But, a lawful good ninja?
    Last edited by TallerSpine; 2018-04-18 at 11:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Lammasu gestalt ideas

Quote Originally Posted by TallerSpine View Post
    One of my players is getting a cohort. The campaign is gestalt and set in Eberron. Any ideas for what would go well on the other side of the gestalt? The cohort will be a lammasu. The party already has a druid/tashalatora monk, an assassin/wizard, a psion/dervish, a changeling rogue/cleric, and the character taking the cohort is a ranger/scout/order of the Bow initiate.

I was thinking something Wis-based like monk or ninja. But, a lawful good ninja?
    Is this a cohort as per the Leadership Feat?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I would have it focus on battlefield control. If the character with leadership is an archer who focuses on skirmish damage, then the lammasu could focus on keeping the enemies at the appropriate distance so that the scout can maximize damage against them.

For battlefield control, you are basically looking at a casting class. If you want to avoid MAD, that's druid. If you like psionics, maybe Ardent?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Caedes View Post
    Is this a cohort as per the Leadership Feat?
    Not exactly. It will be a stronger bond than that. Difficult to explain without going into a lot of campaign details.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

1 - What total ECL are you targeting for the lammasu cohort?

2 - What LA are you assigning? Does LA apply to both sides of the gestalt (the default) or only one side?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    1 - What total ECL are you targeting for the lammasu cohort?

2 - What LA are you assigning? Does LA apply to both sides of the gestalt (the default) or only one side?
    1. ECL 14
    2. +5; One side
    Last edited by TallerSpine; 2018-04-18 at 06:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Make it a Tauric Creature (SS, MM2) that's a combination of a Lesser Aasimar (PGtF) and a Lammasu.

That makes it a Large Monstrous Humanoid with Str +12, Dex +2, Con +6, Wis +2, Cha +2, 8 HD, and only a +3 LA. It keeps all the Lammasu traits except the mental stats and vision, and has all the Lesser Aasimar traits except the movement speed and size. Tauric Creature scrubs the Lammasu's +5 LA and replaces it with the templates +3 LA, but it also has a net loss of fourteen points of stats for this combination and adds one useless racial HD, I'd say it's a fair trade.

Per the Zelekhut's feat entry, it should be able to qualify for things as though it had Mounted Combat.

Use Crusader and Prestige Paladin, with Cloistered Cleric levels mixed in where it wouldn't advance spellcasting otherwise. One level of Cleric will give it two additional domains beyond the ones it gets for being a Lammasu.
    Last edited by Biffoniacus_Furiou; 2018-04-18 at 08:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Thanks. We went with InterstellarPro's idea.

Lammasu / monk 1
    Lammasu / ardent 6
    Lammasu LA / cloistered cleric 1
    Lammasu LA / RSoP 4
    RSoP / Ardent 2

That gives 6 domains, but turning only as a 7th level cleric. With Practiced Manifested, the ardent side is almost caught up. Obviously this is a tashalatora build
    Last edited by TallerSpine; 2018-04-19 at 01:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thanks. We went with InterstellarPro's idea.

Lammasu / monk 1
    Lammasu / ardent 6
    Lammasu LA / cloistered cleric 1
    Lammasu LA / RSoP 4
    RSoP / Ardent 2

That gives 6 domains, but turning only as a 7th level cleric. With Practiced Manifested, the ardent side is almost caught up. Obviously this is a tashalatora build
    Where are you getting all of these feats? That is a very feat intensive build...

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. Not as feat intensive as I first thought. For some reason, I thought that RSoP had more than just a one feat requirement.
    Last edited by InterstellarPro; 2018-04-19 at 02:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

A simpler build which only uses Cleric casting:

Left Side - Lammasu RHD 7 / Cloistered Cleric 1 (+3 domains) / Divine Oracle 6
    Right Side - Lammasi LA +5 / Dragonfire Adept 9

Necessary feats: Entangling Exhalation, Skill Focus (Kn:Religion).

The perks from Divine Oracle are mostly static defenses, so the NPC's capabilities are simpler to use than a dual-caster's would be. The perks from Dragonfire Adept are likewise relatively simple, and can be spammed all day.

Alternately:

Left Side - Lammasu RHD 7 / Cloistered Cleric 1 (+3 domains) / Divine Oracle 6
    Right Side - Lammasi LA +5 / Scout 9

Necessary feats: Improved Skirmish, Skill Focus (Kn:Religion)

This is a Pounce build, since the Lammasu has Pounce + Rake, both of which are very nice with extra Skirmish damage. In terms of balance, it's a decent match for an archery PC. Use the Cleric casting for long-duration buffs and post-combat healing.