New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The collapse of Channel Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I think the real problem I have with this is not the Walkers or even Michaud. It's that a bunch of other people who are (as far as we know) entirely innocent of any wrong-doing are effectively going to lose their jobs if Channel Awesome goes away--people like Malcolm Ray and Tamara Chambers, who really like working there and have never had a problem with the company, are just getting caught in the crossfire.
    Both have been defending Michaud and the Walkers from the start. Malcolm has gone as far as muting anyone that criticizes Channel Awesome.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorath View Post
    Both have been defending Michaud and the Walkers from the start. Malcolm has gone as far as muting anyone that criticizes Channel Awesome.
    Here for example, if anyone's curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    That's an understandable reaction... Those are their bosses and possibly their friends. The accusations (many of which have no real evidence other than unsubstantiated claims) might not match Malcolm and Tamara's experience in working and dealing with the accused parties.

Are the people they are defending guilty of the accusations? Probably. But still... Their reaction is comprehensible, if not ideal.

Think about it: If people accused one of your friends of the things listed in the document, would you instantly believe them and turn your back on your friend without even giving him the benefit of doubt? Would you be completely pragmatic and objective in judging them? I can honestly answer "definitely not" to the former and "probably not" to the latter.

BTW, I'm guessing the main reason CA isn't apologizing is that an apology might be used against them in a potential law suit... It's pretty common behavior in cases where one side still has plausible deniability even if they are almost surely guilty.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-04-24 at 07:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

It’s also worth noting that newer CA members have commented that the business side seems to have greatly improved from what was reported before. And considering a fair deal of what was reported, aside from the sexual assault accusations and some claims of mike being sexist, were petty to begin with it makes sense they would want to defend their current meal ticket.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    That's going to cost a few SAG jobs.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    BTW, I'm guessing the main reason CA isn't apologizing is that an apology might be used against them in a potential law suit... It's pretty common behavior in cases where one side still has plausible deniability even if they are almost surely guilty.
    Gotta say, if that was their intent, that weird refutation post they made was not exactly ideal. Some of the stuff in that post is pretty damning, honestly, and I couldn't imagine a lawyer ever okaying it. A lot of their "facts" were, "Yeah, that basically happened, but we're still cool dudes and won't apologize for any of it." In any case, this whole thing is some pretty high tier internet drama. I started reading that doc and was enraptured into reading the entire thing in one long sitting. Super interesting stuff.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can I say just I predicted there was something wrong with this guy some time ago?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...stalgia-critic
    Last edited by The Eye; 2018-05-24 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Excellent Chaotic Evil "roleplaying" The Eye. "The only people responsible for the welfare of or harm dealt to others are people who aren't me."
    "A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive." - Alfred Hitchcock

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So, does CA still exist in some form? Has anything else happened, or have the revelations about Carmical finally burned everyone out on this whole sordid thing?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

What it is with these internet content hosts who always have a horrible track record to their providers?

First the Escalist, then CA

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    What it is with these internet content hosts who always have a horrible track record to their providers?

Same stuff happen with Hollywood from the 1920s to 1950s.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

There's no mystery. This sort of thing happens when the bosses have all the power and the workers have none.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    So, does CA still exist in some form? Has anything else happened, or have the revelations about Carmical finally burned everyone out on this whole sordid thing?
    Far as I can tell literally two people remain on the site, one of whom is doing so purely as a joke that if he outlives the original creator it's his now.

So yeah no Channel Awesome as it once was is dead.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
    Can I just I predicted there was soemthing wrong with this guy some time ago?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...stalgia-critic
    I remember that thread. Ah, the tangent about Starship Troopers, those were the days (I think I'd just finished a read through of the novel).

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Far as I can tell literally two people remain on the site, one of whom is doing so purely as a joke that if he outlives the original creator it's his now.

So yeah no Channel Awesome as it once was is dead.
    Yeah, essentially this. It's currently Doug, Brad Jones, and Guru Larry, plus Doug's additionals. But it's pretty much lost all it's talent, while Doug might have been the heavily promoted star he certainly was never the reason I used the site back in the day, and after blip closed and YouTube became the best replacement I eventually just stopped using the site at all, so nothing has changed for me or many other viewers in practice. The same content is still being put out, but it's just no longer Channel Awesome content.

I suspect there will eventually be some sort of group formed of ex-channel awesome members who still want to do all the crossovers and stuff, but I don't think we'll get another internet reviewer company out of it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #104

BlackDragon

I don't think there's much danger of the predicted collapse now. They were haemorrhaging subscriptions on their Youtube channel for a while--I think they lost around 60k in all--but the subscriptions have now stabilised and are increasing again.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I suspect there will eventually be some sort of group formed of ex-channel awesome members who still want to do all the crossovers and stuff, but I don't think we'll get another internet reviewer company out of it.
    I mean, the crossovers seem to still be going strong if Linkara's 500th episode celebration is any indicator.

Even SFDebris got in on the fun.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I mean, the crossovers seem to still be going strong if Linkara's 500th episode celebration is any indicator.

Did he appeared on Camera?!?!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

Oh sure, I meant more as a way to make organising them easier.

I should probably look into Linkara.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, what happened to the Escapist?
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Wait, what happened to the Escapist?
    Mass exodus of content creators (Extra Credits, Jim Sterling, MovieBob, Critical Miss, Unskippable etc.) The reasons vary and probably aren't very sordid so much as they are a failure of Escapist's business model in a world where Patreon allows said content creators to answer directly to fans rather than to the rigid editorial mandates of the past. As near as I can tell though, Yahtzee is their biggest cash cow at the moment. Speaking personally Wednesdays are almost the only time I ever visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #110

Did he appeared on Camera?!?!
    No. Just voiceover.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    No. Just voiceover.
    Chuck doesn't actually have a face, just an empty dark hole a la Squall from FF8.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    No. Just voiceover.
    Still the funniest cameo

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Mass exodus of content creators (Extra Credits, Jim Sterling, MovieBob, Critical Miss, Unskippable etc.) The reasons vary and probably aren't very sordid so much as they are a failure of Escapist's business model in a world where Patreon allows said content creators to answer directly to fans rather than to the rigid editorial mandates of the past. As near as I can tell though, Yahtzee is their biggest cash cow at the moment. Speaking personally Wednesdays are almost the only time I ever visit.
    Yeah. I mean, they are all on Youtube anyway these days, even Zero Punctuation. No reason to go to the Escapist, really. Haven't been in probably over a year and when I last saw it, it had no content I remotely cared about.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I was very much a fan of the early Nostalgia Critics and other content creators on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com. I am ashamed to admit I even sent in an audition tape because, to 14 year old me, I found there to be a strange romance in that lifestyle.

This here feels like a culmination of my generation's burgeoning adulthood. We're becoming more discerning consumers of media now, I think, and aren't as liable to accept things as they are anymore.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mokèlé-mbèmbé View Post
    I am ashamed to admit I even sent in an audition tape because, to 14 year old me, I found there to be a strange romance in that lifestyle.
    Why would you be ashamed of this? Kids seeing romance in showbiz is a tale as old as time. Certainly as old as Broadway or Hollywood, both of which are chock full of self-indulgent stories about kids abandoning their lives to move to the big city and become a star.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-05-25 at 08:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Why would you be ashamed of this? Kids seeing romance in showbiz is a tale as old as time. Certainly as old as Broadway or Hollywood, both of which are chick full of self-indulgent stories about kids abandoning their lives to move to the bug city and become a star.
    Because I can't, for the life of me, imagine what the romance was.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Well that's also entirely normal. "Wonder" is often paired with "childlike" and "idealism" with "youthful" for a reason - they're things we grow out of as we learn more about the real state of the world and how it will always remain basically the same and basically hostile.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-05-25 at 08:58 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah. I mean, they are all on Youtube anyway these days, even Zero Punctuation. No reason to go to the Escapist, really. Haven't been in probably over a year and when I last saw it, it had no content I remotely cared about.
    ZP is on Youtube but it lags by a week there, so it's worth dropping in on Escapist once per week to catch his latest review.

I was very much a fan of the early Nostalgia Critics and other content creators on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com. I am ashamed to admit I even sent in an audition tape because, to 14 year old me, I found there to be a strange romance in that lifestyle.

This here feels like a culmination of my generation's burgeoning adulthood. We're becoming more discerning consumers of media now, I think, and aren't as liable to accept things as they are anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Well that's also entirely normal. "Wonder" is often paired with "childlike" and "idealism" with "youthful" for a reason - they're things we grow out of as we learn more about the real state of the world and how it will always remain basically the same and basically hostile.
    Yeesh, aren't you two sunny

Look, there are lots of reasons to avoid the content creator/streamer lifestyle - the headache of being self-employed in the USA (if that's where you are) is definitely one of them - but the collapse of one media outlet shouldn't be. That has just as much to do with a changing business model and industry as it does any amount of mismanagement, misogyny, or whatever else was going wrong topside.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #119

"Ill be earning monet playing Video Games!"
    "ill be earning money talking in front of a camera!"
    "I'll be earning money selling weed!"

Kids that age have a growing concern about their place in the world, where the #1 concern society gives them is "how will you earn money?" Doing that while doing what you love seems a natural dream to hold for everyone.

****. I wished i knew how to earn money by playing board games.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yeesh, aren't you two sunny

Look, there are lots of reasons to avoid the content creator/streamer lifestyle - the headache of being self-employed in the USA (if that's where you are) is definitely one of them - but the collapse of one media outlet shouldn't be.
    It's not Channel Awesome's recent downfall that's made me so skittish about my past, I'm actually just no longer a fan of that content. I've felt this way about my auditions for a few years now.

"Ill be earning monet playing Video Games!"
    "ill be earning money talking in front of a camera!"
    "I'll be earning money selling weed!"

Kids that age have a growing concern about their place in the world, where the #1 concern society gives them is "how will you earn money?" Doing that while doing what you love seems a natural dream to hold for everyone.

****. I wished i knew how to earn money by playing board games.
    You're probably right. I think it was a bit of an ego boost, to. The idea that people would go out of their way to hear my opinions or something.