New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default So how is Rampage?

It's been a while since I went to the theatre. The scores I've seen make it clear that this isn't destined to be a classic masterpiece. but is it at least decently watchable? I by that I mean characters don't act like idiots, and we're not treated to maudlin Hollywood sappiness?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: So how is Rampage?

It's a Godzilla vs King Kong ripoff that paid another, much smaller Godzilla vs King Kong ripoff that became a bit of a hit for a while for the rights to their ripoff so people wouldn't think this new ripoff is a ripoff.

It should be a fun movie, is what I'm saying. Given that they can afford the Rock they should also have a decent effects budget. Go in for the destruction, not the story.

(I haven't seen it.)
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

It's nonsense for my taste. Visual effects again and again, explosions and destroying and nonstop camera shaking - that's all the movie. No plot, no dialogue - nothing. Blah and boring. The wolf looks sick. 5/10
    Don't forget to be awesome! 123yts.net Watch Your Favorite Movies Online

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    It's a Godzilla vs King Kong ripoff that paid another, much smaller Godzilla vs King Kong ripoff that became a bit of a hit for a while for the rights to their ripoff so people wouldn't think this new ripoff is a ripoff.

It should be a fun movie, is what I'm saying. Given that they can afford the Rock they should also have a decent effects budget. Go in for the destruction, not the story.

(I haven't seen it.)
    It's an interesting point though. I mean, that this is a "Rampage" movie when you could easily use this premise and name it anything you wanted with just a few less proper nouns in the script for the Monsters, and never worry about the licensing. I've played Rampage (My father has pretty much every Atari 2600 game for reasons that needn't be explored at this juncture) and it was a fun game really, but I don't think most people my age know what it is and at the same time I'm in the age swath that's probably this movie's main demographic. My mother certainly knew what Rampage was when we saw the trailer based off of her cultural osmosis, but she's not itching to see such a movie unprompted.

It's odd, is all.

Granted, Rampage's license might've been spectacularly cheap, but still... Hollywood is really willing to pony up the dough for something with the vaguest name recognition that it's well past the point where you can satirize it.

Is Stretch Armstrong still getting a movie?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was disappointed when I saw the trailer that they changed the plot from mutated humans to overgrown animals. I liked the over the top mad scientist-ness of the game, doubly so in Total Destruction when they added a lot more characters.

Then I realized I was complaining about the plot in not only a video game movie, but the Rampage movie. I doubt most players cared about the plot.

With all the other movies coming out, my limited theater budget gave it a pass, but I loved the games, so I'm sure I'll check it out on netflix or whatever

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I was disappointed when I saw the trailer that they changed the plot from mutated humans to overgrown animals. I liked the over the top mad scientist-ness of the game, doubly so in Total Destruction when they added a lot more characters.

Then I realized I was complaining about the plot in not only a video game movie, but the Rampage movie. I doubt most players cared about the plot.

With all the other movies coming out, my limited theater budget gave it a pass, but I loved the games, so I'm sure I'll check it out on netflix or whatever
    I did. I was disappointed as well. Back then I mostly watched other people play the games, but Rampage is one I played. They should have kept the premise. I'm not sure I'm going to see it. The plot, as it is, is not engaging. A CGI gimmick is not itself a deal breaker, but if the plot doesn't sell to me, I won't see it. Same thing with Pacific Rim but Ready Player One I did see and enjoy. Maybe it's because I'm not a kid anymore. If I was younger I'd probably go see it because I liked the game. Today I need some substance even for a filler movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Saw it.

It's very dumb, but it's also very fun. There's not... a lot that you can really say about it. There are giant monsters, one of them is The Rock's friend but is also super-aggressive because super-serum and needs to be saved, things progress pretty much how you'd expect and a lot of stuff gets trashed in entertaining ways.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Mostly agree with Friv. Not so much the "dumb"...maybe more..."mindless".

I am of the perfect arcade age...HS and College in the 80s and early 90s. Rampage was a fun game that people used to see giant monsters smash buildings, crush tanks and eat people.

What do we get to see in the movie? Giant monsters smash buildings, crush tanks and eat people. The roles are all caricatures...which is EXACTLY what they should be. This isn't a game with rich and multi-layered backstory that spawns a movie that should generate a lot of angst in people for lacking fidelity with the original source material and the 7 sequels it spawned. After we saw it I said to my wife "the Rock is totally not the star of this movie" and I stand by that. We both like him, and both liked the movie.

If on hearing "They made a movie based on the Rampage video game and it stars the Rock" and you thought Hrm, I might like to see that then you definitely should see it. Absolutely worth a fun watch if you were remotely considering it. Call it a 3.5 out of 5. If you thought That's dumb, I hate Rock/video game movies/giant monsters smashing things then don't bother. Clearly it isn't meant for you.

Disclaimer: We have a nice theater very close by the house that is $6 tickets for all non-3D shows (and is all first-run), so consider that our reviews are influenced by the fact that we don't have to pay $24 to get in the door. We also have the big "loyalty" cup so we get 32oz soda for $1.75. Basically a full movie experience (tickets, candy, popcorn and soda) for the two of us is $20, so we get to see a lot more than if we didn't have such a good theater at such a good value.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I was disappointed when I saw the trailer that they changed the plot from mutated humans to overgrown animals.
    I had completely forgotten that part. that explains why the third character was a (were)wolf. That was the one thing that would have set it apart from other giant monster movies as well.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Is Stretch Armstrong still getting a movie?
    I thought he got a Netflix series.

Rampage had a plot?!
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-04-22 at 12:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I thought he got a Netflix series.
    Let's see...

Oh~ they got the guy behind Spectacular Spider-Man and it shows. Also Kate Mulgrew voices a character.

I've never seen it in the Netflix list, maybe it's on the kids section?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I love Rampage for it brought us this.

Nella Explains a thing about Rampage

The first two minutes are spoiler free but about 2:15 you will have spoilers for the movie Rampage.

Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele