New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Any Dinosaur buffs around here?

In one of my settings Dinosaurs still live in america and one of the european NPCs has one as a pet.

I'm looking for a very small dino that can stay on his lap or on the table while he feeds raw meat to it.

Any good species that you guys can think of?
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Any Dinosaur buffs around here?

Well, I don't mean to brag, but I've seen Jurassic Park like twenty times. And read the book at least five.

Anyway, on a more serious note. Procompsognathus, or "compys," would fit the bill. No promises on their temperament.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3

A velociraptor could work, if you consider "medium-sized dog" to be small enough to fit that description. A compy (including tail) is about 1 meter long and 1 kg in weight, and (comparatively), a velociraptor (including tail) is 2 meters long and weights 15kg.

I hope you make them feathery, because feathery dinosaurs are so much cooler than scaled dinosaurs.

I presume the NPCs have either made a domesticated breed (like the Russians did with foxes) or...the NPC is just sure to keep his dinosaur well-fed at all times.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Microraptor would be cool. It's sort of a proto-proto-bird with wings at his arms and his legs. Depending on the flavor needed you can make it an actual flyer or a glider.

Another option would be protoceratops. It's a little big for on the table, it's more of an under the table pet maybe. People often think of dinosaurs as either carnivores (the theropods) or herbivores (everything else). But there is good evidence that at least some ceratopsids might have had a more boar or badger like lifestyle where eating any meat they could get their hands on, for instance by chasing off predators, would be welcome.

A more classic option, a bit larger than the compsognathus, would be eoraptor. Beagle sized theropod. It's an early model, so it usually gets drawn with a reptile like skin rather than the feathers of many later theropods. (Whether that's accurate is a whole debate given the evidence of feather like structures in non-theropod dinosaurs.)

And finally there is the option of a land-croc in place of a dinosaur. For most of the history of our planet active land predators outnumbered the semi-aquatic species in the crocodile branch of the archosaur family (there's even some branches of herbivores as well). A random species that's small enough to at least get near the right size range (quite a few of these guys are pretty big) would be hesperosuchus.

(Of course if dinosaurs continued existing and evolving for another 65 million years you don't really need to go for a historic species.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-04-21 at 05:00 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    A velociraptor could work, if you consider "medium-sized dog" to be small enough to fit that description. A compy (including tail) is about 1 meter long and 1 kg in weight, and (comparatively), a velociraptor (including tail) is 2 meters long and weights 15kg.

I hope you make them feathery, because feathery dinosaurs are so much cooler than scaled dinosaurs.

I presume the NPCs have either made a domesticated breed (like the Russians did with foxes) or...the NPC is just sure to keep his dinosaur well-fed at all times.
    http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/ar...-for-this-week
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6

Protoceratops a pig size dino that belongs to the triceratops family.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Slayer View Post
    Protoceratops a pig size dino that belongs to the triceratops family.
    Would they eat raw meat though?

Might be a bit on the large side for "feeding on lap" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post

Another option would be protoceratops. It's a little big for on the table, it's more of an under the table pet maybe. People often think of dinosaurs as either carnivores (the theropods) or herbivores (everything else). But there is good evidence that at least some ceratopsids might have had a more boar or badger like lifestyle where eating any meat they could get their hands on, for instance by chasing off predators, would be welcome.
    Mind you - even in the present day, some more overtly herbivorous animals like deer and antelope, are known to kill and eat mice or small birds.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-04-23 at 07:13 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Might be a bit on the large side for "feeding on lap" too.
    Spoiler: Everything is Possible, by the Power of Love!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I was going to suggest Coelophysis, as I recall a National Geographic book on dinosaurs describing it as "chicken-sized". But that's one big chicken!
    (also, that book is older than I am!)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Eosinopteryx!

I mean, look at the guy. About a foot long.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-04-23 at 07:59 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There's plenty of species of small carnivorous dinosaur critters to choose from. To name a few:

Dromeosaurus is an animal that is roughly greyhound-sized and has characteristics similar to a velociraptor.

Bambiraptor is another alternative. And before you ask, yes, it was named after the Disney deer. Dino names get silly sometimes.

If you want to move away from raptors, there's Dilong, which is an early Tyrannosaurus relative, but much smaller at about 1.5 to 2 meters long. It could fit curled up on a sofa with its head and front limbs resting on someone's lap. There's also Guanlong, which is similar and has the addition of a nifty crest on the head.

If you want to get a little weird, there's there's recently-described Halszkaraptor, which behaved like a duck and was amphibious like one, too.
    Last edited by Berserk Mecha; 2018-04-23 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error.

12. - Top - End - #12

I had something like this in mind:

I think a Procompsognathus will do the job, thanks.

Protoceratops is very cute I loved it ^o^ but to big for what I have in mind, but thanks for the infor anyway. :D
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-04-23 at 07:06 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

13. - Top - End - #13

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Well bear in mind that millions of years is a long time, plenty of time for a species to miniaturize (just look at insects!). Granted, that's also loads of time to look nothing like what you want them to, too, but as the setting creator you can ignore that part. Add to that that your setting has these dinosaurs are on a very large continent that in our own world was inhabited by humans for thousands of years before European contact. If the same is true for your setting, there's time for some level of domestication, which can also lead to miniaturization.

So don't get too hung up on a specific species. It took only 65 million years for shrew-like things to become person-like things. Imagine what might have happened to (non-avian theropod) dinosaurs.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    If you want to move away from raptors,
    Based on my extension knowledge of Jurassic Park, moving away from raptors is always a good idea.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-04-23 at 08:41 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #15

oooh I'll suggest a couple

There is Yi Qi, which resembles a mini crow sized dragon but eats mainly insects, lizards, etc.

If you want something more bird like than a raptor there are several Troodontidae of the size your looking for.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a list I found of good pet dinosaurs and what to consider before purchasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eoraptor seems best to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittacosaurus is your other option kinda like cross between protoceratops and the bitsy theropods ...but not a meat eater but interesting.

- I swear I need a new keyboard.