New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Some questions about metamagic and multipliers

If I hit an undead creature with a Fireball with the Energize Spell and Empower Spell metamagics applied to it, what's the damage multiplier for the damage to that undead creature if it fails its save? If it succeeds on the save (and thus takes half damage from the spell)?

If I'm a divine caster who has qualified for the Arcane Thesis feat via the Southern Magician feat, do I only get the metamagic reduction if I prepare or cast my Arcane Thesis'd spell as an arcane spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Some questions about metamagic and multipliers

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    If I hit an undead creature with a Fireball with the Energize Spell and Empower Spell metamagics applied to it, what's the damage multiplier for the damage to that undead creature if it fails its save? If it succeeds on the save (and thus takes half damage from the spell)?
    I've been told that metamagic feats apply separately (that is, they apply in the most favorable order, and not simultaneously). So you'd deal +x1.5 and then +x1.5.

Say you have a lucky day and roll 34 for your fireball's damage dice. Empower Spell applies: 51, Energize Spell: 76 (numbers round down) for that total. If the undead creature makes their save, they take 38 points of damage.
    ----
    The spell wouldn't have to be prepared using southern magician, because the text doesn't say that it has to be cast as an arcane spell, just that when you "cast the spell"

That said, questions like these should probably go to the RAW thread.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-04-20 at 11:15 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post

If I'm a divine caster who has qualified for the Arcane Thesis feat via the Southern Magician feat, do I only get the metamagic reduction if I prepare or cast my Arcane Thesis'd spell as an arcane spell?
    you apply both multipliers, like normal, depending on the target:

undead, fail: normal damage *1.5 * 1.5, or normal *2.25
    undead, pass: (normal damage *1.5 * 1.5, or normal *2.25)/2, or normal damage *1.125

you get the reduction all the time. you've already qualified for the feat.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

you apply both multipliers, like normal, depending on the target:

undead, fail: normal damage *1.5 * 1.5, or normal *2.25
    undead, pass: (normal damage *1.5 * 1.5, or normal *2.25)/2, or normal damage *1.125

you get the reduction all the time. you've already qualified for the feat.
    would this not trigger the dnd abstract numbers multiplication rule, where x1.5 + x1.5 = x2? I feel like it would.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    would this not trigger the dnd abstract numbers multiplication rule, where x1.5 + x1.5 = x2? I feel like it would.
    Seconded, especially since this weird multiplication rule (really, it's an addition rule they make out to be multiplication that makes it easier to describe the individual rules) basically only ever applies to damage. Empower spell doesn't deal x1.5 damage, it deals +50% damage. This just basically never matters except when it's interacting with other damage stuff.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

To a fair extent the answer is "DM's call", but we have some examples on which to bse that DM's call.
    In addition to the ones given above, there is the RAW answer to empower plus maximize which equals "max + half rolled".

I.e. for a maximised empowered10d6 fireball: 60 + (10d6)/2
    (Note 5d6 is not the same thing as half of 10d6, it is very close but it has a different probability distribution, very few will complain if that is hwat you roll, but it is not RAW.)

Despite this example, I would go with the "they stack" rule for empower + energize, not because of the undead, but because of the non-undead!
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2018-04-21 at 08:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Seconded, especially since this weird multiplication rule (really, it's an addition rule they make out to be multiplication that makes it easier to describe the individual rules) basically only ever applies to damage. Empower spell doesn't deal x1.5 damage, it deals +50% damage. This just basically never matters except when it's interacting with other damage stuff.
    If that's a rule, please cite it. I've never heard of it before.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

No.

If that's a rule, please cite it. I've never heard of it before.
    Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quote of that link
    Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).
    Link

Quote Originally Posted by SRD Quote of that link
    Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.
    Additionally, because the designers think we're idiots (or at the very least, were trying very hard on this particular issue to make sure nobody could claim they didn't know about the rule), they tended to list how this rule applied in most cases where it was directly applicable. Here's an example from Core:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#lance
    A lance deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount. It has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

While mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spiritedCharge
    When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance).
    This is - to use the phrase that usually gets thrown around when these rules come up - is two doublings combining to make a tripling. This is because these "doubling" mechanics aren't actually "x2", but rather "+100%".

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

so basically following the same logic, you take (1.5 - 1) as the value imparted by empower and the same for energize, so each adds .5 the spell's original damage. in this instance I'm assuming we roll the damage for the original spell only once and then double it.

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

so basically following the same logic, you take (1.5 - 1) as the value imparted by empower and the same for energize, so each adds .5 the spell's original damage. in this instance I'm assuming we roll the damage for the original spell only once and then double it.
    Indeed. This would also mean that the Empowered Energized spell dealt 100% damage to living targets (as opposed to 75%).

My Homebrew