New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Fictional Name for a Molotov

So in the current RPG I am making, I am going to add craft item rules to making molotov cocktails. The problem is that this is a completely different world from Earth, and World War 2, The Winter War, Finland, the Soviet Union, and General Molotov all do not exist. Do you know a name people would call Molotovs in a completely fictional universe?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fictional Name for a Molotov

A bottle bomb? I think that's one we use in the real world, too. Or a [name of fuel] bomb.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

1) Use other real life names, such as 'bottle bombs' because sometimes people are unimaginative and really need something easy to remember to scream at the appropriate moments.

2) Instead of insulting Russians with the name, find another group within your campaign that people don't mind insulting. Stupid goblins and their goblin bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Do you throw them and they fly in the air? Are they on fire?

How about Fireflies!

BTW, they can have multiple nicknames...
    Last edited by FreddyNoNose; 2018-04-21 at 01:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

How about alchemist's fire?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect that your players will wind up calling them "those Molotov cocktails with the funny name".

If English is the language they speak, then they will continue to use the English term.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sunshine -> it's moonshine, except hotter & brighter.

Bunko's Lamp -> you could get a similar effect by hurling an expensive lantern, so this is the bargain-basement version.

Free Potions -> if people re-use potion vials as the container, this is something the hurlers might say.

Arson Jars -> in the spirit of calling arrow slits "murder holes".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Arson Jars -> in the spirit of calling arrow slits "murder holes".
    Arrow slits and murder holes are actually two different things. Arrow slits are, basically, small windows that are good for shooting arrows out of. Murder holes are holes in the ceiling, usually in a gatehouse, that people on the second floor can use to drop stones, boiling water, burning pitch, or other deadly things onto attackers.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    +1 to this. A glass vial that explodes into sticky flame on contact? Sounds like Alchemist's Fire to me.

Alternatively, Gutter Fire—that kind of Alchemist's fire that comes from less respectable pedigree.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Depending on how appropriate it might be to the setting, you could just call them "homemade fire bombs".

Or you could be lazy and call them Votolom cocktails.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the Molotov Cocktail was named for a famous use of the device. You could stick with that. Pick a major civil-military incident in your world's history and name it after that.

Or just leave the trivial detail alone. Do your players even know why it's called a Molotov Cocktail? If they don't know or care why it's called that in the first place, they won't care that you've changed it.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I suspect that your players will wind up calling them "those Molotov cocktails with the funny name".

If English is the language they speak, then they will continue to use the English term.
    This is my experience as well. Verisimilitude is all well and good, but ultimately if its a Molotov cocktail in all but name, then theyre quickly going to become Molotov cocktails in name as well. Much in the same way that nobody will remember the full name and title of His Lord Majesty, King Richard Hieronymus Umpwith Vermillion III, Lord of the Seven Towers and ruler of Thisland. He will be "the king" if youre lucky and "king dude" if you aren't.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bottled Flame

Imp in a bottle

Pyromancers Piss

Fire Water

Liquid Inferno

Carafe of Conflagration

Devil's suprise

Blazing tears

Ignis Aqua
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spicy Lights

But really everyone is going to call them Molotovs.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Imp in a bottle
    Most of your ideas will work, but I wouldn't use this in a game system with actual imps, unless the contents of the bottle included one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Gandalf Cocktail
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

Most of your ideas will work, but I wouldn't use this in a game system with actual imps, unless the contents of the bottle included one.
    Was just writing what popped up in my head withour thinking about the explicit Imp-lication of the system or the setting
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

How about just calling it a Firebomb? Cuz thats what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    The problem is that this is a completely different world from Earth, and World War 2, The Winter War, Finland, the Soviet Union, and General Molotov all do not exist.
    I hate to tell you this, but then English itself is a problem. Lots of English words are based off people or places. Armageddon? Is there a Megiddo Valley in your world? Macabre? Did the Maccabees exist? You're going to have lots of problems if you insist on replacing words that reference people, places, or events that never happened in your world.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-04-22 at 05:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but then English itself is a problem. Lots of English words are based off people or places. Armageddon? Is there a Megiddo Valley in your world? Macabre? Did the Maccabees exist? You're going to have lots of problems if you insist on replacing words that reference people, places, or events that never happened in your world.
    That would be the argument's Achilles heel.

-- -- --

Anyway, back on topic:

Discount Druid - "it burns down houses", just like those nasty Druid people did last equinox.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Yeah it's this. Lotta talk in this thread about a non-existent problem.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Who says there isn't a Dwarven general called Molotov?

23. - Top - End - #23

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    A glass vial that explodes into sticky flame on contact? Sounds like Alchemist's Fire to me.
    Alchemist's Fire costs 20gp per flask and spontaneously ignites when it breaks. A molotov is an oil flask with a burning rag tied around it. It only costs 1sp. You can get 200 molotovs for the cost of one flask of Alchemist's Fire. Before Alchemist's Fire was added to the list of standard equipment, we just used flasks of lamp oil. We called them oil flasks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Alchemist's Fire costs 20gp per flask and spontaneously ignites when it breaks. A molotov is an oil flask with a burning rag tied around it.
    An oil flask wouldn't work (and in 3.5 it was a generous 50/50 shot if it did) because room-temperature oil is difficult to ignite with an errant flame. A molotov uses gasoline or alcohol as a base instead; something flammable with a low vaporization point because it's a heck of a lot easier to ignite the gases than the liquid. Then there are various other things that can be added to it to turn it into something resembling napalm.

25. - Top - End - #25

Zombie

An oil flask wouldn't work (and in 3.5 it was a generous 50/50 shot if it did) because room-temperature oil is difficult to ignite with an errant flame. A molotov uses gasoline or alcohol as a base instead; something flammable with a low vaporization point because it's a heck of a lot easier to ignite the gases than the liquid. Then there are various other things that can be added to it to turn it into something resembling napalm.
    That's still really cheap compared to Alchemist's Fire. You can get moonshine for the same silver piece that buys a flask of lamp oil. Even if you want to splurge on fancy bandy for small batch artisanal masterwork molotovs, it's still half the cost of Alchemist's Fire.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

There are degrees of separation there though - digging into the etymology is a bit different than there being an obvious name front and center, with words like "bowlderize" or "fletcherize" filling in the middle. Sure, "labyrinthine" is derived pretty obviously from "labyrinth", which made its way into English primarily through one particular story, but it isn't a word that's going to stand out when referring to an area. Contacting someone in the area and saying something like "Minotaur, this is Theseus, where you at?*" is far more blatant.

*This is an actual quote related to actual navigation being done within a friend group.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Terry Pratchett once wrote an essay on that. I think he started out with the word "Sandwich" arguing that there's obviously no Earl of Sandwich on the Discworld, but if he called them "Sto-Lats" after the Duke of Sto-Lat or something, no one would get it. Then he listed a few dozen others.

I think in the end, does it hurt anyone if you just use that name?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Terry Pratchett once wrote an essay on that. I think he started out with the word "Sandwich" arguing that there's obviously no Earl of Sandwich on the Discworld, but if he called them "Sto-Lats" after the Duke of Sto-Lat or something, no one would get it. Then he listed a few dozen others.

I think in the end, does it hurt anyone if you just use that name?
    True, but you can easily whip up some "simple english" equivalents which could spice up your setting, directly convey the meaning, and at the same time be tiny bit more consistent.

Like, I don't know, "packed bread" instead of sandwich?

Oil bomb, or fire bottle instead of molotov cocktail.

Of course, trying to be 100% with it would be impractical if not downright impossible, but still, some conversions might not hurt.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Flammy Blammy

Hotter Potter

Burny Urny

Blaze Vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"Flame cologne"
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!