New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Mystic Ranger of the Arcane Order

I'm playing in a party of 4, the other 3 are all new. I don't quite know what they'll be playing, but one suggested that they'd play a fighter, another a wizard, and I'm completely in the dark about the third. This made me want to play a character with some combat, some skills, and a buffing focus. Here's the build I had in mind:

Binder 1/Wizard 1/Mystic Ranger 4/Metaphysical SpellShaper 1/War Weaver 5/X

My DM ok'd classes that say "+1 Level in Arcane Spellcasting Class" levels to be able to go to Mystic Ranger after I took the Sword of the Arcane Order feat

I was thinking going Spellguard of Silvery Moon with Arcane Disciple to Weave Divine Power to all my party, or maybe Arcane Archer to influence my Archery

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mystic Ranger of the Arcane Order

You can skip the Wizard level and spend a feat on Magical Training (PGtF) to get a spell book that you're able to add more spells to (per Rules Compendium).

A Frostblood Half-Orc in Dragon Magic gets Endurance as a bonus feat at 1st level, and if you would later gain Endurance again as a bonus feat, you can select any other feat you qualify for instead. A Mystic Ranger gets Endurance at the 4th level, Sword of the Arcane Order requires Ranger 4, so going Frostblood Half-Orc basically gives a Mystic Ranger that feat as a bonus feat at 4th level. See if you can combine Frostblood Half-Orc with the Desert Half-Orc variant (a tundra is technically a desert), and use the Half-Humans and Humanlike Races variant from Races of Destiny p150. That doesn't get an Int penalty, and you'll count as a Human instead of an Orc (but still count as a Half-Orc and Dragonblood race) so you can qualify for Magical Training.

Metaphysical Spellshaper requires the ability to cast 3rd level spells, so you'll need 6th level Mystic Ranger spellcasting before you can start taking that. Also be sure to get that cleared with your DM first, BoEF is as 3rd party as it gets.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    You can skip the Wizard level and spend a feat on Magical Training (PGtF) to get a spell book that you're able to add more spells to (per Rules Compendium).
    I wasn't sure what would be better, a dip into Wizard and the Shooting Star ACF for a higher spellcaster level, or the feat expense, the Frostblood Half-Orc makes me lean more towards the feat

A Frostblood Half-Orc in Dragon Magic gets Endurance as a bonus feat at 1st level, and if you would later gain Endurance again as a bonus feat, you can select any other feat you qualify for instead. A Mystic Ranger gets Endurance at the 4th level, Sword of the Arcane Order requires Ranger 4, so going Frostblood Half-Orc basically gives a Mystic Ranger that feat as a bonus feat at 4th level. See if you can combine Frostblood Half-Orc with the Desert Half-Orc[/URL] variant (a tundra is technically a desert), and use the Half-Humans and Humanlike Races variant from Races of Destiny p150. That doesn't get an Int penalty, and you'll count as a Human instead of an Orc (but still count as a Half-Orc and Dragonblood race) so you can qualify for Magical Training.
    I'll check this out ASAP, I was trying to land the 4th ranger level at 6th level, but this makes it much more flexible.

Metaphysical Spellshaper requires the ability to cast 3rd level spells, so you'll need 6th level Mystic Ranger spellcasting before you can start taking that. Also be sure to get that cleared with your DM first, BoEF is as 3rd party as it gets.
    I was thinking of using Earth Spell to get into both this and Spellguard of Silverymoon Early

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cartejos View Post
    I wasn't sure what would be better, a dip into Wizard and the Shooting Star ACF for a higher spellcaster level, or the feat expense
    A Mystic Ranger does not qualify for that ACF, since it doesn't have animal companion.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou
    (a tundra is technically a desert)….
    No, a tundra landscape is not “technically a desert,” because tundra is defined not by precipitation, but by the deep level of permafrost below the surface. Temperate deserts don’t have permafrost, so the geology and hydrology are completely different.

Also, desert half-orcs gain heat endurance as a racial trait, which is hard to argue for in a tundra setting, at least with a straight face.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure you can only scribe spells that are on your class spell list, and as a Ranger, you can already prepare all the spells on your class spell list. Seems dubious.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure you can only scribe spells that are on your class spell list, and as a Ranger, you can already prepare all the spells on your class spell list. Seems dubious.
    Pay someone to scribe them for you is the most common method I've found

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Keeping the wizard level and exchanging your familiar for an animal companion with the UA variant might satisfy you GM if he hassles you over Shooting Star Sub levls.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Magical Training gives you a spellbook that you've already put several cantrips from the Wizard spell list into. Per the Rules Compendium, anyone who prepares and casts spells can learn more spells and add them to their spellbook via a method described there that's basically identical to the method described in the PHB for Wizards. So taking the spellbook version of Magical Training gets you everything you need for Sword of the Arcane Order.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by retaliation08 View Post
    Keeping the wizard level and exchanging your familiar for an animal companion with the UA variant might satisfy you GM if he hassles you over Shooting Star Sub levls.
    Keep in mind that this isn't anywhere near close to RAW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by cartejos View Post
    I wasn't sure what would be better, a dip into Wizard and the Shooting Star ACF for a higher spellcaster level, or the feat expense, the Frostblood Half-Orc makes me lean more towards the feat

I'll check this out ASAP, I was trying to land the 4th ranger level at 6th level, but this makes it much more flexible.

I was thinking of using Earth Spell to get into both this and Spellguard of Silverymoon Early
    earth spell has the feat tax of earth sense, technically Sanctum spell would work better, just would not be able to apply it outside of sanctum (but you technically have access to a higher spell level)
    Quote Originally Posted by BassoonHero View Post
    No, the problem is that the limit one can achieve with physical brute force from a human body is low, very, very, very low, so obviously someone pursuing strength via muscles is not going to get far.
    This is certainly true in 3.5, but I don't think that it's an inevitable feature of the fantasy genre. Look at wuxia. Look at mythology. Look at what "peak human" means in the DC universe. I think that "strength via muscles" can do some pretty amazing things if the system allows for it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Mystic Ranger of the Arcane Order

I am assuming that the reason Wizard 1 dip is being considered is this line in SotAO:

If you also have levels in wizard, your wizard caster level is treated as the sum of your wizard, paladin, and ranger class levels.
    While it's not clear from the text, there is an argument to be made that Mystic Ranger ALREADY has full caster level progression. If they inherited their (delayed) caster level progression from regular ranger, they would be completely unable to cast spells until level 4 which is clearly not intended. Even after level 4, the anemic caster level of the regular ranger makes many spells useless. Your mileage may vary, but that's the easiest and most intuitive fix in my opinion.

If you are instead considering this line
    These wizard spells can be taken either from your spellbook (if you have one)
    As far as I know, anyone can have their own spellbook. Typically it's useless for anyone besides a wizard, but anyone who has 100 gold to spend, can buy an empty one. If the text said "Spellbook class feature" that would be a different story, but a spellbook is just a cheap item...

Some questions:
    Is Wildshape Ranger variant stackable with Mystic Ranger in your campaign? Trading your (already delayed) combat style feats for Wildshape is an amazing deal.

Metaphysical SpellShaper is from the Book of Erotic Fantasy.
    a) Is your group mature enough to have this as a regular source?
    b) Are third party sources approved in general?
    c) Are you sure that an infinite free metamagic battery is appropriate in a group of new players? It just seems like a completely different level of optimization that what most experienced and optimized groups tend to do.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Whoops.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    While it's not clear from the text, there is an argument to be made that Mystic Ranger ALREADY has full caster level progression. If they inherited their (delayed) caster level progression from regular ranger, they would be completely unable to cast spells until level 4 which is clearly not intended. Even after level 4, the anemic caster level of the regular ranger makes many spells useless. Your mileage may vary, but that's the easiest and most intuitive fix in my opinion.
    Agree. The clear intent of Mystic Ranger was that caster level went up 1:1 with class level, as it does for almost every other class.

Using standard Ranger caster level on a Mystic Ranger results in a rules dysfunction at levels 1, 2, and 3.

Is Wildshape Ranger variant stackable with Mystic Ranger in your campaign? Trading your (already delayed) combat style feats for Wildshape is an amazing deal.
    In games where I allow both, then yes I do allow them in combination. But I also tend to house-rule the Mystic Ranger's spell progression so that it's more like the Duskblade, rather than getting level 5 spells at level 10 and then stagnating for the last 10 levels.

Metaphysical SpellShaper is from the Book of Erotic Fantasy.
    a) Is your group mature enough to have this as a regular source?
    b) Are third party sources approved in general?
    c) Are you sure that an infinite free metamagic battery is appropriate in a group of new players? It just seems like a completely different level of optimization that what most experienced and optimized groups tend to do.
    a) Sure but it's not great even when I want sexual content. Kudos to them for making a sex-positive product, but it's just not that good mechanically.
    b) Nothing is approved "in general", everything that goes into the game gets reviewed. Some 3rd party content has been approved, and some Core content has been removed.
    c) I would not allow any infinite resource loop in a game where resource management was ever expected to be a challenge. Since I do like resource management as a game challenge, that would mean no infinite loops in my games, period.

EDIT: added spoiler.
    Last edited by Nifft; 2018-04-22 at 11:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Mystic Ranger of the Arcane Order

Nifft, are you the DM for this game? If yes:

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    In games where I allow both, then yes I do allow them in combination. But I also tend to house-rule the Mystic Ranger's spell progression so that it's more like the Duskblade, rather than getting level 5 spells at level 10 and then stagnating for the last 10 levels.
    Well, are they both allowed then? Is the spell progression house-ruled?

a) Sure but it's not great even when I want sexual content. Kudos to them for making a sex-positive product, but it's just not that good mechanically.
    Agreed that it isn't that great in general. I would be giving Wizards a ton of kudos if they published it themselves. A third party trying to fill a niche is admirable too.

c) I would not allow any infinite resource loop in a game where resource management was ever expected to be a challenge. Since I do like resource management as a game challenge, that would mean no infinite loops in my games, period.
    Infinite may not have been the best word, however, metaphysical spellshaper in particular does allow for nearly unlimited metamagic using Metaphysical Metamagic with a Binder's Naberius vestige.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Nifft, are you the DM for this game? If yes:
    Oh! Nope, sorry.

Missed that requirement.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Magical Training gives you a spellbook that you've already put several cantrips from the Wizard spell list into. Per the Rules Compendium, anyone who prepares and casts spells can learn more spells and add them to their spellbook via a method described there that's basically identical to the method described in the PHB for Wizards. So taking the spellbook version of Magical Training gets you everything you need for Sword of the Arcane Order.
    Not anyone. The spell to be copied must be on the copier's class spell list. It's pretty clear on that point. Without levels in Wizard, that's just Ranger spells, which are rather pointless to copy as you can already prepare them all. Magical Training doesn't help there either, since it doesn't actually add any spells to your class spell list.

As far as I know, anyone can have their own spellbook. Typically it's useless for anyone besides a wizard, but anyone who has 100 gold to spend, can buy an empty one. If the text said "Spellbook class feature" that would be a different story, but a spellbook is just a cheap item...
    Sure, but an empty spellbook wouldn't be much use, right?
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-04-23 at 01:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Per the Rules Compendium, anyone who prepares and casts spells can learn more spells and add them to their spellbook via a method described there….
    Can you provide a citation with page number? I’d be interested in seeing the exact text you’re working from.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Can you provide a citation with page number? I’d be interested in seeing the exact text you’re working from.
    It's under Writings, Magical. Last entry in the book.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    A Mystic Ranger does not qualify for that ACF, since it doesn't have animal companion.
    A snag with this is that the animal companion requirement is only for the 'half' of the sub level that pertains to it. Not the whole thing. Which is why people still suggest it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Not anyone. The spell to be copied must be on the copier's class spell list. It's pretty clear on that point. Without levels in Wizard, that's just Ranger spells, which are rather pointless to copy as you can already prepare them all. Magical Training doesn't help there either, since it doesn't actually add any spells to your class spell list.
    Magical Training allows you to cast several 0-level spells per day as a Sorcerer or a Wizard, specifically allowing you to cast spells as a Sorcerer or Wizard, thus making that your class spell list for those spell slots and for what your spellbook is used for if you pick Wizard.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Metaphysical Spellshaper the PrC from BoEF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Is Metaphysical Spellshaper the PrC from BoEF?
    Yes, it is.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, it is.
    Nice.

That's actually a really cool PrC. Honestly, that whole book is cool. If only they had illustrations instead of... well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Magical Training allows you to cast several 0-level spells per day as a Sorcerer or a Wizard, specifically allowing you to cast spells as a Sorcerer or Wizard, thus making that your class spell list for those spell slots….
    Reading the feat, it looks like it gives you three 0-level spells, no more, which you can prepare in a spellbook. It doesn’t say anything about giving you the entire wizard class list. The feat doesn’t confer a level in wizard, just a spellbook specifically for those three 0-level spells. And having a spellbook for three 0-level spells doesn’t make you a wizard.

Note in particular that the feat doesn’t give Spellcraft as a class skill, which would be an essential prerequisite to copying additional spells. The feat specifies that you prepare your spells the same as a wizard, but it says nothing about adding any other features of the wizard class. The feat provides access to three cantrips, nothing more.

…a spell book that you're able to add more spells to (per Rules Compendium).
    Per the Rules Compendium (p. 160), “The spell to be copied must be on the copier’s class spell list.” Magical Training doesn’t grant a level in wizard, and therefore there is no arcane class on the character to have a spell list for.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Reading the feat, it looks like it gives you three 0-level spells, no more, which you can prepare in a spellbook. It doesn’t say anything about giving you the entire wizard class list. The feat doesn’t confer a level in wizard, just a spellbook specifically for those three 0-level spells. And having a spellbook for three 0-level spells doesn’t make you a wizard.

Note in particular that the feat doesn’t give Spellcraft as a class skill, which would be an essential prerequisite to copying additional spells. The feat specifies that you prepare your spells the same as a wizard, but it says nothing about adding any other features of the wizard class. The feat provides access to three cantrips, nothing more.

Per the Rules Compendium (p. 160), “The spell to be copied must be on the copier’s class spell list.” Magical Training doesn’t grant a level in wizard, and therefore there is no arcane class on the character to have a spell list for.
    Your class spell list is whatever class you cast spells from, not necessarily the class you have levels in. If you have a spellbook and the ability to prepare and cast a few wizard spells, wizard is the class spell list you use for those spells and that spellbook.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

If you have a spellbook and the ability to prepare and cast a few wizard spells, wizard is the class spell list you use for those spells and that spellbook.
    Not buying it. There’s nothing in Magical Training that bestows access to the entire wizard list. The point of the feat is to give characters without casting levels access to a couple useful cantrips. Magical Training isn’t a gateway to untold mysteries of the cosmos, it’s the ability to cast three cantrips, full stop.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, nowhere in the feat does it give you a class spell list. It just gives you three spells.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Not buying it. There’s nothing in Magical Training that bestows access to the entire wizard list. The point of the feat is to give characters without casting levels access to a couple useful cantrips. Magical Training isn’t a gateway to untold mysteries of the cosmos, it’s the ability to cast three cantrips, full stop.
    A Spellthief casts abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard class spell list. He only gets up to 4th level spells, but can still use a scroll or staff of a 5th-9th level spell that's included on that list. It doesn't matter what level of spells you get access to cast, only what class spell list your spells are chosen from.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Well yeah. That's because they have levels in the Spellthief class, thus giving them access to that class's spell list. Your class spell list is determined by the class you belong to. Hence the name.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

The feat gives you three spells, but in order to use those spells here's what it also gives you: you prepare spells as a wizard, cast spells as a wizard (with a caster level that scales with other arcane caster levels you have), and gain a spellbook.

Whether or not the feat gives you access to the wizard's class spell list is irrelevant. Per RC, "Spellcasters who use spellbooks can add new spells to their spellbooks through several methods." The feat does make you a spellcaster who uses a spellbook. That much is undeniable. As long as they can make the spellcraft checks, they can add spells. This doesn't necessarily mean they can cast those spells (which seems to be the debate). Sword of the Arcane Order is what allows the ranger to prepare and cast any wizard spells in the spellbook. List access for the feat is irrelevant, even for its more powerful uses (which aren't really within the scope of this thread).
    Sorcerer advice:
    Learn to play wizard.
    Monk advice:
    A Treatise on Monks
    A new infinite CL loop:
    The Meh-Gus
    Don't let crafters exceed WBL, it's the rules.
    How to parse Master Spellthief using the feat's text and PHB