New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Sorcerer Bloodline(5e): Dark Inheritor

Please critique and help me balance the bloodline.

Dark Inheritor
    While you may not have made a dark pact with an otherworldly entity it’s power still follows in you.

Dark Magic
    Your link to your dark bloodline allows you to learn spells normally associated with the warlock class. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a sorcerer cantrip or a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the warlock’s spell list, in addition to the sorcerer’s spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.

Dark Inheritance
    An cursed item was passed down to you, granting you some of its power. At 1st level, choose one of the following items. The item also counts as a sorcerer spell focus for you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cursed Trinket
    Choose a trinket from the trinket table in the PHB or roll a d100 for a random trinket.
    While wielding this small cursed trinket, you can cast the find familiar spell as a ritual. The spell doesn’t count against your number of spells known.
    When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: imp, pseudodragon, quasit, or sprite.

Cursed Blade
    This weapon once you inherit it, allows you to summon it to your hand with an action. Choose a weapon from the weapon list in the PHB. That weapon becomes your cursed blade. You are proficient with it while you wield it.
    Your cursed blade returns to your “sheath” if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more.

Cursed Grimoire
    When you gain this cursed book, choose two cantrips from any class’s spell list (the two needn’t be from the same list). While the book is on your person, you can cast those cantrips at will. They don’t count against your number of cantrips known. If they don’t appear on the sorcerer’s spell list, they are nonetheless sorcerer spells for you.

If you lose your Dark Inheritance, you can perform a 1-*‐‑hour ceremony to restore it to you. This ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous item.

If you die the cursed item become a non-usable ordinary item that appears next to your body. Until another person tied to your bloodline inherits it. Example; the weapon becomes extremely “rusted” and blunt or the book looks like it has become waterlogged and all the write inside is smeared.
    This feature does not stack with the Pact Boon class feature.

RP side note
    Spoiler
    Show
    The item you choose is cursed however the curse does not affect your character’s mechanical gameplay, it is merely for story or laughs. Talk with your DM to determine what the curse is. For example; if you do not spend enough time with the item in hand it will begin to weep blood. The blood will stain anything that it touches. The blood disappears when you console with the item long enough or the item is 10 feet away from the blood stain. Another idea, when you reach for an item inside a container like a coin pouch or backpack you sometimes instead pull your cursed item. Doing so does not damage the item or the container. Afterwords you hear an evil laugh in your mind.

Greater Inheritance
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 6th level, your cursed item gives you more of its power. You gain additional benefits listed below with your cursed item.

Cursed Trinket
    When you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own with its reaction.
    Additionally you can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar’s senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. Also, while perceiving through your familiar’s senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.

Cursed Blade
    Your cursed blade counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. You can also dismiss your cursed blade into an extra dimensional space (no action required). Using the summoned feature still brings it to your hand.
    Also, you can attack with your cursed blade twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Cursed Grimoire
    You may choose one additional cantrip from any classes spell list.
    Additionally, you can now inscribe magical rituals in your cursed book. Choose two 1st-*‐‑level spells that have the ritual tag from any class’s spell list (the two needn’t be from the same list). The spells appear in the book and don’t count against the number of spells you know. With your cursed book in hand, you can cast the chosen spells as rituals. You can’t cast the spells except as rituals, unless you’ve learned them by some other means. You can also cast a sorcerer and warlock spell you know as a ritual if it has the ritual tag.
    On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your cursed book. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell’s level is equal to or less than your sorcerer’s level and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell. For each level of the spell, the transcription process takes 2 hours and costs 50gp for the rare inks needed to inscribe it.

Dark Invocation
    At 14th level, you may choose to learn up to three warlock invocations. Treat your sorcerer levels as warlock levels to meet the prerequisites for the invocations. You may choose to replace one of the invocations you learned when you gain a level in sorcerer.

Legacy Inheritance
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 18th level, your cursed item bestows one final gift onto you.

Cursed Item
    You can cast hold monster at will—targeting up to 3 celestial, fiend, or elemental creatures—without expending a spell slot or material components. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature on the same creature(s) again.

Cursed Blade
    When you hit a creature with your cursed blade, the creature takes extra necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
    Additionally when you take the attack action and attack with your cursed blade you may spend three sorcery points to make one additional attack.

Cursed Grimoire
    Choose two warlock spells of 5th level or lower when you gain this feature. You may cast these spells without spending a spell slot and they cast at a spell slot level equal to 5th level. These spells do not go against your spells known and you regain the use of these spells after completing a short or long rest.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2018-05-02 at 06:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Sorcerer Bloodline(5e): Dark Inheritor

Not bad an ok brew 10 pbp points to you.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

Bump for posterity, this will be the end of it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Well with Shadow Blade you could do some sick damage with the extra attack. For the most part its in line with sorcerer damage though, but single target with lvl 9 you could make a 4d8 shadow blade, attack twice for 8d8+ability mod damage, not massive damage but consider you are a full spell caster as well it might be a bit much. I normal sorcerer has to split a little bit more damage with twinned booming blade also using a sorcery point.

When dealing with pure spell casters it's important to limit single target damage, or you quickly outclass classes like fighters, rogues, and paladins who do not get full spell casting as well.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lilika View Post
    Well with Shadow Blade you could do some sick damage with the extra attack. For the most part its in line with sorcerer damage though, but single target with lvl 9 you could make a 4d8 shadow blade, attack twice for 8d8+ability mod damage, not massive damage but consider you are a full spell caster as well it might be a bit much. I normal sorcerer has to split a little bit more damage with twinned booming blade also using a sorcery point.

When dealing with pure spell casters it's important to limit single target damage, or you quickly outclass classes like fighters, rogues, and paladins who do not get full spell casting as well.
    Actually the extra attack only applies to the cursed blade. You don’t actually get the extra attack feature like other classes.

The warlock is the same. You don’t get extra attack, you just get to attack twice with your pact blade when you take the attack action.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2018-04-24 at 12:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Actually the extra attack only applies to the cursed blade. You don’t actually get the extra attack feature like other classes.

The warlock is the same. You don’t get extra attack, you just get to attack twice with your pact blade when you take the attack action.
    Your right good catch, not sure why I didn't remember that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

WAIT that leads too another issue, it stacks with extra attack making it viable to take six levels in this class to grab an extra attack, or reaching 14th level in this and then multiclassing into a martial to grab an extra attack yourself. Way of the Kensai would be appealing here, or perhaps Paladin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Tarrasque View Post
    WAIT that leads too another issue, it stacks with extra attack making it viable to take six levels in this class to grab an extra attack
    Actually, no. Just like Thirsting Blade, the wording isn't "You gain another attack", it's "You can attack twice".

The 3 sorc point attack worries me more than that, really. If you've got a halberd and PAM with this, you could attack 4 times at 18th level, as a fullcaster. 3 sorc points at 18th level is probably not the biggest issue to reliably get (low level slots can be converted into more points, as you probably won't need them when you're such high level.), and you add Charisma to each hit.

Is it overpowered? I'm not really sure. It's certainly scary, and, combined with the hex spell, will certainly get messy, but I'm not sure I'd call it overpowered (especially compared to the fact you can also just Eldritch Blast twice in one turn, via Quicken).
    Check out my homebrew blog, Bando's Homebrew!

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbando View Post
    Actually, no. Just like Thirsting Blade, the wording isn't "You gain another attack", it's "You can attack twice".

The 3 sorc point attack worries me more than that, really. If you've got a halberd and PAM with this, you could attack 4 times at 18th level, as a fullcaster. 3 sorc points at 18th level is probably not the biggest issue to reliably get (low level slots can be converted into more points, as you probably won't need them when you're such high level.), and you add Charisma to each hit.

Is it overpowered? I'm not really sure. It's certainly scary, and, combined with the hex spell, will certainly get messy, but I'm not sure I'd call it overpowered (especially compared to the fact you can also just Eldritch Blast twice in one turn, via Quicken).
    I’m going to say it is not overpowered. Quicken eldritch blast, give the sorcerer 8 attacks for 2 sorcery points.

Besides, at that level crazy over the top things are always going to happen.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2018-04-28 at 06:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

I’m starting to not like the Dark Invocation feature. Anybody have some alternative ideas?

11. - Top - End - #11

BarbarianGuy

How about Self Patron? The Pact Magic imbued within the Sorceror's blood starts to resonate with the original Pact giver. Select one Power from the Patron Ability list. You can now use that ability as though you were a warlock of equal level.(I totally see that this isn't worded well, but I think the gist of what I'm going for can be understood)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

12. - Top - End - #12

Flumph

Mechanically it works and nothing is out of balance however it is underpowered, missing key mechanics in most of the oprions, and lacking flavor.
    1. Just as with the original the amulet or Pact of the chain is ultimately quite weak. The sorcerer is better with it because of quicken spell but the next amulet ability might as well as be a long list of ribbons because one is and the other probably isn't as good as a spell. Than your final ability is a pale imitation of the original as that one is at will.
    2. Blade is worse with a sorcerer as the small hit die and lack of tanky subclass options make it very hard work. Also 3 sorcery points for one free attack is a really bad trade.
    3. Again the book reigns supreme as the versatility it gives for one feature is astounding on top of giving the means to gain Eldritch blast only to get the invocations later.
    4. All sorcerer subclasses have at least one sorcery point option. Here only the blade does at level is 18.
    5. Do these items count as their equivalent in the warlock class?
    6. I personally believe it needs unique flavor to distinguish itself from a multiclass.