New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Phoenix Point, or "XCOM meets x-com"

Julian A. Gollup, creator of the original x-com game (and x-com: Apocalypse) has returned to the franchise (sort of) to create a game that looks like XCOM2, sounds like x-com, and smells like the ocean. Noteworthy features:

-More versatile movement
    -Bullet physics
    -Factions
    -Tyranid-style overmind keeps track of which strains are successful, makes more of the enemies you hate
    -Tyranid-style units arrive with 'equipment' in various combinations.

https://phoenixpoint.info/

Scheduled for a December release.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2018-04-24 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Phoenix Point, or "XCOM meets x-com"

I'm looking forward to this. Really hope it doesn't disappoint.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've seen people on Youtube playing the one sample mission that's been released and it has some interesting stuff in it--the enormous boss monster with about ten times as much health as anything else that forces you to choose your shots is particularly cool; in X-Com such a thing would basically be an exercise in frustration as you try to whittle its massive health bar down. I also like the return of Action Points, but combined with the intuitive X-Com UI feature where it shows you immediately how far you can move while still being able to take a shot at the end of it.

However, we're well over six months out from release, so we'll have to wait and see how the thing actually plays for ourselves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd missed that there was gameplay footage. I watched a video (here if anyone else's interested) and I gotta say, I rather like what I see. I frigging LOVE the ballistic and called shot systems. I like that cover will be once again a physical barrier instead of a flat penalty on the to-hit dice roll. And I think their solution for displaying TUs is really elegant. I always prefered them to the new XCOM's actions, and I'm glad they found a way to make them accessible for this new era of sleek interafaces. Still a lot of stuff missing, but at least they've gotten the tactical combat basics down.

One thing that stuck me is how similar it looks to the new XCOMs, both the interface and graphics. If I didn't know better I'd say they're running on the same engine, but they can't have possibly licensed that, can they?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    One thing that stuck me is how similar it looks to the new XCOMs, both the interface and graphics. If I didn't know better I'd say they're running on the same engine, but they can't have possibly licensed that, can they?
    They definitely didn't--X-COM is an Unreal engine game, whereas Phoenix Point is Unity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd missed that there was gameplay footage. I watched a video (here if anyone else's interested) and I gotta say, I rather like what I see. I frigging LOVE the ballistic and called shot systems. I like that cover will be once again a physical barrier instead of a flat penalty on the to-hit dice roll. And I think their solution for displaying TUs is really elegant. I always prefered them to the new XCOM's actions, and I'm glad they found a way to make them accessible for this new era of sleek interafaces. Still a lot of stuff missing, but at least they've gotten the tactical combat basics down.

I believe Gollop has mentioned that he's aiming for the UI of the NuCOMs, while still keeping the gameplay of the older games. He succeeded in at least one regard, at least.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, part of me insists that there has to have been a firaxis leak of some kind for them to have the look THAT CLOSE. I'm surprised they're being so collaborative. I can't wait to see the Solomon Chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I've seen people on Youtube playing the one sample mission that's been released and it has some interesting stuff in it--the enormous boss monster with about ten times as much health as anything else that forces you to choose your shots is particularly cool; in X-Com such a thing would basically be an exercise in frustration as you try to whittle its massive health bar down. I also like the return of Action Points, but combined with the intuitive X-Com UI feature where it shows you immediately how far you can move while still being able to take a shot at the end of it.

However, we're well over six months out from release, so we'll have to wait and see how the thing actually plays for ourselves.
    I maaay have splurged and picked up the alpha build pre-order, so I'll post screenshots of that tomorrow. Apparently it'll have the demo level they've shown off before, as well as procedurally generated missions.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED