New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Wellspring Under the Hills [IC] [Norse Themed]

"Three or more spears, then." Njaves nods at H'dre's information. She looks around, tapping her fingers on the spear's haft. "Thank you, H'dre. Next time I'm in town, I might spend some of my new found wealth on some of wares."

She turns to go, then suddenly turns back. "What were their clan markings? Just so I recognise them if I see them."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Njaves and Orindi

A'dre nods, and replies, "A red marking of kheya ha*, shell of turtle. And it would bring joy to have another customer amongst the Nunza*. Toksa akhe*, Watcher and Winded-One." Assuming that the conversation is over, A'dre turns his attention to a small pile of furs which has shifted slightly during the course of the conversation, rearranging them and making sure the pile doesn't fall over.

Spoiler: * - Draconic
    Show
    kheya ha - turtle shell
    Nunza - Skraeling word referring to non-Skraelings, meaning Soft-ones
    Toksa akhe - Farewell/until we meet again

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless either of you have anything else for A'dre, feel free to make your way over to the town gates to join the others.

Falias and Lucinda

Ingrid grins at the response, and is quick to speak a proverb that Lucinda is (likely) familiar with, having been told it in jest and mild frustration countless times from the priestesses of Freya; "'The bold succeed wheresoever they go, but often it is that what happens to most others that will happen to you.' The course is yours alone to determine, young lady, we mean only to guide you from our own experience." As the three of you continue walking, you finally arrive at the simple town gates, which are mostly empty of people who have gone back to their own duties and routine. Outside you can already see the stretches of simple farms, and in the distance begins the forest which, for many townspeople, might as well be the edge of Midgard itself. A few young boys are lounging about, mostly curious to see whoever might choose to enter or exit the town at any time. They speak in quiet, yet excited tones when they spot the three of you, but keep to themselves. Ingrid sighs a little as she finds a seat on a small rock nearby, and says, And now we wait for the others. I do hope they won't be taking too long."

Spoiler: Falias
    Show
    Out of the corner of your hearing, you can hear a voice trying to get your attention. A voice that you recognize belonging to Mertha keeps whispering your name just barley loud enough to be heard. As you look to her, she waves with one hand for you to come to her behind the corner of the house she is using to stay out of sight, and given the way she was trying to get your attention, she'd rather you do it as inconspicuously as possible.

Spoiler: Lucinda - DC 14 Perception
    Show
    A dwarven woman, Mertha, is trying to get Falias's attention. She's hiding behind a corner of one of the nearby houses, and motions for Falias to come to her.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20-1)[5]

Here's for hot rolls!

Edit: Nope!

Lucinda stands near Ingrid, and asks Can I do anything to make you more comfortable right now?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-05-15 at 10:15 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Orindi Griemhild

Orindi catches his breath at the speed you would suspect from an Air Genasi. Seeing that the conversation between Njaves and the lizardfolk had completed, he started towards the meeting place. After a while, he turns to Njaves. As he speaks, his pipe-smoke lingers around his neck and shoulders for a moment, almost as if it was heavier somehow.

"I do not understand why people distrust them. I've spent over a decade in the wilds, and they're the least wild things there."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

has kept silence during the walk, having carried most of Ingrid's belongings as he listened in to the conversation. Having noticed something of interest, he decides to take Lucinda's expression of courtesy for Ingrid to himself, walking in-between the both of them as lifts the equipment he has carried off his shoulders and on to the floor.

"Well, ye can make me'self feel more comfortable by watchin' tha stock for a sec- I got a full bladder that needs emptyin' across tha corner!" The dwarf says with the most serious tone he can muster, keeping a straight face as he quickly walks into the corner of nearby house, not even waiting for a response from Lucinda or Ingrid.
    Last edited by Detective; 2018-05-15 at 01:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Njaves nods seriously at H'dre's response, then smiles slightly. "I'll look forward to it. Toksa H'khe, H'dre." She makes a gesture of polite farewell, then spins on her heel, walking rapidly towards the gate. She shoulders her spear as she walks, resting it comfortably in the perfect spot for a long nights patrol, or a daylight march.

In response to Orindi's question, Njaves looks over at him with a faintly quizzical air, then realising he is serious, slows her pace slightly to think. "A long time ago, now, when this town was just a little collection of huts in the forest," looking around, she shrugs and faintly smiles, "still is, really. Anyway, the Skraelings attacked. Some good people, and some not so good people died. There's been bad blood ever since. Turns out that both of us have good memories when it comes to bloodshed."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    WW, feel free to merge us into the narrative as you see fit.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-05-15 at 02:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Lucinda looks at Ingrid, and then at Falias' retreating form. I'm... I'm gonna go ahead and follow him. See what he's actually doing.

She takes off after the dwarf, easily keeping pace, and says What are you REALLY doing?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll assume Ingrid is okay with this, since there's no way in hell she has a Passive Insight of -9. :P

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: DM Roll
    Show
    (1d20)[20]

Njaves and Orindi

As the two of you discuss the nature of the Skraelings, your minds just might begin to wander towards the facts you each know about the events of the past.

Spoiler: History - DC 10 OR Investigation - DC 14
    Show
    The Skraelings and the kingdom have been at odds almost since the two have met for the first time. The occasional breaches of peace and calm are just a matter of two people fighting over being different.
    Spoiler: History - DC 12 OR Investigation - DC 16
    Show
    The main point of contention between the Skraelings and the kingdom is the kingdom's constant expansion, and the Skraeling's insistance on being left alone. The Skraelings however, seem to agree that the kingdom is overreaching, and their occasional raids on frontier towns proves the kingdom's greed.
    Spoiler: History - DC 14 OR Investigation - DC 18
    Show
    However, there actually is no singular entity of government that 'the Skraelings' belong to as a whole. Each clan makes it's own decisions; one clan's justified war is another's ridiculous spat, and keeping track of who exactly is at war with whom is the source of the general distrust. While A'dre's clan attacked Dun Skarmont long ago, they have since made peace with the settlement, despite the raiding that other clans have done.

Falias and Lucinda

Ingrid only nods and leans back slightly, responding, "There is time yet to relieve yourself, Falias. Do not feel obligated to ask my permission, in the future," she says with a slight chuckle, though she doesn't respond to Lucinda's comment. Her eyes unfocus slightly as she stares into the distant woods, lost in thought for a moment.

Spoiler: Falias
    Show
    Mertha attempts to shrink back when Lucinda approaches you as well, attempting to stay out of sight.
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-05-15 at 03:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Falias stops in his track for a moment, not turning back yet so that his expression won't be seen just yet- Trying to think of a quick way to get her off his back.

A loud exhale of air can be heard from the dwarf as he finally turns himself towards Lucinda, his cheeks colored a bit red, looking agitated as he crosses his arms.

"Well, ye want to know tha truth, ya lass?" he mutters, leaning his head both front and up towards the half-elf, lowering his voice a bit so that he won't be heard from anyone else that might be walking nearby.

"This ain't just bloody piss- I have a certain "sword" that I have been aching to sharpen all day." The dwarf starts tapping his foot on the floor, getting a bit restless. "So, if ye would be so kind- Can't a dwarf ask for some damn privacy?!" The annoyance of the dwarf slips into his last sentence, making him say it a bit more loudly than he originally intended.

10. - Top - End - #70

Uh-huh. Sure you are... Lucinda says. Falia, we're going to be going to a dangerous journey. We have to be able to trust each other.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well, I sure don't trust ya-" Falias blurts these words, stopping himself right before shouting the last part. Putting a hand and rubbing his temples in frustration, he speaks again in a forced, calmer voice. "Look, me business is me own, so lets leave it at that- I didn't dive me nose into why Ingrid chose ye in particular for such a journey, or why she picked a stranger such as... I still have difficulty figurin' out how to call him!" He mutters, his eyes break contact to the left as he opens up his crossed arms to sides, reflecting his annoyance about that last part.

"What I am trying to say" Falias speaks again, turning to look back at Lucinda while lowering down his arms to the side. "I have things that I prefer to withhold to me'self with dwarf's stubbornness. Ya want us to trust one another? Don't push yeself into me troubles and problems unwanted first." He says, lowering his voice now so that hopefully only the two of them can hear his words. "I need to talk to someone quick before they'll leave. Ye want me trust? Don't pry into me own things first".

12. - Top - End - #72

Lucinda is quiet a moment. Then, she asks What do you have to hide? I can think of a lot of reasons why you might not want me around for a talk or whatever-but why lie about it? What do you have to hide?

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Falias falls silent for a bit, part because he isn't sure of a good answer, himself.

Honestly? I dinna even know what I "have to hide". I saw someone that wanted to talk with me, in private, so I made an exucse for me to leave without people askin; questions- Like ya are doin' now. He says, crossing his arms again as he slowly begins to tap the floor with his metal boot once more. The dwarf seems to get visibly more uptight as he is forced to stand there arguing
    Last edited by Detective; 2018-05-15 at 07:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Then you should've just SAID THAT! Lucinda says, loudly. Seriously! There's nothing wrong with wanting a private conservation, but when you lie about it, it just... Just go have your talk. I'll go back to Ingrid.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"And ya think that if I said that-" Falias stops himself from trying to complain further, letting out a deep sigh as he lowers his head, grasping the sides of his head as he feels a headache coming from this situation.

"... Fine. Ye go first, then I'll go back and return quickly." He speaks, waiting for her to walk back to Ingrid before he'll turn around to speak with the person he wanted to talk to.

16. - Top - End - #76

Lucinda turns and goes back to Ingrid. She taps her foot impatiently, not enjoying the company anymore.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Falias

Having finally rid yourself of unwanted company, you finally walk behind the corner where Mertha is waiting for you. She rolls her eyes and asks, "Would'a been too easy to just sneak off without talkin' about relievin' yerself or ... relievin' yourself, eh?" She takes a few steps back, looking around to confirm that the two of you are alone. She continues in a hushed tone, "So is it true? She's headed to the Wellspring? Or what's this really all about?"

Lucinda

The raised volume between you and Falias is enough to rouse Ingrid from whatever she was thinking about. After you return to her, she tilts her head with a look of concern, and asks, "What's gotten to you, then? Bickering before the journey begins isn't like you..." Her eyes flick to and fro, trying to read your expression for any clues as to what you may have been discussing.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I didn't expect anyone to actually follow and check!" Falias response, his hand plants itself over his face from the sheer awkwardness of that whole debacle earlier.
    Taking a quick breather to calm his senses, the dwarf speaks again: "Aye, we are indeed headed to wellspring, and roughly six days before we'll set foot back in Dun Skarmont"

19. - Top - End - #79

I'm a litle worried, Spakona. I don't like being lied to, Lucinda says, and that's on a normal day! But going out into a dangerous place... We might end up having to trust each other with our lives. Can we do that, with someone who'd lie over something so petty?

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Falias

Mertha nods, but looks as if she's still searching for a different answer. She takes a deep breath and says, "Alright, I trust ye. Just ... let us know if there's anything up in the hills the Guild wants to know about. Signs of ore veins, anything valuable, maybe some settlements we don't know about. Boss has got it in his head that there's more to this than an old woman like the Späkona just going to meditate, or perform some ritual." Her lips purse slightly, but she continues, "Personally I think he's gotten a bit paranoid, thinking the priests would want to double-cross someone, but orders is orders and pay is pay. So take care of yourself and just keep an eye out, yeah?"

Lucinda

Ingrid makes a brushing-away motion with her hand, and she says, "I doubt it's anything that serious.
    Falias is hard-working and honest, just like you. Sure, he lied a little, but I'm sure he has his reasons."
    She pauses to gauge your reaction before continuing, "But if you feel the need to keep an extra eye on him, I suppose it won't hurt. Just see to it the two of you don't just fight the whole journey. 2 days there and 2 days back is a long time to hold a grudge."

Njaves and Orindi

"... 2 days back is a long time to hold a grudge." Ingrid's voice floats around the corner you come around before seeing her and Lucinda conversing. Falias is nowhere to be seen, but the other two don't seem too concerned by the dwarf's absence.
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-05-17 at 07:06 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Aye, I'll like to find some valuable ore for me'self as well- Will give me somethin' else than just reforgin' and repairin' iron and copper." Falias answers, and puts a hand across his beard as he ponders about what she said about the Späkona "true intent". "Ye seem a bit worried, is there somethin' tha boss knows about this journey I should keep in mind?"
    Last edited by Detective; 2018-05-17 at 06:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

I'll be civil, Lucinda says. I just wish he had been honest with us.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Orindi Griemhild

Orindi had the displeasure of walking into a rather fraught situation. He knew that something was amiss, but lacked the ability to make it all better. Nevertheless, he tried. "Fault can always be found in the grudge-holder, but not always within the grudged-against." Orindi offers, not realizing he was implying that Lucinda was to blame and that Falias was blameless.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Njaves raises an eyebrow at the suggestion that 'two days is a long time to hold a grudge'. From her perspective, she would suggested that the opposite is true, but not wishing to disagree with Ingrid, she keeps her mouth shut. The other eyebrow rises slowly as Orindi says his piece, before the pair of them return to their usual position.

"You're a very philosophical fellow, aren't you?" She looks at the genasi with the faintest hint of a smile curling around the corners of her mouth.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-05-17 at 08:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Falias

Mertha shakes her head at the question, "No, and that's my point. He doesn't know anything about the Wellspring. Hardly anyone does, except Ingrid, and maybe the other priests and priestesses. I think it's daft to assume the priests are hiding something. Between the two of us, if word ever got 'round that Boss Adleth was havin' guild-affiliates spy on Ingrid and the temple, there'd be plenty of unhappy people with pitchforks, if you catch my drift." She pauses and her hands reach up to scratch both sides of her head, and her expression is one of a conflicted conscience. "But like I said, orders is orders, so I have to at least ask you to do it."

Lucinda, Njaves, and Orindi

As Lucinda declares that she will be civil, Ingrid nods, and quietly says, "Aye, that's probably for the best." Ingrid waves to Njaves and Orindi as they approach, and waits for Orindi to answer Njaves's question before asking, "So, did the Skraelings have anything useful to share with us?"
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-05-18 at 05:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Orindi Griemhild

"When you spend a decade isolated on a mountain, you tend to spend a lot of time alone with your thoughts." Orindi says, letting out a puff of pipe-smoke before turning to Spakona Ingrid.

"A couple of Skraelings scouting around. Apparently it was suspicious that they were doing so. Still, I think we're more than capable of handling the numbers he talked about."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Njaves comes up behind Orindi, politely inclining her head to Ingrid. "Orindi was the right of it, Spakona. H'dre told me that he had meet three Skraelings with red markings. They were not locals, and would not tell him their business. He thought there might be more, though, so it would be best to keep watch."

Looking around, she hitches her travelling pack more firmly around her shoulders, eyeballing the number of hours to sunset. "What else are we waiting on? If we wait much longer, we won't get far before sundown."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Aye, I'll be careful -Not that I suspect anythin' is hidden from us, but if anythin' I'll rather not be chased by religious zealots on me way back by doin' somethin' stupid." Falias then turns his head to peek through the corridor to see if Orindi and Njaves have returned. "I should head back, take care of yerself Mertha." Falias would then begin to turn his body to walk back to the group, not wanting to make them wait too much for him.

29. - Top - End - #89

We're waiting on our last member. Side note, any of you know him? Lucinda asks.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know of him, at the very least." Njaves sits down on a nearby crate to wait, looking over at Lucinda. "He's a blacksmith, or something. Why do you ask?"