New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Splitting ability and weapon crystals

Hello, hope everyone is doing well.

As the tittle suggest, would the arrows being split benefit from a weapon crystal bonus according to the rules?

DM told me no, at that moment and didn't feel like arguing since I wanted to proceed with campaign.

So Longbow with splitting and a crystal of lesser electricity.

Splitting: Any missile fired from a splitting weapon, or an arrow or bolt enchanted with the splitting ability, breaks into two identical missiles before striking the intended target.
    V-shaped engravings adorn a splitting weapon or splitting ammunition.
    The splitting ability of a ranged weapon (must be a bow, crossbow, arrow, or bolt) only functions if its wielder has the Precise Shot feat.
    Any arrow or bolt fired from a splitting weapon magically splits into two missiles in mid-flight. Both missiles are identical, sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile; for example, a +1 splitting arrow splits into two +1 arrows in mid-flight. Both missiles strike the same target. Make a separate attack roll for each missile using the same attack bonus.
    Aura/Caster Level

Crystals: An augment crystal is a small gem, crystal, or similar object
    that provides a magical effect when affi xed to a weapon, shield,
    or suit of armor (or any other magic item that grants an armor
    bonus to AC). Each item can hold a single augment crystal, but
    an attached crystal can be swapped for another one at any time.
    Attaching an augment crystal to (or removing it from) an item
    requires a move action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Effectively, each eligible item has a single “slot” that can
    be fi lled by any appropriate augment crystal. Each augment
    crystal’s Body Slot entry gives the appropriate item to which
    it can be attached.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Splitting ability and weapon crystals

By strict RAW, your DM is generally correct. Enhancements that bestow their abilities upon ammunition state this in their descriptions (see energy aura in the MIC or flaming in the DMG for examples). The weapon crystal would need to state the same.

That said, archery is pretty sad, so boo to the DM.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-04-25 at 11:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

One augment crystal specifically says it affects the user's next melee attack, but none of the rest do.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    By strict RAW, your DM is generally correct. Enhancements that bestow their abilities upon ammunition state this in their descriptions (see energy aura in the MIC or flaming in the DMG for examples). The weapon crystal would need to state the same.

That said, archery is pretty sad, so boo to the DM.
    Well if we are going with that ruling then weapon crystals would not function at all with bows then. Since to be able to deal the damage in the first place said crystal damage would have to be applied to the ammunition itself, after all that IS what is dealing the damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by reapersoulEater View Post
    Hello, hope everyone is doing well.

As the tittle suggest, would the arrows being split benefit from a weapon crystal bonus according to the rules?

DM told me no,
    Bad news: thread's over right here, nothing else you said matters.

That being said, there's ample precedent that a weapon crystal on a bow would imbue the ammunition, and the arrow doesn't split until after it leaves the bow.

As a DM, I'd allow it. Yours didn't, though.
    Last edited by DarkSoul; 2018-04-25 at 12:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    Bad news: thread's over right here, nothing else you said matters.
    Lol he is not a tyrant, I've been able to change his mind before with good reasoning offcourse.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well if we are going with that ruling then weapon crystals would not function at all with bows then. Since to be able to deal the damage in the first place said crystal damage would have to be applied to the ammunition itself, after all that IS what is dealing the damage.
    That is correct: weapon crystals don't by strict RAW. (Note, I'm saying strict; it doesn't explicitly say it so it doesn't happen)

If, however, you are playing that they do, then it should transfer over. Here is the relevant text from splitting:

Both missiles are identical, sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile; for example, a +1 splitting arrow splits into two +1 arrows in mid-flight.
    The arrows have everything that the original arrow had save for the splitting enhancement. That includes enhancement bonuses, other enhancements, spells, and modifiers applied by other items like weapon crystals.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I hope i'm not replying too late but my DM stated that the reason he doesn't allow it its because the crystal is considered a secondary magic enhancement, therefore not applicable. He said that if the bow had the +1 of shocking then it would be part of the split.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I hope i'm not replying too late but my DM stated that the reason he doesn't allow it its because the crystal is considered a secondary magic enhancement, therefore not applicable. He said that if the bow had the +1 of shocking then it would be part of the split.
    Ask him if any of the arrows would have the augment crystal enchantment? If at least one of them has it, then why wouldn't they all have it?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I hope i'm not replying too late but my DM stated that the reason he doesn't allow it its because the crystal is considered a secondary magic enhancement, therefore not applicable.
    There is no distinction in the rules between an enhancement and a "secondary magic enhancement." I don't think secondary enhancements are even a thing.