New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford at Night

After allowing herself a moment to acclimate with the changing scenery, and the sudden revelation of the Shadow's presence all around them, Kara takes a tentative step forward - towards the Falcon - and offers a low, reverent bow.

She should probably at least see if anyone knows about what this majestic Spirit may be, but the quick fire in her sparks and she offers it a wide grin.

In the First Tongue, she addresses the Falcon. "Greetings, noble Dihir. We are the Anchor Fangs, and have come to introduce ourselves to you!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I figure this is an appropriate roll. Benno, if I'm mistaken, I can roll something different to make a good first impression.

Presence 4 + Socialize 3

(7d10)[7][3][1][10][8][4][8](41)

I think that's 3 successes?

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-14 at 09:22 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon slicks quietly into the shadows, a few seconds later the hulking black furred Urshul form trotted out. The change had been silent, save for the popping and snapping of bones growing in, seemingly, deeply unnatural ways. Amber eyes shine from the shadows as he prowls from one dark spot to another toward the Locus.

He emerges from the Hisil with a burst, lunging at the surrounding swarm without intent to injury. As they hastily cleared the space around him he shook his fur violently, splattering the retreating spirits with ectoplasm.
    He watched the falcon come down with some trepidation, noting with some interest the net veil dangling down from it's wicked beak. It landed on the Locus, their only exit route, and he fought the urge to raise his hackles and bear his fangs. Instead he sent up a mighty howl. Echos of the First Tongue reverberated in the long piercing note; He announced their arrival, sang out a respectful greeting and spoke of a solemn duty and a sad loss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Falcon spirit bows its head in a rather noble gesture of acknowledgement to both Kara and Solomon. “Ah, so more Uratha have come”, the Falcon says in a booming voice in The First Tongue. It’s piercing gold eyes take in the six Uratha in front of it, and says, “You look younger than the last pack. I am King Sky Hunter. Have you come to try to return your laws on my hunting grounds? Do you have any idea what blight has fallen upon these lands.” The spirit’s beak, still dripping with ichor, turns up in a nasty grin.

Show
    So I don’t love the Doors mechanics of the 2E games, but I am going with the rules regarding Gathra, found on page 181-182. In essence, most spirits that have any power are unlikely to deal with or respect Uratha unless they can either be intimidated by physical force into submission, or through soft leverage known as Gathra. Simply speaking, this spirit is unlikely to be too helpful unless the Uratha are willing to treat with and do a favor for this spirit. I would suspect the Pack’s Ithauer (Blaze) would be most familiar with this.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-14 at 12:24 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon paws at the ground and snuffs loudly Not our laws. Hers. He trots forward, showing his flank slightly and swishing his tail authoritatively Greetings to you King Sky Hunter. He set his hindquarters down with a thump and yipped We have come to deal with the Blight.
    His mouth opens revealing a toothy grin and his ears flicked forward Before we return her laws, tell us of your law, the law you have held this place too.

Show
    This is how I imagine the First tongue works in wolf form. I'll stop if you disagree Benno.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

She had barely finished her greeting to the mighty Spirit that loomed before them when Solomon let loose his howl. The Cahalith's eyes widened in sudden shock as she felt a sudden rush of rage bubble up from deep within. It felt like it was pumping molten silver through her veins, and she felt bones begin to shift and crack and grind as the searing rage forced her onto her knee's and into the form of a savage predator: Urshul. Like the dire wolves of old, her Hishu sloughed away, leaving a mountain of lean, corded muscle covered in fur that matched her hair - whites and blondes and some darker edges along prominent tufts of fur.

Kara released a bellowing howl of her own that carried the strength of her encroaching Kuruth. Some logical part of her mind knew this could threaten their dealings with the Spirit - but her control was swiftly slipping away.

Still, she struggled to impose some control on herself. Some way of staving off what could come. The deep guilt that accompanied her ever since her First Change would only be compounded if she spoiled this for her Pack - or, even worse, injured someone she cared about.

And so...she struggled...muscles taut and ready to spring into the offensive, teeth bared and snarling as thick ropes of saliva slavered from her jaws.

Kara was on the edge...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps expecting darker, distinctly evil things, Juno was taken aback, stunned into silence by the interior of the Loci. Feeling herself a traveler lost in some ethereal aquarium, she mostly steps around in a half daze watching the denizens swim about in the air. She really has come a long way from home, and if she lives to any length into adulthood she'll always remember this one, fleeting moment of wonder in a world full of hateful shadows.

This moment however, comes to a sobering end as the group confronts King Sky Hunter. Juno is perfectly fine with Kara talking the talk, staying put in the corner shadow of a pillar. Until Kara wolfs out. This could have gone better, as her tiny form begins to swell. The clothes she borrowed no longer fit perfectly, as corded muscle stretches out from pants legs and her hoodie's arms are pulled taught, the outerwear pulling upward to leave half of her iron cast abs bare. Silver Vs of fur begin sprouting from the nape of her neck, and flashes of the same silver cut across the tight surface of her hair braid; no doubt the rest of her gets a little hairy. She likes her Dalu form, in spite of that.

With a growl at the tip of her tongue, Juno slides from the shadow to get into a good position to flank, or even body check Kara, her hand reaching back under her ill fitting garb to brush against the blunt pommel of her knife. A Glock knife, to be precise. Perhaps a bit small now in her dire grasp, but Juno kept the knife she pinched from father's tool shed because of his own accord her her limited experience, Glock made very durable knives. Man made steel was only worth a damn in this business if it could withstand abuse not fit for humankind. She wouldn't dare think of stabbing her packmate, but a blow to the temple with the pommel knob may be necessary to reign Kara in...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Iago's eyes light up, allowing himself a bit of a slip as he sees the small spirits flee from their path. His darker urges smile contently as he shakes the ectoplasm off himself, taking a quick scan of the area. The possibilities that this brought... he remembered the first time he crossed over and the true wonder he had finally felt, when all the scattered pieces had finally fitting in place... And people still had the dare to dismiss Jung so easily...

Kara dashed forward to greet, and he focused on the spirit while keeping the necessary respect. He was still fairly fresh on the topic, but he had certainly heard a bit of how humans were able to even affect the nature of nature of spirits. He eyed the ephemeral flesh-net growing from King Sky Hunter. A natural occurrence? or a sign of anoth-

Someone howled. "What. Who?..." Solomon? recall later. This was bad. Kara had tried to pass it off as nothing, but now...

Iago dashed forward, dismissing hir changes to dalu form. She was shifting and howling already. Juno and Bear were moving. Good? No. Infighting. The mark of his auspice glows as he recklessly wraps his arm around Kara's widening back, centering hirself again.

"No. Defuse this, Kara. it's okay, we're all here. Follow my voice." Iago reassures her. "Come back to the light. You're not going to let yourself get shaken that easily, are you?"

(Using Darkness into Light on Kara to force her out of Death rage)
    Last edited by Madmal; 2018-05-14 at 11:24 PM.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze has been about to step forward to treat with Sky Hunter, but something had set Kara off.

seriously Solomon, what the hell, man,” he thought.

He maneuvered around to get in front of her.

“Easy there,” he said, trying to be as reassuring as possible, “you can push this back.”

Spoiler
    Show
    just trying to assist the others
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-15 at 03:10 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara can feel her rage slipping away as Iago helps pull her back from Kuruth.

As this all happens, the Falcon Spirit gives a shrill cawing laugh. “What mighty hunters you must be! It looks like your lot will last even shorter than the last Flesh-Spirits.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon turns and shifts back to Hishu, a writhing mass of twisting flesh and snapping reshaping bones. He stands before Kara with sick grey skin and eyes brimming with regret and hurt. 'Kara I...'he chokes on the sorrow and guilt knotting his throat. Solo knew perfectly well the damage the Death Rage could cause, the damage he had almost caused. He knew the awakening covered in unknown blood, the fumbling in the dark for memories mostly forgotten yet terrible in nature, the torture of putting together the jigsaw pieces to learn whose lives you had destroyed.
    I did that. Me.
    Tears start to flow, shining silver in the moonlight 'I am so sorry.' Suddenly he lunges at her, Kara, still shaken, had no chance to avoid his embrace. He locks her in a hug, holding her so tight it was as if he would never see her again, or perhaps feared losing her. 'I'm sorry.' His tears stain her cheek and collar. The others were mildly astonished by this. Solomon was not an emotional man, certainly they had never seen a single tear of his before, let alone the rivers beyond counting now unleashed. Nor was he a tactile man, he tolerated the affections of others with good grace, but they had never seen him initiate a hug before, nor cling to someone so fiercely. 'I'll never forget again. Never'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2018-05-15 at 08:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Letting go of her knife, Juno forgets all about Kara and approaches the spectral eagle with barely constrained defiance.

"We may be entertainers to you and other 'flesh spirits' in some ways, but when the masks come off we have a purpose and a duty to perform." her deeper voice is flint. Even in dalu form she's only barely breaking six feet, not much to fear compared to Bear or those in wolf forms, but she's still mighty brave standing up to the falcon this way, practically within reach of his talons. Juno figures this is the only way to start earning his respect even if she may be acting dangerously foolish.

"We came here seeking to understand your laws and discover what this very blight is of which you speak. What has happened here, King Sky Hunter?"

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

Okay... gonna take a shot in the dark here and assume persuasion and... oh hell, Manip/Composure/Presence are all the same score, but I'm going with presence:4d10 (1d10)[4](1d10)[8](1d10)[10](1d10)[7]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The mighty Falcon spirit puffs out its chest and extends its massive wingspan, stretching it’s hooked and serrated beak towards Juno. “Your Father Wolf passed long ago, and your duty is self imposed,” King Sky Hunter caws, “the last Pack of Uratha in this city were tunneled under and devoured by the Vermin abominations, and you can’t even keep yourselves together. Why would I waste my time treating with you!!!

The Falcon Spirit’s eyes turn narrow and evil, and it’s beak continues to drip with ectoplasmic blood.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara shuddered bodily as the rage drained away like flotsam after a good rain. Her Urshul form remained for the moment, and the great beast whimpered somewhat pathetically.
    When Solomon wrapped her in a hug, she nuzzled her muzzle into him and allowed herself to be enveloped in the comfort of it all.
    After a moment, the Cahalith allowed herself to shift back to Hishu and sighed wearily - feeling a bit drained from the ordeal.

"It's okay, Solomon. We all make mistakes. Y'know....makes us...human."

Still seated, she glanced up at the rest of her Pack sheepishly. "Thanks, Iago. Everyone. and then she looked up at the great spirit. "My apologies. Luna's gifts trouble me more than most."

She stayed upon the ground for a while longer, content to allow her Pack to deal with the Spirit. She rubbed a hand along Solomon's back, still holding him close.

For now, she would listen...and hope....

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Alright, no permanent harm done, alls well that ends well,” Blaze said, “so let’s everyone just dial it down a notch.. and we can go talk to the giant falcon.”

Spoiler
    Show
    fyi only I should be able to say whether my character is astonished, and whether it’s mild or severe. just a minor thing.

He put his hand on Juno’s shoulder.

“Great sky hunter, my name is Blaze, and the crescent moon is my calling,” he said, “we seek your knowledge, knowledge of what else may be endangering this land in addition to the rat spirits, and your blessing for passage through the Gauntlet. For this i suggest a mutually beneficial arrangement. A Gathra has been sufficient in other lands when a new Pack arrives. Such payment can make it worth your time. Will you treat with us?”

Spoiler
    Show
    fyi I don’t know wtf I’m doing so any ooc advice is appreciated
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-05-15 at 09:14 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    TC, that was perfect. Exactly how it’s supposed to work, from proclaiming your Auspice to offering deference to offfering the Gathra.

The spirit retracts its wings, and relaxes, shaking out its ruffled feathers before responding, “Ah, an Uratha with some manners. What a blessing.” The spirit raises one leg and lowers its head in a mock bow, “I am called King Sky Hunter and I represent the avian spirits of this domain. If your lot could prove your worth, I would be much obliged to assist you in your mission. The Beshilu have brought a blight to this land that is killing my people. Many of the flesh of my family are land hunters that feed off of the field mice and vermin. But the Plague Rats have disrupted the natural order of our world. It is no longer safe for my kind to feed, and thus the flesh and spirit birds are dying. Many of my kind have turned to Magath in an attempt to prevent starvation. The Beshilu are our shared enemy and because of this I will accept a Gathra from you and your pack.

King Sky Hunter swoops off of the large stone pillar to land in front of Blaze. The falcon spirit stands about a foot taller than the Uratha, and it brings its massive beaked head down to stare Blaze in the eyes, “I recognize that I am hunting on what is traditionally Uratha ground. I will not contest your right to this sacred space. But, if you will allow me continued hunting right of these grounds and access to this Locus as your Gathra, I will treat with you.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear speaks for the first time since crossing the gauntlet, standing before the spirit in a manner he hopes conveys both his determination and his respect for the spirit. "We will have extensive need of the locus' power in hunting the Beshilu. Would you be mindful of that need when deciding what to take for yourself?"

If the spirit answers in the affirmative, he will look to the others and nod. This deal seems to be a good move from his perspective
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

King Sky Hunter turns its head sideways on its long neck, to peer at Bear quizzically. It says in it’s strange booming First Tongue, “If this land is well maintained, and the appropriate prey are plentiful I and my ilk will have no need for the Essence provided by the locus.” The falcon spirit puffs out its golden brown feathers proudly and adds, “I am the greatest hunter in these lands after all. The Locus is simply for assurances should greater famine befall these lands.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-15 at 01:33 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara finally disentangled herself from Solomon, and brushed herself off unconsciously as she rose - a bit unsteadily - to her feet.
    She eyed Sky King Hunter as the bargain was negotiated, and allowed herself a small huff of satisfaction in knowing that her loss of control wouldn't impede her Pack in doing it's duty.

Not for the first time did she silently curse Luna for the hold She had on Kara. For as many gifts as she gave, she pressed her Will further upon the young Cahalith. Destiny was a b*tch.

Kara nodded to Bear and Blaze and the others, and spoke wwith an uncharacteristically soft voice.
    "It sounds like a fair exchange to me...I would consent."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon would have stepped forward to speak but Kara's hand at his back is too much a comfort to ignore. Although the tears have stopped now their silver trace remains trailing down his cheeks. He has not wiped them away, they were his mark of shame and should remain until they dried in the cold night air. They would not, for this was the Hisil and their symbolic meaning took on a life of their own. A Spirit Brand of sorts, a promise made.
    'I think we are in agreement. King Sky Hunter, you are indeed well named, a great hunter. Was it you who has kept the Rat-Hosts from this place?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Rat Hosts were controllable before their migration”, the falcon spirit says, appearing to shrink and deflate slightly. The spirit’s feathers seem less glossy all of a sudden. “But that has all changed, and now I and my ilk have been pushed to the small territory they do not occupy.

It’s head rising, King Sky Hunter addresses the entire pack and says, “I trust you Uratha will hold to your word. I wish you safety in the upcoming weeks. Caution is the virtue that will keep you wolves alive. I will see you again.

Without allowing further questioning, or discussion, the mighty falcon spirit screeches and shoots like a bullet into the sky.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sh*t...." Kara chuckled softly as she watched the great spirit streak off into the Shadow. "That went well."

She shuffled a little, looking at the rest of her Pack a bit meekly; shoulders slumped and arms resting across her stomach in a very closed-off fashion.

"I'm sorry I lost control. Thanks for pulling me back..."

Kara turned her blue eyes to the warehouse, and frowned a bit.

"We've still got to worry about the big boat-spirit inside there. Maybe...maybe I should wait outside...."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

'Don't be stupid Kara, that was my fault. Not yours. I ****ed up bigtime... We'll talk about it later. Come on, let's go see the ship spirit.'
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear gives Kara a big hug, "Dont be like that, we have all had that brush with madness. We're in this together, never forget that."

"Now, let us go see the other great spirit on the premises. I am quite interested in their tale."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-05-16 at 08:54 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Huh, that went easier than expected,” Blaze mused.

He followed the others to the boat spirit.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Returning to the Shipyard in the Shadow, the building is a whirl of glowing blue lights, but again is devoid of really any spirit activity. The main yard is a rocky pier, and where in the flesh there was cement floor, in the Shadow there is roiling living water. The tall Spirit Ship sits in the middle of this roofless building, triple masts projecting high into the sky. The vessel appears as a slightly rusted, very unkept epitome of the mighty Whaling ships of the 1800s. From it’s fore sits an organic-mechanical harpoon gun, and below it the mighty fisherman figurehead, who watches the Uratha approach with giddy excitement. “Welcome,” he says, storing his harpoon to the side, and giving the pack a salute with his wooden hand.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear returns the Salute and says, "Greetings great spirit. We are the Anchor Fangs. Might we have the honor of knowing your name?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pequod sir,” replies the Boat Spirit in a voice that echos through the boat house.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-05-16 at 12:21 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara was a bit less lively than normal now, though she was going to do her duty for the Pack.

When the Boat-spirit introduced itself, she wracked her memory to see if there was some connection she could make. Whether the name stuck out at her as something from a story, or perhaps....perhaps even history?

"Great Spirit, I am the Cahalith story-teller of the Anchor Fangs. My name is Kara. How long have you called this place home?"

Show

Rolling Intelligence 2 + Academics 1 to see if she's heard the name of the Spirit from any more...conventional....sources.

(3d10)[6][9][3](18)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Greetings Cahalith,” the Ship Spirit responds, “I do not know. I have existed for as long as I have existed, perhaps for all eternity, though I do not remember the time before the great schism, or Father Wolf.

Show
    Yes, Kara recognizes what you probably recognized, that Pequod was the name of Captain Ahab’s ship and the main setting for Moby ****. This ship literally represents the conceptual epitome of the Whaling ship in the minds of the New Bedford residents.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Solomon steps forward and bows slightly at the waist 'Greetings Pequod, great spirit. I am Solomon, Irraka of the Anchor Fangs and a damned fool.
    'We are searching for the former totem of the Harbour Fangs, the Uratha that were here before us. I believe this was their sigil.'
    Solomon tosses a rock onto the floor, the symbol Blaze had discovered is carved in claw and stone.
    Spoiler
    Show