New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Death Battle IV: The Source Material Loses

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah that was an interesting twist, though I had heard about the avatar thing before. Though I guess to be more accurate none of his versions are actually gods, they are all like a single finger of the true darkseid poking through into various realities, or a shadow. Just a fragment of his true might (Which still punch on supermans tier) It honestly reminded me of a sort of retcon to an old mmo I played where we fought gods and killed them on raids and such then later on in future expansions we learned "Of course you didnt kill a god you simpleton, did you really think all it takes to kill a god is a dozen +3 sword of fire? Those were their avatars. Now you are breaching the true planes of the gods. Good luck, you're gonna need it."
    Would that be Everquest by chance? Because I remember that raid. Good times.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #842
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

I think 4th and 5th dimensional beings are in it for god status. If Darkseid is an essential aspect of the universe or whatever, he is surely a god by any non monotheist definition.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh, hey, it's that time of the week again? Time flies...

So with the recent success of Spiderverse, maybe we will get something fancy like a Spider(wo)men battle Royale. But then they don't do team battles often. Maybe we'll instead get something related to video games, like some SSB picks they haven't used yet.
    DeathBattle doesn’t do battle royals. There’s DBX though.

I believe Spider-gwen wins it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    I think 4th and 5th dimensional beings are in it for god status. If Darkseid is an essential aspect of the universe or whatever, he is surely a god by any non monotheist definition.
    I don’t think it’s useful to label or define “god” for DeathBattle. You can look at DC or Marvel canon to see if anything useful comes from that label there. For Darkseid that being a “new god” means his real body is this giant thing in a universe that is normally in accessible to residents.

5th dimensional imps like Mxylptlwhatever and Batmite etc are clearly not gods by DC label. They also get beaten all the time.

“Mortal” superheroes like Superman, Doctor Strange, Phoenix, The Flash, not to mention villains like Magneto have at times acquired so much power as to be “god like” or even “god killers.” Meanwhile Thor, Ares etc get that label of “god” but don’t seem anymore powerful than the people surrounding him.

Then there’s Beerus, who I don’t think I can compare to anyone else without triggering old arguments.

“Gods” are all over the map in terms of power and don’t necessarily share attributes like immortality, power over certain natural phrnomeona, reasonability over some aspect of the universe, identity with fundamental forces... that sort of things.

So we are left with a name that’s lost all meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    DeathBattle doesn’t do battle royals. There’s DBX though.

[...]

I don’t think it’s useful to label or define “god” for DeathBattle.
    Huh? Pretty sure they did the Pokémon starter battle, though three is maybe a little low number for a Royale. But didn't they also do a turtles free for all? And I feel like something else I can't remember now.

God titles as power measurement are always lacking because there is no standard for what a god is. Some stories can't keep it straight within their own story...
    But personally, I guess Darkseid is (pretty close to) a god by many definitions.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #845
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Would that be Everquest by chance? Because I remember that raid. Good times.
    Heh yep. At least the later expansions made a bit more sense. "Ok, you have been obliterating avatars, slaughtering the most powerful mortal and immortal creatures on your planes, NOW you can face actual gods and give it your best shot!" In WoW they did a decent job of mostly avoiding the early god killing "Ok, this final raid boss for vanilla? Its the freaking EYE of an old God. Thats it. Good luck!" The power creep is still real but they clearly were holding back from blowing all their biggest names as raid bosses. Like, I could see it eventually happening, we get an old god expansion where all the nonstop interdimensional invasions and high tier catastrophes going on have awoken the old gods from their slumber. Not just a single body part, but the whole deal. Now we heroes have to locate their prisons and kill them before they can escape and destroy everything. Of course the cracks in their cells means they can still interact with the world to a limited extent. And its limited in that they cant one shot azeroth yet, so enjoy fighting through whatever insanity they create to get to them. But that is likely still some time away. We have barely managed to defeat the burning legion and its generals yet, forget about sargeras at full strength.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of video game power creep...you got to wonder where they are going to go after Diablo 3.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

When was the last time they did a battle royale on death battle proper?

9. - Top - End - #849

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Speaking of video game power creep...you got to wonder where they are going to go after Diablo 3.
    Im voting the spirit of the earth, corrupted by the evil unleashed by the prime evil and/or humanity as a whole, has created avatars to cleanse the planet of the disease of humanity, etc etc etc. After breaking the world stone, the sheer corruption of the prime evil, and just how awful the world becomes over the course of the games, it would make sense that the world itself fights back. And make even more sense that it would be a corruption of its power. So like an Avatar of Growth is the boss of act 1. Well because of the evil that "growth" is more cancerous. Its a horrible tumorous monster out to engulf the world in its creeping horror.

Another option could be going full god/devil. Up till now we have been fighting against angels and personifications of sin, its time to move up the ranks. This is OUR world, and the nephalim are tired of it being used as the battleground of both sides. It starts out as us against the forces of hell. The Devil has opened the gates and poured forth his armies in a final attempt to destroy heaven. For whatever reason he has to go through earth to get there and vice versa, its why earth is the battleground between them. We eventually march into hell, face down the devil, who looks like a living patch of darkness and shadow rather than a real form, kill him, and leave. When we get back to earth tyreal shows up with a dire warning, the forces of heaven are about to go on the march to go finish off hell and they are going to destroy earth as a threat to its power as they were able to do what heaven could not. Before he can explain all of it he is pulled away by an irresistible force (God). Upon taking a portal to heaven we are told to suck it up, its going to happen whether we like it or not, and thus the war in heaven takes place. In the end we confront "God" who is basically a vaguely humanoid being of light.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #850
    Banned

I was going to say that the whole "fighting god" thing has been beaten to death by other games...but then I remembered we're talking about Blizzard. Taking other people's ideas and tropes and pretending they're original ideas is what they do best, so I could see them going that way.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I was going to say that the whole "fighting god" thing has been beaten to death by other games...but then I remembered we're talking about Blizzard. Taking other people's ideas and tropes and pretending they're original ideas is what they do best, so I could see them going that way.
    The diablo universe literally began with the "big good" and "big evil" beings killing each other. The High Heavens and Burning Hells are literally made out of their corpses.

Prime Evil diablo is as close to that as they could feasibly get without completely re-writing the entire lore.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

The diablo universe literally began with the "big good" and "big evil" beings killing each other. The High Heavens and Burning Hells are literally made out of their corpses.

Prime Evil diablo is as close to that as they could feasibly get without completely re-writing the entire lore.
    Given what a cluster**** the plot of 3 was, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #853

Ah see I didnt know that. Meh, it can still work. These are nigh omnipotent beings, even death isnt permanent to them. They are awakening and reclaiming their selves that have achieved sentience after they originally died. The war is about to restart and our realm is caught in the middle. Its up to the nephalim to make sure they stay dead this time. Toss in something new, let us choose which faction to go after first, which effects how earth looks when we get back, maybe even what skills we learn as we level up. Again, Tyreal warns us as iirc he stayed mortal but on the angel council right? So he wouldnt be effected as much by heaven waking up and trying to sublimate its parts. Could even introduce a similar one for the demonic side to give us that initial choice. Neither side wants to be reabsorbed after all. And going after one side first justifies the other side being harder as that realm had longer to reassert control.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So we have the contestants for the next battle:

Aquaman vs Namor. Biggest surprise there being that they didn't do that one yet, I guess.

I honestly don't know who'd win of those two. Gut feeling says Aquaman because he has a magic trident and Namor does not, but I just don't know these two well enough to make an informed call.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post

Aquaman vs Namor. Biggest surprise there being that they didn't do that one yet, I guess.

I honestly don't know who'd win of those two. Gut feeling says Aquaman because he has a magic trident and Namor does not, but I just don't know these two well enough to make an informed call.
    in terms of raw power Namor, But Aquaman is one of the most powerful Telepaths in DC as well as has acess to a lot of magic.

Prep time could make the fighting crazy since they can both pull out some world/reality shattering items from their kingdoms.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Namor can fly, so that may be one of the deciding factors.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Namor can fly, so that may be one of the deciding factors.
    Flight's helpful but Arthur's actually the one with the Advantage if they get into a Range battle.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2019-01-19 at 06:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Didn't namor literally tank a nuke in one of wolverine's backstories?

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

I heard somewhere at some point someone said Arthur is as strong as Clark, which would look bad for Namor. (?) But I don't really care either way in this one... I hardly know Namor and Arthur only slightly better. But my gut says Arthur, which might be very wrong.
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I heard somewhere at some point someone said Arthur is as strong as Clark, which would look bad for Namor. (?) But I don't really care either way in this one... I hardly know Namor and Arthur only slightly better. But my gut says Arthur, which might be very wrong.
    Arthur's Strong, but Not up to the level of Kryptonians. He's not lifting any planets. Namor's far superior in Strength.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Troll in the Playground

So I remember a while back they started trying to boost Aquaman’s public perception after all the jokes about him. I wonder if hidden in that time period isn’t some over the top fact that will give this to him outright. Other then that I think Namor might have an edge.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post

If they use Namor's recent depictions in the current Avengers, Defenders, and Invaders runs, then Namor has planet-wide hydrokensisis on both the personal and Macrolevel.

Where the hell it came from has yet to be explained, though considering he's a Mutant in addition to being half-Atlantean(where all of his non-atlantean standard powers come from), it could be a Secondary Mutation.

On the other hand, Namor also has severe untreated PTSD from what happened in WWII and this is apparently in part responsible for his constant slipping in terms of character development. That psychological frailty could cost him.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't there a crossover where Aquaman and Namor both tried to defeat each other by summoning fish for aid, but they all sided with Aquaman because Namor is an *******?

24. - Top - End - #864

ITS TIME FOR A DEATH BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Spoiler: Waterboy versus waterboy..... FIGHT!
    Show
    Geez, as usual it comes down to two main factors, raw power or speed. Aquaman was given an absurd level of raw power and durability for holding off a continent shattering feat while namor who held up a freaking island is still a billion times weaker. I didnt see the end coming too be honest though, and they didnt really show the sheer gap between them until the AAR.

Spoiler: Next Time!
    Show
    Its Mega Man versus Mega Man versus mega Man versus Mega Man. My money is on astro boy.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

As I said, I didn't have any stakes in the recent DB and the fight was... ok. So yeah. It happened.

I am plenty stoked for next time. I wonder how .exe will contribute, though...
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #866

BeforeI watch the video: Does the fact that Namor currently has planet wide Macro-Hydrokinesis play into the fight at all?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    BeforeI watch the video: Does the fact that Namor currently has planet wide Macro-Hydrokinesis play into the fight at all?
    Not really. The ability to control water is mentioned but the scale isn't.

Spoiler: Aquaman vs Namor
    Show
    So once again the DC equivalent is more powerful. Color me unsurprised.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #868

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Not really. The ability to control water is mentioned but the scale isn't.

Spoiler: Aquaman vs Namor
    Show
    So once again the DC equivalent is more powerful. Color me unsurprised.
    Yeah I dont even think it comes up in the fight except as pillars of water and I think even then thats mainly trident powers. And meh, dc is just going to always be stronger i guess, they just tend to rely on a higher tier of power for some reason. At this point im pretty sure the shorter list is dc characters that CANT directly blow up a continent or more.

29. - Top - End - #869

Spoiler
    Show
    Namor in a recent Avengers issue drowned several men by filling their prison cells with water flow from their toilets from halfway across the planet.

In Defenders #1, Namor subjugated a city of rebellious Atlanteans by moving hundreds of thousands of gallons of water asside, causing the atlanteans in question to fall to th ground and begin to air drown. This was a casual effort for Namor.

This is recent stuff, so if there's a long enough lead time I can accept passing it by, but this is the kind of thing that should be considered... Especially since they do, in fact, show pages from the recent Avengers, Defenders, and Invaders runs so they damn well should have known about it.

So yeah, this whole fight was basically useless because they flat out ignored Namor's strongest ability.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Namor in a recent Avengers issue drowned several men by filling their prison cells with water flow from their toilets from halfway across the planet.

In Defenders #1, Namor subjugated a city of rebellious Atlanteans by moving hundreds of thousands of gallons of water asside, causing the atlanteans in question to fall to th ground and begin to air drown. This was a casual effort for Namor.

This is recent stuff, so if there's a long enough lead time I can accept passing it by, but this is the kind of thing that should be considered... Especially since they do, in fact, show pages from the recent Avengers, Defenders, and Invaders runs so they damn well should have known about it.

So yeah, this whole fight was basically useless because they flat out ignored Namor's strongest ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would it make a difference? Seriously, Aquaman can breath underwater and has his own hydrokinesis. The only way it would matter if he could bring more force then he could in person.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.