New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1119 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No, we just don't know. "Don't know" doesn't mean "both are true until we know." It means "one is true, one is false, and we don't know which is which."

I am become Peelee, destroyer of common internet sayings.
    Only if you think the Giant has made a final, irrevocable decision regarding the status of said halfling rogue. If, as I suspect, the Giant makes a lot of the details of this story up as he goes along, then Serini may appear as a living creature if he needs her; or, she may appear as a dead creature if he needs that. And he may not discover that he needs a live / dead Serini until much later in the story. It's not necessarily true that the Giant has decided what Serini's status is, but hasn't told us (status is determined but unknown).

Therefore, her status must be treated as indeterminate until observed, exactly and precisely like Schrodinger's cat, and like the quantum particles which were the underlying basis for said fictional feline.

Adjusts pedantic mortarboard to rakish angle
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No, we just don't know. "Don't know" doesn't mean "both are true until we know." It means "one is true, one is false, and we don't know which is which.
    Yes. The Giant has, hopefully, made his mind about Serini's survival long ago and his is the only knowledge that counts in this case.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Only if you think the Giant has made a final, irrevocable decision regarding the status of said halfling rogue. If, as I suspect, the Giant makes a lot of the details of this story up as he goes along, then Serini may appear as a living creature if he needs her; or, she may appear as a dead creature if he needs that. And he may not discover that he needs a live / dead Serini until much later in the story. It's not necessarily true that the Giant has decided what Serini's status is, but hasn't told us (status is determined but unknown).

Therefore, her status must be treated as indeterminate until observed, exactly and precisely like Schrodinger's cat, and like the quantum particles which were the underlying basis for said fictional feline.
    Given that the status of Girard was established a book in advance, if not more, outside of our knowledge, I suspect that the status of Serini is equally already established. The fate of the Scribblers is unlikely to be a side detail that Rich has pushed back to when needed - they are too crucial to the plot at large to be unestablished.

Now, there are cases (see: Rowling) where a character that was planned to be dead or alive must have their status reversed as the actual writing takes place, but that's just a status change, not a indeterminate status.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

Adjusts pedantic mortarboard to rakish angle
    You know the Schrodinger's Cat argument ended with "both dead and alive at the same time, which is clearly ridiculous and why we should reject the interpretation," right?

Her status is unknown. If the author doesn't know it, it's still unknown. It's not both at the same time.

Pedantic-off! Copenhagen interpretation aside, the entire reason quantum mechanics exists is because things react differently at the quantum level than at the macro level. So even if Copenhagen is correct for quantum particles, it's still wrong for the cat, which Schrodinger famously showed
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-07 at 11:43 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    See, Hilgya, you only need to cover one of Kudzu's eyes. That way, he can have a neat eyepatch and still be able to see.
    Or she doesn't need to cover any of Kudzu's eyes at all, according to the thread “Is camera flash actually harmful to infants or newborns?” on Photography Stack Exchange.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Or she doesn't need to cover any of Kudzu's eyes at all, according to the thread “Is camera flash actually harmful to infants or newborns?” on Photography Stack Exchange.
    I think it's more to keep him from seeing the horrific violence of people being melted by Divine Fire than the light itself.

Or at least that's the standard parenting trope.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    ...Which suggests that Oona is there to slow down/mislead Xykon?
    1. Any != All
    2. Even if she's on Serini's payroll, she might have decided to help Redcloak anyways. Her loyalty to goblinkind might be stronger than her loyalty to Serini, or she might not realize the danger Xykon puts the gate in. (#1 is more convincing, but #2 is still worth mentioning.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.