New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1119 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    66 years ago as of Paladin Blues, which was a bit less than 1 year before the present. Rounding off, about 67 years ago.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html
    Halflings live about 50% longer than humans per SRD. Sereni could expect to live to be 100 + 5d20, or 155, assuming that she didn't die as a consequence of routinely being around some of the most dangerous monsters in the world.

If the story requires her, she's still alive.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Since Dorukan didn't die of old age, there is no particular reason to think Serini did either. She might have, but it is far from a certainty.

GW
    If anything killed her, it seems more likely it would have been Xykon rather than natural causes. He isn't really the type to steal something like the diary and just sneak out.
    Last edited by TRH; 2018-05-01 at 02:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    If anything killed her, it seems more likely it would have been Xykon rather than natural causes. He isn't really the type to steal something like the diary and just sneak out.
    See also: Fyron's crown.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    The fact of Mass Cure Light Wounds proves that Elan is at least Bard13. It seems like a fair guess that he is Bard14/Dash1 with a caster level 14.
    He's definitely at least Bard 14, with an outside chance of 15.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lcavalheiro View Post
    Thanks a lot
    All in a Day's work.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Yeah but its never stated it seems he found her journal but there is never any mention of her being killed for it. I would love to see what the banter between her and belkar would be like.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valynie View Post
    I knew Hilgya was still carrying the flame for Durkon just not that way :)
    *golf clap*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Halflings live about 50% longer than humans per SRD. Sereni could expect to live to be 100 + 5d20, or 155, assuming that she didn't die as a consequence of routinely being around some of the most dangerous monsters in the world. If the story requires her, she's still alive.
    She's the Act End Boss for Kraagor's Tomb. And I suspect that she'll have a few minions assisting her ... hmm, I need to look up in the SRD about rings of monster control ... Hmm, maybe wands of Monster Summoning IV, rods of rulership ... hmmm... thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurulian View Post
    I would love to see what the banter between her (Sereni) and belkar would be like.
    That would be a fun thing, and I think Rich could make that ROFLworthy and deep at the same time.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-05-01 at 04:14 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Assuming she wasn't already middle aged at the time, she could fairly plausibly still be alive with a halfling's lifespan, though she would certainly have retired.
    Considering she drew hearts around the head of the cool edgy rebel of the group in her diary, I will take my chances and bet that she wasn't middle aged when Soon's wife died.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Considering she drew hearts around the head of the cool edgy rebel of the group in her diary, I will take my chances and bet that she wasn't middle aged when Soon's wife died.
    As a sorcerer, Gerard would have the most charisma of the group by far. Only Soon and Serini would remotely have reason to compete with him, and Soon as a paladin would be too MAD to be able to do so. Its quite possible she finds him attractive because of that, and not specifically because he's "edgy" or "cool".

Not that I think she was remotely close to middle age, but there are legitimate reasons to be enamored with a sorcerer or bard.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #160

SamuraiGuy

As a sorcerer, Gerard would have the most charisma of the group by far. Only Soon and Serini would remotely have reason to compete with him, and Soon as a paladin would be too MAD to be able to do so. Its quite possible she finds him attractive because of that, and not specifically because he's "edgy" or "cool".

Not that I think she was remotely close to middle age, but there are legitimate reasons to be enamored with a sorcerer or bard.
    I think the point is that drawing hearts is "teen" behavior, while an older woman might show more restraint.
    At any rate, if she was anything less than 134 she's plausibly still alive (100 + 5d20 years maximum).

Serini is both alive and dead until we discover what the Giant's story requires. She's Schrodinger's hobbit.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Is Serini still alive? I'm pretty sure the Order of the Scribble's adventures were close to a century before the Order of the Stick came together, and while elves can live that long, I'm not sure halflings can.
    As others have outlined, she could still be alive, although Vaarsuvius being unable to send to her + how unlikely it is that Xykon would take her diary without killing her, if killing her was an option for him, are not good indicators for her health.

The point, I think, is more that Serini expresses that infatuation more as a teenager would than as an adult might, at least in what we've seen.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I think the point is that drawing hearts is "teen" behavior, while an older woman might show more restraint.
    At any rate, if she was anything less than 134 she's plausibly still alive (100 + 5d20 years maximum).

Serini is both alive and dead until we discover what the Giant's story requires. She's Schrodinger's hobbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    The point, I think, is more that Serini expresses that infatuation more as a teenager would than as an adult might, at least in what we've seen.
    Yes. Blablabla.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #163

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thurulian View Post
    Yeah but its never stated it seems he found her journal but there is never any mention of her being killed for it. I would love to see what the banter between her and belkar would be like.
    There's a precedent that being the owner of an object desired by Xyklon would harm your life expectancy, and stronger precedent says that if Xyklon kills you to get the object he desires, probably he won't remember doing that.
    Seems like Stickverse is at same time defying and validating Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus propositions 1. and 1.1. Also, it weirdly confirms proposition 6.44...

14. - Top - End - #164

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    As others have outlined, she could still be alive, although Vaarsuvius being unable to send to her + how unlikely it is that Xykon would take her diary without killing her, if killing her was an option for him, are not good indicators for her health.

I don't know. Even adult women can be silly when infatuated, and looks like Stickverse doesn't forbid or prevent inter-species romance, so it might be sincere from her. But having something Xyklon wants can cut your life short indeed, so...
    Seems like Stickverse is at same time defying and validating Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus propositions 1. and 1.1. Also, it weirdly confirms proposition 6.44...

15. - Top - End - #165

SamuraiGuy

OTOH, if anyone could hide when they saw Xykon coming, it would be an epic-level rogue.

I retain the opinion that no one should be surprised by any option chosen by the Giant; alive, alive but doesn't appear, dead and death is mentioned, or dead and death is not mentioned.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

OTOH, if anyone could hide when they saw Xykon coming, it would be an epic-level rogue.

I retain the opinion that no one should be surprised by any option chosen by the Giant; alive, alive but doesn't appear, dead and death is mentioned, or dead and death is not mentioned.
    Some weird indeterminate state. . .

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Halflings live about 50% longer than humans per SRD.
    That's about 40-60% longer than I expected. Man, humans really got the short end of the lifespan stick, didn't they? It seems like lifespan in D&D is inherently related to morality; the idealized demihumans all live significantly longer than humans do (with elves naturally living the longest), the demonized demihumans all live shorter lives, and humans (with their unavoidable mix of good and bad that players will be intimately familiar with) are in the middle, along with most races that aren't really idealized or demonized.
    I think that's a another thing cribbed from Tolkien; IIRC, there was even stratification within elvenkind, with the "best" elves (closest to their original homeland and whatnot) living longer.

Infatuation based on appearance or force of personality is not a terribly mature trait. (I mean, infatuation in general isn't, but Cha-based infatuation even less so.) It's not absolute, but it's certainly a probabilistic indicator...especially when combined with the hearts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Serin-dinger's rogue?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I think that's a another thing cribbed from Tolkien; IIRC, there was even stratification within elvenkind, with the "best" elves (closest to their original homeland and whatnot) living longer.
    Uh no. Elves live forever in Tolkien's Legendarium, they may "fade away" whatever that means but they never die, ever. Dwarves do live longer than human (Thorin is almost 200 by the Hobbit and explicitly very old while it is said that Dain went to (and died in) battle despite his advanced age (230-50, I think). And Ents lifespans are just ridiculous.

It might even be true of Orcs too (the immortality I mean) if one takes Shagrat's comment on the Old Days as something he personnally witnessed (2000 years prior).
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: OOTS #1119 - The Discussion Thread

Cure Light Wounds maximizes at 1d8 +5 (not level), even the mass version, so Elan's CLW, Mass really didn't do too much. I'm sure his zinger did much more!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Cure Light Wounds maximizes at 1d8 +5 (not level), even the mass version, so Elan's CLW, Mass really didn't do too much. I'm sure his zinger did much more!
    Mass cures and inflicts are different spells with different damage formulas from their single-target counterparts.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    H: Pyromaniac? :lol:

How much does Resist Fire cancel out though?
    30 at best, which still leaves it as a solid smack at 45 damage
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Mass cures and inflicts are different spells with different damage formulas from their single-target counterparts.
    Indeed, as +25 is different from +5.

24. - Top - End - #174

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Indeed, as +25 is different from +5.
    I had to look that one up--I never actually used that spell in a game before.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

25. - Top - End - #175

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Uh no. Elves live forever in Tolkien's Legendarium, they may "fade away" whatever that means but they never die, ever. Dwarves do live longer than human (Thorin is almost 200 by the Hobbit and explicitly very old while it is said that Dain went to (and died in) battle despite his advanced age (230-50, I think). And Ents lifespans are just ridiculous.

It might even be true of Orcs too (the immortality I mean) if one takes Shagrat's comment on the Old Days as something he personnally witnessed (2000 years prior).
    Orcs were elves corrupted by Morkoth back in the First Age, so they might partake of the elvish immortality. Makes their use as cannon fodder rather sad, in a way.

26. - Top - End - #176

DwarfClericGuy

"Mommy's going to cover your sweet little eyes while she burns it all down"

Metal AF

27. - Top - End - #177

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Empowered Flame Strike takes up a level 7 spot (5 normally, +2 because it's Empowered), meaning that Hilgya is, at the very least, level 13. So far it has really been going the Order's way. I'm kind of expecting Greg to pull out some secret trick soon.
    Or at the very least realize there's a higher priority than "the bard". A 13th level cleric is a major enemy to vampires, and a god among vampire spawn. A free action verbal command to focus fire could be incoming quick.

Honestly the order is looking pretty good here. Team vampire is losing members and the order has tons of healing. Not-Durkon has 2-3 decent spellcasters but d12+0 isn't a ton of hit points, and V is due for his* turn. Even the vamps that made their saving throws took significant divine damage from that empowered flame strike.

*Yeah, I know a main joke is we don't know V's gender, but for years I saw -ius and assumed a Roman male gender.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm not informed on the actual level of Durkon (or Durkon*, for that matter), but I'd expect Hilgya to be of the same level, since she's something we could consider to be a personal nemesis, like Crystal was to Haley...

29. - Top - End - #179

DwarfClericGuy

Heh, Belkar has the highest confirmed kill total in this combat. Doomsealer indeed.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Orcs were elves corrupted by Morkoth back in the First Age, so they might partake of the elvish immortality. Makes their use as cannon fodder rather sad, in a way.
    I'm having trouble thinking of what element about the orcs' backstory isn't sad. Probably the worst part is the victim-blamey component of "If the elves wanted to, they could die instead of turning into orcs". Well, and the Original-Sin-ish bit where the kids of elves-turned-orcs are stuck with orcishness, too. (Of course, both of those are far from unique in Tolkien's mythos, what with the Christianity-inspired elements. Incidentally, me misremembering bits from that article is why I thought some elves were more immortal than others.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.