New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [IC] Illistera - The Great Divide

Bren carefully collects more of the delicate objects and places them one at a time into the other 14 alcoves. As he handles them he notices some are lightly speckled, and while all are relatively gray now, hints of pale blues, yellows, and greens peek through here and there and some of them. As you fill the last alcove a small sense of excitement fills you, but nothing significant seems to happen.
    Spoiler: Bren, Investigation DC 10
    Show
    Looking more closely you can tell these were probably live eggs at one point.
    Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    And based on the size and quantity they were most likely ophidian. Cracking some open could possibly confirm this educated guess if you can find some with partially developed creatures inside.
    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    The small statue is more difficult to deduce, but it's possible this is some kind of incubator. Chosen eggs could be placed in the alcoves to keep them warm and maybe encourage development? Where the heat is coming from you're not sure as there don't appear to be any vents or other markings on the small pillar.

Groth travels quietly a few feet down the short corridor to the next chamber, gripping his axe for comfort. Toward the end of the small hallway you find 3 dark sharpened spikes jutting out perpendicular to the wall from small holes. They're easy enough to move around if you wish to ignore them.
    It opens into another room, slightly larger than the first at about 20x30, also slightly rounded and domed. The rubble is more prominent here, and it looks like walls caved in at multiple points. Rubble litters the ground from the two visible cave ins, and these ones look like the walls just gave out. A few feet to your left rests one pile, and to your right lies a much larger pile that looks to have covered a stone table of some sort.

There is another round doorway ahead and to the left on the western wall and a deep alcove on the northern wall. You can just make out a large statue in the alcove but would need to get closer to tell what it is.
    Spoiler: Groth
    Show
    Make a Perception check with disadvantage in your next post (because there's no light in here).

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

Bren holds his breath, waiting to see what will come of 'completing' the statue. After a moment, he sighs a bit in disappointment and looks at the rest of the group.

"Do petrified snake eggs mean anything to any of you? Also what's Groth up to?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Kalinara

Kalinara steps back from the carved Titan in a huff, finally catching her breath. Perhaps she had been a little to enthusiastic on slicing the beast, but it did help alleviate some long pent frustration. Finally confirming the thing was dead, she took note of what the other’s were doing. The archer that had taken the final shot was inserting small baubles into the statuary, and after filling them seemed to come to the conclusion they were eggs.

“Maybe this was an offering place to a fertility goddess?” Kalinara guessed as she moved to examine the alcove, finding it warming. “Or maybe an incubator?”

“Well everyone, the beast is dead. If you want to go home, you can. The only thing keeping us down is curiosity at this point...”
    it is only then that Kalinara realizes Groth has already gone into the next room. “Which Groth is already indulging. I can’t say I’m not curious at what might be down here, but we’ve filled our duty so far.”

She looks at the faces around her, of the new task force that slew this Titan, and as she passed the face of the archer, she realized she didn’t know who he was. That and she couldn’t remember if she was told the holy dragonborn’s name or not. “I’m sorry if this seems out of place, but I can’t recall if we’ve been officially introduced. I’m Huntress Kalinara Siannodel, and I owe you a drink for that last shot.” she declared as she extended her hand to the archer. She glanced over to Val’s friend, still holding his side. “And my apologies for my poor memory, but I can’t recal if I know your name either, sir.”
    Last edited by darkmoonrise312; 2018-05-20 at 10:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Valmora
    Level 3 Bard

AC : 17
    DC : 14
    Spd : 30
    Init : +3

Current HP
    21 / 21
    Hit Die
    3 / 3

Inspiration
    1 / 1
    Bardic Insp
    1 / 2

Spell Slots
    2 / 4
    2 / 2

"At this point, I'd be surprised if he could remember his own name." Valmora chuckles as she returns from a small walk around the room taking in the surroundings. "An evening of Bog Grog interrupted by short, unwilling, jaunts through the air and landing just as sudden." She grins a little teasingly to her companion and fiddles absent-mindedly with the pommel of her rapier. She watches the egg incubator experiment currently ongoing with interest and considers penning a few notes about it in her notebook; she waits to see whether they need track down their orcish companion first.

"I'm quite alright with exploring further if the rest of you are. Though not exactly on task, I'd be lying if I said this didn't peak my curiosity at least a little bit--I wonder how much of these tunnels remain unexplored and what they might have been used for before we came to the city." She stifles a small laugh. "Plus if we can find some stairs we don't have to worry about any more falls."
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2018-05-24 at 11:34 PM.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

Bren pauses his study of the egg statue long enough to notice Kalimara's extended hand. He grasps it with his own briefly. "Bren Loh" he says, "You haven't heard of me?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Kalinara

"No, I have not." Kali responded, knowing full well that it would be a blow to the man's ego. "But I must thank you for your service this day in fighting off the Titan."
    When the Moon sets, its rising for someone else.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In the muted gray tones, Groth notices nothing unusual or dangerous in the second room beyond the horizontal spikes in the wall.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

Bren waves off the outlander's praise. "I'm just here to set down the story. If I leave it to an oral historian, it'll get all jumbled up." He says this last with a good-naturedly ironic glance at Valmora.

"At any rate, seems like it's time to head back up, once we collect our Birayen friend, and finish our scheming."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Valmora
    Level 3 Bard

Current HP
    21 / 21
    Hit Die
    3 / 3

Inspiration
    1 / 1
    Bardic Insp
    1 / 2

Spell Slots
    2 / 4
    2 / 2

"Indeed. Getting the story down--and correctly--is important in these sort of situations..." Valmora adds in regards to Bren's first comment. "A written account, or a drawing if one has the skill and the time, is can really set the story straight before barroom boasting and exaggerated oration come into play. Always important to have a written first-hand account if you can."

The dragonborn woman continues to hold the light aloft once she's donned her shield and makes ready to head toward the open passage way. "Let's go see if he's found anything as curious as our egg incubator here." She says as they begin to make their way in that direction. "Perhaps there might be more answers down here worth sleuthing out at least."
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren falls in behind Valmora, bow once more in hand and at the ready.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Vistra

No sense in leaving stones unturned. Vistra says as means of her vote. We might consider taking an egg with us, so that we could have it identified. she muses as well.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

"Oh, of course. Good thinking Captain."

Bren quickly steps back to the statue, palms an egg, and drops it into his pouch. He gives it a pat.

"Okay then."

He turns and catches up.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Groth

Groth returns from his small scouting.

"The next room is strange. It has spikes on the walls as you go there, yes, and an alcove. And a statue. And a pile.

I say we go with light and check it, yes"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Aurix Brightscale

Aurix frowns as he investigates the room, stumped by what he was seeing. When Bren shows off his findings, though, it begins to make sense to the dragonborn, who himself had been hatched from an egg. He picks up one of the eggs littering the ground and examines it. Definitely doesn't seem big enough to hatch a dragonkin like me or Val, but why would they need to hatch eggs in a tropical climate?

He repeats his thought out loud for the group's consideration Why would they need an incubator to hatch eggs in this tropical place? Surely it's warm enough up top for eggs to hatch? Not like Winhaven doesn't have scaled beasts of its own...

Aurix thinks back as they wander toward's Groth's position if he had ever come across anything in his studies about the history of this area and any mention of egg-laying technologies/cultures. He will also scan the room with his Eldritch Sight (Detect Magic at will) to see if there's anything that pings his senses.

History - (1d20+4)[24]

As he wanders about, he coughs a bit, working some moisture into his dry throat and answer's Kalinara. I'm Aurix. You probably haven't heard of me unless you spend any time at the Temple of Pelor. That's where I live.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2018-05-22 at 08:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You make your way into the next room, stepping gingerly around the sprung spike trap, and with the light find it far more interesting than first appearances suggested. Only a small portion of the streaked, dark stone table is visible under the debris. Dark stains stretch from it (beneath the rubble) to a small hole in the center of the floor.

The light accentuates a faded mural about 1 foot tall across the entire right wall at head level above the table, most of it obscured behind the large pile of rubble. It seems to depict several humanoid figures with arms aloft, some holding tributes, some holding children, some holding or adorned with snakes. All of them face toward center, though the object of their attention is hidden, or perhaps destroyed, behind the rubble.

In the rubble to the left, the light glimmers against a piece of metal. Digging at it a bit reveals it to be a curved dagger with a spiral handle. The pommel jewel is green, but thoroughly cracked and likely of little value given its damaged state. The blade is stained red.
    Spoiler: Investigation or Perception DC 14
    Show
    A few thin, skeletal fingers are visible beneath the rubble as well near where the dagger lies, perhaps its original owner.

In the alcove to the north, you can now tell the statue is of a humanoid shape, though many of the features have crumbled.
    Spoiler: Investigation DC 10
    Show
    It's not hard to tell this figure was intentionally destroyed. The stone fragments at its feet must be pieces of the original statue. Among them you find a large fang.
    Spoiler: DC15
    Show
    Examining it closely and picking up some of the more pronounced pieces you find parts of a hand with snakes for fingers, and it looks like something was broken off the back of the statue on either side of the spine indicating it may have been winged or something similar.

You may make a Religion check to try and glean more... it's a high DC with this piecemeal info though.

The stone's glow further illuminates the next tunnel on the west wall, and peering down it seems to have also collapsed about 10 feet in. The skeletal tails of two small snakes are visible beneath some of the rocks.

Spoiler: Aurix
    Show
    This hatchery does seem a bit strange... as you think on it further you note the air is significantly cooler here than above ground... maybe too cool to properly hatch the snakes, hence the need for a heat source. Though why the eggs are kept this far below the surface isn't quite clear - safety? secrecy? Maybe this was a way of selectively breeding these snakes or controlling their numbers?

Beyond beasts like snakes, several types of creatures are hatched from dragonborn to lizardfolk to kobolds... these eggs are a bit small to be any of those though. MAYBE kobolds but that even seems unlikely.

The structural motifs here are similar to other places in the city - the rounded edges, semi-circular doorways, chest/head level bands of decoration... the curved line decoration around the first room you even recall is found in one of the back rooms of Pelor's temple that now serves as a vestibule for Father Bremsky. Could it have once served a similar purpose as this place?

DETECT MAGIC: You get a very faint ping of evocation coming from the corner of the table that's visible.

Spoiler: Valmora
    Show
    It could be a trick of the eyes but... as you come into this room the light from the stone seems to dim, almost imperceptibly.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-22 at 09:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

Bren smiles at Aurix, These don't look like dragonborn eggs, my boy."

Stepping into the new room, he squats near the buried stone table. Taking in the dagger, the mural, and noting other small details. "Maybe that's not an incubator in there, but some sort of shrine. This dagger has a ritualistic look to it, and those stains,that drain hole, look suspicious to me." He sweeps aside a few chunks of debris. "Our officiant appears to have been struck down in the act..." he says, gesturing at a few finger bones lying near the wicked-looking dagger.

He straightens, knees popping loudly, and steps over to examine the ruined statue in the alcove. "Wings, and... snakes for fingers?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Religion. Here goes... (1d20)[19]

17. - Top - End - #137

Planetar

Aurix Brightscale

The dragonborn peruses the new room, thinking back on what he had learned in the previous room. That ping of evocation magic off the altar troubled him...how long had it been since magic was last cast down here? How could there still be a residue?

He makes a circuit of the room, noting the same features as Bren - the skeletal fingers, the dagger, and the strange features of the statue. He dusts his hands and helps Bren stand straight. I think you're on to something, Bren, there's something ritualistic and violently sacred about this place. It's definitely cooler down here than on the surface, that would explain the incubator, but I've never heard of anyone worshipping snakes before. He catches himself about to forget something. "Oh, I should mention, there was a magic residue in the first room. Energy magic...can't tell when it was cast, but we should be careful.

He turns his Eldritch Sight to the dagger and then to the rest of the room, seeing if he can pick up on anything else.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Kalinara

The Huntress follows as the others enter the next chamber, her watchful eyes taking note of everything the light of the stone touches. As the other's mark their observations, she tries to piece them together.

"This could have been the original builders of Windhaven, some long forgotten culture. Or maybe it's some weird snake cult that turned up here just years ago. But if these things are magic, we better be careful. And honestly, the more I look at this stuff, I'd like to make sure these catacombs are empty. Don't want undead snakes or whatever crawling their way up to the city."

Spoiler
    Show

I would like to use my detect portal and primeval awareness abilities. Detect portal takes an action /short rest, and I'm alerted to any portals within a mile. Primeval awareness takes a minute of concentration to detect any monstrosities within five miles. Just double checking if there any bad juju down here.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

"Cult or experiment, someone took exception to it." Bren points out small, rounded divots in the statue's features. "This was smashed with a hammer. I don't recall any cult scandals in town in recent years, besides, something that could collapse this cave while its occupants were either mid-sacrifice or..." he peers down the hallway choked with rubble and snake skeletons "... slithering away, would have caused some consternation up above, I would think."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Aurix
    Show
    You register no other magical auras in the area.

Spoiler: Kalinara
    Show
    Over the next minute you sit and focus your mind...

You detect no portals within range.

Your primeval awareness does pick up 3 monstrosities however...
    One appears to be within the city, probably above ground and somewhere roughly near-ish the Flit.
    A second is to the south about 4-5 miles (so 3-4 miles outside town).
    A third is about 2 miles north east of your position (so about 2 miles outside town).

The finger bones near the dagger seem to be still connected to the rest of the skeleton, not severed (unsure if that was clear or not).
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-22 at 04:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Valmora
    Level 3 Bard

Current HP
    21 / 21
    Hit Die
    3 / 3

Inspiration
    1 / 1
    Bardic Insp
    1 / 2

Spell Slots
    2 / 4
    2 / 2

"I'm curious if anywhere else in the city had this sort of architecture." Valmora stats aloud to no one in particularly. "It seems to be a very specific ornamentation and purpose and the amount of space and effort required means it wasn't some splinter group. Whoever was here before us or whoever built the city originally specifically had the time and resources to build underground chambers devoted to sacrifices and egg incubation."

She nods along in agreement to Bren's assessment about the ritual being interrupted. "Do you think it could have been a Titan?"

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Refresh my memory. Titans were a thing prior to people moving into Windhaven right?

So a titan could have destroyed previous inhabitants or driven them off and then later 'people' found the city?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

A titan.. seems plausible." Bren muses. Looking around and realizing there is no where else to go, with the party not seeming to be about to climb back out any time soon, he sits on the stone floor and takes his parchment out again, scratching away with his quill.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Vistra

The hole in the floor intrigued her. Was it some kind of ritual point, or did it lead somewhere else? Vistra examines it more thoroughly.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

24. - Top - End - #144

Planetar

Aurix Brightscale

Aurix wanders back over to the skeleton fingers underneath the rubble and crouches down, aches and pains twinging where he could feel bruises blossoming under his scales. Suppressing a groan, he begins moving the rocks and calls out over his shoulder.

Someone help me move these rocks, I want to see who was wielding that knife.

As he works he muses aloud to Bren and Val, I don't think Titans started appearing until the Everstorm, but there's probably a connection here we're not seeing yet.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Groth

Groth has experienced magic and not always pleasantly. But now he is way over his head with reptilian cults and energy magic. Nevertheless, he has an opinion on what to do.

"If this was a bad room, we should explore it more. Make sure of what is here, yes. I say we try and open the door there. Also, use my shovel to unpack the dirt. What if something comes up from this, no? Then, we will have another guard dead. No, we should explore".

If noone disagrees with him, he will try and shift the rubble with his shovel, then uncover a bit of the table and finally open the door, after checking it.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Kalinara

Having seen Kalinara mumbling to herself in trance-like state for the last minute or so, you see her come to with a gasp, shock on her green eyes. “We may have a situation people. There is a creature in the city.” Seeing the momentary confusion on some of the team members, she quickly explains. “I have the power to track beast of the Titan’s ilk. While it’s probably not a Titan, there is definitely some monstrous creature in the Flit. These tunnels won’t be going anywhere, but who knows what that creature might be doing.”

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Inspecting the floor, Vistra determines it is likely a drain of some sort. The floor is slightly sloped toward the center, and there is a thin groove in the floor leading toward the hole from the buried table. The same dark stain fills the groove. Scratching at it leaves a rusty colored powder on your glove.

Pulling at the stones, Aurix manages to reveal a portion of the arm with relative ease. Four fingers, one thumb... it looks humanoid so far.

While Aurix works on the buried skeleton, Groth sets his sights on the large pile surrounding the table, producing a shovel and going to town, flinging rocks and dirt into the corner.

A minute or two goes by as you begin to work at your tasks. The body can probably be uncovered with 5-10 minutes of work. The table will take longer... probably an hour, maybe less. The western tunnel... who knows. Depends how much has collapsed and how sturdy the walls and ceiling still are.

Show
    AURIX: give me a STR check to uncover the rest of the body. One other person can also make the check if they want to assist.

GROTH: also a STR check to work on uncovering the table. At this depth there is dirt, but it's mostly rock and clay - difficult work. Again, one person can assist with their own check if desired.

To clarify things, there is no door here to be opened. There is a hallway on the western wall with a similar cave in to the others you've seen. You could try to excavate it if you like, but this could take a while.

Here's what we're looking at right now... dark brown = impassable, light brown = rough terrain.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-23 at 11:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren

Bren watches Aurix and Groth at their toil, making no move to get up and help. Manual labor isn't his forte. He raises an eyebrow in concern at Kalimara's outburst, though.

"Something dangerous? Something that need concern, um, whatever this group is?"

He begins stowing his writing implements and makes a move toward where the rope dangles above.
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2018-05-23 at 12:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Valmora
    Level 3 Bard

Current HP
    21 / 21
    Hit Die
    3 / 3

Inspiration
    1 / 1
    Bardic Insp
    1 / 2

Spell Slots
    2 / 4
    2 / 2

Valmora offers the light emitting stone up to the group so that she might help assist her companion in removing the rubble from the buried skeleton. She offers it openly at first but pays particular attention to whether the half-orc might want the light due to his lack of vision in the dark. "At least your day hasn't been as bad as the one it looks like this fella had..." She jokes to Aurix as they remove rocks from the buried skeleton and drop them to the tiles nearby. "I wonder if he even knew it was coming or if whatever happened caught 'em by complete suprise."

As they begin to make progress in exhuming the body, she keeps an eye out for any insignia, rings, or clothing that might help identify who he was.

"Indeed. Is it something that warrants immediate attention? Can you tell how large it is?" She asks as the group goes on alert to Kalinara's call out.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Over the next several minutes Aurix and Valmora successfully uncover the body. It's definitely humanoid and nothing odd about the bones immediately jumps out at you. Whatever clothing may have adorned its frame has crumbled to dust, but you do find a damaged bronze bangle around the upper right arm, a belt made of delicate chain links, and a crescent necklace with some gemstones on either side.
    Spoiler: Necklace
    Show
    Looks something like this, and the other pieces are in a similar style:

On the other side of the room, Groth works diligently with the occasional grunt of exertion as he pulls aside the larger stones. The rest of you see him jump back a bit in surprise as a small snake slithers out from the rocks across the room. Immediately uncomfortable, the half-orc drives his boot into the creature's skull, its tail kicking reflexively for a moment before falling limp. A few moments later a roiling hiss fills the small room as dozens of small snakes pour out from the hole Groth is digging and others appear from miniscule paths in the rock on the other side of the table!

The snakes slither toward the two nearest the table, their numerous fangs seeking the gaps in your armor and boots. Groth's awareness keeps him out of harm's way, but Vistra feels the sharp bites in her lower limbs.

Show
    Since swarms invade PCs' spaces, people highlighted RED are currently standing in the swarm.

INITIATIVE
    Aurix: (1d20+1)[19] <<<--- is up
    Kalinara: (1d20+1)[16] <<<--- is up
    Bren: (1d20+2)[13] <<<--- is up
    Valmora: (1d20+4)[11] <<<--- is up
    Groth: (1d20+1)[9] <<<--- is up
    Snakes: (1d20+4)[7]
    Vistra: (1d20-1)[0]

SURPRISE ROUND SUMMARY
    Snake attack on Groth: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (2d6)[10] piercing + DC 10 CON save or take an extra (4d6)[13] poison

Snake attack on Vistra: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (2d6)[9] piercing + DC 10 CON save or take an extra (4d6)[10] poison (or 5 on success)

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-05-24 at 11:48 AM.