New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Masks: The Worst Generation (IC)

Nuisance
    Conditions: None

Sarah's eyes widened as Cindersnap laid out the entire situation before her. Everything made sense now; all the pieces rushed together faster than a champion puzzle player that just got hooked on meth. This was why she'd been forced into the public eye. This was why she had a surprise speech in front of everyone. Because the Weather Report didn't like her or the team. But why target her in such a way? Wasn't this kind of...beneath them?

It was highschool. The adult super community was literally just high school again, and Sarah already attended that regularly. Even worse, it seemed more like a version of high school coming from someone who'd watched too many teenage drama shows. What kind of person was that petty? Liu, apparently. Sarah had only met her the one time, and it had been to get an earful from the incredibly irate star. She used to think Liu was pretty cool, or at least very fashionable, but that experience at the zoo changed just about everything. Sarah had even taken down her poster of the Weather Report afterwards.

Even so, in the face of this new and incredible revelation, the realization of all the problems and stress she'd been facing over the last week, the only response Sarah could muster to Cindersnap's first question was a perplexed "Huh."

She chewed on her lip for a moment as she weighed her options while Cindersnap continued. Confronting the Robin was, as the fiery redhead just advised, definitely a bad idea. That would go nowhere fast. Running away was out of the question, especially with Carmine Crane watching. Fighting back seemed...juvenile; Liu had already sunken to a level Sarah didn't feel comfortable playing on. It was almost embarrassing just to think about.

The Weather Report doesn't like you
    so much that one of their top heroes feels the need to try and publicly humiliate a teenager. If you'd been trying to annoy them, I'd count this as a victory, but it's...mostly it's just sad.

She almost didn't catch the next part of Cindersnap's remarks. Instinctively, Sarah felt her spine stiffen as her cheeks reddened again. The itchy feeling of anger crept over her shoulders and made her jaw clench. Of course she remembered why they were hosting the Gala. Of course she felt bad about what had happened to that dolphin enclosure, but (almost) all the actual damage to the zoo had come entirely from the elemental attacking it. The Weather Report had showed up late, something Sarah had not forgotten about due to the bizarre timing of it all, and then blamed the entire thing on the team. The fire damage to the zoo was extensive, but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. It was very clear which version of the story this Cindersnap was partial to.

Are you freaking kidding me with this? 'You and the monster', who even is this lady? And...aren't I a guest too? I signed in at the gate, right?!

It was closer to a childish taunt than what she'd expected from such a professional looking person, and Sarah wanted nothing more than to set the record straight. With maybe a little swearing.

Like that would do any good, a reasonable portion of her brain pumped on the brakes. You know you've never been able to convince anyone of anything, right? It took a hostage situation to get some positive press.

Well, couldn't they arrange for a new hostage situation then? At the Gala?

No, that'd be stupid. Also, you almost died. Twice.

Oh, right.

Just let the queen have her moment. You'll get up there, say something stupid, maybe get sprayed with pig's blood, I don't know. At least it'll match the colors you wore tonight.

Sarah looked down at her dress, her hands tracing over the fine fabric that had been made from no less than three of Hive's really nice outfits, then back up at Cindersnap. The woman was stone almost, with the way she stood unmoving and just...not even trying to hide the contempt in her eyes. It hurt to be looked at that way, especially when it hadn't been earned. Sarah felt that her skin itch as that stubborn anger rose back to the surface. If Liu was going to pull a childish stunt like this, Sarah wasn't going to just lie down and take it.

She was a hero. This was a bunch of really petty crap. If there was something humiliating going on with this speech, they'd better make it count, because Nuisance would show them how she got that particular moniker.

Yeah...running headfirst into these things is definitely not your smartest quality. You did just promise Crane there'd be no trouble, right?

Sarah deflated almost instantly. That was it, then. She was defeated in a single sentence.

You'd also be playing right into that whole Worst Generation thing they harp on, so maybe it's not so bad? You can take one for the team, right?

Sarah let out a long sigh. It was beginning to look like she was going to just walk right in to whatever trap Liu had set, and only because of a promise she made. Her hope was that some of the team would be there so she wouldn't have to face this nightmare alone.

"Fine." Sarah said, hands held up in surrender. "No name mention. Just...lead on. We're not here to ruin anyone's night; we just want to help."

If only the Weather Report could say the same thing.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-12-11 at 12:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Hive, Impact: Bayside

Impact almost stops as you tease her, a mix of shock and amusement crossing her features as she prepares to let you have it. The comment about her being mom however puts her dead in her tracks as she reaches for your hands. “You’re a brat.” Her tone is earnest and over-saturated with love before she lets out a sigh, her eyes a little watery. “But you don’t know how good that sounds, to someone like me. I’ll never have any of my own, but if I could I’d want them to be like you. Honest, funny, and so strong. You make me proud girl, and I’d be proud to be your mom.”

The storm clouds return however as she gets moving, glancing at the van before giving you another pause. “I know you don’t mean that, Sam. I do but maybe don’t...joke like that around these ladies ok? I’m really sorry we have to talk about this now but it’s important. The good news first. Lan allowed some of the AEGIS remnants to take the Harvester ship from her cave, they’re going to transport it along with the outgoing caravan to some remote location. See if they can’t synthesize a cure for you and work on a countermeasure to them should they return. They’re making it a top priority, the Harvesters are the first hostile alien force we’ve encountered...we don’t want to be left with our pants down again. And of course…if they can save you, they want to. The bad news...well. After seeing the video I thought it’d be best to speak to Lan, she’s brushed me off every single time I’ve tried. Then she sent you off to that...that nightmare factory. Next time you speak to her, tell her I want to speak with her directly and I won’t take another no. I’m with you, all the way, no matter the outcome. I’m not going to let you do this alone.”

She gives you another of her famous death hugs, more than easily lifting you and giving you a mighty shake. “Before we go and get introductions out of the way...did you speak to that friend of yours? The one...that’s working tonight? You talked her out of it, right? She’s going to not be trouble at the Gala?”

Spoiler
    Show
    She is telling you who you are. She’s saying that you’re a trooper for all you’ve been through and are going to go through, and you’re worthy of love. If you agree, shift Savior up and Freak down. If not, roll to reject.

Tanuki, Alex, Polaris, Kaylee: Chillted Lovers

"Now hold on."

Kaylee's near whine splits the air and silence before anyone can go further. Hands on hips, the petite girl doesn't cut the most threatening silhouette as she stares the two of you down but she does her best to angle between the two of you physically all the same. "This isn't your call, ears" She stabs a finger into Tanuki's chest roughly before wheeling on Alex. "and you don't get to decide either. The bosses made the decision. Bring it up with the one overseeing the operation when you get there. But I was promised ice cream after all of this, so if either of you have anything else to say, say it and get inside. Otherwise, figure out how you're going to do this. Now get."

Polaris for all his indifference can't help but offer a smirk as he moves to hold open the door for the three of you. Kaylee is the first to march off and inside. Polaris remains with hand outstretched, bringing up the rear. However as you step through you both find yourself...elsewhere as the ripple of A/C washes over you only to deposit you in gloom.

The room, large enough you can't see the walls, is splashed with brightly glowing colors though it seems the only source of illumination in the otherwise dark space. Figures and shapes loom in the shadows, the vibrant yellows and oranges flowing out to what must be the center of the room where a cacophony of blues and greens and vivid purples spiral like a galaxy in collision. Cages hang from the ceiling, tentacles and paws and an assortment of locomotive methods alien to your mind hang from them. Eyes of red peer at you, siliva drips from the bars and the monstrous cries of creatures in pain...or worse...fill the air. The scent is overwhelming, a hundred musks and blood and iron and smoke. Incense sticks burn, the air is hazy.

In the center of it all stands an impossibly tall figure, gaunt and draped in black robes. Surgical tables and bookshelves like bones jut from the floor, pages are strewn about in languages you cannot read and that strain the mind the longer you look on them. Vials and potion stands bubble and froth, crystals hum with inner lights and musical instruments belt out music against the din as they hover in the air, fighting against the madness. The figure turns its head to gaze at you, its features obscured in darkness though a single large lantern bright eye of white stares at you both.

It can be none other than The Sorcerer.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-12-13 at 03:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 4/5
    Doom: 1/5
    Conditions: Afraid, Insecure, Guilty, Angry

Sam chews her lip slowly, walking along the packed road. "I can talk to Lan, but I wouldn't expect much. The mountains don't tend to listen." She glances up at the peaks of Bear Island, shrouded and cloud, before flicking her eyes back down to the ground.

"But she didn't send me." Hive says abruptly, feeling a sudden need to affirm that she had control over something, or maybe defend Lan, but that would hardly make any sense. What had the old crone given her, except bad news? Stormcrow indeed, she thinks, watching the birds huddle against the thick gray rain. "She asked, and I said yes, anyway."

She chews her lip again for a second, putting off the evil day, or at least the evil sentences. "I, yeah, I haven't talked Alex out of it. I did try, but it didn't exactly end well. I'm sorry, there's probably going to be some kind of trouble." There's almost an undertone of defiance to the apology, a hard edge to the admission of failure. Whether its the lingering shame of running, or the paranoid reminder that Impact still hasn't mentioned her 'friends' names, Hive's not entirely sure.

'There's something wrong here. Or maybe I'm just as scared as f***. C'mon, Sam, she's one of the few people who're actually not scared of you, and now you're accusing her of conspiracy, or something...'

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think Sam is rejecting, which will doubtlessly end badly for her. (2d6-2)[2]
    Yep, it's happy fun times for her. I'm interested to see which condition I end up with now...
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-12-15 at 01:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Hive, Impact: Bayside

"Then the mountains will move." Impact says tersely, following your gaze with her own. You can almost hear her teeth grind, rocks grinding against rocks. Her face only grows more stern as you explain Alex's...predicament. "You did your best but there won't be any trouble on my watch. Do you know where she's going to be? What she's doing? Anything to help me find her before she makes an even bigger mistake?"

She turns to look at you, not at all pleased. "You can't beat yourself up over it, Sam. The draw that darkness has...it's more than just poetic language. It seduces you, it infects you and then it poisons you. It turns good people into monsters and monsters into" she pauses, frowning deeply, her body giving a shiver as the tattoos on her arms seem to come alive all at once and with purpose as they stretch to their limits. As if trying to break free from her flesh. The moment passes, Impact sighing heavily. "I won't let Alex be drug into those shadows, she's your friend and your teammate. I just need you to promise me you won't do anything rash...like try and protect her. You have to promise me Sam, promise me you'll let me do this for you. For Alex."

Impact reaches for one of your hands but her gaze does not waver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mark a Condition, shift your labels as needed.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"I don't know anything," Sam says, carefully avoiding Impact's gaze, "I turned them down when they offered. I know they're going to steal something from the gala, some kind of wand, or thing."

She falls silent as her surrogate Ma holds forth on the poison of the darkness. She would know, after all. But something else rises, angry and cold, and her mouth twists slightly, an ugly expression.

"You know," she says, not quite addressing the words to Impact, "I'm really sick of people telling me I can't fix things, or that it's not my fault. It's just been my f****** life the last few months, and I'm over it. Can't I make my own mistakes?" Part of her winces, embarrassed to swear in front of Impact, but is drowned beneath the wave of blackened mood. "Or did I lose that along with all the other things?"

Show
    Hive is in a good mood, and I'm totally sure that she won't regret her decisions later.

Yeah right...

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty
    Potential: 5/5

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: +0

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to
      - What or who do they care most about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?

”We should...speak at the Island sometime soon. About your fight at the stadium.” As the limo pulls away again leaving Drake on the curb, he looks down at the contents of the box. Half of a golden dragon’s face stares back, mocking him.

Not worthy…

Reluctantly, he fixes the mask over his face. The gleaming sun still casts a few rays over the edge of the horizon, and Drake catches his reflection in a puddle. The mask fits perfectly, covering the right half but leaving the left bare. Maybe I should have had that drink after all…

Sighing, Drake turns back to Monsoon. Up the stairs, the line is already out the door as masked Gala-goers wait impatiently for admission. As Drake makes for the back of the line, a familiar voice booms out from the door. ”Do my eyes dare deceive me, or is that Zodiac back there? Boy, quit playin’ with that line and come give me a hug!”

Mask or no mask, Drake would recognize that figure anywhere. The little black man with a big mouth and bigger heart, Greek letter Ω tattooed on the back of his shaved head, could be none other than Omega Man. Drake breaks into a grin and saunters up to the front of the line to greet his former mentor. ”Hey man! Sweet tux, does it come in men’s sizes?” ”Oh ho ho, look who’s got jokes? Sounds like somebody’s gettin’ a little too big for his britches!” ”Yeah, I guess that’s not a problem you’ve got much experience with, huh?” ”You know, Drake? You’re still a punk. Tell your momma I said that. Now you gonna just stand there or give me a hug already? Or maybe you need another diaper change?”

Laughing, Drake and Omega Man embrace, bones crack and Drake’s face contorts in pain as the other man squeezes him and lifts him off the ground a foot as payback for the short jokes.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Hive, Impact, No Longer Evil Moms: Bayside

Impact's already stormy gaze only grows darker, obviously a battle wanting to rush and hug you going on against the urge to knock some sense into you. Her voice is tight, when she does manage to find it, a hand moving to brace against the truck. "I know you're frustrated and I know you know that's not what I meant. I'm not going to patronize you or try and make it seem you've gained so much in the face of all you've lost. We both know you wouldn't listen right now anyway. What I am going to say, and it's the last thing I'm going to say, and I hope you listen is this. Making mistakes is part of being a kid, and I want you to live a long long life to make plenty. I'm doing everything I can to make sure of that but you have to understand. Part of becoming an adult is learning to listen to the mistake of others because you're sure as hell not going to live long enough to make all of them and your own even if you live to be a thousand. So please, Sam, please learn from this mine."

The urge to bear hug you again comes strong as Impact moves to try and sweep you up once more into her grasp. "Alex is heading down a bad road and I don't want to see that. It all starts with small steps but they get bigger the fast you run. If you're not going to make me a promise, then I just ask you stay out of my way. I'm going to help Alex and you can either help me do that, get in my way or stay out of it. I don't want to fight you, but I will. Especially if it means kicking some sense into you."

She pulls back, her gaze hard again, the mom-rant seeming not quite done though the sound of a car door sliding open brings it to a probably much needed close. A young woman peers out from the van, the side door more than open to show the others in the back. Hood is a familiar face for you, once Rival to the White Rabbit, turned from a life of crime to one of the lead toxocologists of the city. Beside her is the venerable form of Freya, the original head of the infamous Valkyrie gang and Bruja, Golden Aged Witch who handed the Guardians their first true defeat. Along with them, the young woman that peers at you, is probably less known.

Dressed in what appears to be a more modern take on Bruja's Golden Age attire, the dark skinned and darker haired girl looks only a little older than you in a broad witches hat and cloak. "If the two of you are done? My grandma needs to use the restroom and the Gala's going to be over by the time this cry season is over."

Impact looks between the two of you before letting out a sigh. "You're right, get in Sam."

The ride to the Monsoon is otherwise silent, the awkward silence broken up only by some quiet gab from the back though none dare to break the storm clouds above you or Impact as you ride.

The Monsoon is in packed when you reach it, the line is long and Impact and her troop leave you to your own entry as they're quickly snatched by yet more familiar form villains and drug off. The last thing you see as Impact is pulled away is her staring at you, stone faced. Getting into the line isn't hard for you though when you reach the reception desk to finally check in, a sour looking older gentleman bars your way. With a tone much too close to a reed instrument gone south, he begins into a long speech you've already seen on cards lining the entry gates. "There is to be no weapons in the Monsoon. All metahumans, augments and mutants with internal destructive powers are requested to wear an inhibitor at all times. Failure to wear the inhibitor will incur a fine of twenty dollars while on the Monsoon floor. Refusal to wear the inhibitor may bar certain areas of the Monsoon from you. The form here lists you as Hive, of DRAGON, will you please take an inhibitor?" He holds out a package of blinking boxes, each with a strap to attach to clothing or costumes.

Nuisance, Cindersnap, a whole lot of other people: The Monsoon Stage

Cindernsap gives you a crisp salute, seeming to melt even just a little at you being so agreeable. "Right this way please, Nuisance." She sets a brisk stride and makes no real attempt at small talk as she leads you through various empty halls lined with impressive looking doors, past food carts and the kitchens, past loading bays where any number of exotic creatures are penned and vehicles are kept until you come to the stage.

The place is massive, the Monsoon well known for holding various bands from around the world and being the home to at least three orchestra. You're not the only ones preparing and practicing as crews move around to set up for the play that's been much promised. It's probably hard to glean what all the play is going to be but a massive rock with Shinto binding papers dominates the center of the stage and a few pieces of what look to be mountain for the backdrop are already in place.

The actors are at least partially present as well. A young Indian woman dressed in what can only nicely be called a fat suit and a pig's mask sits on her phone, feet over the stage and ignoring a dowdy girl in glasses that could see into space with a wig that drips water and clothing that seems to have come out of the wash desperately trying to get her attention. A more familiar face stands closer to what can only be other extras, all of their costumes appearing to be monkies in various forms of armor and dress. Tyler is a familiar face at school, you've certainly seen them in the halls though never near the theater department. They seem to be with the other two, as they're quick to march over and share some terse words with the Pig and the wet one.

The panels move from the threesome to the staff, metahumans using their various powers to move in a podium...no doubt for your speech, onto a wheeled contraption for easier movement. A few speedsters dart here and there, offering food and water to the other workers, one of whose powers seem quite familiar as golden motes of light follow behind the maneki-neko themed outfit. Men and women with super strength pull curtains and lighting fixtures in place above all over the din of other supers shouting their orders without much need for a megaphone. It's all chaos, but practiced in its own way.

The panels snap back to Cindersnap and Nuisance, the former with head done and finger to her ear as if listening to something. She glances back at Nuisance after a moment, letting out a soft sigh. "It seems your teammates have arrived. Your suite is #47, you'll find it on the third floor if you take the nearest staircase. Enjoy your practice, Nuisance." With that, she's off, arms swinging stiffly as she marches off panel.

Zodiac, Omega, Cindersnap: Monsoon Reception

Once you can breath again, Omega Man lets you go as someone clears their throat behind you. Standing only a little taller than you, and only a little older than you by the look if it, is a smartly dressed young woman with fiery orange hair. She has a Monsoon badge on her immaculately pressed suit and she stands at attention as if the rod up her rump was just recently installed. The look of professional resting bitchface comes naturelly.

"It wasn't my intention of breaking up such a wondrous reunion, Master Omega, but I have been asked by governing body to collect your mostly intact friend. You may call me Cindersnap, I have been appointed by the Monsoon to be your liaison for this evening festivities. I have had the...dubious...pleasure of making introductions with your teammate Nuisance. She will be joining us before long in your appointed Suite. If you'll come with me, Mister Zodiac? I am informed that Hive is currently in line, I will fetch her once you've been safely and comfortably escorted."

Omega Man for all he's worth gives a shrug and a much harder than needed pat on your back. "He's all yours kiddo, be careful around him."

Cindersnap gives you only a few moments to catch up, setting a brisk military step off deeper into the Monsoon as Omega Man goes back to whatever discussion you happened to distract from. Cindersnap waits until you're both out of earshot and eyesight before she slows, moving to match your pace. "You'll forgive me" she starts, tone still as hard as iron though her eyes soften "for this minor breach in protocol but I was disappointed to hear your mother was not going to be in attendance, Zodiac. She was retired before I became a hero but I grew up hearing stories of her from my parents. She saved them from Hood, when they were in college. When I got my powers...I knew she was a hero I wanted to be like. I'm certain you hear this often, your mother is an icon to our city. You must be bored of it, especially now that you're taking her place. I'll be watching you closely as well." The last words almost sound like a challenge, albeit good natured.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-12-22 at 06:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Conditions: Afraid, Insecure, Guilty

Sam scowls, eyebrows drawing down like thunderclouds, as Impact lectures her further.

"I'm not going to fight you," she snaps, sharp and cut out like a knife, before stepping away as the older woman goes in for a hug, avoiding the contact. The rest of the ride, unsurprisingly, is spent in sullen silence, glaring out the side window with a militant air. The latter slowly fades, admittedly, as the ride wears on, and her angers runs away into a sick sensation in the stomach. Still, Impact's last, final glare is met with an equally grim expression, if only for appearance's sake.

As is the gentleman offering her an "inhibitor". Then she sighs, and sticks her hand into the box, choosing one at random.

"Fine," Hive says, not really caring enough to fight. Anyway, it wasn't like they were wrong. She could level this building, if she wanted to...

Show
    Okay, now I think she's trying to hurt Impact, so I'll clear angry. Also, holidays are busy, so posts may be slightly delayed until the family leaves town again.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

The panels beak, a quick intermission early in the third Issue of Storm Chasers. The page is dominated by a single word. The Worst Generation. The next shows the silhouettes of five heroes, a text dump below them.

The city of San Fransapporo has a long history of super hero groups and the politics that arise from them though as the Gold Age turned to Silver several dominate forces began to solidify their power. These were the Weather Report and the Guardians West or just the Guardians in the city and its environs. The Weather Report was established long before San Fransapporo became the Western bastion of metahumans and mutants and their small numbers allowed the Guardians to take as much power as they currently have. The two entered an easy peace, their goals rarely overlapping. However with the advent of the Warlords and their system of "legal" crime and the formation of the Three Pillars, the city has found a more delicate balance between these organizations.

Since the Bronze Age, teenage heroes were expected to join up with one of the various minor powers or the Guardians proper but as the Age wore on it became more and more clear that whatever came after the third Age of Metahumas...the youth would not be following such rules. Marked for it's darker and more individualistic heroes, the Bronze gave birth to the Nameless Generation. The current Generation. Some, doomspeakers and apocalyptic types, termed this the Worst Generation though the name never stuck...at least not as an overarching term for the latest batch of heroes.

The city, and the powers that be, however latched onto the term as it circulated in the web forums and coffee houses of the more pessimistic and in 1999 as the Bronze Age came to a close and the newest generation was left to distinguish or shame themselves...The Worst Generation came as well. Known now as The Troubles, the first Worst Generation arose from a metahuman street gang and rose to prominence when they attempted to retake Karakuri from the restless dead and lift the travel ban into the region against the best advice of the Guardians and Weather Report. Their leader, Locomotive's Breath, remains at large.

The first silhouette fills in on the next page, a middle aged male with corn rows and black and blotchy white skin stands proud in a suit with a large letter T, the suit a solid gray. The other four remain blanked out though the theme continues on the next several pages.

The Troubles were defeated on the shores of Bear Island, their scheme to settle the broken town of Karakuri just as derelict as the buildings there in but The Worst Generation's title stuck. Others followed, four others cementing their place as "The Worst of the Worst". The second was Masquerade, a superhero band that fought against Lightbringer and the Guardians, taking aim to bring the minor powers and the Monsoon to more central power. Their leader, Bruja, a legacy of the ex-villain witch Bruja, currently works with Impact to help other villains step out of their life of crime and pain while the others have moved out of the city. The second form fills in, a heavily tattooed hispanic woman with a shaved head and witch themed garb joins Locomotive's Breath.

The third follows, known now as Envoys, began with a similar theme as the Masquerade. Cindersnap was among this number, easily the largest of the Worst Generation at sixteen. All known members of the Envoys joined with The Monsoon as part of their peace keeping forces. Cinder and her team have a deeply strained relationship with the Weather Report and Guardians, having fought both publicly several times. Jin, Liu and Lightbringer seem to be the most well known of these fights, Lightbringing experiencing a rare defeat at the young team's hands. Cinder is on the next page in a motorcycle jacket, ripped jeans and fire coming from her fingers, her hair wild and free.

The fourth, The Seven Stars, were perhaps the shortest lived but made a massive impact as they brought to light a massive conspiracy between an AEGIS affiliate and a powerful drug cartel peddling a metahuman drug. Karakuri Town served as their final battleground where The Reaver was made an official member of the Weather Report, Tonbogiri and AEGIS lost significant face that they inevitably had to flee the city and the mutant diaspora of San Fransapporo fled to safer locations. Reaver is not the form however that takes up the page, instead a hulking brute of a young man who appears to be a mix between shark and teenager. Wereshark.

The last body on the final page before Stormbringers returns remains blank, their blurb the shortest. One day they'd become known as Stormchasers. Who knows what history will say of them.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-01-06 at 06:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310

Zombie

Nuisance

Taking Nuisance through the backstage area of a superhero Gala was perhaps not the best idea.

The pace Cindersnap had set was unrealistic by any measure. On a normal day, with normal events and people, it would have been fine. This was not that kind of day. To pretend like she wasn't dragging Sarah past some of the most amazing things anyone had ever seen with no time to stop and let her jaw drop was absolutely criminal. Even the kitchen brought Sarah to a stop. There were so many chefs and a veritable horde of kitchen staff bustling about, calling orders and shouting at each other in a way she felt might've been combative in any other profession. And not just normal staff, either; these were Superchefs. People with fantastical powers, cooking with ingredients she'd never even seen before. Sarah couldn't help but pause to admire a four-armed woman frying what looked to be gyoza with incredible speed and precision.

Of course, now she was suddenly aware of the withering gaze Cindersnap was shooting in her direction. Had she stopped to stare for too long? Why wasn't anyone else admiring all of the work that was going on around here? Was it something she'd done? Sarah's eyes shot down to the mysterious dumpling suddenly clutched in her hands, and then towards the nearby shelf where a tray of its brothers and sisters sat cooling.

Curse you, you fried little villain! My one weakness!

Sarah gingerly placed the dumpling back where she'd found it, giving it a sheepish pat as she tried returning Cindersnap's glare with an apologetic smile. It was about as effective as anyone would have guessed, and Sarah soon found herself dejectedly marching after her grudging guide once again.

The rest of the "tour" went just about as well as it could have. After the exotic animals, the stage play set up, the actors in funny costumes arguing (and apparently a classmate? Good for Tyler, having friends), and the stress-inducing podium movers, Cindersnap seemed almost delighted to be moving on to something else. Sarah couldn't blame her.

I can't believe she just mentioned my suite number like I have to go to my room now. Or like I know how to find my room. Did she not just see all that stuff we walked past? Most of that bears further investigation...

The kitchens, specifically. A grin spread over Sarah's face as she watched Cindersnap disappear off into the distance. She wasn't about to cause trouble, but she was at the Gala to have some fun. And no amount of practice was going to make whatever her speech was about sound better anyways. Without a second thought, Sarah twirled back around and headed off towards the nearest spectacle.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: +0

Show
    • Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to

Cindersnap? Sounds familiar... Drake searches his memory for mentions of a Cindersnap as he rubs his shoulder, hustling to catch up with her.

As the stern-faced girl opens up about his White Rabbit, Drake can't help but feel a swell of pride in his chest. He'd grown up knowing about his mom's hero days, once he was old enough that June felt he could be trusted with the secret. When kids at school would talk about their favorite heroes, it was always a struggle not to blurt it out that White Rabbit was his mom! He'd been angry with Grandfather for blowing June's secret identity, but in the wake of it, he started hearing floods of stories from strangers everywhere he went about how she'd personally affected their lives. Sometimes it could be a daunting legacy to have to live up to, but he never ever got tired of hearing the stories.

He grins at Cindersnap beneath his half-mask. "She's a hero I want to be like, too." But even as the words escape his lips, he nearly chokes. His face burns up underneath the mask, and every reflective surface they pass reminds him of the lie strapped to his face.

I'll be watching you closely...

Not worthy…

Show
    Rolled for the Gossip Mags on Cindersnap: 8.

It seems reasonably clear what she's 'up to', and it seems like working the mom angle would make her vulnerable to me. She's got a Monsoon badge, so she's probably allied with them. But asking about enemies seems like a good opportunity for Drake to remember something about a fight Cindersnap may have had, and I like that as an outcome for this move, so I'll ask 'What allies do they have? Enemies?'

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, Kaylee, Tanuki and Polaris, Chillted Lover's

Alex's words seemed to have an effect on the boy. He snapped back and Alex could see some determination or at least spite coming from him to prove that he wasn't a coward. Spite was good enough for Alex, she'd done a lot of things out of spite. Before she could say anything however, Kaylee cut in making clear once more that there wasn't any backing out now, at least not without making an enemy with the Warlords. And the part of Alex that was motivated by spite was tempted, if just for a moment, to blow the whole thing, but the responsible part that cared for Lily and Sam, knew that would be a tremendously bad idea and so Alex complied and followed into the Chillted Lover's.

Instead of finding herself in an ice cream parlor the small group entered a dungeon? Pocket dimension? Alex wasn't quite sure, but she was impressed and even though she didn't show it, a bit scared. The general vibe of the room gave her the chills and her steps towards the figure looming in the center weren't as determined as they usually were.

"Cozy little place", Alex joked her voice not sounding quite as playful as she hoped it would.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Nuisance, Hive: Near the Kitchens

No one impeeds your progress now that you're out from Cindersnap's thumb, Nuisance, especially with the hustle and bustle of getting what is easily the biggest event of the year underway. The kitchens are closest and easiest to find by your senses, the smell of food is heavy in the halls and cartoon style arms of steam drift towards you to light your way...even if you yourself can't see them. Unfamiliar faces abound as preparations near completion, a hundred hands moving about to put whatever finishing touches they need. Even with the kitchen in sight, the constant hustle and bustle makes you an island of sanity in a sea of faces.

The panels cut to Hive as she is finally let inside, the inhibitor attached. It doesn't make you feel any different though a small pulsing light that seems in sync with various other appliances within the Monsoon itself and on the various staff that are much too busy to stop and help but not nearly busy enough to angrily wave you off or around this way and that. All of this could get one quite turned around and before you even realize it you've found yourself in the service hallways, caught in a hectic race against the clock. Heroes and civilians alike rush about trying to finish last minute projects and even though you are a massive metal young lady, you’re easily not the tallest or broadest and it seems they’re all quite adept working around such obstacles to the point you find yourself in the flow.

Lucky for you both it's not long before the panels show familiar faces. Your faces. One might be forgiven for not recognizing Nuisance on the page but Hive was there when the outfit was made so who better to spot her in a crowd?

Two of the party have joined up.

Zodiac, Cindersnap: Closing in

As you rack your mind, the image comes fairly quickly and clearly. In your mother’s pharmacy, on one of the walls, is a collage of newspaper clippings. Various heroes and their exploits there in and one of the largest, front and center is Cindersnap.

You’d be forgiven for not recognizing her now, in her smart and cut suit. In those days she wore ripped jeans, leather jackets and carried around a metal pipe. The picture on your mother’s wall reflects that as she squares off against another hero. The Spring Court’s second in command and protege to Liu the Robin, John Starling. Few papers ran the story, fewer tv stations even mentioned it as the powers that be put a blackout on the whole affair but the final confrontation between Cindersnap and her gang, the current Envoys, would have been legendary otherwise.

What started the fight is buried well enough but the outcome certainly isn’t. Within view of the Monsoon, on Central Street and High the Spring Court and the former Worst Generation went to war a final time. There’d been clashes before, plenty of them remaining on the books but the final fight saw numerous civilian injuries and the death of at least one of Cindersnap’s allies. The Spring Court did not walk away from the engagement unharmed either, a significant loss of respect in the city caused the Spring Court to lose their leading position of the Weather Report to Lan and the Winter Court. John Starling was incarcerated for the destruction though later acquitted and the Monsoon gained a valuable group of eager and unaligned heroes in the Envoys.

The enmity buns deep however and while all parties were forced to a truce, everyone who knows the sordid affair knows that Cindersnap and John Starling would start the war again with even the smallest of provocation.

The panels cut back to Cindersnap and Zodiac as the former leads them back through the service halls, trying to make a quick cut through to the on site suites. This proves a poor decision, perhaps her head not in the right space after bringing up the White Rabbit or some other distraction as you and your guide run headlong into Nuisance and Hive.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Sam really hates crowds. Squinting around her, she plants her feet firmly on the floor, and searches for the nearest exit.

'After all,' she thinks to herself, 'surely there must be some signage around here somewhere...'

There isn't, of course, and Hive is left staring into the middle distance, a bundle of clothes tucked under one arm, the cause of the whole business. In hindsight, assuming she could duck out of the main corridor and find somewhere quiet to change, then remember her route back to the 'civilian' portion of the monsoon was an obvious and regrettable mistake. Bunching the jeans and T-shirt more firmly, she looks down at her new costume and sighs.

When Sam was bothering to concentrate on it, it looked very impressive, multiple thin, semi-translucent sheets of shimmering blue fabric (or nanites, but no one needed to know that), intersecting with each and rustling gently, blown by some invisible breeze, or trailing off behind her in a series of graceful billows. When she wasn't concentrating on it, it rather tended to bunch around her chest like the world's frumpiest set of swimming togs, or unravel slowly, the trailing edges disintegrating into a fine blue mist.

Mentally rearranging it into something that looks more genteel, Sam summons a few errant nano-particles from inside the soup that bubbles nearby, runs her fingers through her hair on instinct, swears as she realises the damage now done to her tidy hairstyle. A fine blue mist rises from her shoulders, as she does her best not to lose any more of her dress to the people barging into her, and begins to slowly tidy up, again...

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanuki, the Delinquent
    Potential: 0/5

Anthony bit back anything further he might have wanted to say when Kaylee interjected. He was happy to end there, he certainly didn’t want to get into an actual fight with Alex, and certainly not here and now. His gaze darted pensively towards the petite figure as she pressed between them, conceding by easing back half a stiff step as she jabbed him in the chest. It took all his restraint not to rub at the spot afterwards. That smarts!! What kind of nails are those??

“Sure,” Anthony muttered as they were urged inside finally, taking his gaze off of Alex finally and turning towards the door to move inside in whatever order naturally arose, not fighting to be first but not hesitating behind either.

The sudden rush of A/C caused him to grip at his hoodie, pulling the hood in around his neck and chin as he held in a shiver. He’d been staring sullenly at the ground, no longer interested in the promise of ice cream, which was probably for the best as now that he lifted his head it seemed that the ice cream was a lie anyway.

Anthony instinctively froze in place as he took in the very unexpected surroundings, mouth subtly agape. If this is how he had started the day, he probably would have been freaking out, but he’d already used up most of that energy. That wasn’t to say he wasn’t extremely intimidated, because he certainly was, but experiencing it through a filter of resigned, numbed acceptance. There was no going back, there was no escaping.

Slowly Tan began to shuffle forward again, so as not to lose Alex. Some small part of him was intrigued by it all, but everything had a sense of danger about it. An unnatural chill began to seep into his veins as he noticed the humanoid figure looming in the distance, and he struggled not to freeze again when that one gleaming eye turned towards them.

"Cozy little place."

...though somehow Alex’s comment still managed to churn up a flicker of anger, a small relief of heat.

But he understood, too. Joking made it seem less frightening, or at the very least, hoped to convince others of that.

Anthony was too cautious to attempt the same however, instead bending forward and offering a bow in respect, hands placed evenly on his thighs. He was both eager for the relief of not having to look directly at The Sorcerer, and simultaneously afraid to break their gaze. It was a brief respite, in any case, as he lifted slowly again. His lips moved, but no sound came out, as he realized he had no idea what to say and not sound like an idiot.

”Forgive the intrusion. We’re here... uh... for your assistance...”

Ah well, not like he hadn’t been bumbling through it all from the beginning.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-01-14 at 11:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316

Zombie

Nuisance

Finding the nearest spectacle wasn't difficult, it turned out. There she stood, fumbling awkwardly with her dress and some other items, all the while the crowd around her desperately tried to both give her space and avoid looking in her general direction. Hive stood out on her best days, and Sarah could appreciate that about her friend. If nothing else, it meant she wouldn't necessarily have to go through everything alone tonight. It also meant Sarah could talk about what was definitely the most amazing event of her relatively short life.

"Hive!" Sarah shouted over the din of the crowd, surprising even herself at how pleased she was to see her teammate. She rushed over as quick as she could and grabbed a hold of the chrome giant.

"You're here!" She chirped, stopping to admire the sparkling attire Sam was dressed in. Well, perhaps "dressed" wasn't the right word, it looked a lot like the shimmering blue effect of her powers, especially that sauna field back during the stadium fight. The outfit looked amazing, but Sarah couldn't help but wonder how the dress even worked. Was it an optical illusion? Some kind of advanced sequin?

"You look awesome!" Sarah continued, chattering away about Sam's new attire and the way her dress looked and how her hair seemed nice in the light. "And that little box thing looks new! Is that some kind of..."

Sarah trailed off, not sure what to make of the little device Sam was now wearing. It certainly didn't look like her usual tech (far below it), and it definitely wasn't jewelry.

"Thingy?" She finished. Not technically a guess, but that point was already forgotten. In her usual excitement, Sarah was almost completely oblivious to a few things that should've otherwise stood out to her, namely that her friend seemed rather stressed, and her newest detractor was fast approaching behind her with Zodiac in tow. None of that was even remotely on her radar, for unbelievable news had to be shared first. News that Sarah could barely keep bottled up as it was.

"You won't believe what happened! I mean, I don't believe what happened, but it definitely happened, I think. I mean, I guess there could be the slight possibility of robots or clones or...uh, I met Carmine Crane! The Carmine Crane! He was just sitting in this room, and he gave me this awesome origami autograph thing, and he was so much cooler in person. Ahh, I can't wait to tell the others!"

Sarah paused for a breath. Her thoughts were too jumbled to get to the words she was really trying to say. She also realized she'd forgotten that Reyna was supposed to be in attendance. There were a great many things she'd been spacing on, apparently.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-01-15 at 12:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show
    • []Danger: +1
      []Freak: -1
      []Savior: +2
      []Superior: +1
      []Mundane: +0

Show
    • []Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
      []Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      []The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to

Drake almost doesn't recognize his teammates when he sees them. As tall as she is, Hive still doesn't stand out in quite the same way that she normally does among the gaggle of heroes and villains buzzing about the Monsoon, and Nuisance's get-up could totally have been someone else. But the glowing blue nanites and Nuisance's babbling about Carmine Crane give her away.

As he approaches behind Cindersnap, he raises a hand in greeting. "Hey guys, you look great! Where'd you find that mask, Nuisance? It's totally fire!"
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-01-15 at 07:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Alex, Tanuki, The Sorcerer: The Rural Dark

Silence answers as the behemoth shifts, dragging itself like some bloated monstrosity along the ground with wet sucking feet that worm and spread tendrils into the ground below. That one ominous eye bobs and floats in the mass of darkness as you're both swallowed by it, the vivid splashes of light dimming...but not ever truly going away. "Expecting....you" Whispers on wind as faces rise to the surface of the ghastly black sheet, opening their stained black lips to reveal more glowing eyes within. The text is scrawled on the page and while few were printed, the special edition for Stormchasers Volume 3 came packed with pages extra thick so the text would be sticky to the touch. Production values weren't high sadly and this feature lasted only about a week to air and dust exposure. The effort is noted however.

"Let us look at you." The darkness shifts, the faces moving as you are appraised. Arms flow from the Sorcerer, dagger tipped and dripping as they almost barely touch you both. "This one...has been touched." All eyes, faces, hands, shift to Alex as the air grows thick. "A little darkness rests in you, warrior...but you will learn nothing from it if you cannot put your hands to true work. For you...the face of a man in chains. Yes." A single nail touches you at the center of your chest Alex, a bloom of meatlike petals washes over you and when you open your eyes...you are another person completely. Tall, regal, skin tanned by the sun and missing an arm. You are Wenzhou the Lion, famed thief and fire starter. You can feel memories in your head, conversations and hopes and aspirations bubble at the back of your mind. You could touch them, recall them, if needed. You could be more than just the face of the most renowned metahuman criminal outside Royal City. Even if for a few moments. One such memory remains central. You see a tree, blossoms litter the ground of the mental space and the fragrant spice of sake and perfume fill your lungs with a breath...and then the darkness recedes. You're dressed in robes over long shirt and baggy pants. Ill suited for fighting even without the loss of an arm. You can feel it still, that arm, a phantom pain that tingles and itches. Your shoes are soft, almost slippers, and a single enshrined cherry blossom hangs from a bracelet about your wrist.

Only, of course, to wash over Tanuki. You've watched it all up to this point and as that veil falls over you...there's something familiar about it all. You've seen magic like this, the petals and the change that overtakes Alex, the lights that remain to fight against the ichor wall, even the music. It's familiar because you've worked with it, even if only a brush stroke or two. You've glimpsed these arcane secrets. "Assistance...yes....little magling" comes the voice, the multitude of faces bundling up as their eye mouths fall upon you. "You need so much. Direction. Lost, like this other one. This warrior. So lost. I could help, yes. But not now. The Warlord has need of you, the Warlord has many needs. He'll grind your bones, feed on marrow. You are not made for villainy, you are not dark enough by half. Let us stain you."

As with Alex a single hand outstretches and you feel the familiar feeling of facsimile wash over you. When it pulls away, your face is cast in mirrors that press out from the pallor. You, like Wenzhou, are tall but every bit as pale and light as they are dark. Form hugging clothing with sewn in pockets, velvety white and fresh as snow. Two blades hang from your waist, long legs keeping them from brushing the ground. You're a fox, athletic and fit with the motion of music in your step. You are a warrior, regal and cold as winter. You are Lukas Frisk the White Wolf, renowned "handy-man" and cleaner for a wide array of people whose names are far far too important to be detailed in the pages of some comic rag.

The Sorcerer moves once more, standing tall to the ceiling as it draws over you. The panels slide to place you on either side of it, a white and black dot separated by a wriggling black line. "You are tasked. Tasked. Tasked. Tasked. With stealing a valuable weapon. Yes. A weapon unbuilt. Potential cuts deeper than blades." The colored lights swirl as they form a simple wooden hilt. "You must take this. Give it to us. Or burn it. Do as you wish. The Warrior would have it. Take it. Forge a new blade. A weapon, a crude thing. The Weather Report would bind Elementals to their bidding once more. Magic, they had. Dried up. No more. No great wonders from a fallen house. Yes. The Rogue. The Rogue has her Spear. But you. You have nothing. You will keep nothing. Or you will be nothing. Yes?"

The image of a thousand blades in a thousand hands scrawls by. Each more terrible than the last as San Fransapporo is put to the weapon, burned and diced and slaughtered before the lights resume their original function.

"Questions? Demands? Requests? Or go." The Sorcerer falls silent, at last.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-01-16 at 05:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Zombie

Nuisance

Sarah jumped as she heard Drake call out to her. The speed with which she whipped around, stupid smile plastered on her face, might've put even put Bero to shame. What definitely trumped the speedster was the celerity with which she recognized Cindersnap again, and the happiness disappeared like it was slapped right off her face (landing somewhere far off in a punch bowl, probably). Her shoulders deflated once again, and Sarah stood nervously frozen for a moment as she regarded the older hero again. It hadn't been clear whether or not Cindersnap was just escorting Zodiac to his teammates, or if she intended to accompany them throughout the entire evening, but Sarah desperately hoped it was the former. The red-head was ironically more like a wet blanket than anything her moniker indicated. She gave a cautious nod in greeting to the liason, quietly shuffling out of her way and closer to Hive and Zodiac as the group gathered together.

"Hey, Drake." She said quietly, giving his escort a sidelong glance. "T-thanks. I got it...downtown?"

It really wasn't a question, it just slipped out like that. Sarah was slightly thrown off by his particular wording of the compliment, and her head tilted in confusion. It sounded a lot like what Sangha had said. Was this some kind of inside joke among heroes? Or was this some "cool kid" lingo she'd entirely missed out on?

An old, magic pawn shop owner and Drake Chang? She wondered very briefly in between uninvited thoughts of arson. Coincidence. Definitely.

"Have you uh...seen Hive's dress? She...she makes good stuff." Sarah said, reaching down to smooth out her skirt.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-01-17 at 09:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"I didn't really make it," Sam says, recalling herself to the conversation, "all the parts I assembled were off the shelf, so it wasn't like I did more than take them apart and put them back in a different order." She tries her best to grin and move on, making an effort to actually manage to sound like a human. "Sa-Nuisance," 's***', "was telling me she just met Carmine Crane! Isn't that the one you have all the posters of?"

'I need to find somewhere to stick these clothes - wait, whose that Drake's got tagging along with him - did he mention something about date I can't remember - s***, there's those elementals I need to find, without letting Lan know aren't they supposed to be here - Alex's in disguise somewhere I should keep my eye out - clothes - damnit, what's your dress doing - no stay out of that soup! -'

"Ah, yeah, by the way, anybody know where I can dump my stuff?" Sam adds, holding the bundle of her jeans and t-shirt. "I didn't think about that before I went for this costume," she says casually, while her mind runs at a million miles an hour, and her eyes flicker nervously around the room.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Zodiac, Nuisance, Hive, Cindersnap: Monsoon Service Hallways

You're answered, swiftly, by the young lady standing next to Zodiac. "If you'll allow, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Hive. I was coming to fetch you after I brought Zodiac to your suite. I've already had the pleasure" the last word sounds ambivalent to say the least "of meeting Nuisance. I had expected her to practice longer but given her quick thinking skills she's demonstrated in your dust ups I've no doubt she's ready. My name is Cindersnap, I will be your liaison for the rest of this evening. Please do not hesitate to call on me should you require anything. If you'll follow me however, the Gala is about to start and we'd very much prefer you to be set up in your rooms before then. This way." She's quick to turn on her heel, not waiting for the three of you to follow as she wades back into the mass of people utterly unconcerned by your dialog.

You are free, of course, to discuss on route, Cindersnap eventually dropping the three of you into a spacious room with warm wood walls and floors covered in expensive looking carpets. A TV sits on a small display, on as it cycles through the various times and events of the evening. A play will begin the evening, noted as being from some Art School or other, followed by a speech given by "The Worst Generation". Following this is designated "mingling time", then an Auction. The Television lists where one can find the items up for auction in your event guide. The auction will be followed by more "mingling time" and then a dance. The end of the evening is left blank save for perhaps more ominous than intended "Events".

Considerations have been made as several Hive sized chairs are set aside, a large table dominates the room with food and drink set aside along with a few couches and more human sized furniture. Along with the food are a number of sealed envelopes and an event planar though those can certainly wait even if the panels rest on them for several moments.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-01-18 at 04:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322

Zombie

Nuisance

Sarah's eyes got about as wide as dinner plates when Sam mentioned the posters in her room. Zodiac had never been to her shop before, much less her bedroom, and Cindersnap already seemed to have a rather low opinion of her, so mentioning Sarah's rather embarrassing fixation caused her brain to dive straight into panic. And while Zodiac probably already knew of her hero worshiping tendencies, he didn't need to know she kept a poster of any given hero she admired hanging somewhere in her room.

"Ahahahahah!" She laughed nervously under the sudden attention. "What? I-I mean, no, that's...I..."

"...yes." She finally mumbled. Her reddening cheeks hopefully unnoticeable under Sangha's mask. There was definitely no way she could look Drake in the eyes right now. Especially not since she still had that photo of him being swarmed by Rook's crows hanging up next to their team picture.

Fortunately, Cindersnap didn't seem to care. Or rather, she thought the whole exchange was unworthy of mention as she moved straight along with business and seemed to pointedly ignore Sam's request. Sarah winced at the rather casual dismissal thrown in her direction as well; she most certainly had not practiced anything. That much would be readily apparent sometime later that evening. It seemed the offer to direct them straight to their rooms was serious, though, and it also seemed like there would be no real choice in the matter for the team.

And so, Sarah offered to help Sam carry her stuff to their room as they were marched away by their churlish guide. If nothing else, at least the private chamber would allow for some time to catch up and stow their gear. Not that any of them had brought gear, but still. As the door to their room finally closed, Sarah let out an exhausted sigh. She wasn't aware she'd been holding her breath around Cindersnap, but being near their liaison felt like trying to navigate a minefield.

"I don't think she likes me."
    Sarah said as she plopped down on a nearby Hive-sized chair. She sank into the cushion almost immediately and had to struggle to get back into a sitting position. As she took a few moments to admire their luxurious new digs for the evening (a tv! In their own room!), Sarah felt her stomach rumble. Now that she was free from the myriad distractions and emotions of the Monsoon, it was like all her senses were finally catching up to her. It seemed as if the smell of the food had followed them into their room; particularly the soup. Whatever it was, it reminded her that she hadn't eaten since lunch, and stress made everyone hungry.

Fortunately, the center table was laid out with quite the meal already. Sarah quickly snatched one of the tasty looking gyoza and popped it into her mouth. It was far more delicious than food had any right to be, and Sarah felt a smile finally return to her face. Glancing back at her teammates, Sarah guiltily popped a few more dumplings into her mouth before washing it down with what she thought was water. It was not water; or rather, if it was water, even the water at the Monsoon was fancy.

If they had all that, why haven't you seen one of those fondue fountains yet? They've gotta have fondue, right?

Sarah was about to pose the question about fondue to Drake when she finally caught a good look at him for the first time that evening, and a lump formed in her throat. And not just because she almost choked on a dumpling. He looked rather good in a suit, actually. Dashing, almost, even if he had that smile that didn't seem all too happy. Sarah nervously flicked her eyes away and back towards Hive, who seemed rather intent on stowing her clothes properly. More than stowing them properly, it seemed almost...stressed. Could Hive even get stressed? Sarah had seen her yell at a Harvester before, but that was the angriest she'd ever seen her friend get, and it was for very good reasons. But there was something about the way her dress kept flicking around, same as her eyes, that had Sarah confused. Had something happened during the day? Was the crowd of heroes getting to her? And what was with that weird piece of tech she was wearing?

"Is everything...ok?" Sarah asked quietly, her head tilting curiously at her chrome friend. "You seem...jumpy?" She tried to be discreet, but it was difficult when there were only three of them in the room. Even if it was a ridiculously large room.

Wait, aren't you about to be on stage? Maybe Hive has the right idea...

Show
    Per the Pierce the Mask roll [8], Sarah will ask "How could I get your character to relax?"
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-01-24 at 01:20 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"Hi, uh, Cindersn..." Sam trails off as she realises that the fiery headed woman is, in fact, not listening to a word any of them are saying. Still, a private room will do as well as a locker, and so she drifts after their "liaison", eyes and mind still elsewhere.

Which probably explains, she cannot help but ruefully think, why Sarah is now holding her clothes. The bundle, a sensible size in her own arms, is a large unwieldy mass to her smaller teammate, the trailing legs of her jeans threatening to trip the other at any moment. Retrieving it from Nuisance, she looks around the room for a convenient place to dump it all. Finding none, Sam settles on one of the 'her-sized' chairs, mounding the pile on top of it, before cautiously settling into another nearby.

It's surprisingly comfortable, as she leans back on the armchair without the usual accompanying creak. Of course, the brief moment of chill lasts about three seconds, before Nuisance finishes her Gyoza, and gets her revenge for Sam's own evil remark.

"I'm not stressed." Hive snaps, then looks down at her 'dress', the nanite controlled fabric wrapping itself tightly around her chest like snakes, and sighs. "Okay, I kinda am stressed."

"Look, I don't like-well I've never liked these kinds of things," she adds, suddenly looking down at her lap, "and it hasn't exactly got better lately, what with all of this." Sam smacks one hand against her metallic forearm with a clang, as if to prove her point. Sighing, she rubs for forehead with one, eyes still fixed on her shoes, before continuing with rather forced cheer.

"Don't worry about it, anyway. It's just the jitters. It'll go away soon."

Meanwhile, her nanites continue to curl and twist, writhing and contorting around the back of her chair. Nuisance's keen eye, or even her less than keen eye, can almost certainly detect that the above sentence is, at the very least optimistic, and at the worst a convenient lie.

In fact, it is probably obvious, considering her previous career in a band, that at some point she must have liked these things, and it follows that Sam is not exactly telling the whole truth.

Hive also turned up, as Sarah can tell, wearing her civilian clothes, and Nuisance knows that she had some undisclosed 'job' to do in the afternoon, after the costume was finished. Most likely, therefore, it follows that at least some of Sam's stress is related to whatever her errand was, or the fall-out from that.

Alternatively, it seemed like Sam was looking for someone, and not just a friendly face. Perhaps this is the true cause of her stress, that someone she expected to see is not present? Or perhaps this is also related to the mysterious trip in the early afternoon...

Show
    Alright, so Sarah can make Sam relax one of two ways;

1. Distract her from whatever is on her mind, either with chatter, music, or some other thing that caters to her interests, if Nuisance can find something adequate to sweep her up in the moment.

2. Alternatively, she could try and persuade Sam to share whatever is truly worrying her with the team, and then work together to fix said worry. This, of course, could be the more challenging option, and does risk riling her friends as yet unseen temper.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac
    Potential: 1/5

Show
    • []Danger: +1
      []Freak: -1
      []Savior: +2
      []Superior: +1
      []Mundane: +0

Show
    • []Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
      []Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      []The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to

Drake smirks and rolls his eyes at his teammates' nervous antics. Clearly, this was not their scene. Then again, not so long ago, it wasn't his either. Life had turned upside down when Grandfather showed up. Things had been simpler back then, when it had been just him and his mom.

Once at the room, Drake gives an appraising once-over. "Nice digs!" Following Sarah to the table, he passes over the table of food, grabbing a can of soda and flopping down on the couch. He watches the schedule of the evening events scroll by, squaring it with what Grandfather had told him, but a loud clang draws his attention.

Turning his head to look at Hive, he has to fight not to roll his eyes dramatically. He slowly pops the top on his can, letting it hiss obnoxiously before cracking it open all the way. "Puuuhlease. Leave the lying to Alex next time. If we're gonna be a team, we should act like it. We're here for you, Sam. Just tell us what's going on." They had joked about being Mom and Dad earlier, but with Sarah here in the room, it was hard to think of her as some kid that needed to be protected from harsh realities. She deserved to be treated as an equal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled a 3 on my Comfort or Support roll. Feel free to boo and hiss.

25. - Top - End - #325

BlueWizardGirl

Everything about the Sorcerer evoked disgust and naked fear in Alex. Sure the Bard had been creepy in his way, commanding her movements and all, but back then during her first Warlord meeting, she still was able to shoot scornful looks and thoughts at the veiled figure and do her best to resist. But the Sorcerer was beyond that, most likely beyond human even, far beyond. More akin to something touched by the eldritch horrors lurking in the void...or at least that's what Alex imagined those things to look like. His voice was like a chilly wind that left a sticky feeling on her skin and caused a shiver to run down her spine.

A feeling that only intensified when the Sorcerer turned his focus on her, his arms flowing through the air, numerous and seemingly unhindered in their movement, skimming over the surface of her skin as he was appraising her, talking about the darkness inside her with this unnatural voice, that Alex wasn't even sure was coming from his figure. Then a nail touched her on her chest, Alex gasped as the magic overgrew her spreading it's meaty coldness and transforming her. Squinting her eyes and wishing for it all to be over or better yet maybe just a bad dream. Her thoughts briefly fleeing towards the memory of Sam's warm and soft lips on her own for respite. Then it was over and slowly Alex opened her eyes, breathing heavily.

She felt strange, a bit taller, her balance was different and her bra felt strangely empty while her shirt was stretching at the shoulders. Despite her surroundings she had to resist the urge to take a peek into her pants to see how...complete this illusion? transformation? really was. Most notably of course was her left arm, that was missing, yet she could still feel it. And of course the new and strange memories scratching at the back of her mind. After taking a moment to get at least a bit accustomed to her new appearance Alex turned to the Sorcerer, she was more than ready to leave this place, in fact she had been ever since they set a foot in here, but there was one question she needed answered.

"How...how long will it last? When and how will I turn back?", she asked with a dry mouth and real concern in her voice. It was as much a practical question as one born of the lingering (if most likely unreasonable) fear to be stuck in the body of the famous tree thief.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanuki, the Delinquent
    Potential: 0/5

It took all of Anthony’s will power just to stay rooted where he stood. There was something innate to the Sorcerer that just filled him with revulsion. The way it moved... and spoke... It was dark, and wet, and organic in a way that was nauseating. No matter how curious he was, especially about someone that had powers close enough to his own that he might want to learn from them, it was hard to even look at the Sorcerer for more than a few seconds at a time. Every fiber of his being wanted to run, to close his eyes, to just be anywhere else.

Watching in horrified fascination as the ‘petals’ cascaded over Alex’s form and left behind a perfect illusion, Anthony felt his blood run cold when the Sorcerer’s attention turned towards him next. Certainly part of him was eager, or intrigued at least, by those particular words, ‘I could help,’ ...but he wasn’t sure if he really wanted to be indebted to any of them anymore. Nor did he really wish to be... ‘stained’.

Tanuki’s body went rigid as the Sorcerer reached towards him next. He froze, save for a bit of hyperventilating, as the strange meaty slices leafed out from the point of contact and covered him as well. It was so much more breathtaking than anything he had ever created. He actually felt different. He could even imagine how Lukas should saunter, it nearly felt natural! It felt like he should constantly be wearing a smirk, and yet he couldn’t quite place how or why he knew that instinct to be true. For a moment, it was almost thrilling. For just a moment.

The Sorcerer’s voice drew his attention back, up and upwards. Tanuki wanted to shiver and tense. But Lukas would stand tall and easy, comfortable and ready to obey. Respectful and respected. It was a strange mindspace to try and inhabit.

Sharp eyes watched the shape of the wooden hilt forming, trying to commit it to memory in perfect clarity for later. He couldn’t risk making any mistakes. They had to leave with that hilt.

You have nothing. You will keep nothing. Or you will be nothing.

Those words certainly did leave him feeling a bit chilled... But Lukas was cold. Right? The last image of a thousand blades carving through San Fransapporo left him unsettled, however.

It took just a moment, as he dared to use his new voice, and resisted the urge to expect himself fully in childish wonder. Thankfully, Alex had found her voice first. Or... a voice. It was a good question! Though Tanuki didn’t really mind being tall and fast, actually! ...but wearing someone else’s face was a bit uncomfortable, and not something he wanted to maintain forever. That said, maybe it was just the glimpse of the White Wolf’s confidence that gave him enough bravery to ask his own questions.

“What-...” He cleared his throat quickly, unused to the strange silky tone that came from it now. “What... did you mean, ‘or burn it’? We... can’t just... do as we wish, surely? We have to give this weapon to you. And... what did you just show us? Is that what will happen, when we do...? Or, if we don’t?”

Pale, predator’s eyes darted towards ‘Wenzhou’ and then back. A little more cagey than the White Wolf might normally be, but they’d been offered the opportunity to ask questions, demands even (which seemed strange to him) so he’d take it while it lasted.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

The Sorcerer quivered.

"Like a bubble, your face only lasts when you can keep it upon you. It is a drapery, merely an image cast over what lies beneath. You are still you. The memories belong to someone else." The vast thing shifted, a hundred eyes falling upon Alex as the panels shoot once more behind the ensorcelled teen. "You must be that which you are not or the magic ceases. You will be found out. We will have no part of you. But the city will." The Sorcerer quivers, a vast white space with a multitude of black eyes and the shadow of Wenhzou upon it.

The words are obviously a warning, perhaps even a threat. There's no telling what would happen if you were discovered at the Monsoon uninvited. Let alone in front of some of the most famous names. Trying to steal something. The Weather Report has already been mentioned but just how many people are vying for this treasure? If the Warlords are this committed, the number is undoubtedly high. Probably best to maintain the illusion, for as long as it lasts.

"It is but a shirt, you may remove it when your tasks are finished. It cannot abide the sun. All darkness shrinks from the light. That is the agreement. Forged before us all."

The Sorcerer then turns, the panels turning black as white eyes focus on the white silhouette of The White Wolf.

"What care I, what care us, what care you if this thing is destroyed?"

The words, etched in blank sticky white ink drip down the page to the next panel to form the next sentence.

"Victory is merely denying your enemies their goal."

The panels once more leave the cramped and arcane place, a hulking form made of scintillating flames with two massive hammers in hands looms large. At its feet, a thousand blades are broken and bent. "None know the future, Wolf. But what danger is there in a broken blade? Destroy this weapon or deliver it to us. Your debt is paid however way you manage. It makes no difference, so long as the Chickadee does not give the hilt to the Smith. Our victory lies in their inability to work together. A fallen house need not remain so destitute. New magic can be made. Oaths linger in the dead space left between words."

Silence falls for but a moment before a swirling portal yawns forth inside the Sorcerer. Beyond is a twilit street, the air a gloam and there stood the Monsoon. The Sorcerer speaks no more and as you step out onto the street you are greeted with the all too familiar scent of the city. No one is there to collect you but it's unlikely to remain that way once you're inside. Do you both take off, or is there any last minute things you might think to do before you're in the event for real?

Moving through the line is quick when you do, you’re both well known and no one has any reason to doubt you or your identity. It seems The Monsoon was clever, a separate line and processing area for known villains and members of the Warlords, away from the paparazzi that have started to swarm about. The presence of the Typhoon Knights help keep these sorts away, the stolid and menacing warriors one of the groups set up as security. You are given one of these Knights each once you’re in The Monsoon and taken to where the other members of the Warlords are resting.

No expense has been spared for the Warrior and the other upper echelons of the Warlords, all much too busy to spare you time as you’re brought into the velvet draped room of rich dark woods and hazy smoke filled air. The Knights depart, leaving you both alone together but not for long.

The first figure to brush up towards you is a familiar one. At least for Alex, or Wenzhou. Miss Clementine is hard to miss even in a long, dark floor length jacket and two heavy messenger bags slung over her shoulders. Her normally frizzy hair is pulled back and tamed as best it’s able. “The Warrior greets you both, we’re all about to move to the Auditorium, would you care for some refreshments?” Gone is the ditsy, nerdy and nasal whine, Miss Clementine's voice dusky and cool. “You’re both not from our fair city, I am Molotov. I’ll be your contact for this evening along with Kodo.”

The second figure, obviously Kodo, steps forward. He can’t be much older than the both of you, dressed in smoke colored kimono with wild black hair and large bags under his eyes. His features are sharp, his skin pale, one might even say handsome if he were to flash a smile though the deadpan look on his face promises little in that regard.

“How was your travel? I hear South Africa is pleasent this time of year, Wenzhou?” Molotov is quick to keep the pressure on you both. “And Halcyon, how fares our cousin city? Cold I’d suspect. This must be a pleasant change, say what you will about the Weather Report but they keep us comfortable. Even when they’re making it rain.”
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-02-01 at 06:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Sam's eyebrow's twitch slightly as the can hisses, eyes still focused on Sarah, before her head snaps round as Drake begins to talk, lasering in on his lounging form. Eyes narrowed, she arrows in on his face with an intensity which usually accompanies heavy weapons fire.

Watching her teammate, Hive says nothing for a moment, even as the trailing edges of her nanites boil up behind her, forming a thundercloud of glowing blue smoke. The next words are phrased with carefully casual tone, but only a very foolish person would believe it.

"What lies do you think Alex is telling?"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Cindersnap, Bruja, Pandora's Boxer, Shadowpop: The Monsoon

The panels close on Hive and the Stormchasers but do not go far, Cindersnap walking briskly from their room with her military step. Her walk isn't far either, the fiery redhead dipping into another suite a few doors down. The suite isn't empty, three others sitting at a table and mostly looking impatient. All three start when Cindersnap enters the room, eyes telegraphing frayed nerves and an edge that cuts through the air like a blade.

The first is Bruja, the dark skinned witch first seen with Impact and Hive. She's in costume now, a tattered shawl, broad brimmed hat and glowing paint in a skull shape over her face. A loose robe otherwise clings to her thin frame and a heavy grimoire hangs at her hip like a pistol. Tattoos scrawl along her exposed skin, moving and crawling as if alive. To her right sits another dark skinned young woman with cropped white hair and a dark blue trench coat. Pandora's Boxer, a steel colored box informs with brilliant blue text. Few of the Masquerade, the second wave of The Worst Generation, remain in San Fransapporo, it's a wonder what brought her here though it's probably not too surprising, Pandora having served as Bruja's right hand in most of their conflicts with Lightbringer.

The last is Shadowpop, dressed as neatly as Cindersnap in a dark suit and tie. Another member of the Envoys and thus aligned with the Monsoon, Shadowpop rounds out the otherwise gloomy trio with obscured face and hands in dark silks. They merely nod to Cindersnap who takes her seat with the same calm and cool attitude she's displayed thus far, a shock of color shared only with Pandora's jacket and the scintillating tattoos of Bruja.

"Done babysitting? We don't have a lot of time to touch base before this all kicks off." Bruja sneers, leaning back and kicking a long leg up onto the table as she appraises the two suits. "Your idea too, not nice to leave us waiting with dark and silent here. Last time we spoke you were trying to get us all onboard helping out here. If that's the offer you've got, you've wasted all of our time." The sneer doesn't leave the former villain's face even as Pandora's matches its intensity with stone blankness.

Cindersnap is quick to shake her head, pulling an envelope out from her jacket and onto the table. "As I explained before, I'd like to propose an alliance..." She's cut off with a wave of Pandora's hand. "We're not lapdogs. Some of us knew what it meant to stand against this city, have you forgotten so quickly?"

Cindersnap glares, hot enough to melt steel. "As I was saying, I'd like to propose an alliance. One that will benefit us and the city mutually. If I may?" No one moves to stop her as her voice grows cold. "The Weather Report and the Guardians are squeezing tighter, I've it on good authority that the Spear and AEGIS leaving the city is just another power play to keep them on top. Combined with Liu's attempts at driving a wedge in the sophomore Worst, I've come to the conclusion that we need to go our own way again."

Shadowpop nods along, otherwise remaining silent. Bruja and her associate remain unimpressed, the former's voice dripping with scorn.

"And what, sister, do you propose? We band together? Create an all star team from the Worst Generation? I think if you're keeping score our numbers aren't particularly good. The Troubles are either in the Chill, erased, or living the life in some other city. I hear a few have made it to Dragon City. My people? They're all gone, save Pandora and she wasn't even sold on returning. They've got jobs, families, a few even have kids! They've settled down save for us two and if you think either of us are going to follow you? You're sure cute but we earned our spots on the Worst. You, you just gave in. Look at you both, in your fancy ties and putting on airs."

The tension in the room only grows as Bruja brings her chair hard on its legs with a crack. Shadowpop and Pandora jump, a glowing fist raising from the latter before all seems to settle. Cindersnap remains unmoved, her emerald eyes locked on Bruja.

"That's not what I'm proposing. Our people are individualistic, it's true. It's what the city's been counting on and we've been giving it to them. I'm the first, as far as I know, whose even considered this. The Troubles are off the table, they live up to the name. They won't join up, they won't play ball and they'll be fodder for the rumor mill and the press to slander us. They'd be a target on our backs if we could even get ahold of one of them. Let alone all of them."

Cindersnap taps the paper on the table, firmly. "That's my list of people. With everyone on that list on board, we'd have enough political clout to carve out a niche for ourselves. You think I gave up, took the easy route but I've spent all this time working on making my name one of trust, honor, respect. There are people in this building who know my name and know it means quality. With a display of fo..."

Cindersnap is cut off once more, the biting tone of Bruja like a whip.

"With a display of force enough to make them notice you'll have Jin, Lan...the entire structure of this rotten city on top of you in an instant." The witch snatches the paper off the table, snorting almost immediately with contempt.

"What's this? Zodiac? Wukong's boy? That'll happen. Nuisance? Come on, you've seen her on the news. A flare here, a flare there. If it weren't for that hulking big crybaby of a cyborg they've got the newest of our breed would be on the ropes. They're chaos, they're dangerous. I've seen the signs on them, if they're in? I'm out. Got anything else to say?"

Silence is quick to fill in the spaces. "S'what I thought. Let's do this again real soon Jess."

Pandora's Boxer and Bruja are quick to stand and head for the door but Cindersnap is faster, a flurry of black smoke and flames as she appears in front of them to bar their exit as Shadowpop raises to their feet behind.

" The Weather Report is planning on shaming the Stormchasers." Cindersnap's fists clench. "I heard it from Starling, it was confirmed speaking to Nuisance. I think she knows it too, she was anxious when I collected her. The battle lines are already forming, this is the last of the Worst Bruja. Some of their number...we can't count on. One of their numbers already fled, how long do they have? The Troubles were defeated on Bear Island. Your people gave up, deserted you and you're too stubborn to ever admit that. Pandora's Boxer is only here because she was the last one to stand by your side when Lightbringer torched your base and drove you to your Grandmother. I beat Starling, to be sure, but the Weather Report and Liu specifically forced us into where we are. They've beaten us at every turn. Joining forces, pulling our resources, it's the only way to make a change. You know I'm right, and if you want to put your head in the sands I'll have Buzz here teleport you into the Pacific to cool your head."

A flash of that fury, that teenage rebellion, that marked The Envoy's and their leader Cindersnap aggressive rise onto the scene runs through the young woman as the staredown only grows more intense by the moment as panels move between Bruja's dark caramel eyes and Cindersnap's green.

"How many you got, babe." Bruja finally growls as her tattoos crawl up along her arms and Pandora's Boxer raise a large glowing electrical mit of energy.

"Just me, Crackle and Pop." Cindersnap responds.

"And the babies." Pandora's Boxer shoots back as Shadowpop begins to swirl with dark misty energy.

"That makes ten." Cindersnap responds once more.

"Ten it is." are the last words, left uncertain as to who spoke them.

Rook, Coyote, Juno, Minerva, Minos

Odette has had better days. Better weeks, really. She'd blown the date, her best friend was growing scales and now before their big show in front of the wider heroing community...Tyler was experiencing stage fright, Minerva's fear of water was making it difficult for her to cross the Pepper River that had flooded some of its banks thanks to all the recent rain and Ronahi had decided that she wanted to play a more central role in the play. Antigone at least looked dashing as Son Wukong, the Monkey King, with her polished crimson bo staff and golden crown.

Odette honestly felt a little out of place in the get up that Ronahi had made for her, a monk's dress but cut to fill in all her curves. Ronahi had thought, and bless her, that Drake would have eyes only for her and she ought to be as enticing on stage as she could be. Fat chance now, when they'd parted she didn't expect him to look at her even if she'd thrown all sheets to the wind! It was only thanks to her friends she was even in a state to practice her lines.

"Well well." She heard, glancing up from her own misery long enough to catch sight of the dowdy Minerva dressed like a pig in the least flattering way. A large peach in one hand and a comically large rake in the other. "Couldn't help but stop and get something to eat while we were all worried sick. Whose afraid of running water, anyway?" Antigone had never had the nicest disposition, especially when she was stressed and she had every right to be that.

The fight at the stadium had not gone as planned from the very start. The Ice Elementals that Ronahi was meant to wrangle went wild, the civilians panicked and it wasn't even supposed to rain. They were lucky that Drake and his friends had stepped in...on one hand. On the other....

Odette's eyes flicked to Antigone who was further laying into Minerva. Ronahi had done a specatular job making the golden dragon scales seem like armor for her costume but the four of them knew the truth. Whatever she'd done to Drake...poor Drake...had effected her more than usual. Perhaps that's why she was going in on Minerva so harshly, if it weren't for Minerva's own powers then maybe she wouldn't have...done what ever it was she'd done. No one was really sure, no books had the answers and the Matron and her sisters were of no help either. They were on their own, thanks to their abysmaal failure at the stadium. Even Sister Medusa, their supervisor for the evening, wasn't speaking to them much. Sister Medusa was her favorite.

"Come on Ant...you know Minerva didn't mean any harm by it." She offered from her seat, Antigone about to go on another tirade only for her shoulders to slump.

"S'just nerves, Princess." Antigone finally mutters, slinking off as Minerva moved to sit next to Odette. "Lucky she's got barely any lines." spoken as a parting shot from the would be Monkey King.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-02-04 at 07:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330

BlueWizardGirl

Finally out of the Sorcerer's nightmare realm, Alex felt like she could breathe again and took a moment to gather herself, to fall into the role of Wenzhou, the Lion and dropping her own mannerisms. She took a deep breath and soaked up the foreign memories bubbling at the back of her mind. She wasn't the greatest actress, or so she thought, she wasn't really sure. After all she had never been in a play and now she was taking the role of the infamous tree thief. What did Wen do with that tree anyway? Unimportant now. She took a deep breath and walked towards the Monsoon at her partner in crime's side, wondering for a brief moment if any press saw the approaching together would start any rumors about their relationship status. Again...not important.

As they got closer to the building, Alex craned her neck to look up the Monsoon's facade and couldn't help a little smirk. She wondered if it was stupid or genius to have her disguised as Wenzhou of all people. On the one hand, the Lion was probably most famous for his Monsoon heist, on the other hand who would expect a one armed bandit to strike the same place twice? Her smile vanished when she thought she had caught a glimpse of a blue mote of light that she would recognize anywhere. Sam would be there, the team would be there. Had she told them and would they oppose her? There was a pang of guilt about the whole deal that no amount of rationalizing could do away with.

Before she could think too long or hard about it however, they were brought inside where they were greeted by Ms. Clementine of all people, introducing herself as Molotov. Her damned chemistry teacher...working for the Warlords...and none of the ditzy, nerdy personality she portrayed at school. When she first saw her, Alex couldn't quite believe it and was just glad that her jaw didn't drop. Of all the people she expected to secretly wear a Mask, Ms. Clementine was possibly on one of the last 10 spots. Even her sister Lilly was placed higher (in fact, about two weeks ago she had heard about a masked girl stopping a mugging in the Sleeping Giants calling herself Little Hellion...and ever since then Alex had gotten a bit suspicious)

So it took Alex a moment to not only process Ms. Clementine as Molotov, but also the words she just said before regaining her composure, "South Africa is home, my dear...a place we all long for and are equally happy and terrified of returning to."