New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masks: The Worst Generation (IC)

Hive, the Transformed
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 0/5

Time passes. Sam keeps herself busy, at least to some degree. She finishes her essay, although she is no more inspired by the meaning of Gatsby's life than before, getting a D. It's fair, she is forced to admit, although it pains her, since English was once her second best subject. Hive listens to music on her ear-phones, takes the bus all the way round the city to avoid meeting her parent's eyes. She texts Alex at 3:00 in the morning, desperate to talk to somebody, and Alex rings her back, leaving Sam wondering what she did to deserve such good friends.

She thinks, for some reason, that a walk in the woods would do her good, maybe on Bear Island. Almost going twice, Hive, in the end, delays, vaguely thinking that she'll invite Alex along with her. She also delays, much more to embarrassing to her, apologising to Sarah, but eventually steels herself and finds herself on Nuisance's doorstep. Unsure of how exactly to handle this kind of situation, and bouncing from foot to foot uncomfortably, Sam rings the doorbell and waits.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Flashback post!

I'm not sure how both Razade and Kirjath want to handle Sam's apology. Do we play this out over several posts, or shall we just leave it here?
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-06-11 at 06:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
    Potential: 1/5

At the Weekly Herald

Alex was pretty proud of herself and the team. She had gotten Sarah out in one reckless stunt, although she should probably talk with her, since she seemed a little shaken. But Drake got the hostages and she even "coordinated" the rescue of the cultists and Arachne with Sam. So it was definitely a win in her book. Granted, still having Lison all over her and in her wasn't so great, she thought as she picked another piece of the thing out of her ear. She should probably take a shower before heading back home and get a change of clothes, maybe she could ask Sam. But those thoughts had just formulated when she saw a police cruiser come closer and even though they where pretty much all the same standard issue, Alex could already tell who rode in that one and she was right. As a few moments later a stern looking police officer was making her way towards Alex. Awww, crap! Chris didn't look happy, and without saying a word she indicated her to get in the car and Alex complied, she should've known better. Alex managed to wave to the others before getting in and driving off.

They rode for about 10 minutes in total silence before Chris said something. "Why?", she simply asked but didn't wait for an answer, "first the zoo, now this? Can't you see how dangerous this is?"
    Alex didn't answer immediately and instead watched out the window watching the wet street-walk and lantern posts pass by, "I dunno...it...feels good, I guess? For once I'm doing something good with my powers or would you rather have me smash your front door a couple more times?" Chris sighed heavily, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes! What you are doing is incredibly dangerous..." "I can handle myself, I'm tough!", "...maybe, it's still dangerous..." "You're cop for ****s sake, you go out there every day!" "I know, but I'm trained and I'm not taking on zombie monsters on sky scrapers or jumping off said sky scrapers! You don't know your limits. So what if something happens to you? What if you hurt someone? Do you really wanna risk going back to juvie? And how are you going to explain this to your parole officer. And what about your sister?" "Leave my sister the **** out of this!" "No I wont! Listen, Alex, Anna and I care about you both, a lot. How do you think Lily reacted when she saw you jump off that building?"

Alex didn't have a come back for that and so she just stayed quiet for the rest of the ride.

After some time passed

It had taken Alex a bit, but eventually she had managed to drop by, by Sarah's place. Mostly to apologize for her little stunt, but also to reassure her. Being the only one without powers on the team had to be tough, but she had proven herself facing off Arachne and Alex wanted her to know that. Alex had just stepped in and was taking off her shoes when the door rang again. Alex went ahead to open it and was pretty surprised when she saw Sam standing in front of her. They had chatted a bit these past days, a lot actually. And the little chat they had late last night somewhen around 3 AM was particularly memorable. It had all started harmlessly, with talks about Star Trek, celebrity crushes, and other mundane stuff. But at some point it had gotten more serious and Sam had confided some of her insecurities and how she felt inhuman. Alex had send back some very aggressive texts telling Sam in no uncertain terms how strongly she disagreed with her. After that there had been radio silence and the system told her that Sam had received and read her messages, but they hadn't talked since. "Oh...hi!"

Spoiler: Late Night Chat
    Show

The late night chat, Alex and Sam had that was referenced above.

SamHayes - today at 02:49 AM
    Right took long enough to get to work
    These things are fiddly
    Alright coughs
    "Just watched the finale of Discovery last night. What did you think of it?"

AlexBlake - today at 02:51 AM
    Discovery?

SamHayes - today at 02:51 AM
    The Star Trek
    I thought you were watching

AlexBlake - today at 02:52 AM
    oh...right
    yeah, yeah...I was. I thought it was a bit lame
    like...the whole other dimension stuff was pretty fun, but that last episode was just strange
    can't even put my finger on it

SamHayes - today at 02:54 AM
    Really? I didn't like the other dimension
    Seemed like an excuse to get people to do evil things, but it's like alright, 'cause they're just pretending
    That's not how evil works

AlexBlake - today at 02:55 AM
    I may be biased, it got us more Georgou...is that how you write it?

SamHayes - today at 02:55 AM
    Michelle Yeoh

AlexBlake - today at 02:55 AM
    yes
    YES!
    she's awesome
    I love her
    and Killy

SamHayes - today at 02:56 AM
    Why does it not surprise me
    Both of them
    But sure, I like 'em too
    And Stamets w/ Doctor Friend

AlexBlake - today at 02:56 AM
    still think Micheal should've hooked up with her and not that Klingon whatever guy
    oh yeah Stamets was cool
    probs the reason they didn't do it
    can't have too many gays

SamHayes - today at 02:57 AM
    Yeah
    Doing representation by quotas is dumb

AlexBlake - today at 02:57 AM
    not every show can be Sense8 I guess

SamHayes - today at 02:58 AM
    Suppose so. I really didn't like the half-Klingon guy, tho.

AlexBlake - today at 02:58 AM
    Jamie Clayton <3

He was, like me, I guess?

AlexBlake - today at 02:58 AM
    (don't tell anyone I used that emoji!)

Not a nice thought
    I won't

AlexBlake - today at 02:59 AM
    what? How was he like you?

SamHayes - today at 02:59 AM
    Well, an alien took him and hollowed him out, and then he couldn't always control what he did
    And so he did things he regretted

AlexBlake - today at 03:00 AM
    you're not like him
    you're better looking for one
    and you're not hollow
    and we all do **** we regret
    **** my life is full of that
    it's part of being human I guess
    ****ing up, making mistakes and regretting said mistakes

SamHayes - today at 03:02 AM
    Usually not because there's an alien in your head, tho
    And I'm texting you at this hour because I honestly don't know what to do otherwise
    I think I qualify for hollow

AlexBlake - today at 03:03 AM
    hey my office hours are from 15 pm to 5 am so you're good
    and how are you hollow?

SamHayes - today at 03:04 AM
    The thing, the tentacle thing I threw off the building today, it was alive
    And then I killed it by taking over its mind and forcing it to commit suicide
    And I don't feel bad about it, that's the worst thing. It was logical

AlexBlake - today at 03:06 AM
    well, of course it was alive...I mean we all got it's blood and whatnot all over us!
    look a dammed mosquito is alive
    I squashed it anyway (and put a hole in the wall) anyway

SamHayes - today at 03:07 AM
    It wasn't a mosquito, though
    Think more of a dog
    A dog that basically operated on the same principles I do

AlexBlake - today at 03:07 AM
    well...what do you do with a rabbid dog. You put it down

SamHayes - today at 03:07 AM
    Alien tech + something else's mind

AlexBlake - today at 03:07 AM
    and you're not like Lison

SamHayes - today at 03:08 AM
    I am tho

AlexBlake - today at 03:08 AM
    no you're not. You're a badass and you kicked totall ass at the herald

SamHayes - today at 03:08 AM
    That doesn't make me feel better

AlexBlake - today at 03:09 AM
    well...look you are you and you are not Lison or some weird ****ed up flesh zombie
    you're you, and you are awesome
    you were there for me when I needed someone to talk

SamHayes - today at 03:10 AM
    Actually, I was the one crying first

AlexBlake - today at 03:10 AM
    well, yeah
    but I needed someone as well
    you're one of the few people I feel that gets me
    also...see crying! Did Lison cry I think not. I ripped its ****ing arm off and it just got angry and smashed me with Drak
    *Drake

SamHayes - today at 03:12 AM
    It could feel pain
    You can trust me on that. And it WAS afraid at the end
    I could feel it all the way down

AlexBlake - today at 03:14 AM
    So you made it kill itself and you feel guilty for that. Fine, good I guess that's part of this sucky human existence. Look if you were like Lison, you wouldn't even think about ending it's life or I dunno maybe you'd break out in manical laughter and twirl your mustache
    the thing is you're thinking about what you did, wonder if it was right and ok, maybe it wasn't. But you're not like it.
    because lison wouldn't have thought twice and it wouldn't care
    you do

Show

I changed the marked condition from Angry to Guilty from the Powerful Blow, because it fits the situation more (ie: being Guilty she endangered Sarah, without thinking her plan through)

Last edited by Sahe; 2018-06-12 at 08:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Afraid, Insecure

The Corner Ambulance
    Sarah sat alone on the back of her ambulance wrapped in a blanket and letting her legs dangle past the edge of the rear doors. Technically, it wasn't her ambulance, but when the EMT had said she could rest there for as long as she needed, Sarah made herself comfortable. No other paramedics came by to bother her, and she was thankful for the moment of peace. The storm clouds had been dissipating for a while now and the wind had slowed to a soft breeze. Sunlight was beginning to break through the clouds, revealing the most beautiful sky she'd seen in a while. It was worth hanging around just to watch everything unfold. Thankfully, it seemed like the EMTs and the police had things well under control, which left her free to sit and reflect.

Suddenly, Zodiac popped by with some coffee and a few words of encouragement. Sarah took the beverage with a small word of thanks, but she didn't drink it. Instead, her fingers absentmindedly traced the lid of the coffee cup as Zodiac continued speaking. He claimed she was a valuable member of the team, and Sarah's heart soared at hearing that. Zodiac was the one she'd always wanted to impress; whose appreciation she thought she'd earn only after having become a full-blown hero. The son of White Rabbit, thanking her! She had dreamed of this moment.

Unfortunately, her mind didn't believe a word of it. Not after the stunt with Alex.

"Thanks, Zodiac." Sarah said, unsure what to call him in this more public setting. She didn't mind that he'd used her real name; she didn't have a mask on anyways, and she was nowhere near famous enough to be recognized by anyone present. "That...that means a lot coming from you. But..."

She turned her face up towards him, but her eyes couldn't quite meet his. "You definitely could've done that without me. 100%. It was Hive who scared Rook off, not me. I was just distracting them. And Alex was the one who took down Arachne.

"Not to mention big dog saving the hostages!" Sarah shot him a wide grin. "Way to go there, Bloodhound. I can't believe I completely forgot about those guys. But you didn't, you're an awesome hero, Zodiac. I can't...do the things that you guys do. Not without the suit."

She held up her bandaged right arm, showing a lengthy gash in the suit that ran down her bicep. She was not about to show him some of the other areas she'd been cut. "I can't phase when its got a leak, no matter how small. Can't even turn it on. I-I don't know if it can be fixed. I'm gonna do my best, but..."

"What do you think?" Sarah asked quietly. "One small cut, and I'm out just like that. Am I still valuable, even after this?"

Show
    Sharing a vulnerability/weakness with Zodiac. He can either confirm or deny her suspicions here. As for his team move, Sarah will shift Zodiac's Saviour up and his Mundane down.

Spoiler: To be finished later
    Show
    The Scented Castle
    After one final check in with the EMTs, Sarah was cleared to go home for the day. It was fine, she'd had enough time sitting around anyways. I'll expand this later with her trip home and talk with her dad. The other two sections seemed more important to get out there quickly.

A Home Invasion
    Mr. Matthews opened the door to see a teenager with blue hair who smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. Confusion crossed his face. His pawn shop was not usually frequented by the younger rebels of the era.

"Are you here to buy something? I'm afraid we're not open yet."

He looked her over again, and recognition dawned on his face.

"Oh, you must be Sarah's teammate! Um...Alex?" He guessed. "She's given me a description of you before, I just didn't think you...nevermind."

Suddenly, his expression darkened. "Oh, right. Alex. The one who threw my daughter off a building."

"DAD!" Sarah shouted from behind him and slightly up the stairs. She was still wearing pajamas, her hair was disheveled, and altogether Sarah looked like she'd just woken up. "Just let her in, you're embarrassing me!"

Mr. Matthews jaw set, moving back and forth like he was about to say something, but he eventually decided against it.

"Come in." He said tersely. He turned to Sarah and the two exchanged a look. It wasn't clear what was decided between them, but Sarah sighed and proceeded down the stairwell. He turned back to Alex and pointed to one of the signs in the window. "Just be aware that this is a non-smoking environment."

Sarah let out an exasperated noise, but Mr. Matthews was already turning to leave. "I'll go find the scented candles, Duck. Let me know if you two need anything."

Before Sarah could say anything else, the doorbell rang again. This time, it seemed like Alex was the one to open it. Apparently, Hive was there too. Her dad lost his angry expression and instead adopted one of pure shock. Hearing about Hive and witnessing Hive were two very separate experiences. Even Sarah's mind began overloading as questions started building up about the sudden and most unexpected appearance of over half her team on her doorstep.

What were they doing here? Why were they here? Did they want to...hang out? They'd never seemed to want to hang out before, not that Sarah was about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Uhm, Duck?" Mr. Matthews said, finally swallowing the lump in his throat. "Was there something you were forgot to tell me about today?"

"Nope! Uh...come in, guys! What's going on? Are we having a team meeting?" Sarah said nervously, trying to herd the two visitors inside the shop and away from her father.

She really should have gotten dressed earlier.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-06-12 at 10:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Conditions: None
    Potential: 2/5

Sam looks around awkwardly, her own personal cloud humming and buzzing to itself, motes of blue light settling on hard surfaces with a faint crackle.

"Uh, hi," she says quietly, trying to convey the impression that this girl is cool and capable of smoothly handling social situations. Even to her, it is apparent that she has failed, and Hive winces inwardly, looking around the group. Adding Alex to the mix makes it complicated, to say the least, especially since they have their own baggage to discuss. Mentally appending her name to the list of people she ought to apologise too, she moves her eyes around to Mr. Matthews, who is looking at her as if he's staring at a monster. Sam represses the wave of drily cynical thoughts that come rushing up to complete that sentence, because, after all, he was Nuisance's Dad, and it's just not fair to think rude things about someone else's parents.

Hive turns a bit further, pivoting her head to look at Nuisance, taking in her mussed up hair, the pyjamas. Had she come too early? It seemed like a reasonable time to her, but she hardly slept last night, so what did she know. Did she come this early to acquaintances houses before? Sam pauses, unable to remember, then pans her thoughts back to Alex. What was she doing here? Alex had been up late last night, she knew that much from the text chat. And now she was here, early, if it was early in the morning, hanging with Sarah in her PJ's.

Had they? Were they? Did she, and Hive almost turns pink at the thought, interrupt Alex and Sarah 'hanging'? After all, they did seem very close last time the team was together. Heck, they jumped off a building together. Anyway, Alex was into girls, she knew that much. Sam interrupts her own hypothesising with the sudden realisation that the silence has stretched into painful awkwardness. She pulls her head up and answers Nuisance's question.

"Uh, no I just came to, y'know, chat. I'm not interrupting, am I?" Hive is vaguely hopeful that she might be, the better to avoid this conversation. She suspects, however, if she flees now, she'll never manage to return.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-06-13 at 02:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

BlueWizardGirl

Sarah's dad was not a fan of Alex, but she could understand that. He saw her jump with her daughter from a sky scraper (she didn't throw her though) and even if it weren't for that she didn't exactly make the impression of a "good influence". Maybe she shouldn't have smoked just before coming to the shop, well at least she didn't smell of pot. Lessons for the future. Although Mr. Matthews didn't seem to like her, Alex was reminded of her own dad. Calling his daughter in front of a friend an embarrassing nickname, having an eagle eye who his daughter hung out with and reminding them of the rules.

His reaction to Sam, Alex found less cool, though it was a lot of people's reaction. Still, Alex didn't like it. She knew it had to suck for Sam to go anywhere and be stared at and after the chat they had yesterday she knew how much she struggled with crap like that. So despite her own (and Sam's) awkward first reaction Alex quickly overcame her surprise and took Sam's hand to pull her in, answering her question, "Nah, I just came and Sarah, there is no team meeting. Guess we're both here to talk...at least I am. Can we like go somewhere for that? Sit down? Your room maybe?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"Oh, okay," Hive says, feeling an immediate rush of relief that she has not interrupted Alex getting laid. She takes the other girl's hand, clutching it like a life-line, and lets herself be lead into the shop, and through the ensuing social interaction. She turns sideways and ducks down, squeezing slowly through the door-frame. Straightening up on the far side, Sam looks around the shop with a slightly worried expression, seeing a place filled with things that are easy to knock over and hard to repair afterwards. She brightens slightly at suggestion of going some other place, then contemplates what Sarah's room might look like.

With a internal sigh, Hive mentally prepares for an afternoon of narrowly avoiding breaking things, then apologising. She looks around the group, hopes that Mr. Matthews will shut his mouth before something lands in it, then feels bad immediately afterwards. Head almost brushing the roof, Hive waits for someone to feed her another cue of what to do next.

Show
    Just a quick post to give Kirjath something to work with. Also, a fine opportunity for Hive to be cynical as well as socially klutzy.

7. - Top - End - #67

Zombie

"M-my room!?" Sarah blurted nervously as she watched Hive try and avoid knocking over one of the cheapest looking lamps she'd ever seen. Breaking it would've probably done Mr. Matthews a favor, as it had sat on that shelf taking up space for years.

"I don't-that's not-we shouldn't-uhm...."

Her mind was racing. Her dad was stuck with that dumb look on his face and Sarah was dying from the embarrassment, but showing them her room? That was private! But where else could they go? Outside? Doubtful, as Alex made it sound like she wanted to talk about something more confidential. Down to the basement? Way too cluttered, and Hive probably wouldn't even fit. There was simply nowhere in their small family store that they could have a quiet conversation, and Sarah knew her dad would want to open up the shop in the next half hour or so. He likely wouldn't get any customers with the three of them sticking out like sore thumbs. At least, not the kind of customers that were interested in old wares.

"Fine." Sarah said, her shoulders drooping almost imperceptibly. "We can use my room. Just...don't laugh."

She herded her teammates towards the back of the store and up the stairs while her father finally seemed to shake whatever it was he seemed to be reeling from. He watching them head upstairs, but made no further attempt to obstruct them. Sarah's room was clean, almost excessively so; everything was organized in an decidedly military fashion. A small bed sat nestled against the wall next to a folding table functioning as a desk for an old laptop and a handheld game system. A small oscillating fan sat on top of a wooden dresser next to a curtained window, slowly sweeping back and forth as it made a gentle breeze in the room. The floor was mostly hardwood except for a moderately sized throw rug in the middle of the room. The walls were lined with posters of the various Guardians and their Directors, not to mention a few printed group photos Sarah had taken of her teammates. A small college-rule notebook sat on her bed, but she quickly marched over and shoved it underneath her mattress without a word.

Sarah then stood with her face buried in her hands for a moment while she tried to collect herself. This was not a place she wanted most people to see, and she still couldn't figure out why these two were here. Normally, she'd be excited. Actually, she was still mostly excited, but this was definitely not how she'd thought their first hangout would be like.

"So...what did you want to talk about?" She finally turned and asked. "You can close the door if you want, but I don't think dad will be bothering us. I'm so sorry he was rude to you guys! He's usually pretty chill, he was just...freaked out the other night when I got back."

Her eyes shot to Alex, and she waved her hands in nervous appeasement.

"Not that it was your fault! I mean, he just saw all the cuts and stuff, and he was worried."

He hadn't quite gotten working on her suit again either, but that wasn't something she was about to mention to them.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-06-13 at 10:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Guilty, Afraid

Even after Alex had pulled Sam in, the cyborg girl didn't let go as if she was worried to get lost of she did. Alex didn't mind, in fact she felt like it gave her bit of extra resolve for what she was about to do. Apologizing wasn't exactly her strong suit. They followed Sarah up in her room and Alex quickly noted how different it was to her own, essentially an anti-thesis. Everything was neat and tidy and she was pretty sure that all the pictures and posters had been hung up using a level. She also noticed how Sarah quickly hid a notebook before burring her face in her hands. Alex didn't pry though, she had some things she'd rather not share with everyone.

They quickly got to the topic why Alex was here. She noticed how Sarah seemed nervous, was she afraid of her? Alex finally let go of Sam's hand and gently put it on Sarah's shoulder, "You know, your dad is actually not so wrong. You said it yourself, 'not cool'. And yeah, you're right. It wasn't cool. At all. I didn't mean to jump all the way down, but I massively misjudged how far I could jump and how far that other building was...it was reckless and stupid and to be fully honest with you, I wasn't sure if we would make it, because I actually have no idea what the limits of my powers are. I didn't know if I could survive that fall. It's actually why I laughed, I was just so relieved that we made it. So, Sarah, I'm sorry. It was a stupid, rash decision I made because I, once again, didn't think things through."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Sam stands against the door frame, blocking out the view, as Alex and Sarah enter the room. It is, in many ways, not far from the kind of room she used to have. Well, the posters of heroes and oh-god-is-that-me, would be indie rock instead, but the point still stands. A familiar rush of embarrassment, the same itchy sense of discomfort as always, rises up in her gut as she looks at the image of herself on Nuisance's wall. Peeling her eyes away from that, to her mind at least, unpleasant sight, she fixes them to the window, completely missing Sarah's hurried removal of the book.

Hive listens to the conversation a with a slight sense of impropriety, but also relief. The prospect of apologising in front of everyone is less unpleasant if she's not the first. Sensing Alex's discomfort, the quietness in her usually brash voice, she moves forward slightly, extending one hand to gently curl around the other girl's shoulder. Sam suspects that the cold metallic touch is not so much comforting, as like a jump-scare from some bad horror movie. But Alex is her bestie, and she has to do something...

Show
    I'm going to try and comfort or support. Suspect that this will be more for the potential than anything else, but ehh worth a shot:

(2d6)[8]

Also, I love the visual of Alex reaching out to squeeze Sarah's shoulder, and then Sam reaching out to squeeze Alex's shoulder

10. - Top - End - #70

Zombie

Nuisance

So Alex had almost killed both of them. It wasn't a super-stunt she pulled just for the heck of it. Sarah couldn't tell if that was better or worse than her initial impression, but the revelation caused her to quietly find a seat on her bed before her legs decided to try something crazy: like stop working. This was a lot to process, and Sarah wasn't great at that. Not quietly, anyways.

"I...don't know what to say." Sarah admitted as her thoughts began jumbling in her head. "I knew the roof was coming down, but I was just so focused on Arachne that I didn't-couldn't plan for my own escape. You...still definitely saved me back there, Alex."

"But to hear this it-I don't know."

To admit the next part would be reinforcing what she'd feared when Alex had performed her wild leap in the first place. Sarah desperately wanted to play it off and go back to being cool with each other, but a part of her had been really hurt by Alex's admission.

"Were you that scared? Was I so much of a...a burden that your only thought was to get me off the roof? That I just wasn't going to make it if you didn't find a way down for me right then?

Sarah knew that was unfair, but it had just popped out. She didn't want to be angry at Alex, the girl was still one of the coolest people she knew, but part of her was getting increasingly irritated.

"I'm...not mad, I just...I don't know."

It sucked to be seen as the weak one, but she was the weak one. Especially compared to these two.

Don't show them weakness! Comeon, you're better than this!

Sarah shook her head and let out a deep breath. She stood rather suddenly, her shoulders squaring again as she looked at the two of them.

"No. I'm not mad. Thanks for saving my life Alex."
    She announced, reaching over to wrap the other girl in a hug. When she parted, Sarah's wide grin had returned to her face.

"Just...don't do it again. At least, not from that high up."
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-06-14 at 08:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull

Alex felt the cold, metallic hand on her shoulder and despite the strange sensation, she felt better knowing Sam was there giving her some support. She was just about to say something to Sarah, when the girl seemed to have already made up her mind forgiving Alex and hugging her. Being so close to Sarah again and without both of them covered in Lison, she noticed how good smelled. No not just good, just like Lisa, the foster sister she had a thing with. It was a bittersweet memory, her first love, but it had also cost her and her sister that actually not bad foster home. For a moment she was 14 again kissing a girl for the first time, then Sarah pulled out of the hug and the spell ended and she saw her smile at her. Alex was still a bit flustered from her quick trip down memory lane, but then she found her voice again.

"You're not a burden Duck", Alex said grinning back at her, "you're resourceful and smart, you would've found a way even without being stupidly reckless...and deal on not jumping down those heights again...oh and it was totally a record for highest tandem base jump without a parachute by the by."

She grinned and then went over to the desk leaning against it, not to hog Sarah all day, Sam apparently had something to say as well.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac
    Potential: 6/5

Drake can't help but grimace to see the condition the suit is in. "Messed up" didn't cover it; it was basically trashed. "Looks like more than 'one small cut'. But from where I was standing, didn't look like nobody took you out. Except maybe Alex," he grins. "But bein' a hero's not about wearing the suit. It's about putting it on."

Sensing that it was time to have a moment, Drake cops a squat on the back of the ambulance next to Sarah. "When I first started out doing this hero thing, my mom wasn't too happy, y'know? But I kept doing it anyway. I felt like... knowing what I can do, I couldn't just stay at home, sittin' on the sidelines. And one day, Mom sat me down and told me something. There are two kinds of people. People that run from sirens, and people that run toward them. She knew that, no matter what, I was always gonna be one of the people that runs toward them. You and me, we're the same. Suit or no suit. Same goes for all of us. As long as you're chasing sirens, I'll be right there next to you. Well, maybe not next to you, more like above you, but y'know." Drake grins again, standing back up. "Tell you what, let me talk to my grandfather. Maybe we can do something about fixing your suit. Crossbow looks kinda banged up too. But I gotta run. Catch you later!"

Show
    There was a little more I wanted to do with this scene, but my battery is dying and I figured it was more important to get something up sooner rather than it be perfect. But this is also a good moment to reveal to Nuisance that Zodiac nearly did forget about the hostages and reveal a secret about his Legacy. Maybe we can revisit that at a later point when Nuisance inevitably gets down on herself again.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-06-15 at 04:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Zombie

Nuisance

Ambulance
    Sarah watched Zodiac retreat as his words took a while to register. After a moment, a wide grin spread over her face, excitement bubbling up and over the insecurities she'd been wrestling with. His words resonated with her, and Sarah felt new energy rejuvenating her tired body. She stood and stretched; her muscles still ached from the battle with Arachne and her zombies, but it was a good ache. She felt alive again.

Zodiac was right. For now, it was time to move on. Sarah would put the suit back on when the time came again, because that was who she was.

Show
    Since you affirmed that Nuisance is part of the crew, Zodiac gets influence and (in this case since he already has it) shifts her labels. And more potential for Nuisance

Homefront
    Sarah laughed when Alex brought up her nickname. Outside of the team, most people called her that; she'd had the name ever since she was a kid. Sarah hadn't brought it up before because she was worried they wouldn't take her seriously if she mentioned it, but that turned out not to be the case.

"Do they even let superheroes set world records?"
    She wondered playfully. "It's kinda breaking the rules, isn't it?"

This was beginning to be pretty fun, like spending time with friends.

"Hey, would you two like to...hang out for a bit? Sarah offered. "I mean, if you can. I know we still have a lot to talk about! There's not much to do here though, but maybe we could find something fun?" She wasn't particularly doing anything for the rest of the day, and this was as good a time as any to see if she could get to know her teammates better. Sarah had always wanted to talk to them more, she just never had the opportunity to approach them. Or maybe she'd just been scared. Regardless, they were here now, and she let their encouragement push her forwards. This day was gonna be a good one.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-06-15 at 09:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Sam tries to avoid obviously looking at Alex and Sarah having their moment, retracting her hand and half turning to gaze down the hallway. She smiles a little to herself, although perhaps not without a tinge of regret and, concluding that she ships it, pivots back as they break away. Smoothing her features into something carefully neutral, Hives tries to give the impression of having just arrived.

Happiness is infectious, though, and the virus of amusement leads her to grin along with Nuisance. She smiles again, a sudden dash of teeth sprinting across her face at the suggestion of an afternoon spent together. Anyway, if talking to 'Duck' became too awkward, or the memory of before too strong, Alex would be with them. She could paper over the unpleasant silences far better than Sam ever could.

"Yeah," Hive says quietly, then, realising that she ought to seem more enthused, tries again from the start, "yeah, I'd love too!" Suddenly wondering if she seemed too excited, or if the question was really directed at Alex only, she continues again after a pause, "If you want me too, I mean." Making some kind of half-aborted shrug, Hive adds a final addition to the already complicated sentence. "Hey, I feel like I ought to apologise for the stairwell thing. It seems kinda unimportant now, but.."

Sam trails off with a vague sound, feeling better for the apology, but unsure what to say after that.

15. - Top - End - #75

Zombie

Sarah bounced happily as Hive agreed to her suggestion to hang out. Forget about good, this was gonna be an amazing day! She stopped just short of grabbing them both and leading them back downstairs for snacks when Hive blurted out her own apology. Sarah was legitimately taken aback for a second. Her head tilted in confusion before she burst out into laughter again.

"Don't worry about it! If that's the most embarrassing thing you remember about me during that whole day, I'm glad. I seriously wouldn't have made it up those stairs to the roof otherwise; do you know how many flights that was? And then there was the tentacle grabbing, the meat-pod popping, I got drenched in zombie arm....eugh."

Sarah shuddered at the memory, but she still reached over to give Hive a pat on her arm.

"Thank you for looking out for me too. Now comeon! You two need a proper introduction to the Matthews Pawn Shop kitchen, where all the good stuff is."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Issue Two: Storm Warning

"Goooooooooooood morning San Fansapporo!" screams John Booth Daily over the radio and on TV screens across the city. "This is John Booth Daily reporting in from our temporary home at KNNO: The Rock and Roll Eagle and representing the Weekly Herald. Big news as more information pours in relating to the Beach City Beatdown where five members of The Worst Generation put to rest the Tenebrous Cabal! Exciting stuff ladies and gentlemen! As The Weekly Herald is rebuilt more evidence shows that members of the Cult infiltrated our organization and set up a weather machine to cause the torrential downpours much of the city experienced a week ago.

Life has resumed in the Bay District with no small thanks to four of our up and coming members of the hero community. It is my pleasure, my esteemed privilege, to speak today because without those four and one in particular, who knows if I'd be speaking ever again. While it is true that the weather machine built and installed by the Cult was the same design as found at the Rumble in the Jungle six months ago, one cannot put the blame on the children. So I say San Fransapporo, open your hearts and minds to Zodiac and his team of heroes! Our future, your future, is in good hands! I humbly believe it!"

A splash page appears on the televised episode showing the faces of Zodiac, Alex, Hive and Nuisance. The pictures must have been taken after the fight with Lison and Arachne as all four are covered in guts and grime and looking as disheveled as one might imagine.

"And this reporter" Daily continues "would like to ask. Where was the Weather Report in all of this? They stepped in at the Rumble. Is this an indication of more trouble brewing between the widely considered upstarts of the Worst Generation and the Weather Report? I, John Daily, will continue to report on these events and I would like to, on behalf of the Weekly Herald, apologize for our lack of journalistic integrity in the past. We resorted to cheap, dime store drama over the years to increase viewership. There is no other way to explain. We only promise to be better in the future. Please help us reach our goal of becoming the greatest Hero News organization within this city and beyond as we heal from our wounds."

The panels slide back from the broadcast to reveal a quaint and cramped changing room. Liu the Robin sits half dressed and without make up. A star within the city, the Robin shoots the television a look of disgust before turning it off. "More trouble from the children." she whines, stretching out on a large couch much to big for the room it inhabits. "Two of them are coming you way, Lan. Perhaps you should take care of them. I'll look after the other two. We found the Thief...she won't be troubling us any longer. Shipped her to Halcyon."

Silence fills the next few panels, giving a good view of the room itself. Costumes of a hundred types line the walls and the make up station wedged between hangers is the only real source of light. On the table is a single flower in a vase though its water is frozen solid. The flower, a blue rose, slowly drips as if melting. "I don't take orders from you, you impudent brat. You and Wan are free to do as you please but I won't get involved with this mess. It's your fault anyway. Contain the situation and I'll deal with the Coven. They can't be allowed to complete their plans. Goodbye."

Liu simply huffs as she sits up. "Old crone. Starling?"

A door creaks off panel, Liu turning with a pout. "Bring me the archer. I'd like to speak with her next."

ISSUE 2
    START

Issue Two's cover is a map of various counties of California. A good number of them are colored in a bright orange with other counties colored in a yellow. Interposed before this are the members of The Worst Generation, most are simply silhouettes but Alex, Zodiac, Nuisance and Hive are colored in. Phantom Thief Z has a large red Z through her.

Dauntless: Two Hours Earlier

The Spear looms over San Fransapporo Bay like some stalking bird, waiting to strike an unsuspecting rabbit. The newest in a line of progressively impressive Helicarrier's, The Spear is a technological marvel complete with its own biodome to grow food. A self sustaining weapon of war. It's no wonder why its in San Fransapporo, The Warlords a concern for the organization known around the country as A.E.G.I.S. The locals aren't thrilled with your presence though. The civilians or the local heroes. Well, not most of them. The Guardians seem to be on the fence about your current motives though they're a factitious lot.

All of this is detailed in the dossier presented to you when you reached the city Dauntless and today your mission brief highlights many of the same issues. You're given very little time to prepare as you're given the run down of your next assignment. You are to join four of the Worst Generation, a team that A.E.G.I.S has begun to call DRAGON, and...give them a helpful push. Not to take the lead of course because they are considered high risk for attempted control, but certainly to observe and report if and when needed. The mission is ongoing and subject to revision and amendment. You are given a meeting point with your handler, a one Oni. You've met her once before. Give me, before the action starts, a brief explanation of how you proved you were worthy of her time.

Alex and Hive

"Alex of Goblin,

We, The Five Warlords of San Fransapporo, hereby extend a hand of invitation. Your exploits, while varied and minor for the most part, have been noticed. The so called Rumble in the Jungle and your most present display of prowess at the Weekly Herald in the baffleingly named Beach City Beatdown has indicated you are not merely a hero to watch but a potential asset to our causes. We, in turn, would like to speak about making this relationship less one sided. Please respond at your earliest convenience."

That is the note that you received days after the fight at the Weekly Herald. How they knew where you lived is a mystery. Your return letter prompts the following as well

"Alex of Goblin,

Meet our representative on Bear Island this following Sunday. They will be at the Red Lantern Inn."

There is no further explanation or attempt to clarify. Taking Hive with you, you board the small ferry that travels daily between Bear Island and the mainland. Bear Island is known for its...troubled districts...alongside the obelisk that is HexXen industries, a direct and aggressive competitor to Wukong Industries. Bear City, the small town that houses much of the population of Bear Island, work for HexXen and while there is an obvious presence of San Fransapporo proper within the smaller little hamlet, it shows its past as a mining community for the various Asian immigrants much more than the modern and highly manicured city beyond.

Baby Bear Lane is your destination, the largest of the Red Light Districts in the city and so called for the various chochin lanterns that hang outside every establishment. It's a den of villainy and petty crime but aside from the passing super villain its nothing you two can't handle on any given Sunday. The Red Lantern Inn is bedecked in its namesake and hard to miss. A multi-tiered establishment that caters to all walks of life.

Even here however Hive, the draw you've felt all week persists. You've made it to your destination but...something tugs at you. The Mountains. You can smell the petrichor that the city drowns out with all its smells. The loam and the moss. You can fill the chill winds of the higher reaches of its peaks. You're close but not quite there. The tug is weak for now but like a calm sea...who knows when it might begin to rage.

You're seated, the both of you, in the back. The waitress seems to know who you are and why you're here but there's no sign of your contact. What do you do?

Zodiac, Dauntless: The Present

Sunday morning is your Grandfather's favorite day. He gets to take time away from his daunting schedule to spend time with you. His favorite grandson. Luckily with your showing at the Weekly Herald and the news feed this morning has put him in a good mood and the moralizing and various "lessons" from Grandpa are minimal and you even earn some praise from him before the food trolleys start to roll by. The 108 Star is known for its impressive menu and your Grandfather is a well known face. Which means the carts are always rolling by to offer food. The old man is in such a good mood that you're totally blindsided when two more guests arrive in the private corner booth you always sit at.

Her callsign is Oni, a leggy number in a pressed suit. She appears to be in her early thirties, pretty but with eyes that seem to look through you as if figuring out just how to break all your bones. She is clearly A.E.G.I.S. Everything about her screams she's an A.E.G.I.S agent and that's before Dauntless sits down with her. Your Grandfather gives you the look. You know the one. The one that says "Grandpa knows best so shut up and keep in your seat".

"Agent Oni. Agent Dauntless." he starts, motioning to you. "This is my boy. The one I was telling you about over the phone. I'm afraid I can't stay much longer. The three of you have a good brunch. Tell your mother I say hello, Drake. Hopefully you'll have good news for her when you get home. Don't forget to bring her something to eat." The old man is up and out of his seat with deceptive speed. He doesn't even stay for the customary hug (no more than three seconds and never without a bone breaking pat on the back) he demands from you.

This leaves Oni off balance, as she takes her seat. "I..." she starts, giving you an almost sheepish look. "Hello Drake. It's very nice to meet you. This is our out of city agent Dauntless. Your Grandfather spoke of...well. Has he told you anything about why we're here? Perhaps we should start from there?"

The old goat's done it to you again. This is the second time he's tried to use his contacts with various hero groups to dump a partnership or mentor on your lap. How are you feeling about this Zodiac?

Dauntless, you're in a strange situation as well. Clearly there's been a bit of a set up here. You know why you're here. Wukong Industries has promised to provide A.E.G.I.S with materials, funds and weapons while cutting out HexXen Industries and the small time arms manufacturers and in return Wukong and his contacts throughout the city will help improve your PR. You are a trial run of this deal. Ten shipments of weapons arrived at the Spear last night. You are to be placed in a high visibility area, with four of the ten Worst Generation, to improve your reception in the city. You could explain this to Zodiac of course. Even if he does know, try to soften the blow. Get in on a good foot? After all, you'll be working together. How do you feel about this deal anyway?

What do you do?

Nuisance

Your week has been rough. Recovering from the fight, your dad being upset with his work being ravaged by some crazy witch. School? Boys? Girls? The list is long and the weekend is a reprieve. Various gyms throughout the city cater to superheroes looking to test themselves and their powers and the one closest to you is Let Freedom Reign. You've been here before, lots. Give me a few reasons why you keep coming back here to test your suit and weapons. Your father is still grumpy as well though you're pretty sure it's for more than just the suit. Perhaps you bringing your friends over? Either way, he's asked for some very rare "alone" time this weekend so it's back to the gym.

Sadly the extra time hasn't improved your skills. You're on the verge of a breakthrough but its illusive. You've been given their private room to train on, a massive three story tower that has various settings so you can shape the terrain and environment however you'd like. Normally it's just a big room with mirrors and that's the state it has defaulted to after yet another blistering series of failures. You're not alone though, even though you started out so.

"Tough going" comes a familiar voice. You haven't seen her in months. Not since the Rumble in the Jungle. She looms large in the mirrors. Looking Glass. You can't see how she looks, her seamless suit of white obscuring even the smallest detail, but she seems...happy...to see you? "Can I come in? Or you not done? You don't look done. Didn't look done up there on that high rise either. Proud of you kid." The last words are...a little sarcastic. Looking Glass is a big time hero, earning her respect for the whole team was hard enough. She made it pretty plain that she wasn't impressed you were there six months ago either.

Spoiler: Visual Guide
    Show

Agent Oni

Looking Glass
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-06-16 at 06:18 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

BlueWizardGirl

Alex had promised her foster moms that she wouldn't lie to them anymore about heroic exploits. Yet here she was on a ferry to Bear Island to meet the five Warlords, the biggest villains of the city or at least their representative. Obviously she hadn't told them what she was doing, Chris was a cop after all, but Alex didn't think she really had a choice here. If the Warlords asked you nicely to meet it just seemed wise to make time and to be fair, she really was curious what they had to say. Depending on your viewpoint she hadn't really lied either. Sam was with her on the ferry and they were going to a restaurant or something like that. She wasn't her girlfriend though. She looked towards Sam, who stood at the railing looking out onto the dark waters as the reflection of the city lights behind them played over the exposed metal of her body. Alex joined Sam at the port side of the ferry and without really thinking about it took her hand and thought back to their little get together at Sarah's place. Maybe they already were more than just friends.

-------------

Alex took a deep breath and looked at the front of the Red Lantern Inn, "This is it, the lion's den, the dragon's lair, whatever you wanna call it I guess...thanks for being here with me Sam." And with that Alex stepped towards the entrance. The well dressed bouncers at the door let them in without issue and they were led to a table in the back, were they were left waiting. "So...what do you think they want from me...or us and how pissed do you think Zodiac will be when he finds out we met some of the five biggest super villains?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 3/5

"Honestly? Not a clue." Hive leans back against the wall, declining to take a seat. In her experience, most chairs do not survive half a ton of cyborg sitting on them, and Sam is not keen to further test this theory with another one she does not own. Motes of blue light drift through the entire shop, reflecting her anxiety as they erratically bounce from floor to ceiling, or, veering abruptly, hum around tables and chairs.

"I figured, if they did contact us, it'd be tell us to not bother them, or else. This..."

She shrugs with a volley of mechanical whines and hisses, slumping slightly further into the concrete. "I don't think, though, that Drake'll mind, as long as we don't actually sign up with them, or anything." Sam looks around, checking whether anyone has appeared, but, seeing no one, returns her attention to the table in front of her. With a faintly teasing tone, Hive asks the question that has lingered ever since yesterday. "So, uh, you and Sarah - is that a thing, or am I reading too much into it?"

Show
    I guess, kind of, that I'm trying to pierce the mask here, so I might as well roll for it. After all, Razade did say that he's generally in favour of making moves more times rather than less.

(2d6)[5]

Potential, which is good, I guess, although I don't want to be too gamey in milling potential for advances.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-06-17 at 04:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull

Alex took a seat, though fully understanding why Sam didn't. She grinned at Sam's question about her and Sarah, "Why? Are you jealous?", she teased back, but quickly went on to explain, "for real, there isn't anything between us, but I guess you caught that moment when we hugged? Ok...so here's the thing, I think Sarah uses the same shampoo as the first girl I loved and it brought some memories back." Alex paused a moment collecting her thoughts and where to begin, "Ok, so...I was 14, me and Lily where in a new foster home, the Karsons. Really nice family and they had a daughter my age, Lisa, we really hit it off. We both knew that we couldn't be together because the law says you can't snog your foster siblings. But we were young and rebellious and didn't give a **** and so we hid it and had our little secret affair. Went well for a couple of months and then, well...we got caught by her dad, got home early and walked in just as stuff got hot and heavy between us. Me and my sis were quickly thrown outta there and the Karsons turned out to be total lunatics. Claimed I had seduced their daughter and such. Lisa and I tried to stay in contact, but between her parents having an eagle eye on her and me going to juvie...", Alex stopped and looked at Sam, giving her a weak smile, "so...yeah, that's basically what came up when Sarah and I hugged and why I was a bit...fuzzy yesterday. But no nothing between us...sooo how about you...any relationship sob story you wanna share?"

Show

I feel like this qualifies for triggering my Team Move about sharing a vulnerability or weakness?
    If so: Influence to Sam (which means you get to shift Labels)
    and two Special Team I can spend to help Sam.

20. - Top - End - #80

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Afraid

It had been a long week, and not because of boredom. As Monday rolled around, Sarah had trudged off to school again feeling stiff, sore, and itchy. Her arms were still bandaged, so she had to wear long sleeves to school; fortunately it was already fall, so that sort of a fashion statement wouldn't draw too many looks. She would need to find an excuse to get out of P.E. though. Aside from that, her usual classes turned out to be dull, just as expected. By midweek, she was back to normal and tutoring her neighbor Ian. He had a math test that Friday, so Wednesday evening would be spent at the Lee's house across the street. They didn't get very far into his homework, since all the kid wanted to talk about was the Beach City Beatdown; not that Sarah could blame him. He'd watched the newsfeed of the battle over the weekend, but thankfully there either wasn't any circulating footage of Nuisance without her mask on, or she just wasn't a hero Ian wanted to talk about. He mostly chattered on and on about how cool Hive had been. Sarah couldn't help but agree, and eventually she broke down and gossiped about heroes with him. He'd do fine on the math test anyways. Probably.

The rest of the week was hectic, so Sarah didn't find much time to meet up with Carp. Samantha Carpinelli, aka "Carp" was Sarah's best friend. The two had been inseparable since middle school, but AP classes and a weekend job meant Carp's schedule had gotten a whole lot busier as high school started. They still occasionally hung out even in Junior year, but the times between their meetups had been growing longer and longer. Sarah didn't have a lot of friends, and definitely no romantic prospects, so that meant her evenings were usually spent alone thinking about when the team would next meet up and devising plans of what she could do to improve herself.

As Saturday rolled around, Sarah was ready to put her week's worth of ideas to the test. Normally, she'd spend most of Saturday managing the cash register at the Matthews' Pawn Shop, but this weekend her dad had requested some alone time at the store. It was somewhat unusual, but Sarah was so preoccupied with excitement at being able to start her training that she didn't ask questions. A quick hug and a promise to be home that evening and she was on her way out the door. Since her suit was still being repaired, the only things she could really work on were her crossbow and her own fitness issues. As the crossbow had mostly mechanical problems, it meant she'd probably be doing just one thing: exercise. It'd been a long time since her family had hiked together, and though superhero work was building up her muscles with grueling frequency, Sarah still needed to work out. Staying in shape was more than just a desire now, it was a necessity. Sarah was extremely aware of how much of a disadvantage she was already at when her entire team could already run, leap, or fly faster and farther than she could ever make it. Without the ability to invent stuff like her father could, this just meant she had to put in far more effort to try and keep up.

Thankfully, the local gym was always open. Let Freedom Reign wasn't the largest gym in the city, it just happened to be within a few blocks of her house and it was reasonably priced. Of course, part of the reason she (and most people) went to this particular gym was the clientele. It was one of those "enhanced" gyms, catering mostly to superheroes; but the average citizen was still allowed entrance via membership. Let Freedom Reign's fees were usually cheap and their services reflected that, but even Sarah could only afford the basic membership plan on the allowance she got for watching her dad's store. Still, Sarah liked seeing some of the lesser known heroes workout there before or after a shift. She even began training there when she'd first set her mind on using the QT suit to fight crime. She'd started to become something of a regular there, if only because they had just about everything there she could ever think of using.

As Sarah entered the lobby hauling her crossbow and a water bottle, she waved to the clerk at the front desk. Paul was on shift today, a younger man with dark hair who always seemed to wear a polo one size too small for him. Why were all gym employees so fit? Advertisement? He smiled, but stopped her as she approached.

"Hello miss! Welcome to Let Freedom Reign! Do you have a membership with us?"

Of course he wouldn't recognize her, not without the suit. Sarah had always worn it when she came in before, if only to help explain why she wanted to bring a crossbow onto the premises. That had been less of an issue than she would've suspected. Apparently, a super gym was the last place anyone wanted to cause trouble; superheroes tended to get exceptionally touchy when you messed with their downtime.

"Hey Paul. It's me, uh...Nuisance?" She said, carefully digging into her pocket for her membership card. She slid it across the desk to Paul, and he looked back and forth between her and the card. The gym allowed registration by your hero name so long as you paid membership fees promptly and in cash, but Paul didn't seem to have expected Sarah without her full hero getup. His face lit up with excitement, but it was quickly replaced with visible concern.

"Hey! Great job at the Weekly Herald! I...I didn't think you were a kid." He said incredulously. Sarah didn't know whether or not she should be insulted or flattered. Paul might've just had a really bad intuition when she'd first bought her membership pass from him.

"I'm just here to train, alright?" Sarah said sheepishly. "Maybe just some general fitness stuff in one of the downstairs rooms?"

"What happened to your suit? Was it that Arachne lady?"

"It's being washed." Sarah lied, her face instantly burning up with embarrassment. She tugged the sleeves of her windbreaker lower self-consciously; she didn't want him to see that her right arm was still bandaged.

Paul just nodded and pressed a button under the desk. An audible click sounded as the entrance doors unlocked and Sarah walked quickly into the gym.

"You can find some good equipment in the Gold Room today. Good luck, and keep at it!" Paul encouraged from the lobby as he watched her go.

The Gold Room? Sarah felt the quirk of a smile tug at her lips. Usually that was occupied by way more veteran heroes and hardcore workout enthusiasts. Was it really ok to use the private rooms? All Sarah had been able to afford was a basic membership pass that didn't let her do much beyond use the facilities and equipment. Was Paul just being nice, or was there some kind of member special today?

Signs pointed to member special, quite literally. Golden letters directed members of all tiers that they could use any of the facilities today, and Sarah could see why; The place looked oddly deserted for a weekend. Maybe she'd shown up at a weird time, or maybe there was some emergency downtown. Whatever the case, Sarah hopped quickly over to the Gold Room doors and yanked them open in excitement. Today was gonna be a good day!

Or it would've been if she wasn't so terrible at this. Even with all the fancy room settings (which she'd spent a good half hour playing with), Sarah couldn't figure out the ammo settings on her crossbow. It was easy enough to set it back to concussive bolts, but any further changes she'd have to keep track of in her head, like a mental wheel being rotated. After one or two switches, Sarah would simply get the rotation jumbled up and accidentally use the wrong loadout. It was beyond frustrating, and so Sarah tried moved on to physical fitness training. As she was not a workout buff nor a professional trainer, Sarah had no idea what she was supposed to work on. Legs and running for stamina? Lifting? Anaerobic exercises? That was a thing, and not a made up word, right? After a half hour, she was exhausted just from trying random things.

Exercise was definitely not as straightforward as just picking an activity and doing it. Was she making progress or setting herself back? There was no way to tell.

Suddenly, a voice behind her caused Sarah to jump. She quickly whirled around, ready to excuse herself from the premises in embarrassment, but stopped with a gasp when she laid eyes on Looking Glass. Why was she here? Looking Glass was way too big of a hero for this kind of place, and Sarah found herself unable to speak for a moment.

"You were watching?! Uh, I mean, come on in! I was just finishing up here." Sarah rushed over to gather up her crossbow and water bottle. She could hardly believe her luck today. Looking Glass was proud of her? How was that even possible!

"I-I really messed up that fight for the team, I think." She said, trying to respond to Looking's questions as best she could. "I got too close to Arachne, but I'll definitely do better next time!"

She stood, her equipment bundled in her arms and staring at Looking Glass. It's true the hero had been somewhat critical of her team before, but Sarah still couldn't help but admire seeing one of her heroes up close. She almost wanted to ask for an autograph, but she hadn't brought anything to write on.

"I think I'm done here though, you can have the room! Not sure what I was doing anyways."

Sarah very much wanted to see how someone like Looking Glass trained, but that seemed like an oddly personal thing to ask. Thankfully, she had enough awareness to realize that asking would come across as extremely creepy anyways.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Alex, Hive: The Red Lantern Inn

The Inn is slow, your area quite private and secluded from the rest of the crowd. One would imagine the place is much more lively (and dangerous) at night. There's certainly some stains on the wooden flooring and poorly painted walls that you wouldn't want to linger on. The conversation of course helps but you're not at it long. The approach is loud even without your enhancements, the looming figure scraping the ceiling. "You brought a friend." The gravely, six pack a day voice doesn't pose it as a question. Not even as an observation. Merely a fact. Dressed in black from head to toe, a leather apron that brushes the floor covering its front, what can only be described as six hummers stuffed in a child's t-shirt looms. Their face is obscured by a white skull mask, flat and non-reflective.

"Stand." Again, not said as a demand. Simply what will happen as you feel your bodies drag upwards outside of your will. From behind the imposing slab of person steps a young girl about your age. Dressed in smart clothing she looks very out of place, much more at home in some French cafe than a run down villain's bar in the wrong side of town. "Do." comes her chipper voice as the shadows pull around the table. If you weren't obscured before you are now as three more presences fill the space. There's no one there to relate to the sensation...but they certainly feel there. "We might have to ask your friend to leave, Alex, but for now it's a pleasure to meet you both. Hive and Alex of Goblin. My friend here is much too rude, the Cleric and Bard do make your acquaintance."

The young lady takes a seat, sweeping a hand forward. "Charmed, I'm sure." You've seen her before, this Cleric. She's gone to your schools (when you still went/could go) before. You know her real name. One of you give me a first name, one of you a last name.

Spoiler: Both
    Show
    You can, of course, roll...probably an Unleash...in this instance not to stand. I don't particularly care to narrate emotions/reactions when I don't have to. Especially when it's a compulsion.

Spoiler: Hive
    Show
    Mark a Condition for your miss. Might I helpfully suggest Insecure or Guilty? After all...is Alex being really open with you? Sharing all that information's nice but is it too much? A smokescreen?

Nuisance: Let Freedom Reign

Looking Glass gives a laugh, shaking her massive head before she slowly seems to almost recede into the mirrors and then...somehow steps through albeit at a normal human size. She's still quite tall, a few feet taller than you even. "I'm always watching you." The Hero finds a place to sit, watching you. It's impossible to see her expression, what with the blank mask, but her tone remains...teasing? Playful to be sure. She was like this at the Zoo. As if there was some joke you all were missing amid the chaos. If you could see her face it'd probably be punchable.

"Especially you. Call it morbid curiosity. The normal girl, the impossible girl. The girl who named herself a pest. The world should be watching you. But I'm probably enough for now."
    She motions for you to sit as well, before lazily propping her head up on her hand as she rests her elbow on...whatever there is to sit on in this hall of mirrors. "I thought you were a gonner for sure. Witches aren't easy and you fought two. But a next time. My aren't you brave? Fire Elementals, Witches, Zombies. What do you think you'll fight next, Impossible girl, and how on earth do you think you're going to fight it? How do you fight a storm?"

Spoiler: Visual Guide
    Show

The Cleric
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-06-18 at 05:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: -1
    • Freak: +0
    • Savior: +3
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: +0

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to
      - What or who do they care most about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?

Leftover stuff from Issue 1
    Show
    I think it makes most sense to shift Nuisance's Savior up and her Mundane down.

Issue 2: The 108 Star

Drake crows in his restaurant seat as the television sings his praises. He'd been paying extra attention to the news this week, as John Booth Daily had kept his promise to throw some positive spin on his team's last outing. Even Grandfather seems to be pleased - maybe the first time Drake's seen him pleased about anything. But, as he reaches for a plate of steamed pork buns from the passing cart, he catches sight of the approaching figures in the corner of his eye and he realizes that the old man is just pleased with himself. Aww carp! Not again! And, suddenly, Grandfather is gone.

Sighing, Drake shakes his head as Oni takes her seat. This is the third time he's pulled this stunt. At least he's not trying to set me up on a date this time, he thinks as a boy about his age slides in next to Oni. His eyes widen as a thought occurs to him. I mean, I hope he's not!

"Yeah... yeah," he says in answer to Agent Oni, playing off his surprise and coolly resting an arm on the back of his chair. That's right, maintain control of the situation. Except, you don't actually know anything about the situation. "I mean, not too much," he equivocates. "But maybe we should start at the beginning," he agrees, coughing lightly into a napkin. Smoooooth!

"I'm Drake Chang - Zodiac. And you're Agent Oni. And you're..." Drake's sentence trails off as he takes a good look at the other boy for the first time, realizing he recognizes him. He's that kid from AEGIS, the one that showed up after the Rumble in the Jungle. "Dauntless." Doesn't look like he's here to take another statement. What'd that old man get me into this time? Next time he gives me that 'favorite grandson' bullcarp, I'm gonna have something to say. Pssht! I'm his only grandson!

Doing his best to maintain some semblance of control over the situation, he leans back in his seat a little, taking a sip of pu-erh tea from his cup. "Tea?" he offers, gesturing to the teapot and extra teacups.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-06-18 at 11:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 4/5

Sam listens silently to Alex reminisce, remorse beginning to boil away in her gut. It is, she thinks, always easy to forget that her life has been kinder than her friends. Easy to ask personal questions without really considering what painful memories it might bring to the surface. She looks around the dirty shop, wondering how to reply to Alex's question. Her stories of un-requited crushes hardly compare to the drama of Alex's tragic love affair, of sorts at least.

"I..."

Then, and she inwardly lets out a sigh of relief, their contacts sweep in. Already standing, Hive says nothing and merely moves slightly, folding her arms across her chest. A thin coil of anger starts unfurl in her mind, her swarm buzzing and humming in sympathy. After all, it wasn't exactly long ago that they fought zombies and cultists atop a multi-storey in the biggest storm of the year. As attempts at intimidation go, this one needs to lift it's game.

"Is there a particular reason you want me to leave?" Sam asks, trying avoid sounding actively irritated with them. It is, she thinks, a fair question to ask, especially when talking to five of the biggest villains in the city. They hardly have a reputation for being reputable and above skullduggery, after all.

Show
    I feel slightly like Hive is going to ruin any chance of this being a civil meeting, but whatev's. I guess this is a second attempt to pierce the mask, this time on the Cleric:

(2d6)[5]

Which ends exactly as the last one did, no less...
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-06-18 at 05:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Holding Hive: 2

Alex was eager to hear Sam's response when they were interrupted as a large figure entered the room and made them stand...or at least Alex. She tried to fight it, but there was simply nothing she could do but be forced into an upright position. She glared at the tall figure, convinced that they must be the source. And then the Cleric appeared from behind their back and to her own surprise Alex recognizes her. Kaylee Harper, she's seen her before, at school, at the foster care center and some charity run event, if she remembers correctly.

"I like having Hive around though and whatever you're gonna tell me, I'm gonna tell her...so what do you want Kaylee Harper?"

Show

I didn't really mention this before, but Alex is still going to school. She's 16 bordering 17 and her fosters don't want her slacking off.

25. - Top - End - #85

Planetar

Dauntless

Ryan flips through the dossier one last time, though he isn't really paying much attention to the contents. Considering the transfer has been in the works for about a month now, he has basically memorized the entire thing in his head, and right now, he's more concerned about... other things. Namely, his new assignment, the state of "DRAGON" and San Fransapporo in general, how uncomfortable he feels in his suit (not The Suit, mind you. A regular, businessperson suit, plus a glove to cover up his left han) and how his sister would seriously murder him if he flubbed this up.

With a sigh, he closes the dossier. Meet up with Agent Oni, huh? Ryan has met Agent Oni once, though admittedly, it wasn't the most dignified of meetings. In one of his first assignments outside of Empire City, Ryan (as Dauntless) was supposed to extract Agent Oni, who was currently being held captive by a terrorist group. Details about their appearance was sparse, but it is known that they utilized all kinds of alien technology, and that caution is advised in engaging them

It was only when Dauntless actually touched down at the mission site that he found out the terrorists had a clown motif.

Ridiculous theming or not, the clowns did prove themselves to be formidable enemies, and it was only through sheer determination that Dauntless managed to rescue Agent Oni. Admittedly, she also did a lot of work once she got out of her manacles, but being caught by a clown-themed terrorist group still must've stung, especially since she's an experience AEGIS agent. To this day, Ryan still didn't know if Agent Oni agreed to be a handler out of respect for his capabilities, as a way to repay him saving her, or as a way to keep him silent about the "clown" part.

After the helicopter touched down, Ryan was promptly ushered into a car, where he was to be brought to Agent Oni. Really, what am I being all nervous about? Think of it like a job interview. Plus, his grandfather should be there with us, right? So that'll help things out. Piece of cake.

He lied. This wasn't going to be a piece of cake at all.

As Ryan walks into the 108 Star, the first thing he's greeted with is Sun Wukong- Wukong Industries' CEO- leaving his seat and just walking out the restaurant without saying a word to them. Well, there's one of my safety nets gone. Grrreat.

He takes a seat as well, but remains silent until Drake -One of DRAGON's members- addresses him and offers him tea. "Hey, no need to be so formal, y'know?" Ryan responded with a smile. "Just call me Ryan when I'm out of my other suit. And yeah, tea sounds good, thanks." Gingerly, he poured the pu-erh tea into one of the cups and took a sip, and immediately regrets it. Ugh, what is this tea made of? Dirt? Still, as to not appear rude, he chugs down the rest of his tea with a hardened, determined look on his face, before putting the cup down on the table again and continuing to talk, now with a more serious expression.

"I don't know how much your grandfather has explained to you, but we're here as part of a deal made by AEGIS and Wukong Industries. To give you a short rundown of it, AEGIS gets resources from Wukong Industries whilst cutting down on the small-time arms manufacturers in the city, and in return, Wukong Industries will help AEGIS out by using their contacts to better out PR. As part of a ''trial run" of this deal, I'm to join your team in exchange for ten shipments of weapon crates to AEGIS."

Ryan's expression softens as he continues talking. "Still, it isn't all business. I'm honestly pretty excited to join you guys; you all seem like good people. Kinda reckless, but good. You don't have to worry about me or AEGIS trying to take control of the team, either, so there's that. In fact, I think this deal will be in you guys' favor, really; you get access to AEGIS resources and other cool stuff with me on the team, as well."

Ryan then offers his right hand to Drake. "I want us to work together. Not with you as subordinates to AEGIS, but with us being equals. Is that fine by you?"

26. - Top - End - #86

Zombie

Nuisance

Sarah was having a hard time processing this, so her brain defaulted to compliance. She walked over to where Looking Glass indicated, plopping to the ground with her crossbow and water bottle still lumped into her arms.

Always watching me? Sarah thought uneasily. Uh, does that mean she saw all the Carmine Crane fanfiction I read...?

Sarah shifted uneasily as she laid her items down and crossed her arms over her knees. She wasn't quite sure what to make of Looking Glass. The woman was almost impossibly tall, so she had to crane her head back to try and look her in her featureless face. The whole of her costume was even somewhat unsettling, now that Sarah had gotten a close look. Still, this was one of the heroes of San Fransapporo that she'd admired, and she wasn't about to screw it up if she could manage. But why the insidious questions? What was this about a storm? Did she miss a Weather Report announcement? And what did she mean about Nuisance fighting two witches? It was just Arachne, right? The only other villain she'd really fought that day was Rook.

Oh. Suddenly the scythe flying and crow summoning seemed to make a lot more thematic sense. But wouldn't that mean Rook was on the cultists's side? Maybe Rook wasn't just a mercenary.

"It's...not about bravery." Sarah admitted as she rested her chin in her arms. She'd given up trying to look the hero in her face as her neck started aching. "I'm...not brave. I'm scared, even now with someone cool like you here. I just can't leave it alone, not when people are in trouble. You wouldn't watch someone die if you could stop it, would you? I mean, if I could've done something, anything, and I didn't? If I didn't give everything I had to even that one person? I'd never sleep again."

"But I'm not as good as the others are. I can't fly, or make tech-cannons from my chest, or jump off skyscrapers. I'm just...the normal girl, like you said. And that means I've gotta work harder than anyone else if I want to stay here."

"I don't know what's next, but I know I probably can't fight it, Sarah said, her fingers tightening their grip on her arms subconsciously. "I just can't repeat what happened last time. I've gotta be smarter, somehow."
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-06-19 at 05:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Alex, Hive, The Five Warlords: The Red Lantern Inn

"Sit." The Bard entones, mildly annoyed as the Cleric sighs at the pair of you and your bluster. The shadows growing more tight and thick until you find yourself in an otherwise black room. The presence or presences grow stronger until three figures made of the same shadow stuff grow distinct. The Bard moves to sit as well as the compulsion strikes you. The table is cramped with seven people but they make it work. "No one said you have to go yet, but we're not really interested in you or your group. We're just interested in Alex."

One of the shadowy figures raises its hand, an echo-y voice slowly sliding into the air like grease. "Not without endangering your well being. Harvester technology would be quite the catch. It harmonizes with our natural ley lines quite well but we're not interested in carving your friend up."

"Indeed" the Cleric is quick to join in, a hand on the table. "We'd thought you'd come alone Alex but your friend can hear us out. I suppose you'd tell your team anyway. We'd like to recruit you. Not full time of course but we have a job that needs done and it'd be best if none of us were involved. You understand. Call this a trial run, Goblin is making big gains in the city what with four of the ten Worst. It's only a matter of time until the others come sniffing at recruiting you. We'd like to get in early. You wouldn't have to hurt anyone, we just want you to go to a party being thrown later this week and steal something for us. Very simple. In. Out. Drop the item off and we'll probably leave you alone unless we need something discreet."

Spoiler: Both
    Show
    So, going to just go with you both sitting as commanded for your misses. No need to pile it on here.

Zodiac, Dauntless, Oni: The 108 Star

Oni holds her glass out slowly, bowing a little with a friendly smile. "We do know all of that, Zodiac. We were asking about...well yes. What Dauntless so very succinctly summed up for us." A swift kick under the table joins her words Dauntless, a look of "we don't make promises" shooting across the table as well. The carts, so plentiful as you sat down Zodiac have dried up. Even without Grandfather, it'd be normal for a few to pass by but a quick scan of the room indicates that the other patrons have taken notice of your guests.

And what an offer huh?

"We'd like to do a trial run of the trail run, you understand. Make certain that we're not wasting the resources that Dauntless will provide your team. We'd also like to discuss some...additional parameters as well but I think that'd be best with the rest of DRAGON present. Nothing demanding but Dauntless is an agent of ours and we'd like to make certain that your team won't be directly violating our interets in the city." Oni is quick to add, glancing around. "After all, the hope is to give us a better reputation. Bit peckish here.'

Nuisance, Looking Glass: Let Freedom Reign

"Maybe. Admirable you'd try anyway." Comes the answer to your first slew of questions. It's no secret that while Looking Glass is certainly a hero, she's not exactly always heroic. She especially seems to have a sore sport for authority figures, corrupt politicians and the like. "There's plenty of people will tell you that fear is the ultimate form of courage. I don't think emotions run like that but I think it's good you're afraid. Keeps you on your toes."

She scoffs at the rest, waving a hand as if to dismiss the very notion from the air. "You should slow down, take time to think things through. Use that smart head of yours like you're saying. Better than, can't do, what can you do? That's what you should be asking! Crossbows and phasing suits aren't your power. They're tools, if I took them away what would you do?" The question is a good one because the crossbow is suddenly yanked from your lap, a hand sliding from a nearby mirror as the sitting Looking Glass difuses away. Moments later she's on the top of one of the towers, your crossbow in hand.

"Now what, Impossible Girl?" Her tone is the same teasing, playful droll. You're out of your league, Nuisance and you don't have your weapons. What do you do?

28. - Top - End - #88

BlueWizardGirl

Now she was forced to sit and Alex was growing a bit tired and frustrated of their theatrics. The shadows grew even closer and the other presences, presumably the other Warlords were now obvious. She glared at the Bard as they spoke, weren't they supposed to be the charismatic ones? "You touch her, I touch you, no matter what fancy tricks you employ", Alex warned them. Unlike theirs, Alex words were meant as a threat, however empty it might be. She knew that she wouldn't really have a chance against the five Warlords, but that didn't mean she wouldn't be desperate enough to try if they crossed her the wrong way.

The Cleric brought forward their proposal and Alex chuckled when she finished, "Ok, now...why the hell would I do that? I'm on probation. If I get caught I'm ****ed."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 4/5

Sam regrets coming. Well, technically that is not true, she regrets both of them coming. Obediently sitting in tune to the psychic compulsion, Hive feels the inevitable collapse of the chair beneath her, the steel legs bowing outwards with slow, agonised screeching. Resting on the floor, she pulls the chair irritably out from under her, then shuffles back to lean against the wall.

Torn between anger and caution, the girl says nothing as the warlord's finish their lecture. Even to her mind, Alex's response seems confrontational, and Sam opens her mouth to say something, then closes it again, thinking better of it. After all, what does she know about dealing with criminals? Without really having any experience, her instinct to make non-comittal but polite noises till they leave might be utterly incorrect. Deciding to keep her mouth shut, Sam leans against the wall and waits.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Alex, Hive, The Five Warlords: The Red Lantern Inn

"If." Comes the previous disembodied voice. The others nod in agreement. "Mighty large word there, if. We're not amateurs Miss Blake, you'll be provided a burner identity and we'll have an extraction team at the ready to help pull you out if and when it's required." The others nod once more. None of them seem to notice or care that Hive has broken a chair. They don't really seem focused on Hive at all. They also seem rather nonplussed at the aggressive tone, rather expecting it. They did call you, after all, Alex.

"We really do need an answer though darlings." pipes Kaylee Harper, giving that oh so smug smile she's shot at you at you both at school. "We suppose" she drawls, finally motioning to the seven foot tall cyborg "she can come too. You'll want time to talk it over I suspect. The pair of you might just enjoy the chance to work together. Very fancy party, doubt either of you'd be able to get in otherwise. Up to you though." Her sing song tone continues as she finally stands. "And even if you do get caught, you'll be caught together. The Chill has very nice double rooms I hear. It really is a once in a lifetime offer we're giving you Alex. This could put you on the maps."

"We're willing to pay." Comes another voice, female very obviously and stern.

Kaylee's nose wrinkles at the interruption but nods. "Quite a lot actually. But as you know with these things...or maybe you don't. Price is negotiable. The Rogue does love a haggle."
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-06-20 at 06:17 PM.