New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masks: The Worst Generation (IC)

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Hive, Lan: The Pool of Urd

Silence once again answers save for the last fragmants of ice that fall from the ceiling. The AI is gone, the ship is buried but you know....you know it's there and waiting for beneath the ice its red hue pulses like the heart of an angry beast. The city beyond gleams in the evening sunlight, the skies above a bruised purple streaked with oranges and reds. A storm is brewing. You're not left to gaze off for long, footsteps crunching in the fallen ice behind you. Slow, deliberate and...who has three feet?

"Not good enough destroying the city, gotta come here and break my ceiling eh? Just got the blasted thing fixed." The voice is recognizable instantly, cold and sharp like a whip. Even before seeing her, you know. Lan, The Finch, has come. They are her mountains, after all. There's no kindness in her tone, there's not much of any emotion really. Just the usual scorn. "Have a seat, no use blowing up the whole mountainside."

From the ice, a chair more than fit for your form take shape, another across it much smaller forming soon after as Lan brushes past. She's short and not just because you're tall. Back hunched, skin wrinkled like old money and pale eyes still keen and sharp take stock of you as she sits. "Watched you walk around'em these last two days anyhow, rest. We'll talk when you get your barings, hellava thing, dyin'. 'Specially to some stupid machine."

Nuisance, Sangha: Curio

Sangha, Mr. Rodgers, watches and listens as he picks his nose in as bored a manner as one really can. "You're fire, girl. Fire" he finally says in as sage a tone as one really can. "It is nice, taking off that mask. I can see you now." Sangha waddles back from behind the counter and past you, cane tapping the ground loudly as he disappears behind some shelves. "You'll just mess up my system, and I don't want a beggar's money. Here, everything is where it is and not where it isn't. Makes things easy to find, I knew someone would come in for a mask today."

He's back in a flash. As much of one as an octogenarian can really be. A small black box in hand, quickly offered to you. "Bring it back, yes? It's not yours, not mine. Be the fire, girl. No one ever took notice of the wind unless it's too dangerous but everyone sees fire...even when it just keeps them warm." He offers a smile, laughter lines deep as his face crinkles up for a moment. "Now off with you, I've important customers coming and you best not be seen. Shoo, the place will turn to cinders with you here."

Once you've a moment to check in the box, a mask as requested lays inside. White and red with hints of gold, the mask is clearly cat themed though one probably shouldn't be surprised since it came from Sangha, The Tiger.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Dauntless
    Conditions: None

Ryan grimaced as he saw Tessa just run away from the scene. For a moment, he contemplated just giving chase to her, but he shrugged it off, considering that Alex's still roughed up from the fight with them. He walked towards Alex, offering her a hand so that he can pull her up. "Hey. Do you any need medical attention?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Insecure, Hopeless, Afraid

Alright, I get it. You can stop calling me poor now, you old jerkface.

Sarah took the box with a small word of thanks. She wasn't sure what to make of his advice or his comments on fire. Maybe he'd mistaken her for a different, arsony hero. Either way, Sarah heeded his request and headed out of the shop. In the milling crowd outside, she took a moment and stared down at the box as Sangha's words bounced around in her head.

Technically, this was a good thing. It meant she was halfway done with her Gala preparation and could now focus on what sort of clothes she could pair with the mask. She'd also gotten it more or less for free, so she wasn't any poorer now than she usually was (why did he have to keep mentioning that?). Still, she had no idea how valuable this thing was or why he'd suddenly decided to give it to her. Sarah hadn't brought anything but her school backpack, so she quickly tucked the box away safely next to her Lit I books and zipped it up. She'd gotten what she came for, but Sarah suddenly didn't feel like spending more time downtown. Instead, she made her way back through the crowds and onto the next bus home.

Her dad was surprised to see her return so early in the evening, but he was happy all the same. She thanked him for working on the suit and they chatted for a while about her day and what kind of mask she'd gotten. Mr. Matthews seemed to like the tiger aesthetic and even offered a variety of ideas about what kind of outfit would go with it (though sadly his fashion sense wasn't much better than her own). Sarah was never going to admit it, but it was nice to hang out with her dad for a while after the kind of day she'd had. She was also very thankful she hadn't gotten a second part-time job with Sangha, as that would've been an awkward topic to broach. He probably would've allowed it, but her dad had very specific rules about running big decisions by him first; at least until she was older, though when that arbitrary bar would be cleared remained a mystery. Still, Sarah gave him a hug as the evening came to a close and went upstairs to try and plow through some of her homework before turning out the light and collapsing into bed.

Her bedroom was dark and quiet until a distant boom announced the oncoming storm outside. Sarah waited for a while until it became apparent that she wasn't falling asleep. After another moment, she reached over, pulled the mask out from the box, and held it over her head. In the evening light, she could just make out the colors and contours as she gazed at it, lightly tracing the eyes with her fingers. The mask was very pretty; Sarah was definitely glad she'd gotten it. Still, Sangha's words kept haunting her thoughts, and she couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to go wrong. The more she stared at the mask, the more she felt certain of her own fate. If there was one thing Sarah had learned at all over the last six months, it was this:

"I'm gonna end up losing you, aren't I." She whispered. "That sounds so very...me."

Losing something she borrowed would be extremely uncool. Sarah sighed in resignation before rolling over and placing the mask back in its box. Maybe tomorrow she'd see about the rest of her nonexistent Gala outfit. For now though, sleep seemed to be just what she needed.

4. - Top - End - #154

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Guilty
    Potential: 3/5

Alex took the offered hand let herself be pulled up with a grown. She didn't know when the last was she had gotten so beaten up. Probably never, unless you counted the car crash, which Alex didn't. She gave the unknown man a bloody grin when he asked her how she was doing, "Nah...I'm self medicating...only hurts when I breathe, I've been worse." Not exactly a lie considering how Alex got her powers. "Don't s'pose you gotta smoke? Or...like a whiskey or something?", Alex said as she sat down on one the chairs that didn't get broken in the fight, looking around the chaos and destruction. "Well...guess I got some explainin' to do...cause this", Alex said and made a wide gesture, "100% gonna get blamed on me, back into the system I guess...or worse..."

I guess that's it with the stay at the Coopers as well...was fun while it lasted though, Alex thought to herself. The Coopers were nice, very nice even, but would they really want someone living with them who had a crazy ass nemesis hunting her and her loved ones?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Alex, Dauntless, Miss Clementine: Inside

The footsteps approach quickly before coming to a halt. The school door slides open and Miss Clementine hurries in, it is her classroom after all. Frizzy orange hair, lab coat and mom jeans, Miss Clementine is the AP Chemistry teacher and head of faculty for the school. She's known as a scatter brain, the room you're standing in having more than its fair share of "lab accidents". With all the chemicals around it's lucky the fight didn't go much worse.

"What's the meaning of this!?" Her voice does little to help her nerd-y persona, nasal and reedy. "Oh my stars, look at my wall!!" she wails, rushing to inspect the very Alex sized hole before turning on the both of you. "Explain." She's not very menacing, standing there in the rubble looking more like a confused child than the adult figure she actually is.

Sangha, Starling: Curio

The panels linger in Curio even as Nuisance leaves. Sangha lets out a low sigh as he pulls out a cigarette. "Guess you'll be going to the Gala too, cub." he mutters through a cloud of smoke. A door chime rings somewhere within the store, the sound effect rolling through the panel in a drawn out manner. It's important to note, there was no door chime for Nuisance. Another teen, dressed smarty in a suit with slicked back bleach hair, steps within. "Excuse me" he starts though is quickly interrupted as the panel darts to Sangha once more.

"We're closed." Sangha drawls, squinting at the young man before motioning to a sign. It wasn't there before but sure enough, the Curio is closed. "I...that's not important." the young man replies as he pulls out a badge. Clearly etched is the symbol of the Spring Court, a stylized starling interposed as a personal effect. "As a member of the Courts, I am free to go where I suspect a crime is being committed. I trailed a possible villain into your esta-"

The young man is once more cut off as Sangha leaps over the counter with agility heretofor unseen. He can't much loom, shorter by a hand or two than the younger man, but behind him the shadows draw into a mighty beast. The youth is not to be outclassed it seems, a gun of crackling bright energy forming in one hand and pointed at Sangha's head. "I just want to know what she purchased, and I'll leave you to your trinkets." The young man is firm, staring the beast down but it seems to have little effect on Sangha who only laughs that dry, sardonic laugh.

"Kindling."

Odette, Minerva, Antigone: Bonfire

The above words remain as the panels turn to black before changing to a flame. The panels slowly pan out to reveal a massive fire, around which six seats are placed. The location of said flame is hard to determine as impenetrable dusk shrouds anything nearby. Odette is first through the gloom, huffing into a seat. She's been crying, for a long time it seems, as mascara lines run down her cheeks. "Can you believe it?!" she sobs to someone or someones unseen as she starts to undress. "Another girl! Another! I've been chasing and chasing and hoping and all this time he's just...flaunted it!" Her body is wracked with another bout of sobbing.

"Maybe it's time to get over him. He's not worth your time." A second figure steps from the gloom. Chubby with round cheeks and curly brown hair, large glasses dominate their face. She'd probably look better if it weren't for the oversized cloak about her shoulders and sandals with socks. "Or you could just tell him how you feel, you're both going to the party. You know your job, so just confess there. Should keep the dragon distracted and out of our hair." Her tone is dispassionate but not cruel as she takes a seat next to Odette. She awkwardly tries to give the much prettier girl a pat on the shoulder but Odette recoils. She's about to say something before another figure steps out from the coming darkness.

"You've really no sense for the romantics, Minerva. You can't ask a Princess to just tell her Prince how she feels. It ain't right." The third girl is slim and petite with cunning practically oozing out her dark brown eye, the other covered in a medical eye patch. Blonde hair is tugged back into a messy topknot, black hoodie tight on their athletic frame. "She gave that secret to the fire anyway, she couldn't speak it if she wanted. You know what The Matron said."

Both girls frown, nodding a little. "I just...I'm tired of the games." Odette says meekly, falling into more soft weeping as the third girl sits next to her. "It'll be over soon, you'll see. You're going to knock him off his socks at the Gala. Just...stop crying, we've got business to discuss."

"Antigone is right. No sense of crying about it, where's Tessa? They should have been here by now." Minerva interjects.

"Caught up at school and laying low. Couldn't help themselves getting into another fight. She's going to be the death of us, that one." Antigone opines, shaking her head quickly. "I just want it remembered I was against their inclusion in this little gambit. Whose ever heard of a male Witch anyway?"

Any further comment however is silenced as a buzz emanates from Odette's pocket before her ringtone wails. "If I can't have you, no one ever will" is as far as it gets before she snatches it out and into view.

"So about that Gala..." the text reads. The three girls all glance at one another.

"Looks like we're on, then." Antigone chirps before the panel goes black.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-13 at 06:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 5/5

It takes Hive longer than a "minute or two", to get her bearings, flopping heavily into the chair without really noticing it, or Lan. After perhaps five minutes have passed, she shakes herself like a dog, looks up at the sky, then over at the other woman.

"Sorry, I was, y'know, distracted," she says, vaguely gesturing at the rubble around them. Looking over at Lan, Sam seems to put two and two together for the first time, blinking in surprise. Stiffening, she pulls herself more upright, sitting up in the seat. Hands curl up into fists, then unfurl themselves again, folding neatly across her lap. Nonetheless, there is still an emptiness in her voice, a quiet that suggests that not all of her is quite with the conversation yet.

"You knew I was going to find that, didn't you?" Hive looks over at Lan, eyes narrowing slightly, voice returning almost to normal. "Did you leave that there specifically for me to find?" Sam is not angry, not yet, feeling too empty, too confused for that emotion yet, but she suspects she ought to be. Shifting slightly in her seat, feeling the ice grind against her arms and back, she waits for an answer.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Suddenly occurred to me that this should be a pierce the mask. Rolled in the OOC thread here.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-07-14 at 03:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Lan nods slowly, watching you from her own seat. "Yeah...dyin'll do that." she agrees, frowning a little as she watches you stiffen. "No need to worry child, I'm not here to fight ya. Whatever gumption you an yers have against the Report's on the mainland." The questions take her off guard, the frown growing deeper. "Naw...not at first. We were gonna move it, ya know. Big ugly thing sitten in my lake. But then you and that friend of yours showed up an' the others got all uppity. I'm a busy woman ya know? Then you started climbin' the mountains an...figured you was commin' for it. Here we are."

She sweeps an arm about the room, more thunder sounding off in the distance. "An you gave me a skylight again. S'not important now I guess. It'll help movin that thing I suppose. An we're gonna move it. Somewhere deep, lead lined, and far from the city. So it can't ever hurt no one ever again. Won't save you though will it? Think we both know that. Yer as good as gone but Ol'Lan's been watchin more'an just a giant robot stomp'n through her mountains. Oh yes. Thing's been here goin' on some time now, submerged in my lake. It don't like the waters, breaks the metals down. Kills them Harvesters yer housin, kills all them little circuits. Now you'll ask why I didn't come fer ya, after I figured it out. Thing is..."

Lan looks at you, sullen, before looking at the lake.

"It'd kill ya too. Dead's dead. No point in pullin' ya out of all that stuff you got on you if you can't get free...but yer here now and the end is close. Lan slowly pulls a cigarette from her pocket, letting it hang in her withered lips. "Comin' for me too...so why don't we make a deal, eh? The Lake's power...it can only be held by a single person atta time. All that healin', all the magic. If I died and you took a dip...the magic'd free you...but it couldn't help keep you alive without all them nanobots. If we go together though...jus' you an me. The Lake...s'a Innominate of some manner. A link between worlds. Every last person what died from the cold...they linger beyond it. We die, my magic. Yer old body and...someone else. Someone else walks outta that pool...jus'as I did so long ago."
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-14 at 05:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

Planetar

Dauntless

"Nah, sorry. Don't have any smokes with me," Ryan said as he helps Alex back up again. "Though, honestly, I'd be more concerned about your well-being if I was you. You sure you're going to be fine? Don't worry about getting in trouble with authorities though; I'm sure that whatever you did is peanuts compared to attempted murder-"

Then Miss Clementine rushes in went into a blind panic.

Ryan sighs at the sight. "Well, then, at least we got this over with." He walks towards Miss Clementine, and with his best attempt at a a calming voice, he says; "Alex got into a fight with another student of this school. I don't know who started it, but what I did see was that the other student punched Alex through a wall, and that she almost tried to kill Alex with a lance. I don't know where she is right now, but that's what I saw before I stepped in, at least."

Spoiler: DEFEND
    Show

Escalating the situation, but also taking Influence over Alex.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 0/5

Hive pauses before she responds, even if she knows what she has to say. Looking out over the city, Sam takes a moment to let the images sink in, to remember what this second looked like, how this moment hung together. Then she nods to herself, looking back at Lan and clearing her throat with a rough sound. There is a redness around her eyes, but her voice is quiet and determined.

"I'm sorry," Sam says quietly, surprised to realise her own sincerity, "about your sickness. At least, this time, there'll be life after death. Something to believe in."

Silence lingers for a few moments more, then she heaves herself stiffly upright. "They'll be worried about me, after two days. I need to get back. We should stay in touch. I don't imagine that you have a cellphone," she adds, with something that is almost a smile, "so what's the best way?"

Looking at the other woman, Hive is struck by how much shorter she is, how much thinner and older. Some part of her wonders what her team will make of this meeting, what Alex - oh god, what will she say to Alex - and a wave of loneliness hits her like hammer. But still, looking at the city with a sudden, fearful urge to be back, Sam stands stiffly, almost waiting to be dismissed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Another post that was a pig to write, but I think I'm almost happy with it. Still, it's done now.

10. - Top - End - #160

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull

"Dude...I said I've been worse. give it a bit and I'll be as good as new once my bots patch themselves back up. And well, I don't have the best track record with authorities..."

Said "authorities" appeared as if summoned by that statement in the form of Miss Clementine. Not the most threatening figure, but considering Alex had just evaded impalement by spear, nobody would really seem all that scary right now.

Her savior began explaining the situation and once he had ended Alex added to that, "It was Tessa Black and it's they/them pronouns. I think they're enby. Anyway...they threatened me and my friends, then they attacked me and my friend Elena Lopez,..."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:
    1 (Scene Change. Up from 0)

Lan finally lights her cigarette as you go silent, in no real hurry and with no real desire to pressure you into moving faster than you need. She tuts at the apology, shaking her head quickly. "Don't be sorry. Lived a nice long life. Longer'en I ought. This body was old an sick long afore I got it. Lived a good life, girl. Lived a good life. An I reckon it's just time. Tired, girl. Tired of it all." She stands, slow and with effort, in a cloud of smoke. She cackles at the presumption however, moving to whip out one of the latest and snaziest models of phone from between her breasts. "I'm three hunderd and seven, jus' cause I'm up here on my mountains don't mean I don't get out. Own all the hospitals in this town! Gotta stay in contact, now here. You give me them digits and I'll call ya."

Once done, she hobbles over to the edge of the pool, nodding you over. "Yeah, you best git. Not afore you take a swim though. Water's should keep all them nasties from takin over agin. You got time." She reaches for you, as you draw close, trying to take your much larger hands in her own. Her touch is cold, colder than your own, and frail. She looks up at you with eyes filled with experience and a depthless sorrow. "The world ain't fair, girl. You done got a bad hand. But you're lucky too. You got friends to help you through this. I want you to promise me, even though yer dyin that you'll live like you ain't."

No matter your answer, there's really only one thing left to do. The Pool of Urd stands before you, silent and placid and as smooth as glass. The water is cold even for you and the deeper you go, the colder it gets. It steals your breath, it steals your heat and you can feel pain screaming from every nanite you've got within you. Visions of winter flash before your eyes, avalanches and ice ages eons long but within the cold you see the promise of spring. The cold is harsh but beautiful and when you're out of the waters, you're alone.

Take a Doom, the Pool of Urd will claim you and Lan in time. Take a Doom Sign, even a simple dunk in the Pool has revealed a sliver of what is to come for you.

Go home. Your friends miss you.

Dauntless, Alex: Inside

Miss Clementine hurries about the room as the both of you explain your case. She really only seems to be half listening as she navigates the rubble and mutters to herself. You hear "they'll have to give me tenure for this" before she whirls on you. "So what you're saying is this isn't your fault? I don't know about that." Miss Clementine isn't the most...there..at the best of times and you can see the gears turning in her head.

"Alex." She wheels on you instantly. You're known as a trouble maker and even if Miss Clementine has been sweet to you, your reputation precedes you. There's no doubt she believes you were the victim here but she also needs to punish someone. And you're the only one standing here, claiming to be involved. "I want you in here for the next week helping me sort my chemicals. Bright and early, starting tomorrow. Are we clear? I'll also be calling your parents tonight."

With that she moves to her desk to put it all in writing, the pink slip slamming on to the table like it was made of concrete. "And you're the new boy...Ryan...Seveus? I'll be keeping my eye on you. One day in already involved in fighting? I hope this is a fluke, we've got enough trouble makers around here." With that, she's out of the room. The matter concluded.

- - - Scene Break - - -

The Gala is two days away.

Thursday was a blur. The storm that blew in on Wednesday has stayed, drenching the city with much needed rain. As it's almost Thanksgiving Season, the Sharks (also the name of the school's less than stellar football team) are playing their last game against their long time rivals from Tempest High. The Reavers. In twenty years, Dyamis High has yet to beat the Reavers in football and this year seems no different. The school has an air of dejection, sadness and a little self loathing. Even if the day's gone quickly, it's more a relief than anything else. No one wants to be at the school to hear the constant attempts at talking the team up. There will be plenty in attendance all the same, Dynamis High supports their teams even when they know defeat is looming. But let's talk about the rain, least we bore our readers with the sports column much longer.

The Weather Report says that it should be sunny and warm for the Gala, an assurance from all four at the top but rumors like flies have started to swarm over the rotting carcass that is the internet. There was no rain predicted at the Rumble at the Jungle but the hole torn open by Kobold or Orc or Bugbear or Goblin or whatever their name really is gave the city almost a week of unstoppable storms. The same machine built by Arachne at the Weekly Herald seems to have had less effect but many are quick to place the latest storm upon their (and Orc's) shoulders.

Other theories however, have circulated. The idea that this is a ploy by the Weather Report to garner more power in the city is omnipresent, their popularity on a slow decline. Others claim that it's the continued work of Kobold as they seek to undermine the powers that be. Yet others, a fringe, claim that it's the work of someone else. Some weather related villain. In the darkest parts of the web there is talk of black birds and whispers in the thunder, a voice that speaks to the disenfranchised, a howling gale of fury. Of wrongs left to fester, of grudges as old as the city, that a force beyond reckoning is rising with each successive downpour. A hero, to wash the filth and corruption of San Fransapporo into the bay with all those who hold the system up.

In these darkest corners, they call him The Crow. The Storm Sovereign, The Tempest Tyrant. They connect seemingly meaningless and absurd theories to this legend. The price of rice, the rising and lowering cost of gas at the pump, what various heroes are wearing in their day to day. Needless to say, it's the ravings of conspiracy theorists and the criminally insane.

None of it has baring on you. As evening falls and the storms remain unrelenting, a team meeting is called.

Who called the team meeting

Where are you meeting up

How do you get in contact with one another, when you want to meet up?

Who arrives first? Who arrives last?
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-14 at 08:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

The sky above is the colour of cement, but Mortiz's is warm and cosy. In one corner of the main room, a gas imitation fire place crackles, while a small crowd consume smashed avocadoes on toast, or pick up soy-milk lattes to go. The interior is decked out in brick, painted white or left in their natural red, with the ceiling panelled with intentionally rough wood. Fake wool sacks hang from non-structural wooden beams, and a sign over the coffee machine says "100% fairtrade and organic". A barista with ear piercings, suspenders, and a crisp white shirt is serving coffee, but his smile is surprisingly genuine.

Most customers are wearing the drab business suits that mark out government personnel, and several have earpieces. In one corner, a young woman with green skin, her hair weaving around his head like snakes, is reading the paper. She purses her lips over the world section, inspecting the article entitled "Jade Circle Bombing in Bandar Naga" with a shake of her head. Her snakes rustle to themselves, then settle back down. Meanwhile, behind the bar, a few alcoves lead off the main section. Strangely, the figures inside seem oddly blurred, and you can't quite put your finger on who they are, or what they might be saying. A sign over the seats says simply "privacy", in large black letters.

Inside the furthest of these booths, a cooling Chai Latte sitting un-drunk in front of her, Sam sits. On the other side of the table is Impact. The older villain-turned-hero's black hair is now spattered with grey, even if their form is as muscled as ever. As Hive sees Drake walk towards their established rendezvous, she points him out her honorary mother, and the two stand.

Stepping outside the alcove, Impact gives a short little-nod to Sam's team-mate, then steps in closer to her. The two embrace, although Hive's body towers over the other, and Impact's arms cannot reach fully around her armoured form. They break away as Drake approaches, leaving him to catch the last snippet of their conversation.

"-just isn't fair Sam, hasn't ever been for you. But you knew that already, didn't you..." She smiles with a false brightness at Zodiac. "I'll just get in the way of you young folk talking, so I'll be off." Fending off any attempts to impede her departure, she hurries away, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue produced from inside her voluminous hand-bag.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-07-17 at 12:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac
    Potential: 1/5

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    [LIST][*]Danger: -1[*]Freak: +0[*]Savior: +3[*]Superior: +1[*]Mundane: +0

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    [LIST][*]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential. [*]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
    - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
    - you keep your attacker’s attention[*]The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to
    - What or who do they care most about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?

Stepping off the Phoenix Way, Drake throws the white hood of his sweater halfway up his head, leaving a tousseled thatch of black hair uncovered. His backpack, garishly emblazoned with the toothy maw of a cartoon shark, hangs slung over one shoulder (Drake is on a one-man mission to bring single-strapping back into style. Let none say that he knows not how to tilt at windmills.) and he pays the rain no mind as he makes his way toward Moritz's a few blocks from the metro station.

Shouldering open the door to the small cafe, Drake wipes the rain from his forehead. Catching the eye of the green-skinned girl in the corner, Drake smiles and gives her a wink. The girl rolls her eyes and tosses her head, making a show of being unimpressed. Drake clutches at his heart dramatically, a mortal wound struck. The corner of the girl's lip quirks, but she pointedly snaps her paper back up, breaking the line-of-sight. Some things never change.

Chuckling to himself, Drake makes for the bar when Impact appears from an alcove and waves at him. He quickly places an order for a chile mocha and makes a beeline for the alcove. But as he picks up the last words of a conversation, he suddenly wishes he hadn't. He raises an eyebrow as Impact leaves, and slides into the alcove. Drake pulls out a chair but stays standing. "What was all that about?"
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-16 at 06:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, well, nothing much," Sam says automatically, not meeting Drake's eyes, standing next to her old chair and looking at her latte without really seeing it. She sits down with a sudden thud, grateful that Moritz's has reinforced chairs for people like her. Reaching for her cup, Sam carefully hooks an oversized finger through the handle, and raises it halfway to her mouth, but she will have to tell them, and the later it is left, the worse the telling will become.

The cup pauses in mid-air, and Hive raises her eyes to look at Zodiac slowly, hurriedly settling on a plan. "Well, actually, I guess I should tell everyone about it. I'll," she says, trying to pick words that don't say too much, or to little, "say my thing after whatever it is that we're here to discuss." Bringing her cup up to her mouth, Sam takes a sip, before making a face and setting the stone-cold beverage down on the saucer with a ceramic click.

"What is this 'important business' anyway?" she questions, trying to move the conversation back onto safer ground.

15. - Top - End - #165

Planetar

Dauntless

Ryan was approaching the location texted to him by Drake. He tried to be more punctual, but a mime-themed gang just had to attempt to rob a jewelry store and he got sidetracked by them. And by that, I meant that he got into the DAUNTLESS armor, brought the mimes to justice, got out of the DAUNTLESS armor, and still had to change clothes afterwards. Typical, really.

Arriving at Mortiz's, he nonchalantly (outwardly, at leas) opens the door and is visibly relieved that only Sam and Drake are there. He takes a seat, greeting Drake. "Hey, Drake. Thanks again for doing this." He then turns his attention to Sam. "Hey there. You're Samantha Hayes, right? I'm Ryan Serdas. It's a pleasure to meet you."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac
    Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

Show

Show
    [LIST][*]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential. [*]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    - you keep your attacker’s attention[*]The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to

As Drake opens his mouth, the answer to Sam's questions walks right in. Drake pokes his head out and waves Ryan over.

"Ryan's a..." Oh boy. He really should have rehearsed this part or something. "New recruit. Prospective! Prospective recruit."

Clenching his teeth and holding his breath, Drake looks up at Hive, carefully watching her reaction.

17. - Top - End - #167

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Insecure, Hopeless, Afraid

School had gone by quickly enough, though Sarah couldn't remember catching Carp for one of their daily conversations. She hadn't actually seen Carp at all since yesterday, which was strange; the girl had near perfect attendance. Granted, with how distracted Sarah had been lately, it was entirely possible that she just wasn't paying attention and had missed her friend. She'd have to catch up with her tomorrow. For now, Drake had called a team meeting after school.

Changing was easy, Sarah just found a public restroom on the way to the bus stop and put on her suit in the stall when no one else was in there. She then waited until the coast was clear and phased out of the back. Outside, she then pulled her school clothes and shoes out of her suit, grabbed her backpack from where she'd stowed it nearby, and headed off to wait for San Fransapporo's renowned public transportation system to arrive.

Waiting for the bus was torture. Sarah stood there (in full costume with her backpack on no less) growing more embarrassed by the minute as people passed by. Thankfully, it was San Fransapporo, so a girl in a weird suit wasn't entirely unusual. Even so, enough people had stopped to stare that it was beginning to make her self-conscious. Was it the news of the Gala attendees? Were people starting to recognize her? Sarah briefly considered phasing into the ground, but then a small boy sitting at the bus stop with his mother turned and pointed at her.

"Mommy, mommy! Look! What's that?"

His mother glanced over at the young hero seemingly unfazed. Sarah nervously held up a hand in the V sign as the woman examined her. Seemingly content with her findings, she turned back to her child with all the matronly enthusiasm she could muster for her little guy.

"She looks like a cosplayer, Lucas! I bet there's a convention in town."

Sarah groaned quietly to herself as the mother kept talking animatedly to her son about geeks and costume design. So much for everyone looking at her because of the Gala attendance leak.

Well, maybe it's not so bad. At least I can get a quiet window seat on the bus now that everyone thinks I'm just a girl in a costume. I mean, I am a girl in a costume but...Hey, wait. I wonder if I could attend the next Capecon dressed like this? Oh! And If I'm famous by then, I could enter the cosplay contest as me! I mean, I think I can pull of a pretty good impersonation of myself, all things considered.

Eh. I'd probably still lose to some girl whose visor lights up and has functional mechanical limbs. Actually, that'd be pretty cool...I wonder when tickets go on sale, I might have to cancel my gym membership for that month.

Her thoughts were only interrupted by the arrival of the bus. Sarah tried finding a quiet window seat, only to be approached by the quizzical boy from earlier. Apparently, his mother had encouraged him to go talk to the strange, geeky lady about her costume while she watched. Sarah was tempted to shoo the kid away, but the snot-nosed brat was actually kinda cute. Before she knew it, they were talking about superheroes and costumes and superpowers. The kid didn't have a lot of knowledge about the caped community, but he was a captive audience as Sarah talked up her favorite heroes and moments. When she finally arrived at her stop, Sarah waved goodbye to the toddler and his mother and began her quick trek across the three blocks it would take her to get to Moritz's.

As she opened the door, she was immediately greeted by the warm smell of coffee. Sarah never drank it herself, but she loved the scent of it all the same (except when it was on someone's breath, that was just gross). Sarah quickly weaved her way through the government looking types and tore her gaze away from the snake-lady as she made her way towards the room in the back. This was no time to gawk at the patrons, there was team business to attend to. She was likely the last person there anyways. It took her a few moments to find the right privacy booth where the rest of the team was, but she stepped inside and seated herself in the first spot available.

The first thing she noticed was that no one had their costume on. Granted, neither Hive nor Alex wore costumes anyways, so it was mostly Sarah noticing Drake wasn't wearing his costume.

"Aw man!" Sarah grumbled, setting her backpack down beneath her feet, "I didn't know it was gonna be a casual meeting. What's up, guys?"

It took her a second to notice the new addition to their crew, and Sarah did a double take as she finally registered Ryan's presence.

"Woah!" She jumped, balling up her hands nervously. There'd been no indication that it was going to be a public meeting. A few awkward moments passed as her brain tried to think of something witty, but there would be no luck in that department.

"Hi!" Sarah chirped suddenly, unsure what else to do but mind her manners. "I'm Sa-Nuisance! I'm Nuisance. You've got a pretty cool metal arm! Are...you here for the meeting too?"
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-20 at 09:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Sam straightens up slightly as Ryan approaches, pulling her back against the seat. She throws Drake a look, asking a question without words. He answers hurriedly, and Sam turns her attention to the 'noob'. He seems pleasant enough, ordinary looking with an ordinary smile, except for that metal arm. Her eyes flick over to the other boy again, giving Drake a curious look. A small part of Hive wonders whether Drake is trying to set her up, before she dismisses the thought. That didn't seem his style, and, anyway, he was probably smart enough to guess that he'd be needing a prosthetic if he tried that.

Dismissing thoughts of blood-shed and pivoting back to Ryan, Sam looks at him oddly when he greets her with her full name. Clearly not an ordinary kid, then. Her eyes flicker over the suits scattered around the room, sipping their drinks, then back at him.

Ah.

Filing that under 'ask about later', and him under 'poor sod', she leans slowly back against the seat, replying to his question with a composed expression hiding her internal smile. "Nah, I'm Sarah Hayes. Sam isn't here yet. Although, here she comes now.."

Gesturing at Nuisance stepping through the door, Sam demurely reaches for her cup, carefully not meeting Drake's eyes. It meant be a little mean of her, but she's sure that Ryan will survive a little light trolling. Anyway, serves Zodiac right for not telling the rest of the group before inviting him. Which means that she'll be doing her little thing in front of a complete stranger. The sick feeling lurking in her gut grows a little larger, unpleasant writhing and twisting, and she has to concentrate on calming her nanites for a moment, preventing them from trying to swarm the stranger.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-07-19 at 11:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

Drake feels a flare of irritation at Hive and opens his mouth to say something when the real Nuisance blunders in, dressed in full costume. She's real serious about this secret identity thing.

Taking a seat, Drake turns his attention to Ryan, ready to watch the show unfold. He wasn't sure what Hive was up to with her little game, but it could be informative to see how Ryan would react.

20. - Top - End - #170

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull

Alex was late. Of course she was, Miss Clementine, as sweet as she usually was, really wasn't when it came to the tidyness of her chemlab and Tessa and Alex and wrecked havoc on that. Unfortunately Alex was the only one stuck fixing the mess. That wasn't the only trouble Tessa had gotten Alex in. She had to hear more than one worried lecture from her foster moms, at least they believed her story and quickly got her a new phone, so Alex had already sent a group chat message, warning the others about Tessa and that they should be on the lookout for them.

So Alex came barging into Moritz's, drenched from the rain and clearly hurried, rudely brushing past a woman who was just drying a tear in the corner of her eyes. Alex mumbled a, "Sorry", and then looked for the rest of them in the café and found them promptly. The first thing she noticed was, that the guy that had stepped in between her and Tessa was also there, Small world, huh? and then she saw Sam and Alex felt a tight knot in her chest. Last time they spoke, Alex had said some bad things, things she regretted and needed to apologize for. If Sam was even interested in that, they hadn't even chatted the past two days. Sighing heavily, she tried her best to somwhat fix the wet dog look she had currently going on and then walked towards the group.

"Hoi All, sorry I'm late...had to do school stuff. Y'all got my message about Tess?", then she put a hand on Ryan's shoulder, "and I see you already met the nameless white knight who jumped selflessly in to defend the fair maiden (me)...jokes aside tho, what the **** are you doing here?" While Alex spoke with everyone her eyes constantly darted over to and lingered on Sam, trying to gauge her reaction to seeing her again after their, admittedly one sided fight.
    Last edited by Sahe; 2018-07-21 at 04:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Planetar

Dauntless

Ryan stared at Sam with a deadpan look plastered on his face for a while, though it's clear that he isn't offended by her trying to mess with him for a bit. Well, I might as well play along for a bit then, huh? Deflate the tension? "Ah, yes, sorry, Sarah. I kinda mistook you for Sam over there," Ryan said whilst trying-and failing-to keep a straight face, before turning around and waving at Nuisance. "Speaking of, hi there, Sam. Speaking of, are you two snerk sisters? I never heard about it on the news, so-"

Ryan's little charade is interrupted by Alex putting her hand on his shoulder, and he chuckled nervously after hearing what Alex's saying. "Yeah, sorry about that. Kinda forgot. I'm Ryan Serdas, and I'm apparently being considered as a prospective recruit for your team by Drake."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Fascinating. Sam laughs quietly at the suggestion that Sarah, no Nuisance, she needs to stop using the other name in public, or near public, is her sister.

"Yeah, and Alex here is a Spanish princess." She puts her cup down slightly, looking at him curiously. "Sorry, I shouldn't try and mess with you on our first meeting. But I was curious - wanted to know whether you'd believe me or your briefing papers. You are A.E.G.I.S, aren't you? I've seen the look before."

Idly, Sam logs into Moritz's wi-fi and mentally googles 'Ryan Serdas'. According to the internet, he also moonlights as a insurance salesman in Idaho, and a barber in New Orleans. She scrolls through the photos of a younger boy playing baseball, the files the information away as something to look over later. Looking around the group, Sam gives a little nod hello to Nuisance, then catches Alex's eye. The sick feeling twists again, chasing any sense of amusement away. She forces herself to smile and nod, folds her hands into her lap. Flecks of blue light bounce anxiously around the group, settling briefly on clothing before darting away.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-07-21 at 06:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

Mercifully, Alex is right along behind the others. Less mercifully, they'd been together for all of maybe thirty seconds and the meeting was alrady threatening to get away from him. Hopping to his feet in the middle of the conversation, he holds up a hand. "Okay, okay, glad you're all here." Rummaging around in his backpack, he draws out a plain stick, not quite the length of his forearm, knocking it on the table twice. "This is the Talking Stick, got it? No stick, no talk." He flashes a nervous grin at his captive audience.

"First order of biz, we have Ryan. You all might have noticed that Reyna went ghost on us in the middle of the fight at the Weekly Herald. That puts us down a member. On Sunday, my grandfather approached me with an opportunity. A.E.G.I.S. is looking for a place for Agent Dauntless here in San Fransapporo. After the fight at the Herald we're starting to be a pretty big deal, and they want us to consider him for our team. They've offered some cushy support. Facilities, training. Ryan can talk more about it. This is a team decision, but I think this could be a good move for us, and I hope you'll listen to what Ryan's got to say."

Drake's eyes jump from face to face, trying to gauge reactions, and holds the stick out for Ryan to take.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-22 at 10:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

The Talking Stick has been presented. A meeting has various agenda. On the table are the following.

1. The induction or denial of Ryan Serdas, aka Dauntless, into the team. Perhaps discussing a name for the team as well?

2. The Gala is days away. Nuisance is going for sure. Who else wants to admit they're going? Maybe you Alex? Maybe Hive wants to mention it?

3. You've got a secret Hive. It's one that won't stay secret forever.

25. - Top - End - #175

Planetar

Dauntless

Ryan patiently looks around to see if anyone else is going to take the Talking Stick, but the only thing he sees is the others rolling their eyes. Awkwardly, he reaches over and grabs the stick, remaining silent still for a bit. This was worse than when talking with Drake alone. At least then he had some backup in the form of Agent Oni; here, he has to impress the others enough that they'll accept him as a member of their team.

With a cough, Ryan finally starts speaking up. "Drake basically explained it all, though I think I should disclaim that I'm not interested in usurping command over the team, nor is AEGIS. Second, I'm not only here as a bargaining chip; what you guys did back in the Rumble in the Jungle and last week was pretty cool, daring," -reckless- "and awesome- look, what I'm getting at here is that you guys seem like really great people, and I'd be honored to fight along with you."

"Also, if you guys are worried that I can't catch up with you powerwise, don't worry. I'm not just some guy with a metal arm. I have a degree of cybernetic enhancements that makes me around peak human physiquewise, and I do have a suit of armor that boosts my capabilities even further. Not to mention the standard AEGIS training I went through. Speaking of that, I can maybe pull a few strings to get you guys some training b them, too. If you want, of course."

After he spoke the last sentence, Ryan drops the Talking Stick again in the middle of the table, eyeing the others to gauge their reactions.

26. - Top - End - #176

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Insecure, Afraid, Hopeless

Sarah snatched the Talking Stick up almost immediately, eagerness finally outweighing her earlier caution. Her gas mask may have been opaque, but the energy in her voice was difficult to conceal.

"What kinda training is it? Is it fitness training? Military? Ooh, is it free? Do I have to sign a commitment or something? What kinda facilities are we getting? Do we get a team base now!? What kinda suit do you use? How does it work? What's the arm for? Does it like, hack stuff, or smash stuff?"

Her line of questioning continued as she got more and more excited, standing from her chair to hover closer to Ryan. It was probably better for someone else to take the Talking Stick back as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-24 at 07:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Hive is listening to the conversation, despite appearances to the contrary, sitting with arms folded and eyes fixed on the wooden table. As Sarah starts to rise, her head tilts sideways to track the movement, narrowing back onto the thread of talk. She listens for a few moments, then extends a hand to tap Nuisance on the shoulder. When this initial touch fails to make an impact, Sam tries again, putting a little bit more force into the motion, and calling her name out loud.

"Nuisance..."

If this makes an impact, Hive retrieves the talking stick, although not without giving Drake a look. The size of her steel hand makes the rod in question look rather pathetic, dangled distastefully between finger and thumb.

"Nuisance's questions are," pausing somewhat, Sam tries to avoid sounding condescending or grumpy, "good ones, I guess, but I'm thinking, maybe, that maybe that's the wrong way of looking at it." Stopping again to arrange her thoughts, she looks back down at the surface of the table. "We had another person on the team once. It'd be a pity to replace them with an asset, or a training program, or building, or something. What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that we oughtn't recruit someone because they're offering us cool stuff. We ought to recruit someone because we like them, and because they really, actually want to be one of us."

Sam pauses, looking around the group, and at Ryan. "So, we've heard what you can offer us. What I want to know, I s'pose, is who are you?"

28. - Top - End - #178

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull

The talking stick came out and Alex had to stifle a laugh when Drake introduced it to them. She thought it was dumb and childish, but yet she kept silent and listened to the others. Maybe it wasn't the worst idea. When Ryan introduced himself, Alex's skepticism was reflected in her face. In her mind, there was no team decision, the deal was already made and they were all just expected to play along. So he was some AEGIS boyscout. No matter how they would sell it and what "perks" Ryan could offer, it felt to Alex as if the officials wanted someone to on the team to reign them in. Then again. Ryan was just a lapdog, but he also saved her from getting impaled by Tessa, she had to give him that.

Then Sarah snatched the talking stick and Alex shot Sam a thankful look when she took the stick from her ending the stream of questions, that weren't all that relevant and posing some more interesting ones herself.

Before Ryan could answer himself, Alex gave her two cents (demonstrably ignoring the talking stick), "I know you saved me from Tessa Ryan, so I'm givin' you the benefit of the doubt here. But Sam raises good points. All the perks in the world ain't worth **** if you don't gel with us. We gotta trust each other, we all have to do that more." As she said those last words her eyes shot to Drake, quite hypocritical, considering she hadn't told the team about her stint in juvie (except for Sam) or about her little deal with the Warlords (except, again, for Sam)
    Last edited by Sahe; 2018-07-26 at 06:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The Big Game

Even on a dreary, soaked, Thursday Dynamic High is abuzz with activity. The marching band sits in the music hall practicing the night's routine, the foot ball players are out running a few last drills and the grounds keepers are working their best to keep the modern turf field from turning into even more of a disgusting quagmire. The Weather Report promises the rain will let up by the night and while talk of canceling has certainly been floated by...the game is happening.

Other things are afoot however, as the panels zoom through the bleachers and stands to a leggy number, dressed rather poorly for the weather. Clearly some kind of teen hero, the figure has a large umbrella though otherwise dresses in a skimpy take on a kimono. A messenger's bag and civilian clothing sit near by, soaked. The girl, skin a rich mahogany with flowing black hair, is clearly waiting for someone as she paces with agitation.

"You wouldn't have to wait if you weren't early, Ronahi" comes a familiar voice, Antigone sliding into the panel soundlessly. As before, the blonde has an eye patch over an eye though she's out of her civilian costume as well. Chaps, dark jeans and a simple sleeveless t-shirt reveal bruises and cuts all along her arms and shoulders. Her tone is annoyed, not the playful manner she had before as she wrings out her hair. "Had to water proof the weapons or we'd be screwed."

"Did you bring the materials?" Ronahi's tone is curt, to the point but not lacking affection as she finally stops pacing.

"No, I didn't bring the materials! You asked for too much, Odette's got them. She'll be here in a few but she said she's not staying. She wants to get ready for the Gala and Minerva's going to help. Or did you forget that we need the Mithril for any of this to work? And why couldn't we do this some other time, the conditions are terrible for the two of us. Any hero coming in is going to stomp us." The whine is obvious even as Antigone peers out over the field from their spot in the bleachers. "What if Odette's boyfriend shows up huh? With all his friends? We couldn't do jack to them at the Zoo. What makes you think we can do anything here?" The panels shoot out towards the field with her speech bubbles interposed.

The field is practically a lake though with the various meta-humans on staff and at the disposal of the city it'll certainly be dry...well drier...when the game begins. Nothing else distinguishes it from a typical football field though the stadium about it is much better built than a typical high school. Four large entrance ways allow visitors to cram into their seats, video projectors and all manner of AV equipment are set up to record the game. San Fransapporo wouldn't be out of place in Texas with how much the city loves their football teams, even the high school level.

Rohani suffers in silence through the complaints, fingers aglow as the scene snaps back to her. Lines along the ground glow with the same energy, pulsing like a breathing beast. Her bag lies open and various strips of paper can be seen, threatening to spill across the ground.

"Rage was a singular beast and the Zoo was a terrible idea anyway. Animals aren't smart enough to feel...the anger we needed. This will be different. When our loyal Sharks begin to fail, the sadness in the stands will give rise to the energy we need. Once Rook gets here, we can begin crafting the Eidolon. That should keep the Water Elementals in this plane even with tampering. So relax, go get us something to eat. I'll wait for Odette." Ronahi continues to trace lines in the ground even as the water around them starts to pool into the mystical grooves. The next panel shows Antigone gone, soundlessly as before.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-27 at 05:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Planetar

Dauntless
    Conditions: None.

Ryan drops silent again, being grilled by the others, before speaking up again."My name is Ryan Serdas. I am 17 years old, and I used to live in Empire city on the East Coast before being transferred here. I also used to play baseball, up until about two-and-a half years ago.

...The reason why I became an AEGIS agent is not only to protect and help civilians, but also to honor my dead grandpa, who was also an AEGIS agent before he died saving Empire City from a terrorist attack. I wanted to uphold his legacy. To not just let him be forgotten by time."