New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Character to fit setting

Help please.

So juxt of the problem is that in this campaign setting Arcane Magic is considered Super Evil and worthy of immediate purging bye the human gods. We did roll four dice six drop the lowest for stats. We are only allowed One prestige class. Start at level five. Everything I rolled was a 12 except for 117. Now this practically scream sorcerer to me except Divine Hitman are a thing. Oh and before I forget psyonix are treated as arcane. One more piece I forgot to mention earlier is that you can have as many base classes as you want just only one prestige this is a 3.5 campaign but I can possibly get pathfinder stuff subject to approval. I would really appreciate a suggestion. If clericzilla was power level 10 and commoner was power level 1 party power level is that a seven + 1/2.

Really at a loss hear folks... Arcane is usually my go to.help

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Character to fit setting

So be a druid. It's never the wrong answer, even if the party already has 5 of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hexblade 3, Paladin of Tyranny 2.
    Stats: 17 str, 12 dex, 12 con, 12 int, 12 wis, 12 cha. Play as a Lesser Aasimar. (+2 wis, +2 cha).
    Put your level 4 level up into STR.
    Stats: 18 str, 12 dex, 12 con, 12 int, 14 wis, 14 cha.

Next your going to take 5 levels in Occult Slayer. Once your done with Occult Slayer finish off your build with Ranger.

With Ranger take the Arcane Hunter, Crowd Walker, Distracting Attack, Spell Reflection, Urban Tracker, Voice of the City, and Champion of the Wild alternate class features.

Feats:
    1) Improved Initiative
    Flaw) Shaky
    1F) Exotic Weapon Proficiency Spiked Chain
    Flaw) Vulnerable
    1F) Weapon Focus: Spiked Chain
    3) Power Attack
    6) Mage Slayer
    9) Combat Expertise
    12) Improved Trip
    15) Knock-Down
    18) Improved Disarm

Trait: Aggressive

In effect you have become a witch hunter. You hunt down users of arcane magic and rip them to shreds. You don't work alone, you prove to be a great flanker.
    Max out your spellcraft You will know what kind of magic they are attempting to use. Mettle + Divine Grace will help with your saves, get a divine caster to buff you. Extend your reach as best you can, trip enemies and disarm them of their spell component pouches. They should not be casting in your vicinity. Use Urban Tracking to track them down in the city. Yes your LE, but play as LAWFUL. Oh that sorcerer just used his magic to save a kitty, kill him. Oh that wizard just used his magic to-Kill him too. If you have an arcane user in your group he better be sanctioned by your order or your going to kill them too!

Boost your FE damage as high as you can make it. If Dragon Magazine is available then there is an ACF available for your fighting style, take it. I'm fairly certain it gives combat expertise and improved trip, you want those. Bad.
    Last edited by Falontani; 2018-05-01 at 08:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hmmm...

Depending on the power level of the campaign, you have a couple options as I see it.

If splatbooks are allowed, I could see Archivist working out as a way to squeeze around the limitation on arcane casters while still having the same style. Throw the 17 in int and you should be set. Favored soul might also be an option, but they are as I recall multi-stat casters.

As was previously mentioned, you really can't go wrong with Druid; even Cleric would also work, although you'd be much more dependent on casting (3 stats don't matter for Druids after wild shape kicks in). On the flip side, Cleric gets better armors, so at lower levels I'd probably say cleric has a slight edge until wild shape enters the picture. It all depends on how far you think the campaign will go.

If the campaign is core only and you don't want to play a divine caster it's a little more difficult. In a low-power campaign I'd say you might be able to pull of rogue with the 17 in dex, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Barbarian might also be an option, as the rage gives you a good stat boost, but the fatigue after raging would hit you harder than most--it wouldn't be ideal, but it would be probably your best option if you want a melee character. The d12 HD essentially offers you an extra point of con relative to fighter, and the rage lets you temporarily eliminate your stat options when you need it. Still, rogue would probably be a better option as far as core classes generally are concerned, and in either case you'd be decent in you class but depending on your power level would still suffer next to dedicated casters. Power-wise, Druid and Cleric are both better.

Or, finally, if your DM allows it, you could play an arcane caster and simply hide your powers. If the gods smite you regardless, it might be difficult, but if it's more a cultural prejudice, sorcerer with maxed bluff might work ("Oh, me? The small scrawny guy wearing a robe who came into town with the heavily armored adventurers? I'm their accountant.")

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Those are stiff restrictions. I might go psionicist anyway. There are -plenty- of powers that have no obvious visible effects and manifesting itself is not at all obvious. The hitters can't hit what they can't identify. Just be sure to take steps to conceal your auras. There's the mind mask psionic feat as a must-have (Secrets of Sarlona). Beyond that, you'd want to avoid long term buffs and keep your eyes peeled but it should be doable.

The above is, of course, if the DM is being straight with you. Those restrictions smack of a DM that is terrified of highly effective characters, in my mind. If that's the case, you might have a rough time of things as even a druid or cleric. I'mma bet he dispenses with WBL too, if I'm right, and that really only leaves divine casters as decent choices unless he's a far better DM than I'm giving him credit for here. If that's the case, I'd go archivist since it's pretty tough to screw over without being really overt about it.

If you suspect as I do in that second paragraph, it'd probably be better to just ask the DM straight-up what he's about and decide if you really do want to join this campaign.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose it depends on how you define Arcane Magic. Warlocks aren't particularly dependent upon any high ability scores. Totemists and Incarnates can get away with few high scores. Dragonfire Adepts and Binders as well. None of these is exactly the same as a Wizard or Sorcerer in terms of Arcane Magic, but that may be splitting hairs.

You can go a long way with a high INT Archivist. Factotum isn't bad with just high INT either.

And with a lot of builds you can go with the X Stat to Y Bonus abilities to get past needs for certain high scores too.

EDIT: What are your racial options like? You mention human gods, but if other races are open to you then you can find racial ability modifiers to help any build you seek. For instance, a Dragonborn of Bahamut (former Buomann) would have -2 DEX, -2 CHA, +2 CON, and +2 WIS. If you put your 17 in INT you would have a WIS and CON of 14 which would make a fine Archivist base.
    Last edited by BowStreetRunner; 2018-05-01 at 08:29 PM.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Those are stiff restrictions. I might go psionicist anyway. There are -plenty- of powers that have no obvious visible effects and manifesting itself is not at all obvious. The hitters can't hit what they can't identify. Just be sure to take steps to conceal your auras. There's the mind mask psionic feat as a must-have (Secrets of Sarlona). Beyond that, you'd want to avoid long term buffs and keep your eyes peeled but it should be doable.

The above is, of course, if the DM is being straight with you. Those restrictions smack of a DM that is terrified of highly effective characters, in my mind. If that's the case, you might have a rough time of things as even a druid or cleric. I'mma bet he dispenses with WBL too, if I'm right, and that really only leaves divine casters as decent choices unless he's a far better DM than I'm giving him credit for here. If that's the case, I'd go archivist since it's pretty tough to screw over without being really overt about it.

If you suspect as I do in that second paragraph, it'd probably be better to just ask the DM straight-up what he's about and decide if you really do want to join this campaign.
    Actually i get basic kit... 1 masterwork 150 gold and a dm trinket.(see minor magical item)

In all fairness its usually wbl and elite array

Power level. Had a power attacker hit for 60 some odd damage at lvl five. May have been a crit. Wasnt there

Hes not a bad dm. I thinks its just because the last game was extremely high power level. It was gestalted. I had a sorcidan named blender. Actually effective with steeldance and cloud of knives.

Never played a druid before. Do most of them just summon, buff, wildshape then beatdown? I thought of druid but im not as fluent with wildshape as i should be.

For those who brought up cleric. I played a ordained champ build once. That was fun, but it sounds like your referencing a cloistered cleric build.

Considering the starting equipment i would be leery of archivist. If we are that low on gear due to plot or something, maybe no scrolls. Should have mentioned that in the op.

The mage hunter looks cool.

Thank you all for the imput. Appreciated
    Last edited by nintendoh; 2018-05-01 at 11:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Strong wealth and arcane constraints suggest Cleric or Druid if you want a capable character. The high end of what you could do would be a Cleric 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/Cleric 5 using the spell domain to have the ability (but not the practice) of casting arcane spells for qualification. Add in DMM[Persistent Spell] to keep a few critical buffs active all day. For example, you could be persisting mass lesser vigor at level 5 to give the party unbounded out of combat healing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoh View Post
    Help please.

So juxt of the problem is that in this campaign setting Arcane Magic is considered Super Evil and worthy of immediate purging bye the human gods. We did roll four dice six drop the lowest for stats. We are only allowed One prestige class. Start at level five. Everything I rolled was a 12 except for 117. Now this practically scream sorcerer to me except Divine Hitman are a thing. Oh and before I forget psyonix are treated as arcane. One more piece I forgot to mention earlier is that you can have as many base classes as you want just only one prestige this is a 3.5 campaign but I can possibly get pathfinder stuff subject to approval. I would really appreciate a suggestion. If clericzilla was power level 10 and commoner was power level 1 party power level is that a seven + 1/2.

Really at a loss hear folks... Arcane is usually my go to.help
    Cleric/Prestige Paladin with Battle Blessing and Sword of the Arcane Order. Talk to your DM about the exact rulings he will use first, but you should get the paladin list as swift actions and the ability to cast Wizard spells out of your cleric slots.

Now you are a secret heretic Cleric, using DMM Persist buffs to get your stats up in everything, can hunter casters for their spellbooks and are blameless.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Druid seems like the choice to go, just like others have suggested. After all even if you have a wisdom of 8 as a druid, you still have a kickass animal companion to work as a better beatstick

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Druids are awesome and fun, and you can approach them as you would an Arcane caster.

Join us on Team Dirty Hippy Pyromaniac.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

In total cleric was mentioned the most. Will most likely go cleric.

Does anyone have an opinion on the thaumaturgist?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoh View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on the thaumaturgist?
    I'll defer this one to the Conjurer's Handbook.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.