New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC) Thread 2

"Well, if he has powers, it might be something as simple as him being able to read minds or use these powers to hear or see an area, thereby knowing your plans. I know very little of powers but the later is a common usage by wizards of power." Shim says, a bit disappointed that the smaller stones weren't more effective.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kricen shakes his head and addresses Jirezgd. "Go ahead and send your runner with the journal and word of the stone, though you may want to keep its power somewhat secret so Whitemarsh doesn't learn of it. We'll need a place to stay and clean up. Also, what do you know of the ogres? Are you friendly with them? I am interested in learning what they know."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Azul answers your questions. “No, it will not prevent all powers. It appears similar to a rarely-used power documented under the name Catapsi, draining the power from incoming powers and making targeting in the area more difficult. It’s enough of an effect to block out Whitemarsh’s low-level call, but I don’t think it would do anything to his true believers unless they have psionic powers of their own that would be interfered with. Either you’re in or your out, as best as we can tell.”

The other problem is that he was a good scout of his own, and his scouting parties used to be ours and know our supply lines and paths, while we don’t know theirs. It’s risky.

You’re welcome to camp here again, as long as you’re not planning on summoning any more fire elementals.

The library ogres are…formidable. They are masters of different forms of arcane magic, and are also still, well, ogres. They know much, but stay strictly neutral and tend to be hostile to any who they do not know. I wouldn’t be surprised if they demand something of you before agreeing to share any information whatsoever. A rare book, retrieving some component, or something else.”

4. - Top - End - #424

Fire elementals? A story for later it seemed. Kricen looks around the area they were in, to be there camp for the night. "Hostile and intelligent ogres. Interesting. Could you or one of your people introduce us to them so there are no misunderstandings?"

"Matai, could you make some small stones for each of us and a couple extra for trade to the ogres? That could be something of interest to them. In the mean time seems we make camp here for a couple of days while they figure out their end. I have some arcane studies I need to complete and this place seems relatively safe. In the mean time the goblins get protection from the big stone too."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It's a 24 hour ritual to summon the familiar. I'm fine with fast forwarding as much as needed. I'll give up four of my 25gp black onyx gems to pay for the ritual.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

"Of course." Matai continues breaking pieces off the big stone.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

"Unfortunately, ogre-goblinkind relations are poor. They say there's historical precedent going back hundreds of years telling them to attack us on sight. We have no records going back nearly that far since our people fled the surface."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

"So, none of your kind has spoken to them in a hundred years? Even against some common foe?" Shim asks. "Are there no other races here that you are friendly with that might be able to make introductions with the ogres?"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

"You could try the Sphinxes if you’re willing to tempt the big cats. I wouldn’t recommend it. We usually try to skirt around their territory. Beyond that, I don’t know. We are just a guard post, not Central Cartography, you know."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

"A day or two here, resting up in a relatively safe place sounds like a good idea," says Caidacyn to the group. "And if the ogres have a poor relationship with the goblins, we might be able to use that to our advantage - if Whitemarsh or his minions have been moving around the ogre's territory, they're likely to keep track of them and might be willing to give us information we need in exchange for us ensuring that Whitemarsh is permanently taken care of."

She turns to the goblins. "So, any chance of some food, drink, and fresh water for bathing?" the green-skinned fey woman asks politely.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

The goblins share food and water with you, although the food is not your standard surface fare. Mushrooms and other fungi are prominent, along with meat and eggs. Greens are nonexistent. They do not, however, volunteer to haul buckets and buckets of water from somewhere else so that you can bathe. Sponge baths appear to be the norm.

You can assume a day or two pass in safety.

11. - Top - End - #431

Kricen turns to the party after the goblins are off to get word back from their masters. "Looks like we have a couple of days while they figure their end out. If you have the resources, don't they have a runeforge here you can make use of? I have a magical ritual to do that I think I'm finally ready to do. I'll start it tonight and should be done at "sundown" tomorrow. I hope to not be disturbed."

The necromancer has his pets take up station just inside the entrance off to the side so as not to be in the way of other visitors yet well placed for the stone to guard the entrance. He'll spend the rest of the afternoon with the party gorging himself with both the goblin's offerings and his own magically supplied food and drink.

Just before virtual sundown, he sets himself up in the corner off to the left from the entrance. He uses the area's wall and his minions to set up a 15' square area to himself. Thea area's actual corner is one corner. Max the large skeletal raptor is stationed to be the opposite corner facing away from the ritual area. Victor the human sized skeletal raptor stands between the ritual spot and the goblin's fortifications. Babs the zombiefied demon is put on guard to be between the ritual and the tunnel entrance.

Kricen takes out four black onyx gems and places them on the ground to form a six foot by six foot square. He sits in the middle of it. His Ioun Stone floats in front and above his forehead, proving light. He begins to chant quietly. Perhaps someone with exceptional hearing that dared to come close to the undead walling off the area might make out a dark language, maybe even making out the words in Abyssal if they knew the language themselves.

The next day Kricen is still at it. The four gems around him on the ground glow dimly. Six feet above each gem are points of light glowing just as much as the others. Around noon the points are glowing more yet the area inside is darker than the rest of the cavern.

Mid afternoon the lights on the corners are brighter but the darkness within deepens. Kricen's form is barely visible, still sitting and slowly rocking side to side.

Sundown comes. The ritual area is totally blackened to those outside. The lights now shine bright but fail to penetrate into the ritual Suddenly the four gems shatter. Their light fails and the inner darkness gets sucked hard into the ground, leaving the necromancer sitting there as if nothing had happened.

After a couple of minutes he stiffly rises. He has Victor step aside and requests the group gather around. He stands so his back is to the fortifications. He is visibly happy with himself.

"All went well. Druids have their animal pets. Wizards have their bat or raven familiars. I have summoned a spirit to aid me, and therefor us. I call him Gandalf. Mostly he will reside within me. His gaze can be terrifying so be ready as I introduce you." He takes a step back and opens his arms outward as his head directs attention to his torso.

A small cloud of smoke floats partially out of the necromancer's stomach. The smoke stops and slowly a face appears within it. It seems to be the face of an elven male. Your spines tingle hard. You have the sense that if it wanted to be scary it would be effective. After a few seconds the face fades and the smoke merges back within Kricen.

"Gandalf can be terrifying to our enemies. If I mention it by name I suggest you avert your gaze to protect yourself. And... being incorporeal is a boon too, granted he moves quite slowly."

Show
    24 hour ritual to summon familiar Gandalf . Losing the gems to count for 100gp cost. I think the terror visage has to be active and won't be for this viewing.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn spends the days resting and meditating, invisibly scouting the nearby surrounding area, and studying and observing closely the ecosystems that have sprung up in this strange environment. As a result of her activities, her allies begin to experience feeling emboldened by the mere presence of the fey woman.

When Kricen calls the group forth to introduce his new summon spirit Gandalf, Caidacyn looks on with a bemused and slightly puzzled expression.

"It... he... is nice? I guess?" she offers tentatively. "For a twisted perversion of all that is natural, that is." She pokes a slender finger at the smokey form as it retreats back into Kricen. "No offence or anything, but are you sure that your magical ritual worked correctly? It's just that it's not that terrifying, really; I mean, I've found scarier stuff growing under the bark of a fallen tree."

Show
    Caidacyn got Aura of Courage with her level-up: immunity to fear, and allies within 10' get +4 to saves vs fear.

13. - Top - End - #433

"We could see how the goblins fare against its gaze, but I doubt that will help our cause. Speaking of them, what is the word from them? They have the journal and the rock sample. I don't want to die from old age waiting on them."

"Ogres next?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmm, seems like a friendly weapon you might want to keep a tight lid on." is all Shim says before introducing himself to Gandalf.
    Once the ceremony is complete, he retires and rests. The next morning, as the others are gathering around, he nods to Caidacyn and Kricen.
    "Yeah..." he says as he rubs his chin ..."we have to deal with them sooner or later, I suppose." Standing and dusting off his clothes, he grabs his gear. "Well, let's get it done, I suppose."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

On the second day, you notice some activity within the goblin camp. Soon, a new face comes out to greet you, a burly hobgoblin in chain armor, missing his right ear. He approaches, and speaks in a gruff voice. “You’ve delved the spiral stairs and survived, solving a mystery for us, though not the one you sought. I am Hobbes, and long did I attempt to locate the criminal whose journal you found.” You notice he’s wearing a chip from your stone around his neck.

“It’s nice to not hear that crazy nit’s voice in the back of my head during the night any more. The ruling council wants some more of these, after testing’s been done, and there’s talk of an expedition to try to retrieve more. We’d like to buy the big crystal off of you. In the meantime, a token of appreciation.”

(He hands over a Lesser Demolition weapons crystal; MIC 65; weapon counts as adamantine and does +1d6 damage vs. constructs.).

(If you sell the large crystal to them, you can get an amulet each out of it, and decide on one singular item valued at about 30,000gp or less)

16. - Top - End - #436

"Better if someone else uses it, I think," Matai says of the crystal. "Are these ogres the chatty sort, or more into smashing? I wasn't with you when you met them, remember."

17. - Top - End - #437

"None of us have crossed paths with them that I know of. I would rather talk to them and see what they know. We'll have to introduce ourselves carefuly."

Kricen turns back to Hobbes. "If we can get another stone, still the same offer? Think how much more you could do with a second one."

Show
    Surprised Matai doesn't want the crystal. Seems ideal for a dwarf to want to better demolish a golem.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Hobbes looks unhappy. "We need this more than you do. Are you sure you won't reconsider?"

19. - Top - End - #439

Kricen shakes his head. "I mean if we had two would it be the same offer for both? Granted, getting to the second one would be more dangerous and if you went for it yourselves you would need to get it all the way back up here."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

"We understand your concern but, with another stone and us clearing out... unruly neighbors.." Shim says with a reassuring smile on his face "... I think its best for all if we keep the one for now, don't you think?"

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmm... I suppose. Keep it safe, and bring it back soon."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Shim nods to Hobbs with a reassuring smile before turning back to the rest of the group. "Alright, let's get going. Ogres to deal with... best get it done, right? Nothing like trying to make friends with ogres to finish off the day." he says in an off-hand, carefree way that his companions can tell he is doing to keep everyones spirits up.

23. - Top - End - #443

Kricen nods in agreement in time to get going. Once the party is away from the goblin area he pipes up. "These are supposedly more intelligent than the average ogre. Let's hope more talkative too. Better to learn what they know then wiping them out like the raptors. Hells, they may pay more for the stone than the goblins." He and his entourage bring up the rear of the group.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Heading south from the goblin outpost, you reach the junction that leads towards the caves, the spiders, and eventually the grimlock fishing outpost. Following the goblin-provided map, you use Kricen’s Broom of Flying to relay everyone up the vertical chimney to the upper caves, which are about thirty feet up. You can clearly see some embedded pitons and marks left by others climbing up in the past.

The upper cave goes northeast for a little while, then opens out into a larger circular room, with a floor that’s been mostly flattened. It appears on the map, and as shown, has exits to the east and to the south. You follow the path to the south through a bunch of twists and turns, at one point crossing a small stream that flows out of the side of the wall, across the open area, and down into a hole. You eventually reach a three-way intersection. According to your map, the westwards direction leads to “Dinos” and the right to a path going towards the Library Ogres.

You follow the path towards the Library Ogres, and after your seventh hour of travel, the tunnel you’re in dips down a bit and comes out on a ledge forty feet above the floor of a large, rectangular room that’s at least three hundred feet long and a hundred feet wide. It’s mostly overgrown with mushrooms ranging up to nearly tree height, so it’s hard to see too far at ground level, let alone locate any doors.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Shim, using his polearm as an overly large stick, shoves the overgrowth out of his way as the group makes its way towards the library. "Truely a tale to inspire courange and dreams in the future youth, the part of our adventure is." he says just loudly enough for the others to hear, sarcasm evident. "Though it better than being digested by the troll-thing.
    Does anyone see the way?"
    he asks as he looks about for said library.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen and spot
    (1d20+6)[23]
    (1d20)[7]

26. - Top - End - #446

"At least we saw the troll coming. Before blindly going through here, perhaps better for Caidacyn to scout invisibly overheard?" Kricen looked outward but his mind was more on what knowledge the ogres could have.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447

"What do we know about these ogres?" Matai asks. "Any clue of interests they have, or things they're likely to be looking for in a negotiation?"

28. - Top - End - #448

"Nothing more than what the goblins back there told us. Hostile to strangers, kills goblins on sight, and may demand something in trade for what they know. Might take some convincing to get them talking."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Stopping his swatting of the overgrown mushrooms, he plants his guisarme as he looks back at the others. "Caidacyn, what do you think? Maybe find an easier path or the library itself?"

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll see what I can see," Caidacyn says. "Wait here".

Locating the closest tall mushroom, she turns invisible and scrambles up the stalk like a spider. Reaching the cap she looks out over the mushroom grove, hoping to locate any obvious exits or paths through the fungi.

Show

Invocations active: See the Unseen, Spiderwalk.

Killoren Aspect: Aspect of the Hunter (+2 Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Initiative; pinpoint living creatures within 30' as a move action.)

Mushroom checks: Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+3)[17] and/or Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (1d20+3)[4]