New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC) Thread 2

It doesn't take long before Kricen gets tired of hearing the useless pounding and orders the zombie to come back to him.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn makes note of the odd behaviour of the Formian, and freezes when it stops moving. Making sure to keep a safe distance, she scans it for the presence of any magical auras.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Detect Magic spell-like ability on the Formian, concentrating for 3 rounds - unless it moves towards her or makes a hostile action; in which case retreat back down the wall.

Some preemptive Spellcraft checks (J-H, let me know if you should be rolling these instead of me):
    (1d20+10)[21]
    (1d20+10)[28]
    (1d20+10)[29]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

You detect an aura of Transmutation, and realize that spells relating to the Ethereal plane are typically Transmutation-related. It seems to emanate from the amulet.

The Formian continues assessing the area. If it has noticed you (invisible), it has done a good job hiding its observation.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn watches the Formian for a short while, then climbs quietly back down the wall. Becoming visible, she informs the party of what she observed, while keeping an eye on it as best she can from this distance.

"The Formian climbed up the wall about a hundred feet or so; and it seems like it's looking for something, or perhaps just scouting. It's wearing some kind of magical amulet, which is probably what is making it ethereal." She gazes at the Formian for a moment and shrugs. "It seems harmless now, but if it's an advance scout, things could get rather unpleasant for us if more of them arrive. I'd advise against attacking it, though - they have some kind of hivemind communication, so if we attack it'll definitely alert others in its' hive for reinforcements... maybe we should move on elsewhere soon?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

The Formian starts to climb down. Some of the party members remember that they’ve briefly seen something that could have been a Formian a number of days ago.

If you're going to do anything about the Formian, you'll need to act soon.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

"I hate to leave just after seizing control of this place, but we should probably avoid conflict with random not-evil outsiders if we don't have a reason to fight them," Matai says quietly. "Of course, it might not be hostile."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Shim shakes his head back and forth, as if weighing the decision, before slowly nodding in agreement. "The other thing to consider is that, like an ant they look like, it might be part of a larger colony running around here. That is one ants nest I do not want to stir."

8. - Top - End - #128

"Avoid conflict with random not-evil outsiders, like a whole herd of raptors? Hehehe. Sounds like one of those things we saw just before fighting the earth elementals. We fought and no colony came. Now we know how they travel and why they aren't normally seen. Interesting. You think it is the amulet doing that? Think about it- we're here to stop the power crystals. Understanding how the Complex works will help solve that. We need that amulet. Ethereal... it can't hurt us but we can only get at it with force effects. Anyone have anything useful for that?"

"Caidacyn, how big is it? Man size? Smaller?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Would Spectral Hand count for affecting it?
    Last edited by Cavir; 2018-10-31 at 06:28 PM.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's shorter than me in height; but it's probably about as long as I am tall if measuring head to tail. Speaking of, there's a nasty-looking stinger on its abdomen; I'm guessing that it's venomous. It looks like it's climbing down the wall now."

"I have no means of interacting with the creature while it is ethereal; and unless it has some means of affecting us, I don't know if there is anything we can do about it except observe it. Unless it suddenly returns to the Material Plane, that is."

She keeps watching the Formian, ready to warn the others and turn Invisible if it takes any potentially hostile actions.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

The Formian reaches the ground, walks around the Runeforge once, and then walks back through the wall.

11. - Top - End - #131

Caidacyn reports the creature gone. Kricen is aggravated. "Dammit. At least we know a little more about them. Need to get magic to handle them in the future."

Kricen pulls out the journal with map. "Dare we go after one of these glowing stones to deal with the renegade goblin? We risk the T-rex area but..." he points to the western edge of the map. "This pool is on the edge of the cavern and their territory. Less likely to come across them, at least in force like the raptors. Let's head west to the far wall then follow it south?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn watches the creature leave.

"I wonder what it was looking for? Maybe the Formians have something to do with the construction or operation of the Complex? Or maybe they've been drawn here, and now are re-purposing things to their own devices?" she muses.

Caidacyn looks over the journal and the map. "Tyrannosaurs? They're incredibly dangerous at the best of times, without being made faster and stronger by strange magics. If we do go there, I suggest that we don't try to fight unless our lives depend on it. Hmmm, a fey pool? If they haven't been too altered by this place, or are not of the Unseelie Court, it might be possible for me to negotiate safe passage with my distant kinfolk, should we go there..."

She points to the journal. "I don't read goblin - can someone please translate?"

Assuming that someone does, she asks "It says the glowing stones are the size of a hobgoblin torso and stronger than steel - do we have some way of removing it and carrying it, should we successfully find it? Can this Runeforge make something that will help?"
    Last edited by Dexam; 2018-11-06 at 11:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, if I had a choice, I suppose I'd rather be eaten by one of this big lizards.
    End the pain quickly, with one bit."
    Shim says with a laugh, trying to lighten the mood, with mixed results. Seeing it fall a bit flat, he sighs and says "Well, west or otherwise is a toss up. Never had much of a head for strategy, so if you all think one way is better than the other, I'm game. We just need to make sure we do our best to keep alive." As Caidacyn speaks, he nods and replies "Yes, avoiding conflict is best but, as we've seen, not always an option.
    Best a little stealth and observation can go a long way. So, west?"

14. - Top - End - #134

"West, sure. When we come back, we should be prepared for potentially having to fight to use the machine again," Matai sighs. He heads out toward the west unless someone quickly protests.

15. - Top - End - #135

Kricen holds up his new necklace. "This spell shard will help against a T-Rex nicely. Two to three shots and it'll be as weak as a fawn. I was hoping for some of the dead raptors as a distraction but they haven't risen yet. Putting them in front would give the time needed. Near the stone should undo the T-Rex enhancements. I do agree, avoiding them would be wise. Babs here has the strength of a demon, should be enough to carry the stone back."

"West it is them. Let's go."
    Kricen takes one last check on the half buried dead raptors to see if they undead yet and then glances around the nest to make sure nothing was being left behind then moves out with the group.

Show
    Everyone spend their gold on items or at least mark the gold on their sheets?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn shrugs. "West is okay with me, but I wouldn't mind looking in on those possible Fey Pools at some point."

The fey lady fades from view. "Don't worry, I haven't abandoned you!" she says with a giggle.

Show
    See the Unseen invocation is active.

Walk Unseen invocation is active.

Aspect is Hunter: +2 to Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen and +2 Initiative, and she can detect all living creatures within 30' as a move action, which she will do at random intervals as they travel, more frequently in heavily vegetated areas or close to bodies of water.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

The team heads west, bearing a bit south as best as you can tell, headed for the far wall. You don’t encounter much of anything living around the raptors, and travel for a day or so before you hear a series of loud and angry-sounding croaks ahead and to your left, along with the sound of something hard hitting stone.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Kricen has three undead raptors trailing at the back of the group.

The noises from ahead continue.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

The still-invisible Caidacyn taps each of the (living) party members on the shoulder.

"I'll go ahead and have a look; I'll yell if I need help, otherwise await for my return," she whispers.

As stealthily as possible, Caidacyn moves cautiously ahead of the rest of the group, occasionally using her connection with the natural world to sense for the presence of living creatures that might remain otherwise unseen.

Show
    Hide (just in case): (1d20+7)[17]
    Move silently: (1d20+7)[17]
    Spot: (1d20+4)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[15]

Detecting living creatures withing 30' every second round as a move action.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Twisting his head around in vain to Caidacyn's voice, Shim says "Alright. Use caution. Try not to embed yourself to far in if you see anything. Too easy to get trapped." as he move to a spot with a better vantage that can provide some cover to keep hidden.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Caidacyn sneaks forward. She suddenly reaches the edge of a clearing and sees three large frog-like figures ahead, smashing something that looks sort of like the gate/teleport pillar the group saw much earlier. They do not appear to be happy with it.

One is green, one is red, and one is blue, and each one is about the size of an ogre. Caidacyn thinks they might be slaads, but is unable to recall what the colors might mean.

Caidacyn is about 300’ in front of the group. The environment is light forest, meaning the tree trunks are around 10-15’ apart on average. The slaads are in a clearing about 75’ in diameter, so they are about 60-80’ from Caidacyn.

They are unaware of her presence.

Spoiler
    Show

C
    Hide & MS at 17 and invisible
    Spot & Listen @ 14-15
    Slaad
    Blue S/L +9
    Green +12
    Red +8
    Rolls: 11, 12, 18 = 20, 24, 26 = all exceed the threshold!

K: Planes rolled a 2+10 modifier = 12

=> Caidacyn
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-11-14 at 01:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Kricen casts a protection spell on himself then arranges the undead around the group. "Torlak, would you give the undead protection from your fire breath please?"

Show
    Actually started this before J-H's post but it all works still.
    False Life roll1d10+6[/roll] Temp HP, lasts 6 hours or until used.

"you hear a series of loud and angry-sounding croaks ahead and to your left"
    Max- front left of the group
    Babs - to my left
    Victor - front right of the group
    Val - rear of the group
    Kricen - behind the other characters, ahead of Val.

Undead have orders to defend the party.

Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn observes the three Slaadi go about their business for a short while, then sneaks back to the rest of the group.

"I'm back," she announces, becoming visible for the benefit of the party. "So... about 300' ahead there's a small clearing with three Slaadi in it - they're Outsiders from one of the Planes, I forget which one. Anyway, they look like a cross between an ogre and a giant toad, and there's one red skin, one green skin, and one blue skin. They seem very intent on trying to damage or destroy what looks like one of those transportation pillars, which is what's causing all the noise we heard. Any ideas on how we proceed? Do we try and avoid them; or do we approach them? If we do approach them, I suggest advising them to quiet down a bit - all that noise could attract something."

24. - Top - End - #144

"Do you know if these slaadi are likely to be hostile to us?" Matai asks, regretting his own lack of outsider knowledge.

25. - Top - End - #145

"Slaads eh? The map put outsiders on the other side of the T-Rex area." Kricen recalls what he can about them while pulling out a wand of invisibility.

Show
    Know(Planes) (1d20+10)[25] with Collector of Stories bonus
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Slaads are frog-like outsiders that are very chaotic and unpredictable in nature. Most other creatures can serve as hosts or brooders for their eggs, which is often fatal. Most of them speak a language unique to their species, and often do not understand common.

Kricen also recalls the books warning that slaad are powerful in melee, but many of them also have dangerous arcane-type spell-like-abilities that they can use to attack at range. They are to be handled with care.

27. - Top - End - #147

"A slaad is powerful with magic and in melee. Chaotic and most don't speak Common. They would love to use our bodies as nests for their eggs so I doubt they would like to become friends. One is a challenge. Three much more so. I don't know which colors are more powerful. Maybe observation can help. No signs of tentacles right? We may want to use that teleportation pillar so letting them destroy it is not in our interest. If we fight we need to focus on one together to finish it off and reduce their magic. They are chaotic, maybe we can get them to fight each other. Ideas?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Shim rubs his chin. "Well, if we can seperate them... or, yes, that is even better. he says to Kricen. "These creature dwell in the realms of chaos, eh? Yes, if we can get them to turn upon each other, if nothing we sow a little chaos their direction, weakening each other or even killing each other, leaving us to just mop them up. If Caidacyn can get close enough, perhaps he can take one item off one of these Slaadi and plant it on the other. I have magic that might accomplish it but I'm not invisible and have to be pretty close to make it work. If we know what kinds of magic they each have available to them, perhaps we can use our own magic to replicate a specific one in order to begin some infighting?"

Spoiler
    Show

Bardic knowledge to see if Shim knows what spells/spell-likes these have
    (1d20+6)[14]

and/or

Knowledge:The Planes
    (1d20+3)[8]

29. - Top - End - #149

"Wish I knew their magics. Invisibility wand here I could use on you. They would probably hear my pets before getting that close. If we can't get them infighting we could get them to come to our ambush. Maybe an illusion of something for them to impregnate that leads them to us. If we get real lucky only one follows the bait."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Shim is pretty sure that the slaad won't be able to cast anything more than third-level spells, or at least not by much. Some of their spells are related to the law-and-chaos axis.