New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Is First Edition Ad and d Dead?

Hi, I've been wondering if anyone plays one e anymore of dnd? I want to see if anyone does as I'm thinking about running a forum session for one e d and d on this sight. Does anyone play anymore?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Is First Edition Ad and d Dead?

Dragonsfoot.org still has a lively forum for 1e, as does Knights and Knaves Alehouse (I'm on Dragonsfoot, so I know them better).

I like 1e, but I haven't gotten to play ANYTHING in years, and haven't run anything since last June, but I like a lot of the early D&D stuff... my last game was Castles and Crusades, but running a mash-up of T1 and B2.

If you want to TALK 1e, I know I'm one of a few people on here who likes the game.

Here's some things on my blog that I posted that are 1e compatible.

And it looks like I never posted my Psychic Monk alteration.

Or my weird "AD&D but there's only Druids and Illusionists as spellcasters."

And some new rules for Reincarnation, and the table to go along with it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I was all set to run an AD&D campaign (1st ed.) when we finished our last 5e campaign, but then the group kind of broke up with a lot of health issues interfering. Some of the gang is getting together Saturday after next to see what we will be doing next. I'm not much for text games, but if anyone is in Phoenix, AZ and would like to play AD&D, I will sure respond to a message.

Last time I did play 1st edition was when 3rd edition had just come out. That campaign was wild fun while it lasted.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thelownlycheese View Post
    Hi, I've been wondering if anyone plays one e anymore of dnd? I want to see if anyone does as I'm thinking about running a forum session for one e d and d on this sight. Does anyone play anymore?
    No version of D&D has an expiration date. Plenty of people still play 1E. I run a 1E game. Not that 1E is perfect. Far from it. But it at least has the advantage of being easy to house rule whatever parts you want. The author expected it to be house ruled and stated openly that he couldn't think of everything.

Go to Dragonsfoot.org forums and you'll see. 1E, 2E, and even original 1974 D&D still see enough play not to be ignored.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Within the last 10 years, I've enjoyed retroclones more than 1e.

... on the few occasions that I've gotten to play either.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You may wish to post your query in the:

Finding Players (Recruitment)

thread, if you want to get players.

Anyway, I haven't played AD&D since before 2e AD&D came out, the closest I've come is a little B/X sometime in the last two years, but I'd be thrilled to play again (pre Unearthed Arcana rules), and I keep copies of the PHB and the DMG both at home and at work.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Most 1e games are nigh-identical retroclones at this point, but that's less 1e dying and more 1e multiplying into a bunch of clones with slightly different outfits. The mechanics are often identical, the writing is usually better, and the whole Old School Revolution movement in RPGs is going strong, with 1e being a major strain.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

1e for sure, although lately it's been 5e & COC I'm playing over in dragonsfoot chat & discord

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The last 4 games I've played have been original D&D, AD&D 1e, AD&D 2e, and D&D3.5e.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The nice thing is that all the various forms of D&D (the type that you essentially find in the Rules Cyclopedia and similar books), 1e, and 2e are essentially variations of each other which makes mining ideas and adventures very easy. I used an adventure for D&D for AD&D 2e without even knowing it (though I did wonder about some of the weirdness such as the elf character being "multiclassed" but yet it did not seem to have the exact mechanics for that since in reality that was the elf class in D&D and not a multiclass like it would be in AD&D) and I have also used various 1e mechanics and classes in my 2e games with no problem.

That has helped me keep the games going since that gives me a lot to play with whenever I want to play that style of game (with houserules on top of that of course my wife and I are both not keen on such restrictive racial class combos or racial level limits but those are both easy to remove).
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2018-05-08 at 07:37 PM.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I run two games now, one 1st Ed and one 2nd Ed. My short term goal is to wrap the 2nd ed game entirely and focus exclusively on 1st Edition.

There are certainly enough people out there who play Old School and would participate in your subforum.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

13,421 members of the 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons group on FB alone would say it's alive and well.
    I also run a face to face 1st ed game at least weekly, plus several more online.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

As Mark says above you can find a lot of 1E players on Dragonsfoot. You can also run/join a 1E PbP on Dragonsfoot or Unseen Servant (www.unseenservant.us) where there are a lot of folks playing it.

I think there are some games on Roll20 too. But I haven't checked recently.

It's my favorite edition. :)
    --Ron--
    Last edited by rredmond; 2018-06-12 at 10:37 AM.
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rredmond View Post
    As Mark says above you can find a lot of 1E players on Dragonsfoot. You can also run/join a 1E PbP on Dragonsfoot or Unseen Servant (www.unseenservant.us) where there are a lot of folks playing it.

I think there are some games on Roll20 too. But I haven't checked recently.

It's my favorite edition. :)
    --Ron--
    A side effect of my time on Dragonsfoot is that I frequently *think* in 1st edition, when statting things. Hackmaster is starting to take over, but there's a lot that makes sense as 1st edition.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.