New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Casting voice actors for the oots party and extended world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Why does the thread say "voice actors" in the title and almost everybody is suggesting live actors? People do realize they're entirely different skillsets, right? That's why when an animated movie or video game casts some big name actor it usually sucks.
    Well, most of us are much more familiar with live actors, and certainly I'd use those a reference point for conveying what I think the character sounds like, particularly if they've pulled off similar roles. So laziness, I guess?

Personally I've never been *particularly* unhappy with live-actors doing voice work, at least when I've recognised the voice? I thought Nathan Fillion was fine in the DC animated movies, for example.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Personally I've never been *particularly* unhappy with live-actors doing voice work, at least when I've recognised the voice? I thought Nathan Fillion was fine in the DC animated movies, for example.
    Fun story! So, Billy West is, IIRC, one of only three people who are licensed to do Bugs Bunny. Back when Space Jam came out, he obviously auditioned for Bugs, and got it. Did some other voices too, crazy talented guy.

Anyway. It's Space Jam. The plot is literally "Michael Jordan and Buggs Bunny play basketball." Buggs is on the poster. He's arguably more recognizable than Jordan. Billy West is half the damn movie. And when he was invited to the premier and went to Mann's Chinese Theater, he was told that he wasn't allowed in; he had to go to a small theater to the side, and that the famous theater was for "real actors." Like Michael Jordan.

Regardless of anything else, hearing that story forever made me unhappy with live action actors doing voice acting. Not because of a "if we can't get on your bus, you can't get on our bus" mentality, but because voice actors are already second class citizens, so far as Hollywood is concerned, and I think they should be able to get all the work they can.

Also, did I say fun story? I meant depressing, angry story.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So, Hollywood then?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How much of that was Dinklage's fault and how much was down to the direction he received, though? I mean, he was being told he was portraying an emotionless AI, and the completely flat delivery matches that quite well--somebody at Bungie obviously thought it worked, because they included it in the final game and only changed it after fan backlash.
    That's the thing: VAs don't tend to GET direction. They get sat in a booth with their script and vague guidelines for delivery and need to give the best performance they can.

It's a completely different talent set where a lot of the time they're their own director.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Chris Sabat as Durkon
    Laura Bailey as V
    Alex Denton and Alex Denton? Wouldn't it be better more amusing to have both of them voice Vaarsuvius?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. I didn't know about that.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair point.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Regardless of anything else, hearing that story forever made me unhappy with live action actors doing voice acting. Not because of a "if we can't get on your bus, you can't get on our bus" mentality, but because voice actors are already second class citizens, so far as Hollywood is concerned, and I think they should be able to get all the work they can.

Not just Hollywood, it's a big issue in the games industry too. Tossing aside David Hayter, a man with 20 years of experience as one of the most iconic video game characters of all time, for Kiefer Sutherland isn't the scummiest thing Konami has ever done by a long shot, but it's still enough to make me livid. Worse that, as I recall, they didn't even inform Hayter he was being let go, he found out he was out of a job when the new casting was confirmed in a press release.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, uh... at the risk of further aggravating those who dislike live actors for voice roles, I think I found a candidate for O-Chul.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Oh, uh... at the risk of further aggravating those who dislike live actors for voice roles, I think I found a candidate for O-Chul.

You pull out Community, and don't go with Keith David? Madness, I say!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's just occurred to me--how about Shohreh Aghdashloo for V? (She plays the UN high-up woman in The Expanse). Female voice, but with a deepness and gravel to it--I can easily see people not being able to immediately identify it it's a man's or woman's voice.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's just occurred to me--how about Shohreh Aghdashloo for V? (She plays the UN high-up woman in The Expanse). Female voice, but with a deepness and gravel to it--I can easily see people not being able to immediately identify it it's a man's or woman's voice.
    She's a good actress (and good voice actress too, I liked her in Mass Effect) but she doesn't really have an androgynous voice from what I recall.

Not that that's necessarily a REQUIREMENT, mind. I'm not entirely sure how good her snark game is for V, is my main concern. From what I've seen she's very good at playing aggressive, commanding characters, but I've never heard her stooping to sarcasm or passive aggression in a role.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

You pull out Community, and don't go with Keith David? Madness, I say!
    I may also be the only person on Earth who liked season-one Britta as a person just fine and has no idea why the writers changed her.

I think one can also appreciate the, ah, humorous contrast of humanising one's opponents in a game where 90% of the rules are concerned with physically obliterating said opponents.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, apparently I'm not the only one who liked Britta. Boy, that brings up some flashbacks. I mean memories.

Returning to the topic... I don't think Shohreh Aghdashloo works for V, except perhaps under the Soul Splice. I did stumble on Tieria Erde from Mobile Suit Gundam in a related compilation video, so given the right presentation Samuel Vincent might be the right man for the job. (Also, could we squeeze in a couple of roles for Frank Welker? I'm pretty sure the voice of both Megatron and Baby Kermit would be able to find a niche somewhere...)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Redcloak is %100 Smithers since panel 1, what are y'all even talking bout?

Also Belkar is Joe Pesci in as stereotypical mafia guy voice as possible.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

In a similar thread some time ago I proposed that Tommy Lee Jones should voice Xykon, and now I can't read the comic without imagining his deadpan delivery style and drawl.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2018-06-06 at 03:23 PM.