New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice OOC

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    Any thoughts on the backstory? Too much, too little.... too weird?
    Looks good to me!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to keep you updated, I've sent a few player invites out over the last week, waiting on responses.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Greetings all, Ghostfoot has invited me to join this game.

I'm currently looking at a Northlander with some variation of skald: either the Bard class with Skald campaign setting archetype; or the Skald class with the Dragon Skald archetype.

The character would most likely be an apprentice of Ari Hrokson or Grimr Wisetooth; the big question is whether or not someone would be in a position to teach the character magic - the Bard (Skald) archetype is spell-less and replaces spellcasting with bonus Combat feats.

Also, I don't have a great deal of experience with Pathfinder, so any advice from more experienced players would be greatly appreciated.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Greetings all, Ghostfoot has invited me to join this game.

I'm currently looking at a Northlander with some variation of skald: either the Bard class with Skald campaign setting archetype; or the Skald class with the Dragon Skald archetype.

The character would most likely be an apprentice of Ari Hrokson or Grimr Wisetooth; the big question is whether or not someone would be in a position to teach the character magic - the Bard (Skald) archetype is spell-less and replaces spellcasting with bonus Combat feats.

Also, I don't have a great deal of experience with Pathfinder, so any advice from more experienced players would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey Dex, welcome!

A bard or skald to record (and commit) deeds of heroism sounds neat.

Let's say the mentor is Grimr Wisetooth. In this campaign setting bards & skalds tent toward covert/ discrete spellcasting (if any). Overt displays of high magic are often met with violent superstition (although in the heat of battle a few buffs here and there are fine and ignored as adrenaline etc by all involved). So any mentor will be focused on the non-magic aspects of the calling, and any magical aspects can be considered inherent rather than trained.

The reviews/ forums tell me that bard (skald) is less powerful than skald (dragon skald) due to the loss of spellcasting, which makes sense since optimizing 101 seems to be 'don't give up spellcasting'. Doesn't mean it is less fun to play though, just depends on how you feel about each offering. I'm fine with either.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Hey Dex, welcome!
    Cheers! Glad to be aboard!

A bard or skald to record (and commit) deeds of heroism sounds neat.

Let's say the mentor is Grimr Wisetooth. In this campaign setting bards & skalds tent toward covert/ discrete spellcasting (if any). Overt displays of high magic are often met with violent superstition (although in the heat of battle a few buffs here and there are fine and ignored as adrenaline etc by all involved). So any mentor will be focused on the non-magic aspects of the calling, and any magical aspects can be considered inherent rather than trained.

The reviews/ forums tell me that bard (skald) is less powerful than skald (dragon skald) due to the loss of spellcasting, which makes sense since optimizing 101 seems to be 'don't give up spellcasting'. Doesn't mean it is less fun to play though, just depends on how you feel about each offering. I'm fine with either.
    Looking over the campaign info, I'd already come to the conclusion that no casting or subtle spells are the preferred options. In some ways that makes the potential selection of spells a lot easier - anything distinctive or flashy can immediately be discarded. However, the Dragon Skald has to take Alter Wind, Obscuring Mist, and Fog Cloud as their initial spell selections, and fog/mist conjuring could be hard to explain away.

I'm currently leaning for Dragon Skald over Bard Skald. Even discounting spellcasting (or lack thereof), there are a lot of Bard class abilities that I doubt would see much use (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Well Versed). Being a viking-inspired setting, I'm assuming that there will be some longboat travel at some point? Otherwise "Sea Legs" replacing Bardic Knowledge becomes a bit of a wasted class ability.

That said, looking over some of the other setting info, the Spear Maiden Paladin archetype looks interesting as well... decisions, decisions.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Cheers! Glad to be aboard!

Looking over the campaign info, I'd already come to the conclusion that no casting or subtle spells are the preferred options. In some ways that makes the potential selection of spells a lot easier - anything distinctive or flashy can immediately be discarded. However, the Dragon Skald has to take Alter Wind, Obscuring Mist, and Fog Cloud as their initial spell selections, and fog/mist conjuring could be hard to explain away.

I'm currently leaning for Dragon Skald over Bard Skald. Even discounting spellcasting (or lack thereof), there are a lot of Bard class abilities that I doubt would see much use (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Well Versed). Being a viking-inspired setting, I'm assuming that there will be some longboat travel at some point? Otherwise "Sea Legs" replacing Bardic Knowledge becomes a bit of a wasted class ability.

That said, looking over some of the other setting info, the Spear Maiden Paladin archetype looks interesting as well... decisions, decisions.
    Welcome indeed!

I was hesitating between Spear Maiden and my final decision as well. I'm certain some front-line would be well suited, and a little bit of arcane support also wouldn't go awry. :)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

However, the Dragon Skald has to take Alter Wind, Obscuring Mist, and Fog Cloud as their initial spell selections, and fog/mist conjuring could be hard to explain away.
    I read it as these spells are totally optional - they're added to the list of spells that you can choose to have as 'spells known', but must still be chosen as normal (at your discretion).

I do think that beating a war drum that tames the wind spirits would be culturally acceptable though (vs say, summoning a celestial meat shield or casting burning hands).

There will be a number of sea voyages, so Sea Legs will not be wasted.

Yep, also a solid & fun choice...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome!

And is good to know about the sea voyages!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Welcome!

And is good to know about the sea voyages!
    But will there be Sea Turtles? *does best pirate voice*

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey guys, I also got an invite. This looks like its gonna be cool. I haven't tried pathfinder before so I might need a little help with the build. Fortunately I am off today so post physical therapy I'm gonna get going on my character sheet. Any suggestions for like a good first time pathfinder character?
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello and welcome missmvicious.

I'm fairly new to Pathfinder as well, but from what I can tell it's basically 3.5E D&D with some tweaking. So I guess a lot depends on how familiar you are with 3.5E, but one of the things I've already noticed is to be careful with assumptions and to double-check how things work - things like class abilities, skills, and feats that are in both Pathfinder and 3.5 can work somewhat differently in Pathfinder.

As for a character, non-spellcasting classes are usually easier to build/play (from a purely game mechanics & book-keeping perspective) than casting classes. My usual recommendation is to tell us about a character concept that you're interested in playing, and we can suggest some different options that might useful in building towards the concept. Having a read through the campaign info (here and here) might give you some character ideas.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

confused Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice OOC

Weclome!

I'm pretty familiar with PF, most major changes were to classes, and the focus on staying in one class, and some spellcasting, if you ignore spellcasting, you should be good.

d20pfsrd.com is pretty complete.

Don't forget Favored class bonuses though, when you start at 1st level, you choose a favorite class (some races can have more), and whenever you take a level in that class, you can choose a benefit (some classes have racial specific ones), +1 skill, or +1HP.

This covers the majority of what you need, point buy has changed (from 8's to 10's) and therefore is usually lower, Races are more powerful, etc....
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a relative rookie with PF too. I've been playing an inquisitor character in a weekly game for the last 12 months but I've never DM'd a game before.

I agree that the biggest changes seem to be in the classes. Not massive changes to the 'feel' of the classes, but certainly additional or slightly altered class abilities. Also multiclassing/ dipping seems to be less appealing, and prestige classes have been somewhat superseded by archetypes which tweak a class right from level 1 all the way through (as opposed to having to prepare your build and then switch to the PrC later).

I think the best thing is to think of a concept and we can all pitch in to help with any technical or build questions to make it work.

I don't even think that PF spellcasting is too big of a leap to be honest. At level 1 the options are pretty limited, and there is plenty of time to learn the rest as you go.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a relative rookie with PF too. I've been playing an inquisitor character in a weekly game for the last 12 months but I've never DM'd a game before.

I agree that the biggest changes seem to be in the classes. Not massive changes to the 'feel' of the classes, but certainly additional or slightly altered class abilities. Also multiclassing/ dipping seems to be less appealing, and prestige classes have been somewhat superseded by archetypes which tweak a class right from level 1 all the way through (as opposed to having to prepare your build and then switch to the PrC later).

I think the best thing is to think of a concept and we can all pitch in to help with any technical or build questions to make it work.

I don't even think that PF spellcasting is too big of a leap to be honest. At level 1 the options are pretty limited, and there is plenty of time to learn the rest as you go.
    This is true, but for some people, it hurts their brains when they see there is no concentration skill xD
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

How are we going with those character concepts, team? I don't need completed sheets yet but it'd be nice to get a feel for what the party might look like.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a partially completed build for my Dragon Skald.

I'm looking for advice on:

- Traits: I've already taken Child of Heroes for extra skill points; I'm working with the idea that my character is the son of a (semi-)famous explorer and/or longboat captain, hence the rank in Profession (Sailor) and Linguistics. What is another good/appropriate choice?

- Feats: I've selected Skald's Vigor (with the intent to eventually take Greater Skald's Vigor); looking for at least one other option. Does Raging Song count towards feats that require Bardic Performance e.g. Extra Performance, Lingering Performance? The class ability says "A raging song counts as the bard’s bardic performance special ability for any effect that affects bardic performances.", so I'm assuming so.

- Spells: I've selected Daze, Know Direction, Mending, and Resistance for cantrips; and so far Restful Sleep for 1st; I need another 1st. Any suggestions/substitutions?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

So slow on the uptake. Here is giant blooded shield maiden of Wotan.
    Background and gear to do

But here is Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 1 , Level 1, Init 1, HP 12/12, Speed 40
    AC 13, Touch 10, Flat-footed 12, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 1, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Reach Longspear +5 (2d6+4, X3)
    Battle axe +4 (2d6+4, X3)
    Heavy wooden shield (+3 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition None
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

A viking skald and a giantess who follows Wotan/Odin the god of wisdom & madness - looks like this is going to be fun!

How is everyone placed to get character generation pretty much finalised by the end of this coming weekend?

Does Raging Song count towards feats that require Bardic Performance e.g. Extra Performance, Lingering Performance? The class ability says "A raging song counts as the bard’s bardic performance special ability for any effect that affects bardic performances.", so I'm assuming so.
    That sounds correct to me.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I've been stalling, but the mechanics are there, I'll try to finish up fluff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

A viking skald and a giantess who follows Wotan/Odin the god of wisdom & madness - looks like this is going to be fun!

How is everyone placed to get character generation pretty much finalised by the end of this coming weekend?
    My apologies, I've been struggling to find enthusiasm with just about everything lately; I blame this time of year - I hate winter.

I was also hoping for some feedback on my requests for advice, but I've done some updates anyway:
    - selected Extra Performance for additional Feat;
    - taken Rune Reader as second Trait (figured that my skald should know how to read and write, and record our exploits for the ages);
    - taken rank out of Linguistics (no longer required with Rune Reader Trait) and moved it to Knowledge (Geography);
    - taken Cause Fear as additional spell (masked as a battle cry so fearsome that it makes enemies shake and/or run);
    - purchased weapons, armour, and shield;
    - given my character a name (Skorri Erlenson).

I'm still open to advice/suggestions.

Still need to purchase additional equipment, find a picture, and work on background/personality (other than being the child of a famous traveller, and being an apprentice skald). Mechanically should be good to go:

Skorri Erlenson
    Male N Northlander Skald (Dragon Skald), Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, Speed 30'
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 2, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Battleaxe +2 (1d8+2, ×3)
    Shortbow (Arrows (20)) +2 (1d6, ×3)
    Shortspear +2 (1d6+2, ×2)
    Studded leather , Heavy wooden shield (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 14
    Condition None

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies, I've been struggling to find enthusiasm with just about everything lately; I blame this time of year - I hate winter.

I was also hoping for some feedback on my requests for advice, but I've done some updates anyway:
    Yep, I feel you. Coldest day of the year today (so far).

I'm not going to be much better than you on build, but all looks fine from a flavour point of view.

If you want a wider set of traits to choose from there are a bunch (a huge number) on the PFSRD, many of which will be suitable for this campaign.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I was not able to finish my character, I'll try my best to get it done asap
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't sweat it. I'm keen to start but don't want to rush you guys if you need a bit more time.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, mechanically done.

Will need to write up a backstory, but he's a local landowner (Hirdman) who is loyal to jarl Henrikson, his parents having been heroes who adventured with the Jarl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Feels like we still need a bit longer for everyone to finalize characters. Bel's going to be away until the 7th so how about we aim to kick off around then - sound like a plan?

Sill waiting on missmvicious to join, and depending on what the end party makeup is I might throw in an NPC to pad out the overall party capabilities.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm down with that. :)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Aside from adding a little more fluffy the shield maiden is ready to roll
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay team, we're live . I'm looking forward to this one!

IC thread is here. A nice little level 1 intro to the epic Northlands saga.

Any questions just let me know. I'm sure I've overlooked something.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

We didn't pick colors. I officially pick whatever color I used IC. :P

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Okay team, we're live . I'm looking forward to this one!

IC thread is here. A nice little level 1 intro to the epic Northlands saga.

Any questions just let me know. I'm sure I've overlooked something.
    Ghost, can you put that link in the OP please?

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    We didn't pick colors. I officially pick whatever color I used IC. :P
    Oh yeah! I'll grab Bold Red
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A