New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

Akara had been stupidly lost in thought as they trudged through this new land. She hadn't been paying any attention to their backtrail, or it's likely this ambush would've gone the other way. The beasts were still out of range of most of her spells, but perhaps she did have an option to assist her company out with.

with a few choice curse words thrown into the incantation for effect, an explosion of gold covers the two beasts hellbent on approaching them.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

sla's for the day:
    glitterdust, enthrall

cast Glitterdust 1/3, lasts 5 rounds, outlines invisible creatures, -40 to hide checks, Will Save DC 17 or blinded for duration

and then move 30 feet higher in the air
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Korlann watches the odd-colored spiders warily, shifting into a combat stance as he moves closer towards the back of the wagon - putting himself between it and the beasts, he shifts into a readied stance.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    As stated, moving around to the back of the wagon, and readying an action to attack the first spider that moves into melee.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If Three wants to try making more shurikens, that's not a problem - Korlann's got deep pockets, at the moment, despite (or perhaps because of) being a monk. Just let me know what the bill is once all's said and done.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground

Three turned her head back at Korlann’s warning, and cursed as her archives transferred the information of these creatures into her consciousness. Phase spiders were a dangerous breed of creature. But then, so were the members of the Wolftooth Company. The artificer ordered her mules to a halt, before beginning to rush an infusion into her new crossbow. Incarnum and ki may have caught her attention recently, but at the end of the day, her own brand of magic was all she had to work with.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Three uses her Rapid Infusion feat to begin infusing Weapon Augmentation, Personal into her +1 Crossbow to give it the Bane (Magical Beasts) special ability. This takes one round to perform.
    When used against a magical beast, her crossbow functions as a +3 weapon and deals an additional 2d6 damage. The effect lasts for thirty minutes.

Additionally, Three spent the early hours of the morning trying to make shuriken for Korlann: (1d20+5)[8].
    +2 from her ranks in Craft (Weapons), +3 from her Intelligence modifier, she has artisan tools and so does not suffer a penalty from lacking them.
    It again costs three silver and four copper, and requires an 18 or higher to perform.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In the hills east of the Greenbelt
    Afternoon, Nineteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

As Three and Dergosh began preparing for battle, the cloud of glittering motes exploded over the two spiders. And even from seventy feet back, the Company could see the gold dust adhere to the eight, gigantic eyes of the creatures ... blinding them.

The creatures' reaction was immediate. There was a high screeching sort of wail from both of them as they scrabbled around blindly in their positions, legs waving frantically, forelegs flitting at their eyes. Then both of them seemed to turn ... insubstantial, as though they weren't quite there, as though one could almost see through them, though the glittering gold cloud of motes stayed with them and quite clearly revealed their positions.

Show
    So what do you guys want to do?

Three, Akara and Ruk would know from their Knowledge Arcana that a phase spider can't stay on the Ethereal Plane indefinitely, but Akara certainly would know that they can stay on the plane longer than her spell will hold out. On the other hand, both spiders are certainly blinded, and again, Three, Akara and Ruk know from their Knowledge checks that phase spiders can't scent and can't track as such, and whilst they have darkvision and low-light vision, they don't have blindsense or tremorsense. The spiders' speed is halved while blinded, so if the party wanted to it could start running and might be able to lose the spiders in the hills. They picked up your trail in the woods where it was easier to follow; the same might not be said of this territory which is much more grassy and harder to trail.

Another option, of course, is to CHAERG~ and see what happens, but obviously that's potentially more dangerous.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuros brings weapons to hand and looks out toward the disappearing spiders... Not sure how to proceed with fighting them, he asks his allies, "I don't recognize those beasts from Master Gerald's lessons. What are they doing and how do we fight them?"

Show
    Kuros will draw his Hammer, Magic Longsword, and Gladius. Shield should already be ready, but if not he gets that out too. He will also pull a Javelin in case they reappear outside of his melee range.

6. - Top - End - #966

DruidGuy

Kuros, they're known as Phase Spiders. They can move about on the ethereal plane and reappear here. Do NOT let them bite you! We only have a short time, do we attack, or do we flee?
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

7. - Top - End - #967
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Kuros, they're known as Phase Spiders. They can move about on the ethereal plane and reappear here. Do NOT let them bite you! We only have a short time, do we attack, or do we flee?
    Earful pain? Dergosh wondered. "Three," he said turning to the construct, "why big spiders look all see-though?"
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

8. - Top - End - #968

Three inspected her newly upgraded crossbow for a long moment after Dergosh spoke to her. This wasn't to inspect the quality of her infusion- she was sure that was fine. But Three found the idea of explaining the interactions between the Prime Material and the Ethereal Plane to Dergosh of all people to be a greater challenge than facing down any amount of Phase Spiders. She decided that the best way was not to mention the planes at all, and instead focus on the tactical implications. She looked at the half-orc and spoke a bit quicker than normal, "They use magic to cheat, Dergosh. We can only see them right now because of Akara's spell, but they're trying to be invisible. And when they're invisible, we can't see them, but they can see us if they get close, and we can't hit them. But they can become visible, attack us, and become invisible again very fast. And when they're invisible, they can fly through the air and the ground."

It was... not the best explanation, but hopefully it was good enough for her friend to grasp the issues here. Then Three responded to Akara. "I don't care if we fight or leave. If we're going to flee, then everyone get in the wagon and I'll order the mules on. If we're going to fight -" Three paused. She was neither a tactictian nor a skilled warrior, but even a poor plan is better than just waiting to be attacked, right? "- then... we should fight defensively. Form... a tight perimeter to prevent being blindsided and focus our fire on whichever one we injure first." Three kept the words "I guess?" from coming out of her mouth. She was not confident in this plan, and hoped that one of the actual warriors - Korlann, Dergosh, Kuros, and perhaps even Akara - would come up with a better one, if they decide to fight.

9. - Top - End - #969

DruidGuy

the time for talk being over, it was the time for action. Akara had but one offensive spell that could hurt these things when they were phased out, and with a few gestures and words, let fly her wrath upon them.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

i want to kill 1 at least, so here's a series of rolls. once one is dead, ignore the rest of the rolls and we'll decide from there.
    magic missile, CL 5=3 missiles, 1d4+1 each, +3 damage to the first one from warmage edge, so 3d4+6 per casting.

round 1 (3d4+6)[13]
    round 2 (3d4+6)[14]
    round 3 (3d4+6)[16]
    round 4 (3d4+6)[15]
    round 5 (3d4+6)[13]

assuming one dies, i'll ready an action to cast lesser orb of fire on the one remaining when/should it return to view
    Show

10. - Top - End - #970

OrcBarbarianGuy

“Guess it time to kill cheating not-invisible spiders,” he said and made a throwing motion, though instead of throwing a physical spear he again manifested the iron-shafted hook-blade spear which began stabbing at the nearest spider.

Show
    Dergosh wouldn’t know that he needs a force spell to hit the phase spiders, BUT it is his only spell with enough range to reach them so I think I can justify it on that basis. Casting spiritual weapon.

Attack/damage rolls:
    1 - (1d20+6)[18]
    (1d8+1)[5]
    2 - (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d8+1)[5]
    3 - (1d20+6)[14]
    (1d8+1)[6]
    4 - (1d20+6)[14]
    (1d8+1)[8]
    5 - (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d8+1)[4]
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In the hills east of the Greenbelt
    Afternoon, Nineteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

The hills sparked with flarings of light as fusillade after fusillade of magic missiles and Gruumsh's weapon tore into the phase spiders. As they were on the Ethereal Plane, the Company couldn't hear the spiders' shrieking, making the sight disturbingly peaceful. Green ichor exploded from joints and the spiders' thoraxes, and in seconds, both spiders had collapsed to the ground, twitching, unmoving, bodies broken. A moment passed, and their corpses reappeared on the Prime Material plane with a gentle thump. It was over.

Show
    That's 533 XP for each of you. Mark off the Glitterdust usage, 5 magic missiles, the Spiritual Weapon spell, Shield of Faith, and the bane infusion. There's enough hits and damage from Akara and Dergosh in that lot to take out both. There's no treasure on the phase spiders' bodies.

Did you guys want to continue at normal pace, stop for the day, something else?

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In the hills southeast of the Greenbelt
    Nightfall to Sunrise, 19-20 Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

After conducting a cursory examination of the phase spiders' bodies to see if anything useful could be garnered from the corpses, the Company turned and resumed its course deeper into the hills.

There were a couple of moments where Kuros had been forced to hesitate and recheck his sense of where their trek was leading. Navigating in the hills wasn't as simple as it might have otherwise appeared to someone who'd been thrashing through forest for the past couple of weeks; there were dead ends, box canyons, and interesting game trails that petered out into nothingness. But he managed - by hook or by crook - to keep the Company on the right course, and as the western sky filled with reds and oranges, he knew he'd kept them unerringly east by southeast the whole day. Better still, he'd managed to steer them to a shallow defile wide and flat enough to bring the mules and the wagon off the horizon. There was enough overhang from the rocks to create a very modest sort of shelter, and plenty of vantage points to cover the Company's rest. It was deep enough to light a campfire at the bottom against a large boulder, which reflected the heat and even had a trickling fountain from a cleft in the rocks. Best of all - it didn't look like it was going to rain. A decent night's rest seemed very likely, and -- on Kuros's estimates, given the ground they'd covered -- the odds were on they'd reach the Old Sycamore by noon tomorrow.

Most of the Company had had luck with foraging across the day as well. Ruk had been quick enough to bring down a duck in pseudodragon form, Dergosh speared two pheasants in one very lucky throw from his harpoon, Korlann's quickness had caught him a brace of rabbits, and Kuros had managed to crack the head of a good-sized turkey that had been wandering fatefully down the defile. However, Akara hadn't managed to get a shot on anything edible, and neither had Three.

Show
    Akara fails the forage roll and marks off one trail ration; everyone's waterskins emptied across the day but are refilled as the Company found a water source. Three doesn't need to eat, but failed the forage roll anyway. Everyone else successfully forages, so no deduction of trail rations for them. The mules still find enough grass for themselves to tide them over.

Looks like a pleasant enough night ahead. Might want to specify spell selections and similar for tomorrow (i.e. 20 Kythorn). Maybe it's worth thinking about if you're going to take any particular approach to arriving at the Old Sycamore. It's said to be infested with gremlins, as said, the lowest of the goblin kind, and your party certainly knows they're on a war footing with the Sootscales at least. Proceeding at slow pace might help you come up on the place unannounced, but obviously it'd take longer, i.e. the whole day and you arrive by nightfall; proceeding at normal or fast will get you there by noon or quicker, but obviously the odds of getting there quietly are less ... if indeed you want to turn up quietly, and the chances of getting lost are higher.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

As the day came to a close and the party was getting comfortable in camp, Ruk made his way over to Akara’s place by the fire, freshly plucked and cleaned duck in hand. He smiled a genial, toothy, kobold grin and sat down next to her. Humming lightly, he butchered the bird and affixed its parts onto different skewers he had procured earlier. Wings on one, thighs on another, and the like. As he set the skewers over the flames to cook, he turned again to the Illumian.
    “It’s thrilling to have another arcane practitioner as a part of our little posse. Especially one of your apparent skill. Without you, I’m not sure we would have survived that encounter with those spiders.”
    He looked back into the flames, turning the skewers.
    “You’ve risked your life more than once for us, and provided invaluable aid. And we still know so little about you. And you about us... Anything you wish to know, I’ll do my best to answer.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

14. - Top - End - #974

DruidGuy

Turning to Ruk, Akara answers in kind.

I've no doubt that the Company would've survived, you are a resourceful lot, but thanks for the compliment none the less.

What is this tree we are marching towards, and what is our purpose once we arrive there? Our goal? Does this have anything to do w/ teh stag lord?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

“Mm. Indeed.”
    Ruk removed the duck parts from the fire, placing them in front of Akara. He took a wing to gnaw on.
    “This tree, as far as we know, is the base of operations for the tribe of jermlaine - gremlins - that call the belt home. This location is of some import to us for various reasons. For one, our own base of operation is a place called Oleg’s Trading post. Oleg and his wife Svetlana have been excellent hosts for our missions thus far and good friends. Svetlana had her ring stolen by these gremlins, which is how we first heard of the place. Later in our travels we came into the company of one of the local Kobold tribe, Marmuk. He told us about the war between his tribe and the gremlins that has been raging for some time now. A good deal of the hostility seems to be based around some sort of relic that Marmuk’s tribe’s leader is interested in. As for the Stag Lord, after that encounter we had with Chauntea at the temple I’m beginning to think all of this mess is related somehow, yes. Strange dealings with fey in these woods. Strange indeed.”
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

16. - Top - End - #976

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh was licking the pheasant grease from his fingers, having saved the entrails, some crispy skin, and roasted feet for Pig, as he listened to Ruk's explanation.

"Big tree, with goblins. We kill goblins and take their stuff," he clarified.

17. - Top - End - #977

DruidGuy

I know this may sound strange, especially coming from one such as I, but would it not perhaps be better to talk to the jermlains instead of outright attacking them?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In the hills southeast of the Greenbelt
    Nightfall to Sunrise, 19-20 Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

Two problems with that, babe. Eral was floating nearby as if he were some blobby dragon-shape leaning back in an invisible lounge chair. Eighty pieces of silver slowly orbited him like a constellation of small moons. First up is that kobolds and gremlins really don't get along. You should've heard the way they talk about them in Kurtulmak's court, I was there a few centuries back. If there's a gremlin hideout and a kobold domain this close to each other it's amazing they haven't tried to wipe each other out before now. If a gremlin sees the boss ambling along with you I'd guess he's likely going to think you're not friendly. Second problem is the language. Gremlins only speak Undercommon. Any of you lot know that tongue?

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruk snorted at Dergosh’s synopsis.
    “Spot on, Dergosh, as always.”
    Following Eral’s statement, Ruk nodded and picked at the ground with his skewer.
    “I’ll admit, I have no interest in parlay. Even if I did speak the tongue.”

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, Southeast of the Greenbelt
    Late morning, 20th of Kythorn
    Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

The Company set off deeper into the hills at dawn. They set a quick pace, the mules pulling mightily at the wagon as they hustled over yellow downs and rocky slopes unerringly south by southwest.

The Old Sycamore was, as had been said to them, visible for miles around. They caught the first glimpse of it a good five or six miles out, on the horizon first as a tiny twig, then steadily increasing in size, its scale daunting even at this distance. It was hard to tell whether the great tree’s growth was natural or some other force was involved, but either way, it stood like some long-lost monarch’s cyclopean statue a few miles ahead, dry branches silhouetted against the clear blue sky.

They had clearly passed into a land at war. Three times as the morning went on the Company came across long-dead corpses of kobolds and gremlins, their little bodies stripped of anything useful, lying where they had fallen on the field. For some of the Company it was their first look at gremlins; the creatures were no more than three feet high and seemed to have overly large heads for their bodies, eye sockets oversized knotholes in decaying heads, tiny sharpened teeth in black, rictus grins.

It was getting on toward noon when Kuros, stretching his six arms in the back of the wagon, straightened and noticed it. The wagon had crossed clean over the top of it, and he had no hesitation in calling for a halt, and vaulting down off the back of the wagon to crouch on the ground, peering at what he saw there.

Spoiler: Kuros
    Show
    The wagon had passed right over a disturbed patch of ground. That said, given the number of tracks he now saw, it still wasn’t hard to spot. A good twelve creatures had passed this way, and recently. The tiny footpads, toe markings, and length of stride in the churned ground suggested to Kuros immediately that the tracks were those of gremlins.

The big man followed the marks with his eyes, gaze rising toward the horizon, getting his bearings again.

Spoiler: Kuros
    Show
    The path of the gremlins led very clearly southeast. And given the Company’s current location, it seemed almost certain that the gremlin war party – if it was a war party – was headed right for the Sootscale Caverns. Or if it wasn’t, it sure was going to pass close to it.

Kuros made a swift estimate. The tracks weren’t recent, but even so, there were good odds that if the Company turned now and kept its swift pace, they might be able to catch these twelve gremlins around mid-afternoon and before the creatures reached the Sootscale Caverns. But doing so would surely mean that if they then turned to approach the Old Sycamore again after running down the gremlins, it would be sunset before they arrived at the ancient tree, and after nightfall if they made a slow, careful approach.

It was a quandary. Twelve gremlins might be able to be handled by the Sootscale Clan, depending on what Ruk thought, but taking them in daylight was surely a better bet, and even outnumbered two to one the odds seemed to be in the Company’s favour if they caught them there. But that would mean postponing the assault on the Old Sycamore as well, and the longer they stayed in this area, the more chance word might get back to the Sycamore that a well-armed party of six with a kobold leader was in the area.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

"Found tracks," Kuros calls out after doing his examinations of the churned earth beneath them, "I think it may be a Gremlin war party. There is about a dozen and they are heading right for the Kobold caverns we heard of."

Kuros looks to the sky to see how much daylight is left, trying to gauge the age of the tracks vs how much ground the company can put behind them. "We can catch the war party before they hit the caverns, but it will be late in the day before reaching the Sycamore afterward. Sunset if we pull another fast march, or nighttime if we roll up the the Sycamore quiet and cautious."

Kuros addresses the group, "Any preferences? Personally I like the idea of running this group down. It will give us an idea of what force these gremlins can bring to bear. It also has the added benefits of helping out the Sootscale. Downsides being that the longer we remain in the area, the more chance a random Gremlin scout has to see us, with a kobold in the group, and start making plans for us."

22. - Top - End - #982

DruidGuy

Flying down lower so as to be heard w/o shouting, Akara adds in her 2 coppers worth.

I don't like the idea of leaving hostiles in our backtrail. I say we run them down and then bivouac for the night, hit the tree in the morning.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #983

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh shrugged, but remained silent. Whatever goblins needed killing he was fine with.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

"If we're intending to ally with the Sootscales," Korlann comments, "it won't do for us to get this idol only to leave them dealing with an assault we could've prevented. We can intercept the gremlins first, and then figure out whether we hit the Sycamore tonight, or change our plans."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruk bristled at the news of the war party. He was bound to aid his kin, he couldn’t possibly knowingly leave them to defend themselves against the gremlins, but he would have much preferred to introduce himself to the tribe as a conqueror, with idol in hand. Going to the sycamore after making contact, and possibly being seen as doing the Sorcerer’s dirty work - just like the rest of the tribe - was not an image he wanted to present.
    Nothing can be easy, can it?

“They must be crushed. There’s no other option.”

26. - Top - End - #986

Three brought the wagon to a stop behind Kuros and began to take a mental count - but that quickly proved pointless. Everyone, except for an oddly quiet Dergosh, said they were in favor of hunting the little creatures down. She was as well, and spoke to make that clear: "Shall we change course, then? If we're going to hunt these things down, we should go now."

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Midafternoon, 20th of Kythorn

The Company took up the pursuit, angling their path southeast once more, following the trail. That, at least, was straightforward enough; the gremlins didn’t seem to be trying to conceal their path, and they were able to pick up a swift pace, bringing the mules at a trot over the windy hills.

Even better was that the gremlins happened to be choosing a path of little resistance; at this speed, Kuros became certain that they’d overtake the gremlins well before nightfall.

They sped on, past noon, the sun beginning to bow westward behind them, casting shadows ahead.

However, their path was swift – and overconfident. The trail brought the Company into a defile between two low hills.

And it was here that a sudden wave of fear crashed across each of them. Korlann felt it like an assault on his mind, and the instincts ground into him at Thessaris Valenti immediately kicked in: he drew his senses and emotions back into a fortress in his consciousness, letting the wave crash fruitlessly against its walls.

Three had a similar set of subroutines that kicked in just as efficiently; the fear was attempting to what one of her archives called ‘haqq’ her emotional centres, but her firewalls shunted the thought away, the Han’Ti’Vy’Ral rituals inscribed into her performing their jobs well.

Dergosh felt something wasn’t quite right, and his race’s genetic heritage responded accordingly. A part of his consciousness ambled out of its Platonic cave, scratched its underarm for a moment, hit the sensation of fear over the head with a large club, and ambled back inside.

Akara certainly felt the spell break over her. She wasn’t immune to its power and therefore concluded it wasn’t an enchantment, but neither did the sudden wave of feeling have much force to it, and her mind flicked it away with a wave of her metaphorical fingers.

Kuros, though, felt a nameless dread fill the fibre of his being, filling his muscles, making his hands tremble.

And Ruk?
    Ruk saw the oversized eyes of gremlins in the trees and bushes all around him. Their eyes seemed to grow overlarge as the wave of fear broke over him. Its power struck as one – now two – iterations of the gremlins’ dreadful abilities tore into him, at the genetic level, as magic compelled him to remember what caused such enmity between kobold and gremlin, as a voice pounded in his mind: flee. Flee. Flee.

And the whole Company became aware of the little, snarling, blue-faced creatures in the bushes and trees all around them, in a beautifully executed ambush that they’d walked right into.

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

Well, trailing down a war party at fast pace that’s on the alert is going to impose penalties on the Spot checks. And fast pace imparts an effective +4 on Spot checks for your opponents, so the gremlins had a chance to get hidden pretty effectively.

The party got hit with 11 Doom checks from every gremlin out here. Almost two for each of you. That said, most of the party saved and quite convincingly – Dergosh got a 12 on the nose.

Ruk failed his first roll, though, and so was shaken; then he failed another one (given his saves get nerfed by 2), and cumulative fear effects stack, taking him from shaken to frightened – which means he has no option but to flee this round, though which direction and whether he uses magic or not are totally up to him.

Kuros also failed his second saving throw, and thus, is also shaken.

As said, 11 gremlins here in total. Two of them – Gremlin Leader 1 and 2 – look a lot better-built than the average pathetic gremlin, though. All of them are at least five feet off the ground in the trees and bushes around you, meaning they have height advantage on attack and so on. In addition, the ones in the northwest part of the map are on an elevated patch of ground, so really about level with Akara.

That said, it’s not a surprise round, the gremlins basically got that when they hit you with the Doom wave.

Initiative Count:
    Dergosh: +10 – 29
    Akara: +8 - 25
    Gremlins: +1 – 21
    Three: +9 – 20
    Kuros: +4 – 14 (Shaken)
    Ruk: +0 - 9 (Frightened)
    Korlann: +3 – 4

28. - Top - End - #988

OrcBarbarianGuy

“HELLO GOBLINS!” Dergosh bellowed with a gleam in his eye. “Come play with the Wolftooth Army of Gruumsh!” He jabbed his mace in the air, roaring, “BLESSED ARE THE GOBLIN CRUSHERS!” and then stormed northwards, intent on dealing with the fat gremlin on that edge of the group.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast bless on the party -- +1 attacks and +1 to saving throws against fear effects. Move action to G22, taking advantage of any cover the trees give him against gremlins 8 and/or 10, or the incline against number 4.

29. - Top - End - #989

DruidGuy

Snarling, as much at herself as at their quarry, Akara quickly sees the leader directly behind her. the first precept of war being, cut off the head and the body will surely follow.

"By the Halls, I sentence you to Death!"
    Spoiler: actions
    Show

cast lesser orb of acid at gremlin champion

ranged touch at +1 to hit from Dergosh

(1d20+6)[10]
    no save, no sr, for (3d8+3)[12]

Show

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Midafternoon, 20th of Kythorn

Akara's orb went sizzling wide of its target. The creature instead went scrabbling after Dergosh, swinging a short sword that seemed overly large for its tiny size. Even so, it managed to slice in at Dergosh's leg and drew a nasty cut.

The other gremlins screeched and started throwing knives. They were tiny, pathetic, badly-balanced and rusty, but they came at the Company like a swarm of steel. Two of the gremlins leapt out of their trees and threw at Dergosh, though both missed. Another knife nicked Korlann's shoulder. And another spannngged off Three's chest, sending a piece of wood flying. The rest of the knives missed their intended targets...

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

6 hitpoints of damage on Dergosh.
    2 hitpoints of damage on Korlann.
    1 hitpoint of damage on Three.

Initiative Count:
    Dergosh: +10 – 29
    Akara: +8 - 25
    Gremlins: +1 – 21
    Three: +9 – 20