Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

Ruk's eyes bulged at the Skarn's words before his mouth broke into a toothy grin.
    "A thousand thanks, Korlann. I will not forget this, duty or no."

---------

The day went on and Ruk worked tirelessly. Immediately he set out to drawing schematics in the dirt, trying desperately to transfer the instructions he had received the night before into the physical realm, terrified that he would forget some part of the transmission and fail. Once he had drawn out all his plans however, he found that the memory had not faded in the slightest. A static manual had appeared in his mind, and it didn't seem to be going anywhere. Ruk snorted at the thought before going back to work. The next phase of the process was gathering supplies and utilizing the gold he now had. In his travel sized crucible he melted down the coins. It was a lot of gold and a small crucible, so this took a while. Once his gold was melted and purified, he went to the process of adding various alchemical reagents to the cooling liquid, achieving a paint-like consistency that held better than the gold would otherwise have at the mild temperatures of camp.
    Using this golden paint mixture, Ruk set to drawing his summoning circle. In a cleared space in the camp the Kobold drew 5 interlocking circles. Each of the places where the circles intersected created an interesting pattern that looked something like a five pointed flower, and the center of the drawing created a pentagon large enough for him to place a cushion to sit on. Within each intersection of the circles Ruk marked a symbol, of what he wasn't sure, that he had seen in the image in his mind. Finally, within the lines of the farthest parts of each circle he placed an alchemical ingredient associated with each of Tiamat's chosen: a bit of earth in one, a bowl of water in another, a smoking incense stick in the next, some chilling dust in yet another, and in the last a bottle of... air.
    At this point, he was ready, and the sun was beginning to set. The kobold carefully made his way to his cushion and sat down.
    "In Tiamat's name, she of five faces and five colors, sovereign of kobolds, dragons, and all their kin, I require access to the multitude planes to complete my mission."
    Three great chiming tones sounded. Ruk wasn't sure if he heard them in his head or if they were truly audible. Before he had a chance to look around at his party an otherworldly female voice spoke.
    Welcome to the planar summoning portal access menu. If you wish to commune with an outside being, say "One." If you wish to bind or enslave an outsider, say "Two." If you wish to speak with an agent of the planes, say "Three." Sjek wux ornla hefoc ekess widegoa dout gavir persvek Vs'shtak, yenta: ixen.
    Ruk started.
    "Er... Three!"
    Transferring you to our planar agency. Please hold while we connect you.
    "...Okay."
    Planar Agency, this is Ebabon and just so you know this line may be being scryed for quality assurance purposes, how can I direct your summoning this evening?
    "Oh um. Hi I'm looking to summon an agent of Tiamat to aid me in accessing planar magic? I think?"
    Oh sure yeah buddy give me a minute here I've got just the guy.
    The air went still suddenly. In fact it went still for some time. Ruk would have begun to think that the ritual had failed, but there was some strange chiming of an ancient hymn in his head that made him think there was still something going on. Suddenly the chiming stopped and the voice returned.
    Hey alright man I've got your guy. His name's Eral. Great gen, real jack of all trades type dude. And best of all he's got a little bit of dragon gunk in there too! Follower of Tiamat just like you. You need anything else?
    "No... I suppose not. Thank you for your help Ebabon."
    Sure man yeah no problem man. You need anything else don't hesitate to give a call and make sure to ask for me. And if you get a chance I'd love if you could do a survey for-
    Ruk hurriedly rubbed out one of the paint lines in his pentagon and the line went quiet. Anxiety gripped him for a moment. He may have destroyed the link between worlds that would allow the gen to reach him. What would he tell Korlann?
    Before his panic fully set in there was a loud CRACK in the air, and before him was a floating being of shimmering colors. The creature was largely amorphous, but had a vaguely draconic look.
    Hey boss. Eral, at your service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Three had been observing Ruk’s ritual for the better part of the day, only losing out on the early stages of it to gather food for any of her Companions who may go hungry otherwise. She would have to ask the kobold what she missed later- every part of a ritual helps to determine its end result, and one designed and granted by a deity would surely be worthy of study. The artificer sat a good distance away from Ruk, far enough away to not disturb him or his practice. Three carefully sketched a diagram of his summoning seal and the strange symbols therin, while keeping notes on a separate sheet detailing the steps that Ruk seemed to be taking in preparation for his spell.

The warforged had not actually spoken the Ruk that day until the start of sunset, when the kobold sat down and began the most important part of his ritual. For reasons unbeknownst to the warforged, Ruk had said "Er... Three!”

The exclamation surprised Three. Taken aback, she responded awkwardly. “Huh? Oh… em, yes?”

When no response came, she assumed that his nervous word was merely a part of the summoning, and continued to observe. Moments later, Ruk broke his circle and a noise resounded throughout the camp. Its source was a strange being whose shape constantly changed from one moment to the next, who delighted the air it floated in with a large array of colors. Three did not know what it was, but knew that it was the end result of the ritual and needed to be sketched as well. If only it held a constant form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Deep Woods, The Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Sunset, Fifteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

Marmuk immediately fell to his knees, hands raised, bowing from the waist repeatedly. He started shouting in Draconic.

Spoiler
    Show
    All hail the mighty puissance of She Who Breathes! Behold the glorious servitor of the Many-Faced Queen! Tremble and give worship, brief mortals!

4. - Top - End - #754
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh awoke to a commotion in the camp, sitting up from his bedroll where he had placed it on the cold, comforting, rocky ground. He snatched up his mace and quickly strode over to where the small black nuisance of a kobold was shouting at a floating blob.

“No, we not kill it yet, Muckmuck,” he growled at the kobold’s histrionics. “We wait to see what it say first, then we kill it.” He looked over to Ruk and asked, “What you catch, Ruk? This breakfast?”
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 26/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, mending, resistance, virtue; 1st- bless, command D (DC 14), shield of faith, summon monster I; 2nd- bull’s strength, sonic weaponD, sound burst (DC 15 Fort partial)
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruk turned to address Dergosh, a small nervous smile on his face. “Uhm. Well, not caught, summoned. This is Eral. He’s my uh...”
    Familiar. Companion. Fellow servant of the five colors.
    “Right. That. He’s supposed to aid me in accessing planar powers of some kind.”
    Ruk turned to the elemental.
    “How exactly does that work anyway?”
    Ah, well I can basically barter with outside powers and borrow spells from then. Some are harder to get than others, and I actually already have some connections for certain spell effects if you want to take a look.
    A small paper materialized in front of the Gen.
    Spoiler: Known Spell Connections
    Show
    Read Magic
    Mending
    Mage Hand
    Touch of Fatigue
    Light
    Enlarge Person
    Silent Image
    Charm Person

Ruk perused the list in front of him, scratching his chin.
    “Huh. Alright. Let’s try it. Eral, please bring me a Light spell.”
    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show

(1d20+10)[23]
    20 Succeeds in bringing back the spell.
    (1d4)[2] to determine how many rounds it takes for Eral to return with the spell on a success.
    (1d4)[3] to determine for how many minutes Eral is detained if the Diplomacy check fails by 5 or more.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The Gen's colours whirled for a moment. By your command.

And it disappeared.

Marmuk blinked, getting up off his knees.
    Jhod unfolded his arms from where he'd been watching across the way. "How long does it take before he--"

The air cracked open again, and Eral reappeared. Marmuk fell back to his knees, bowing. This time, though, the Gen had a small ball of white light orbiting it, zipping around Eral's blobby form like some manic little moon. A faint smell of sweetness, of roses, billowed across the ground. Gotta love Ambisenius, she's such a sweet girl ... ah, yeah. Okay, boss, brace yourself, the first time this happens it can be a bit random. There was a guy back in Netheril I did this for, his, uh, nether regions swelled up to the size of grapefruit. Hey, they still have grapefruit, don't they?

The ball of white light orbiting the Gen leaped across the distance between Eral and Ruk, lighting on Ruk's forehead and disappearing.
    Arcane knowledge (and the merged taste of coconut milk and metal) suffused the kobold's mind. The spell was his.

Oh, cool, you're still alive! Eral's colours swirled happily.

"And that's how you're going to be obtaining spells from here on in?" said Jhod, patting his combover and unable to conceal a grin. He wasn't sure why listening to the Gen kept reminding him of oranges, but put it to one side for the time being.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I am so assuming everyone can hear Eral. :D

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruk flinched slightly as Eral bestowed the spell.
    “Ahem. I mean, yes, of course. I was blessed by Tiamat to handle spell energy. Shame about that man though...”

Ruk turned to Jhod, “Well I suppose this is a new avenue of power for me to pursue for a while. I still have access to my innate magics, and I would like to continue to develop them at some point, but I have a feeling that Eral will be quite useful.”
    Ruk then searched the ground for a rock about the size of his fist.
    Light.” The stone began to glow like a torch.
    Ruk looked at his friends with glee.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2019-05-31 at 01:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

Kuros, still recovering though feeling better after a nights rest, looks on from where he lays in his bedroll and asks, "So I don't understand magic well... but basically you ask your new friend there to bring you a spell so you can cast it... and since you just made that rock glow I assume that is the spell he brought... so now he needs to go grab that spell again each time you want some light? Would be easier to keep a torch handy in my opinion..."

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruk furrowed his brow.
    “Well it’s not as if this is the only spell he can retrieve for me. Also, I can put this rock in my pocket without worrying about setting myself on fire.”

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Nah, you only have to worry about that if I bring back a Produce Flame spell, said Eral, flickering. Oh. Um ... hey! A genuine warforged, how about that! The gen zipped over to Three, Eral's vaguely draconic form seeming to squint at the rune on her forehead. That's weird, normally that'd read 'Yntel Ynside', are you some sort of custom job?

11. - Top - End - #761
    Orc in the Playground

Three shifted the papers she had been scribbling on off of her legs, more out of surprise than a want to hide what she had been doing. She had not expected to become the topic of conversation, but didn’t mind it, not when the creature she was speaking to was as interesting as an extraplanar.
    “Yes, I was created by an elderly elf named Eron.” Three nodded her head as she spoke, well aware that her Ghulra meant “Chev Eron”, her former master’s personal slogan. She was not, however, aware of what “Yntel Ynside” meant. Nor was she aware that there were warforged who were not custom jobs. “Are… we produced en masse somewhere? I know of the warforged of Adaerglast, though I did not think that there were enough of us for any of us to be considered a ‘standard job.'"
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Oh, this little dust patch isn't the only place in the multiverse they make warforged. Seen a lot of your, ah, make, on Mechanus, I even picked up a nice enchantment of Dictum over there once from a warforged with a cannon installed in his forehead who called himself Threepointonefour. Got it at a bargain price, too, I only had to trade away five minutes of my master's afterlife to get it. Eral twinkled. But anyway, I can also perform the usual range of unremunerated peon duties earthens often get beautiful creatures like me to do. Although for planar accounting purposes it'll have to be the boss who asks me to do stuff, not you. Part and parcel of being a sort of genie.
    "You're a genie?" said Jhod, aghast. Even he had heard of the legendary power of the creatures who had once ruled the lands where Calimshan now stood.
    Type of genie, replied Eral. Most specifically, I'm a gen, not a genie, missing the 'ie', by which I mean, that is, i.e. haha, I can't do wishes and I can't do impersonations and I can't bust into musical numbers or talk about phenomenal cosmic power and itty bitty living space. But I can stand on watch if you like, and I can look around to see if there's anything of interest in the area, but thanks to the Planar Accounting Service once again, they didn't leave me with any ability to see in the dark or sense tremors or even track things by scent. I tell ya what, never mind Mechanus, the only constant force in the universe is the bureaucratic mindset.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Morning, Sixteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

The night passed uneventfully. Daybreak was announced.

Ding ding ding! This is your scheduled wake-up call, set automatically by Sirih, which comes free with my other functions as assigned by the Planar Accounting--
    Marmuk's dagger thunked into the tree next to Eral, and the gen shut up.

Kuros having fully recovered from his injuries and capable of carrying on conversations with more than single syllables again, the Company gathered its gear and headed off exploring the Greenbelt once more. The weather was turning again, thick dark clouds gathering as the morning wore on and they continued their explanation. Now and then a half-enthusiastic rumble of thunder sounded off in the distance, but the rain held off, leaving a heavy sort of feeling in the air. It turned the morning oppressive.

Indeed it turned the morning light appropriately, because as the sky darkened, two familiar-looking wolves came slowly padding out of a copse of trees ahead of the wagon, turning suddenly with a look of animal surprise on their snouts. Ser Pig the boar, trundling behind the wagon, gave a screech of alarm and started to dive for the nearest bush...

Show
    What do you all do? It's immediately apparent that these two wolves are indeed some of the same ones that attacked your little wagon train yesterday.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Orc in the Playground

Upon sighting the wolves, Three immediately yanked hard on her mules’ reins and barked an order to bring the wagon to an abrupt halt. Her first instinct was, for once, to use a scroll instead of her crossbow- the two wolves were surrounded by trees, grass, and other plantlife, making them enticing targets for her last Entangle scroll. But using that on only two wolves would be a waste.
    Last time, she hesitated, and the Company lost two of its animals. This time, Three drew her crossbow and launched a bolt at the wolf furthest from the Company. With luck, she’d hit it and it would leave a trail of blood for Kuros to follow, so that the adventurers could wipe the pack out entirely.

Show
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[8].
    Critical confirmation, if roll is a 24 or 25: (1d20+5)[24].
    Damage Roll: (1d8)[2].
    Critical Damage Roll: (1d8)[1].

Notes: Three of Three has 100 bolts remaining.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Morning, Sixteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

Three was as fast as could be expected, but even then the bolt went wide and the wolves took off running, quickly crashing into the nearby brush and disappearing, the noise of their retreat easily audible as they crashed through fallen leaves and the brush.
    "Must have been on their own," said Jhod, coming up alongside Three. "The last time they came up on us they hung around."
    Winter is coming, intoned Eral. He'd taken on some sort of accent; Three's systems identified it as an attempt at Damaran, a sort of brogue that had a good chance of massacring the Common tongue.
    Ser Pig came trotting shamefacedly out of the bushes again, grunting.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh growled, disappointed that he hadn't been quick enough to skewer one of the wolves with his Gruumsh-spear and haul back to him for proper retributive measures. Wolves had caused poor Bahgtru to run off an be killed by stupid tree goblins, after all, or...the half-orc scratched at his scalp, frowning...or something like that. Dergosh wasn't sure. What he was sure of was that a wolf's head and pelt would make a fine hood and cloak.

"Good shot, Three, scared them away again." He looked around at the company and declared, "No use chasing them, they run and hide. Better watch for them to come back from behind again."
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 26/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, mending, resistance, virtue; 1st- bless, command D (DC 14), shield of faith, summon monster I; 2nd- bull’s strength, sonic weaponD, sound burst (DC 15 Fort partial)

Show

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Early afternoon, Sixteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

The weather got worse as the morning wore on. The first raindrops struck at high noon, and the woods were quickly filled with the hiss of rain hitting the thick foliage of the Greenbelt. Nonetheless, the Company kept moving, Three relying more on her memory for later recording of the main features of the area.

It was about an hour later that the trees began to thin, around the same time as the first rolls of thunder began and occasional lightning flashed around them. And the Company realised it wasn't alone.

Ahead of them was a small hillock, where time and the elements had carved a small limestone cave into the hill. All around it stood the wolf pack, eight wolves.
    There was no doubt it was the same pack they'd encountered earlier. Same colours of pelts, same sizes. But the pack had clearly been taken off guard - a factor of the thunder and the rain. They immediately began snarling, hackles up, standing their ground but pacing back and forth.
    It was at that moment that another wolf emerged from the cave. This one had a wolf pup in its mouth, holding it by the scruff of the neck. The wolfess began to move away from the cave mouth, heading away from the party...

Show
    What do you do?

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruk quickly looks to Eral.
    “Bring me an Enlarge Person spell. Quickly!”

Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+8)[22]
    Rounds to Return: (1d4+1)[3]

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

Once again, Three forced the wagon to a sudden stop. The wolves were defensive, and she could see why: if there was one pup, then there were multiple, and they wanted to protect their young. This situation left the Wolftooth Company in a bit of a moral quandary- the adults were a threat and had attacked before, costing the adventurer’s two of their animals, but the young wolves were currently harmless. “Currently” was, of course, the operative word here. Three had no doubt that they would be a threat in the coming years.

Still, she found she didn’t have it in her to force an engagement that might lead to the deaths of the little creatures. Instead, she drew her crossbow and kept it trained on the pack, ready to launch a bolt if they made any offensive movements. She questioned the Company while aiming down her weapon’s sight: “What do we do here?”

Show

Three of Three readies an action to attack a wolf with her crossbow if it makes offensive movements or other actions.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Derogsh stared at the wolf pack, using the back of his wrist to mop at the rain that was running down the side of his face. He wanted to kill the pack for their part in chasing his horse to its death at the hands of the tree goblins, but he was wary of the situation. The rain made his mace feel slippery as he squeezed its leather-wrapped haft in his right hand, and he didn’t like how the wolves had grouped up in defense of their young.

Three> “What do we do here?”

The cleric squinted as the rain pelted him. “Can anyone talk to wolf?” he asked, looking mostly at Jhod who seemed kind of woodsy to him. “Tell them we kill them next time if they attack. Tell them we already kill werewolf, regular wolf not too hard.”

He looked over his shoulder to where Three set perched on the seat of the wagon. “Not want to try it in the rain. Kill them when pack not all together, couple at time. Remember where this den is at we clean them out later.”

Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Jhod wiped raindrops off his face, looking uncertainly between Dergosh and the wolf pack, which still hadn't moved to attack. The wolfess had disappeared for a few moments, then came sprinting back into the clearing with no wolf cub in its mouth, diving into the cave once more.
    "Speaking fully to animals is a gift only given to druids of the Great Mother," said the cleric, and a flash of lightning turned his face pale for a moment. "But I might be able to do something else..."
    And he closed his eyes, lips moving for a moment. A golden sheaf of wheat, glowing with an inner light, appeared and seemed to brush the cleric's ear.
    Jhod opened his eyes and looked again at the wolf pack, frowning, looking from one animal to the next. He even cocked his head a little.
    "It's not a complete translation - they don't just use vocalisation to communicate - but ... they're leaving," he said. "These ones screening the cave are all shouting variations on 'Get back', 'I'll kill you', and so on, but the others ... one's talking about what to do if they're separated from the den mother."
    The wolfess appeared again with another wolf cub in its mouth. She also appeared to have caught some sort of cloth used for the nest in one of her fangs. Shifting her grip on her cub's neck, the red, unblemished cloth fell free, falling to the ground. The wolfess managed some sort of growl and then bounded off to the trees.
    "She said to keep us off, she has three left. Saying they'll meet in ... the cave in the hills, out from under the trees. Pretty emphatic, that, whatever that growl meant, it was definitely out under the stars, nowhere near the trees." Jhod's lip twitched. "Said they've lost too many being here in these woods already, that they're a bad place. They'd rather the hills."
    There was a crack in the air, which made the wolves twitch, but hold their ground. Eral zipped over to Ruk, flicking a glowing green ball of energy at the kobold's head. There ya go, boss. Wait, you guys haven't killed anybody yet?

22. - Top - End - #772
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

“Hhhrrmmmmmmm,” the half-orc acknowledged upon hearing Jhod’s interpretation. Wolves scared of Wolftooth Company. Good. Should be. He crossed his arms across his chest, idly tapping his mace against his left shoulder as he waited out the pack, standing like a granite statue in the rain.

If the wolf pack chose not to leave, he was ready with a spell on his lips. But as further precaution…”Wolftooth warriors, watch all sides. Let no wolves near Company or animals.”

Show
    Ready sound burst if two or more wolves advance aggressively and are within range of the spell area. Otherwise, ready melee attack with mace.

Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The scene was something of an odd one, but as the Company stood to and presented no immediate threat, the wolves eased off their aggressive first stance, still holding their positions, still with bared teeth, but likewise did not advance. Neither did they try to encircle the Company as they had before. Instead, the only substantial movement from the pack was the back-and-forth as the wolfess dived back into the cave and then fled with one cub after another. Eventually, with the third cub, the wolfess seemed to glance around at the other members of the pack - and at an unseen signal, the wolves immediately withdrew, loping away to the other side of the muddy clearing, following the den mother. A flash of lightning flared once, and the pack had disappeared.

Jhod sighed, slumping in his saddle, patting at his combover (which was now fully wet from the pouring rain). "Thank Chauntea. I'd no desire to chastise any of that mob, especially not while riding a horse."
    I was really expecting a lot more blood, said Eral, flitting across the clearing (and remaining entirely dry. The raindrops seemed to disappear at the fringe of his multicoloured, blobby form and reappear on the far side.) The gen was hovering over the piece of cloth that had come loose from the wolfmother's fang: a vaguely dragon-ish looking snout had appeared from his form and was peering at the abandoned cloth with decidedly dragonlike interest. Uh huh. Master, the Planar Accounting Office had a budget cut last financial year and took my magic-detection abilities off me for this assignment, but this cloth isn't getting any more wet than I am. It's spotless.

Show
    And that's 400 XP each for the Company. If it wasn't already apparent I give points for overcoming an encounter, not necessarily killing everything in sight. The rationale for that being that hopefully it reassures you I will look at ways other than combat to resolve situations.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

Korlann watches as the wolves leave, shifting to a more relaxed posture as the last of them leaves sight. "With any luck, they won't cross our path again - I'd prefer no further trouble with them." At Eral's declaration, he then looks over towards the scrap of fabric curiously, but waits for one of the more magically-inclined party members to inspect it further.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

25. - Top - End - #775
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The big half-orc's eyes flicked over to his companion and he slowly shook his head. "Warrior Korlann, wolf go now, but wolf not stay away. Either wolf pack dominate lands, or Wolftooth Company will.

He turned his gaze back towards the departing lupines and nodded. "We see them again."

Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

"If they do, Dergosh, we shall deal with them then," Korlann replies.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Jhod wiped water off his face again and trudged across to the cloth Eral was hovering over. The cleric of Chauntea peered closer at the cape, a bright red with a subtle pattern in gold woven through it. "Your gen friend is right," he said. "This cloak seems to be resisting the rain." He closed his eyes, whispering another small prayer, then looked again. "It's magical," he said, raising his head. "The aura is faint, but it's of the abjuration school. I have heard of such things - a cloak of resistance, I think." The cleric stood up, tossing the bundled cloth over to Dergosh. "I don't believe this would be a harmful item. If it's been sitting in that wolf den for that long it would have done damage to the creatures within it. Odds are on they likely just used it for warmth."

Then he stopped, staring at the cave mouth. "Wait. There's something else here." And the cleric strode to the cave mouth, crouching down to work his way into the old wolf den before anyone else could say a thing. For a moment the shadows consumed him, water dripping from the rim of the cave mouth like tears, and they all tensed for a moment.

Then Jhod was crawling his way back out, sandaled feet visible first and then the rest of him as the cleric emerged. He stood up, dusting himself off absently, peering at a little object he now held in his palm. He came trudging back across the way to Three, to whom he handed the object.
    "There wasn't anything else of value I could see in there," he said. There was a strange look in his eyes. "Only two dead wolf cubs. Poor things. I don't know if it was illness or stillbirth or what, but I thought better to leave their little bodies there; at least they'll have a shelter, and not much will venture into a wolf den for months after they've left." Jhod looked at the warforged again. "But I also saw that. It's the source of another magical aura. A strong aura of the Transmutation school, powerful enough for me to detect it out here."

Three looked at the object Jhod had handed her. It was a long golden chain with a small, irregularly-shaped piece of amber attached to it. Looking closer, Three could see a tiny creature - a wasp - still seeming to twitch within.

Show
    The Cloak can be deduced as a Cloak of Resistance +1, mainly because with a faint aura of the abjuration school it likely only pumps out a +1. The other object is ... a little less easy to work out, though with a strong aura, its caster level is anywhere between 12 and 20.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

Three lifted the amber trinket above her head, into the midday sunlight. It was a strange little thing, definitely more interesting than the Cloak of Resistance. Given its aura, it was likely more powerful as well. She ran the chain through her fingers, more to get a feel for its magical signature than to decipher anything about it- Jhod’s Detect Magic had already found everything one of her more cursory inspections would have determined.

She wanted to know what it was, but Identify was an expensive spell, and she couldn’t justify the expense. Not when she could likely craft an Artifcer’s Monocle within the next few months. Three rifled through her bag for The Magic Item Compendium and stepped off of her wagon with it and the amber trinket gripped in her hands. She put some distance between herself and the Company and began to search through her book for any information on the item. If she failed to find anything pertinent… well, she walked away from her companions for a reason. She’ll spout off a few common trigger words in languages she can’t understand, and hope that the effect isn’t so bad that she’ll learn where her races goes when they die.

Show
    Three of Three attempts to activate the item blindly. It succeeds on a 25 or higher. If she gets a 15 or below, she suffers a mishap. If she gets 30 or above, she learns what the item does, how it is activated, and how many charges it has left (Magic Item Compendium, page 217).
    (1d20+13)[17].
    +2 from her Charisma modifier, +6 from her skill ranks, +3 from Skill Focus (Use Magic Device), +2 from her masterwork item.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Late afternoon, Sixteenth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

The little insect inside the amber - which looked on this close an inspection to be some kind of wasp, preserved - seemed to beat its frozen wings as Three went through the techniques she knew to activate magical items. However, nothing terribly interesting happened, though Three had a feeling the magical energies in the thing did surge for a moment, just a moment. At least the energies didn't backfire.

There was something familiar about the construction of this little thing, something in the way the energies surged and receded, sensed dimly by the receptors installed in her hands and eyes. Three was reasonably sure that it wasn't an ancient work of magic; something about the make and feel of the chain in her hands told her the item was - in relative terms - fairly new, though that could mean anything from made in the last day to made in the last three centuries. It didn't have the look or the elegant shape of elven craftsmanship, not that she expected to find it out here; and neither the delicate chain nor the amber amulet seemed to be the product of stodgy, pragmatic dwarven magic. Human, possibly; or any of the other myriad races. At this point she'd have to restudy some of the Compendium's texts or outright find a spell to identify the thing with to ascertain its purpose any further.

The Company having done pretty well all that could be done at this point, they packed their gear and started out through the driving rain once more. Whatever minor respite had been given to Three to examine the amulet was now revoked, and rolls of thunder regularly drummed across the sky as they trudged on through the woods, past ravines filling with new-swelled streams, under giant elms and oaks where the water poured in great circles down from sodden leaves to the earth below. On the back of the wagon, under a makeshift tarpaulin, Marmuk looked decidedly grumpy next to the Blessed One. Eral, on the other hand, had discovered Ser Pig, their companion, and the gen and boar had struck up some sort of travelling game that seemed to be a form of hide and seek. Ser Pig was proving entirely unconcerned by the rain and cheerfully rooted, dug, chased Eral, and was ebulliently flatulent across the hours.

It was a pretty miserable afternoon, though Three did find herself able to map the area well. She was getting close to finishing off this area in her mapping. Indeed a couple more hours and she'd be able to direct the party straight to the nearest rim of the Greenbelt and send Marmuk on his way. So she wasn't entirely unsurprised when they moved over another hill and found the land drop away in a wide, forested bowl below them, water trickling off titanic rock walls. It was some sort of natural, vast terrarium with a diameter of a good two miles in all directions, with several paths in and out via paths through or up the rock walls.

And at the centre of that terrarium: a regular, perfected shape, sheeted by the bucketing rain. A cperfect circle of ghostly, white wanderwood trunks like spears in the middle of an untidy, gloomy forest in the rain, thrusting up above the treeline.

Marmuk had come up alongside Three on the wagon. He was staring down at the trees, rain running down his cheeks. He raised a clawed finger towards it. Pointed. "Batobot ulph coi. Batobot ulph svaklar sia hivis loreata."

Spoiler: Anyone who can speak Draconic
    Show
    That is it. That is where my band died.

It wasn't far from this vantage point to the ring of trees. Easily within reach with another quarter hour's trudging.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Other than a small, annoyed twitch of his mouth, Dergosh ignored the babbling of the kobold he tabbed as "Mukmuk". Instead, he looked over at Three and asked, "Why we looking at trees? We going down there? What there?"

Show