The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 1003
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    "Mmmmm," Dergosh said, nodding. He could manage to get to three on one clawed hand, so it was a measure he understood.

    "With help of Gruumsh, I could knock one of goblins out of tree, but charging ones on ground sound like more fun, more chance to crack skulls," he grinned darkly. "What we waiting for? Let's go."
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Ruk nods, "Indeed. Let's get started."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)



    This time it was Gakan shifting from branch to branch, shadow to shadow.

    He could hear the others on their way. Dergosh had already started singing. They’d given him a decent head start to get in position, and he’d used that as best he could, fighting down the fear and yammering of doom in his head. But being out here in the wilderness again, on his own, he was strangely in his element, and the mile or so to the camp passed quickly and silently beneath his feet.

    He trailed Ruk’s path out; the kobold had told him which way he’d come on the camp, and that seemed as well as not the path by which to reach the place again. If this plan worked, he’d get himself in on the western side of the camp, hopefully while all these bandits were looking east. Maybe they’d even catch Kressle on the ground right by the campfire.

    That hope died as he heard barked orders from the clearing ahead of him, sensed scurried movements. He shifted ever-so-carefully past a last scrub and found himself at the western edge of the camp. Even from here he could hear Dergosh’s voice, and the bandits obviously had too: two of them had positioned up behind the two fallen logs Ruk had mentioned, and a third was up in the eastern platform.

    There was movement above and in front of Gakan, and he crouched deeper into the most available shadow before realising it was someone on the western platform – Kressle, the woman. She’d obviously shinnied up the tree and, though she was facing away from Gakan, she had a great view of the path out of the eastern side of the clearing, and she was nocking an arrow to a longbow.

    Movement, on the other side of the clearing. He spotted Dergosh and Kuros appear there.
    “Thought you’d get here faster,” the woman, Kressle, called from across the clearing. “Your little reptilian friend certainly got out of here fast. I watched him go halfway round the camp, he seemed to be waiting for me to take off my clothes or something. Ah, well, never mind – time to die, whoever the Hells you are!”

    Spoiler: Tactical map
    Show



    Spoiler: Tactical notes
    Show
    Initiative Count:

    Three: 1d20+9 – 26
    Kressle: -- 22
    Korlann: 1d20+3 -- 20
    Dergosh: 1d20+10 – 16
    Gakan: 1d20+4 -- 16
    Ruk: 1d20+0 – 15
    Kuros: 1d20+4 – 13
    All other bandits: -- 10

    It can be taken that Kressle and the bandits haven’t seen Gakan, so they are flatfooted as against him. Everyone else, no surprise round, normal initiative. Hope this positioning more or less reflects what your characters would be doing -- Dergosh is just marching right up the guts, Kuros is right next to him, neither of them are in forest cover, but everyone else is.

    As you would remember – forest squares cost double movement to step through, but they offer +4 AC to melee and ranged. Despite how the map looks, everyone has line of sight to each other.

    The two bandits behind the logs get the benefit of about a +6 to AC vs. melee and ranged from the east.

    Not so against Gakan, obviously, against whom they’re flatfooted if he chooses to move in on them. To shift up to the base of the tree Kressle is in would take a Hide and Move Silently check along with any other movement he makes to get there.

    Over to you, guys!

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three aimed her crossbow at the woman that was mocking them and yelled, “You first!” Before squeezing her trigger though, she noticed another human in another tower. Like his captain, he had a bow. Unlike her, he had a much clearer view of most of the Company, so he was more dangerous. Gakan can handle Kressle. The warforged switched her aim to the second bandit and squeezed her trigger. She then drew out a bolt and began to reload her weapon.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard Action: Three launches a bolt at Bandit 1.
    (1d20+5)[13] On a natural 19 or a 20 (rolled 24 or 25), Three threatens a critical.
    If she threatens, this is the confirmation roll: (1d20+5)[8]
    +3 from Three's Dexterity modifier, +2 from Bane (Human}
    Damage from crossbow: (1d8)[8].
    Damage from Bane: (2d6)[12].
    If she crits, she does an additional: (1d8)[4]+[/roll]2d6[/roll]
    Move Action: Three reloads her crossbow.

    Notes: Three has nineteen bolts remaining.
    Do you like inventing your own techniques? Summoning giant monsters? Playing as a knife!Wizard!Mercenary? So do I!
    But do you like Naruto? I... don't. Fortunately, we don't need to. I'm on the staff of a fifteen year old Naruto-inspired roleplay forum. If you're interested in details, drop me a PM or email!

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    When he heard the bandit woman call out, Dergosh the Loud stood up from the crouch he had been advancing in and roared, “Gruumsh’s arrow armor!” and a patchy white swirl formed up around the half-orc’s brawny form. “You right--time to die, alight!” he shouted in retort as he surged forward. “Wolftooth Company here to cut ears off goblin bandits! Make nice necklaces!” he screamed, pounding on his shield drum as he ran.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting entropic shield on himself and then will run forward using his move action more or less straight along row P, hoping the rest of the company is coming along as well.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    The crossbow bolt gave a meaty sort of thwack as it caught the bandit on the eastern platform in the neck. And even if he'd managed to survive that horrible injury, his sudden arching of his back, stumble, and missing his footing on the platform guaranteed his end - as he fell twenty feet to his death.

    There was an answering twang to Three's crossbow bolt ... but a weak, sickly sound, combined with a whipping sort of sound. Kressle's arrow, hastily aimed in Three's direction, had gone wild, disappearing into the brush, and the bandit woman snarled from her position on the platform, pulling another from its quiver.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bandit 1 goes down, he was in the foliage but was leaning out to take a shot on the party, which is why Three's shot got him. Natural 1'ed Kressle's roll, so the rest of the party can now act methinks.

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Kuros with his weapons drawn charges through the bandit camp at top speed. Attempting to weave around the underbrush and reach a target.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Run action in a diagonal line north east 65 ft. (Any further hits difficult terrain which can't be run through) Ending at F24.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BluesEclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    As Three fires her crossbow, and Kuros begins moving around the bulk of the camp towards Kressle, Korlann darts forward, sprinting underneath the platform. A quick adjustment to his course allows him to dodge the falling body as he unfurls his spines, his gaze taking in the two men on the ground ahead of him.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Double Move, ending at P20.

    Note: Currently at 16 AC due to the Shield of Faith potion.
    Last edited by BluesEclipse; 2018-07-02 at 08:48 PM.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

    Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM


    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Ruk's eyes widened when he heard Kressle's challenge. She had noticed him and yet let him go back to his party. That made him nervous. Either she was just that confident, or this was a trap.
    Regardless, the action had started, and he needed to get into position.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ruk moves to G21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kjelfalconer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    He tried to both hold his breath and breathe normally as he closed in, and sort of failed at both. Whoever was up there had already seen the others, so maybe she wouldn't be looking for him, as he just about managed to get up the ladder with all the grace of a drowning elephant. Try as he might, surely she'd heard him? But if he turned back now, there was no way the rest of the group would let him back in. And how the hell was he supposed to watch things if he couldn't even get in? He was not going back to Kyran with his tail between his legs, with news of failure! He snarled silently. No. Whoever was up there had to die, one way or another. Heard or not. Seen or not.

    But he still moved as silently as he could just in case they somehow hadn't. As he clambered up onto the platform, he fully expected a blade in his face.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Climb: (1d20+1)[7]
    Move Silently: (1d20+10)[17]
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2018-07-04 at 03:36 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    As Kressle cursed and reached for another arrow from the quiver strung across her back, Gakan stealthily crept up onto the platform behind her. Past her, he could see two of the Company cut north, and the others south, towards the fallen logs, Korlann leading the charge through the scrub.

    On the ground, the two remaining bandits snarled and began to scramble around the southern end of the fallen logs. One of them reached into a grimy pocket and produced a small, grey stone--
    --Thunderstone, some part of Korlann’s mind registered--
    The bandit's breath hissed between rotten teeth, and he flicked it with sudden quickness at the monk’s feet.
    There was a sudden, awful BANG, and all hearing vanished for the Skarn except for a high-pitched whine in ears that suddenly felt like they were underwater.
    Another bandit came at him, brandishing its sword, mouth agape in a scream that the monk didn’t hear. A flash of blade whipped at his midsection. Instinct kicked in, and he flattened his hand, spines and palm moving to deflect the blow. But the movement came an inch too late, and the dirty blade caught his side and dug in before pulling out, a sudden gout of blood arcing through the air.

    Spoiler: Tactical map
    Show



    Spoiler: Tactical notes
    Show

    That was a hit on the ground next to Korlann, and he failed his Fort save – 8 against a DC of 15. The bandit cut him for 3 hitpoints, which brings him down to 7/10, first PC injury of the campaign I think. Korlann’s also deafened for 1 hour, so the initiative order changes somewhat for what it’s worth:

    Three: 1d20+9 – 26
    Kressle: -- 22
    Dergosh: 1d20+10 – 16
    Gakan: 1d20+4 -- 16
    Korlann: 1d20-1 -- 16
    Ruk: 1d20+0 – 15
    Kuros: 1d20+4 – 13
    All other bandits: -- 10

    Kressle’s obviously pulled another arrow, but hasn’t noticed Gakan yet. Over to you again.

    Oh, and sorry to Kuros that his token label is the same colour as the bandits, I'll have to fix that up next time :D

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three watched as the man ate her bolt and fell out of the tower, and felt a twinge of joy and a twinge of guilt. That couldn't have been a comfortable way to go, but at least he can't hurt anyone else. She heard a strange sound afterwards, but wasn't sure what it was until the bandits captain snarled. Kressle was returning fire. To become a smaller target for the bandit, and to help steady her aim, Three dropped flat on the ground.
    Before turning her attention to Kressle, the warforged quickly glanced at her companions, to see how they were doing. Korlann had just taken a nasty hit from one bandit and with another coming up on him, Three had to fight off a compulsion to kill the bandit approaching him- Kressle was still the largest threat, since most of the Company was out in the open. Besides that, Dergosh was heading to support him. She wasn't sure how Kuros and Ruk got separated from the group. Maybe they were heading for Kressle? She yelled to them, “Ruk! Kuros! I'm on Kressle, please help the others!”
    She spared another moment to glance at Kressle's tower. Three couldn't see Gakan, but that doesn't mean he isn't there. From that distance, with all of the trees in the way, Three was lucky to even see Kressle, let alone someone as stealthy as Gakan. Three took aim and quickly launched a bolt at the bandit captain, silently praying to hit her.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard Action: Three launches one bolt at Kressle.
    (1d20+4)[17] On a natural 19 or 20 (roll of 23 or 24), Three threatens a critical.
    If she threatens, here is the confirmation roll: (1d20+4)[18]
    +3 from Three's Dexterity modifier, +2 from Bane (Human), -1 from being ~150 feet away (130 from squares, 20 from height of tower).
    Damage from light crossbow: (1d8)[3]
    Damage from Bane: (2d6)[4]
    If she crits, she adds these two to her total damage:
    (1d8)[2]
    (2d6)[7]

    Move Action: Three reloads her crossbow.

    Free Action: Three goes Prone.

    Note: Three has eighteen bolts remaining.

    EDIT: I did a dumb. I take a -2 penalty due to the distance, not a -1, so Three got a 16 instead.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-07-05 at 06:28 PM.
    Do you like inventing your own techniques? Summoning giant monsters? Playing as a knife!Wizard!Mercenary? So do I!
    But do you like Naruto? I... don't. Fortunately, we don't need to. I'm on the staff of a fifteen year old Naruto-inspired roleplay forum. If you're interested in details, drop me a PM or email!

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BluesEclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    "Gah!" Korlann's cry of pain is mute to his own ears as the bandit's blade bites into his side. With a growl of anger, he lashes out with a quick swipe of his arm, spines flared out to strike at the bandit, before twisting himself around and bring the same arm back with a vicious elbow strike at the bandit's face.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Flurry of Blows against Bandit 2.

    Attack 1:
    Hit: (1d20+2)[17], Crit on 22
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8], x2 on Crit

    Attack 2:
    Hit: (1d20+2)[17], Crit on 22
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6], x2 on Crit
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

    Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM


    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Seeing at least one bandit leave cover and engage with Korlann, Kuros changes course from his flanking action and cuts through the undergrowth towards him but doesn't make it very far with all his weapons getting caught every which way. That does not stop Kuros from drawing a Javelin and hurling it towards the remaining bandit.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    20ft move speed and difficult terrain suck. Ranged weapons are good though. Kuros moves 1 square diagonally south and to the west and another square south (I assume that one is difficult terrain and costs 2 leaving me with 5ft of movement but surrounded by difficult terrain, if it isn't difficult terrain yet I can and will move 1 more square south)

    While moving I draw a Javelin into a free hand and throw it at the remaining bandit: (1d20+3)[15] ( +1 BAB, +4 Dex, -2 Range penalty)
    Damage: (1d6+5)[9]

    EDIT: Probably miss due to cover from the logs anyway, but I take an additional -2 since the remaining bandit is outside of the second range increment for Kuros.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2018-07-06 at 12:05 AM.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    The crossbow gave a low, satisfying clack as the bolt flew.

    And flew true: it hit Kressle in her right thigh, below the hem of the tunic she seemed to be wearin, with a meaty-sounding thwack.
    The bandit woman staggered, pushing herself back against the trunk of the tree, giving a howl of pain. But even from across the clearing Three could see that Kressle was using the pain to fuel her anger, and -- almost unbelievably -- she nocked an arrow to her bow, raised it, and turned the weapon ...

    ... on Korlann.

    The bandit woman loosed.

    Even for the fact he was in the middle of combat with a bandit, the arrow found its mark. Not that Korlann would have heard it coming anyway. He just had a sudden red bomb go off in his right side, through the monk's clothing, the arrow penetrating a lung.

    Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

    That was a hit for 4 damage. This brings Korlann down to 3/10 on my calculation.

    bcool: You might want to redirect that attack for two reasons:
    (1) By the time Kuros gets to act Korlann will have already hit and killed Bandit 2, those rolls are good enough to hit with both. Subject to anything Dergosh does, that is.
    (2) From memory shooting a ranged weapon into melee combat imposes a -4 on the attack roll anyway, so that would've been a total of 11. I'm happy to take the roll you've already got if you want to recalculate or edit the above post.

    And by the way, guys, thanks for putting up clarifications on the numbers you need to roll for them to be criticals, that's really nice of you.

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Dergosh plowed on, past the fallen bandit, under the tree stand, and through the brush to stand near Korlann, who had both managed to down his foe and sprout an arrow from his lung.

    "UGLY GOBLIN WOMAN!" the half-orc screamed. "Best if you cut off your own ear and run away now! Easier than what Wolftooth Clan do to you if we catch you alive!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to get near Korlann, free action to yell angrily :)
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Ruk heard the bang that no good alchemist could mistake. Thunderstone huh?
    Shortly after the sound, he heard Korlann's shout of pain.
    I guess I'm coming to the rescue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ruk moves to O18.
    (If I did my calculations right.)
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2018-07-07 at 02:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kjelfalconer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Okay. Somehow she hadn't heard him. He lashed out with his claws, hoping to catch her off guard. Which he did, but even he could tell it didn't do much.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    To hit: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3] + (1d6)[2] sneak attack
    Off chance of crit Damage: (1d3+1)[4]
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2018-07-09 at 04:44 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    The two bandits fell fast. The first went down in a flurry of instinctive strikes from the Skarn monk, the last a rigid palm that smashed the nearest bandit’s nose and drove it up into his brain, killing him outright.

    Kuros checked his throw, originally intended for the bandit who’d just dropped, and adjusted his target. Hurled his javelin at the other one instead, the one who’d thrown the thunderstone. That bandit had some quickness to him; he started to move --

    -- not fast enough. The javelin didn’t impale him, but it smashed across his brow, crossing his eyes and dropping him like a rock. Not a killing strike, but he’d not be talking for a while.

    And on the platform, Gakan lashed his claws out at Kressle. He caught her close to the top of her jerkin, but there was some preternatural quickness to her, and though he cut her a good one, she didn’t take the worst of the blow. She spun, her features a mix of surprise, pain, and rage. No taunting words now; she narrowed her eyes, making quick calculations of her newest opponent…

    Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show



    Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

    Kuros’s javelin hits for 9 which is dead on the bandit’s hitpoints, so that drops him unconscious but doesn’t kill him.

    Mercurion, in case you're stuck on a computer that blocks imgbox, Dergosh is at O21, which is right next to Korlann and therefore touch range for him, and 70 feet horizontal, 20 feet vertical from Kressle, who's the only enemy combatant still standing now. Gakan is 75 feet horizontal, 20 feet vertical from you, i.e. in melee with Kressle, if that matters.

    The current initiative order …


    Three: 1d20+9 – 26
    Kressle: -- 22
    Dergosh: 1d20+10 – 16
    Gakan: 1d20+4 -- 16
    Korlann: (3/10 hitpoints, deafened) 1d20-1 – 16
    Ruk: 1d20+0 – 15
    Kuros: 1d20+4 – 13
    All other bandits: -- 10 – all dead or unconscious.

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Spoiler: If Kressle is still up and fighting by Kuros' turn.
    Show
    Seeing only Kressle remain standing, Kuros pulls out the bow looted from the Bandit Lieutenant, nocks an arrow, and lets fly at the bandit leader.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move action draw longbow.
    Standard Action: Shoot arrow at Kressle.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[24] (+1 Bab, +4 Dex, no penalty for firing into melee due to precise shot) 25 threatens
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5] Piercing Damage


    Spoiler: If combat is over by Kuros' turn.
    Show
    Kuros moves through the underbrush towards Korlann making sure his ally is fine before he moves over to retrieve his javelin from the unconscious bandit. "Now we just wait here in ambush for the other bandits?" Kuros asks the party.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three had finished reloading her crossbow just in time to watch Korlann take an arrow. If she hadn't laid down moments before, it probably would have been meant for her. Pushing aside her worry and guilt over her companion's injury, the warforged aimed her weapon at the last bandit standing.
    Then a furry head appeared over the tower, and Kressle lurched. It looked like the bandit captain had been hit again, but from this distance, Three couldn't tell. She adjusted her aim and launched a second bolt at Kressle, hoping to defeat her before Gakan got hit by an axe, then began to place another bolt in her crossbow.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    @bcool999 Sorry, I would have just let Kuros move ahead of Three in the initiative order, but Kressle's turn is between ours and I'd rather not risk her critting someone.

    Standard Action: Three attacks Kressle with her light crossbow.
    (1d20-1)[16]. On a natural 19 or 20 (roll of 18 or 19), Three threatens a critical.
    Critical confirmation roll, if relevant: (1d20-1)[14]
    +3 from Three's Dexterity modifier, +2 from Bane (Human), -2 from distance, -4 from firing into melee.
    Damage from light crossbow: (1d8)[6]
    Damage from Bane: (2d6)[7]
    If she crits, add this to her damage:
    (1d8)[2]
    (2d6)[5]

    Move Action: Reload

    Note: Three has seventeen bolts remaining.
    Do you like inventing your own techniques? Summoning giant monsters? Playing as a knife!Wizard!Mercenary? So do I!
    But do you like Naruto? I... don't. Fortunately, we don't need to. I'm on the staff of a fifteen year old Naruto-inspired roleplay forum. If you're interested in details, drop me a PM or email!

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Making a quick assessment that there were no other nearby threats, Dergosh decided Korlann could wait to be healed for the moment and instead leapt forward, moving at top speed towards the bandit woman’s perch. Bandits! Pah! Make goblins look like war chiefs!

    As he ran through the underbrush, he once again pounded on his drum to provide whatever distraction possible.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Run action to get to within 20 feet of the tree the woman is in if possible, unless a party member goes down in which case he will instead move to that person and cast a CLW in place of sonic blast.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Three's bolt flew. This time it went straight through Kressle's shoulderblade, drawing a gurgling scream from her. She dropped the longbow, but, unbelievably, kept her feet. One hand was limp by her side.

    Blood dribbled from one side of her mouth, and her bloodshot eyes were those of a wild, cornered animal. She staggered, then, with quickness born of terminal desperation, reached and drew a handaxe from her belt, swinging wildly at Gakan. The blow was fast, but next to the catfolk, who'd settled into his surroundings, had no chance of hitting.

    Spoiler: Tactical notes
    Show

    And that shot from Three is a hit. Kressle rolled a 2, so Gakan's luck seems to be holding out - I accidentally hit my dice roll button a second time, and that time it was a natural 20.

    kjel, you may well have the final honours depending how you next roll. Or possibly Ruk if he has ranged options, but unless something very strange happens this will most likely be the final round.

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BluesEclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    As the second bandit falls to Kuros's javelin, Korlann looks in the many-armed man's direction and gives him a nod, before turning his gaze back towards Kressle. Turning to move forward, he grimaces slightly at the pain from his wounds, before moving forward and approaching the platform, keeping his eyes open just in case the woman attempts any last-ditch attacks against him.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to P14, take Total Defense (brings my AC up to 20 for the round).
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

    Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM


    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kjelfalconer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Well. This wasn't going to work. Or at least, it was unlikely to work before she'd killed him back. Unfortunately, she was now fully armed, so actually attempting to do anything other than poorly slap her was equally likely to get him killed.

    Gods he needed rescuing.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Attempt to bull rush her off the platform.

    Attack. Poorly, probably.
    [roll]1d20+4[/roll] to hit.
    [roll]1d3+1[/roll] damage.
    [roll]1d3+1[/roll] unlikely crit damage.

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2018-07-12 at 11:03 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Spoiler: Gakan
    Show
    Are you sure? I should've maybe put this in the tactical notes, but when you hit Kressle from behind, she dropped the longbow (free action), drew a handaxe (move action, no AoO from Gakan as it's a weapon, not a stored item) and took a swing at you (standard action, which missed). That's mentioned in my last post. Bull rushing her therefore will draw an AoO. Happy to go with, but just in case you wanted to make a last-minute change ... Obsolete suggestion :)

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Thorn River, the Greenbelt, the Border Kingdoms
    Morning, Third of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Gakan’s claws lashed in. Kressle coughed a spray of blood, which twitched her backwards; the catfolk’s claws caught nothing but air.

    Then an arrow appeared as though conjured through the centre of her neck. Kuros lowered his weapon, rolling his other four shoulders.

    Kressle staggered, still; and when she did, her foot missed the edge of the platform. She fell, silently; there was a wooden-sounding crack as she hit the ground.

    Silence, in the clearing. For long moments the Company stood, tense, waiting: but nothing else sprang out to attack them. The adrenalin slowly drained away, and the realisation came that they’d won – at least this camp, at least for now.

    Spoiler: Notes
    Show

    I’m guessing there’s a bit of logistical work to be done here.

    First: 235 XP each. Nicely done.

    Second: There’s gear to loot. Normally I’d cutscene through the party searching for obvious stuff. But given you’ve got additional considerations to recovering treasure, I’m more inclined to advise what you’ve found and leave it to you to RP this out so you can divide your duties up.

    Essentially, Kressle and the bandits’ bodies give up the following:

    3 x leather armor
    3 x short sword
    3 x 2 days of trail rations (i.e. 6 trail ration portions altogether)
    3 x 20 gp
    2 thunderstones
    chain shirt armor
    2 masterwork handaxes
    4 daggers
    115 gp
    Masterwork longbow
    50 arrows
    Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
    Small silver stag head pendant


    When one of you gets round to inspecting the area under the eastern wooden platform – you didn’t notice it as you were running through – there’s a canvas sheet lightly covered with sticks, and which has the following items underneath it:

    Eight tents, tattered.
    Firewood
    Four spoiling rabbit bodies, wrapped in cloth


    And underneath that, in a shallow hole, we find the bandits’ hoard:

    321 silver pieces
    110 gp
    3 crates of furs and hides, worth about 50 gp each.
    These likely came from Oleg’s. They are relatively small crates, the wagon will easily take them, though frankly if you had to carry them through the wilderness they'd be more awkward than heavy.
    A polished wooden case of potent greenish herbal liquor. There are 8 bottles with liquor left in them, worth 20 gp each. The case appears way too swish for something Oleg might’ve been selling.

    No Spot checks required to find this stuff, it’s fairly obvious once you’re nearby it and not trying to kill someone.

    One specific point: there is no sign of Svetlana’s wedding ring amongst any of this stuff. This is not because anybody failed a Spot check or Search roll, it just isn’t anywhere to be found in the camp.

    In terms of carrying stuff away, it will take Three about half an hour round trip to go and get the party wagon and the party’s mounts from your base camp. Nothing missing or stolen while you were all gone.

    Third: Korlann still has an arrow sticking out of him, and is at 3/10. Oh, and also deafened for the next hour.

    Fourth: One bandit still unconscious. Kressle is definitely dead.

    Fifth: Four bandits are still out there somewhere. They are hunting based on Ruk’s recon of the place, but you’ve no idea at this point how long they’re going to be.

    Well done again, team, over to you!

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Seeing Kressle fall, Kuros waits a moment to see if she will rise back up before returning the next arrow he had grabbed back to the quiver and stowing the bow away. He then makes his way over to Korlann and asks if he would like a potion for his wound. After that, Kuros retrieves his thrown javelin and quickly starts searching the camp for goods. After all, if the bandit's hunting party comes back early with game they would lose the advantage of surprise... again.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Offering Korlann a potion of CLW if no one else offers to heal him.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Hands on hips, Dergosh stood over Kressle’s body where it had fallen in an unceremonious heap. He would have given her a good glare, but it didn’t seem worth the bother; these bandits were piteous warriors almost beneath his contempt.

    Remembering that Korlann had taken a rather nasty arrow wound, the cleric wound his way back over to the skarn. “We fix that up?” he asked, examining the severity of the injury. When Korlann didn’t seem to hear him, he repeated himself, loudly. “WE FIX UP YOUR WOUND??”

    Spoiler
    Show
    If we don’t want to burn a potion, another option is for Dergosh to convert all three 0-level spells to healing to get Korlann back up to 6 hp. He’d like to hold on to his two remaining 1st level spells in case they are needed after another battle with the bandits who are currently out hunting. Or, it Korlann would rather use a potion to try to get to full health, Dergosh can use 0-level spells to top him up if he is still below full strength.


    Dergosh eyed the tree stands. As the others began to look around the camp, he decided to climb up into one he had passed under earlier, both to have a better look at the countryside (maybe he could spot where the dragon-snake might live) and to watch for any returning bandits.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless anyone else would like it, the chain shirt is the primary piece of treasure Dergosh would be interested in claiming. He can always use a thunderstone as well, because clearly firing a thunderstone from the catapults would be awesome. Coins—meh, just more things he’d have to attempt to count.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three clambered off the ground, crossbow still in hand, to get a better view of Kressle. She had just fallen out of the tower, but the warforged couldn't see how. It wasn't until after Three stumbled out her patch of the forest that she saw the arrow in the bandit's throat. The artificer looked at Kuros in pleasant surprise- she didn't know his aim was that good.
    She holstered her crossbow and began to walk closer to Kressle to check her for signs of life, but as she neared it quickly became clear that the bandit couldn't have survived her wounds. Kuros' arrow alone would normally be death sentence, let alone everything else. That meant that the Company wouldn't be getting any information about the Stag Lord or even the Greenbelt here.
    Well, it was a shame, but these things happen. The choice between information and another member of the party being hurt wasn't really a choice at all. Three looked up the tower and tried to catch Gakan's eye. He entered melee with the strongest bandit in the camp and kept her from putting another arrow in Korlann- as far as Three was concerned, he earned his keep. She shot him a thumbs-up and nodded at him, to try to get her appreciation across without yelling- after all, Dergosh was doing more than enough of that for everyone.
    He was offering to heal Korlann, which was kind, but with the injury from the Thunderstone... Well, she wasn't surprised that their orcish friend didn't know what those rocks do. Three shrugged her shoulders and picked a decent-sized stick off the ground, and hoped that Korlann could read.
    She walked in front of him and raised her hand to catch his attention, and then wrote on the ground in blocky, strangely consistent letters: “HERE, DRINK THIS. GOOD WORK TODAY!”. She plucked the gourd-potion off of her belt and handed it to the Skarn. His bright blue bracers caught her eye, and she made a mental note to ask him about them later. What kind of magic are they?
    The warforged took off her bag and carefully placed it on the ground, before unstrapping her longspear. The bag was heavy and slowed her down considerably. The longspear was heavy too, but she was about to wander off alone, and needed whatever distance between herself and any monsters out there that she could get.
    Three spoke aloud to the group, “Good work, everyone. Would you mind searching through their belongings while I'm away? I'm going to get the animals before something else does. I shouldn't be long.” She then turned about and walked back into the woods, trying to find her way back to the Company's camp.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I don't know what kind of health potion Three gave Korlann. It was never identified. I suspect it's a Cure Minor Wounds one or maybe a Cure Light Wounds one with a penalty to the roll, because it was described as being kind of funky in this post.

    Three takes off her backpack, and pulls her longspear off of it. That drops her carry weight to 29 lbs, reducing her below a minimum load, so she can go full speed. She equips the longspear, just in case.

    Survival Roll to find our base camp, if it's necessary: (1d20+1)[14]
    +1 from her Wisdom modifier.


    [If the last roll was successful]
    Three walked over to her animals and scratched them behind the ears in greeting. “Hello Mule One of Two, hello Mule Two of Two. Oh, and hello Baghtru.” Three waved at Dergosh's horse. She saw Kuros' and caught herself before speaking to it. What did he say its name was again? Rather than speaking to it, she awkwardly patted it on the head.
    From there, she climbed into the back of her wagon and opened its chest. The artificer pulled out one of her sacks and walked to the corpse of the Shambling Mound, where she kneeled. If it wasn't for those two fey, this thing may very well have killed her. She'll need to remember to thank them again, the next time they meet. Three pulled her dagger out of her boot and began to cut at the corpse, tearing off and inspecting pieces for rot. She was harvesting wood and vines from the monster, to create a holy symbol of her god.
    After, she attempted to lead the animals back to the bandit camp.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just to make it clear, Three isn't gathering material to make a magical item out of. We don't have a way to preserve it and we don't need a Resist Electricity potion or the like. She's instead just collecting the material to make a holy symbol of Gond out of. She could theoretically make one out of anything, but she figures her god would appreciate having a holy symbol crafted out of a magical monster.
    I figure I don't need a roll to get some wood out of it, since the material isn't going to have any special effects or anything on the holy symbol. If I do, let me know!

    Survival roll to get back to the company, if it's necessary: (1d20+1)[18]
    +1 from her Wisdom modifier.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-07-14 at 11:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •