The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1000
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    (Happens to the best of us)

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Oleg glanced over the cart Three had brought in. He squinted, then shook his head as he turned to Gakan. "No, that'll fit up one end of the stables. Stable door's a good ten feet wide, we can get that inside and out of sight. That buckwagon's mine - one of th' few things those carrion-eating scum didn't take with them. It's been sitting there all through winter. Everything we owned came with us on that wagon out of Dunbridges," he added, and a touch of the gruffness came out of his tone.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    "Rocks?" Oleg frowned. "Well ... there's about three or four big stones on each of the towers. Probably meant as ammunition for the catapults. Wouldn't want one of those dropped on y'r head, they must weigh a good forty pounds or so. Didn't have much use for 'em, and I like my back, so I left 'em where they were. Rest of the rocks around here is nothing but pebbles really."
    Dergosh pondered this momentarily, scratching at his scarred scalp. "So shoot rocks at bandits from catapults, maybe even set them on fire first, and-- BANG!" the half-orc shouted, abruptly slapping his hands together in a loud clap. "No more bandit problems. Svetlana and Oleg go back to collecting animals skins and Wolftooth Clan goes to conquer Greenbelt, everybody happy. Except for bandits. They not as happy, crushed and burned to death."
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-08 at 01:01 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BluesEclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    "I'd advise against utilizing the catapults," Korlann says to Dergosh, "due to the risk of damaging our hosts' home. So long as we are able to close the gates behind them, we should be able to deal with them without any major problems." Turning towards Oleg, he then asks, "Do they normally stay all in the main yard? If so, it could be possible for a couple of us to hide behind the buildings when they arrive, then come around to surround them."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

    Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM


    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Kuros tries to imagine tossing a forty pound stone. Getting a grip wouldn't be too much of an issue, but accuracy and power would be really really hard. "Dergosh, if you want to throw something at the bandits, I'll lend you a javelin or two." Kuros pulls one out to show Dergosh, "It might not hurt as much as a heavy rock, but it's easier to throw and goes a lot farther!"

    Kuros looks at the buckwagon and nods, "That wagon would definitely make a good blockade for the gate, but does the gate have a way to bar it quickly? Also, do the bandits usually have you guide them around, or could you easily slip away when they enter? We could have you getting inside your house and barring the door be the signal to lock them in and ambush them."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Dergosh considered the skarn's words and then nodded wisely. "Ahhhhh," he said, "you right: crushing and burning too good for them."

    The cleric pushed his stew bowl away from him, finished with the meal. "What if bandits come before sunrise?" he asked. "I must rise to hear Gruumsh One Ear's words for the day anyway and darkness not matter to me, I can watch for them. Not promise to leave any alive for rest of you though."

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    "Whatever else you c'n say about the carrion-eating scum, they're consistent," said Oleg to Dergosh and Kuros. "They've always shown up about an hour after dawn, and after that first time, they always ride right into the square, dismount, and go straight to the storage pen. Help themselves right to what's in it, then straight back on their horses and out. Hardly pay me a glance even if I'm actually outside. Suppose me being outside would make 'em less suspicious, but I don't matter to them at all. Scum. As for the gate - it's got a big locking bar to drop right across it, but it'd take at least two men to bring it across and drop the bar across it with any sort of speed." He gestured to the gates: at the moment, they were latched shut with a small combination of a short piece of wood and a few bits of string, but off to one side of the gateway lay a big wanderwood beam a good ten feet long and clearly shaped to drop into old catches either side of the door's centre.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Because the beam is long, unbalanced, and made of a distinctly dense wood, it's unwieldy; it'll take two characters (or Oleg and one PC) to lift it. Getting it over to the lock is a full-round action. Dropping it into place is a full-round action (which also includes pulling the gates into position to receive the beam).

    One character could make a STR check to see if he can lift the thing on his own and thus carry it on his own, but because it's unwieldy and presumably would be handled in tactical time, it still takes full-round actions to get it over to the lock and drop it into place. If you wanted to use it as an improvised weapon, well, that's another story

    Rolling the buckwagon across the gate would also work to block it from horses getting out, but would also take a full-round action to shift into position and require a (relatively low) STR check to move the thing.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    “Oleg, are all of them inside the pen at once? If so, that's a great place to trap them.” Three was brought back to when Ruk mentioned his oil and when Dergosh spoke of flaming rocks. She looked at the rest of her party and spoke, “Right, so this is a longshot here, but does anyone have a way to make a building immune to fire? Because we could douse the inside of the pen with oil, toss a torch in after they enter it, and then just hold the door shut. It's a bit... monstrous, but it would get the job done, and they're probably going to die regardless.” She ended her speech with a shrug, but thought for a moment before pointing at Oleg and adding, “We'd need to do something about his goods, too.”

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    "Monstrous?" Oleg sneered. "Those scum promised they'd violate my wife before and after they slit her open from neck to privates. Their leader woman was about to cut my hand off. I'm planning to hang the carrion's bodies from the walls as a warning to any other swine who comes looking for trouble in here. But no - they don't all pile into the pen at once. Not a big enough pen, not enough goods either. Two of 'em might go in, but they all just wander in and out putting things on their horses. You'd not catch all of them inside at the same time I think."

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Kuros shrugs his pack off his shoulders and rubs all six of his hands together as he walks towards the beam. "Hmm... let me give this a try." Kuros says as he grabs hold of the beam with all six of his arms and tries to lift it onto his shoulders.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Having 6 arms to manhandle the beam has to have some bonus right? Plus I am somewhat confident in Kuros' strength especially since his max carry capacity is 400lbs and without his bag he is only carrying 50lbs of weapons.

    Str check: (1d20+5)[17]
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Wanderwood was one of the most favoured trees for builders in the Border Kingdoms, mainly for its density and strength - more than a match for oak, and even when cut and milled, smooth and splinterless. The wood felt cool as marble to Kuros's six hands.

    He took the weight. The wanderwood seemed to hold to the ground for a moment. Then, muscles bunching, he freed it from the earth, raising it, the weight astounding, and got it onto his shoulders, casting an awesome shadow in the moonlight.

    He wasn't fully taxed, but the warrior could understand why Oleg wasn't putting this bar over the door every night.

    "Gods," murmured Oleg.

    Spoiler
    Show
    STR check is good, but this beam masses a good 300 pounds or so, so it'll still take a full round action to get into place from here and another full-round action to manipulate the gates such that you can drop the bar into place. Having extra arms doesn't help with that aspect of it because it leaves two less arms to bear the weight of this tree trunk of a thing.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Grinning sheepishly at Oleg's murmur, Kuros fidgets slightly under the weight, and says to the others, "Well, it is a bit heavier than I thought, but I should be able to handle it. I would probably need help closing the gate if we want to do this quickly so it's still a two man job."

    With that, Kuros lowers the beam back into place and gathers his discarded pack. "Not sure how to do that stealthily. Unless we have magic that can help with that."

    Spoiler: Cool factor: Kratos level
    Show
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Ruk looked at Three, "I have some minor arcana that could dampen some things around here, but I wouldn't trust it to prevent an indoor fire from causing the whole structure to go up."
    -
    Following Kuros' feat of strength, Ruk cackled with delight.
    "Haha! Amazing."
    He turned to Three, "Though as a back up, would you be able to scribe a scroll of Hold Portal? Our spider-esque friend here is surely quite strong, but I feel it would be a difficult feat to pull off with a less supportive audience."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three nodded after Ruk's response, "Well, that's fine. We still have time to think of more plans."
    -
    "Well, I'll be damned." Three clapped a few times at Kuros' show of strength, before inspecting the gate at a distance in response to Ruk's question.
    "I think the gate may be too large. I don't believe I could scribe a Hold Person scroll that powerful yet, sorry." She nodded apologetically at the Kobold, but an idea came to my mind, "Though I still think I should be one of the people that locks it. It would put some distance between myself and our enemies, and I'm better with my crossbow than my spear. If I cast a spell- well, an infusion, technically- on my crossbow in advance of the ambush, I can temporarily enchant it. If the bandits really are all humans, then I imagine Bane will do nicely."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, a caster level one Hold Person only covers twenty square-feet, and the from the map the gate is bigger than that. I'm kind of surprised WotC remembered to include a size restriction, to be honest.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kjelfalconer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    "Oh, oh! I could, like be the signal or something? I'm pretty quiet, y'know. I could totally hide in the hides-" he snickered slightly at his pun, dying inside, "and get one when they go for the stuff. I'm not much in a straight fight, but if only one of two go in, I should be okay."

    It was as good a plan as he was going to come up with, to be honest. They simply lacked the time for anything more complex.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    "I do not possess the power myself, but I could channel magic borrowed from one of our allies to enhance your fists by the grace of my mistress, Gakan. Also I am quite small, and hard to notice if I am trying not to be. I'll join you."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Kuros tries to imagine tossing a forty pound stone. Getting a grip wouldn't be too much of an issue, but accuracy and power would be really really hard. "Dergosh, if you want to throw something at the bandits, I'll lend you a javelin or two." Kuros pulls one out to show Dergosh, "It might not hurt as much as a heavy rock, but it's easier to throw and goes a lot farther!"
    “No need,” the half-orc replied, holding up his hand. “I have Gruumsh’s spears if I need to impale bandits as they try to run away.” He then grunted in agreement with Oleg’s plan to hang the bandit’s bodies from the wall.

    "Oh, oh! I could, like be the signal or something? I'm pretty quiet, y'know. I could totally hide in the hides-" he snickered slightly at his pun, dying inside, "and get one when they go for the stuff. I'm not much in a straight fight, but if only one of two go in, I should be okay."
    Dergosh frowned a bit, making his features even rougher. “Do not like idea of clan spreading out here and there like so many goblins. Stay together in fight and crush bandits together!” he said, his voice becoming louder. “I can lend you all Gruumsh’s favors if nearby before we tear out bandit hearts.”

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dergosh, i.e. H.R Buff-and-Stuff, is talking about casting bless


    "I do not possess the power myself, but I could channel magic borrowed from one of our allies to enhance your fists by the grace of my mistress, Gakan. Also I am quite small, and hard to notice if I am trying not to be. I'll join you."
    Dergosh’s head jerked, startled at the kobold’s words. “Steal magic from Gruumsh? I not think so, little dragon,” he growled.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Ruk sighed quietly. "No, erm, not stealing from Gruumsh, my friend. Rather, my own raw magical ability pales in comparison to that which Gruumsh has gifted unto you. I can, however, lend my claws to aid in the quick and violent distribution of Gruumsh's might."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BluesEclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Korlann observes his allies as they discuss the possible plans - raising an eyebrow at Kuros's feat of strength in single-handedly lifting the locking beam, and listening to Ruk and Gakan's ideas for hiding within the storeroom, and Dergosh's response. "I wouldn't necessarily think it a bad idea to have one or two people in the storeroom, but keep in mind that we do want to try and minimize their options for where to go. We still need to ensure that they aren't able to escape. Beyond that, I understand that there are limits to how much magic any individual can draw upon in a given day... if we intend to find the bandit camp, we want to make sure that Dergosh has more magic available when we face them, as opposed to him using it all here." With a moment's thought, he turns towards Oleg and says, "Are you able to bar the door to your home when they arrive? It will allow us to be a bit more lenient in our positioning, if we can be assured that they won't be able to come and take you or your wife as hostages."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

    Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM


    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Oleg looked over at the Skarn. "I've no problem with that. Like I said, the carrion-eaters don't care whether I'm out or not when they come. You want me to bar the door to my house and stay with my wife, Hells, I'll drop it there tonight before we go to sleep."

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BluesEclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Nodding at Oleg, Korlann says, "That would be for the best, I believe." Looking towards the others, he says, "At this point, I do believe we have a fairly solid plan - Gakan and Ruk can hide themselves within the storehouse, to ambush whoever comes out first. Three and Kuros can hide either in the wagon or behind it, while Dergosh and I can wait just inside the door to the stables. When they arrive and the first ones enter the storehouse, Dergosh can provide his god's blessing, and then he and I can engage the bandits while Three and Kuros get the gate closed - at that point, it's just a matter of bringing them down, and I have no doubts that our group will be capable of handling that. Of course, if anyone else has other suggestions, then by all means feel free to offer them."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

    Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM


    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Ruk sighed quietly. "No, erm, not stealing from Gruumsh, my friend. Rather, my own raw magical ability pales in comparison to that which Gruumsh has gifted unto you. I can, however, lend my claws to aid in the quick and violent distribution of Gruumsh's might."
    The half-orc waved away the suggestion with one greenish, sharp-nailed hand. “No need. You breathe dragon fire on them. Let Dergosh shatter their ears with Gruumsh’s might.”

    Rising from the table, Dergosh decided to make his way to the top of one of the towers, both to look over the catapult there as well as get a lay of the land thereabouts to see if any advantage could be gained from the terrain outside the fort.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three listened to Korlann's plan in earnest, and nodded her head along. She thought for a few minutes, trying to think of anything she could do to make it more likely to succeed. Then an idea came to her. “I like your plan, Korlann. But I think we can close the gate without the bandits noticing, letting Kuros and I join in the initial ambush.”
    Three turned toward Oleg and nodded apologetically, “We would need you to help Kuros close the door, though. If I can manage to scribe a minor illusion spell tonight, I can make the bandits unable to see what you and Kuros are doing, and the spell's effect should be large enough to cover your escape as well. Just run to the side of the stable and hit the wall, so Dergosh knows when to call on Gruumsh's aid.”
    She looked back to Korlaan and shook her head, “Of course, this depends on me successfully scribing the scroll. It isn't guaranteed. If I fail, we should go with your plan.
    “If I do create the scroll though...” Three looked around the Trading Post for a moment, before spotting the catapult closest to the stable, “I think I should be hiding up there, instead of the cart. It will let me see when all of the bandits have entered so I know when to cast the spell, and keep me far enough away that they may have trouble hearing the incantation.”

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Dergosh made his way up to the southwestern tower of the trading post. A night breeze toyed with his hair. It carried a faint hint of trees and dirt and death. The Greenbelt was barely visible other than as a black stain on the southern horizon. And the country all around the trading post was open grassland rippling silver in the moonlight, with the occasional windbent tree standing sentinel on a lonely roll of hill. Nothing much in the way of cover at all, nothing that would really provide much concealment from a pack of riders.

    It also didn't take much to get a sense of the catapult's state. The rope lashings holding it together were fraying at various points, and this one in particular had a lean on it that Dergosh most often saw in orcs after they'd been drinking a lot of firewater. The catapult was likely as dangerous to its crew as anyone it was aimed at, assuming the whole thing's throwing arm didn't fall off when one loaded it with a rock. It probably had more purpose as firewood than anything else.

    Back down in the square, Oleg had shrugged again. "Whether y' want me behind the door's lockbar or helping you with that wanderwood monster, I'll help. All I care about is that Svetlana's safe." He eyed Three's seven-foot frame before looking up at the same catapult she was looking at; it happened to be the one Dergosh was next to. "I guess you might be able to blend in like you're part of that piece of junk, but let's hope none of the bandits are feeling observant tomorrow morning."

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    "If laid down on the tower, they wouldn't be able to see me that well. It's twenty-feet high and I'm mostly wood. I admit that it isn't that great of a spot, but it does give me a view of the courtyard so I'll know when all of them are inside." Three shrugged her shoulders, "I'm just worried that I'll cast the spell too early, and one of the bandits would pass through it. They'd know for sure it was an illusion, then."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Three is six feet tall, actually.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Kuros' expression becomes uneasy when he hears about Oleg being away from the safety of his home during the ambush. "Perhaps we could close the gate in such a way that you end up on the outside when it's locked Oleg?" Kuros asks then realizes how that sounds and exclaims, "Not that I want to lock you out of your home! I just think it would be safer out there then in here until the bandits are dealt with."

    After Oleg voices his consent or denial, Kuros turns to the others and says, "So are we all ready? Not sure how much sleep I will get tonight knowing what is coming tomorrow, but I will probably need it."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    "Tell you what," said Oleg, with a smile that didn't look entirely heartfelt. "If th' scum kill me tomorrow, you've got permission t' bury me outside the walls and then lock the door behind me. If they kill you and I'm locked outside, there's nothing between them and Svetlana except a big door bolt. No thanks."

    After the discussion was over, the travellers finally trudged towards the trading post’s guesthouse. They found Svetlana finishing up preparation of their beds, a long, log-lined space where six beds had somehow been comfortably accommodated in a space built only for four. The warming irons placed in the beds took the edge off the rising cold in the air outside even before any of the travellers decided to rest for the night. A couple of small candles had been set on small chairs next to the beds, of a variety that would gutter out not long after the travellers slept.

    As with the Levetons’ home, there was little in the way of ornament to the place. The only decoration as such were two simple, hand-made carvings, one on each of the west and east walls. The one on the east wall was simple enough to identify: a stylised sun, the symbol of Lathander – a common sight across the Realms. The one on the west wall was a carefully-carved rose, set on a plaque and hanging directly opposite to Lathander’s symbol.

    There was something oddly compelling about it. “Does this stand for something?” asked Three.
    Svetlana smiled. “It’s the sigil of the Great Mother.”
    “The Great Mother?”
    “Chauntea,” said Gakan. Worship of the goddess was common as dirt down this way. But--
    “Never heard of her called the Great Mother,” said Kuros. “I always thought her symbol was a sheaf of wheat.”
    “So it is, back in Dunbridges. And Falconkeep, and I suppose in Themasulter as well.” said Svetlana. “These lands are older. Wilder. Chauntea’s not just goddess of farmers here, she’s the goddess of hunters and trappers too. The men who come through here believe the Great Mother’s closer to the land here – or some such. That I don’t know, but I do know the people who come through here revere her. Some of them say there’s still shrines and lost places in the woods that are holy to her.”

    The walls closest to the door were also decorated, albeit with somewhat more purposeful fare. Four posters had been tacked onto the walls:






    “Why put these here?” asked Three. “I assume they're jobs available. Wouldn’t you have more attention from passerby out in the market square?”
    Svetlana gave a guilty-looking glance at Ruk. “More attention than we want,” she replied. “If the bandits came and found these who knows what they’d do. And we thought people would remember them better if they were the last things they saw at night and the first things they saw in the morning. Although we've had such little trade through it hardly seems to matter. But your assumption is right - they are jobs available.” She took one last look around the room, seemingly satisfied. “If there’s nothing else, saers, I’ll leave you be. Tonight’s bed and board is entirely at our pleasure.”

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Sheepish at Oleg's offence, Kuros doesn't say anything more on the matter of his safety.

    Kuros gives a hearty thanks for their host's hospitality before throwing his sandals off and flopping onto a bed. He gets up shortly after to look at the bounties posted on the wall. He shakes his head regretfully at the boar posting and the reward of the longbow and says, "I always wanted a longbow. However, the few times I tried to fire one it would splinter if I drew it too hard. When I asked how much it would cost to make a bow that could handle my strength talk of magically treated wood and string made of spider silk was tossed about along with a frighteningly high price. Still I wonder how boar head cheese would taste."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Deciding that there was nothing else to be gained atop the tower, Dergosh made his way down and into the guesthouse where he surveyed the posters with keen interest. He chuckled at the picture of the kobold and its resemblance to Ruk and glared at the picture of the bandit. He examined the drawing of the strange dragon-like serpent with great interest as it appeared as if it would provide a hearty challenge, but it was the poster of Tuskgutter that held his attention the longest.

    After staring at it for some time, Dergosh finally turned away, misty eyed. “Reminds Dergosh of mom,” he mumbled before turning in for the night.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 18/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 ​[20/15/19 w/SoG] | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 [+6 w/bless] melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- cat’s grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)


    Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground
     
    almondsAndRain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New Jersey

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Three looked over the posters. The bandit's will probably be handled in the morning, if enough of them show. Not that there is anything to spend her portion of the reward on, here. The Kobold job would be interesting, if nothing else, because of Ruk. As for the two hunting jobs... well, the Wurm is worth a lot of gold, and Kuros and (possibly) Dergosh have already expressed interest in Tuskgutter.
    Three shook her head in an attempt to lose the excess thoughts. Only the bandits were important right now. She glanced at the beds before turning towards Svetlana and speaking, “Thank you for your hospitality, Ma'am, but I don't sleep. Do you have any wood I can put in the firepit? I'm going to create a scroll and could use the light.” Three shook her head and gave a brief a thumbs-up, “It's alright if you don't, I have oil and a lamp I can use.”

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC thread]

    Oleg's Trading Post, Southernmost Emmerock, the Border Kingdoms
    Eventide, 30th of Mirtul, Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)


    Svetlana smiled. "Of course, saer. I'll bring some from the house right away. Gods' blessings and a good night to you all."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •